Speaker 1: Welcome to a special edition of Dodger Talk David Vassey at Sherwood Country Club, a place where I was married and right now might be divorced here soon. Anyway, we're here for Justin Turner's eighth annual golf tournament. It's a great turnout. A lot of his teammates, former current have showed up to support him. His great agent, the swallest agent and Major League Baseball has showed up, Greg Gensky from Vanners Sports. He will join us a little bit later. Courtney with the K is over there. I tried to steal her her golf cart earlier this morning and she said, hell no, get out of my golf cart and you will find another one. So I said, hey, I just parked it right there, valet style for you. Court with a K. You know I'm here for you. You know. She's a proud new mama. She's helped put together this great golf tournament eight years running. And we're very happy to be out here, and we're hoping to get some of the guys that come back for lunch to stop by. I saw Corey c my favorite Seeger Matty Seger volunteered him to come on the show, so you know that's going to happen. Also, saw my little friend Nick Punto. Nick Punto is going to be here as well. He was one of the players on one of my favorite Dodger teams, the twenty thirteen Dodgers, so looking forward to seeing him. Ryan Pepio is out here, The cat Man, Tony Gonsolin is out here, so we'll see if those guys stop by. Also, we are already giving out awards here at the Justin Turner Golf Tournament. James Loney has won the Worst Dressed Golfer award here early on, especially the I mean, I'm not sure he got the memo. This is not a Christmas ugly sweater event, but he certainly showed up in the ugliest sweater event here at Justin Turner's Golf tournament.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Have you seen loney sweater?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know he knows it's the even this guy knows. He knows it's the worst sweater purple. I mean, can you what lone he's wearing today? I mean, that's why he never won a ring. You're gonna dress like that, You're never gonna win a ring anyway. Eric carros Is representing the Dodger broadcasters in style as always with Travis Matthew. Johnny de Luca, by the way, is here. He's from Agora High School and keeping the receipts. He said, I still own a speaker from Travis Matthew from when we did a pregame interview. I mean, is that what De lucas thinking all the way out there in Tampa Bay. He's worried about a speaker that I didn't or may have forgotten to give him. I mean, does he think I have it in my trunk? No shot? Anyway. This is our first official show since the parade. It was a glorious day at Dodger Stadium that afternoon. You want some hot stove, don't you. I'm going to give you some hot stove. I have Dodger officials monitoring every word I say, but I will still let you know what I know. Justin Turner is not going to be the new first base coach. Despite the tweets I'm getting, Justin Turner is still going to play one more year. He has wanted to play until he's forty years old. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the West Coast he finished last year with the Mariners. I know the Diamondbacks and Angels were interested in him last year, so we'll see whether or not they renew their interest. His agent, Greg Gensky, is going to join us, so we'll see whether or not he has any sort of hints that he wants to drop. As far as where Justin Turner may or may not go, as far as the Dodgers go themselves, ta Oscar Hernandez, I know many of you want him back. He was the heart and soul of the Dodgers. He has He and the Dodgers have been in contact, so that's good news. Really. It feels like a lot of teams out there have their eyes set on starting pitching, and the Dodgers are no different. Hey, there's no mare Garciapara. He tried to act like he didn't see me. But as he's doing right now, walking away with his head down pretending he did not see me, He'll be back. They always come crawling back. They always come crawling back. Just me. Anyway, As far as some of the key free agents from the Dodgers championship team, the Dodgers have remained in contact with Teoscar Hernandez, they have remained in contact with Walker Buehler, who obviously has earned the right to test the free agent market. There are a lot of teams out there that want the services of Walker freaking Bueler. I've heard of six different teams. It feels like a lot of the Aleast teams are in on starting pitching, specifically the Orioles, the Red Sox, the Yankees, whether it's Max Freed, Walker Bueller, or Blake Snell. Those teams are, i guess, in some ways competing with the Dodgers for starting pitching. If you look at it, nothing has changed from the end of the World Series to right now. There are a lot of holes in this starting rotation that need to be filled, and the Dodgers plan on doing so. One guy's out here golfing Tony Gonslin, who may be part of that Dodger pitching staff going into twenty twenty five. Emit sheen't coming off, Tommy John Surgery, River Ryan coming off Tommy John Surgery, Evan Phillips. If we go into the bullpen ended the year not on the World Series roster. Hey, there's two good guys with two great beards, Chris Woodward, No Mar you just made eye contact. You saw me. No Mar, you made I contact. That means you want in. Nomar's gonna want in? Trust me anyway. The Dodgers have the same kind of pitching holes that they ended the season with, so they need starting pitching Roki Sazaki, the Japanese twenty three year old. Yes, of course, the Dodgers, among other teams have No Mar's gonna get I'm sure a chicken sandwich super healthy to embarrass the rest of us. Yeah, I know you are going to get No Mark garciapara, No Mark chance. I could see No Mar getting a chicken sandwich on a lettuce wrap, no cheese, and maybe, uh you know, maybe a tomato on top.
Speaker 4: No tomato, no tomato, tomato out of it. But everything else you said sounds pretty good. Okay, maybe I'll go that route you want me to get you one.
Speaker 1: No, I'll go with the burger.
Speaker 3: You go.
Speaker 1: I'll leave the chicken for you.
Speaker 4: All right, Go with the burger extra mao what you want?
Speaker 1: No Mar. By the way, I know you didn't recognize me because I might be a little bit more swollen than at the end of the year at forty five. No Mar, every day since the end of the World Series. How does it look you might need f ninety.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Let's go ninety and then you work your way down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just saying, but you look great.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Omar, you look good. Black always helps the skinny fat guys.
Speaker 4: Go with that one yes, exactly and then getting one size up on the shirt.
Speaker 1: There you go. How's it going, Omar? Are you swinging out there with christ?
Speaker 4: I mean, this day is perfect. You can ask for a more perfect day on a beautiful golf course. I have a lot of divots out there. I should be collecting them and then I could probably put it in my backyard and have a lawn the amount of divots I've been taking out of this poor course. But it's a perfect day.
Speaker 1: Who did Justin Turner pair you up with?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I got Chris Woodward, I got e K and I got marcos Arius out here as well. So the four of us are out here, and I like to say they are carrying me, and they are.
Speaker 1: No, I don't believe that doubt. Carols looked very stiff this morning. No, he didn't seem like he could really move earlier.
Speaker 4: Listen, Caros does that on purpose so we can sandbag, and all of a sudden he gets loose and then he starts dotting it right, you know, right next to the pin every time, and we're like, you know, nice shot, Ek, We'll use another one of your drives, Ek, and then woo, Woody hits it a ton and we're like, man, we're already. I didn't know you can get this close to the pin off the tea box. That's how good he hits.
Speaker 1: Well. You know, he has this rover job with the Dodgers, so you know what that means. He's to a lot of golf courses.
Speaker 4: Listen, whatever it is swings it really well.
Speaker 1: You've been to a lot of these. You've been to all eight of the Justin Turner golf tournaments. I mean, what does it say about Justin and Courtney to keep this going?
