Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hurricane Helene was not a huge, well, I shouldn't say huge. Was not the biggest problem in Florida. It wasn't even necessarily in Georgia, although it did hit and destroy some homes in Georgia. Western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee are the places that were absolutely inundated by what was Helene as it made its way through at the end of last week.
Speaker 3: Food and water is essentially run out unless people can get to some of these aid groups that have set up makeshift stations. But beyond that, we are in a very bad situation that continues to be fluid, and good news is not come yet as of now here.
Speaker 2: On mondays Fox Weather reporter Robert Ray, who's there in North Carolina Asheville, North Carolina specifically is an area that was very hard hit and the county, I think it's Beauchamp County. They're in western North Carolina. They said there could be a thousand people missing. Part of the problem is sell services out in the area, so you can't call loved ones or friends, et cetera, to find out how everybody's doing now. Just south of there, Governor Brian Kemp in Georgia said he toured the destructive the destruction zone in his state via helicopter.
Speaker 4: Literally, this hurricane, it looks like a two hundred and fifty mile wide tornado has hit. The pain is unusual about the storm is unprecedented for a cat too hurricane to actually make landfall in Georgia. And to see the level of a destruction that a hurricane could do in this community. Being this far from Lounge County or Eccles County in the Florida line is unprecedented.
Speaker 5: I want to so no power, no food, and they can't get out.
Speaker 1: No functioning roads in many places the roads have been completely washed out or broken up, collapsed at times. Just in Boone, north of Boone, where I just was watching the app state game, their game was canceled Saturday night.
Speaker 5: It is rivers. The roads are rivers.
Speaker 1: A mother of two pregnant by the way, Jennifer, says she's completely trapped in her home right above Boone. There severe flooding from tropical storms not the norm. She says, we were not prepared for this. The roads are gone, like completely gone, just stuck without power, without food, and you're stuck with your kids and you're I mean, how terrifying.
Speaker 2: A lot of people have said that they don't see any FEMA representatives anywhere near.
Speaker 5: They can't get in.
Speaker 2: The part of it is that they can't get in. President Biden gave an address just a short time ago from the White House. I have a warning, he coughs, right in the middle of it, right on the microphone.
Speaker 6: As President, I've seen firsthand the devastating toll so disasters like this take on families and communities. I went on the ground many disasters are since I've been president. Man, I've heard stories from survivors.
Speaker 5: This is the handleshoff it feels to be.
Speaker 6: Left with nothing, not even knowing where when you're back on track. I'm here to tell every single survivor and these impacted area is that we will be there with you as long as it takes. I seek you yourself, excuse me.
Speaker 1: He then on SNL did a really good job of capturing what we have seen with our own eyes. Unfortunately, this is a man playing out the winter of his life in front of the world, and it's unfortunate. Would you put me away in a couple of years and just not let anyone hear from me?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, if you cough that loud directly into the microphone, I don't.
Speaker 7: You've not done that. You sneeze.
Speaker 1: But that's as unexpected, unexpected little surprises.
Speaker 7: Stick up on you.
Speaker 2: The death toll from Hurricane Helene and the storms that resulted, the death tolls up over one hundred and ten is the last I saw in The New York Times says it's over one hundred and ten.
Speaker 7: It's going to get a whole lot worse right now.
Speaker 2: I believe this is now the fourth deadliest hurricane that we have seen in the last fifty years. Obviously, Hurricane Katrina was number one with eighteen hundred plus fatalities. Hurricane Ian cost one hundred and fifty direct and indirect fatalities. But there's a chance that Helene could go above that in terms of the death toll.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up next, Israel says, Yeah, we're going to go in and do some ground operations in Lebanon. It's not going to be like two thousand and six, but it's going to be something we'll tell you what you need to know.
Speaker 8: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kfi AM.
Speaker 1: Six forty Israeli special forces have begun carrying out small, targeted raids into southern Lebanon. They want to gather intelligence there is going to be an imminent broader ground incursion.
Speaker 5: They say it could come as soon as this week.
Speaker 1: They have included entering has tunnels located along the border. They were able to take out one of the leaders of Hesbalah over the weekend.
