Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to That's Not Metal. We are your weekly rock and heavy music podcast, and this here on this Friday is an edition of Hyperblasts, our shorter form news and release round up show where we let you know everything that's been going down in the last week. We let you know the beefs which I guess there are some of some of interest this week, and we just give you an insight I supposing to what is going on in the world right now. Particularly relevant this week is big live shows once again as another summer of we were saying this, you know last year before that particularly, I guess here in the UK summer shows seem to be really racking up with like massive events, not just festivals, but then bands doing their own you know, big events and you know one off shows and stuff like that. And we are very much in the midst of We're gonna have another one next week, right, We're in the midst of all of that kind of stuff rolling on, So we've got some of that to talk about. My name is parent Haish and with me mainly reporting on that front this time is Sam Dignon.
Speaker 2: Hello, Yes, yeah, unexpectedly busy event for weekly and I was kind of just be like, oh, I was just watching hell Fest clips online. That was kind of like what my week was gonna be. And then all the big stuff's happening this coming weekend. And then on Sunday again message do I want a Metallica ticket? I was like sure, why not? And then on Monday where I was like do you want to free b fremcr?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just out of nowhere, I just wind up like because I'm seeing I was planned to see my Chemical Romance this Saturday. I was going I had a ticket for that show, and they're doing, you know, like three nights at Wembley Stadium, and evidently the Wednesday night, being a Wednesday night, hadn't sold as well as the other two. So my brother, through his work, was like, I've got three tickets. I don't want to go see Mechanical Romance.
Speaker 3: Do you want him?
Speaker 1: Sam?
Speaker 2: I'm like, yes, yes, yes, I would like to see michaelmic Romance are free. Considering I paid one hundred odd quid for the one charm now like this is now like this is two Michamic Romance shows seventy pounds each. The math checks out, like good, this is good use of my money.
Speaker 1: This is a very jammy week for you because I just have to sit here and basically be jealous of everything that you are discussing. Because Michemical Romance they did play in Liverpool, but it ended up being you know, quite expensive, and I went to see Sun the same night that they played Metallica doing the you know two you know, no repeats weekend thing in the UK that's only happening in London. They have done one off, you know, individual shows other places in the UK, but they didn't play in like the Northwest where I am. It was you up in Glasgow or going over to you know, Ireland or whatever if I wanted to go that and I am very genuinely gutted to be missing out on that one, and then you turn up.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, I didn't even plan. To me, I would say, don't be too jealous because you did get spared watching Avatar. That's true.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Me and you, I think possibly had the most polar opposite gig weeks it's possible to have. Because my one thing I did is I went to go see a tiny raw black metal band called Natalitch who had come over from Canada playing in you know dingy Grutthole Venues, and they had like a bill of support bands going out with them, one of whom was Final Dose, who we spoke about. So you know, Sam's just throwing the horn to me there while taking a drink. Very much true. Fanal Doos spoke about a lot last year they rip, so I went to get to see them, along with this really fucking cool, nasty like candelarbras and keyboards, you know, raw scummy black metal band Natalich, which was all very good. But then there you are again on the opposite end of the spectrum with stadium spectacle after stadium spectacles. So we are going to talk about the little bit of news we have and the releases at the end, but I imagine many people out there either went to these shows and want to relive them or are just curious about both the you know, Metallica being no repeats type stadium show's been going through the UK and my Chemical Romance stadium show doing twenty years of the Black Parade. So I guess the first thirty forty minutes whatever that being of this show is going to be talking all about those Metallica happened first. So let's get into that one. Let me just clarify, you went to the obviously, as I'm saying, there no repeats, weken two shows. You went to the second night.
Speaker 3: Second of the nights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had a friend who had the ticket, had the two tickets and the repeats, because again I couldn't afford to drop two hundred odd quid on like two Metallic shows. As like, I think, like, given two shows, the bill they were bringing along with them, I think that is you know, fair money for Metallicy to be charging for these shows. But I just couldn't at the time, given the amount of other stuff I'd got going on this summer, I was like, I can't afford it. And then when on the day my friend who'd been to the first show with Kajia and.
Speaker 3: Not Loose, was like, I can't make it to the one stage.
Speaker 2: You want me to just give my ticket mask Log and you can just take my ticket and I'll do you like a matriate for it. I was like, sound, yeah, I'll take that, because I've i haven't seen Metallic rin over a decade. And there was you know the other thing of the support bands for this one. I mean I've mentioned Avatar who might just be the worst band I've seen this year, just woeful, abysmal.
Speaker 1: They get really shown up by every other band on the poster right when you put the two.
Speaker 2: Genuinely that they have like how they've wound up on this I don't like. I didn't even know that they were like that much for a draw like crazy, but not for me and not for anyone if anyone has taste really quite poor.
Speaker 3: I left.
Speaker 2: I left halfway through the set to just go and mosey about the concourse, and I was like, this is better than watching Avatar the other sport who I I are a talking point on this one.
Speaker 3: Pantera M so Panter.
Speaker 2: I have long had conflicting feelings on this Pantera union, like no denying it. Pantera are one of my favorite metal bands ever. Those albums, those nineties Pantera albums, the classics were so important in my music taste and getting me into metal. I think they are some of the greatest metal songs you're ever gonna hear, like just unbelievable, and then like so seeing those songs live on papers to me is like overlos that's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: Obviously is well documented. We have discussed it. Many times on this podcast.
Speaker 2: There is a whole lot of baggage that comes with Pantera, phil Aancelmo being the sort of the primary cause of it. For me, I wouldn't buy a ticket to a Pantera show.
Speaker 3: That's kind of why I think I would draw the line.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would buy the tickets to see this Pantera lineup. Again, you can discuss how Pantera is as like that.
Speaker 3: That's sort of a whole discussion.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't feel necessarily right buying tickets Panthera show. But if I'm going to see Metallica and Panterra put in front of me, of course.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna gonna watch it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna see what, like, what it's like seeing this Pantera lineup per forming these songs. And here's the thing, Like it was fucking brilliant. I I genuinely like, I was, like I had to, I was. I'm shaking my head disapproving me the entire time, so everyone knows I don't like, I don't agree with this, but they were fucking unbelieva. I'm gonna bring up the set list now quickly because they had an hour and outside of not playing anything off of greats of Trendkill, which is their best album, Like it was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's one of those things where with with you know, supporting Metallica in a stadium. Obviously Pantera themselves aren't a stadium level band, but to us, to metal fans, right, this is almost like it's a generational like, you know, one of the all time greats right there with a set one of the few bands who have a set list that if you gave them an hour you could feasibly you know, level.
Speaker 2: Absolutely this is like metallically, No metallic will kind of like doing like this is you know the eighties metal kind of like and pandera like yeah, and this is that for the Natties, And they were like honestly, like I know, I know some people seem to sort of have some gripes about the sound and Panterra, where I was no no.
Speaker 3: Sound issues whatsoever for me.
Speaker 2: But when they are coming out and they go straight into a new level, I'm just like that fucking riff is the hardest shit ever. And they finish new level and they go mouthful war strength beyond strength, becoming I'm broken, as like the first half of the set like tom on if you like metal, those songs are unbelievable and they sounded tight. Then you get like a Cemetery Gates kind of interlude with the Abbott brothers on like on the video screens, kind of like doing another tribute to them, and then the back end of the set list right five minutes alone, this love fucking hostile walk with them their kind of a bit of their Fairies where Boots cover tapped onto the end of it because it's one year on from back to the beginning. And then they don't play Domination, but they just play the breakdown from Domination because yes, more bands, if you have a riff that is that money, just play the money riff and then go straight to hollow as like a mash up. Fucking unreal because that beat that that Domination breakdown is everything I love about hardcore in that in that one breakdown it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: And then wrapping up with Cowboys from Hell as an hour. If you remove all the baggage, you cannot that there's feasibly very little that if you like metal, can be better than that. It's so good.
