Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Seafood Matters. Thank you for joining us again. My guest today is Jack Robertson. When people talk about the development of square mesh panels in the fishing industry, Jack Robertson's name is never far from the conversation. So I am absolutely thrilled to welcome Jack to Seafood Matters. It's means so much to me, genuinely, Hi Jack, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 2: Oh lovely, Jim Lovely, that's a fantastic introduction and it's great to talk to you. We haven't actually talked for many a long year, and we should have been. But yes, I certainly had good fun with, say, the square mesh development, and it was a wonderful time that I had in the Marine lab in Aberdeen, developing the whole idea and doing the experiments on it, and then eventually getting it introduced to legislation to help the fishing industry.
Speaker 1: I was never on board during the trials, but still felt part of it as I believed in it, mainly because I had the utmost respect for you. I'm the fisherman you worked with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim, listen, you've said it. My initial experiment started on the research vessels, but I quickly needed to get into going on board with the commercial fishermen, because not only could they produce more fish, but I could also show them what was going on with the underwater cameras, with the square mession, with their own nets, and every one of the skippers, and I sailed with many, many many skippers. To a man, they were all brilliant, absolutely brilliant, welcomed me on board. We had a fabulous time, worked very hard, Jim, because it was twenty four to seven, it was a commercial trip. We just fished with them as they would fish normally, and we just changed the court ends as required to satisfy the experiment. We measured the fish as they were working up the fish, and they could have been nicer, could have been better, every single.
Speaker 1: One of them. It was brilliant, fantastic, Jack. When you mentioned that the research vessels, there's a guy I've done some recordings with, but I would class them as a friend as well. He's an officially scientist in Iceland, Chap Young Christiansen. Now when your men, it just comes to my mind when you mentioned the research vessels, because I mean John's and his eighties now obviously long time retired. That like yourself, he had a real passion and an interest in what he did. And his view about the research vessels he reckoned that the way he put it, he says they were started building nice new research vessels because they didn't want to be going out to see on dirty trawlers. That he reckoned that was the biggest mistake they made because what it actually what actually, what it actually did, was it to fishermen and scientists apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim, you've said it all, and it was the best thing I did. Was started going away with say, the fishermen, not I'm not speaking against the research vessels because actually the first square mesh experiment was undertaken on a research vessel, the small gold Seeker, and then the Klipeia. I did a few trips of square mesh on that and the skippers and the crew of the research vessels were all ex fishermen and they they were fascinated by the square mesh and they helped me enormously. Were they were fabulous and in what they did in the development of this square mesh. But they were restricted, Jim, by the civil service requirement for almost a nine to five on on the vessels, so you had to stop to give them their the rest and so forth. And that was the system we worked to on the research vessels and there was no changing that. But what I needed was volume volume of fish, particularly lots of small fish, to see them escaping. And that's why I moved on to the the commercial vessels. And and it was certainly the best thing that I could have done for the development of the experiments and the idea.
Speaker 1: And what was the atmosphere in the industry, Like then Zark.