Speaker 2: They took out not they not only took out Hassan'sraala, they took out just about all of his I don't know what you'd call it, lietenant, cabinet lieutenants. I mean, the list of people that they have eliminated over the course of the last couple of days is very, very long. Benjamin at Yahoo. The Israeli Prime Minister has warned Iran that there was nowhere in the Middle East that is beyond his reach, beyond Israel's reach. He was speaking in English in this three minute video clip that was released by his office, in which he said that he was addressing directly the Iranian people, and he said there's nowhere that we cannot reach. There is nowhere we will not go to protect our people and protect our country. Once Sad Nosrala again, the head of it Hesblah was eliminated. Last week, the supreme leader in Iran went into hiding and went into oh crap mode hiding.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, get a diaper on that fella, because he's going to be spending a lot of time papooing out of fear. Also, Israel went after the hoothy rebels in Yemen. They we also the United States and Israel did some air strikes targeted some areas in Syria. Of course, Israel has been striking Gaza. I mean, this is I know that there's a lot of speculation that this is going to turn into a wider war.
Speaker 7: How it's not already.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's just been a slow rollout, but it has escalated, it has expanded.
Speaker 5: I just don't know when, I mean.
Speaker 1: What classifies as a full out, full blown war. Is it iron officially coming in?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Hesbla deputy chief, Sheikh name Kassam, today delivered a message of defiance in a public address. He said that we are ready, We are ready for any sort of ground incursion. He said that they're going to install a new leadership soon without any are There.
Speaker 7: Are a lot of guys raising their hand to like run in and.
Speaker 2: Go yeah, is there like a jedge.
Speaker 7: I'll put my name on that target.
Speaker 1: List, Gavin Newsom, who's ready to take control there.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: He also underlined the role of the United States today, calling them us a partner with Israel through unlimited military support, culturally, politically, financially, says we will win, just as we did with our confrontation with Israel in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: There was a a couple of different videos that made their way around social media this weekend that were sort of tongue in cheek explaining why you shouldn't kill Jewish people. And it was basically the Israeli military air strike video, but from a ground level, somebody's recording and there's a couple of things. It's my point here, it's guys on the ground recording buildings that are about to be blown up. Part of the reason they know that that building is going about to be blown up is Israel often warns the people in a neighborhood or in a building specifically we know that you have rockets in there, or we know that you have Hesbala leadership in there. You have about an hour to get out of this building because we're going to put it on the ground in a giant pile of smoking rubble. Then you have a bunch of guys standing around two, three, four blocks away, all with their cameras trained on that building, so that when it does go, when somebody does drop a two thousand pound bomb into thing and it blows up, they've got the footage of it. For some reason, that's a thing that they do. And then I don't know if they think that they're going to use that as propaganda against the Israeli military, against Jews in general, against these Zionists, or however you want to put it. But they've been given warning a lot of times to get out of the way before those things actually happened. So they did strike an apartment building again today. They they damaged the structure, but they didn't collapse it. Videos showed ambulances and a crowd gathered near the building in this Sunni district with a busy thoroughfare that's lined with shops. The official with Lebanon Civil Defense had said earlier that a member of the Al jama Al Islamia was killed in the air strike that sixteen others were wounded, but the militant group, which does fight along Hesblah, has not confirmed the death of any of its members as of yet.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: Vice presidential historian Joel Goldstein says that two recent assess nation attempts against Trump raise the saliency of succession, implying that the vice presidential debate tomorrow night has more importance than vice presidential debates in the past, to which I say, that's what a vice presidential historian would say. This means nothing. It's ninety minutes, which is bloated. I'm still excited to watch it. I think it's gonna be a punching match, and I think I'm gonna be entertained. I'm not looking for substance. I'm looking for entertainment.
Speaker 7: Is also also.
Speaker 5: That's sad about my life and about America.
Speaker 2: I think I know something about you, and you wrote down that vice presidential historian's name, and you're going to invite him to your next party.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not, No, I am not.
Speaker 7: So what do you do, Bob Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm glad you asked, does dan quail.
Speaker 7: Ring a bell?
Speaker 2: Perhaps Walter Mondale is more your speed, but tato.
Speaker 5: E no e, Gerald Ford, all right.
Speaker 1: Talk about that when we come back, Garyan Shannon will do. We've got a sex scandal on the way as well.