Speaker 2: I was my whole time I heard I was like you gotta, you know, keep clarifying Filancelmo not a good person. All that, Yes that I'm going to get more into the grapes of the stage show. There was some panstration that during Pantera where again during some because the mediator is the big circle they've got at the moment, and I was in standing and there was moments in the Pantre Sai where they were like right near me. I wasn't even that near the front of the thing, but because the way the stage is up, you even with a bit of a back during some point.
Speaker 3: That you would have the most insane.
Speaker 2: View of of a like Philancelmo or Zach Wild just ripping out these these riffs and solos and like I mansed to get them doing some more favorite songs.
Speaker 3: It was fucking great.
Speaker 2: And there are other moments of the set where you kind of were just left watching the drama because the rest of the band are over on the other side of the stadium, and that that becomes more of an issue during Metallica, for like an hour of Pantea where they're constantly having to kind of like rotate to keep the crowd engaged. It worked really well, but yeah, it just was like such a reminder of how good Pantera at their best these songs I don't neber go to anyone who was turning their nosebent and sort of not want to go of it because of as I said, the baggage I mened several times, but for me, just as a howl on warm up from Metallica, it's one of the best port slots I've seen it, fucking it at the end, like when they were doing again the sort of extended sort of break down the outros. You know, Mark came on last year and was singing the praise of five Finger Death Punch supporting Metallica. I'm allowed to have this with with Pantera, who I am a better band than five Finger Death Punch.
Speaker 3: Let me have this o oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the Pantera are in many ways the kind of the you know, the forefather of the real one, compared to the likes of fire Thinger Death punche Whether this particular Panterra, you know, this incindation is the real one. It's obviously another thing I'm similar to you in that I like, you know, when Pantera they didn't play again in the Northwest where I am, so I didn't have that much to kind of you know, ethically think about. But when they've come through and done a headline thing, I didn't really entertain going. I don't know if I would buy just a ticket to see Pantera right now. But and we discussed that it doesn't really you know, it's not quite the Pantera that we all know, and the logistics and the ethics behind whether it you know, even as feels like or it is kind of condoned to be so to speak, you know that that Pantera is a different thing. But if I was, you know, again at a festival or in a support slots of one ers where it is in front of me, I I've only heard where the show itself is really strong and great, and maybe that's a karaoke thing to some degree, but I've only heard that it's great Metallica, seeing as this is the whole appeal of a particular Ttalica show unless you are just doing one day, which you know, a Metallica shows Metallica show in it. But the whole no repeat thing was the idea of them coming through. Yeah, and basically you know, they take a you know, was it like sixteen songs they're doing sixteen.
Speaker 2: Sixteen each night Yeah, Yeah, thirty two Metallica songs you're getting across the two nights, is that's a sweet deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Metallica obviously a band where we've all got fucking at least sixty songs that we want to see them doing. And I've you know, I felt this from when I've seen Metallica being like that was fantastic. God, I wish that you'd played for four more hours to see all of those other classics that we've all grown up, you know, listening to, And that was part of why I really wanted to see this particular, you know, hot whole thing. Even between these two settlers I'm looking at, they don't even cover all of those again songs And what you'd imagine for any of the band in these sistence would be like staple every night songs don't even make it onto this, you know, thirty thirty two. I'm gonna read out the set list from the first night just so people know. These are the songs that they had already covered by the time that they got to you, Creeping Death, Harvester of Sorrow, Holier than Thou of Wolf, and mann Luxe Turner. If Darkness had a son, Fader, Black cyanide oryan nothing else matters, sad but true, hard Wired, Fuel, Seek and Destroy, Master of Puppets. So the show that you saw, every one of those songs that I just read was like already deemed done, you know what I mean, they could afford to leave those out.
Speaker 3: I didn't get a single Marster Puppets song.
Speaker 1: That's wild. I thought they would break those.
Speaker 3: Out of lists.
Speaker 2: But the first that was very much the Master of Puppets night, and then my night was black Album, Ride the Lightning and Justice for All kind of getting more of the sort of I guess the shine, But yeah, I didn't get a single Master Puppets song. That to me, it's like even some of THEFF they didn't play, like no Battery, that wasn't on there at all. Yeah, Dan, And that's of course two nights I didn't play battery Battery, Like this is what this Metallica, this is and and it is just the nature of Metallica, like having that many ten out of ten songs, like you know what you're gonna do aside from cutting Kirk and Rob fucking about.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I've just realized we said the sixteen songs thirty two songs. That's not really true because one of those is the Doodle. So thirty songs again.
Speaker 3: Which I mean, okay, only thirty Metallica songs? How dare they be?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So of the of the fifteen that you saw, I can see right here how this went. And it opens up with Whiplash, which is a hell of a way to go. So how how was the Metallica experiencing at least one half of the note repeats weekend.
Speaker 2: Opening with Whiplash, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Ride the Lightning.
Speaker 3: I'm just like old school baby.
Speaker 2: Three in the in the bit of stating where I stood so for this opening run where again Right the Lightning is my favorite Metallica album. Getting for Whom the Bell Toll was on the title track right when they're right in front of me fucking eight, I was that was great, and like Whiplash, was a really fun opener. There's something about Metallica opening with a kill them All song that kind of just makes me happy. The first one I saw them, they opened to hit the Lights and it's just such a it's such a feel good way to start metallic sex.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Kill them All kind of rocks and rolics.
Speaker 2: In a way that other Metallica albums don't always it's a it's just always got that slightly more kind of rock and roll kind of thing.
Speaker 1: It's new way for British having met all played by youthful maniacs playing it faster and harder than anyone before them. It's just it's the most full of spark and you know, fucking useful.
Speaker 2: It crackles in a way that again they get him Attacker doesn't. So when you're open with Whiplash and you're getting there and again like Metallica, aren't you know, stringis and more, but they still come out and attack Whiplash as an opener, which figure I have to say, Like I've heard he had mixed things about James as a vocalist in recent times, he was on really good form. I don't know if it's just been on this tour, if he's just kind of like found his voice a bit more again.
Speaker 3: But like it's not obviously I'm not pulling the whole He's never sound a better thing.
Speaker 2: But from what you're going to hear about, like oh, Hetfield canna be a bit ropy these days, I think he was on really good form of for the rest of the band, like Lars was mostly in time, like I would say, like Lars was pretty solid, and Metallica the one thing I will say is that always the loudest band you're ever gonna see live. I don't know what it is, but when Metallica come out, everything is just cranked up to the max, but it's all crystal clear, like when I see some bands and everything's like like turned uptid as it can and it is just some kind of like overwhelming mess of sound and you know, pip things out. Metallica makes to sound louder than everyone else, but also sound clear and like you know what you're listening to. And I mean that is one of the real sweet things about the Metallica's live show. Obviously, the actual live show pretty bare bones, and this one I'm gonna get onto my one big.
Speaker 3: Criticism of the night, which is the staging.