Speaker 2: The atmosphere was I this is the late nineteen seventies early nineteen eighties, and they were going through quite a good period. The fish stocks were large, and the atmosphere was actually quite good gym. It was a positive atmosphere. There were new boats being built, there was quite a bit of money in the industry. But things were beginning to happen in that stock assessments were suggesting the need for quotas. Quotas were being introduced, which the industry obviously were a bit concerned about. And then quotas were were reduced gradually and so forth, So gradually the atmosphere changed to one of tremendous optimism with lots of fish catching potential and opportunities to fewer opportunities, And that's why they became interested in the whole idea of saving juvenile fish, which is what the Squaremish was all about. I wanted to save the juveniles to pump back into the fish stocks, to enhance the fish stocks for the fishing industry. That was my burning ambition all the time. It was to help the industry. And when they saw that come along, they became very interested, actually, And there was a great atmosphere of optimism developed through the nineteen eighties as I went on board more and more of the commercial boats and met more skippers, and more skippers talked about it, and there was certainly a tremendous feeling of optimism that perhaps something could be done to bring the stocks back a little bit, because by the late nineteen eighties, the hardock stocks in particular had to decreased markedly, so opportunities for the industry were becoming rather more difficult. And of course, you know, we were unfortunately still in the EU and the EUS dictating what we had to do in terms of catch limits and so forth, and boats had to be taken out and then gradually there was a pall came over the industry of real unhappiness. Jim, I don't know whether you would agree with me that it was a period of a bit of unhappiness about the way things were going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember back when you were doing the trials. Oh, you explained how and showed I'm sure I saw some of the videos how it wasn't just a case of square mesh panels. More fish would get out. I'm not right and saying when they were trying to get out of the diamond net they lost a lot of scales picking up infections, and so there was much better for the fish when they escape of even the small fish escaping escape from us square mesh rather than a diamond Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 2: My colleagues John Maine and Graham Sangster, who by the way, developed the separator troll, which is another great story about the development of that. But they were concerned about the survival of juvenile fish escaping from diamond mesh. That's what they started on. And then I asked them to look at the square mesh as well, and their results showed that survival rates from the square mesh were improved for sure, and you can understand why, just as you described it, Gim, the diamond meshes are tight closed and a juvenile fish trying to escape out through wriggling away like crazy, and you can see the scales flying off them in clouds of scales in some cases, and yet coming out of the square mesh. It was both pop out straight out through the square, hardly touching the sides, hardly touching the mesh at all, and no evidence of clouds of scales running down the length of the cod end. And of course we were filming all this with a remote control television vehicle which was controlled from the surface, so it was flying alongside the court ends and observing all the experimental cod ends that I used, and it was quite fascinating. The thing that started me off was I began diving in the middle nineteen seventies, began diving with John and Graham on troll gear, so they were looking at design improvements to design of troll nets, etc. That was the remit at the time in the lab, or at least in the gear section of the lab, and that diving really taught me a lot about net design. It also taught me a lot about how many juvenile fish were being destroyed. Now, in discussions with a colleague in the lab Stand German, he told me in the late nineteen seventies that's something in the region of seventy percent of what was captured in the North Sea of harrick and whiting. I'm talking about here, seventy percent of what was caught was discarded over the side as dead juvenile fish. So this was babies that didn't get a chance to spawn. This was babies who were not feeding other fish species, because the ecosystem requires lots of different species around and they feed on each other, and that's important. Caught in the southern North Sea on sand deals sand eals were fished out. Where did the cod go? They disappeared out of the Dogger Bank Doga bank. Cord fishery was one of the biggest in the world. It's no longer, it hasn't been for thirty forty fifty years because of the sandal fishery. So their food was taken from them. So these juvenile haddick and whiting, which could have been potentially food for cord and for haddock themselves, for adult haddock and adult whiting and so forth, it wasn't available to them. So it was a huge waste, huge waste, and it had to stop. But the way that the government wanted to stop it was by increasing the diamond mash size, but that didn't work. You were still getting discards. If you increased from seventy eighty to ninety two hundred mil, there were still discards, maybe not as many as there had been before, but nonetheless way too many to accept.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really interesting, but Jimmy it was.
Speaker 2: And of course the diving on the next with John and Graham showed all that to me, and I thought, I've got to do something about this. I really have to, and you dead, well, yeah, I mean it's something simple like turning diamond mesh onto the square. But actually there was something I did before that. I had to look at hexagonal mesh six six sided mesh, which is when you turn it a certain way, you can end up with a rectangle. And I thought, oh, now a rectangle is going to be good because it'll let more juvenile fish out, but it'll let the flatfish out as well. And I had a look at that and that was really good. But then I thought, m hexagonal mesh no, too expensive and not very practical. For mending and so forth. So it had to be What I wanted to develop was something, and I think you'll agree with me, Jim. It had to be practical, and it had to be acceptable to the industry. So I moved on to the square mesh and began trials, many many hundreds of trials, many many hundreds of toes over different horsepower vessels, say nets, troll nets, big and small vessels with full square mesh cottage. Now get that, Jim, it's full square mesh cottage. And I did. I did that, and the results were unbelievable. However, however, there was a potential problem in that if the square mesh was too big, you would lose too many marketable fish, and I didn't want that. The industry can't cope with any conservation device which on a whul By Hall basis restricts the amount of adult fish that they can capture. In other words, if the adult fish was escaping, what's the point in spending money and fuel and towing for hours and hours an end if you're getting you know, ten boxes as opposed to of adult fish, as oppos to thirty or forty or fifty boxes.