Speaker 2: Oh this, we're adding sex to a story that we've already talked about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, okay, why not?
Speaker 8: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Kevin or Newsom assigned a bill into law that makes California the latest to ban college legacy and donor admissions, including USC and Stanford.
Speaker 5: Officially right, those phone calls will still get made.
Speaker 2: Longshoremen on the East End Gulf Coat golf coasts are likely to strike at about midnight their time, halting most activity at some of the busiest ports in the country. The walkout by members of the International long Shoreman's Association would cost the economy billions of dollars a day. President Biden could use a federal labor law to force them back to work, but as of yesterday, he has said he is not considering using that power.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 1: Vice presidential picks traditionally are the the attack dog rolls right That means the people on the top of the ticket can just float above the political fray. They can be classy about their attacks, and the vice presidential picks can get down and dirty and sling all the mud.
Speaker 5: That's the way it was until Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: A guy by the name of Donald Trump entered the top of tickets and he has no problem slinging mud. In fact, he has been slinging more and more mud, calling Kamala Harris, what was it, mentally in unstable, something of this nature.
Speaker 2: I'll play for it, just really quickly, because this was from Saturday night.
Speaker 7: He was talking about Joe Biden.
Speaker 8: First, Joe Biden became mentally impaired, Kamala was born that way.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, it's tough when you when you hit a woman like that too. It does not I know he doesn't care, but it doesn't It doesn't get any points.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Like I said this, Vice presidential historian Jel Goldstein says that because of the assassination attempts, that the saliency of succession has been raised that many voters do view vice presidential nominees as appendages of the candidates who selected them, not necessarily as potential future presidents themselves. He says, people do look at somebody as are they going to be a heartbeat away? Now, remember how much how much criticism it was talked about when Biden appeared to be exactly in the condition he's in, and it's this is a more important election because one heart beat away as Kamala Harris from running the country, and now because she's the nominee, that all went away.
Speaker 7: Yeah, nobody talks about it anymore.
Speaker 1: There are people terrified of the fact that he looks like he's on his way out and that she could assume the position there.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could argue, and I think there was a lot of debate. Yes, we make a lot of deal we being the media, and make a lot of hey out of who's going to be chosen as the running mate, because it says a lot more I think about who the presidential nominee is than it does add any sort of benefit necessarily to the ticket. And even if, even if you look at the idea of someone like Kamala Harris, who is groundbreaking in terms of first woman of color, first African America for Cindy, and first Asian whatever, However, what all the firsts that she is. She's got to pick somebody Midwest white guy, football coach, school teacher, down to earth guy. I don't think much of that plays when it comes to voting. I mean, because I know that there's plenty of people out there who have no idea who the two vice presidential choices are. I mean, you would probably be able to ask ten people on the street, and good five or six of them would not be able to tell you one or both jd.
Speaker 7: Vance and Tim Walls's names.
Speaker 1: So some memorable vice presidential debates in history, there's only three.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's only three memories I can think of it.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety two, Admiral James Stockdale was the running mate of Ross Perrot. He said he was going for Breezy, but seemed befuddled when he opened the debate by saying, who am I?
Speaker 5: Why am I here?
Speaker 2: That was one of the best things that Saturday Night Live did is they used Phil Hartman as Admiral Stockdale.
Speaker 1: He later responded to a question, I didn't have my hearing aid turned up, only reinforcing the perception that he was out of it.
Speaker 7: And what was he seventy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly but in nineteen ninety two, you know that was old.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then of course the Sarah Palin debate asking Joe Biden, can I call you Joe? Trying to open it up with that folksye type of vibe. There is the Texas Democratic Center Lloyd Benson, who offered Dan Quayle of Indiana in nineteen eighty eight. This after Quayle compared himself to JFK. Benson replied, You're no Jack Kennedy, Senator. That's a classic line, it is. I worked with Jack Kennedy. I know Jack, you were no Jack?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: That was a good one. And then of course the fly on Mike Pence's hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have put even Sarah Palin's line up there in the top, but Mike Pence's fly is proof how little, at least to this point, how little vice presidential debates have mattered well.
Speaker 1: Sarah Palin's debate was of huge interest, A lot of anticipation there because who is she?