Speaker 4: It says a lot about them, obviously when you see the turnout. First of all, it's so impressive the amount of people are here, the amount of sponsors that are so supportive. I also think it speaks volumes of them as individuals, because so many people want to help, want to contribute, want to back them, because they know all the good things they do in the community and also just amazing human beings that they are, and that helps out a lot to get so much support from the individuals that are out here. So so many people behind the scenes obviously do an amazing job to put this on. But it is really really impressive to see the amount of golfers out here who want.
Speaker 5: To be a part of this.
Speaker 1: And you don't just show up to any golf tournament like James Loney, you actually have some sort of filter here. So for you to be here, you believe in what they do.
Speaker 4: Now, no doubt, you believe in what they do. They do so many great things, and there's a lot of athletes obviously out there that have done that, do amazing things and continue to do stuff.
Speaker 5: You know, JT.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously his time with the Dodgers always be remembered. You know, I'm sure we'll all say, as Dodger fans, he's always a Dodger and look at it that way, and I think that also speaks volumes and he knows that and embraces that and as we should. But he's always taking it a step further and knowing, you know, where he came from, knowing to be able to give back and using that platform and him and Courtney doing an amazing job by doing that.
Speaker 1: Two time batting champion and a champion of the people of Los Angeles. Nomar Garcia Para is joining us from the Justin Turner Golf Tournament. Yes, you were about to say.
Speaker 5: Something I was gonna say, Dave.
Speaker 4: You know, in all seriousness, you look great.
Speaker 1: You know that you look Keep.
Speaker 4: Doing what you're doing and then maybe you know you keep doing it, then maybe and go to the challenges of some of these.
Speaker 5: Players and actually beat them, you know, whether it's.
Speaker 4: A sprint, maybe, you know, maybe it's a push up contest. You go one of these guys and.
Speaker 1: You're doing a lot of burpies these days.
Speaker 4: Go with the burpees and you know, actual burpies or after a drink purpies. Which ones are you.
Speaker 1: Want to go to? A happy hour? This is my area, Nomar. I'll take you a happy hour every.
Speaker 3: Way you're talking, Dave.
Speaker 4: Now we're talking absolutely happy hour.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: I love it. No Mar with chicken sandwiches, chicken sliders, chicken nachos.
Speaker 5: Even better.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe, no Mar, I know you want to eat. Yes, thanks a lot for coming on appreciate it. You know how much I love you.
Speaker 5: You're the best.
Speaker 1: You teach me so much, Nomar Seriously, you teach all of us so much, and you deserve a lot of credit because you worked almost the entire season, if not the entire season. You deserve a championship crown yourself because I know how badly you wanted it for those guys and that coaching staff, and we finally got to see it.
Speaker 4: Well, it was so much fun to watch you. And I know, you know, we're fans, you know, and obviously we're you and I are very fortunate to not only watch these guys perform, but we also get to know them outside of on the field, and they're really easy to cheer for.
Speaker 3: You and I know that.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're just great people as well. So yeah, I think for us to know him on that level, it's an additional, you know, form of excitement and wanting them to win so bad for them because of the work, but just because of they're good guys and they're easy to cheer for. And I think the fans recognized that. I mean, obviously what they brought to Los Angeles was incredible, but it's for us we can always deliver and let the fans know that it's okay to cheer for these guys, because these guys are just as good off the field as you see on the field.
Speaker 1: Nomar well said, we love you, Nomar, You're the best. I want to give theo Epstein the people's elbow after that comeback Netflix show. I'll do it for you. I'll tell you the whole story later, all right, Nomar is a great guy. He was misrepresented in that freaking travesty Boston. No wonder, nobody wants to play there. My guy, Nomar Garciapara, he's the man. Look at Karas he's taking a to go box. He's ready to go. Man, he's moving a lot better than he was when this thing started. No wonder, Nomar is all happy man, and Karros his hair is perfect.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Back in the day when I was watching Eric Carros play, he would go on the Jim Rome Show twenty four to seven, and he is nicknamed back when he was playing was Fabio. And that's the reason why right there there it is he'll be back. They always crawl back, trust me, Eric Carrolls would be crawling back. My guy, Chris Woodward, he doesn't want to come on here. He does not want to come on here. He knows I'm a loose cannon today. I'm a loose cannon today. Oh man, Hey, how dare you? Steve Hartman? Are you kidding me? I do not have new hair. Bosley is my guy. All Right, We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll be joined by more of the celebrities out here that are pretending they want to avoid me, but always find a way back into the seat. All right, Dodger Talk from Sherwood Country Club, a place I got married, and by the way, the marriage is very, very iffy. Right now, we'll send it back to you in the studio for now. More Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app coming up. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vassey out here at Sherwood Country Club for the eighth annual Justin Turner Charity Golf Tournament. And a man that has been a staple of this tournament is one of my favorite Dodgers that I was able to cover. You know, people always talk about how do you get in with players? Wired do you guys seem to be so tight. Well, there were two guys when I first started that really brought me into the inner circle. That was Skip Schumacher and our guest Nick Punto, who is part of the great twenty thirteen Dodgers. Punto, great to see you. Thank you for coming on. I'm sorry we have to do this again.
Speaker 2: I love it, buddy. That was a great prelude, and.
Speaker 7: I just want to first of all say congratulations to our fan base in LA is so cool, unbelievable. They got cheated in twenty not getting to be there in person seeing those guys do it, and they.
Speaker 1: Got cheated in twenty seventeen too.
Speaker 2: They sure in more ways than one, didn't they.
Speaker 7: But I was just thrilled watching that and getting to see them celebrate, and my dear friend Clayton Kershaw couldn't feel more excited for him and the whole fan base.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Were you surprised by the emotions he showed at the parade with the way the fans received him. I mean we talked about this a little bit. He doesn't really show too many emotions.
Speaker 2: He'd you know what, He keeps it pretty close to the vest.
Speaker 7: But when Clayton does let go, it's wide open and raw, and I could feel it through the television, like I got chills as soon as I heard the ovation for him. They know what he's done for this city and for how long he's done it for this city, and it was nice for them to, you.
Speaker 2: Know, give him that ovation that he got.
Speaker 1: Nick Punto and Skip Schumacher have the distinction of not being teammates with Kershaw the year he won the National League MVP, but in his acceptance speech he thanked Skip Schumacher and Nick Punto. How much I haven't talked to you about this. I mean, we're going back a few years now, but since we're on the topic of Kershaw, how much did that mean to you for him at a you know, December acceptance speech for an MVP. Nonetheless, to single out you and little Skippy.
Speaker 2: I was there. I was there.
Speaker 7: I was watching through the television screen with the wife and kids and we had family over and to say I maybe had a tear, it was definitely there. It's Clayton Kershaw is just one of those guys that is so easy to root for.
Speaker 2: His daily habits, the way he cares.
Speaker 7: About his teammates, everything he does is so professional and to get to say that I got to play with probably the greatest lefty of all time is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And if not, Sandy's right there right.
Speaker 1: You know what's weird is how you're at Justin Turner's golf tournament. And I remember after Skip Schumacher and Nick Punto left the Dodgers in spring of twenty fourteen, Nick Punto and Skips Schumacher were a huge void to fill and everybody wondered who was going to fill your void? And it was one guy. It was that guy that needed to fill the void of Schumacher and Punto. And I mean it's turned into something bigger than we all ever thought.
