Speaker 1: It's nice eyes, Dan Ray, i'mdelling you mazy Boston's News Radio Madison.
Speaker 2: That's not a skirt that I wanted to hear. Oh my goodness. Things not going well in the Big Apple tonight. P Hey, it's early. It's only the second inning. Rather be down five zip in the second inning than five zip in the bottom of the top of the ninth in this case. Anyway, good inning, everyone, and welcome. Name. My name is Dan Ray, host of Nightside. We have both Sean and Rob back in the control room tonight, so we have double duty. We have double coverage. We're in great shape from a production point of view. I have all the confidence in the world in both of those gentlemen. You should as well. During the first hour they'll be able to just relax a little bit. We don't get to phone calls until the second hour. During the nine o'clock hour, we're going to talk about the now I think pretty clear, the divorce between Donald Trump and Elon Musk. Will get to that. We also may talk about the indictment that came down late today of that Maryland man man who was sent to El Salvador apparently in error. Subsequently, he's now been indicted in charge with illegal smuggling and a conspiracy account as well out of the federal US Attorney's office in Tennessee. We'll get to all of that, and then later on time we're going to talk with an author, Jeff Convits. He wrote the book The Sentinel, which was a big New York Times bestseller, and he has another book coming out later on this month called The Circus of Satan, Murder, Revenge, and the Rise of Organized Crime, talking about various organized crime elements. He's a lawyer, he's very successful criminal defense lawyer and an author, and so we'll talk with him in ten and then we will have our twentieth hour of the week. And I'm not exactly sure we're going to do. I have a sense, but I don't want to commit to anything quite yet. However, I do want to commit to four really interesting guests. We're going to start off with Sean DeRosa, who's the director of Pool and Waterfront Safety for the Massachusets Department of Conservation and Recreation. Sean DeRosa, Welcome to Night Side. How are you, sir.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Dan, thanks for having me tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, we are moving into that season of the year when people want to get to the beach and they want to get to pools, and the DCR has some obligation to make sure that the beaches and the pools are as safe as possible for people who come here either as tourists or are Massachusetts residents. Tell us what the scope of the DCR is in the first place, just to refresh everyone's recollection, and then we'll talk about the reasonable precautions that people have to take when they decide to spend the day, a day this summer, or many days this summer near the water.
Speaker 3: Well, we sure hope it's a warm and sunny summer for us, all right. NASSDCR is our state park system in Massachusetts, So we operate in the swimming world, which of course is what everyone looks forward to doing the summer. We operate eighty different swimming beaches, forty nine of which are not lifeguarded, thirty one of which are, as well as twenty four swimming pools, and then two waiting pools for everyone free of charge. So it's an exciting opportunity for people to come out, enjoy the sun, enjoy the beach, and also cool down from the summer heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what are the problems Again, I'm sure that over time you've seen people who come either unprepared or take risks that are inappropriate. Let's just hit some of the the dues. Are the don'ts, with probably an emphasis on the don'ts for sure.
Speaker 3: Well, let's start with the dude, do have fun, but we want you to do it safely. That brings us to some of the the don'ts that we're talking about. But one of the most important things people can do is to choose to swim where a lifeguard is present. That is probably the most safe option that we have. That said, it's important that parents also watch their children, even though lifeguards may be watching over them. No one can watch a child as closely as their own parent.
Speaker 2: No question about that, and it's a parent's primary responsibility. And obviously, if a child gets in trouble, the parent has to maybe make sure they don't get in trouble. But if they do get in trouble, at that point, probably the professionals of the people who want to get involved. You don't want to have a situation where not only is the child in trouble, but the parent is in trouble as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that's one of the reasons why we do encourage people to swim where lifeguards are present. They're trained in water safety measures, and let's face it, on a stormy day, rip current are prevalent on some beaches and those can be deadly. Our lifeguards risk their lives every time they jump in the water, and we'd rather have trained professionals trying to make the rescue and save life rather than complicating it with additional victims. And that's also why it's important that we find enough lifeguards to staff these beaches, because this is an important public safety resource and position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you anticipated my next question. Obviously, we're now in June. We're wrapping up the first full week of June. How are you doing in terms of staffing, because obviously there are some locations you won't be able to open unless you have an adequate number of lifeguards. Do you need more lifeguards? We do?
