Speaker 1: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, the five o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: Let's get started as we get closer to Kentucky Derby one fifty one.
Speaker 2: I don't do they have a.
Speaker 3: Day for Wednesday at the track. I'm sure they have like a theme and whatnot, But you know, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's just wind day.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got five oh Tuesday, Derby Oaks Derby. Does Wednesday have a cool day if it's win like I mean, it's Winduesday. I mean, I guess it, you know, makes sense, It's okay. You don't want to Yeah, you don't want to force something that's not there. That's an easy play into, you know, the day Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Wednesday is a tough day to make names off of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I haven't looked outside since I walked in here about two and a half hours ago, so I could be totally wrong, but I thought today was going to be a pretty pretty crappy day when it comes to weather.
Speaker 2: But it was gloomy, humid, and then at least for a little while, it was sunny.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if that stayed, you know, if it stayed sunny outside but as I said at the beginning of the show, it kind of seems like earlier this week it appeared that the forecast was going to be not in our favor for midweek, but by the time we got to Friday, Saturday, Oaks and Derby, it was going to be a little bit better. But now it looks as if we've got some some good rain chances on Friday, and then Saturday still looks pretty solid from what I'm looking at right now, but obviously that could change, and we never really know, like if it's worth even looking at the forecast. So anyways, just getting closer and it's exciting. Derby season here in Louisville is awesome. And I was out at the track this morning. Austin was there yesterday and he was a big winner at Tuesday, and he's been winning races to that too, so good stuff. And I didn't I wasn't there yesterday for anything, in fact, and I got there this morning and backside for a little while and then headed out. But just being at Church Dunts, even though it really wasn't the full experience of you know, like taking in the races, but just being backside making making you know, a couple laps around the barns. I mean, I really only went because my son thinks it's the coolest thing ever that, Yeah, he gets to see you know, the barns and see the horses as they get ready. I mean, he, as we've discussed before, he's he's in love with horse racing. I don't really know where he got it from, but you know, I thought maybe there's a chance because he's now playing every sport possible seemingly and is really into that, that maybe he wouldn't be as excited an into it, But no, he was. I mean I got him up this morning at six o'clock and as soon as he opened his eyes to kind of, you know, wake up while I'm picking him up out of bed, he said, are we going to? Are we going to the horse track? And I said, yeah, we are, and he was he was ready to roll, and uh, you know, he asked me because last year we we it was the first time he got to go behind the you know, backside to where he can actually see some of the horses, yeah, as their training and that kind of stuff, and I mean, you know it's so sweet. He was like, do you think they remember me? He was talking about the horses, and I'm like, sure, of course they do. Yeah, they wondering what the hell you've been Yeah, this guy, They've been waiting for you. So uh, he he got to see not every horse this morning, that of course is going to be in in the Derby, but you know, he got to see a few of them. And then I showed him, uh you know, the program and uh there there I did it. I showed him online and in the Churchill Downs website it actually shows a picture of each So he was looking at him, and uh, he decided to roll with uh one that is believed to be one of the favorites.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I hope, I mean, I'm I'm I'm still gonna take Rodriguez because, as I talked about earlier this week, I just loved the story behind it because of the documentary, and it's also seemingly it's the Badford horse. I mean that alone speaks for itself. But American Promise is what Moose is going with. That's that's number five and and uh that's what he's picking. And I'm pretty sure in his four years on Earth, he's he's had the Derby winner at least twice now.
Speaker 2: Sired by Justify the good jeans you good Jean.
Speaker 3: I mean, justif I was the one of the triple Crown winners, right, yes, look at me, I think the I act like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Horse racing hung around me too much this week. That's right, Justifies the youngest triple crown one. He's the youngest Derby winner and the youngest triple crown on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Justify correct me if I'm wrong. Was that the second or the first of the recent two that we had?