Speaker 7: It's actually incredible what the Dodgers have done for the last what is it eleven seasons? I think twenty thirteen that was the beginning, right, that's the beginning. And they still they they're still going strong. I don't want to jinx anything, but they are going strong. And for me, I feel like they have a chance to.
Speaker 2: Create a dynasty. They're that good.
Speaker 7: The front office is that good, the ownership is that good, that the players are that good. They keep bringing in the right nucleus of players, the energy Like me watching that World Series knowing how much clubhouse culture matters. I'm watching that World Series and literally I knew that we had the advantage. Yeah, Yankees, the dynamics of that clubhouse. You heard Monthsy talk about how connected and this is the best group he's.
Speaker 2: Been a part of. Those are like huge words for a guy that's won that many years in a row.
Speaker 1: This is the group.
Speaker 7: So it was such an easy team to root for. And like I said, I'm elated for the fan base and proud to be a Dodger fan.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Nick Punto can appreciate. And maybe his favorite player on the Dodgers is Tommy Edmond. I mean, come on, that seems like Nick Punto written all over it.
Speaker 7: That is my style, buddy, you got it. Yeah, just a baseball player. He is a baseball player looking for the weaknesses. The guy's playing back a little bit, he's gonna lay down the bun, He's gonna get the guy over. He is a baseball player through and through, and they have a bunch of them. They actually have a bunch of them. You know, one of their superstars in Mookie Bets is a true baseball player. Yeah, a guy that's a right Fielder willing to go play the infield, like, those are the sacrifices that create a winning culture.
Speaker 2: And it's a special group.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Mookie Bets, his daughter wasn't feeling well, so he had to leave to pick her up. So the door is wide open for Punto, Ryan Peppio, Justin Turner and whoever else is your fourth to take over Seer? Yeah, I've heard of him before. He's decent.
Speaker 2: Now we're having a blast.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's a complete rigged tournament with you guys all together. Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: You know, Justin knows what he's doing. He picks the pretty group. Pretty good group here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pretty goop. Yeah, you guys are pretty too.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, Cory Seger.
Speaker 7: That's a tall drink of water, isn't it. Yeah, But yeah, thanks for having me. We got to go tee off.
Speaker 1: And I love you. You know how much I love you, And I can't thank you enough. And you know, Skip.
Speaker 2: My last thing is this is kind of weird.
Speaker 7: But my last thing is when we talk about clubhouse culture and winning and how much that stuff matters, you actually have a part in this, Like, because I've never been around a guy that is around the team that the team is so comfortable with, and you just have that natural gift.
Speaker 2: And I really do appreciate.
Speaker 7: Everything you've done for the organization, and you know, more importantly, our friendship.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, like you and Skip started this. I've heard you guys pass the baton forward in a lot of different ways. So you guys just vouching for me. I mean, honestly, I'll never forget it. And I know people that are around the Dog now that weren't around in twenty thirteen. They get tired of me saying how much I loved the twenty thirteen Dodgers. But I mean, honestly, you guys were one of my favorite group of players to be around. And it was so you guys were true good people and great ballplayers. And you guys started this. It started in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 1: I always tell Gonzo it's the Nick Punto trade. It's not the Gonzo trade. It's the Puto trade.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Oh man, all right, good second half, love you too. There he goes Nick Punto. We gotta take a picture first, Puto make it official. Oh yeah, baby, yeah, ah, there we go. Yeah, there's my guy, Nick Punto. We'll keep it going, Pepio, I'll be reeling you in after you guys win this tournament. Yeah, I know this is a complete rig job. I mean this is like up there in uh Weird Seegert, Segert. I got a Travis Matthew polo in my trunk. Let me get you on. We'll make it happen. It's in my trunk too. I got a lot in my trunk. I got a lot of things in my trunk. We'll continue from Justin Turner's Golf Tournament. More to come. These guys love to pretend they don't want to see me, but I always reel them back in. They always come crawling back. I always come crawling back. Dodger talk from Justin Turner's Golf Tournament. I'm ball washing all day long right here for interviews on a five to seventy LA sports. We are live at the Justin Turner eighth Annual Golf Tournament. Justin Turner has tried to blow up every single interview that I have done here today. He's got a baby gift in his arms right there. I don't know what he's up to, but you know I know I'm not petros Or money. But I'm supposed to be hosting this reception tonight, a lake call on the back nine where he went to the bullpen. I'm not really sure who backed out where they needed me to host this reception and live auction. But David Vassey is in the saddle. Even though my guy, Justin Turner has tried to blow up every single interview at this golf tournament today, Hey there, he is the host with the most Justin Turner, LA's favorite son.
Speaker 8: Listen, David, I I'm gonna take all the credit for your career. I think when I first became a Dodger in twenty fourteen is when Dave Assay and Dodger Talk kind of first came on the map. And I always make fun of you until you have a face for radio. But you are coming through in the clutch.
Speaker 5: Tonight.
Speaker 8: You're gonna host the dinner event for the Foundation because I want to expand your career and give you an opportunity to spend some more time on TV. I want to get you out of the out of the little media well and maybe we can get you up in the booth to do a game.
Speaker 1: I like this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's get you on Sportsnet. Let's get you on TV. We can bump who can we bumped.
Speaker 1: Out hartungk Oral hartong Omar, one of those guys.
Speaker 5: Give them a day off.
Speaker 8: And let's let's get mass in the booth for a game and see what you got.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you? So you feel like tonight is my moment, like eminem, here's my opportunity one shot. I better not blow it?
Speaker 5: Is that is that throw up on your sweater? Are you nervous?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Have you seen the movie?
Speaker 3: Yes, he does throw up.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's how I feel right now.
Speaker 5: That was a reference. Yes, I'm all in okay, Yes in Detroit, Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: We're in Surewood. It's very similar.
Speaker 5: I don't know what a day to day though, What a great day. My goodness, the weather couldn't have been any better.
Speaker 1: And I think that was God shining down on you and Courtney for all the great work you've done starting from when you began with the Dodgers. What does it mean to you to have former current guys that you play against show up to support your foundation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this was This was fantastic. I think you know.
Speaker 8: Obviously, my nine years as Dodger has been up and I've bounced around to a couple different places over the last couple of years. And I think the one thing that that's done, other than give me opportunities and kind of expanding, Court and Eye's traveling and exploring the country and and even other countries in Canada, but it's allowed us to make a lot more relationships around the league. And you know, this was always a very Dodger heavy event, and it still has a very heavy Dodger presence here, but we've been able to expand out and there's you know, guys from the Rays, and guys hitting coach from the Orioles and Seegers with the Rangers now and guys from all over the league. Cal Rally come down from Seattle to join us, and Pico Armstrong yeah here and Johnny de Luca is out here. So it's really kind of spreading and getting around the league, and we're just trying to get more and more guys out here to make it a great experience for all of our supporters who come out every year and donate to the foundation and really are the backbone of Court and I being able to have such an impact on the community. So uh, it's been awesome. James Loney's here, Travis Darnault's here, a New Angel. Yeah, so we got guys. Josh Satin, former New York met so Ike Davis, former teammate of mine.
Speaker 5: So there's guys. I'm looking at. Jaron Duran, Boston Red. Yeah, so's he's a wildcard.
Speaker 1: Did he throw a golf club out there?
Speaker 5: No, that's my guy.