Speaker 3: You know, we're doing fairly well this year. We've already hired over four hundred lifeguards and we have an additional two hundred and thirty schedule to start in the next two weeks. But we're still looking for about thirty more positions in the Greater Boston area that includes Chelsea, Cambridge all the way up to Lawrence even and for those positions we are hoping to find people who can swim. We offer the training classes for free. If someone wants to become a lifeguard and wants to work for DCR, will cover that training expense that's usually about three hundred and fifty or four hundred dollars, and we can offer a job that helps people regardless of what career they go in down the road. They'll learn skills while lifeguarding that I say transcend occupational boundaries.
Speaker 2: So is it realistic to think that someone who is not a swimmer can learn to swim that quickly with a few lessons, to the point that they actually then could be a lifeguard or do you have to have, really before you apply for this job at least some rudimentary experience as a swimmer.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So we do have entry requirements for the lifeguarding course. They're not as strict as they used to be years ago, but we do need a certain level of swimming profficiency. We do if you're interested in working with the DCR, we have a lot of information online at mass dot gov slash lifeguards that will explain the specific swimming requirements. Usually lifeguards have to swim about three hundred yards with a variety of strokes in order to get into the course.
Speaker 2: Well, that's if you can swim three hundred yards with a variety of strokes, you're pretty accomplished and experienced swimmer. That's that is great to know. As someone who might bring you know, children, well with not children now grandchildren into a DCR location, You're going to know that the people who are wearing that uniform are sitting out there on that that that chair that gives them a good view of the facility, the beach or the pool. Uh, they're going to be very qualified. That's that's great to hear. Any other last we got about a minute left. Any other last minute advice for people? Can they call an is there a number that they can call if they are a website they can go if they want to apply if they feel they have that qualification Number one and number two? Is there a way or a website where on a stormy day parents can find out whether or not these facilities are open or not and not make an assumption and drive twenty or twenty five miles and be disappointed. Is there a great website that people can access not only for employment but also for information.
Speaker 3: All of our employment information and our park alerts are posted at mass doc of SLASH Lifeguards or at the masstoc of DCR website. It can easily google DCR Park alerts and you'll find alerts for pools, beaches and the rest of our parks.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it, Sean, A lot of information in a short period of time. Let us hope everyone has a safe and successful summer and that every day is perfect weather wise. Thanks Sean. I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Dan. All Right, we'll talk again when we get back. We're going to talk about a bug that sounds great. It's called but do you hear this? A spotted a lantern fly. But it's a nasty little devil wreaking havoc in parts of Massachusetts. We will talk with a UMass entomologist on the other side of this quick break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Now, if I were to say to you, oh, come out in my backyard, I have a lovely spotted lanten fly that you might like to look at you probably say, oh, that must be a beautiful a flying insect. Well, it might be beautiful, but I don't think you like it. With us is Tawny Simiski. She's with the she's a u AS extension entomologists at the University of Massachusetts and Amherst, and she has an expertise on the spotted lanternfly. And there's probably little about this infestation that has been confirmed in North Andover that anyone in North End wants to hear about. Hi, Tawny, how are you good?
Speaker 4: Dan? How are you? Thanks so much for having me right.
Speaker 2: I had never heard of the spotted lantern fly up until now, and I hope I never meet one tell us about this beautiful invasive insect.
Speaker 4: If you will, you are certainly right, they are beautiful if you're like me, an entomologist or entomology minded and think insects are beautiful. But the unfortunate side of the spotted lantern fly is that it's non native. It's an invasive insect that was introduced accidentally into the United States, and it is an agricultural pest as well as a significant nuisance.
Speaker 2: Who accidentally introduced this.
Speaker 4: To a landscape Well, so they first came into the United States in Berks County, Pennsylvania in twenty fourteen, and it is suspected that perhaps they were associated with a specialty stone business, at least that is what the USDA had reported at the time. And why that makes sense to me is that spotted lanternfly lays their egg masses on virtually any flat surface, so that could include things like stone, firewood, outdoor furniture. That's how this insect can move around.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me ask you where is their home? Where are they endemic?