Speaker 1: Of adult fish.
Speaker 2: But at the same but at the same time let the juvenile fish escape, so that that became that became an issue which I had to look at very very carefully. And actually the best size for whitefish trolls of square mesh was eighty millimeters, which with which compared roughly to about one hundred millimeter diamond, but it didn't compare in terms of the release of juvenile fish. The square eighty still reduced more juvenile hrdrican whiting, so you can see that. You know, it was a long it was a long process of experimentation to find to find a mesh size that was acceptable to the industry and by the way, getting the industry to accept it as well. But but that was helped enormously by these fabulous skippers that I went away with on on on their their boats and you know, just dropping and I love to name drop when it comes to square mesh. I mean Tom Harks, you know, he he was, he was, he was on board excuse the pun for square mesh, you know. And and I was away with I was away with John Smith on the heather Sprigue. He was another great supporter of the square mesh and and and I could go on and on about it, you know, in terms of names. But people are sure that supported the square mesh were were very helpful in persuading the industry, in getting the idea cross, in showing results in discussing it. The likes of John Ashworth was sometime. Do you remember John Ashworth? Yeah, yeah, yeah, he was. He was very vocal in support of the industry. Everything that that man did was totally in support of the industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember that. But then it's interesting, Jacket You've mentioned Tom hark Is, because it was just the very person I was going to mention just now because I remember your trials. Obviously, I did a lot of business with Tom and all that Orkney boats, and I remember Tom saying and just exactly what you were saying with it, but it was eighty mullimeter and he was I think the trials were ninety on the Diamond and he reckoned not on the square, sorry, And he was concerned that there were letting just everything that you said, mature fish escape and it wasn't going to work. But I'm right in saying that, which I thought was crazy at the time, that they weren't allowed to come down because from ninety because because of the regulations on mesh size, and they wouldn't they wouldn't budge on the fact that square mesh was much greater. As you said there, eighty was the equivalent to one hundred and probably ninety what would be equivalent to maybe one hundred and ten or one hundred and twenty, But they wouldn't let them take it down. Is that right? Am I remembering that correctly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right. It's a complicated issue, but essense, you're right. I mean, we're talking about the civil servants in head Office. They had control of the introduction of legislation, so we were, you know, the scientists in the marine lab. We're merely putting our data to them and they decided from there, so any recommendations that we made would not necessarily been taken.
Speaker 1: Up by them.
Speaker 2: But I do recall a conversation with one civil servant who said, when I put to him that the eighty millimeter would be the best for the fishing industry in terms of retaining marketable fish but still allowing a much higher escape rate of the juvenile fish than nineteen one hundred mili diamond. And he said, no, we can't let them go down to eighty because they might cheat. Now I found that a fascinating statement, and I mean it actually demonstrates a lack of understanding of a civil servants sitting at a desk in Edinburgh compared to us out there on the fishing boats with the fisherman doing the stuff. And I asked him. I asked him, I said, what do you mean precisely by they would cheat with it? Oh? Well, can't they close the meshus up and restrict the And I said, well, okay, they could perhaps snotter you know what I mean by snortering accordagem just tying a rope rounded and closing the meshes up. And I said, well, okay, you know a fisherman could do that. But then why would he do that if the idea of eighty millimeter or even ninety milimeters square mesh is sold to the industry. And he looked at me and he said, you know what do you mean? I said, well, look, we've got to undertake a teaching process of of getting across the idea to the industry and showing them the data, showing them the video film and persuading them to use the square mesh in the manner that it was meant to be used. And I said, and this is the telling factor. I said, Look, even even if thirty percent of the fishing industry were to cheat with the square mesh caught end, you would still with the remaining seventy percent, be something in the region of sixty to seventy percent better off in terms of the destruction of juvenile fish in reducing the destruction of juvenile fish. And he looked at me, he said, is that right? And I said, well, you know, as far as one can one can calculate. And of course these calculations are very difficult to make, Jim, you know, it's stock assessment work and so on. Is open to all sorts of questions. But basically that was the argument that even if some of them did snorter their the squaremish caught in, there would still