Speaker 1: The word for pure in heart. Today is the word integrity. Integrity. Now, the Bible uses the word integrity a lot, but it actually even.
Speaker 2: Uses the word blameless. More.
Speaker 1: Now, what does it mean to have integrity? Because if God says I bless those who have integrity, what does it mean to have integrity?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: In Psalm chapter fifteen, the fifteenth Psalm, David gives us eight characteristics of what it means to walk or live with integrity. Let me read it to you, Lord, who may stand in your sanctuary and who may live on your holy mountain?
Speaker 2: And what's he talking about here?
Speaker 1: This is a metaphor, he said, God, who gets to be close to you? Here's the answer, the one who walks with integrity? Circle that walks with integrity. And then he gives us eight characteristics of a man who has integrity or a woman who has integrity. Here's what they are. Number one, he speaks the truth from his heart. You don't lie when you have integrity. He refuses to slander others with his tongue. He won't listen to gossip. Oh now we're meddling, says, if you listen, not not share it. But even if you just listen, to it, you've lost your integrity. He will not cast a slur on his fellow man. Instead, he honors those who fear the Lord, and he keeps his promises even when it hurts. He lends his money freely without charging interest. In other words, he's very, very generous. That's a mark of integrity, and he cannot be bribed by money. Whoever does these things, these things will never be shaken. You won't have security in your life. You want to get rid of all the insecurity in your life.
Speaker 2: Get into in your life.
Speaker 1: You want to have stability in your life, Get integered in your life. You want to have the confidence Tom was talking about. Then you've got to get integered in your life. When you lack integrity, you go through life insecure. The Bible says, the man of integrity walks securely. And the whole reason you don't have security, the whole reason you feel insecure so much time, is because you lack integrity, wholeness, authenticity, and an unmixed motivation. What I want to do now is give you a little checklist. It's a pretty quick checklist. It's not going to take a lot of time for me to explain it. In fact, I don't have to illustrate it, because once I say these things, you'll understand it. Integrity demands that every area of your life is treated with the same intensity that you say. I'm going to have the same commitment to excellence in my marriage as I have in my career. I'm gonna have the same commitment to excellence in my my ministry and in my parenting as I do in making money. I'm going to have as much commitment to the right motivation as I do and too doing the right thing. So let me just give you six of the common ways you can work on these this week from the Bible. Number one, you become a person of integrity by keeping your promises.
Speaker 2: By keeping your promises.
Speaker 1: People of integrity keep their word. If they say they'll do it, they'll do it. If they say they'll be there, they'll be there. They say you can count on it, you can count on it. People of integrity keep their promises. This is verbal integrity, and the Bible says in Proverbs twenty five, verse fourteen, people who promise things that they never give. He says, they're like clouds and wind that bring no rain. He said, they're worthless. There's been a hot bunch of hot air. This is vapor. There's nothing to them. They don't bring wind, they don't bring rain, they don't bring any benefit.
Speaker 2: They're just all smoking mirrors.
Speaker 1: So my question to you is this, what promises have you made that you have not kept? And you need to keep them? Before integrity saying, have you made some promises your kids? Broken promises are the number one cause of bitterness in children.
Speaker 2: The number one cause of bitterness.
Speaker 1: Broken promises that parents said, I set up, Mom, you said, Dad, you said, they break promise. Have you made a promise to your spouse about something you're going to change and you haven't done it?
Speaker 2: It's a broken promise.
Speaker 1: Have you made a promise to God, a spiritual promise, a vow and you haven't kept it? That is a lack of integrity. Now I know that what happens is we say, well, the circumstances have changed, doesn't matter. If you made a promise, you got to keep your word, even if it is not beneficial to you. Do you remember that Psalm fifteen we just read let me look at it again here on screen, So I'm fifteen verse four, God blesses the one who walks with integrity, who keeps his promises even when it hurts, even when it.
Speaker 2: Costs you more.
Speaker 1: And you thought I was gonna cost you, you keep your promise, I said, I sult to you for that. I'm gonna sell it to you for that, even though it's worth a whole lot more or whatever. You keep your promises even when it hurts. Number two, you become a person of integrity by paying your bills. Now you may not think this is a big deal, but it's a big deal to God. This is financial integrity. And the Bible says over and over and over and over again that the way you use your money is a test of your integrity. Do you spend more money than you make That is a lack of integrity. Do you get yourself in debt to things that you can't pay off, That is a lack of integrity. The Bible says, people of integrity pay their bills. It's like keeping your promises financially. Now, I'm not going to go into all the different ways, but let.
Speaker 2: Me just give you a couple. Here's a couple verses.