Speaker 4: Due they are native originally to China, India, and Vietnam, but they've accidentally been introduced into South Korea as well as the United States.
Speaker 2: Yikes, Okay, so how much of an interest do we have to worry about twenty fourteen they were a part in the punt here they were spotted in Pennsylvania. Where else have they migrated to in the last eleven years in the US?
Speaker 4: Well, for US, in Massachusetts, they first were detected in the city of Fitchburg and Worcester County in twenty twenty one, and as you mentioned, north andover this year they've been spreading throughout Massachusetts they've spread outside of Pennsylvania. They're known in New York, Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Virginia, and other areas in the US, and we're really just trying to keep an eye out for them.
Speaker 2: So I guess if you drew a big circle about four high five hundred miles around Pennsylvania, I suspect that unless there's something about I don't know, Michigan or Ohio or Canada, they're probably in those places too.
Speaker 4: I would suspect they are in Michigan and Ohio as well. Yes, and the insects spreads with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a lucky guess. So what's the problem here, As I understand that part of the problem is the residue we're using a nice word here, that they deposit wherever they are, and it's pretty unpleasant.
Speaker 4: So that residue is honeydew. That's the sugary liquid waste or extrement that they secrete. They use piercing sucking mouthparts to remove fluids from their host plants, of which there are over one hundred different species of trees and shrubs and other plants, including agricultural crops like grape, that they will feed on. Their favored host is tree of Heaven. That's an invasive tree that was purposely introduced into urban areas in the US and has a long history here. But we're really worried about the grape crops and vineyards as far as agriculture is concerned. And as you mentioned that honeydew that they create. When there are lots of these insects creating that in your landscaped areas like yards and parks, they can become a nuisance because that coats plants and other objects and also calls in wasps and yellow jackets and beads to feed on it.
Speaker 2: Oh great, great, So this is sort of similar to what it well, again, it's not identical, but kind of similar to what Canadian gieshu known for. They may be cute and the little goslings are cute, but it's what they leave behind was really bothers a lot, a lot of people. So I kind of think that that's the analogy we're trying to create here and using big, big, big words and people people get what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: I assume right, certainly their excrement in their waist is really amus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're doing.
Speaker 2: We're doing fine. We're doing fine. Okay, So, so what's the chance. By the way, what is a tree of heaven? I that that sounds pretty suspicious to me. You said they were the tree of Heaven's or the trees of Heaven. I think about oaks and elms and things like that, beach trees, birch trees. I've never heard of a tree of heaven. Where did where did they come from?
Speaker 4: So tree of heaven, it's Atlantis altissima is the scientific name. They're a rapidly growing tree that's native to China, and they.
Speaker 2: Into Chinese always has a role in this stuff, don't they.
Speaker 4: Certainly we do have some equal climate matching to places like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, wow wow. Okay, So, so those trees came here, no suggestion that they came here with the with some knowledge of the arrival of the spot at lant It just so happened that the trees came from and these spotted lantern flies, which were accidentally transported to here enjoy the trees of heaven.
Speaker 4: Certainly, yes, yeah, the two did not occur at the same time. Tree of Heaven was brought, probably in the late seventeen hundreds into the United States.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's far and if the trees of Heaven were brought brought here like three to five years before, I'd get my conspiracy sensitivities acting. Yeah, So how do we get rid of these folks? We're not looking to be abusive, but is there anything that can be done or at this point are they now you know native to Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and all the other states you mentioned.
Speaker 4: Well, for us in Massachusetts, it's really important that folks, if you see spotted lantern fly or any of its life stages, to take a photo and report it to our mass Department of Agricultural Resources. You can also reach out to you MASS Extension and we can assist you as well. If you do have a known infestation on your property or on a property that you manage and it's been identified and confirmed, there are management options out there. We suggest integrated pest management, so that we are taking steps that help reduce the insect population but while conserving human health and the health of the environment. And U MASS Extension can be there to answer those questions for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, I think that's really important. I know I've kind of kitted with you a little bit because although this is a serious story. It's something that you know, we will all survive the spot at lantern flies, I hope, absolutely so. And again with folks like yourself who are monitoring this, which we appreciate very much. Appreciate not only you joining me tonight, but also just you know, making this information available because when people see that they should they could find a picture of a spotted lantern fly, I assume on your website as well.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so. I'm with U Mass Extensions Landscape Nursery and Urban Forestry Program. So if you come to our website, we have information about the spotted lantern fly as well as many other insect pests of trees and shrubs, both native and introduced. And we've got photos of the eggs, the nymphs and the adults, and information as to where to report spotted lanternfly and your different types of management options.