Speaker 2: Like I think this Metallic stage show, if you're in the snake pit, it must be amazing. If you're stood in the middle of this big circle and Metallica are playing all around you and you can kind of turn around and just sort of follow Metallica around, that's really cool. I think if you were seated the stage again probably was less of an issue because you've got a white sort of a further back view you can kind of see everything for standing, as I said, there will be some bits where like because also I don't know if this was something need this night or the other night where it actually felt like for a lot of shit, the band were quite kind of playing close together rather than kind of taking a like quadrant of the stage each so there was no more of them kind of playing in blocks, and it was just kind of weird. Then because of this opening thing, they moved round to the next part of the circle and I was kind of having to like squint to see that the head of like James just popping up over like I could see when they finished, there was a big onesie that would g and walk around the stadium with them, and I'm like, you shouldn't have to, you know, walk around the stadium to follow the live show as it's going on.
Speaker 3: It's my one gripe.
Speaker 2: And again I get it because it is like it's for the lucky few who are in that snakepit that they are clearly building, and those people have probably paid. However, much like to get those tickets, and fine, they if they pay that much to get the best view. But it was just a minor frustration where there were some parts of set where I could hear Metallica, but the only way I could see Metallica was by looking up at the big screens on the towers around like the stage, and that to me was just a little bit frustrating. It's my one My one critiz is about this whole set is just the staging where I was in the general in the sort of the general access standing, not the greatest.
Speaker 1: I've never actually thought it looks cool, is the thing, because I agree that you know, I I've seen Metallica in this kind of in the round setup, but from the seats where I could look down and look at you know, I could see all of them mentality, But I've never thought if you see photos or videos and everything, I don't think it actually Again, you are right in terms of if you're in the snake pit, then that's the primo experience. I think there is a degree of you know, obviously, when they it's they're one thing to get considering they are, you know, the biggest metal band ever stadium band wherever, they go. It does allow them to get kind of up to every seat like that. That's one cynical way, But I was going to say it allows them to get up close and personal with the fans in a way that the ninety nin percent stadium fans weren't because even you know, yeah, there are bits where they wander away, but those bits where James Hetfield or you know, Kirk or whoever is right in front of you, that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you really cool, really cool.
Speaker 1: Unbelievably close to you know, a fucking larger than life icon compared to again any number of stadium shows out there. So and from a musician's point of view, you know, being able to play these shows where you can still get up right in the faces of the fans, I can understand the appeal there. But because it spreads them out when you see photos and stuff or even just you know, watching watching them right there, there's a certain level of like each individual musician when they spread out, looks so like isolated, like and like on their own, Like Lars is just a drum kit sort of in a middle of an empty space, rob Will where you kind of you are wandering around somewhere, and even though they are obviously they're playing together. There's something about the the togetherness and like the physical you know, sense of like what watching a band really crunching together and play when they are standing fucking thirty meters apart from one another and each individual one is just like in their own pocket. And because again there's not like a huge stage show behind them or something, because they are right right in the middle. I think it does subtract from just like the visual you know, the show and the spectacle and the wow factor, cool fucking image factor. I think again, the trade off is getting some parts of the show where James Depfield is right fucking up in your grill right, which you don't get at most stadium shows. So I can understand that they're thinking. But from a visual spectacle, I've never thought you never see a Metallica stage and go wow, that looks fucking amazing in the way that you do quite a number of other big metal bands or if.
Speaker 3: We're about to get onto after sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but even when you think about bands who are playing smaller venues like bands of like Iron Maiden or whatever, they can put on big like you just look at the stage and go that's a fucking amazing image.
Speaker 3: Well did you see I mean last year was it the west Ham? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did see them at the London Stadium. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so you've seen them kind of put on their Iron Maiden spectacle in.
Speaker 1: That it's just not as cool watching fucking Kirk Hammett wander around on his own thirty meters away from every other member of the band is just what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So this is what I was saying, like, because I actually felt like they did play more together on this night. They were and of wandering a part which went in a way it was like, cool, they're actually kind of like jamming as a band and kind of playing off each other. But also just meant that because they were doing that, there were longer porters. Well I didn't even get you know, Kirk or Rob wander over to where I was. And I agree, like the bit you get amazing moments in there, but it does just kind of as a whole experience to tract. As for the rest of said you know, seventy two Seasons and Screaming Suicide. I'll take those two off that album. You know, Luck of Tournament is kind of like the one you want, but those are two of like the decent tracks off of like the latest album, the Kirk and Rob Doodle. As I've mentioned, binning off Like, like I've always said, in long sets, I appreciate a bit of pissing about, But I don't even Metallica actually play for long enough to justify the pissing about. Maybe it's just like that James and Last need that needed a break, They need to sort of take a moment, and Kirk and Rob covering Sabbath and the Sex Pistols badly is just a chance for them to sort of like reset.
Speaker 3: Maybe, but that was.
Speaker 2: You know, a bit of a momentum killer. But then you know, the Day that Never Comes. Like I'm not a big Death Magnetic fan, I think that song's cool. It was really cool to hear that lie.
Speaker 1: That's one of the I do have a big soft spot for Death Magnetic production. Aside, Yeah, they Know It Comes, I think.
Speaker 2: Is three songs off that album that you'd say are like legit.
Speaker 1: I would go to say at least half of that record is brilliant, but I would certainly say that The Day Never Comes is in. It's been proven by time, right, the fact they're still here it's in the when you think about the twenty first century songs and the Moth into Flames and stuff that are like the genuine classics Day never Comes, I think undeniably one of those.
Speaker 2: It's with something like Cyanide off that album, where like there are just a couple of tracks off that on that that do earn their place and like and in a stadium it sounded huge because it is kind of a real kind of like sweeping, stirring like track that builds cool.
Speaker 3: Of Ctulhu as instrumental, that was.
Speaker 2: That was cool again, Like I like right the way that that was coo instrumental. Unforgiven Whiskey in the Jar cover, which I've never been like the biggest fan of that cover, but you know, that was a really fun sick It's a really fun sing along. It's it's not my favorite Metallica cover as all like, but as a sort of a fun sing along towards the end of the set, right Blackened, which to me, that should be like a song that Metallica never ever don't play like surely black and should be infestimating.
Speaker 1: You just said that they across the two unites, they didn't play Battery right and they and they've not got fight fire with fire in here either, so that like you know, track one Metallica, crazy ripper. They just have such a number of them to choose from them, so many, they have so many, Yeah, cycle and that was but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Blackhoo looks fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: Mof into Flame, which again like that is obviously that's the one off of hard Whire that has long kind of like cemented itself as the real big one. And that was where they actually towards the end of the set cranked up the stage show because off in the Flame fire like they had a load of fire shooing out of stage.
Speaker 3: That was cool.
Speaker 2: One again more fire kind of explosions all that, like it's one. It's like the best thing ever. I did admittedly cut out when Salmon started.
Speaker 3: I was like I love Metallica and then like they got the big balls out and that was fun.
Speaker 2: But I was like, I want to beat the crowd and get on the train home because I've suffered getting away from football games at that stadium many a time. I was I was like I'm getting out ahead of the crowd. I'm like Metallica even great, and Salmon obviously like you know, one of the biggest tunes ever. I don't need to see this, so I did make a hasty retreat, but it was as a kind of like someone who hasn't say it again, has seen Metallic for a decade. Quibbles with the stage aside, really cool set list again, like playing or Ride the Lightning, which well for me big fan of like the title track. When that billy kicked in third, I was like, let's fucking go. They did sound like as good as I think Metallic at this stage in their career possibly could sound doodle. Aside, they seem to be enjoying during this sort of like stage where they're playing again like these songs, these two nights like getting to sort of really kind of explore their catalog, and it was just you know, the Metallica show, they're gonna come into it, and like, yeah, I don't think you're ever going to really get a bad Metallica show because it's just look at the set list they're gonna play, look at those songs. But this was a nice kind of like unexpected treat And I think if you've got you know, if you went to both nights, you probably were just like absolutely giddy. With the amount of Metallica good shit you got across those two nights.
