Speaker 1: We've traveled through gravity falls.
Speaker 2: Journeyed into the unknown, and.
Speaker 3: Now we need a vacation.
Speaker 1: Join us as we travel to Beach City for rejumbering and all new Stephen Universe. Rewatch podcast exclusively on our Patreon.
Speaker 4: Every month, hear us, hang out and discuss two episodes of Stephen Universe at patreon dot com slash mystery Shack for as little as three dollars a month. Support us at the ten dollars tier, and you can sit in on our recording sessions on our discord.
Speaker 2: I'm just happy we get to sit back and relax. Nothing weird ever happens in Beach City, right, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so.
Speaker 4: Well, Yeah, that sounds accurate.
Speaker 5: Sign up at patreon dot com slash mystery Shack.
Speaker 2: Exclamation bar.
Speaker 3: Do a take without that because it is at url.
Speaker 5: Okay, sign up at patreon dot com slash mystery Shack. This plea is remember ring we just rewatched the show and tell your little things.
Speaker 1: We think that you should know.
Speaker 2: We did a couple of shows as well.
Speaker 5: Here's your hosts, Charlie Shelby, and.
Speaker 2: We have a Google doc.
Speaker 3: No, we're waiting.
Speaker 2: We're waiting.
Speaker 1: Where we're going? We don't need Google docs. We never we never said, we never said we were Steven Universe.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, Google doc, Google, It's okay, Google Money.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it, Google.
Speaker 4: Money, like nothing has changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, I'll start us off though.
Speaker 4: Uh. Welcome to Remembering Steven Universe rewatch podcast. We are your curators.
Speaker 1: I am Charlie, I am Shelby, I'm Ella, and I think we need to clarify the pronunciation of this podcast title being I think we need to put way more goofy emphasis on the stupid pun. Welcome to Regembering.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Sorry, this is the.
Speaker 2: First time I ever heard the name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've tried to come up with a better one and then did it. So this is what we got.
Speaker 1: Something like Poucci but.
Speaker 4: Like regemer Ring, but better sobering.
Speaker 3: Good with you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, trying to see if there was like a better pun while I was driving anything.
Speaker 3: If there was, Ella and I would have found it.
Speaker 4: So we covered all of gravity falls if I'm remembering correct remembering correctly.
Speaker 1: Excuse I do think you garden wall recall correctly, because yeah, we did.
Speaker 4: Cover all over the garden wall next right.
Speaker 1: Yes, after after gravity falls, so.
Speaker 4: We got falls and over.
Speaker 3: It feels like.
Speaker 1: We just need someone to follow over.
Speaker 4: Who will?
Speaker 3: It's a table.
Speaker 1: Step we got a table.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So these were kind of the big three on Tumblr in twenty fourteen. And yeah, they joked it should be the next Super who Lock or Rise of the Brave, Rise of the Brave What was the word I'm missing?
Speaker 1: The Tangled Dragons?
Speaker 3: Yes, Rise of the Braive Tangled.
Speaker 4: Oh I thought it was Brave Tangled Guardian.
Speaker 1: Well, no, Guardians is covered by Rise.
Speaker 3: Rise of the Brave Tangled Dragons.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, so, uh, Stephen and Stephen falls Over refers to the twelve.
Speaker 1: Step Stephen falls Over fame.
Speaker 4: Of course, Stevens Falls Over fame first to the twenty.
Speaker 1: Thirty twenty thirteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, animated television series Steven Universe, created by Rebecca Sugar. Yeah, who did a lot of songs and boards and such for Adventure Time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and a lot of underground comics for before that, indie comics.
Speaker 4: Underground is what the un SU stands for for for so long, for me, su meant sonic underground. And yeah, yes, one day in twenty fourteen it changed, Yeah for the better, I would say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Julia White is an in steam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's over to time.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, uh whish did I do that?
Speaker 2: I mean that's literally the plot of the episode.
Speaker 1: So yeah, most episodes.
Speaker 4: So when did you guys first start watching this show? What was the push that got you?
Speaker 3: Did you? Were you there day one or yes?
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: Actually I was there before day one because I saw in front of the TV for hours.
Speaker 2: Weeks even.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean I probably was, But I also saw the pilot, uh online before the show itself was released, before the new designs even for the show were released, because they were tweaked from the pilot and everyone hated it for some reason because it was different, of course, But I remember thinking, oh, this has, you know, potential to be a very interesting show, and it turns out it was. It's one of my favorites. It's probably I always go back and forth on whether I like this more than gravity Falls. I think it's it covers like a broader like depth of just things than gravity falls. But it's also much longer than gravity falls, so it is of course coming to and it's influence. Yeah, that's true. It's influenced me as a person, arguably more than gravity falls or maybe just in different ways. But uh, Gravity Falls I think is probably objectively the show I think is better. But they're they're the big two of like animation, especially particularly you know, this modern era of animation, but also maybe just television overall. Yeah, they're, they're, they're's.
Speaker 4: A good time to be Jackie Buscarina, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 4: Sure was except she well, the voice of Pacifica in Gravity Falls, is the line producer on Steven Universe, which basically means she writes the schedules, which is how an entire show happens.
Speaker 1: But don't worry, she also gets to be in a voice booth in this show eventually.