Speaker 2: The second American Pharaoh was? That's right? That's right. I knew that there were two. I just couldn't remember the name of the other one.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Derby vibes are strong right now, and uh, it's exciting. I'm looking forward to getting out there Saturday and doing whatever the team needs me to do. Being a part of the eight forty whas coverage is U is always a lot of fun and something I'm happy that I'm able to be a part of. And you know, I growing up we would go to derby parties around you know, we had friends and family. I mean there's like three or four derby parties I can kind of pick from, and sometimes I try to make it to multiple of them if I can. It's been more difficult to do with working Derby now. But what I'm getting at is that I like, I don't really remember listening to radio during Derby day as a kid. I would just run around at parties, play basketball and pick horses out of like a pot, you know what I mean. And see like that was kind of what we did. But you know, I've learned since being a part of it, and of course, you know, learning a little bit more about the history of eight forty whas like it's a big deal, Like it's a full on Like there's a lot of people who from start to finish, if they're not at Derby, even if they're watching the races on television, like they keep it, keep it on in the background because you know, it's I mean, it's full coverage from of everything. Right, We've got interviews with with you know, people on the red carpet different you know, it's our entire team here at iHeart Louisville collectively working together to provide what we hope is good cover. And I'm a very small part of it compared to the others that you know have done it for years, the Tony Cruzes, Terry Miners, Tony Venetti, but really looking forward to it. And if you haven't checked it out, I'm telling you it'll probably enhance your derby party if you have a song, because we'll kind of set the scene. And speaking of derby parties, I just thought of this. I mean, I think that's one of the really cool things about how we really embrace the Derby around here, because it's become really more it's become more of a difficult thing for the locals to go, right. I mean, it's just more expensive now than it was. And I'm not criticizing Churchill downs in any way because when it comes to the Kentucky Derby, I think they'd be foolish to really, you know, cater to locals. I mean, it's nice if they do here and there, but like the Derby is like again, you could restrict anybody locally from going like you can't be which would be stupid to do, of course, but I'm just giving you hypothetical. You could say that nobody from the state of Kentucky's allowed to go, and you would say, have a crowd that is massive, because that's what the Derby is now. Can it be really stupid to do that. But I'm just saying, like they know that they don't need to cater to us. And as we talked about earlier this week, as expensive as things have gotten and as much as they are really pricing certain people out and making it to where you get all inclusive if you buy this really expensive ticket, I believe, and hopefully we never find out, because I don't want them to do this, but they could double the price and still get people to come, because you know, there's enough people that just know.
Speaker 2: What the experience is like.
Speaker 3: And even if they really can't justify the expense as to where it I mean, I guess if you make the decision and you pay for it and you enjoy it, then if you that that I guess means that you thought it was worth the expense. But what I'm getting at is that, like it's such a place to be in, a thing to do for people all over the world, and there's a lot of people in the world last time I checked that. I mean, I don't think they'll ever have an issue with being too expensive to have a huge turnout. And I think they know that too. And again I go back to just the pictures over the years I've seen at Bowman Field with all those private jets that fly in for the weekend or maybe just the day, and I think, Okay, you know, people who are on a private jet to come to Louisville, Kentucky for the Kentucky Derby, they're clearly living a much different lifestyle than I am. They're clearly in a much you know, they're they're they're in a different tax bracket. But you know, that's who Churchill caters to. Now for the most part, it seems on Derby day and they're doing a good job at that. In fact, the more you make it like what it has become with it's kind of elegant now more so, I mean it's it's I mean clearly, the renovations that they've that they've done, it makes me sad that it doesn't look like it did when I was growing up, But like I get it from their perspective, it looks a lot nicer now, looks more modern. So, you know, the more they do that, and then there's a weird thing about like events Austin. You know this as somebody who's into you know, pop culture and and and and and I guess, you know, being younger, the more you make, the more you make something expensive, the more people want to be there.
Speaker 2: Sure like that that the more people keep buying it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and where they what they run into is that they they have something that let me back up, like the super Bowls are one of the biggest it's the biggest sporting event in America every year. But the but the super Bowl they have max capacity when they have it in the biggest stadiums that are built in the biggest cities.