Speaker 3: It was a real cool, real cool show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm really disappointed that, you know, through not going to download a couple of years ago as well, and then just them not deciding to play in you know, the cities in my vicinity, that I didn't manage to get to see any of this, because it's been fucking ages since I've see Batallica as well, and I've wanted to, you know again, come and be part of this party for a while. You do wonder seeing as as we said, you know, we've they've already done download here doing this particular type you know, two nights setup. They've taken this no repeats weekend like all around the world at this stage. I can't imagine there are too many territories left that they haven't done. They've come back to the UK and done it. It's been like at least sort of you know, three ish years, right that they've been doing this two yeah, yeah, So you wonder how long this will be going on and once that does, you know, come to a close, what wolstly will be the next thing in store for them Atallica. But I guess we might not have to wait incredibly long fingers crossed to see what that might end up being. But that wasn't the end of the big extravaganzas for you, because, as as said, My Chemical Romance, twenty years of the Black Parade tour they've been doing. My couple Romans have come around quite a few times. Again, I've still not seen them, you know, since they've been coming back and everything, but they've done a few different sort of types of tour. But this one seems to be if when they first came back and I know they played that Milton Keen show and all that, that was just like look mcra back right and almost I know that he would change outfits for occasionally on the show, but like almost like weirdly casual looking Michael kroumant at times. This twenty years celebration of their most like Pompus theatrical album, this seems to be like the genuine, what the fuck actual like piece of theater Michemical Romance show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the thing is, when Michael Romance came back, this was like the last thing I wanted them to do. I didn't want Michael Rommins to squeeze back into the Black Parade jackets and like pedal nostalgia. To me, initially my hopes of kind of like Michael Romins as a credit force. After Foundations of the K was amazing and those Milky shows were great, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, this is you know, we're probably a Micham CRMs back then.
Speaker 2: We've had fuck all since then, so I've kind of just accepted maybe Michael mcrummins are just kind of like a legacy act now fine, like it fine, but so.
Speaker 3: Here's thing like they're doing.
Speaker 2: You know this, this this long lived the Black Parade tour has been going like fruit's gone for all for America.
Speaker 3: It's been going on for about two years now.
Speaker 2: That like and and when it kind of came up that they'd come up with an entirely new conceptual narrative for The Black Parade, which was already a concept album and they have completely reworked the narrative and come up with something totally new for I was like, Okay, maybe this isn't just getting back on getting the jacket back on and selling nostalgia. To me, I was really intrigued at that, which is why when it got announced going to you.
Speaker 3: I was like, I want to be at these shows. I want to.
Speaker 2: See what this new, reimagined welcome, this renew reimagined Black Parade actually is. And it turns out everything that me getting into Michael Grummit when I was like sixteen seventeen years old as a fearter kid who was also into metal and punk and email and all that sort of thing. This is everying I had envisioned that I'd ever wanted a live show to be, which is an eighty minute, full on eighty minute theatrical musical theater slash live rock gig hybrid, like say, taking a fifty two minute album and turning into a narrative, kind of driven, like eighty minute performance piece. So good and and like I'll obviously go into it. I will say Skunkin' and Sy supporting was very cool to actually finally see Skunking Antsy. They're one of those bands that was kind of respected more than been the biggest fan of, but they're like they were like an interesting call that that's a that's a nice support thing to try to bring out clearly kind of bring up bands that they just like and want to, you know, play shows of it. And I thought like they were very good, very sot of energy, can kind of actually engage with the fans and trying to and get the Michael Grummins fans on their side for the performance. I thought it was a nice kind of warm up for the gig, but the Michael gromance for itself. So there is so much to this. So their stage is up, but before they even come on stage, there are like messages appearing like that are kind of like you know, propaganda kind of message peering up the The whole thing is themed on this fictional like nation called Drug which is basically Nazi Germany mixed with Soviet Russia kind of like aesthetically just all of that, Like the font is very Soviet Russia. It's all very brutalist, and it's kind of like architecture. You're getting these fake news reports popping up on the screens, fake commercials for you know, cruel is it like this this miserable, horrid dystopian dictatorship. But everything's great, actually thumbs up, everyone is having a great time.
Speaker 3: No one here is miserable at all. We're doing great.
Speaker 2: And that's the kind of like set up where you getting there and then before they even come on stage.
Speaker 3: You're then getting like a military drum procession coming on.
Speaker 2: You're getting these characters appearing who are all in like military uniform that aren't the black trade one, but they are like part of this whole drug thing. And then you know, you get all rise for the drug national anthem and it's a so fictionational mentham and then outcomes the General himself, who is this dictator character like essentially Trump meets Putin, kind of like fixedized version of that. It's not subtle, not subtle in the slightest. They are painting with the kind of like very obvious. This is taking shots at Putin and Trump, and you can also almost read into a kind of like shot at their own kind of like feverishly coltish fan based times. That's one sort of thing I saw people discussing is like this whole kind of like cult like dedication to a like leading figure. Is is it all that? But it is very much a political statement of like these culture personalities leading us to their to our doom kind of thing. That's the kind of broad setup. So they've introduced the General and then the band actually come out and they are essentially the propaganda machine for drag the Black Parade are you know, the the Rah Rah troops. They will sing about how great drug is. They will motivate everyone. They will deliver the message of the General, setting the scene and then boom Dead kicks in and Michael Grummance sounds fucking awesome, like and you are interesting in the Black Parade Live between sort of songs, you're getting Joe kind of introducing the General and saying like we're doing this for the good of drug and all of this sort of stuff. You meet like the Secretary, the sort of chief of propaganda. These characters come on and like in between songs, you kind of get moments were like kind of like quite broad pantomime where the acting is very big. They're not talking, but you know, it's all very much conveyed through their gestures and the props they're holding up and all that sort of stuff. And you get through, you know, the opening run of the album, which is like the end, this is how I just appear. The Sharpest Lives is kind of just like the band playing it doesn't go bigg inter narrative, and then it's when you get to Welcome to the Black Parade, where obviously this is you know, the anthem for like an entire generation of like teenagers growing up in the two thousands, and it's repurposed as the anthem to rally about this nation that is like so good and nothing is wrong and the kind of like fun jabs at propaganda and all of that, and there's like, we're singing this for the Black parades who've come before us.
Speaker 3: You know, we're the fifty sixth like unit of.
Speaker 2: The Black Parade or something like that is what Gerard's saying. And it is like and it's so kind of like broaden that, but like that song is still spine tingling. You hear that first piano note and it just what it does to a crowd is insane, Like you said that note and gone. And then when Black Parade finishes, this is where the narrative sort of starts starts to really kick into overdrive because they do this thing where like Gerard is at saying, oh, the General wishes you partake in democracy, or like wills you to partake in democracy. So when you enter the stadium, you're handed a card which has a year or nay sign on it, and they're basically like like essentially for some frivolous reason, these men paraded to the front of the stage are on trial to be executed, and we want you to vote do we execute them or do we spare them?
Speaker 3: And it's it's a sham vote essentially, but.