Speaker 3: Well spoilers, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, what is our spoiler put? Do we want to do the same policy?
Speaker 3: I say we go no spoilers?
Speaker 1: Correct? Yeah, I mean it wouldn't be that difficult to do no.
Speaker 4: So, Shelby, when did you first start watching Steven Universe?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 5: I remember, I love Adventure Time. That's one of my favorite shows of just like all time, and it was my huge hyperfixation when I.
Speaker 2: Was in college.
Speaker 1: All Adventure Time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of all Adventure Time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I remember I learned ukulele and so I was learning songs from Adventure Time in my Little Pony and I posted some like YouTube videos and Rebecca Sugar liked my I Think on a Tropical Island cover and somebody commented, oh my god, oh Rebecca Sugar liked this, and I had no idea who she was. I didn't know she wrote who. I didn't know she wrote the songs that I like. And so then in the comics.
Speaker 1: You were in the Yesterday verse of Rebecca Sugar. You went to the Yesterday universe of Rebecca Sugar. You're like, who's Rebecca Sugar?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then somebody mentioned her and mentioned how they were excited about her new show, and I was like, oh, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I like the music and Adventure Time. I'll watch her show, and so I think I was there.
Speaker 1: You're like, I just found out about this person and apparently I love her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. That was the journey. And then like after that, I was just like, she's just pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Like the fact that she's going online and liking random covers of Adventure Time songs is rad to me?
Speaker 2: Does she just gonna say?
Speaker 5: When I watched it, I fell in love the second I heard the music, Like the music is what probably the.
Speaker 1: Music which would have been the first second of the show.
Speaker 5: In fact, yeah, like the first second, the theme song. I was like, Okay, I'm in on this show. It's like cotton candy.
Speaker 1: It's so sweet, so garn it's like we and you're like soul.
Speaker 2: Yeah pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool. Uh, now's my turn, I guess.
Speaker 4: So the day the show aired, I was at Ramapo College of New Jersey, a college I had recently at that point dropped out of, and someone messaged me on Discord and is like, are you gonna watch Steven Universe? It's by the person who wrote all these episodes of Adventure Time. I had never seen Adventure Time. I was visiting Ray that day. We weren't gonna sit down at the TV anyway, so I was like, uh, nope, probably not gonna watch it. But at a certain point it became completely intertwined with the gravity Falls Foundom, which I had gotten pretty steeped into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we've done our symbiosis.
Speaker 1: It was this post March twenty fifteen, I guess, because that's Peaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, it definitely was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a season two was already airing when I watched it, and Ray sold me on it because she had been catching up with it and said that Stephen reminded her of me, and Greg reminded her of my dad. Yes, and I was like, well, okay, then, yeah, I'll watch it. And it's very so I'm a big Nintendo kid. The music, to me, the music sounds like Animal Crossing, but a lot of the comments on clips of it on YouTube mentioned Pokemon, Mystery Dungeon Avy and what are their names? A. Yeah, they do a lot of chiptune stuff, including using actual game boys in their music.
Speaker 1: And the I mean, the answer is it's all of both, right, It's Animal Crossing and Pokemon and you know.
Speaker 4: And the color palette is influenced by Yoshi's Island, which is a very cotton candy looking game, and the architecture that we'll see in later episodes is very Zelda influenced.
Speaker 1: And you can say that about the music as well.
Speaker 3: A zelday smell a little bit.
Speaker 4: But uh yeah, so I I uh, I am so excited to rewatch this. I haven't I haven't revisited season one, but I remember being so hooked. We Ray and I were watching it together and we would finish an episode to be like Max spot back Slot Max.
Speaker 1: Still. Yeah, and I know, I remember, we remember we talked about so essentially the show. You know, this isn't spoilers. This is just premise, the centering around Stephen, who is a half human but also half Gem, which are these magical women who are colorful and powerful and weird in all their own ways.
Speaker 3: And uh, I love how.
Speaker 4: It kind of brings us in in media res as we'll see where it's just like exactly even lives with these magical beings, have fun, and it's like, what's going on? And I'm like, ah, there's more episodes. You'll have to find out in those.
Speaker 1: But that duality of of that human world, because he lives in this beachside tourist town that was just this algam of Ocean City and Rehoboth Beach and all these East Coast tourist spots, so he lives there, but then there's also all these magical Gem adventures. And I think that dichotomy is something you and I have talked about, Charlie. Where As it moves on and you know, gets more involved in this Gem stuff, as Stephen discovers his powers and his own gem that he has that a lot of the show moves away from from the beach town stuff, and I think that that's kind of what you that was, No, that.
Speaker 4: Was the draw for me.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have obviously am from New Jersey.
Speaker 4: I grew up in East Coast tourist trap boardwalk towns and uh, I think.
Speaker 1: Could say you were tourist trapped.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the sorry gem glow, I'm gem glowed. The aesthetics of Beach City and the the season one feel very video gamey, very nintendoly to me, and the aesthetics of when they kind of explore more of that world feel more anime influenced than the Beach City stuff does.
Speaker 1: And again it's always it's been both kind of baked in from the beginning, but you're right in that one, there's an overtone of one more so than the other at the beginning and then they kind of switch.