Speaker 2: Okay, and again just give us that website one more time. Hopefully it's nice and simple for people to remember or write down.
Speaker 4: Okay, So we are at www dot UMass dot edu. It's not quite so simple. Backslash agriculture dash food, dash environment backslash landscape. So it's the U Mass Extensions Landscape Nursery and Urban Forestry program.
Speaker 2: If you google that, easy for you to say, Okay, thanks, yeah, hopefully they can find that. Tawny, thank you very much. I'm sure if they just google lantern Fly as well, there'll be that will probably work allow them to get to that website.
Speaker 4: Thank you so started lantern Fly and you mass Extension. Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Tan. You're very welcome. Tawny Siminski. Simiski who's an entomologist, which means she's a bug expert at UMass Amherst. Thanks again, Tawni, talk soon.
Speaker 4: Thank you, have a good night.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Thank you you as well. Have a great weekend. We have now the news coming at us at the bottom of the hour, and after that we talked about swimming early, we're going to talk about the boating season and then we're going to talk about Martha's Venues celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the movie Jaws, which is literally, I think was being shot on Martha's vinyard fifty years ago this week. So we got a couple of really interesting fun guests coming up before we get to our portion of our broadcast. After the nine o'clock News. By the way, remember you want to pull down if you haven't done it already, the iHeart the new and improved iHeart app. All you have to do is go to the app store, your Google App Store, wherever you get your apps, get that iHeart app. It's new and improved, pull it down, put it on whichever your phone you can, put it on your tablet, and you'll always be very in touch with w BZ. Make us your first preset, and it will always be just a finger tip away wherever you are in this big, wide, beautiful world. We'll back on Nightside right after the news a minute or two late. Apologize on that. We'll be back right after the news.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison. Let us now introduce you to David Condon. David is the director of Natural Resources for the Town of Yarmouth, and we're going to talk about the boating season. Of course, the boating season is well underway, particularly after the last couple of days of high heat, humidity and humidity that we have had. But there's a change coming not this year but next year, requiring people who are operating motorized boats to obtain in advanced certification before they can get behind the wheel in a motorized boat. Dave Condon, Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 5: How are you, sir, Yes, sir, good evening. Thank you for having me on. I really appreciate the call.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully as we'll get people some information that they can use and get ready ready for the next boating season. Again, I want to emphasize that these new regulations which have been signed into law do not apply this summer, but they will apply in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: Correct, That's correct. So anybody who was born after January first of nineteen eighty nine must have the course completed by April first of twenty twenty six. Now the rest of us born before eighty nine don't have to have the certificate completed until April first of twenty twenty eight. So a couple of different dates to keep in mind. And the state even built in a little bit of a grace period so there won't be any citations there anything written for the first you know, a little bit of time after the rollout. But either way, those are the two dates that people need to keep in mind.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's talk about currently there are no regulations, so it doesn't matter. There must be like a driver's license, you can operate a boat, a motorized vessel, I assume under a certain age. Or is there no such limitation of that either.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a couple of things on the books now, so anybody who has the driver's licenses is obviously covered, good to go for operating a boat. But here in that age from twelve to sixteen, there's currently a voting safety class and take allowing you to operate a motorized boat again at the age of twelve. The personal watercraft, the jets, those are a little bit different and you have to be you have to have the class. If you're seventeen, I'm sorry, sixteen or seventeen, you have to have the class for that as well. Currently. But again, that's going to roll out to everybody here shortly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I don't want to over confuse the situation, So let's come let's roll back to where we were. What was the need, what prompted the need for this legislation. I assumed that people have been operating motorized boats for a long time, perhaps even decades, without having had some sort of certification. Were there a couple of incidents or an incident that perhaps prompted this legislation.
