Speaker 1: Yes, you are connected, and thank you for coming by. Welcome to the Big Radio Show. It is Wednesday, the twenty eighth day of May twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. So got some tariff. Keep kicking the tariffs around. You know, we'll see what We'll see how it works. I mean a lot of people I've told you historically it's not a good thing. That's why I in general am opposed to them. But could it could be much to do about nothing. I mean, it goes back. Did you Oh, by the way, did you hear.
Speaker 2: The name?
Speaker 1: It's it's actually become a trade on the trading desk here in New York, and it's the taco trade. And the taco trade is at Wall Street. First of all, they love acronyms. They love love acronyms, and so now they've got this thing called the taco trade. I told you, without using the term, that it is so predictable. The president announces that he's going to slap some big, huge tiff on some country, and uh wham, obamo, down goes the market.
Speaker 2: I mean liberation.
Speaker 1: What we lose two thousand points for a couple days in a row, is that what it was I know we had the I know we had the kazoo player for two or three days in any case, So down it goes. And then later on the President comes out and says, well, maybe we'll delay that, or we'll put that on a naughty day delay. Then he went after the European Union on Friday. We finished the show on Friday with oh my gosh, he's going after the European Union with fifty percent tariffs.
Speaker 2: We didn't even get the weekend over.
Speaker 1: By Monday night, Memorial Day, he's on the tarmac at Morristown Airport flying back to DC and he said, yeah, actually I had a good call with the head of the EU and so we're going to put that on a delay until July ninth. And I knew what would happen. Sure enough, Mark, it came roaring back. So it goes down on the announcement and comes back on the pause and they, I mean, it's to the point where I told you last week, I said, my gosh, you could trade this. I just wait, wait for the stocks to be pummeled on the announcement of tariffs, buy a bunch of the ones that got beat up the worst, and then just wait a few days and the minute he announces okay, maybe we're not going to be doing that right now, the stock will come roaring back and then you sell it and you make a nice profit. Well I wasn't the only one thinking about that, because they call it the taco trade. Taco you know, like in the food taco. What it stands for is ta ceo. Trump always chickens out. It is literally a thing. I'm not making this up. A reporter for CNBC was in the Oval office with the other reporters today. Janine Piro is being sworn in as the US attorney for DC, and so he had the media there and the CNBC report said, sir, do you know about the taco trade? And it stands for Trump always chickens out? And she asked them and he said, it's called negotiations. That's what it is. That's the way I negotiate. And I'm not going to give away the way I negotiate, so you believe what you want. But it is, it's become a thing on Wall Street for to buy on the on the the announcement of a tariff and to sell.
Speaker 2: When he when he.
Speaker 1: Backs off, pauses whatever it is. So yeah, he says, it's called negotiations. And I'm not going to argue with him, but he that's his style, that's what he does. My only point is it causes havoc chaos in the economy. So the reporter said, uh, you know, this is what it stands for. And the President said, after all, after I did what I did, they said, we'll meet you any time you want. You call that chickening out. It's called negotiation. And then he said the question was nasty. Well it may have been, but it's it's the real thing. It's going on, call up your broker and ask for can we do some taco trades? See if they know that's a New York thing. Well else we got here. Oh, as far as the companies, these companies say that they're going to raise prices because of the tariffs. Walmart they announced that they will increase their prices because the tariffs are too high, particularly because of the fact that they get a lot of their products from China. So they've got a thirty tariff on most Chinese goods. There's a ten baseline teriff for most imports. Then on top of that you've got steel and aluminum face far higher rates, so Walmart said they would increase their prices because the tariffs are too high, particularly the products from China. Doug McMillan, who's the CEO of Walmart, said, we will do our best to keep our prices as low as possible, but given the magnitude of the tariffs, even at the reduced levels announced this week, we are not able to absorb all the pressure given the reality of the narrow retail margins. In other words, they don't make a huge profit. They got a very narrow profit line. So he says changes prices at Walmart will take effect by the end of May that would be Friday, and will increase much more in June. According to the chief financial officer over there, Mattel.