Speaker 1: He's a great guy, long beach steak guy.
Speaker 8: I'm amazingly we got along very well for him being a guy and me being a cal State ForwArt and guy. But he made the drive up from Huntington Beach this morning, so I think it took him like two hours and forty minutes. Uh, and he still made it out here. So just so thankful for all these guys and appreciative of their support and and obviously you know, everyone who's out here sponsoring the event, coming out playing and allowing us to really impact people's lives.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. Justin Turner and his wife Courtney Turner keeping the foundation alive here in Los Angeles and expanding all over the country. I was wondering, and fans are wondering, what were your thoughts watching the Dodgers World Series celebrate and getting the parade. I know a lot of people in the world these days have fomo, but I never got that impression from you.
Speaker 5: Well, you're wrong. It's definitely fomo. You know.
Speaker 8: That was something that as long as I had been with the Dodgers, I talked about it openly. Wanted to bring back a championship for this city and wanted to give him a parade and end that drought. And the fact that we got to do that in twenty twenty but didn't get to celebrate it the right way, it definitely has still left a bad taste in my mouth. It's still something that I want to experience, not discounting the championship at all, but wanting to feel what it's like afterwards to get that treatment from the city, from the fans, celebrate it the right way. And you know, the fact that they got it done this year, I think is huge and I think the city deserves it. I think the city felt cheated out of it in twenty twenty. So obviously they showed up in droves and the parade was great.
Speaker 5: The guys got to do it.
Speaker 8: I got to talk to a few of them here to day and just ask them what it was like. And you know, it was everything I thought it would be and more so. Hopefully I got a few more years in me and we can make a run and I'll get to enjoy one of those.
Speaker 1: That would be special. And it felt like a lot of those teammates that were with you in twenty they were referencing guys like yourself saying this is for them as well. We wish they were here as well to experience that. I know that's not the same, but how much did you appreciate they were thinking of you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? It was great.
Speaker 8: And you know, I've had a lot of people ask me like, why weren't you guys there? You guys should have came up and and you know, I think a few a few of the guys that I've talked to from the twenty twenty team that weren't on the twenty four team, you know, we still talk and we were falling along we were watching the series, and I think we all had kind of the same thought like listen, like this isn't about us and the twenty twenty team, like they got it done this year, they're champions. None of us want to go up there and take anything away from what they did this year. So it was as nice of a gesture as it was from fans and you know, media and people reaching out saying, oh, you.
Speaker 5: Guys should be here, you guys should be celebrating. You know. I just don't think it was appropriate like this.
Speaker 8: This was about the twenty twenty four team and what they accomplished and winning the tournament, which I think is As a Dodger player who was here for nine years, nine playoff appearances, and only won one championship.
Speaker 5: I truly appreciate how hard it is to win that tournament and be the last one standing.
Speaker 1: So, hey, Dodger, those of them Dodger fans aren't closing the door on you. You still want to play, even though I'm getting tweets about you being the first base coach.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean they don't even work, so they don't even want me to announce my retirement. Yeah, I come coach first base, and I'm like, dude, I still got some good years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So.
Speaker 8: I am not retiring. I'm still playing and I will be out there this year. So no, I'm not taking interviews for the.
Speaker 1: First base job. For the player coach. You could be like Pete Rose without the betting.
Speaker 5: I mean, come on, we want to talk about betting?
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good. Hey, before I let you go, you're a big sports fan. I've been itching to ask you about the Tyson Jake Paul fight. Did you watch it? And did you think that was fixed? Because now I'm looking back, feels like Jake Paul was kind of maybe not taking it as hard as he might have on Tyson. Did you were you let down by the fight? And did your Wi Fi go out like ours? Or the buffering?
Speaker 8: I was frustrated that I had to keep refreshing my Netflix.
Speaker 5: Yeah, watch that.
Speaker 8: And I think obviously there's a lot of stuff going around the internet on what's what and what's going on, but I think some of the incentives are were very very uh I guess revealing to the fact that they wanted the fight to go eight rounds, they wanted it to go to decision, and I think that made everyone a lot happier financially.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it did. Yeah, and that's the unfortunate.
Speaker 8: I think I would love to see them go at it and just have all things equal and see what happens no matter what. But you know, it is what it is. It's an entertainment world. It's an entertainment business. Jake Paul's an entertainer, and you know, I think they're going to have to start putting on some better shows though, if they're gonna want people to tune into his future fights.
Speaker 1: Well said, great to see you out here. Thank you for having us out here, and I'm looking forward to hosting the live auction and the reception. I'm looking to get you and the foundation more money than ever earned before in this live auction, will get it for you.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I'm going to deliver for you.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 8: I tell you this every time I talk to you, and I give you probably a harder time than anyone I've ever been around in this game. But Court and I love you. We thank you for your support. We're so happy you're up here doing the show, and we appreciate you. We appreciate everything you do for us, and I'm happy to call you a good friend of mine.
Speaker 1: So damn JT. You do so much for everybody. People need to start doing stuff for you because you give, you need to start receiving.
Speaker 5: So no, no, We'll always give.
Speaker 1: Small, small portion right here.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: We love you, JT. You know, La loves you, will always love you, and somehow, some way you'll be back with the Dodgers. Not this year, not over yet.
Speaker 5: Well, we don't know. I'm a free agent.
Speaker 1: Hey, you never know, you never know. Hey, all right, JT, thanks a lot, thankanks for having us there, he goes Justin Turner. We're gonna take a social media photo here to make it official. Oh man, Justin Turner is the best looking forward to this. Hey, my pleasure. Thank you, all right, Justin Turner, The Justin Turner Foundation, eighth Annual Golf Tournament. We're gonna keep things rolling, kind of like the Wolf of Wall Street. We're not going anywhere. We're not going anywhere. That's right. Hey, we're seeger he said he would do this. Let's go. All right, We're gonna continue with more. Right from Sherwood Country Club on a five to seventy LA Sports. We are live at the Justin Turner Golf Tournament, eighth annual golf tournament benefiting the Justin Turner Foundation, and we have Dodger Royalty right around the desk. Two Dodgers National League Rookies of the Year, one older than the other, one in nineteen ninety two, won the National League Rookie of the Year, the string of five in a row, Eric Harros whose nickname was Fabio back when he played. And we have a man that won back to back Rookies of the Year with my other favorite, Cody Bellinger, and that is the one and only two time two time World Series Champion, two time two time World Series MVP, the one and only Corey Seeger, Corey Man. You know, this is the only reason why I come out here is to see you. I might walk away now, Yeah, come on, come on, man.
Speaker 3: It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Great to see you.
Speaker 3: You too.
Speaker 1: How'd you guys swing today?
Speaker 3: We put a good run on it. We might be at the top of that leaderboard, so we'll find out.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, watch out.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, hey, I'm telling you. The way you're playing it down makes this even more suspicious that Justin Turner rigged to win his own golf tournament.
Speaker 3: Hey, sometimes youatta, you know?
Speaker 1: Sometimes did Ryan Pepio hit a hole in one again?
Speaker 3: No, but he came pretty close a couple times, did he really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I killed the ball, Oh God, drove the green a couple of times.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: We oh, I out there.