Speaker 2: It's a sellout.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's there's a maximum amount amount of tickets that you can sell, and clearly they go for a big dollar amount. But your Churchill downs, like can you sell out Derby? I don't think you can, Like you could have you know, I feel like double the amount of people that have been there in previous years, and yeah, i'd be crowded, but like it's a humongous place, like I don't. I mean, I'm sure they monitor the amount of people that come in, but I mean it's also a huge property that you know, there are some areas that you know when you walk through it's gonna be tough, but like you you then will get to an area that's much more wide open. Yeah, and you can kind of find your own like you're not crammed in a stadium, you know what I'm saying. Right, So, you know, I think Church You'll probably for good reason, made some decisions in recent years to really just you know, go all out and continue to build and build as this is going to continue to be a bucket list item for people, and we're gonna build it as We're gonna build it and sell it as that market it is marketed as that. And again, there's enough people in the world and I mean across the entire world that will will at some point make their way here, and a lot of people and I've learned this just in doing interviews with different folks that are there every year for Derby. They come back like they're clearly enjoying themselves enough to where not only do they justify the expense, they start saving, you know, if they need to, or maybe they just have the money to where they know they're coming.
Speaker 2: Back next year.
Speaker 3: So you know, there's something about being in a place, being from a place, living in a place that that has a big event like we do here in kind of embracing it and you know, like I feel like we we kind of own the week in a good way as far as you know.
Speaker 2: Put it this way.
Speaker 3: Let me give you an example. I'm not even joking, by the way. This is not like some poor attempt to be funny.
Speaker 2: It's the true.
Speaker 3: I didn't think of it until I noticed it yesterday, and then I interested again today. We sometimes let the grass and the medians on these interstates in Louisville get to be eight feet tall. You won't find that right now. Everybody's coming to Louisville. We got to get the grass cut. There might be a nineteen ninety six Chevy trail Blazer that's been sitting on the side of the Greenbelt Highway for nine months, not anymore. They got it out of there, take it to the junkyard, take it to the you know, the impound.
Speaker 2: Lot or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: You know, we clean up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Around here whenever we got people coming in town for Derby. There may be certain areas where the city only cuts that grass once a year, but I guarantee, if so, it's going to be during Derby Week because we realize, hey, we got to clean up a little bit. We got people coming to town. We want to look our best now. I didn't plan on going here, but now that we're talking about it. Dave Portnoyd before he became the Dave port Nord that he is now, meaning like he's one of the most influential sports media figures in the country. Clearly a very polarizing guy, but obviously very successful. I happened to be a fan of his content. I don't always agree with everything he has said or done, but like I'm you know, I'm a stooley if you guys want to make fun of me.
Speaker 2: So he came to Derby many years ago. This was actually this was so long ago.
Speaker 3: I was on a different radio station at the time and I've been here for ten years, so in fact, it's been a lot longer than actually realized. But he came to Churchill Downs and I believe it might have been the first time he came to Derby, and it was when Barstool kind of began developing a big following and he really ran the city in the ground in a way that you know, was not nice. And he said something that I'd never really made the observation because it's just always been that way.
Speaker 2: But he's right.
Speaker 3: Churchill Downs, for you know, being the place that hosts the Kentucky Derby, the home of the Kentucky Devery, one of the biggest events in sports across the planet. In our city, it's it's not exactly nestled in a nice area really at all. Now they've bought up a lot of the property year there over the years to where it's kind of its own neighborhood of Louisville, right, like the Taylor Boulevard.
Speaker 2: Like there's areas of Taylor Boulevard.
Speaker 3: That now you can tell, oh, Churchill A bought that, and it's no longer somebody's property, it's now property of Churchill Downs, and they're just making parking lots or expanding all that kind of stuff. But like, I'd never really consider the fact that what is the biggest attraction globally in our city. It you know, it's not in an area that anybody would claim as one of the nicer areas of the city. I mean, I guess it's close to Cardinal Stadium and it's close to ul in that aspect. But like when I grew you know, even at this day when I go to when I go to the track, there's a lot of different ways to go, but like this morning when I went, I got on Waterson, I got off at Taylor Boulevard, and I remember what Taylor Boulevard is.
Speaker 2: Like I took a.
Speaker 3: Rite and then I hit Longfield Avenue and you know, like that's just my route. So like if I was going there every day, which I'm not, like, I would always go past an area that and I'm not. You know, I don't think I'm saying anything that anybody is going to to speak, it's no disrespect to people that lived there and grew up there.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm from Bully County.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean I make fun of where I grew up all the time, and you know, I love the place. Wouldn't change anything about where I'm from. But like obviously sometimes we make it pretty easy for people to make fun of us, you know what I'm saying. So you know, Taylor Boulevard, that area, I mean, even if it's your home and you love it, like I think we could all agree, it's not viewed as like an.