Speaker 5: All right, well, there's certainly been plenty of incidents over the years. But the one that was kind of the crux of this whole thing that the act is called the Hanson Malone Act of twenty twenty four, and that was named for David Hanson, who was killed tragically in a voting accident back in twenty ten, and also named for the late Harvartmaster from Waymouth, Paul Malone, who was truly a champion for voting safety his entire career. You know, I knew Paul personally, and there wasn't a time he went to a meeting or an association event or something or other and he didn't talk about voting safety. And we should be pestering our legislative legislators, and we need to get out there and talk to the public. And he was truly a champion for voting safety. So the bill was named for those two. And you know, to be quite honest, I think it's kind of crazy it took as long as it did for Massachusetts to have some formal requirement for boat safety training. I mean, if you think about it, you can go just if you have the money, you can go in and buy a boat that might go sixty miles an hour and go out and operate. It was zero training. I mean, you couldn't do that with a car, so it seems crazy that for decades we were able to do that with a boat. So it's a long time coming. Matthias was one of the states that it was kind of late to the party, and I'm glad we're finally there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you anticipate my question, we are behind the curve. Why would that be? Who are the states that were leading the charge? Obviously we're not a around the year voting state like Florida, which states were at the head of this parade.
Speaker 5: As we tell we even New Hampshire has required a voting safety class for years right next door and they're voting. You know, season is potentially even shorter than ours. So, you know, I think it was a long time in the works. I think maybe, you know, Massachusetts wouldn't have been behind the curve. You know, it was not out of lack of effort. I mean, the Harvard master community, the police community, environmental police. So a starred has been pushing this for a long time. So it's not like this was an idea that was born yesterday. It's been a long time coming and just sort of you know, as things take shape and it takes time for it to come to fruition. And you know, we are a little bit behind the curve, but not for lack of trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also I must say that sometimes things up at the State House, even good proposals like this one and what I call them no brainers, they moved the pace of molasses up with our year round legislature. I becon ill.
Speaker 5: You know, that's just the nature of the beast. I think everybody understands that. And you know, like you said, even like this one it's a no brainer. It had a bunch of revisions, and it had you know, like any other bill would, and a lot of input from different parties, and you know, I think it might not be perfect, but it's certainly you know, step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: So for people who now want to get ahead of the curb, where do they have to go to get their certification in advance of next voting season twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: Well, so those of us that already took this Voting Safety course. Like again, I remember I took it when I was twelve, all those years ago, so even that would have me covered even though it was decades ago. So anybody who's already taken the class, they'll be covered already if they can produce their certificate or try and get a copy in the state. And then as far as anybody who wants to doing a role in the course now, I think that the best place to start is the state Environmental Police website and they offer their own class and they also have links to all the approved courses that are taught by third parties as well, so you can either take the course in person with the Environmental Police or another authorized vendor, or you can even do it online. So if it's something you want to just get done and have the certificate, you can just go online, spend a couple hours doing the course and print out the certificate.
Speaker 2: And is there a cost associated with this?
Speaker 5: There is. I don't know the cost for the third party vendors that you know you might do online, but the Environmental Police course is very reasonable. I think it's you know, just a few dollars just to cover the cost of printing the certificate. There's other organizations like the count of Yarmouth where I work. We plan on offering the course for free to anybody who wants to take it. And you know, we would just charge for the actual printing and the certificate, not for the actual course. So there's a lot of organizations. The Harbourmaster Associations are you know, full force behind this. And you know, even as a member of the association, we're talking about rolling out the course ourselves. Just whatever we can do to get more people to take it from and make it as easy as possible.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Dave, let me ask you this my last question you had the director of Natural Resources for the Town of Yarmouth. What general advice you're around the water. Obviously Yarmouth is on the cave twelve months out of the year. You know, the beauty of the water and also the danger of the water. What advice would you give to anyone who's going to even this year without the requirement of the certificate or certification. What advice would you give people if they're going to get out and in some way utilize.