Speaker 5: Does she have the chops? She had just butchered?
Speaker 9: That?
Speaker 5: Did she butcher?
Speaker 1: That interview before or after the debate with Barbara Walters and I remember, but there was great anticipation there of like, does this person have what it takes?
Speaker 7: Was Barbara Walters or Katie correct?
Speaker 5: It was Katie correct. You're right, I get my blonde interviewers mixed time. But I'm a sexist.
Speaker 2: But I think that one of the issues that is different this time than in previous election cycles is that this there's one debate. Yeah, there's one debate of the presidential candidates to go off of. There's not two or three or more. There's one. And that puts a lot of pressure or you know, maybe more pressure on Tim Walls and jd Vance for tomorrow night than otherwise.
Speaker 7: What Why are they doing it in New.
Speaker 2: York City is a question I would ask if I was one of the campaigns, I would say, we need to stop giving the coasts all of this, you know, all of this high profile events like that.
Speaker 5: Why aren't they just living in a swing state at this point?
Speaker 7: Put it in put.
Speaker 2: It in the Philadelphia or put it in Detroit or something like that.
Speaker 1: All right, Coming up next, the shocking murder of a judge in Kentucky and his chambers by his sheriff friend, now being investigated as a possible sex scandal. Do do do It's Monday so.
Speaker 7: Hey, Robin, give me this computer overheads, got's a little.
Speaker 1: Bity possible sex scandal, A possible sex scandal.
Speaker 7: Sex scandal.
Speaker 1: To take three Monday, and Shannon will continue. Amy King is lot wait Amy Amy survived. I did the rope, did not break it didn't.
Speaker 7: You're wearing the you're wearing the swag and everything.
Speaker 5: Over the edge. Was it so much fun? Adrenaline? How did you feel? It was as I anticipated.
Speaker 9: It was terrifying and it was exhilarating and it was super fun. And it was so great that I went and did it again and took a friend with me.
Speaker 5: Oh really, yeah, Oh how fun?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it just happened to be Nick Pauliochini. I said, can we come back and do it the next day? So I took Nick down with me.
Speaker 7: Fantastic.
Speaker 5: It was really really great.
Speaker 9: And thank you to you guys for letting me talk about it because that helped helped give my donations a little bumpy bumpy.
Speaker 7: Oh good.
Speaker 5: Yes, And so I kicked nails. Yeah that's what I was waiting for. He did great too, He did right now, it's not a competition, but he made it, but it is absolutely he made it.
Speaker 9: He did and He even loved it and wants to do it again next year.
Speaker 7: Oh that's very cool. Ye.
Speaker 2: Well, good for you guys again to help Union Rescue Mission, right yep, for.
Speaker 9: A great cause, and so thank you. Thank you for anybody who donated.
Speaker 8: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: When the couple reunited with Rainbow, he had lost forty of his body weight.
Speaker 2: What are you doing the newspaper?
Speaker 1: It's just such a while knew you were such a read shamer.
Speaker 7: I just I have.
Speaker 2: First of all, I have not seen the New York Times in print for a couple of years now, and you actually had it and brought it in.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't have time to read it yesterday because I was playing football.
Speaker 7: Is it the Sunday Times? It is?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, I like I still like a physical paper. Once in a while, I did two everyone, So I just never.
Speaker 7: I don't think I've ever seen you. That's the only time I've seen you with an actual respaper.
Speaker 5: I didn't mean to alarm you.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not the only story that I'm getting in trouble for.
Speaker 10: Hey, Garrett, you know that dumb little giggle. You just did after you played the clip of Trump smearing Harris and calling her born mentally disabled. You think that's funny, You think that's funny to make fun of our mentally disabled people. That is so gross and that is so quote unquote christian of you. Do better, dude, seriously, do better.
Speaker 5: I didn't catch your giggle, or else I would have chastised you as well.
Speaker 7: That's a lie. That's a lie. It wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't making fun of anybody other than Donald Trump for being so completely off message and completely incapable of just arguing the points what he needs to make.
Speaker 1: It's the childhood It's the.
Speaker 5: Name calling, juvenile, not smart.
Speaker 1: It's like, if you're going to sling mud, be smarter about it. In her words, do better, Like these childhood playground insults are, They're just not.