Speaker 4: And season one, when in the episodes that just deal with here is what is going on with the people in the town, reminds me specifically of Majora's Mask, where there are only four dungeons Majora's Mask, there's like ten in Zelda games usually, and that's because so much of the game is just interacting, helping the townspeople.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have a lot to say about Majora's mask in the episode after this one.
Speaker 4: But right, you're talking, of course of Pearl's weird shaped head in the next Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now it crashes into the It kills everyone when it crashes into the plant.
Speaker 4: Oh, when was I remember another question I wanted to ask? So we're going to be watching season one episode one, gem Glow if you want to just rattle off some info about it.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh you mean season one episode one, gem Glow the first episode in the first season of Stephen Universe, and you're never going to believe this overall in the series. It's the first episode. It aired on November fourth, twenty thirteen, and was written in storyboarded by Joe Johnston and Jeff lou So this is a different type of show than Gravity Falls. Gravity Falls was a script driven show, but like I believe, Over the Garden Wall was this way too. And Steven Universe are both board driven, which means that the people who.
Speaker 4: Draw Except the sitcom episode Over the Garden Wall we talked about that was the only script driven.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's right, that's right. But otherwise, and for this show, the people who draw out the storyboards are also the writers. They aren't the soul writers. Like there are outlines given, like there is a story team, but as far as the actual individual dialogue and gags, those are written and drawn sort of in tandem, which I think works really well for the show.
Speaker 2: It's so sweet and simple.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Oh I was. I also will say that board driven, you know, Gravity Hall's being a twenty two minute show is kind of almost inevitably going to be script driven, I feel like, because it's so much longer, whereas an eleven minute show like Steven Universe or The Garden Wall can easily be word driven.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask, when did you last watch gem Glow?
Speaker 1: How long has it been? It would have been maybe a month, because I've been showing my girlfriend Steven Universe and we are on, Yeah, we're we're on. We're like midway through season two right now, So so you're.
Speaker 4: You're a little more prepared. I mean, I'm, I'm I I always.
Speaker 1: I also like periodically just Watchisah. I'm you know, an active fan of the show, so.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've watched it with the audio on Yeah, since I first watched the show.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yes, we did Stephen Universe real time fan dubs that are still on YouTube. You can check them out. All three of us are in them. I will always remember that gem Glow was when I established that anytime we do the first episode of a series, someone has to say, ah, summer break time for Lisia.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, I have not watched it since I first watched through the show, I have not gone back and revisited this episode Shelby.
Speaker 5: I believe twenty twenty one. I was trying to show my ex the show. Turns out he doesn't like Steven Universe. Red flag, huge, red flag.
Speaker 3: Wait, I don't. I mean I like season one.
Speaker 4: I think for a lot of the show, I would just like rush to keep up so I didn't get spoilers when I did Steven Universe content. You know, I'd be like, oh, I'm putting out a video with Steven Universe edit. I should catch up with the show, and i'd watch like twenty episodes in.
Speaker 1: A set obligation rather than Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, I think I think sitting here with you guys, episode by episode, I'm gonna gain a further appreciation for the later season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. I never thought about it that way, but yeah, but I don't know how someone could see the like the things that go on in this episode not even crack a smile, red flag Shelby red.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was just like, this show is so sweet.
Speaker 5: I was like, you just gotta get through season one and then you're gonna love it. But he wouldn't sit through season one and I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's I think that's something that will come up later in this podcast. But I think there people will put forth the argument of I mean, the term filler gets tough. We've talked about this with Gravity Falls as well. Obviously, the term filler gets tossed around and has completely lost its meaning. And imagine like trying to sell someone on a show and be like, yeah, you just have to skip like the entire first chunk of it and then it's good. Does that sound like a good show if you have to skip?
Speaker 4: I mean that's that is every you've just described every sitcom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have a bleak asking me, is there anything that we can skip? And I was like looking at the episode order, and I was like no, because something is introduced in every single episode, so you really can't skip the first season.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. There is no filler.
Speaker 4: Yeah well yeah, then this will be a more positive crowd to relive the.
Speaker 1: Magic Disney and you ste you.
Speaker 3: Or to regem.
Speaker 4: But I'm trying to put the emphasis as silly as you wanted. Ella was that good?
Speaker 1: Or gem Demiser and It's infinite wisdom has chosen for us?
Speaker 3: All right? They were seized? Uh? Anything left to say before we gem Glow.
Speaker 2: Now, Let's gem go.
Speaker 1: Let's Super Gem Hyper Team gem Force Glow.
Speaker 4: Hey, garn it. What's your favorite video game system?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Good, me too? Honestly, I mean the switch is fun and all but.
Speaker 2: Times, the Crystal Gems have been the guardians of humanity.
Speaker 5: Today only three remains.
Speaker 1: We've garnet.
Speaker 5: Let's do it, guys, hold on tight.
Speaker 3: But now a new hero of unknown power has emerged.
Speaker 5: To join the Jets.
Speaker 1: And big hero's name is Stephen.
Speaker 2: Anyone want a wedding?
Speaker 5: Stephen Universe a new series coming in November only on Cartoon Network.
Speaker 1: That was a silly episode full of jokes for kids. Well, isn't it?