Speaker 2: Area that you would expect a big attraction.
Speaker 3: That is, you know, Louisville's claim to fame, but you know it's been there forever and I just always think about the amount of people who've been able to just timing on their side. They own a home near the track, and like, they know Churchill's got endless money, they know Churchill wants their property, and like what they've probably they've probably made life changing money at times selling property in houses because they know Churchill will pay whatever, because you know they can. So have you ever thought, I mean again, you didn't grow up here, so maybe it's not something that's really been like, but I remember thinking, I remember wanting to be like offended and like I can't believe Prez is coming at us like this, how about you show some respect pizza boy, Like that's what I'm That's what I'm thinking. Yeah, And I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, you know what, he's right, Like he showed a picture of.
Speaker 3: Him walking from Taylor Boulevard to like, you know, I guess he got dropped off and made a long walk and he didn't walk in near uh you know, Jim Patterson Stadium.
Speaker 2: He walked in on the other.
Speaker 3: Side over the old deja Vu. He was right there by DejaVu. And I remember thinking like, yeah, you know what if that if you get off a plane you drop your stuff at a hotel and you get an uber and you get dropped off at the Deja Vu and that that route to there and then you walk in. That's that's your first impression of this city. I kind of get his reaction, you know what I'm saying. It'd be like Outjavu by the way. Yeah, oh all right, p r ip. Yeah you're well miss burned down. Yeah, the only strip club in town where you could be eighteen and get in, at least at least that I know of. I know.
Speaker 2: Uh, that was my first when I turned eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was there's I didn't know it, but at some point maybe somebody just told me this and I'm idiot and believed it. But like, were we known as like a strip club city at some point?
Speaker 2: I don't know. So let me give you the.
Speaker 3: Explanation as to why I heard that, and this would make it make sense.
Speaker 2: We had a lot of we had a lot.
Speaker 3: Of them per per you know, per population, and we had rules that were a little bit lenient compared to others to where they could get like, you know, butt ass naked. Oh yeah, also bars can bars could stay over. I think other cities have adjusted, but I didn't realize this whenever I was young, and you know, a guy just hitting bars trying to party and not you know, not drinking, you know, to be social, but just drinking and get hammered like a dumb twenty one year old. I didn't realize that we had it good where we could stay out till like four o'clock in the morning, Whereas you go to Nashville, Like I remember my first time partying in Nashville, bars closed like one o'clock.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what the hell is this? We just started.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I think because of.
Speaker 3: The rule that and I imagine it's changed since then, but I believe the rule about just how naked you could get and how late we stayed open that made it to where like if you're in and I don't really know, I mean, I guess there are strip club guys, right, the ones that you know, if they're out of town, they want to find the nicest gentleman's club and you know, have a night. You know, do you live your life. Everybody's got to make a living. You're supporting people who you know, that's what they do to to, you know, to provide for their family. So no, no, shame in in that that being what you're doing. But I'd always heard that we were, like you know, we were. In fact, I was at I was at a strip club in New Orleans for a bachelor party, and I remember we told one of the young ladies that was there trying to hustle us as best she could for any money we had, that we were from Louisville.
Speaker 2: And no, she was just really into you guys.
Speaker 3: Oh, every every group, by the way, has a guy that thinks oh yeah, right, yeah, I got two of them.
Speaker 2: Think it's a real name. Oh like look, I know.
Speaker 3: But like we had a connection, like she she she asked me if I wanted to come to the back, you know, like that's an exclusive offer everybody's got, you know, and it's it's it's adorable too, because like, you know, the two people that I know of that are in my friend group that that have that have been that guy. Like they're really nice dudes that like just take people at face value, and like, you know, we had to break it to them easy, like dude, trust me, it got it got not contentious at one point, but like when we were leaving Trixies, you know where Tricksies was we're still open anymore. Here I am at the five o'clock hour on a drivetime radio shift. I'm throwing out all these names about all these strip clubs. People. People don't think I'm some horn dog that lives in strip clubs. That's all right, It's not the case at all. But we were at Trixies one time, and I remember like instead of just kind of hearing us out, like he was like, you guys are just jealous, Well, no, we wanted to save you know, you know, we're twenty one. We wanted to save the money we had for booze, not wasted on a you know, a lap dance.