Speaker 1: First, you don't default on loans, and you pay off your credit card Psalm thirty seven to twenty one says the wicked man borrows and never pays back. And not only that, this one's really meddling. Some of these are going to get a little personal here. You don't defraud the government of taxes. The Bible says in Romans thirteen, verse six and seven, the authorities working are working for God. Pay what you owe them. Pay your personal and property taxes. You say, but Rick, the government is wasting my money. Of course, I know that, okay, and they don't. The government lacks integrity because they're spending far more than they take in. Okay, and they're doing deficit spending. But you don't get to do that if you have integrity. What they do with my taxes going to be accountable to God for But I am accountable to God to pay my taxes that do not cheat on them, because if I do, I lack integrity.
Speaker 2: The Bible says, to do that. Okay.
Speaker 1: Number three, you become a person of integrity by keeping your promises, paying your bills. And number three, this one's really meddling. By refusing to gossip. That's what the Bible says. This is relational integrity, and that is you don't talk one way with one group of people and then go talk about them behind their back. If you flatter somebody and you butter them up and you act like they're best friends, and then behind them you cut them off at the knees and you say one.
Speaker 2: Thing here and one thing there.
Speaker 1: And you gossip, the Bible says, you lack integrity.
Speaker 2: You don't have it, and you're.
Speaker 1: Not gonna have God's blessing on your life if you keep on gossiping like that. And the Bible says, if you listen to it, did you know that accepting stolen goods gets the same criminal indictment as stealing it, and so accepting gossip is the same thing as offering it up. It's a wrong thing. Every time you gossip, you lose integrity. Do you talk about other people behind their back? Can you keep a secret? The Bible says this in Proverbs eleven, verse thirteen. A gossip can't be trusted with a secret, But somewhat of integrity won't violate a confidence.
Speaker 2: You know what we need today?
Speaker 1: We need men and women of integrity who know how to keep a secret and not put it on Facebook or blab it on Twitter. Or pass it around on social media. You know, one of the rules of our small groups is what's said in the group stays in the group. Why because everybody needs a safe place of a few friends where you can be real and be yourself and have not other everybody go publish it about you. Real friends walk in to your life when everybody else walks out. And when you mess up and you really blow it, you need a few friends in your life. You don't rub it in, they rub it out. And that's the purpose of a small group, one of the purposes. And so what said in the group stays in the group. Can you keep a confidence? Or as soon as somebody says now, I've never told this to anybody, you immediately go tell somebody else. If you do, you lack integrity. The Bible says this there on the screen Proverbs ten eighteen. Anyone who spreads gossip, God says you're a fool. Anyone who spreads gossip is a fool. It's a foolish, destructive thing to do, all right. Number four, I'm just going through these pretty quickly. Integrity is developed by keeping your promises, paying your bills, refusing the gossip. Number four, by faithfully tithing. Did you know that the Bible says that tithing is a test of integrity. One of the ways God tests my integrity is through tithing. Do I trust Him with my finances? Do I put him first? Whatever? Wherever you put your money first is what's most important to you. Let me say it again, Wherever you put your money first is what's most important to you. And the Bible says that tithing is a test of integrity because Jesus said, wherever your heart is, wherever your treasure is, that's where your heart's going to be. So you can always know what's important people by looking at it and where they spend their money. And here's what God says about this Malachi chapter three.
Speaker 2: Is it right for a person to cheat God? Of course not. Yet.
Speaker 1: You are robbing me, says the Lord. How yes, you're spending my money by withholding your full tithe and offerings. Bring to me the full amount of your tithe to my house, me to the test, and you'll see that I will open the windows of heaven and pour out so much blessing on you that you won't even have enough room to receive it.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: This is a test, and this is a promise. It's the Pepsi challenge verse. Jesus God says, I dare you to trust me on this?
Speaker 2: How dare you to trust me?
Speaker 1: Do you have the integrity to put me first in your finances? Hi? Everybody, this is pastor Rick. Because of the Genders support of many of you Daily Hope listeners, we're able to offer daily Hope devotionals for free worldwide. In fact, today I have a note from Paul in Kenya that shows how God does at work through the Daily Hope devotionals. Paul wrote me. He said, I'd like to sincerely thank you with the free gift of your daily Hope devotionals. May God receive all the glory. For some time now, you're inspiring and encouraging messages, along with scripture references, have helped me push through some really tough times and get closer to God. However, Paul writes, the best part is that my faith in God has now grown to the point that He recently gave me the strength and wisdom to accept His free, undeserved gifts to grace and salvation. By accepting and confessing Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I feel like a new being, and I yearn to keep growing more and more in God's word and in wisdom, surrendering my life to His will alone. So please hold my hand in this journey to the glory and honor of God to Christ Jesus. Paul, without a doubt, I will hold your hand as you journey with Jesus. There is no greater decision that you could have made than believing and receiving Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: So can congratulations. You're my brother in Christ.