Speaker 3: I love that episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's such a good introduction to the characters in the world, and.
Speaker 1: Especially the dynamics of the Gems and Stephen, I think in particular, and.
Speaker 4: The dynamics of the doughnut store employees also true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all the Gems. I think what really comes through in this episode is that all the Gems are at least initially written based on Rebecca Sugars, the different ways she would interact with her own younger brother, Stephen, who also worked on the show as background. Yeah, so you know, sometimes she would be sort of just wise and more stoic like Garnet. Sometimes she would be you know, completely fret and about every detail like Pearl, and sometimes she'd be just totally fun and laid back like Amethyst. And I think all of those personalities come through when they're trying to show Stephen how they respectively summon their gem weapons.
Speaker 5: Say, also seeing the way they interact with the centipedals, every like everybody's different reactions to it, including Steven, says so much about.
Speaker 4: Their character, like Pearl casually snapping once yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I I that one always like unnerves me, But I didn't notice until this watch of Garnet, like ripping one in a half and you see like the bone mark that like they have in cartoons, Like, what did you say they were designed after those centipedal.
Speaker 4: They're almost certainly designed after mag tales from legend is Alda the Windwaker, which is enemy in the fire levels, and it's a centipede with one big glowing eye between its pincers.
Speaker 1: E've all looks like a pokey? What's it?
Speaker 2: Kind of yes, yeah, it kind of look like a pokey. What's it?
Speaker 3: His episode is gorgeous speaking of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I want to live there. I want to live in the in these back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good job, Steve, real Steven, I mean.
Speaker 1: And whereas with over the Garden Wall is like, oh that's really beautiful. I never want to find myself there. That Stephen universe is like I want to go there this summer.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: So as I was talking about the a lot of influence from Nioshi's Island's pastel palettes. It's just I don't know, the color theory on display is just makes me feel kinds of feel things about stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like it puts you in the mindset of Stephen too, like these are the colors that he sees.
Speaker 2: And this is the way he feels. So it's like it brings you to a softer mindset, which.
Speaker 1: Is important, which is important because it's media res.
Speaker 4: And we talked about the in media res thing. Stephen is worried about summoning his weapon because he's something called a crystal jeb and they just that's it seems.
Speaker 2: Like that's the extent and no other explanation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it seems like that's what the extent of what Stephen knows as well. This is very firmly in Stephen's perspective and they almost never break that. And you know, he he knows that his this is what his family does, and he wants to do it too, and you know, all else is just he wants to know how to get there.
Speaker 4: And when they fight monsters, they turn into little poke balls that they can bubble and make go away. It's another thing we know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a donut story.
Speaker 2: Donut we meet.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised that the second character at second and third character we meet our our Sadie and Lars of the Big If.
Speaker 1: That's because Lars and Sadie were conceived for a separate like comic VI Rebecca Sugar or Yeah, the characters. She had worked with prior.
Speaker 4: And Sadie is is based in her uh at the time that she wrote those so like in her early twenties.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, and Lars is based on the worst person you know.
Speaker 3: Well not quite yet. He's tolerable here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I love He's just he's just kind of grubby because his dumpster keeps getting whipped into Yeah.
Speaker 1: Over and over again.
Speaker 4: Somehow can we talk about how stacked this cast is?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's insane.
Speaker 5: Like the second person we meet is Kate mccouchee like Kim.
Speaker 3: Mccut she's there.
Speaker 4: Zach Callison, who voices Stephen Child actor did a lot of voice acting.
Speaker 2: Uh was in Sophia.
Speaker 3: The first wasn't Sophia.
Speaker 4: The first was in a stray episode of Scooby Doo Mystery.
Speaker 1: Incorporation Mister Peabody and Sherman as King Tutt what apparently why not?
Speaker 4: And uh Deede Magna Hall who voices Pearl was a touring nessa rose at.
Speaker 2: Some former played Kim and Miss Saigon.
Speaker 4: Yep uh and amethysts Ye Mikayla Dats, who at this point was probably best known for Barney.
Speaker 1: But uh baby Bop on Barney I believe, yep.
Speaker 4: But she does voice some background characters in uh Grand Theft, Thought of five with yeah voice.
Speaker 1: So your drive around Athysts, Yeah is going.
Speaker 3: She's got the perfect voice for.
Speaker 1: Off we fat to be swinging in around like that.
Speaker 4: She's got the perfect voice for both that type of character and you know, the the character they come up with with Amethysts with the rap beat.
Speaker 1: I mean she she has the kind of she has the tone of voice that's the quintessential grown woman voicing young boy thing, which she does on the Ghost and Molly McGee yes. And then of course and any any any voice roll that Aquafina has done, she could have done it would have done it better.
Speaker 3: And then of course I don't know how they got a Stell.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't either, because the crazy thing is they got her like since the pilot. They had her before this was a show.
Speaker 4: I know Rebecca Sugar did some album art for a Stelle, but that doesn't like grant you access to a person forever.
Speaker 1: I mean apart access to their voice, at least like Ursula style.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, Estelle.
Speaker 4: Probably best known in a marria as the singer.
Speaker 3: Of American American Boy.
Speaker 1: But which was a which was a song that she did solo. There's no one else on that track.