Speaker 1: I was out there. I saw what you guys were doing out there. Geez, Justin Turner, what does he mean to you? Why do you and Maddie Seeger come all the way back to California for this golf tournament? I know, it's not just because of golfing. You come because of Courtney and Justin and what they do.
Speaker 3: Yep, we come for the humans. You know, they're just they're incredible people. How they've supported the city, how their foundation has just supported many people. You know, that's why you come. You know, it's the relationship of me and him, Courtney and Maddie, even me and court right, like, we're all we're all good for it, and so it's just that relationship that brings you out here and you know and will always be out here.
Speaker 1: It feels like anybody from those teams from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, if anybody needed the other, it feels like you guys would be there for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, you know, we were a really close group, and you're right, just the support that we have for each other and just spend a lot of years together and you become friends. You know, it's on and off field, but mostly off the field. Now that we're all, uh, we're all good friends still and stick together and we show up, you know, that's what you're supposed to do for your teammates and your friends.
Speaker 1: Now that you're all married and all of you now have kids, it felt like there was a lot less well now you that's right. I'm sorry. I was thinking Justin and Courtney with bo Courtney.
Speaker 3: That's a cute little kid.
Speaker 1: Cute little kid, a lot of ginger, a lot of gin there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cute kids.
Speaker 1: It's great when you could give it back to the parents.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's where on map. But no, he's a cute little guy, that one that you might run away with.
Speaker 1: All right, let's run let's rewind. All you got married within a year of each other. I mean, that was the most insane thing. I was very much against all of you getting married. I wanted you guys to live life to the fullest, even though I do at this point in time, even though I'm married. I felt like I was saying, hey, guys, I mean, it's great to be in somebody else's wedding, but you may want to pump the brakes on getting married.
Speaker 3: No, we all live our lives with our wives.
Speaker 1: Now, Maddie, I met Maddie, except Maddie, except Mattie Seeger. I love Mattie Seeger.
Speaker 3: She made my life better. That's why we got married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did. You need a woman that makes you better. My godfather said a woman will make you or break you, and Maddie Seeger has made you.
Speaker 3: She tries to break merry.
Speaker 1: Hey, I told you I live in the doghouse, you do, see right there, that's where we got married. I feel like the divorce is coming pretty soon too, right here.
Speaker 3: At the place she got married.
Speaker 5: You In a.
Speaker 1: Second, Hey, did you watch the World Series or no?
Speaker 3: We were in Europe? So really yeah, so the time change was hard.
Speaker 1: But did you plan that you didn't want to see the playoffs?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, I I was. I was excited for all those guys that over there. I was excited for the city, you know, not having to parade in twenty twenty. That's said. He deserved that. So it was it was really cool to see it. It was it was awesome to uh just kind of live through him. So it was a cool moment for them.
Speaker 1: How about Walker Buell or a guy you knew when he first came up to see him have that moment feels like he was ready for when he had that final strikeout to give that pose.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know he he deserved that moment though. You know that that guy's been through a lot and to be able to come back and compete. And that's the guy you on the mountain. You know when we were when we were playing together, that's the guy we always want on the mound. So he's a special person and the right guy for that spot.
Speaker 1: I'm a true believer in there are guys made for October. It seems like he is made for October.
Speaker 3: He absolutely is made for October. There's a there's a game you need to win. That's the guy you want on the mountain.
Speaker 1: Corey seekers the guy I want at the plate too.
Speaker 3: I'd rather hit him on the mountain, Dang, I have both.
Speaker 1: Hey, Europe, by the way, Maddie seeger see making you more global. I don't think you've ever left what North Carolina before, and now she's taking you to Europe. Where did she take you? I'm a world traveler now, I mean I feel like you've been to only Major League Baseball cities and North Carolina.
Speaker 3: You're not far off.
Speaker 1: And she took you to Europe just a couple where Yeah, you're right. Where did she go in Europe? Think?
Speaker 3: We started in Rome, then we went to Tuscany, Lake Como, and then the last three days we were in Switzerland we did Lucerne and Zurich.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite city in Europe?
Speaker 3: Lake Como?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, it was like a green screen. It felt like I was staring at a green screen all year.
Speaker 1: Now, all day. Now you know why Clooney goes.
Speaker 3: There, no doubt, I completely get it. You know, just that place was pretty, specially another food. It was incredible. Just anywhere you went, it was a it was a cool experience.
Speaker 1: Tuscany very big, wine country right there.
Speaker 3: Very big. We went to a couple of wineries. It's really pretty. We say it, this like kind of almost castle venue that was up on a hill and it spread out of like four thousand acres.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was really cool. It was really cool.
Speaker 1: Damn, I take it back. I'm happy you got married. See you never would have done that.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 1: I would have never left Matty Seger. She's the winner.
Speaker 3: We live them too, and I owe.
Speaker 1: Maddy Seeger a lot. Without her, you would not be sitting here. She gave the green light. She said, Corey, I would really appreciate it if you spoke to the great David Vass.
Speaker 3: She's the boss, and I always say yes.
Speaker 1: Dang, Hey, I'm available if you need me for ranger talk. I would come to Texas for Corey Seeger and Matty Seeger. I'm available.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's the boss.
Speaker 1: Hey, could be my last dance with the Dodgers ranger talk. I'll go where Corey Seger or Cody Bellinger?
Speaker 3: Are you went out on top?
Speaker 1: Hey, I'd be with a winner. I'd be with a winner. Hey, great to see you. Thank you for stopping by.
Speaker 3: Always good to see you.
Speaker 1: Don't ever leave. I'm not letting you leave. He just stay.
Speaker 3: I'll stay here all day with you.
Speaker 1: Just you though, Man, that's awesome. That's all. Thank you. I appreciate that she didn't.
Speaker 3: She didn't make me come here. This was all out of me.
Speaker 1: Want to I know you did. Hey? Are you staying for the live auction and dinner?
Speaker 3: Of course I am.
Speaker 1: They just wrangled me to hope.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be should I mean you see this, boy, is how you're going. You're the perfect after this perfect candidate.
Speaker 1: So what is it? Can I use you to jack up the price on a few live auction items.
Speaker 3: I don't think you'll need to use me. I think she's gonna be the one doing it for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go, all right? Awesome, Wow, I got the green light from Corey Seger.
Speaker 3: She likes that Hawaii trip, so man, somebody that's her.
Speaker 1: Hey, can you believe I've known Corey Seger? The first time I ever met Corey Seger, he was in the press box at Dodger Stadium after he won Minor League Player of the Year and they were giving you the tour. You had the suit on. I mean, and look where you've come, have you? I mean, at this point in time, can you ever reflect where you started and just where you've gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a long time ago, though, But happens fast, doesn't it. No? I mean you never imagine that, right, Like, you never know how it's going to pan out. You just trying do your job, trying to do as well as you can. You know, you never expect anything. So to be where I am, it's it really is a blessing and couldn't have done it without people like you could have done it out with my wife, and you know, you just you run into a lot of good people. You know, that's kind of why we're here. You know. JT helped me in my career. You know, all those guys, and that's that's why you show up for him. You know, it means a lot.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Kershaw means a lot because of the work ethic and just what he stands for. I feel like you guys have a lot of similarities and just how you approach life, how you approach the game, You respect the game, do you do you guys connect in that way?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely, you know I think that's kind of the fortunate thing that I had for myself as a young guys. I watched guys who did it the right way and they let people be people, you know. They they understood how I did it and got the best out of me and they let me do that, you know, and just a blessing for me to be able to have that and that point in my career. You know, you're still trying to figure it out. There's a lot going on, there's things you don't know about, and they're just there to help you and kind of keep you in line, right, So that was that was everything for me as a young guy.