Speaker 5: A boat whether Yeah, there's a couple of things that are very simple. Tell somebody where you're going, file a float plan, tell tell somebody who's not with you, where you're going, how long you're going to be gone, wear a life jacket, don't drink it or do any drugs, and operate the boat and you know those are the big ones. And then know your limits, you know, learn the boat that you're operating. Don't have that first time you use the boat the July fourth weekend, you know, take it out ahead of time. You know, get somebody to give you a hand and show you the ropes, and you know, just getting a little more sea time before you're taking out your family and racing around on a beautiful weekend.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Dave. I appreciate your time. I think you've been part of a lot of important information across New England and for that matter of points beyond. I appreciate as always talking with you. Thanks again, we'll see that in Yarmouth.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you for the call.
Speaker 2: Dave gone to the director of Natural Resources for the town of Yarmouth. We get back, We're going to take you out to Martha's vineyard and talk with Kathy Mayown. I hope I'm pronouncing her last name correctly. We'll find out she's the managing director of the Martha's Vineyard Museum. And it is the fiftieth anniversary year of the movie Jaws, So we're going to get also some information on that. And also if you want to take a ride over to Martha's Viney and and sort of enjoy the ambience of the fiftieth anniversary of Jaws, will get you that information as well. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone. I'd like to introduce all of you to Kathy Mayown. She's the managing director of the Martha's Vineyard Museum, celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the movie Jaws, one of the most iconic films in really movie history. Kathy Mayow and welcome to Nightside. How are you hi? Dan?
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: You do you get to live on that beautiful island off the southeast coast of Massachusetts.
Speaker 6: I do it. It is a wonderful place to live.
Speaker 2: All right. So, and you're the you're the managing director of Martha's v Museum. Before we talk about Jaws, let's talk about the Martha's Vineyard museum, which community is it located in, and what sort of wonders does it have Because a lot of my listeners will be spending some time, maybe not the entire summer, unless they're really lucky, sometime over in Marth's Vineyard. I assume that the Martha's Vineyard Museum should be a trip, should be a stop on most people's visit to the Vineyard.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, it's a great place to ground yourself in the island's history and in the islands culture. We are a history and a culture museum. We are based in Vineyard Haven. It's a ten minute walk from the vineyard Haven Ferry, so if you don't bring a car, you can just get off the ferry and walk over to us. We are based in the Marine hospe the old Marine Hospital, which was built in the late eighteen hundreds and so it's a beautiful old historic building. After it was the marine hospital, it was a summer camp for kids, and then the museum purchased it and really renovated it and preserved it, and we moved into it in twenty nineteen and have been in it ever since. We also still have our old property down in Edgartown. The cook House property. But this really is our main campus and there are exhibits that we have all the time. Our wonderful Frenelle Lens, which is an old lighthouse lens that came out of the Aquinna Lighthouse. The stories behind that lens, how we had to how the Aquinna Lighthouse had to be moved at one point in time because the cliffs were eroding. We have stories about the local island history, the people of the islands, shipwrecks. Have a great room for kids as well called hands on History, and we have a wonderful cafe and a wonderful view as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have been in the I have been in the Aquinna Lighthouse on several occasions, walking up to the top and it's a that's a sight to see in of itself. So how excited are all you vineyards about the return of Jaws Mania. I suspect that there's probably a bit of a split amongst people who are on the island. Uh, there's a There's there's an aspect of people over there who I think like to be associated with the movie, and there's there's another group who aren't particularly happy about that. Or have I read the island wrong?
Speaker 6: You know, I think most people are coming around. I think in general you're right, But I keep get hearing more and more excitement.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's so funny because I would talk to Jaws fans and they would know every single event that we're having on the island, and then I would talk to my local island and they wouldn't know of any of them. But slowly people are starting to hear of all of the different events that we're going to have on the island. Of course, we've had a lot of news and press about our exhibition, our Jaws at fifty A Deeper Dive at the museum. We just opened the exhibit Memorial Day weekend. I've had a lot of local press and now a lot of local Islanders coming in to see it. So people are now, I think, getting excited, and they're starting to hear just more and more. How the world is excited about this celebration.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you it's certainly an interesting time. So fifty years ago this week they were beginning to shoot the movie. As I understand, the coincidence of fifty years this week is not the opening of the movie. And if I'm wrong, please feel free to tell me.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, so yeah, So the opening of the movie was on June twentieth, nineteen seventy five. Gotcha, they were shooting the movie a year before. But the actual premiere and the premiere, there was a premiere on the island. In fact, in the museum's exhibit we have a couple of the old posters. It was to benefit the Martha's Vineyard Hospital. We had a lot of our local celebrities turn out for it. James Taylor and Carly Simon showed up, and we have pictures in our exhibits from that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, our book, our book Weld I assume must have been there as well.