Speaker 1: And I want to encourage you to be on the lookout every day to see how God guides you, how God directs you. It's an exciting journey. And by the way, keep studying His word every day. Get a Bible and read it every day. I'm so thankful that Daily Hope devotional is helping you to do just that now. The Daily Hope Devotional is helping many, many people just like Paul, all around the world to grow closer to God.
Speaker 2: And it's free.
Speaker 1: If you're not getting it, I want to encourage you to go to Daily hopetv dot com and sign up today. You become a person of integrity, keeping your promises, paying your bills, refusing the gossip, faithfully tithing by doing.
Speaker 2: Your best at work.
Speaker 1: By doing your best at work, this is business integrity or vocational spiritual integrity. Tithing and relational integrity, not gossiping and financial integrity paying your bills. This is vocational integrity of having integrity where you work. Do you do your best at work? Are you to just slough off when the boss isn't watching? See, some people only work hard when the boss is around, when the supervisor's around, and the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the time they're goofing off.
Speaker 1: They're playing around, they're standing in the water coolor gossiping. They're playing solitaire on the computer or reading some online magazine. They're they're taking supplies home to their house, ripping off the office. They're you know, taking breaks, coming in late. As long as they're not being noticed. You may have never realized what a serious sin God considers it for you to give a full day's work when you're paid a full day's wage. You don't have the right to goof off. He said, Well, everybodybody else is slacking off. Nobody else works hard in my office. Well, so what, They're not a follower of Christ, and maybe they don't care about integrity. And maybe they don't care about leaving a legacy rewards fraternity and personal stability, but you do. And so whether they work hard and well or not is irrelevant. Let me show you some just a few verses about this.
Speaker 2: Here in the screen.
Speaker 1: Proverbs eighteen, verse nine says this, slack habits and sloppy work are as bad as vandalism.
Speaker 2: That's what God says about it.
Speaker 1: He says, you know, if you're just goofing off and you do poor work and you don't really that's good enough for this. You know, nobody's gonna even notice. He said, that's like vandalism. Let me show you in the Living Bible. The Bible says this, a lazy employee is as destructive as a saboteur.
Speaker 2: Oh, now we're really getting deep here.
Speaker 1: He's saying that if I am not given a full day work for a full day's wage, I may hate my job. It doesn't matter if I hate it or not. I am actually vandalizing and I'm sabotaging somebody else's business if I'm not giving it my best. If I don't give it my best, then I lack integrity. Let me show you a couple of The verses Ephesians six six says this, don't work hard only when your master, that's your supervisor, is watching. And then sure when he isn't looking, work hard and work with gladness, and that's enthusiasm all the time, even if you hate your job, as though working for Christ, doing the will of God with all your heart. It is God's will that you work hard and with gladness all the time, as if you are working for Christ. You see, if you're a believer, your boss is your boss. Your real boss is God. And whether anybody else sees it or not, you said, nobody's going to see whether I worked or not.
Speaker 2: God does and he's your boss.
Speaker 1: Your boss isn't watching you all the time, but God is watching you all the time. And this is a test, it's a test of integrity. And as God's will that I not waste the time and the money and the resources of the owner of the business or my employer.
Speaker 2: I'll show you another one.
Speaker 1: Colossums three twenty two says this, and don't just do the minimum that will get you by, do your best. That's integrity. Are you doing your best at work? If not, you need to change. You need to what's called repent. I need to not just do the minimum. I need to give it my best shot, do your best. In fact, the next verse Colossums three twenty three, it's on your outline says this, work hard and cheerfully is whatever you do as though you're working for the Lord rather than people. That is a mark of integrity. What kind of witness would we have in the world if we were all like that? Let me give you one more, anyone, you become a person of integrity by being real with others. You become a person of integrity by being real with others. You don't fake it. You are yourself. You don't pretend. It's what we were talking about earlier. You're authentic, you're genuine. You're not a hoop of crete dose. You don't wear a mask and talk a certain way with this group and then go over here and wear another mask and act a certain way with this group. And you don't act one way in church and one way at work, and then another way in the golf course or when you're playing shooting some hoops or whatever. No, you're always the same. You're not perfect, you're not sinless. It's not that you don't make mistakes. You do make mistakes, but your heart's in the right direction, and you are real with other people. You're not a phony, not a fake. You're not trying to be something that you're not really. Two Corinthians four to two says this. We refuse to wear masks, we refuse to play games. We don't maneuver and manipulate behind the scenes, and we don't twist God's word to suit ourselves. In other words, we say, well, I think this means this when we just don't like what it says. Rather, we keep everything we do and say out in the open. Your life is an open book. You're authentic. What you see is what you get. You are not a phony, You're not a fake. You're into integrity, not into image. How in the world do you keep it real? There's only one way. It's only one way. You got to care more about God's approval than the approval of other people. That's the only way you'll ever become a man of integrity. That's the only way you'll ever come become a woman of integrity, because if you care about what God thinks, then you're going to do the right thing. If you care about what other people think you're going to typically often do the wrong thing because what God thinks is sometimes I'm popular, sometimes it's difficult.