Speaker 4: It is crazy, but she's I think at this point was like at the height of her career. She was I think I think it's a slightly bigger pop star in the UK than she is in the US.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, certainly, yeah, but I mean you don't just I know this chronologically. This is very down the line, but it's not a spoiler to say that there was. I think someone on her Instagram story was like, do the Garnet voice, and she just posted, that's what the cartoon is for, which is very in line with both her and Garnet's personality. I think I think it's really.
Speaker 4: Just kind of her voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it helps that she's not she's just, out of all of them, the one who's not like an experienced actor slash voice actor, because Garnet is fairly monotone and fairly stoic, and that's yeah, her character.
Speaker 5: It gives some of the best line deliveries the fact that she's not so I like I.
Speaker 4: Exactly because this is someone who has never done like voice acting, maybe never done acting.
Speaker 3: They write her.
Speaker 4: With these very deadpan monotone lines and she nails them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Fascinating because the last time I had watched this show was probably I rewatched the movie at some point and she, like, as if you're doing anything regularly, gets really really good at voice acting. Not to say she's bad here, but they're playing with the roughness of her voice act.
Speaker 2: That's part of the texture of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're pretty sure her first project, or at least her first major acting project.
Speaker 3: And then we get a little song too. We'll get two songs, counting the theme song.
Speaker 1: Two songs. We get the theme song with the same chord progression as Creep by Radioheads.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I could see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, m m. And then we also get cookie Cat, which is a little rap that Stephen performs about the snack itself, the ice cream sandwich that he loves, which is discontinued.
Speaker 3: He's probably singing a jingle, right.
Speaker 1: I mean it is. It's a commercial jingle, because at the end we talked about.
Speaker 4: Ever actually see the original jingle, we just see Stephen wrapping it, which is like my experience of being whatever age is supposed to be just going around singing songs I heard in.
Speaker 2: Commercials that arm or hot a structured settlement.
Speaker 1: Stephen goes around like eight hundred five eight two three hundred m pop today today.
Speaker 4: But it's also, like we talked about the game Boy instruments, they're very prevalent in the Cookie Cat instrumental.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is something that you don't necessarily notice in the sound mix of the episode, but the sound mix of the song on the soundtrack, when he gets to the chorus in the background, you're here, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now he is. He is super duper yummy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I hope so because Stephen had the last cookie cats like on Earth, I guess, well.
Speaker 2: Now available nowhere.
Speaker 3: Not at Gerkins. They just sell pickles.
Speaker 1: Now, man Yeah, hence the name.
Speaker 4: We call my cat manic cookie Cat sometimes because she loves cookies, which Mia tells me is not a normal cat thing. The first time, I was eating some peanut butter cookies I made, and Manik was like, let me see what you're you're eating.
Speaker 3: Let me look at what you're doing. So I held it up for her to sniff it, and then.
Speaker 4: She ate it and it was like freaking cat like what it wasn't apparently just a one time thing. Apparently anytime I offer her a cookie obviously eddie that doesn't have chocolate in it, she will eat it. So we we call her cookie Cat because she's she's our little cookie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tastes sugar. What what is she getting from this experience?
Speaker 5: The appeal and flower, just the texture she likes, the reaction.
Speaker 1: Maybe she's just doing it at the death now.
Speaker 4: No, because when I'm eating cookies and she's not in the room, she'll be.
Speaker 1: Like please Yeah. What other any other thoughts on on on gem Glow. I mean it's you know, it's a fairly straightforward introduction, but it's really effective.
Speaker 3: I thought it was straightforward but effective.
Speaker 2: I mean, like it's the best actually pretty gay. We don't get to see the well.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's about a guy with three moms.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's about a guy with three moms who discovers that his color motif is pink. He discovers he has a defensive power, which again from the beginning, is something that they wanted to achieve with this show was a different model of masculinity in that Stephen idolizes these these three strong women mother slash sister figures, and he himself has a more defensive power.
Speaker 3: And yet all out war will break loose.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've never thought of Stephen as a gender.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, I wouldn't have known this when I started watching the show, but that was probably obviously another thing that appealed to me about about the show and the character.
Speaker 1: Right, the gender of it all, I mean, the I It's something that I kind of knew but didn't know the extent of why it appealed to me. But you know, Stephen's clearly a fan of Pink Salmon obviously, Samon, do you want to know?
Speaker 5: I think that's a it's a pretty perfect first episode of the show.
Speaker 3: But what about the second episode?
Speaker 4: Ella?
Speaker 3: Who has the wiki pulled off?
Speaker 1: You mean the second episode being Laser Light Cannon, the second episode of the first season A Stephen Universe that aired on November fourth, twenty thirteen, which happens to be the same day that the first episode aired, And it was written in I know who. This definitely wasn't planned by anyone. It was written and storyboarded by Kat Morris and one Rebecca Sugar.
Speaker 3: These people have lovely names, that's true, they do. What was the what was the Jeff lou was on the last one Jeff Lou.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kat Morris, Jeff Lou, Like they could be Joe Johnston.
Speaker 1: Joe Joe Johnston is just a classic Sunday like that sounds like like a Marvel Comics name. Yeah, yeah, all Joe Johnson.