Speaker 2: Like you're you know, the audience say, whatever happens, the audience is going to hold up the one that gets them executed. So then you get these like cardboard kind of soldier things rise about the ground, they'll fire, Pyro goes off and like the bodies drop and it's like, this is democracy.
Speaker 3: These men deserve to die.
Speaker 2: This was all for the good of drag And it's like it's so playful and kind of like the stabs it's making, but it is it's so clear Gerard's brain is like he's dreamt this up for so long and he's now just getting into sort of parade around the stage and do this sort of narrative. You then get to you know, but time you get to Mamma, the narratives women an underground bunker and there's like nuclear war and then on the sort of the breakdown bit of Mumma where it all goes off, the stage erupts into flames, the nukes are fired, that drag, the bombs are going off. You get a guy running around the stage on fire, like in the full on like flame stunt kind of suit running around the stage waving his arms around on that breakdown, and I was kind.
Speaker 3: Of like, this is again, just so.
Speaker 2: The spectacle is such a step up from what I've seen in a good while. And the narrative where Jarge starts to get disenfranchised with his position as the propaganagy. He takes a dag and is like, maybe I should be the one to put a stop to this. Then the next song you get drug firing their nuclear missiles. You see on the screen all the bot nukes going off, and it's teenagers. Is all propaganda videos playing everywhere, And by the time you get to you know, famous last Words at the end of the record, the entire stage is on fire. There is a countdown basically going and it is counting down into basically the end of Dragon. It's kind of like the band trying to defiantly will you on with famous last Words and like Eving's on fire. The nation is under attack, but we can keep going, we can keep doing this, And then by the end when you get to the reprise of the end, like I mean famous last words Ramstein levels of pyro, like they did the thing where you have like the sort of sound towels and they've got the fire shooting back and forth between them, the fire going off and them, the fire on the top of the stage, the entire front of the stage on fire props and stuff on the side that have now been lit up, so the fire is are encroaching around the band, like do you like real kind of like apocalyptic imagery to nail this kind of like nation that is on fire. And then by the end of it, when they are reprising the end, after everything is burnt out and driving is a husk, Gerard is stabbed, the rest of the band are like put black hoods over their heads and bragged away, and one of the other characters who is now just as a clown, has like a suicide bomb best and blows himself up to try and just like gender and even at the end of it, the general were still just left standing there after all, like the nations burned to a Chris. This this maniac cult leader figure has sort of driven led everyone to their doom and left the world at burnt husk in his way and he's still standing. Again not very subtle in this sort of narrative, but as someone who loves loves theater and has always kind of loved the idea of bands doing it, but I think band there's not enough bands with the actual mad spark and genuine love for theater and whimsy to pull this thing off.
Speaker 3: Michael Rowance pulled off of Flying Colors.
Speaker 2: For me, it's one of my favorite stage shows I've ever seen, just as a like a great bit of spectacle, and it's the right music, it's the right band. And I'm not saying every man should.
Speaker 3: Try something like this, because I think again most of them would fuck it up.
Speaker 2: I think Ghosts could potentially do it Cohed give Give Cloudy a spaceship like But it was as a great be spectacle, which is one of the most hugely entertaining live shows I've ever seen. And that was still only half the show because after that, after about a ten minute interval where they've had you know, oh, they also had you know, string quartets and other instruments going on as well to kind of like bulk out the songs, They've added like extended bridges to songs where there's new lyrics and all that going on. So they really reworked the Black Parade. This is not just coming out and again just doing the album to remind everyone it was. It wasn't like the sound we did twenty years ago. Great it howmuted twenty years ago what was fucking amazing. But it was just such a great kind of way to reclaim and kind of like reimagine it in a way that that feels exciting. So that finishes, they have an into where they have like a lady playing like a on the cello to sort of just fill the.
Speaker 3: Time, and then they have the B stage in the middle of the standing.
Speaker 2: The band re emerged there and they rip into Honey This mirrors and big enough for the two of us, and I was like, you fucking what just coming up with that stabbing riff?
Speaker 3: Straight away?
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, okay, this is I'm glad I've come tonight because they did that straight to thank you for the Venom, And I was like, Michael mc romance, are you just did you know I'm here? And are you theming this second half of the set where you're just doing stuff on the albums for me?
Speaker 3: Because this is so sick.
Speaker 2: You know, two of your hardest songs back to back to kickstart this part of the set. And at this point you know they are in their normal clothes. They are normal Michael mac Romance this way, jo still Joan, still frantic, wavy, and he has his little electronic box. It still just plays about with him between songs Cemetery Drive, fucking Sick, Planetary Go, which is one of my favorite songs off of Danger Days. That was such a bop. That was a great one live give Them Hell Kid, No No that base. I was like, if I was down in the standing right now, I'd be kicking people. But again, I was just getting so many like songs that were like my choice, and then out of nowhere they fucking pull out and I didn't. Actually, I like, maybe this is my casual sort Micha Romans thing that they had this cover on one of their early demos or early EPs, but covered Morrissey's Jack the Rip. I was like, that is such a point of Joe did say, like, we haven't played this song since our very early days because we only used to play because we didn't have many songs of our own notes.
Speaker 3: We needed a cover and I was like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Early Michael Macgrumm's covering Morrissey does make sense, and it would make sense they would go for a deeper Morrissey Paul, but this was such an like crazy unexpectable and I looked and like I said, I said, yeah, played for the first time since two thousand and three, for all you can say.
Speaker 3: About coming out and doing the black firm and stage thing.
Speaker 2: Mico was also in their second half set kind of going, We're gonna just explore every.
Speaker 1: Honey, this mirror is are big enough for the two of us, first time performed since twenty ten, and like, Honey, this mirror is a big enough for the two of us. Thank you for the venom and give him hell Kid? I like that could be my three favorite MCR songs and getting them all in a very short speriod of time like that is another element of like you absolutely.
Speaker 2: Get across the two sets between House of Wolves, give them hell Kid. Yeah, I was a drowning lessons away from having a perfect micro Roman set. I Destroyer, which is my favorite fucking song off Danger Days. I fucking love that song and I'm glad that that's the one that that does still get to pop up every now and then because danger days. You know, we've discussed the album at length. That song is such a cool different cut for Michael Romance, and I'm glad that still gets a thing. And then when you're dropping your closing run of I'm not Okay, Nna No in Helena, like that's you know, that's your victory lap at that point of like, these are are the big hitters, let's go. But yeah, like see home, it's being bigger than a bank with them and give them hell kid in this sort of second half of the Cells, like you are dropping the hard tunes for the Moshes Michael Wical Romance, Thank you. It was a really great kind of like not just like two great. And again at this point the set no stage show. It is them on the B stage in the middle of the crowd, with the crowd around them. But again this is just you know, a small white This is not you know, the big circle. This is a pretty small island where they're they're just kind of on that and so this is this is them getting to do that kind of intimate, get in with the fans up close sort of thing. But it also not totally mean that the band kind of unit is spread Finn and you're losing that. It was a really great difference between the biggest, grandest spectacle I've seen in a long while and then playing a stadium like it's a club like.
Speaker 3: It was a really cool contrastween the two. Very my romance.
Speaker 2: Helena to close out perfect, you know like what I sing along it was.
Speaker 3: It was really great. I'm excited see again on Saturday.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited to see what random shit they pull out in the in the B set on that night, I'm praying for Drowning Lessons.
Speaker 3: Knowing my luck they will play drug.