Speaker 2: So so, yeah, so I threw you off your train of thought. So what did you tell this girl in Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, I told her we were from Louisville, and you know, here we are in New Orleans Bourbon Street, you know, big lights, big city, big party town. And she was she was envious, like she I wish I could come to Louisville and you know I was, I come a little and work for a year there because I clean up. And I'm thinking what And then she explained and it made sense. She was like, you know, we have to close early here and we can't get as you know, as as naked. And then she then she wanted us to know, but you know, we can actually kind of do whatever we want if we're careful about it, like basically saying, look, you guys, whatever you pay whatever, Yeah, whatever wild.
Speaker 2: Stuff you're into.
Speaker 3: We've probably heard a lot wilder in us young naive kids from Bullet County.
Speaker 2: We we we we we.
Speaker 3: Left pretty soon after that. Very intimidating a situation there and very very uh, you know, overwhelming, but yeah, shout out DejaVu. That's right, rip DejaVu. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. We are fueled by Thornton's. And again, you know, I'm just thinking, it's five twenty five. My mom's probably driving home from work. She's probably sitting here thinking, you know, that her son's some you know perv that just hangs out at all these trip clubs. That's not the case, mom, at all. I've only gone because of bachelor parties, and honestly, they forced me to go.
Speaker 2: I try not to go.
Speaker 3: I don't even I don't even I mean I've I just talked to the ladies there and tell them they should look into a different line of work.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: This is always gonna be a phenomenal vibe. But shout out to pardon my take, because I'll always think of the podcast because this is the theme song the intro for Big Cat and PFT, and it was a great it's you know, it's a great song by itself. That's also a great podcast. But now I always think about that. So, okay, this is good stuff. When did the song come out?
Speaker 2: It's a vibe that's a great because.
Speaker 3: The sound of like the music, I feel like it could be a lot of different nineteen eighty two, okay, so you could have told me like nineteen ninety four and I would believe it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, good stuff you do.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I gash you up enough, but I'm telling you, you do a really good job of giving us a lot of variety when it comes to the soundtrack that we hit each day here.
Speaker 2: So I try thank you.
Speaker 3: And I hate that our podcast listeners don't get a chance to experience just means that's the incentive to listen love because you get to you get to hear Austin you know, DJ travel Chief on the ones and twos, right, you know, bringing the vibes so good stuff. Last week when it was Friday night, whenever we heard Tyler Shuck's name called early in the first I'm sorry, early in the second round to go to the Saints. And I mean, I wasn't that surprised because clearly it was building that he was likely going to be the third or fourth quarterback taken. But man, I was just grinning watching it on TV because they're just talking up Jeff Brohm and Nick Saban, Like it wasn't as if they're going out of their way to to to really gass up Jeff. They were just acknowledging that one of the things that really made that really made Tyler Shuck, you know, attracted to the NFL outside of the obvious arm and just you know, his his I mean, he's got to he's got the build and he's a good player. So I'm not trying to give all the credit to Jeff for Tyler Shuck being a second round pick, but you know, Nick Saban just you know, and and you know they're they're talking up why he would be picked this early, and they would throw in, well, any any played for Jeff bram in appro style offense and that really helped him. And you know, clearly quarterbacks. No, Jeff Brown is a guy that if you have the talent, he can make you look good. But man, this is a stat that doesn't surprise me now that I hear it. But I was unaware and I'm trying to I did trying to do some some research during the break to see where this ranks. But since Jeff Brown became a head coach, which he was hired as a head coach for the first time at WKU in two thousand and fourteen, so roughly ten years ago, since he's been a head coach at both at Western Purdue in Louisville, he's had six quarterbacks drafted. I mean that's in a you know, ten roughly ten year span. Like that's impressive. Six different quarterbacks are drafted at three different stops. Maybe that's not as impressive as it sounds to me, but I mean if you consider the amount of I mean, I just according to like LSU has had the most quarterbacks drafted since two thousand, they've had nine. I mean, think about that. That's I think that's pretty pretty telling to you know. Now, again, they haven't had super successful careers in the NFL, meaning the guys that played for Jeff. But here I go again giving him all the credit for these quarterbacks in their play. But I mean, I think there's some guys like David Blou. I mean, nobody would have ever thought that guy would be in the NFL and he's still in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Who else? Who is the kid? At Western? There were two of them because Bailey's appy was post Brahm. But who was the guy?