Speaker 2: Said it would raise prices due to tariff.
Speaker 1: Chief executives told investors under the current scenarios we are considering, he expects forty to fifty percent of its products to remain priced at twenty dollars or less. He advocated for zero tariffs on toys and games around the world. President Trump threatened Mattel, saying he would put a one hundred percent tariff on his toys and he won't sell one toy in the United States and that's the biggest market. So I don't know he's threatening. Nobody hasn't done anything about it. Best Buy. They warned that vendors across our entire assortment will pass along the levels some level of tariff cost to retailers, making price increases for consumers highly likely. Some electronic components and devices are temporarily exempt, but that won't last forever. Nintendo they have a new product out called the switch To, and like everything the Tender does, there's a waiting list and you've got to order a pre order online thing, and they have delayed allowing people to sign up for the pre order because of concerns. They don't know what they're going to have to cost. What the price will be Company laters at pricing won't change from the initial four hundred and fifty dollars, but the accessories will experience price adjustments, so whatever the accessories are for a switch To will cost more. They're going to try to keep the price at four to fifty four hundred and fifty dollars for a Nintendo.
Speaker 2: Shine and t Move. Chinese retailers.
Speaker 1: They were exempt because they always sold cheap products. It was called the deminimus exemption for anything worth less than eight hundred dollars. There was no tariff that has been done away with, So who's this TEAMU came out and said, due to recent changes in global trade rules and tariffs, our operating expenses have gone up. To keep offering the products you love without compromising on quality, we will be making price adjustments starting April twenty fifth. So that's already a month old. Ford in Subaru hit with twenty five percent tariffs. Most autoparts face a similar duty. Ford's chief financial officers that it expects to raise prices by as much as one and a half percent in the second half of this year due to tariffs.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Subru, which is a Japanese car maker, if he didn't already know, said it will increase US prices to offset increase costs. Did not specify how much the price will go up. Procter and Gamble, Stanley and and Black and Stanley, Black and Decker. They own brands, believe it or not, Procter and Gamble.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I've owned Procter and Gamble forever. They own every they own, Pamps, Tied Charman. They said they're considering raising prices in some categories that there will likely be price increases because of tariffs. So this is going to depends upon what you're shopping for. Adidas said higher costs are likely for products in the US given the uncertainty around the negotiations between the US and differing exporting countries. We do not know what the final tariffs will be, according to Adidas. So there's some of the companies that are raising their prices and there's others out To dig the list out for you and add that to the show here today, but it is I think you're going to find some stores and some product lines you're going to notice are going up and others are not. So it may change the way that you go about your shopping. And trust me, if you start buying somebody else's product but not Company A, you buy Company B, Company A is going to pay attention to that, and they will if they can change their prices. So that's what's going on with tariffs. We've got still want to find about the Democrats. Looking for the Liberal Liberal podcast guy Joe Rogan. He was a liberal, he was a Bernie Sanders supporter. They lost him and the Democra after trying to figure out why So it does remind me of Air America and all that. What they tried, they tried, it wasn't that long ago, and it did not work. They think they got it this time. Phone number here eight five five two nine five sixty six hundred. You can find the phone numbers and the links to everything, including my podcast, by just going to my website, which is simply my name.
Speaker 2: It's Tom Sullivan dot com. We'll be right back. Hey, Hi, Tom, listen almost twenty years and have never once called her emails? Well, what took you so long? You're with Tom Sullivan.