Speaker 2: Lessons for the first time since what two thousand and four and ever on the Friday when I'm not there, knowing my luck.
Speaker 1: But you can't say knowing my luck when you've just had these two shows plopped in your lap for precice. I know, I know.
Speaker 3: That, but yeah, two big rockersals. I am someone who will champion. Go to your local hardcore show, Go support you're seeing, Go to your tiny club shows.
Speaker 2: That's where you're going to see the future of live music. That is what's going to sustain live music. But sometimes you have just got to go and see the biggest rock and roll show you can see and have the best time. I'm at it, and I managed to get that twice, so I'm kind of like having a good time with.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, this whole black parade, you know, musical theater reimagining version. It's the kind of thing that like, like, you know, I've had conversations with people where they're like, I quite like some michemical romance, but I could never get fucking like the whole the the like raving your fucking ravenous frothing at the mouth, you know, obsession with all of the world building elements and the musical theater and stuff kind of you know, I could never get invested with that, and it turned me off and going like full as you say, completely unsubtle camp high camp musical theater version is almost like a type of MCR show that would be most built to alienate people who can't get on board with that. It's so fucking fucking naff. But in terms of returning to the album and as you say, not just like putting back on the old clothes, but doing something with it, it does sound like, you know, nostalgia done right, essentially with something extra to it, but nat Lich and Final Dose were good, so to fuck you. There's that.
Speaker 3: But that's the shows we should we should be championing. Go to those shows, or don't just go to your big rock shows. But sometimes you've just got to go to the big rock show.
Speaker 1: YEP. So that is the big round up for this week, and next week we're gonna be talking about bring Their Rice in Nostalgia Show doing twenty years of Cat Your Blessings. But there you go, a little bit of news this time. It's been a fairly chill week on that front, unless you are Damon Albarn Because on the beef watch front. Something that's fascinating about the music industry and particularly I guess some of the like the physical nature of live shows and like literally putting people in the same you know area, is you get crossovers of artists who you would never imagine being like the come together with like because I you know, we're talking about Uncollassen and the Dead Beats and Damon Albarn of you know, Gorillas and Blur fame and like obviously we all know Blur, we you know, we all know Gorillas. You might have a relationship with those bands I'm a big fan of Uncle Ass and the Dead Beats. I can't imagine those two. It's almost like those two live in different universes inside my head, you know. So the idea of them congregating in the same field at different ends at the same festival and having a war of words something that you like, could not have predicted, you know, wouldn't have pulled that out of the hat at all. But that is in fact what happened when performing at russ Kilda Festival, which is one of those festivals that famously has very eclectic, strange like lineups of the biggest stars imaginable and then pulling in some of the you know, weirder, grottier end of what we do. Both Gorillas and Unclasses and The Dead Beats were playing at the same time on different stages. Obviously Gorillas were doing the big one and Uncle Acid were doing one of the little ones. Suddenly Damon Albarn starts kicking off about apparently being able to hear music from this other stage and uh, Uncle Ass in the Deadbeats statement is apology to everyone who came to Reskilda Festival hoping to see us play a full set last night pop diva Damon Albarn of the novelty cartoon act Gorillas, threw a hissy fit while we played, threatening to storm off stage, before finally getting our set shut down because we were too loud. They were the only headliner of the whole weekend who couldn't cope with playing at the same time as our artists. Unfortunately, we only managed twenty five minutes of assaulting his precious ears from our stage half a mile away before his goons came over and pulled the plug, despite us being below at the festival dB limit and offering the turn down front of house to continue the show they wanted us off thanks to Raskilda crew and stage manner who tried their best at intervene, but it was altoly out of our hands orders from above, which good on Uncle Acid for just like not pulling the pudgy with the language. It's such a specific sardonic type tone that they assumed there. But Gorillas, I mean, I uh, the first three Gorillas records I do have relationship with, particularly Demon Days when that came out, was like a pretty big album for the underniab the classic album I would say in that again, the kind of alternative hip hop, whatever type of world. Uncle assen the Dead Beats as much as I let the Guerrilla's albums. They never wrote the riff to Poison Apple. They never wrote I'll cut you down. You know, there is different world going on here, Like I said, envisioning these two coming together, considering as they were saying, you know, it's not abnormal at all to have two different stages a different festival playing and even though a headliner is financially speaking, they're bringing more people to the festival whatever they are. In that sense, they're the digat raw, They're more important. I don't think there should be any sense of like superiority between like a main stage headliner and then a you know, smaller, more underground stage headliner. If that's what unclassid we're doing. I don't think you really, as an artist playing on one stage, have the right to demand that someone else, you know, playing in their assign sloped by the festival on the other fucking side of the site, you know, cut everything off for your benefit. This is absolute pop diva behavior, as they put it. But want a clash? What a meeting?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I like I saw this and I seemed like the clip of like oh, and I think it's clearly like he's kind of growing about on stage and someone on his behalf was then gone over. Like from what it sounds like like his team are basically said to cut the ung class set because he's winging about being able to hear them and apparently like fair, I've seen people say like, yeah, you could hear the other stages, like there was a weaving with the festival, but you know, like that the festival should like better plants that the bands can't then, like you can't penalize another band for something that is not their fault if they're you know, playing beneath the agreed limits of the festival.
Speaker 3: But it is just it's just very funny.
Speaker 2: I mean, like again, I I do quite like those earlier grill Grilla's record probably the best thing Damon all One's done. You know, I don't like Blur, as we discovered in the ninety seven special, so I'm kind of very much on the you know what I'm on. I'm on unclassic side on this one because I had to listen to fucking Blur album, So fuck Damon albarn for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unclassid drummer independently added cartoon band. Indeed, Damon Albarn and Gorillas are soft as baby shit fuck them.
Speaker 2: Which not missing, They're not mean. Some words they have they have clearly taken.
Speaker 1: This is kind of like yeah, fuck you, Yeah, hopefully unclassid. I don't know. Get a couple more fans out of this, who would go, oh, who's beefing with Damon Albarn over there and they discover this fucking sick band because one of the great, yeah, brilliant, unbelievable story. There you go a little bit of new music. This is weird. A modo Math have released a single called Upath and it is a Mono mass first ever acoustic single. I don't know if this is the lead single from an album that's coming up. I would imagine they'll probably, you know, be a proper lead single for when an album comes out. Whether this song appears on the album or not is another thing. But it's definitely a choice taking a mono ma mouth acoustic in a weird way because obviously their music is so melodics despite how heavy it is, and it has that root in you know, like Viking era, you know, medievalism and stuff like that. I could sort of see it happening, but it is still, as they say, a choice, particularly when you have Johann still you know, he's not quite death growling for most of it, but he is still very much sticking to the gruff, hamming it up Viking. I am carrying my steel you know type type, you know, a character that he plays with a Monomth. I think he probably like, you know, he's he's a vocalist who has you know, decades in the game. He probably has a really good control of, you know, his voice, and I probably imagine that he could, you know, if he was just to sing a regular folk song, you know, he would probably carry that very well. But he ins said he's chosen to very much stay in the Monomath character for it.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I did sessue a man to listen to this because it's very hot today and I saw a mono Marth really's acoustic sing.
Speaker 3: When I was like, not today, I can't. I can't bring myself to like today.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's a cookie monster campfire song.