Speaker 6: I'm assuming so, I you know, I haven't seen my picture.
Speaker 2: You know. I mean he was always around, that's for sure. So the point that, and again I thank you for the correction. So the movie, this was the This was the fiftieth anniversary of the movie. Yes, and it was obviously shot a year a year in advance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I get that.
Speaker 2: Over the years is this is this is one of those movies that everyone has seen. I mean, yes, I don't care who you are, everyone has seen it. Some of the great lines. We're going to need a bigger boat, all of that that we've watched over the years for a long time, there was there were remnants of the boat that was used. It was left on the other end of the island. If it wasn't in Aquinna, I'm blaming there Is that still there? Or has nature had its way?
Speaker 6: If you know from what I've heard, nature has had its way, and that you know, if you go to some of the site you may be able to find some sort of remnant. I don't know, but I think nature has had its way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I mean it's it's since it is the fiftieth anniversary this year, are any of the actors or actresses making return visits? Tell us about just the summer. Is this going to be noted here in June and then the town's going to the island's going to move on? Or are there some visit visits planned? Tell us flush it out for us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, there certainly are going to be activities going on all summer long, especially at the museum. Our exhibit is running through September seventh, and so we are expecting a steaighty steady steam stream. There's also the Shark is Broken is going to be coming and playing on the island in July. I have my tickets already for that. I'm excited about that. Our fourth of July parade is certainly going to have lots of voz steamed things in it as well, But certainly the big weekend is going to be the weekend of July twentieth, and so at the museum we have what we're calling from June nineteenth to the twenty third Amity home Coming weekend, and so we've really designed a weekend so that we could bring together the international Jaws community that's coming to the island with the local islanders and really have a homecoming of sorts. So we do have a number of speakers lined up. You were asking about actors. Jeffrey Kramer is coming to the island. He played Deputy Hendricks. He'll be doing a talk at the museum. Joe Alves, who was of course the production designer behind it, he's coming. He'll be doing a talk as well as many appearances throughout the island that weekend. We have a lot of other relatives and descendants from some of the actors, So you.
Speaker 2: Have a nephew of Robert Quinn, one of the great actors, also Wendy Benchley. Yeah, is there a relation there, I assume to. So.
Speaker 6: Wendy Benchley is the wife of Peter Benchley, who you know. Peter since passed on, But Wendy was also at our opening exhibition event. She always has a great draw and you know her her big focus. After Peter wrote the book and the movie came out, they were very distressed how shark's really shark hunting increased after that, and so they went on a big mission for shark conservation and that's also a focus in our exhibition. But Wendy will be doing a talk about shark conservation.
Speaker 2: Well, this is great, always so great to talk with you, Kathley. Kathy, and I wish you a wonderful summer on the island. I don't know if we're going to get over there this year, but we spent many summers over there, way out on Aquinna Okay, my favorite part of the island.
Speaker 6: Kathy, Yeah, come come visit us and look me up the them.
Speaker 2: I will the managing director of the Marthur's Vineyard Museum. Requisite required stop. I think for anyone who gets off the boat at Vineyard Haven, walk to the amp and take a left, and I think you'll be pretty close to where you want to be. Thanks so much, Wendy, thank you, thank you, thank you like to be Kathy. I'm sorry you I was thinking of Wendy Benchley. Thanks very much. Coming we'll talk saying okay, thanks. Here comes to nine o'clock News, and when we get back, we're going to go to the talk portion of our program beginning at nine o'clock. And there's a couple a couple of things I like to talk about. Certainly gonna want to talk about the Trump Musk divorce that I think is it's not final yet, but I think it's it's almost final.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I also want to talk about the indictment that came down today against the Maryland man who now has been returned to the United States, not probably under the circumstances that he or as lawyers had envisioned. My name, this is My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. Be right back right after the nine o'clock news.