Speaker 1: So we get back to Ukraine and Russia, and Russia obviously is Trump's getting a lot of heat about that too, going you're you're the last man on earth to believe Vladimir Putin. And so they asked them today again in the Oval office. They said, so, when are you going to know if Putin is going to be wanting to sit down and in this war? And he said in two weeks. In two weeks, I will know, because the question is is that, why aren't you putting like horrible, terrible sanctions? And now you know how I feel about sanctions. I don't think they work. People violate them all the time, but you could put something. At least you could try to do more than we're doing now, which is next to nothing. Russia's having a great time. They're not being held back by our sanctions in any way, shape or form. I remember when Biden put them on after the Ukraine War started, and they were a joke then. So there's plenty of room for Donald Trump to lay some severe sanctions on and see if they work. And if they don't, lay some, make them as severe as you possibly can right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Don't play that game.
Speaker 1: So we've got He says that it'll be two weeks and he will know if Vladimir Putin is serious or not, because he's been talking about Putin. He said, Putin's crazy, and the Russians are writing back, well, we love Donald Trump. We think he's a wonderful, you know, praising him and doing all that. But we think that he's emotionally overloaded. So they're calling him emotionally overloaded. He's calling Putin crazy. He told the reporters in the Oval office today. In two weeks, I will know whether Putin is going to sit down and at the peace table and come up with the end of this war. Russian meantimes, they said, oh, why don't we have talks next week? And they're there. They really are. They're not that good at it, because it's very obvious what they're doing. They're they're stalling. They're doing everything they can to stall. The meantime, they're ramping up their attacks on TV and all of Ukraine. I mean they are bombarding those places. They're trying to get as much as they can right now. I don't think from what the way you observe what's going on, Russia certainly doesn't want to stop. They think they have the upper hand. And now Germany got involved again in the last twenty four hours and they said, all right, fine, nobody else is going to do this, We're going to step up. So they're going to be working with Ukraine on missiles and all kinds of military hardware. Germany wants to ramp things up, but Germany also has done a lot of business with Russia.
Speaker 2: So I mean it's.
Speaker 1: Putin wants NATO to say they will never ever ever allow Ukraine in and I'm going so fun I do it just sign the I don't think they have any business in NATO.
Speaker 2: But that's my two cents.
Speaker 1: Brett McGirk, national security guy under a bunch of administrations, says the sanctions look like they're getting bipartisan support.
Speaker 4: I think what we'll likely to see is back to Russia's maximalis sayings because they do not want to cease fire. I spoke with you the morning before that Trump call, and we said we will know after this call. Is this all diplomacy, Is this all just motion or is there actually movement towards the goal of a ceasefire? And I think we have the answer. There's movement backwards because days after that call, Russia launched the largest aerial attacks against Ukraine since the war started, three hundred missiles and drones two nights in a row, mostly Iranian drones. Also dovetail here with Iranian diplomacy, kind of a wave of the future, no pun intended. These massive drone and missile strikes very reminds me of the attacks against Israel that US military helped stop. So look, bottom line, I want to cease fire. Okay, I think this diplomacy is hitting a bit of a dead end. So President Trump has two choices. He can back off as he kind of suggested after that call, which I think is exactly what Putin wants. Or he can stand up and support Ukraine a little. But there there's an option here that's interesting is in the center right now there is a bill by Senator Graham and Blumenthal with eighty two co sponsors. When does that ever happens, like bipartisan basically imposing the sanctions that Trump is threatened. So President Trump can go back to Putin or Steeve Wick coughing, go back to the Russian and say, look, you know more at a sorrow than angrily given your actions no movement towards the ceasefire. These sanctions are coming, so we really have to get something moving here. The second thing, though, Kate, is the military supplies for Ukraine. They're starting to run out this summer. Trump has not authorized any more military is basically ammunition stuff Ukraine needs to defend itself, and I think that should also be turned back on. So long as Putin is showing no indications of getting to a ceasefire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some are worried that we're going to get into a big problem with Russia.
Speaker 2: Believe that it actually wants to.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you that but I'll let you know in about two weeks. Within two weeks, we're going to find out very soon, we're going to find out whether or not he's tapping us along or not. And if he is, we'll respond a little bit differently. I can say this. I can say this that I'm very disappointed at what happened a couple of nights now where people were killed in the middle of what you would call a negotiation.