Speaker 3: There was a gunsling and quarterback in Western that ended up playing for the Dolphins for a little while. I believe kind of had like a bro vibe to him. You know what I'm talking about here? Think of it, man, it's gonna drive me crazy.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah. So at Western it was.
Speaker 3: Brandon Dowdy, That's right, you know he was he ended up he ended up getting drafted in the seventh round. And then obviously at Purdue you had blow And then who's the quarterback that just started recently for Purdue, Aidan O'Connell.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeh.
Speaker 3: So he was with the he was at Purdue, and then obviously he was a starter at time last year for the Raiders. I'm not so again, these guys, you know, Jack Plumber, will all use him as an example because I don't think anybody would disagree with me. In fact, I got accused often of being like too nice about Jack Plumber. I mean, Jeff Brom like is probably the reason he was He's able to be in the.
Speaker 2: NFL as a practice squad.
Speaker 3: Guy like Jeff brom will make it work with a quarterback that's got a little bit of ability, but man, he can really really produce a high powered offense if you've got a guy like Tyler Shuck, and hopefully that's the same thing with Miller Moss. So, I mean, I talked last week about how Shuck it kind of feels weird because usually if you've got a guy that's got a chance to be one of the top three four quarterbacks taken in the draft, it's somebody that has been here a long time that's a real special player. Shuck was special, I believe with his ability, but he was only here one year, Like we barely got to know him. So it's just different. But I was thinking, you know what, man, like, we've been really lucky. We've been spoiled as a program with quarterbacks because we've all we've had a lot of all time greats. In fact, the guy who you know is coaching us now is one of our greats and his little brother was was phenomenal and now he's on the staff.
Speaker 2: So like, we've been really lucky.
Speaker 3: But like, now we've got a guy that, you know, like we should be able to sustain this as far as being a program that really can sell if you are if you are wanting to really make the most of your the rest of your college career, you know, Louisville's going to be the place that can really make you shine if you've got the ability. Because and this will always stand out to me because I wasn't expecting it. I was kind of surprised to hear, but it made sense once we got a little bit of an explanation. But during the Notre Dame game on Peacock, Jason Garrett was really gassing up Tyler Shuck and Jeff Brohm, and he'd mentioned that, you know, a lot of coaches don't like the new world where they got to go get a new quarterback every year, and you know, it's just a revolving door. But he said that Brom loves it because he loves being able to go out and find a guy that you know, he can he can see their ability, he can see maybe how they weren't utilized to their best ability in a different offense. And you know, he thinks he can really make it work. And honestly, I mean he he's done that. I mean again, I hate to sound as if he deserves all the credit, but let's be real here. I think if you are a quarterback and you're looking at options as far as where you could go to really showcase your talent and have some success and maybe get ready to be able to run an NFL pro style offense. I mean, I'm not saying Brom's the only option, but he's a pretty good one. And you got and something else I wanted to mention because the Jack Plumber thing like Jack was good enough for us to not be you know, to not slip up and lose to bombs, right. I mean, there was that Pittsburgh game and you know, he clearly didn't make big plays whenever you needed to in some games, but like, he wasn't terrible. He just it was weird because usually you would think if Jeff Brom's got a team that's going to the ACC Championship, it's because he's got an elite offense that's high powered with a quarterback, they're throwing it all over the field. Whereas that team, their strength was not quarterback at all. It was a really good running game with Isaac Garrindo and Juar Jordan, two guys that you know, we kind of forget about because we got two freshmen that just knocked it out of the park in their first season with Isaac Brown and Duke Watson. So it was it was running back in a really good defense early on that really made that Louisville team in year one for Brom have the success that they have.
Speaker 2: So Plumber didn't get drafted, did he?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: He went undrafted. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the reason I bring that up is because I don't think this kid ended up really doing much of anything. But Louisville was apparently in line to get the transfer Tyler Ferguson from Western I'm pretty sure his name was Tyler Ferguson. No, no, Tyler Ferguson that might have been the guy who played at Louisville long long.
Speaker 2: Ago then transferred there.