Speaker 1: For sure, I feel like he's told me this. He doesn't look back at old starts. He just moves on to the next five day routine. I know, as a hitter, maybe you want to look back at at bats, but I get the sense from you it's the same thing. I don't care what I did to October's ago. I don't care about the World Series. I don't care if I went zero for four or four for four yesterday. You care about today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's it's all about today, right. We're judged at seven o'clock that night. You know that you were not judged from seven o'clock to night before the next days. It's all about that day and winning that day, and that team was really special about being able to just be in the moment and win that day, and that's what you have to do to be good.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about rich Hill speaking of that. He was about being where your feet are. Yeah, he's pitching for Team USA right now.
Speaker 3: I know, isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: I mean he wanted to keep pitching, and look, he found a place exactly right. America's pitcher for America's team.
Speaker 3: Oh man, he's going to be a beauty in that club. Man.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I think they're in Tokyo right now.
Speaker 3: Are they really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool. That's that's really cool. I bet he's actually enjoying that a lot.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Be where your feet are, Seeger, That's what Riche'll taught me.
Speaker 3: I'm being right here beside you. That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Nice. Nice, Thank you for coming by. Appreciate it, Corey seeger Man. People get on me for going back to say how to this guy. No chance, I never turned my back on this guy. There he goes one of our favorites, Cory Sieger. He's been out here every year supporting Justin Turner, and he certainly is a champion himself. We're gonna continue with more from Justin Turner's eighth annual golf tournament right here on five seventy LA Sports. A great Agora Hi Man has joined us here on Dodger Talk. That is the one and only Tampa Bay Ray Johnny de Luca, who still got an extraordinary mustache even amongst the people of Florida. Johnny d thanks a lot for coming on. Appreciate it. It feels like you you had no choice to come on, but I appreciate you coming on anyway.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm sort of mad right now, pissed off that I'm not playing very good golf, but I'm on here to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Are you a good golfer? Are you supposed to play good?
Speaker 9: I'm not supposed to play good, but it's still fun to have a few good shots now.
Speaker 1: And then I was taken aback. I haven't seen you since you were traded, and you're keeping receipts on me about a Travis Matthew speaker.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you didn't give me a speaker. I still got that on you. I want to send to the.
Speaker 1: House, dude, I sent it to Tropic cana Field. And then all of a sudden, you guys are not playing there. No way that I feel like you're gonna get it this year. It's somehow someway you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Get it better.
Speaker 1: Hey, how was your first year in Tampa Bay? Like, I mean, I was watching you. I was watching you.
Speaker 9: It was good, way different, great group of guys, obviously different atmosphere, but I had a ton of fun and was able to play a lot. And uh, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: I guess bittersweet, right, you wanted to be part of the Dodgers, but you've got an opportunity now to show who you can be for sure.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's just part of the game that happens to everyone one and you got to be prepared for it. And I couldn't think of a better organization to take me in. And great people, great staff. I mean, both are great organizations that I was able to play for. But I'm very fortunate, very blessed to be able to play for them. Right now.
Speaker 1: I got to meet Eric Neander for the first time actually, uh with Andrew Friedman the night they traded you and Pepio, and he seems to be a really authentic guy that has obviously the organization's best interests at heart, but does care about the players.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, for sure, he spot on right there. Eric's a great guy. He was always in the clubhouse, always talking to the guys. So yeah, it's fun to play for a guy like that, and you know, have that those those brains in the back room being able to make those moves, someone you trust and someone who has our back, and yeah, great, dude.
Speaker 1: It's awesome that Johnny de Luca and PCA Pete Crow Armstrong are at Justin Turner's golf tournament. Because these two guys made two three for the greatest I have ever seen. I mean, are you comparing notes with PCA over here? Who had the better catches against the or for the Dodgers and against the Dodgers. You and Texas a few different times at that Globalife Field Series, and he had a few robberies at Dodgers Stadium in September.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we haven't talked about it, but I think I think I did see the highlights of his His are pretty good. So yeah, he's a He's a pretty crazy athlete and fun guy to watch.
Speaker 1: Who, by the way, are you grouped up with in this tournament.
Speaker 9: I'm with the Darnault's and Jaren duran Oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't know who the other Darnault was. They have great rounded faces, Like I mean, I feel like that's what separates them.
Speaker 9: Crush the golf ball, Yeah, very far, A lot farther than I can.
Speaker 1: It is. Both Darnault's hit it far, both of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw them at the Breakfast burrito truck earlier this morning. Yeah, they're way down Breakfast burritos. How about mustakas. He seems very confused.
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's going on here, what is going on over there? So are you coming back to Aga for good? Or what's the story here?
Speaker 9: I'll be uh, I'll be up here for most of the off season.
Speaker 1: All right. Yeah, if you need me to shag, let me know I'm available.
Speaker 5: I will.
Speaker 9: I will for sure call you up once I get my speaker, you can.
Speaker 1: I will bring the speaker to a Gora High.
Speaker 9: De Luca High School.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: There, that's a good spot.
Speaker 1: I will. That's a great meeting. Great meeting spot you and me. No, how about if I meet you there?
Speaker 9: Okay, you can meet me there.
Speaker 1: Okay, good luck to second half of this golf tournament. Remember it's for charity. De Luca exactly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're having fun. We're having fun.
Speaker 1: You keep telling yourself that this is going to change the karma. I love you De Luca. You're the man man. Just drop the mic, just slammed it down, all right. I guess the note broadcasting classes out there, Dan de Luca, Johnny de Luca is our guy. He's out here with the darnos from Johnny de Luca to a Harvard westlay guy from one end of the one oh one to the other end of the one oh one, the great Pete crow Armstrong from Harvard West Chicago cub There he is a lot of rivalry, lot tension between Johnny de Luca and Pete crow Armstrong right there. And there's Jared Duran. Don't mess with that Daude Gorby State dirtbag right there, long beach dirt bag. You don't mess with those guys. Yeah, baby, Pete crow Armstrong. Great to have you out here, justin Turner's golf tournament. How you doing.
Speaker 6: I'm outstanding. My foursome shot a good round, so I'm feeling really good about about the day.
Speaker 1: Were you with Duran and De Luca?
Speaker 6: No, they were right behind us, But no, I was with Jay Gibbons. It was with Tommy Joseph, and I was with Cal Raley. So as you can imagine those boys at.
Speaker 5: The ball far.
Speaker 1: Do you play a lot of golf.
Speaker 6: As of recently the last year and a half, I have.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I live out in Arizona now, so I play a fair amount of golf out there.
Speaker 1: How is your life changed because Cubs fans they don't know how to act. They're wild fans. You can't just walk down the street in Chicago. What's it been like for a guy that's humble, understated but confident.