Speaker 3: These these names could all be characters in this show. Honestly, mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: Speaking of this show, Uh, garn it, are you having fun on this slide?
Speaker 2: What you're saying? Yes?
Speaker 3: And french Gard it going down the slide. We don't worry.
Speaker 4: Come on, let's put on your CD.
Speaker 3: Really, come on, you've heard it.
Speaker 1: You come on.
Speaker 3: I know I'm not that tall. I know I'm not that smart, but let me let me drive.
Speaker 4: Your I know i'm not that rich.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get my start, so let me drive my van into your card.
Speaker 4: Let me drive my van into your card and if we look out of place, well baby, that's so okay, I'll drive us into outer space.
Speaker 2: T me again. I think I'm cracking it.
Speaker 3: I know I'm spaticy.
Speaker 5: She really had it.
Speaker 2: Your stay.
Speaker 3: Glad Ladd drawn my man into you.
Speaker 2: We have to use it now.
Speaker 3: Boo doo, scubi.
Speaker 1: Dude, I never noticed that Jackie is the I mean as she should be. I never noticed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jackie kind of downplays her influence on Steven Universe.
Speaker 3: She's like, I'm just the line producer and.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't get made without you, your.
Speaker 3: Live producers, like your second in command.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we just watched Laser Light Canon. I love this episode.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was my favorite episode for a while, and of course of early season one. It's uh, it just sheds a lot more light on laser lights, human life, and particularly laser light. Yeah, well not until the end, but it shed sort of a red palette light on on on Stephen's home wife, particularly his relationship with his father, who we meet in this episode. We meet Greg Universe, who you were told Revines.
Speaker 4: So I told my dad to start watching the show because I loved that it reminded me so much of our bond, and he started watching and then he said, I.
Speaker 3: Only lived in my car for two weeks, Charlie.
Speaker 1: But it's more that he's you know, he's an audio guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's an audio guy.
Speaker 1: If he needed to drag something out of a storage locker, he's.
Speaker 4: The drag things out of it. We've dragged We've dragged many a thing out of a storage locker together.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, yeah, it's there's a lot of exposition in this one.
Speaker 4: They go rose Quartz and Steved looks at the cabin and says, for those just tuning in, that's my mom. And then Greg is.
Speaker 3: Like, Steven, could I could I narrate about how I met your mother?
Speaker 4: Real quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It won't take a whole series, right, you know, I rarely just think that that finale did not stick the land.
Speaker 3: Uh So Greg is voiced by Tom Sharpling, who is what is the show called.
Speaker 4: Why It's the best Show, the best show, which is like niche alt comedy radio station podcast.
Speaker 1: Thing out of uh you know East.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's got a very strange career. He was also a writer on Monk, which had a new had a New Jersey based writer's room. Andy Brickman, fellow radio guy from New Jersey, didn't want to move to Los Angeles, so he's like, no, I'm going to do the first New Jersey ricks roup.
Speaker 1: I'd have to move all my stuff.
Speaker 4: And you know, Tom Sharplink sings a song in this episode, let Me drive my Van into your Heart. He's not banger, Yes, he's not the most trained singer on the staff, but Rebecca specifically really in the roughness of his singing, and it's like, I think a garage band type music, which kind of really contrasts everything else we've heard.
Speaker 1: Suits his character. It's us. It clues us into what this character is like, you know, and it does.
Speaker 4: He does have some singing experience because when he was in his thirties, I believe he became a kid's pop kid amazing. If you've ever heard, I'll play you a snippet of it. He is the lead vocalist on the Kids Bop cover, the only vocalist there's no kids present on the.
Speaker 3: Kids Bop cover of all the small things, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean there are some like gremlin types going.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so there are some kids going on and on and on and out. But other than that, stop you know it, Miss Greg sings the song like this. But I love We talked about this with Gravity Falls because Jackie Buscarino, first name in the Steven Universe credits, is a major role on Gravity Falls because Alex Hirsch liked her podcast, and like, I love when the creator's taste have that much influence over a show where it's like just by watching it, you kind of feel like you're sort of not getting to know them but skimming their DVN R R.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where they're just like, oh, can we get that? Can we get that actor? Can we get that person? Oh we can Okay, awesome. I am.
Speaker 5: I went to a Stephen Universe convention. This is my side note because I'll bring this up later when Rose is introduced. But I was talking to Yes, it was I was talking to a lady at that convention who asked Rebecca Sugar why she chose those for Steven's parents, and reportedly she blushed and said, I ship their voices.
Speaker 4: I get that.
Speaker 1: I get that. I get it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. There's a great gag at this episode where they so so the threat is there's a big old eyeball kind of Majora's masking its way towards the Earth, and there's this great gag where Garnet keeps throwing Amethyst at it and it doesn't seem to be helping at all, but we just kind of keep seeing it go in the background whenever.
Speaker 1: Both very game for it, like anytime, Like Amethyst keeps wanting to be thrown and Garnet does not question like she's all right, yes, and so all day yes wouldn't be a great number of partner.
Speaker 4: Yes and.
Speaker 1: They're playing with So.
Speaker 4: It's something I always joke about when I watched this episode. Obviously not any one's fault. You know that the show didn't have us consisted a look yet Pearl is really off model.