Speaker 3: It's just what's gone on.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, for people who have a lot kind of checked out over Monermath entire thing, those people would probably find the song unbearably cringe. There you have it. Then we also have on the new music front a new album announcement from Devil Master, which is right on que in my mind because I was just thinking, like a week ago, it's been a while since the last Devil Master arab when they're gonna do one. It's been four years since the last one, and they're kind of, you know, a punky band. You might expect to work a little bit faster than that. But I said, right with you in my mind. They have anounced Their album is called Bloody Dreams. It's out September the fourth via Relapse Records. Got to kill our fucking album cover, because if Devil Master have nothing else, they will have really fucking rad as shit aesthetic choices and you'll want to buy their stuff on every format, every item of merch whatever. And there's a song with a full on eighties horror VHS star music video as well, very much fit in the bill, called You Worms vein Delusions, which is a great, great title, and I wouldn't say that are any surprises really from the song itself, Like it's not even one of their slightly more left field songs. That they can do within their albums. It is a straightforward, fast, punky, slightly crusty, you know, with that crazy gata too. And they have a yeah, fucking careening, out of control devil Master song. But as I said, after four years without that, fine by me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got that kind of slightly psychedelic touch that I think they can bring in, which I think is a fun element to add. But I hope I was like, yep, Devil Master doing that kind of punky, weird black melting that I really got into on the last album. I will take another album with that, and if the leading will go by, I think this is like the opening track on the album. It's a good kind of like vibe. I'm ready for more Devil Master.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what does intrigue me about this? And I did, like to extent that I did a genuine double take because I thought I must have read it wrong. According to everyone I'm seeing here, it has six tracks this album, and like I said, Devil Master are a pretty like fast in and out punk band. There are other albums they are, you know, at least sort of ten track affairs, if not a few more. When you throw in some of the spooky interludes and stuff like that. They tend to have so six songs on an album, and one of them sex with Suckubus. That is a title of a song from their like Demo era. It's on their demo compilation from before their first album. So maybe that's again the same you know, demo era song they've decided to actually years later, like nearly a decade re record and put on the album proper. But I know that that is like a fast, punky, devil Master type song and the way they are but six songs to get it to full length when you are playing del Master songs, I am predicting at least one of these is going out there like I could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm expecting five songs of punky, fast devil Master and then a twenty minute song or something like that. Yeah, that is like them throwing every idea they've ever had and just kind of going we are, We're running with it, and I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm just gonna pull out. For example, the final track on it, the sixth song, is called Farewell Waltz to Unfortunate's Palace, and I could imagine that being a full on ten minute plus trippy Yeah, or maybe the title track Bloody Dreams, which comes before that. But considering this song is very straightforward Devilmaster. Just the fact that there are six songs on what Is you Know being market as a full length does suggest to me that there are more psychedelic, expansive passages to be discovered awaiting in this It also has a couple of guests on it. One of them is Chris aulsh from Power Trip, who was their drummer on the previous album, but he's you know, appearing in a part time capacity on it, but also Mirai from Sai, the Japanese black metal band, and also another Japanese black metal musician from a band called Arkaspar. You know, Devil Master I have always taken some influence from that kind of again psychedelic, weirdo Japanese heavy music scene, so it doesn't surprise me. But Mirai from CSI being involved with with Devvar's record is fucking cool. That record is coming to September the fourth, And while we are speaking about say, they have also announced an album to be released the same day, September the fourth. It's called Goka. It is the follow up to the twenty twenty two album Shiki, which was very I liked around these parts. And this also has a few guests listed on it, one of them including Michael Lakafelt from Opeth appearing. I hope that's a growl. I mean, if he comes to us some singing or something, or even a guest earlo, that would be cool. But I hope we get full on beast Mo Demon Michaelacafelt a PEII on a SI record, But just that as a pairing at all. Oh no, sorry, I'm reading here. Apparently he adds a guest guitar solo. Well there's that dream dashed but still cool. Cool Michaelacafel a Pei on a SI record. Very nice. Yeah, love site. They're beginning really fucking killer album cover as well as they always expect them to have. September the fourth.
Speaker 2: Good day for black metal. About black male albums, I'll probably really like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, September the fourth is looking freaky. A few first of all announcements over in the US, and I guess it's of curiosity to us Maryland Deafest. I've added a few more artists of Note Autopsy are right up there doing a fortieth anniversary general celebration, which I imagine will be you know, pulling out all sorts of historic cuts and stuff like that. But two names in particular jump out of this current MDF poster. One of them is Black Breath, who did perform that set at the what was it like Pacific Northwest Terrorfest or whatever it was that they randomly got added to and we were like, well, the fuck Black Breath are back. And they did play that show, and I've seen a couple clips of it, but not as much sort of coverage of it as you might expect, and I was like, will they do more? Will they appear? We now have in twenty twenty seven at least one more Black Breath show happening, so the dreamer is alive. Basically I'm saying Damnation or someone you know, get on it. But Black Breath are playing at least one show in twenty twenty seven, so it wasn't a completely one time thing. And the other return is Insect Warfare, who are playing a twenty anniversary set of their grindcore classic, one of the most seminal grind records of the twenty first century World extermination and the last time that Insect Warfare played a show was in fact Maryland Deadfest ten years before this for the tenth Anniverse three album. So whether they do more than that, I don't know. But for the grindheads, Insect Warfare coming out of their you know that's big. Yeah, every decade fucking hiatus and appearing is big news. So two shows added on to Maryland Deafes say that we overhere are looking at with with keen interest, wondering if it might possibly go anywhere else. Meanwhile, Fortress Festival have added a their first wave of bands. This is the black metal festival in Scarborough I've been going through for the last few years. They had already announced Emperor as one of their headliners for next year, but this is the first proper wave of other artists. And when they announced Emperor, it was a you know, it's a larger than average band. It's one of the real, like big name big gets for Fortress. But Fortress is a festival that has kind of built its name on cult, underground exclusives and stuff that you wouldn't imagine ever seeing anywhere else, and when Emperor was added, people like, oh, I hope we still have some of that that other stuff. This first wave I think very much, answers that, yes, that is still what the Viber Fortress is because what they have added twelve fans. First one that they put out there was Grub, whose album Cremas we spoke about a lot last year. Yeah, and this is mad because after group out of that album, the main guy was like, I am retiring from music. He said that he had, like you know, he had like health issues that meant that he didn't feel comfortable performing or anything, and he was like, I'm putting out his album and then I'm retiring from music. And then less than a year later he's come back saying like I'm better now, I'm gonna play shows, Like yeah, okay, great, and if it's health.
Speaker 3: Reasons, you're gonna go back on, I mean, that's totally cor yeah.
Speaker 1: But I like, you know, I didn't imagine the thought that was like basically my favorite black metal record of last year, and I didn't imagine I was gonna see it. And then suddenly he's like, yeah, I'm gonna play a show and it's a worldwide exclusive for twenty's even as well, So there you go. If you want to see that grab record being performed, then that is happening at Fortress. Then they added the Quebec band miser Rare Luminis, who put out an album that I've seen, you know, quite well reviewed in some areas this year. They also then added this is probably the maddest one of the bunch, another Quebec band, Gre spelled g r i S, who are performing their worldwide live debut at Fortress. And this is like, you know, when we were talking about gallow Bray last year, this is that because Greed are again really in underground, but like a really well beloved, kind of depressive black metal band, and they're like their sort of key record that this is a record that, like, you will have people out there who would say it's out their favorite black metal album album ever. Right came out in I think about two thousand and seven, and they're just twenty years afterwards being like, we're going to play it, or at least, you know, play the first ever live show. Yeah, And so that's a you know, a bout that people have loved for years and years and years, never ever imagined it'd be performed live, and then suddenly, for the first time ever, there it is at Fortress once again pulling out something mental like that. That's probably the most bizarrero thing on this announcement. There's also the Swiss band tady Garda Yellow Eyes, the kind of us experiment of black metal band. They are coming over for the first time in eight years to the UK performing their most recent album, Confusion Gate in full. There is the band More appearing at Fortress tra which is another fucking crazy pole, Like that's one of those band camp guys who's put out like a hundred albums, but like really mad stuff. It's like really freaky created stuff going on in his records. Slagmar, which, aside from sound like a terrible insult to to someone's mother, this is the band where I was like, I recognize that name? Why do I recognize that name somewhere? And then I realized that they were involved in a scandal earlier this year where they faked them all disappearing in the woods and I was like, Oh, it's the it's the pr stun't disappearing in the woods band. But they're playing.