Speaker 2: I'm very disappointed by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's he what does what does? What's you going to do? What is Donald Trump going to do? This is the anti war president, and yet he's getting pushed by Putin And there's a lot of stories about is this going to be World War three? Because it's ramping up between us and them? I what one more from Well, let's get Arett mcgerkin here again, talking about the fact that Trump knows he has to maintain a relationship with Putin.
Speaker 4: When you're negotiating, even with a counterparty who's an adversary, you have to have a bit of a rapport and relationship. I think that's something Trump says, It's something I think Steve Wicoff understands. But you also have to have some leverage. You know, diplomacy is not all just arguments at the table. It is actually interests and leverage. And that's where the Senate bill is really interesting. I think if the White House was seen to be working with the Senate towards imposing those sanctions, it might it might mix things up a little bit here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Eiler, what do you how far do you think Donald Trump will go? At the very least, He's got to lay some sanctions down if Putin doesn't come to the table, and I doubt that he's going to come to the table and actually agree to anything. Dan Hoffman, former station chief for the CIA in Moscow, said war might not end until Putin is no longer the head of Russia.
Speaker 5: I think it's important not only to see the world through the twisted KGB eyes of Vladimir Putin, but also to see ourselves through Putin eyes, because Putin is a KGB guy who's sizing up the president and his administration. Putin knows that President Trump promised to end the war within a day when he was on the campaign trail. He knows that the United States would like to expand our commercial relationship with Russia and he's certainly well aware of the contentious relationship between President Trump and President Selenski. Putin probably thinks he has some leverage right now to carry on this war. The question, the penultimate question that I think President Trump might want to be asking Director of CIA Radcliffe, is would Putin even be interested ever in stopping the war? This is Putin's war. He's spilled massive amounts of blood and treasure to topple the government of Ukraine, and so far he's failed. I'm not so sure that the war is going to end until Putin is no longer in the Kremlin. I think that's the question we need to be asking. And then a follow up, what can we do to test? So we may not know the answer. We haven't really used all the leverage we have. We've got secondary sanctions warmed up in the bullpen thanks to Senator Lindsey Graham and Democrats who have supported that proposal as well. And then we've got arms that we can provide Ukraine, patriot air defense and offensive munition. So there's a lot more that we can do to test that hypothesis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Donald Trump really has him. Joe Biden was the one who held them back. And said, you can't use our weapons for anything outside of you can't shoot them into Russia. The German leader today said, not only are we going to work with the Ukraine, We're gonna work with you on provider to use more missiles, but we're also not going to hold back on you can use our German made ar towery and everything else anywhere you want. You can fire it right into Moscow. We don't have a problem with it. So the military aid Dan Hoffman thinks is pretty darn important.
Speaker 5: You know, you're getting to putin a little bit when you hear the nuclear rhetorical brainkmanship. When the Biden administration was talking about giving Ukraine the weapons they needed when they needed them, that's when Putin's stalking horse, Dmitri Medvedev, the Deputy National Security Advisor, was threatening nuclear war and that really got to Joe Biden, and I think it really induced the Biden administration not to give Ukraine Javelin anti tank weapons and aircraft and other things that Ukraine needed when they needed it. But look, Putin's strategic objective has never changed. He wants to topple the government of Ukraine and install a puppet regime what we need to do is make it clear that's just not possible. And where the rubber is going to meet the road is whether Putin will ever accept that. And I don't know the answer to that question, Bill, and I don't know whether we can know until we really take serious action against Russia in the form of economic pressure that we haven't taken so far, as well as military support Ukraine. Now President Selenski's in Germany right now and the Germans are talking about giving Ukraine the Taurus long range ballistic missile. That would be a good thing for Ukraine to have in their arsenal.