Speaker 1: If you yeah, I mean so. A lot of times these episodes are split down the middle between the two board artists, and you know, obviously Rebecca Sugar, being the creator of the show, is going to have the more tied down drawing to these characters, even when other board artists haven't necessarily like gotten the word of like, oh, this is how we really want this to look. And even then, you know, they do famously have a lot of flexibility where as long as you know the character is overall recognizable, they are you know, they push expression, and.
Speaker 4: They push expressions with Stephen so well in particular, Yeah, he does this wonderful little bobbing his head down and like his cheeks are just kind of squishing into his lack of neck.
Speaker 1: And his eyeballs like flatten, Like yeah, just delightful.
Speaker 4: Anyone else got something to dress?
Speaker 1: Let's see I liked that. They don't like they save the town, but it's still kind. It creates a pretty bad situation because instead of one giant eyeball crashing into the planet, you have several large chunks crashing into the most of Beach Sorry about that?
Speaker 5: What what?
Speaker 1: What's Oh? And of course the bits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Steven goes to the fry store as it's closing and insists on getting the little chunks that are stuck at the bottom of the Stephen an amethysts insist on eating the bits, which are the little chunks of very fried fries stuck at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Of the bits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we meet, uh, the owner of the fry shop.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've learned his name yet, so it's guy.
Speaker 2: And see where it goes, A bit of a fry man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Yeah. I love just seeing more of this town. I love learning this lore just so slowly, it just kind of seep it in there.
Speaker 4: Because now we know Stephen's mom is a gem named Rose Quartz, and Steven's dad is a human musician who was touring and stopped in Beach City when he fell in love with her.
Speaker 1: An alligator not an alligator.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, I think my favorite visual gags are in the storage unit.
Speaker 2: I really like the there's so by t shirt cannon's cannon.
Speaker 1: The biggest laugh of it.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: There's so many good little easter eggs because the storage. Greg is like an absolute hoarder because he lives in his van and clearly at one point lived in a much larger even an apartment would be larger place, and so he just has all of this stuff that he has no space for, like six mattresses's a lot bigger on the inside, stew balls, tennis ball's croquet set, golfs that he sees himself was the type of person who would go eventually. There's a little cameo from a super mushroom from Super Mario with a face on it.
Speaker 5: I also really like Stephen just running back and hitting the drum for a second, the bongo the bongo and the pulling out of the light cannon and everything comes with it and then sells in place.
Speaker 2: It's such a good joke.
Speaker 4: Greg owns so many extension cords that it's just easier for him to use them as rope.
Speaker 3: One of them is like clearly ripped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I said, working together. They're pretty strong.
Speaker 5: The visual jokes are just so good, Like you can tell this is board driven because like the timing on the jokes.
Speaker 4: Is so good. And they can't fit the laser light cannon in the in the van, so they put it on a radio flyer and it immediately crushes through the bottom.
Speaker 3: So then the van is just loudly behind.
Speaker 1: I might as well. I've not had the wagon at all.
Speaker 3: Greg can't go over fifty miles an hour. I can't drive.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that van would get that fast without Yeah, pretty crappy, awesome paint job, though, I gotta say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, so the paint job is going to make it faster. L listen, I've seen enough of these things.
Speaker 1: They didn't put flames on the side though, No, right, that's.
Speaker 5: Not his shticks are underneath, are underneath, They're underneath the light cannon from sparking on the road.
Speaker 3: Oh yep, right, good thing, good thing. There's no yeah.
Speaker 1: All the shots of the townspeople, just the shots of the townspeople just staring at it, like this van dragging this giant cannon along along the road as let me drive my van into your heart is playing and also as the giant Red Eye almost crashes into the planet, killing everyone didn't though barely, just most and property damage yeah, just just a car. Yeah, it's fine, the doc fine. I think we've talked about most of Laser Light Cannon.
Speaker 4: On a similar note, the next episode of this podcast is already out on Patreon.
Speaker 3: You gotta pay the so h yeah you all. This episode's this.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be releasing monthly from this point on on the Patreon feed. This is just a you've just been listening to a little preview of our new Patreon show.
Speaker 1: It's in a moosee bousch, and I trust that your boosh is sufficiently.
Speaker 4: If you don't have three dollars to send us, get a friend to do it, they'll send the MP three.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna be I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: Tell on you.
Speaker 1: We won't even know.
Speaker 3: No, we won't be able to tell, but God will know.
Speaker 4: But I mean, if if you bought a CD at a store for three dollars and you showed your friend the music, that's not stealing. So I think we need to kind of abide by those rules with digital birth.
Speaker 1: If you send you know, if if a podcast gets sent from say, one peer to another peer. I think I think that's as long as.
Speaker 4: As long as it's not like actually completely interrupting our income. But true, yes, like, don't tweet, don't tweet out the MP three, but you could send it to your friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Twenty two minute blocks of eleven episodes as they aired together on.
Speaker 3: Ri air once a month.
Speaker 1: Don't send it to your rich friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, the rich friends, they're gonna pay up. Well, the rich friends can give us ten dollars to.
Speaker 2: Be two hundred two hundred a month, you're rich.