Speaker 6: H It's a good question. I mean, yeah, Cubs fans are nuts in the in all the best ways. I lived in Wrigleyville this year, so well, like I ended up seeing a few familiar faces just walking on the street and stuff. And I mean you mentioned understated. I think Cubs fans also have a bit of of that in them as well. They're kind and respectful and and love being out at the ballpark more than anything. And I think, uh, I think I just built a nice group of friends behind me in the bleachers in left center and right center.
Speaker 1: I bet you have with that glove that you got, you should win a goal glove multiple times here, p Crow Armstrong. It feels like, uh, you're even surpassing Cody Bellinger, who was known for his great defense in center field. Uh. What's it like from a guy like that?
Speaker 6: Uh? You know, I felt like I got it from him last year.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: He he kind of told me clear cut that that he wanted the center field to be my position and that meant the world only because not to not to date Cody too much, but that was a guy that I watched for for a you know, solid four or five years growing up in LA not being a Dodger fan, you know, it was easy to really enjoy watching Cody play. So getting to take over his you know what is what is really how I remember him as a as a center fielder, taking over his position. It's a big it's a big honor. I mean that. I don't take that lightly either, you know. I I love defense, and I it's all I want to do every day is impact the game on the other side of the ball. But to be able to do it next to Cody and next to Ian and be in the middle of a of a you know, pair of gold glovers, that's that's really cool. It makes me want that myself.
Speaker 1: Man, you play with your hair on fire. I mean September tenth at Dodger Stadium, you saved the game for the Cups. I feel like that's one of the games that will stand out to me all season long, just the insane catches you were making. Being a guy that grew up watching Cody Bellinger growing up a Dodger fan, in l A. I mean, how did that the experience? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I mean Showed had a great start too, Yeah, Showed I had an amazing start.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: He was letting them put the ball in play, which is kind of what you need to do against the Dodgers, and he was he was competing really really all game. And then even that, even right before that play, Porter Porter Hodge having his little heart. I don't know if it was a if it's an, I don't know it was. It was something going on with Porter, and and it was serious. So being able to Yes.
Speaker 5: I let him drag me in here.
Speaker 1: Man, I couldn't even get past his table road. He was just a turner. What a host? What a host driving my guests away?
Speaker 5: Listen, I carried this guy's show for like nine years.
Speaker 1: Hey, you be sitting here, you're just passing the torch to me.
Speaker 5: Now, man, I'll be the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'll be back soon, that's right. But yeah, what an amazing game, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was just a good way to end that game. I mean, those are those are three big games that we played in LA that were you know, I think that third one was pretty impactful in terms of how our season ended. And you know, I we had opportunities to take that whole series and and maybe go on to maybe go.
Speaker 1: On, where's he going? By the way, I.
Speaker 5: Think I'm done here. I'm kidding. I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: Uh No.
Speaker 6: I mean that was just an important series. And I think when when I get into situations like that, and when I mean when our team got into situations that that felt pressed or you know, the big stressful kind of moments. I think the Cubs responded well. And I don't know, I that was great to do it in Dodger Stadium. I thought the fans were rowdy and energetic, and they were They were making me want to go make every one of those plays. So and it's easy doing it for show to too, you know, he keeps you locked in all game. And then for Porter two, Porter works his works his tail offs. So I mean, that's what I live for, That's what I wake up to do.
Speaker 3: In the morning.
Speaker 6: So it was nice to be able to execute simply put.
Speaker 1: So cool and Harvard was It's like known for pitching. I'm glad I hit her. A center fielder is putting them on the map. Yeah, come on, it's not just about Freed and gi Alito and Flaherty. Man.
Speaker 6: I know, man, those those three schmucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they paved the way.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 6: I'm glad I was able to be the and and I'm not the first, you know, big league position player to come out of Arbor Westlake. We had a few before us, and I think what I'm looking to do is just be the one that sticks and and uh you know, makes Harvard Westlake known for for producing outfielders. We have a really good group outfielders that came through around my time and even past me. So you know, I think the outfield is the next next point of focus for Arbert Westlake. If I'm going to make any sort of prediction.
Speaker 1: Love it, Love it. Pee Crow Armstrong. You're not my favorite Cub because Cody Bellinger is my favorite Cub, but you're not your second, your second Pie Crow Armstrong too.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you coming by. Appreciate it a lot. Pete Crow Armstrong, who put his name on the map at Dodger Stadium in his own backyard. We're gonna take a photo for social media here, PCA. That's my guy right there, and we're gonna continue with more from the Justin Turner golf tournament next right here on five seventy LA Sports. All Right, a man that has helped guy Justin Turner throughout his major league career is his great agent from Vyner's Sports, the one and only Greg Gensky, who is the smallest agent in Major League Baseball. If you want muscle and you want a great agent, this is your guy, Greg Genski. Greg, thanks a lot for coming on.
Speaker 10: Wow, what an introduction, mister Vasse. Thank you very much, and thank you for having me now. I appreciate it. A great Pepperdine grad. I know you're disappointed that I'm here. Yeah, are we going to start this right now? As told Matt money Smith going, Oh come on, Greg, Wow, he's supposed to be a college reunion.
Speaker 1: Oh man, he's not here. You've had enough of the pepperhead reunions. I have family in Malibu. They said they used to call the Pepperdine kids pepperheads. You guys would infiltrate the Malibu in Lily's all those places.
Speaker 10: I was totally undercovered the whole time I was there. I was a local. Oh you couldn't have suggested otherwise.
Speaker 1: So you're not just an agent, you find a way to really get into the waves. And are you a Malibu surfer or are you an Orange County surfer? Now?
Speaker 10: I'm more of an Orange County surfer now, But while I was there, I mean loved it, love surfing Malibu all the way up to County Line. Now it's more about Trestl's and San Clemente type waves.
Speaker 1: So, being a guy that went to college at Pepperdine, You've been obviously in the agency business for a long time. Do you feel like Justin Turner has really ingratiated himself as one of the most popular Dodgers in the last forty to fifty years.
Speaker 10: No question about it. And you know, I grew up in Southern California, grew up a Dodger fan, and I have now been an agent for a long time, for over twenty years, believe it or not. And I've represented lots of great people and lots of great athletes and all kinds of different sports. And I'd say that nobody has made an impact quite the same way that Justin Turner has, and I think that impact is still felt, you know, in Los Angeles, really in all the southern California and really the most remarkable thing for me is, you know, as he's gotten into more of a transition into other markets, like making the move from being a you know, a face of the franchise in La to Boston is a huge move and with most players I represent, it would have been a difficult transition for Justin, I mean, as smooth as can be could have run for mayor of Boston with their yea being there. Similarly the transition to Toronto and then you know, even to Seattle. So I think you talk about a person who is just so open and welcoming, you know, a leader in the clubhouse right away, and a leader in the community. And you know, that's what we're here celebrating, is how he and Courtney are such leaders, you know, in the community and just lead by example and managed to have a great life, you know, and whatever city they wind up in.
Speaker 1: I know, players start foundations, and sometimes players are more involved in those foundations than others. But I think back to the pandemic when everything was shut down and Justin and Courtney were taking money out of their own pocket to feed people out there in Echo Park. There were for a few different places and kids that you know usually got free lunches at school, they would find their way to wherever. Justin and Courtney, we're trying to feed the city. What do you when you think back to that time, is that unheard of for a player to go to those extents?