Speaker 3: There was a guy who I'm forgetting his name, and he played it Western. I think two years ago was his final season, and he was suspected to come to Louisville, and I mean, I think he had more ability, better arm. I think he could have been pretty special, more so, you know, clearly than Jack Plumber and probably would have maybe been drafted. And you know, so one the reason they had Jack Plumber is because it fell through Western Kentucky actually did come up with some pretty big an al money to keep to keep that young man there, and you know that's why you ended up with uh with Plumber. And again there's really no way around it, like there's no way to say it without sound. It was Austin Ree was his name, by the way, But there's no way to to say it without it sounding mean or personal. But it's just it's just the truth in the facts, and that is that you know, he was the weakness of the team. I mean, again, the team wasn't super weak because they were ten and two team that you know clearly fell apart late a little bit, but nonetheless, like being the weakness of a team isn't always you know, doesn't mean you're terrible player, it's just that, you know, if there was this, and I really do think the brom component of it made it made people more willing to be like, who the hell is this guy under center? Which Jeff thinking this guy sucks like people would call into the postgame show and say those kind of things. And I think it's just because with Jeff, you expect there to be a really really high powered, you know, high powered offense with a quarterback that's thrown it all over the field. All right, real quick, So what did you make last night of the And you may not have even seen it. I know you know of the story, but the the kerfuffle if you will, after the game between the Pacers and the Bucks.
Speaker 2: I mean instant reaction when you see even though it.
Speaker 3: Probably wasn't live Tyrese Halliburton's dad doing what he was doing. I mean where you take I mean, like I think that is that's beyond lame. And I don't really I've not heard anybody claim, like, you know, he was justified and you know, Jannis was being sensitive. The only person I think that was that was that was taken a different approach as far as responding to it, reacting to it with Shaq, And I think Shaq is a character, and I like Shaq, but I think Shaq also really just enjoys, really enjoys, you know, going against the grain, playing Devil's had. Yeah, because everybody else was like, I mean, that's just your your dad should never be out there anyway, right, and that that to me is the first thing. But also like this is gonna sound weird. Jannis Santetakounmpo is a specimen. He's tall as you know, a skyscraper building, and he's got arms long enough to do, you know, things that none of us would ever be able to do with our arms. But I think because of his nature, just because of his presence, in him being a very peaceful person. Clearly, you know, one of the issues for him early on in his career was not really having the motor right, like just not having the intensity because he's just a very mild mannered guy, very very calm. I almost feel like he did that to Yannis because he felt like he could, you know what I mean. But again, you wouldn't usually do that to somebody who's that tall and that big.
Speaker 2: But then again, like Yannis is not.
Speaker 3: Really a you know, scary, imposing kind of presence, and yet I saw Yannis angry in a way that you don't typically see, but I also totally understand it. So the biggest loser here is is the dad, sure in every way, because not only did he do something that like embarrassed his son and embarrassed the Pacers franchise, he also took away the moment like his son was the star last night. But that's not the story at all. People know it, but it's it's backburner compared to this, this situation that he created, that he started. And I thought Yanni's the long explanation about sort of why he just believes in being humble makes total sense. And I think if there's any player that might actually hear his side of it and maybe be a little bit more mindful about winning with you know, I know it's going to sund corny and cheesy, but like winning with grace and class, Like you know, there's there's like I think you can look good doing that too, if that makes sense. I know, we want to be flashy and in your face, and a lot of times that does add an entertainment element, and sometimes it's just people's personality that that that comes off either, you know, I think clearly certain guys who are really animated and over the top, that's their personality on or off the floor. Johannis, I think the guy you heard last night just kind of explained why he just doesn't register to him. For people to act like that and and you know, be in your face and taunting, that's just not who he is. And it's all because of you know, how he was raised. But I really thought Halliburton being in that situation, Like I'm not trying to paint him as a victim here, but he kind of is is he not sure? Like because his dad did something that clearly he wouldn't he wouldn't condone, he wouldn't, you know, he wouldn't.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Ever, there's no way that like he would want his dad to do that. And I think he's a grown man and like he's mature. So maybe I'm maybe I'm off here, but I think even given the fact that he's a grown up and he understands the optics of it, like there's some things that my dad could probably do that I would I wouldn't hear you meaning now it's my dad, I don't really care like I'm gonna support him. I'm gonna, I'm gonna defend him, and I'm gonna, you know, because it's my dad, so you know, to have the maturity and you know, I just again, I think I think this was about as good of a response as you could possibly have for the situation that took place.