Speaker 5: Funny or enlightened.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just like when I talk s about people, I like to think I'm pretty good at it.
Speaker 5: Like I put in the work.
Speaker 1: I get creative writing.
Speaker 7: Right, you know I get it. By the way.
Speaker 2: For those of you keeping track tomorrow Jimmy Carter's one hundredth birthday, a couple of different pieces over the weekend.
Speaker 1: About brain cancer and how he survived it.
Speaker 2: He's had he was diagnosed with brain cancer like a decade ago. Yeah, and he was already ninety at that point. And anyway, there are going to be more celebrations tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Peanut Carter at a hunt. I think peanuts are a wonderful food. They keep you healthy, they keep the brain cancer from getting you.
Speaker 7: I hope.
Speaker 1: He was the peanut farmer, right, Yes, okay, because sometimes I attribute that to Gerald Ford really mistakingly. So all right, so remember this story about the judge in Kentucky, his sheriff, a friend used to be the bailiff in his courtroom, a sole courtroom there in that county, walking into his chambers.
Speaker 5: The two were supposed to have lunch, and he shot and killed him.
Speaker 7: Shot him eight times.
Speaker 2: Now, surveillance video from inside the judge's chambers show them switching cell phones and looking at something on them before the sheriff walks over and shoots him dead.
Speaker 1: Now, the investigators have seized the two cell phones. They're being analyzed. But they believe it was a possible sex scandal that led to this, That the possible sex scandal is the motive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the explanation we know, oh, I should say. What we do know about this is that the sheriff had been deposed in a lawsuit filed by two women there in that county. One of those women alleges that a deputy, not the sheriff, but a deputy, forced her to have sex inside the judges chambers for six months in exchange for staying out of jail.
Speaker 1: The lawsuit accuses the sheriff of deliberate indifference in failing to adequately train and supervise the deputy.
Speaker 5: Now that is not.
Speaker 1: That is unfortunate because as a sheriff, you cannot train and supervise the sex assaults out of your underlings. That's not something you train or you supervise for.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't have to remind your employees, hey, don't have sex with inmates to keep them out of jail.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: But that deputy, by the way, Ben Fields, he had been the bailiff for this judge. And you know who was the previous bailiff, why the sheriff himself. Yeah, so he is.
Speaker 1: They're an insinuation that this deputy, I'm sorry, this sheriff was in trouble for his deputy having sex with this woman. To keep her out of custody, and that the judge looked the other way to allow the sex to go on in his chambers. And then the sheriff finds out that the judge was looking the other way, and because the sheriff's in.
Speaker 5: Trouble for this, is pissed off that his career.
Speaker 1: Is on the line, so he shoots and kills the sheriff eight times, eight times.
Speaker 5: Insinuates there's a little bit more to the story.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what is on those phones?
Speaker 1: What is on those phones? And was this somebody this woman? Was she being passed around? Was this just the deputy or was it the sheriff or was it the judge involved? Where's that thing?
Speaker 7: Oh it's too it's too late. I want to get in more trouble.
Speaker 5: Okay, got it.
Speaker 2: But the sheriff came out of the courtroom with his hands up, clearly he knew what was going down.
Speaker 7: After he shot the judge.
Speaker 2: They had worked together too, The judge and the sheriff had worked together on drug addiction and recovery projects because in that section of Kentucky apparently a lot of places in appellation, but in that specific area racked by the opioid epidemic and overdose's fentanyl, just all kinds of things, and that they were working together to try to clean up their county.
Speaker 1: There was a second woman involved, but those charges were dismissed because she is now dead. Yeah, they'd been friends for twenty years before the murder.
Speaker 2: Do you have any friends of twenty years that you'd murder in a heartbeat like that, that you'd shoot eight times?
Speaker 5: How long have we known each other?
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, we've been here for about twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you may have eight to twelve months left.
Speaker 7: The clock is ticking, all right?
Speaker 2: Coming up next, Gavenws'm busy octopuses. Hey, can we also talk about where you can drink until four am in the entire state of California?
Speaker 5: I mean outside of your legal I have money gets That's a good idea.
Speaker 7: Money gets you a lot of things. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.