Speaker 1: So Donald Trump, I don't want any wars. A guy is now faced with what to do. Major Generals James Spider Marx said Putin his whole thing is he doesn't want NATO to be anywhere near him.
Speaker 2: Clearly Putin wants that.
Speaker 6: I mean, he has stated all along he's looking for some type of a protection from a near abroad. He wants a buffer between NATO and Russia, and he essentially has it with Belarus. And his intent for the invasion three years ago was to achieve that with Ukraine. He failed in Ukraine, but he achieved a bit of it right from Karkiv all the way down to the Crimea. So I think in his mind this is essential and through his perspective, you got to put this in his perspective. NATO stated early after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the United States stated in a concert with NATO that we would not expand it inch eastward. Well, we did that over the course of the intervening years. We chalked up a number of NATO partners, and we went right up to his doorsteps. So from his perspective, we're lying bastards. We don't do what we say we're going to do. So we have to be able to understand this from his perspective. But to assume that he's going to embrace a written accord or a statement from anybody and be a signatory to that is foolish, A hard part.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, so we told him that we would not do certain things that we did it. Anyway, back to General Mark, she talks about what a peace agreement could look like.
Speaker 6: President Trump especially called President Zelenski a jerk in the White House, and I know they noticed that Russia noticed that. So I don't fully understand what the intent is here. I really don't. I can't into the head of Putin, nor can I into the head of our president. But clearly what our president is concerned with is Putin has embraced none of the offers for some type of an engagement that would bring us to some type of a seafire, and then you've got to sustain that seafire, and then maybe you move in the direction of some longer term agreement, whether that's a peace agreement, an armistice, a division of Ukraine not unlike Berlin post World War Two, I don't know, but you would think that Russia would realize that this is an opportunity for them to get exclusively off their war economy, which is what they're on, and they can only sustain that for the next maybe twelve to eighteen months. Canato in the inter do the same thing. Can they continue to support Ukraine over that period in a fulsome way that gives Russia every incentive in the world to stop this thing?
Speaker 1: Well, the way the Soviet Union was brought down was because of the economy in Russia. And if they're only got twelve to eighteen months of where they can do a wartime economy, then now that gives. I would think that would give Zolensky an upper hand if the United States and Germany or the rest. I'm good for Germany, But where is France, Where is England? Where are the Caspain? Where are the other countries of Western Europe that are part of NATO? Are they stepping up? The only one that is is Germany now they're just starting. So where this will go? Has got a lot of nervous editorial writers out there talking about we may be on the verge of World War three. I don't think we are. I think I don't think. I think Putin is a great poker player, and he doesn't dare do anything that will upset us too much. The fact that he could scare Joe Biden off by saying, yeah, I'm going to use my nukes if you keep pushing me and jebaih and went running off into the corner and started crying. So Trump has to if he's really the tough guy, he has to stop with the hey my buddy, Vlad and start talking about you better shape up Russia or else. And I don't think he has a lot of desire for or else. We'll be right back.
Speaker 7: You do what you're doing toyl I'm loud. You bought the topic that, oh Tom, you are so wise.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. If he walks away, he will look like he is not willing to put up a fight. And I know in this audience it's been very mixed. Some of you are very much in support of Ukraine. Some of you are going, it's not our war. What are we doing? Who cares? It's the same thing in the House and the Senate, And it seems to be bipartisan about whether or not you're in the mood to support Ukraine or walk away. But that is where we are. That's what's coming down to. And I don't know what's going to happen out of that phone number here eight five five two nine five sixty six hundred Ray in California.
Speaker 2: Hi, Ray, what's up?
Speaker 7: Hi? Is this Tom Sullivan from the Financial Friday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what's up?
Speaker 1: Ray?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm just going to say we're going to miss you. I think that that the President should start talking to the leaders of the other countries about an embargo on all of Rushton's products and get the attention. Doing nothing is just you know, that's a no go.