Speaker 10: It is incredibly unheard of. And so you know, we as an agency are always really encouraging our clients to get involved in philanthropy, and we actively get involved with our clients. But I've never seen, you know, an athlete I've represented or otherwise where they were more involved in their own foundation and not only making it a great foundation with great events, but I mean personally carrying the load and I mean that financial yess you just mentioned, but also from a labor standpoint, like themselves showing up, running, delivering you know, much needed things to the beneficiarias of their different endeavors. It's truly remarkable. And I remember, I'm always I don't do this anymore, but you know, ten years ago I would offer up all these people to help and this and then like, no, no, this is what we do, right, you know, we run this, We personally do this because that's their passion. You know, Justin would say, you know, I you know, I'm not going on surfing trips like you. Yeah, I'm not like a golfer trying to get to scratch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: This is how this is how I want to spend my free time. And so he and Courtney you have just really dedicated their lives to it.
Speaker 1: Greg Gensky is our guest. He is from Vanners Sports. He's one of the biggest agents in all of sports in Major League Baseball, and he represents our very own Justin Turner. So you're the perfect guy to ask the question that I'm always asked. Greg. He's a free agent again, everybody wants to know, is there any chance Justin Turner comes back to the Dodgers. I know it's hard for players to go back to where they were, but what is the future for Justin Turner and free agency?
Speaker 10: Well, you know, this free agency period is going to be a very active one for Justin. There are a number of teams that are interested, and you know we're going to continue to have those conversations. And you know, it's really fun with Justin in free agency because not only is he the performer on the field with an incredible track record, but you've got a lot of teams that have a chance to win, and those teams are interested in Justin for what he brings to the clubhouse, you know, that kind of stabilizing force and really setting the right tone and the right example for younger players. So he's got a number of teams that are interested. We're gonna take our time, play it out and make sure we make the best decision we can. And you can count on having a chance to win being probably the top priority for Justin as always.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're going to be representing Justin beyond his playing career because so many people around the Dodgers saw a managerial future. Do you foresee that as well? I mean, do you see this partnership with Justin and you representing him going into that area of baseball where he's a manager one day?
Speaker 10: Man, I'm always going to be a part of this Justin Turner foundation, you know, this Justin Turner career and professional life and friendship. You know, I'm really fortunate to have gotten on this journey with him right out of cal State Fullerton, and it's been a long journey so far, and I think it's gonna be a lot longer. And you know, whether it's a business you know, interests that we align in and continue to work together on a career post playing and managing. I'm sure all of those are going to be options available to him, broadcasting, et cetera. And it's going to be, you know, really fun to continue working with him and going through these different opportunities and you know, really enjoying this journey with him.
Speaker 1: So, Vyner Sports known for baseball, but you're expanding the portfolio. You just signed your first NBA player.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we did. We were fortunately we signed Brandon Miller the Charlotte Hornets. Really happy and excited to be an NBA.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: We also represent about fifty NFL players, wow, and about forty UFC fighters. In fact, I was just at the fights of Madison Square Guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately my guys Stipe did not prevail. But yeah, it's a lot of fun at Vander Sports. Were involved in a lot of different sports, a lot of different endeavors and just really enjoying it.
Speaker 1: When you look at the landscape of Major League Baseball, Greg, you're on the agent side, you're for the players. Obviously, there's been so much talk the last couple of years about players health, pitchers health, specifically as far as Tommy Johns and the growing number of Tommy John's happening in Major League Baseball, have you and your team had a chance to digest it, and what's the balance between for a player, team versus my health.
Speaker 10: Well, we need changes, right, I'm not alone in saying this and coming out very publicly to say that we need changes. Right. The continued emphasis on the radar gun and on spin rates and just you know, has players looking to light up machines all the time rather than focusing on longevity and performance necessarily in the game. And so I think changes need to be made. And I think that there's a lot of influential people around the game that are making this argument in a very compelling fashion. I know that my good friend Keith Meister, yeah, the doctor from TMI out of Dallas, is really making the case with empirical evidence, trying to convince teams that for the long term health of the game, we need to focus on the long term health of the pitchers. And so I think these changes are going to be made, and I'm really looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: You know, Jim Palmer told me his idea would be get rid of the track man machines, the first two or three weeks of spring training where guys aren't trying to impress on the radar gun, they're just easing into throwing.
Speaker 10: I think that's an excellent idea, and I would also encourage guys in their off season training to give it a break too, because now you have a lot of these high end facilities that have the machines plugged in. It's the off season. Yeah, you got pictures incredibly focused on it, and look they're looking at it. The pictures are looking at it. Is this is how I'm gonna get paid down the line, right, It's not going to be just about how I perform on the field and getting guys out, but it's going to be how do I do it right? What kind of numbers do I have while I'm doing it?
Speaker 1: And if teams would pay for going deeper into games, pictures would train that way.
Speaker 10: One hundred percent. That's exactly right. And then you wonder, too, is like, at this time right now in our MLB salary arbitrations, you're not seeing the introduction of that sort of evidence. But you wonder if that starts to enter in down the road, that could have even a more detrimental effect of pictures.
Speaker 1: All right, Greg, great to see you.
Speaker 10: It's great to see you as always. And you know, I'm not gonna lie a little disappointed that Matt Money wasn't he You said that already, Greg, did I mention that? I mean, come on, Greg, tris, gees petros, A little bit goes along. Oh man, I'm glad he's not here.
Speaker 1: Geez, just springing Justin Turner home and you know, we'll we'll talk about some of your other clients too. Maybe I could woo them over to LA.
Speaker 10: That sounds great. Thanks for having me see.
Speaker 1: Great to see you too. You're one of the good guys in the business and always enjoy talking baseball with you. Thanks a lot, Greg, appreciate it. Maybe you'll take me out for a surf lesson anytime you want to go. Let me know I love it. Greg Gensky, one of the best out there. We are wrapping things up here from Justin Turner's eighth annual golf tournament, the Justin Turner Foundation doing great things for the city. Justin and his wife, Courtney were getting ready for the reception here. I hope I don't train wreck the dinner. I hope I'm able to deliver in that live auction. You gotta believe and I believe. I want to say thank you to our iHeartRadio crew here, our great crew that came out to support us, to even the Big Boss Dave. We showed up to support us in his iHeartRadio jacket that must have got lost in the mail or we'll see what happens, but anyway, appreciate him coming out, and appreciate everybody that came on the show, from Corey Seeger to the host, Justin Turner, to Pete Crow Armstrong and Justin Turner's agent Greg Gensky. Appreciate all of them coming out. Our guys social media, Matt Demichy, thank you for everything. You could see all of this on our social media page. AM five seventy LA Sports. When will the next Dodger Talk be? Great question. We will be live from the Winter Meetings beginning December seventh from Dallas, Texas. That'll be our next Dodger Talk. But throughout the days on AM five seventy LA Sports, we'll give you all the latest hot stove news. The Dodgers are working to continue to build what many believe is the beginning of a dynasty. They have two championships already in this decade looking for more. So it's an off season of celebration, but obviously the Dodgers want more and we all know you do as well. Thanks for listening. We'll be back with you in December. Until then, be safe and happy Thanksgiving. See ya from Justin Turner's golf tournament