Speaker 4: No, But so if they give us ten dollars, they'll be able to sit in a discord call and type things while we record so muted of course, in case we forget anything, In case you'll you've done more research than we have, because we're not exactly fully going Time Capsule and book club.
Speaker 1: Here and all very burnt out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the forty dollar tier, why you could guess on the podcast once a year.
Speaker 3: Indeed, I don't expect.
Speaker 1: You to do that.
Speaker 4: I'm not asking you to give us forty dollars. It's just an option that exists.
Speaker 1: There's already an option on our Patreon, so we just retro fitted it to suit this podcast.
Speaker 4: Do we want to do plugs or yeah, I plugging the Patreon enough of a plug.
Speaker 1: I have a bunch of extension chords we can do somewhere.
Speaker 3: Some of them are kind of ripped. I don't worry about very about.
Speaker 5: I think we've got at least we've got at least three plugs, so we should be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For instance, you know you can find me at drawn without ref on Instagram and whatever Twitter is now and maybe even other places who knows, who cares. My website is where most of my stuff, you know, can easily be found being elichezri likely dot com or should I say dot com like my other podcast, Mystery Shack podcast. Another one my other other podcast, Yeah, that being the Matrix Reclamations that I do with the Lovely Hope and Lichner and we we we do that also once a month, give or take.
Speaker 4: It's funny how often people are lovely when they collaborate.
Speaker 1: Well there, I mean, I can't tell because I'm not in the room with them. I assume they're lovely when when they're not collaborating.
Speaker 3: You have seen them, they've been lovely, they could.
Speaker 1: Be, could be secretly even, but probably not.
Speaker 3: Shelby.
Speaker 5: You can find me at Shelby Sessler on just about everything, Instagram, whatever.
Speaker 2: The site formerly known as Twitter, TikTok.
Speaker 5: YouTube is a shelbanie Va I think and shelbanie cosplay in a couple of places too. I'm just I'm in a lot of places, in a couple of things, but mostly just my name.
Speaker 2: That's my website too.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be talking about Zelda a lot on these Steven Universe podcasts, more so than I did on the Gravity False one, as you've already heard, I am, though.
Speaker 1: Maybe the same amount as you did in that one episode of the Gravity False podcast.
Speaker 4: That's True, which kind of spun off into its own series separate from this podcast. I decided I wanted to keep making Zelda content, and I have a web series called Well Abridgemy. Princess Ella helps write it and has a little voice cameos here and there. Shelby co stars in it. It is an act of gender expression where I get to voice the non binary coded link not non binary coded in the show, but I can in yours shall.
Speaker 3: As of nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: But not non binary and coded in the video.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, a canonically non binary character and a woman. I wanted to void those in kind of a swashbuckling setting, And so I built this whole series around just being like me as a show. So like, if you like my vibes, you'll like this show. If you don't like my vibes, you won't like this show.
Speaker 1: It's basically while recontextualizing that horrible eighties legend of Alda cartoon in the process in a very Harvey bird minesque way.
Speaker 4: Did I did I ever tell you guys about the person who created the Celta cartoon. No, So Bob Forward Robert L. Forward, who is the son of a very well known science fiction author, created the Zelda cartoon as well as Transformers, Beast Wars, and underwear the shocks your balls.
Speaker 1: Okay, now where would you rank those?
Speaker 5: In?
Speaker 4: Well, so, Transformers be Sports. I have heard great things about the Zelda cartoon. It's all right for the time, like nineteen eighty nine cartoon, Like obviously link is a creepo creep shops at the Creepo Depot. But yeah, I would place then I would place underwear that shocks your balls. A patent that's held in his name. Yes, really, and then under that I would place the first episode of Captain En. I would rather have my balls shot than watch it. My newest episode of Well Bridgeman Princess uses footage from Captain End that I uploaded so and finished the episode so I never have to look at again. I'm also in a relatively new escape from Valt Disney on The Fox and the Hound.
Speaker 3: But that one was pretty funny.
Speaker 4: But then, one of the funniest things I've ever done was the episode on Once Upon a Time where I was brought in as the resident expert.
Speaker 1: Sort of like on a on a procedural crime drama when they bring in someone who's an expert on the cry.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, yeah, that's Rupple stilt Skin. He's also the Beast and TikTok the Crocodile, and Carl from up.
Speaker 1: She has Wild and the Devil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, I adhd. It's taking me a long time to say a couple of things. I also stream as the link from will Abridgmy Princess on twitch dot tv slash well and then the letter X excuse me, yes really, every time I plug this, someone's like, oh, that's a funny little gag. No, I have an eighties cartoon link YouTuber model and.
Speaker 1: The we wrote it in as a joke into.
Speaker 4: The like just because it's a joke, just because it's one joke that's funny to hear once, doesn't mean I won't.
Speaker 3: Continue it to the point where it's exhaustic every weekend.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing is, oh, we brought it back, all right, this has been like honestly delight, Thank you for joining me on this journey of read gemberance. Did I do it right that time?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that's I think that's a market grow.
Speaker 5: If we had an ending thing.
Speaker 1: This is where I think we're saying.
Speaker 2: But we're still working on a theme, so I think that you should keep bless.
Speaker 1: Listen, thank you, thank you outside car driving its van into your heart, into my podcast more like hey O