Speaker 2: The only way you.
Speaker 1: Can maintain integrity is to care more about God's approval, well done, good and faithful servant than to care about the approval of other people. Psalone nineteen nine says this, how can I keep my way? Pure? Blessed are the pure in heart? They get to see God? How can I keep? How do I live a life of integrity? By living according to your word? You must stay in this book. And if you don't stand in this book, you will not have the strength and the stamina to live with integrity. Now, this is why, friends, we need a savior. Okay, what we just talked about today, this is why you need a savior. This is why we need the cross. This is why we need grace. This is why we need forgiveness. Why because none of us measure up, none of us are perfect. The Bible says, there's not a just man on the earth who always does.
Speaker 2: What is right and never does what is wrong.
Speaker 1: The Bible says, we have all sinned, and we have all fallen short. So each of us have our own unique falling shorts. You have your falling shorts, and I have my falling shorts. But thank God he forgives all our falling shorts, all of sin and fallen short of the glory of God. This is why you need grace, You need a savior, because there's no way I can measure up to God's perfection. There's no way you can't either. God doesn't expect you to be perfect. He does expect you to have integrity, which means you own up.
Speaker 2: And the starting point to be a man of.
Speaker 1: God or a woman of God is to say, I admit it, I just don't have integrity in some of these areas.
Speaker 2: What really matters is the direction of your heart.
Speaker 1: When you come to God and say, God, this is my heart and I really want it to be in this direction, then God could say about you like he did about David. Remember the guy who committed adultery and murder. There's a guy after my own heart. He looked past all the mistakes that had been made, and he looked at the direction of David's sarpsis the guy's got a good heart. He's going in the right direction. He wants to do the right thing, and that comes from the power and the grace of God. Let's power heads. I'm going to pray a prayer and you can just follow me in it. Make it your prayer. To God, to Jesus Christ, I thank you that you were sinless, you never sinned, You were the ultimate example of integrity, and so you could pay the price for all my sins.
Speaker 2: Thank you for dying on the cross for me.
Speaker 1: Just say that in your mind, thank you for dying on the cross, for paying all my sins. There is no way God that I could measure up to your standard of perfection. And that's why I need your grace, and that's why I need your forgiveness, and that's why I need your salvation. And Jesus, thank you for loving me enough to pay for all my sins. The confession of bad works is the beginning of good work. So why don't you just have a little confession time with God? Why don't you say, God, I admit that I don't always keep my promises, but I want to. And God, I admit that I've spent more money than I make, and I've got myself really deeply in debt and I haven't paid off all my debts. But I want to, and I ask you to help me stop spending more than I make so I can start paying off my debts and be a person of integrity. And God, I admit that I have gossiped, I have shared secrets, I've listened to gossip. I've slandered other people, and I'm sorry. I don't want to be that way. And God, I haven't put you first in my money. I've paid everything except my tithe. I put you in last place, not first. As an act of integrity, I'm going to start tithing. And God, I admit that I don't always do my best, and I don't always work hard cheerfully. A lot of times I just slack off because I don't really like my job.
Speaker 2: Some days.
Speaker 1: Help me to remember that whether anybody else notices what I.
Speaker 2: Do, you notice.
Speaker 1: Help me to do my work with excellence, with quality, and with integrity, knowing that I'm working for you as my real boss. And God, I need you to give me the courage to be real with other people. I'm tired of wearing masks. I'm tired of playing games. I'm tired of maneuvering and manipulating behind the scenes. I want to live my life as an open book, not perfect, not sinless, but authentic and whole. I want today, Jesus Christ, to commit to becoming a man or a woman of integrity. I want a pure heart that you can bless. Help me to stand the word every day, that it is your word that keeps me pure. If you've never invited Jesus Christ to forgive all your sins and to be the savior in the Lord of your life, say Jesus Christ. I don't understand it all, but I want to thank you for dying for my sins. And I ask you to become the leader, the Lord, the manager, the boss of my life.
Speaker 2: And I want your purpose and peace and plan and power. And I humbly ask this in your name. Amen.