Speaker 1: That's one of the options walk away. I mean that is an option. But to your point about sanctions, Joe Biden put some sanctions on. They were very weak and then lifted a bunch of them off for no reason. They're they're they're they're toothless.
Speaker 7: So Joe, Joe was afraid of his own shadow.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 7: Trump's not that type of person, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think so, he doesn't appear to be that way.
Speaker 1: But I wonder if he's going to muster up the you would think with all the again, the bravado and everything else that comes with Donald Trump, like him or dislike him. He he likes to be the New York tough guy. And I assume he's going to be tough with Vladimir Putin. I'll be shocked if he's not. And to your point, put some sanctions on and but we had here's the problem India. We we like India, India likes us. We think they're important. In Apple's moving a bunch of production to India. India was buying the oil from Russia under the table because they got it for a discount. What do you do with that kind of problem.
Speaker 7: Well, I think you can go talk to India and say, look, unless you want putin controlling more of the world, then you need to align with us and stop buying for a period of time until it can breaking. They've got to do it one way or the other. This stagnation and two years of war doesn't make sense. I'm a Vietnam vet, so I have seen what happens to soldiers. But the whole country is just being tore up, and that's that's not good either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the number, I mean, thank you for your service, by the way, that's important, But the the numbers are supposed to be up near a million people have died of that huge We're getting up to World War two numbers here, and it hasn't There's no there's no end in sight. They're just job owning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we we, uh, those of us who served, served with the idea that you know, we would serve so our kids wouldn't have to serve sub day. And yet again here we have two fronts uh in in the world that are in the midst of war. And you know, I shake my head. I guess I was, you know, uh in dismay and and just it just you know, didn't make sense. And I didn't think I'd ever see it, But boy did it get me.
Speaker 1: I remember when my boys were born back in the late seventies, and at the time, all of a sudden, I thought, hmm, here are these little babies. Are they going to have to grow up and fight a war? I thought, well, the forties were World War Two. Then throw in the early fifties for Korea. Add twenty years onto that for quote a generation. Now, you're into the seventies, that's when Vietnam was going. Add twenty more years onto that into the nineties, that was when a rock was going. Now or twenty more years later. I mean, it seems like we are on a cycle that every generation is going to have. Our people from our country are going to be out fighting wars every twenty year, twenty twenty five years, almost like clockwork.
Speaker 7: So yeah, some some leader or person or faction in the world has not learned from the lessons of war. I just I can't imagine the presidents that make those decisions to send young young men and women into war. I I've got other views about that, well happening. You know, their kids need to go first, and maybe they would think a little harder about it. But certainly aggression makes choices really tough.
Speaker 1: I don't know what Putin's, what his family is, how many does he have children or not? Are they Have they ever been in military conscript in Russia? I have no idea Donald Trump did. He avoided the draft, so he does. I have found talking to two men like you Ray that have seen the battlefield. You're and I mean this as a compliment, you're the most anti war people in our in our country.
Speaker 2: You've seen war. You know how ugly it is.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if anybody who has ever seen battle that likes it the things that's a great idea, So it's too bad, But we don't think so we don't have Trump doesn't have that experience. I don't know if Putin does or not. So maybe they're not thinking like you are on that. But I I think you're right on with your with your observations. It's uh, it's trust me, every every every guy I've ever met, doesn't matter which war. If you've been on the battlefield, you don't want your kids or anybody else going.
Speaker 7: So it's you see, you see a country devastated and and just not only does it affect the people, it affects the soil, the dirt, you know. Yeah, it's it's you know bad. So I hope that it ends. I never thought it was going to last this long, and but I thought NATO would have more pressure. But that doesn't seem to work either.
Speaker 1: Well Putin's surprise too, he didn't think it would last either, So yeah, whoops. Good for the Ukrainians. Ray I got to hit or break. Thank you for your kind words, thank you for your service, and we'll take a short break and be right back. Phone numbers eight five, five, two, nine sixty six hundred short break, don't go away.