Speaker 4: You know, as far as the incident between the honest and my pops, I had no idea what happened till I got to the back and showed the video.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Me and my pops have talked about that, and I don't agree with you know what what transpired there from him. You know, you know, I think basketball is basketball and let's keep it on the court. And I think that he just you know, got excited saw the Sun make a game winner and came on the court. But I think we had a we had a conversation, and you know, I think he just needs to just allow me to just play basketball. Stay over there. I'll come to him to to to celebrate. But I think it's the emotions of the game. Just got excited there. But I talked to him I'll talk with you honest eventually about it. Just you know, I don't think that my pops wasn't the right at all there and unfortunate you know what happened in the end there. But I mean this series was a lot of war of words, a lot of war of antics, a lot of stuff going back and forth.
Speaker 3: So again that was the that was the gist of him talking about his dad, and I think, you know, it's just words, but I think that's about as good as you could possibly handle that situation. All right, If you've got a situation in the bedroom where maybe you're not able to perform the way that you used to, let me let me tell you that you can do something about it. And that's that's reaching out to my friends. Over at the Louisville Men's Clinic, doctor would get you in shape. I mean, they've got to guarantee, meaning if you don't perform, you don't pay. That tells you they trust what they do, and that is treating a lot of different things that men may deal with, including a rectile dysfunction. They've got a variety of different types of treatment. And again that's lets you know that they're confident in what they do because if it doesn't work for you, you don't pay. So check them out online Little Men's Clinic dot com. Give me a call Fabo too, four four four four thousand quick break. We'll come back and wrap it up on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of time left here before we wrap it up and Austin, this will be another day where I just get the hell out of here because I got to get to a baseball game that starts at six o'clock. Oh but what if I told you that James Scott is going to be visiting.
Speaker 2: Auburn. What do you think of that? Oh, as long as we're trading him with the thirty year old, Well, he already committed to USC. Oh I didn't see that. It just popped a couple of days ago, maybe yesterday.
Speaker 3: So this is weird for me because James Scott has become the first trendsfer that I'm genuinely worried about, like I want. I want it to work out well for him, regardless of where he is, because I like him. I think He's a good dude, and I wish he was playing for us, But you know, I just I just know how close he is to Pat Kelsey, and you know, Pat Kelsey genuinely wants him to have a great career the rest of the the rest of the way, even though it's not gonna beat Louisville. And I'm gonna, you know, I'm gonna feel the same way. I just hate that James is leaving, but you know he's gonna look out for himself and do what he believes is best for him. But Auburn, like if they just give him a bunch of money, but yet he struggles and maybe does play a lot or doesn't because he's not able to fit what they want to do. Like can you say that that's a bummer because this is going to be a new element to just this new world. Is that Yeah, you didn't produce, you didn't have the you know the year you thought, but damn.
Speaker 2: You got paid.
Speaker 3: Like that's what that that matters a lot, right, Like, So you know, I worry for him because they do need a big you know, they've added a lot of guys, they lost Jenni Broome. The only center they have coming in is a Juco guy, and they also they also let's see, they've added some other guys in the portal, like Keishan Murphy, but these are guys that are not I mean, James is a true five because he doesn't have any really, you know, that's just what he is. He's a rim protector, a rim runner, and you know, they have a real need. So maybe they're going to pay a lot of money. But I just don't think he'd fit there because you know, put it this way, I don't know. I think he'd be a much better situation at Louisville. But you know, it's his decision, his choice. And also if money is really the factor in Auburn can pay a lot, then you know it gonna be hard for me to say he's making a mistake. But yeah, he's gonna be visiting Auburn soon and that kind of tells you. I mean, Auburn's a one seed from last year Final four team. I mean, yeah, he's gonna have interest. For those that just think this guy's super replaceable, I mean, he has a value that won't always show in the stats, and that's why I'm gonna miss him. All Right, We're out of time, you guys, Enjoy your evening. We're back at it tomorrow for some thrby action right here on Sports Talk seven ninety