Speaker 3: Was upon a burning body exactly that have a.
Speaker 1: Cruno are playing. Finnish band very good Sinemara, one of the great Icelandic bands of that kind of period of the sort of lar ten years or so. They're on it for Arrests, the Quebec band who they played a couple of years ago. They're coming back from somewhere. Yeah, I've seen. And then finally a Dungeon Synth announcement for Fortress Fortress Fest. An artist going by the name Dungeon Troll is going to be appearing what else, and he says that he's going to be performing original unheard music at Fortress Festival that he has no plans to actually record or release, so it's just to turn up and hear the world exclusive of Dungeon Troll music that isn't going anywhere else. But that is the round of names that they have added after Emperor Onto for festival, which fucking hats off to him. Madge it to the end in terms of bands are like I'm a really big fan of I want to say there's quite as many in there as like, say, you know, the first wave of last year's announcement. But obviously, like I said, grab didn't I love that record last year? I didn't imagine see it live. I'd be excited to see Sinemara. I'm bit excited to see have a crew new I would be here. It's about what the fuck Dungeon Troll is doing. That has all been added to next year's Fortress Festival, and then finally a couple of live announcements that I maybe have more of interest to you, Sam Converge, after appearing Breakfast year, they have added a UK and European tour where in the UK they're going to be playing leads Bristol, Glasgow, Nottingham and London. And the Converged Tour, which is obviously in support of their two albums that came out this year, is bringing along a package of Sanguy Suger, Bog Black Braid and Pupil Slicer. I love how Converge are so a so respected themselves, but also be we know the members of that band have such a clectic, wide reaching tastes that they can put together. I'm like, I remember, for example, you know sometime in the late twenty tens they did that bill that was like Converge crowbar thou Grave Place.
Speaker 3: That's when I went to and like.
Speaker 1: And it's like nothing really unites those other than Converge are able to bring them all along. And this considering we have a really fucking like horrible Brittle Death. Got a band in Sanguy Suger Bog, you know native American black metal in Black Braid, and then you know UK like math core in Pupil Slicer. Once again, nothing really unites those other than converge can ask them to come out on tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it just s captures these like what Conversion, They're going to bring an extreme kind of support bill, but it's gonna be you know, different lanes of that, but it's all going to kind of have I guess, a unifying vibe of just like, yeah, all of these bands probably have as some oh something to converge in some way, so it makes sense we're gonna go.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's a really cool.
Speaker 2: Interesting just kind of like it's somes of what I love ourt converged tours when they come about where they say you're gonna get some of that is going to be heaviest shit, but interesting and care and different each band. Easy sport bands really different vibe, really different approach to vocals and like and their own take on heaviness. I think I think it's great and I think we've converged, you know, kind of leading thing.
Speaker 3: It's undeniably gonna be a great night. Yes.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then finally one again, very much to give interest to you, sam Is, I promise the world, who just played their UK debut at Outbreak Festival a couple weeks ago, they are coming back through sort of you know, Western Europe and playing quite a lot of show in the UK. I promise the world coming about you're probably gonna hit one of those that I'm at.
Speaker 3: The New Classing show in London. Yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, I want to, I want to, you know show. They've got a band Rosa Sharon support in which I think for like a new metal coal band.
Speaker 3: That's a very good name, Rose Sharon.
Speaker 2: They're pretty cool, like I think they played like hellfare so I'm like, nice package of that kind of like metal course scene revival stuff that I'm into.
Speaker 3: I grabbed my ticket for this already because I want to go and have a good night with that.
Speaker 1: Yes. So that is the roundup of the news this time here in you know T and M universe. We are going to in about a week or so, we are going to be getting our teeth into the fourth and final part of our Corn Band Special, one of the band specials that was most requested of us down you know, the last handful of years, you know, over ten years we're doing this podcast right, and Corn was obviously in contention of a whole that we are coming right to the finish line of this looking forward to getting into that and then you know, most recent material and wrapping all of that up. If you want to hear all of the Corn Special and all of all the other specials we've done, band specials lists, silly shit that like all of that, you can find at patroon dot com slash That's not Metal, and by going over there that is also the best way to contribute to helping this podcast keep running and keep afloat as it has done for all those years. So thank you to everybody who is so kind as to go and do that. Let's finally end this with some releases for July the tenth, twenty twenty six. First up, bringing the Horizon, speaking of twentieth diversaries and all this jazz. Count Your Blessings repented the re recorded version with I Guess That one original song out as well of their debut album Count Your Blessings out in the world. We are going to be talking about the Count Your Blessings, you know, showcase at Outbreak, the big twenty third three show on this show next week, and I guess as the album is out, we'll probably just chat a little bit about the you know, the rerecorded product a little bit as well, so we'll get some thoughts out on that. But that is out in the world today. Then we also have in the metal areo type lanes, you know, glossy radio metal core, the plot in you have got a self titled album. Then pivoting over to brit rock, we have the excerpts have got their new album called I Think I Want to Go Home Now experimental, weird hardcore, I guess is how you would always describe this band, show me the Body alone together. Their album is out devil Driver one of those names still kicking around, Devil Driver. They have got god knows how many albums they have now, but the newest one which has a very funny cover of like a hyena wearing a battle jacket. It's very daft looking. But the album is called Strike and Kill. That is out in sort of very rowdy, heavy metallic hardcore. There is no cure with a record called It is Going to Get Dark. There is day Dream Plus out on. I think this was run for cover, wasn't it. This was the band that was members of two Mold doing like really snappy summary, like instrumental city pop. Yeah, that record is out that second last day of summer in a kind of instrumental post rock post metal. There is if these Trees could talk with the Hidden Hand, weird out there progue tech death metal arise from Worms featuring members of Morbid Angel and Kryptopsy in various such such legends a bleeding Tree hanging self destruction and then in black metal more Rear, who was one of those bands I just listed being on that latest Fortress announcement. They have got an album called New levin In. That is it for us. Hope everybody who went to Metallica or My Chemical Romance enjoyed it just as much as Sam did. I hope that everybody who's at two thousand Trees this weekend, we are not a trees this weekend, but I know that that is going on. I hope everybody over there is a having a good time and b staying cool, because holy shit, we looks like we're in another one of those weekends.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I was like, it was bad enough last year.
Speaker 1: I was goddamn yeah, but you know, solidarity to everyone's there. I hope it's sick. As said, next week we are going to be packed talking about the Bringing the Horizon Out Your Blessings event, and then you know, we'll be around after that. As I said, with more corn special goods on the Patreon July's reviews at some point after that as well, So lots look forward to. Cheers everybody. Bye,