be a benefit in terms of increasing the spawning stock biomass by allowing the juvenile fish to escape. Well, okay, so this argument goes on for years and years and years, and I'm talking. My first filming of square mesh happened in September nineteen eighty one, and from there it took ten years to get the square mesh panel into legislation, and interestingly, Jim, the panel for prontrolls when it was introduced in nineteen ninety one was eighty millimeters. The panel for whitefish trolls was ninety millimeters. So you know, the acceptance of eighteen milimeter was okay eventually, but only for the prontrol that that ten year period. GYM was extremely frustrating because within about four years five years of nineteen eighty one, I had gathered a huge amount of data on squaremesh cought ents, and I wanted and felt that it would be the best for the industry to introduce squaremish cought ens at eighty millimeters. And I wish that had happened, I really do, But there was no persuading the civil servants who controlled the legislation. No matter how well we put across our argument or data, etc. There was no way it was going to happen. So from about nineteen eighty six we began thinking, how are we going to get round this? How are we going to get square mesh in? Because we were totally convinced that square mesh was going to be good for certainly for hardick and waiting stocks, how we're going to do it, and the square mesh panel on the top side of the cord end was mooted. Now I'll tell you a little story here, and it's a funny story in a way because I to this day I still have a laugh with Ken Arkley. Do you remember Ken Arkley from the Seafish Industry Authority? Now, Ken Ken was yeah, yeah, SFI. Ken was a very practical down to earth lad and I was having discussions with him about, you know, what to do in terms of oh well, he said, let's let's have a look at a panel, and I said okay, and I invited them up on one of the trips and we did some work on the panel, different positions in the cord end, and it was great. And the panel on the top side of the cord end works so well because it depends on the behavior of the huddeken whiting, which always rise up as they're running down the extension, or at least swimming backwards as it were, or swimming to keep up with the net, but the nets overtaking them as they exhausts, so gradually they're dropping down the extension. They come into the cod end and immediately they're pushing upwards as they had been pushing upwards against the diamond mesh but couldn't get out, and they were upwards. So this behavior was incredible. They were always going upwards, so the panel on the top side was just ideal. Now, this behavior of Hardig and Whiting rising up was first discovered by John Mayne and Graham Sangster when they started working on their separator troll. Well actually before they started working on the separator troll, they were filming fish behavior in the mouth of the troll and they discovered that Haddig and whiting when they exhausted and they couldn't keep up swimming with the net with the troll as it was trundling over the seabed, they would always rise up. Unbelievable, and John and Graham said, wow, this is incredible. They rise up, the whiting rise up, not to such a high level, but all the had all the flatfish were staying low, as you would imagine flatfish would always do, and cod were staying low as well. So they came up with a brilliant idea. Let's try a horizontal separator panel along the full length of the net from the from the mouth of the net just above the foot rope right back into the court ends and have a cought end on top and a cought end down below. And lo and behold, the top cought end caught all the hurdigan waiting. The lower cot end caught all the flatfish and the cord. So that's that's why, that's why the panel worked in my mind, because I knew that behavior from John and Graham, and I knew they were going to push out on the top side. But but but my real problem was I wanted juvenile cod to escape as well. Cod do not rise up. They always they always tend to go down. And I knew from the filming of my square mesh cought end, the full cod end with the square mesh on the full circumference, I had film of juvenile cod escaping from the lower part. Now you can understand, Jim, that's why, that's why I wanted to use the full square mesh cod end square mesh on the circumference, because it would deal with the cod, the juvenile cod, and it would going down, and it would deal with the haddache juvenile haddigan waiting going up. Okay, So the next problem, the next problem that the industry quite rightly raised was what about the flatfish? If you're using a full square mesh codent, are they going to escape? Well, the simple answer was that tiny flatfish do escape from square mesh eighteen ninety mili, but the regulation minimum size and below doesn't necessarily do so. So to solve that problem, we put a short length of diamond mesh on the back end of the full square mesh cod ent and that solved the problem. So cod juvenile cord were going out down below in the square mesh, hurrigon whiting were going out the top. The flat undersized flatfish were going out with the diamond mesh at the back end. And it couldn't have been better, But would would the legislators except that no. Now, part of the reason was, of course, that the industry were concerned about the full square mesh cord end on the round. They wondered about the strength. So I did a lot of its strength experiments, and I use different type of netting. I used not Japanese knutless netting and so forth, and we felt that we had resolved all their questions about the strength, but it didn't really gather traction. However, However, the squamish idea did gather traction with the industry and certainly the squaremish panel was acceptable to them. Uh. And then the whole sort of political process of by the industry to to actually get it introduced was was undertaken. And I met I met some great guys you know who represented the industry. I don't know if you remember Willy Hay very well, Willie Willy willy Hay was he was extremely interested in the squamish and we had a meeting well, in fact, willy Hay invited Ken Arkley and myself down to Edinburgh along with other representatives from Willy Hay was the president of the s FF at the time and and uh and and Tom Hay was at that time president or chairman of of the s w f p A. He later moved on and created f A L the Fisherman's Association. Yeah, but but Tom Tom was there representing the s w f p A, and he was he was in favor of it because because their skippers had fed through the associations, their their interest and and in many cases their delight in the idea of the square mesh panel and reducing the the juvenile Hurricane Whiting and and Willie Hay, I mean Willie I had. I had seen Willie at some meetings that had occurred in the lab and and and and I thought, oh, dere being invited down to Edinburgh by Willie Hay is probably going to tell me off about the square mesh because I've seen him up, I'd seen him operate at some other meetings, and by haven't seen he wouldn't hold back with the scientists, you know, he would give them hell. But you know what he could he couldn't have been nicer. So we were in a hood. I can't even remember which hotel. It was, the meeting room in the hotel, and it was it was laid out with the tables, and he met he met Ken and I at the door of the hotel. And I'll never forget He's come in. Lads. She says, you must be starving. I've set up I've set you up for a plate of fish and chips. So we sat we sat down with all these industry leaders around us, you know, including the likes of John Thompson, including you know John Smith. He was he was in the s w f P A one one of the office bearers et cetera, and some names I can't even remember now, but there were a lot of them, and they were just questioning Ken and I about the whole business, and we just we just laid it out as I'm laying it out to you, about the squaremish, the full squaremish caught end, they caught in with the diamond piece on the end, the squamish panels, uh and so on, and they were very much in favor of it. And I believe, although there's a lot going on in the background with many other people, including John Ashworth who was pushing for it in Math, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food in in in England, that I believe that that was a turning point that meeting where they they accepted that certainly to help the industry and to minimize the destruction of the juvenile fish, that the squaremish panel was worth seeing or putting into legislation, and they then went to the legislators and persuaded them to introduce it. And of course the first introduction was in nineteen ninety one, as I said, and believe it or not, Jim, of course you'll be well aware square mesh has been in legislation continuously since nineteen ninety one in the UK fishery at various sizes and configurations, etc. It's been in European legislation since the early nineteen nineties because they took it on board after we introduced it in the UK, and it's been in Iceland, it's been in Canada, it's been in America, it's been in Norway, it's been in a wide range of countries in the Northern Hemisphere, including in the Southern Hemisphere. Australia's big and square mesh as well. So it it really, it really did start something. But Jim, but now here's me. I'm a young scientist and I come up with this square mesh idea. Let's open the mass shop. And I come up with this idea and I think, oh, this is fabulous. I'm the first one. I'm the inventor, and I thought, oh wow, this is something big, and I was I was very proud of myself having invented it. Anyway, after the first trial that I had with it, I thought, do you know what I need to get into this selectivity of cought ins more than I had done up till that time, Because up till that time in the Marine Lab Gym. I was looking at fishing gear design. That's what I was employed for, to improve fishing gear design, and that's all I've been doing. I hadn't developed into selectivity, so I needed to get a background on what had been done in selectivity. And along to the librarian in the lab, John Byrne. And in those days, of course, we didn't have the Internet. He couldn't email, he couldn't He had to phone around all of the libraries in the UK, in Europe and across the world to ask them. My question to him, which was has square mesh ever been used before? I was hoping it hadn't because I wanted to be the inventor. But it had. It had because John came back with And this is where the history just fascinates me about the whole thing. Apparently a fellow, a Dutchman by the name of Guelder, first child square mesh panel. It was a panel in a in a in a four panel caught end which was held open by a frame. He tried square mesh in nineteen twenty eight. Would you imagine nineteen twenty eight. It was incredible. And John went even further back a fishery scientist in England, an Englishman in eighteen ninety five, had you used square mesh as well? So that was me blown out of the water. I hadn't invented it after all, But Jim I wasn't disappointed because the more that I got into the whole selectivity issue and looked at the history of it, well, there was Holt in eighteen ninety five, Guilder in nineteen twenty eight. In the early nineteen hundreds there was a rash of scientists Danish, Dutch and so forth who were concerned about the destruction of juvenile fish, and they started playing around with different designs of troll which they called savings trolls. They were saving the juvenile fish, saving the babyfish. But none of them, none of them took off in the legislation, and it needs to go into legislation because fishermen. Although in recent times I understand there have been some fishermen who've wanted to trial their own designs and have been refused by by the ministries to use them legally, when in fact they've been shown to be much better than what we've got at the moment. However, that's another story. But none of the early devices were ever introduced into legislation because at that time there was no legislation. There was no minimum size mesh size. That didn't occur until nineteen thirty three in the UK fishery when a mesh size of roughly roughly seventy seventy five millimeters was introduced to the troll fishery for the first time. Solation built around the world into legislation from the nineteen thirties up to the nineteen eighties where I was trying to introduce the square mesh. So the history of the whole thing was fascinating, and the history also included the then director of the Marine Lab, Basil Parish. Now you might remember Basil Parish. He was a great director of the Marine Lab and he was very much in favor of the square mesh. And when I came back from my first trial on the Gold Seeker with the video film and the data showing the juveniles escaping, he saw the film and it was in September, and he said, what do you want to do with this, Jack? And I said, well, obviously we've got to do some experiments on it. I said, well absolutely, he said, but what do you want to do immediately, because he was so keen to get something done immediately in terms of more fish data to prove whether it was better or not. And I said, well, I can't get any any funding because the annual funding had been allocated. And he said, don't worry about that. He said, how much do you need to charter a fishing vessel and go off and do some experiments. So within a month and made me returning from that trip, Basil Parish had found funding and I had chartered a vessel, the Harvest Reaper, out of the Fraserburg with James May the skipper, and James was brilliant, absolutely brilliant, and we got some very good data which showed to Basil that the square was certainly performing better than the the Diamond mesh in certain circumstances. And from there it blossomed. From there I couldn't. I was never refused any funding that I requested for, you know, chartering boats, going away with the fishermen, et cetera, which was absolutely phenomenal. Now, one interesting thing, Jim Listen, that trip with James May was staggering, not only because of what they saw, they were staggered by what they saw both from the video film and from the data that I produced. But I was staggered because James said to me one day, and it was about the second day of the trials, he says, you know something, Jack, I'm comparing the diamond mesh fish with the square mesh caught fish, and I'm seeing a better quality in the square mesh fish. And we looked at it closely and it was true. Visually we could see that there was a better quality. Now why was that, well, of course James explained it. He said, because there's debris escaping out of the square mesh, you know, the kind of the sort of debris that you pick off the seabedstones and shells and bit pieces, which when it grinds around at the end of the cought end with the fish accumulated, it's rubbing against the fish. They're losing scales. They're not as good quality as the square mesh. And do you know what James did, He said to me, He said, do you know what, it's well worth keeping those two groups of fish separate on the market, because we landed on the market at the end of the week and lo and behold the square Now nobody knew no, but he knew and nobody had been forewarned that the two fish had been separated. Lo and behold, the square mesh fish was picking up about two to three pounds of box more than the diamond mesh caught fish. Now we asked to buy, I asked the buyers. I asked the buyers afterwards, why did you buy that fish? And he said, well, look, he said, the quality is better on them. I can see that. He said, I'd still buy the other fish. And then we told them that the difference was diamond and square. So that was an amazing finding.
Speaker 1: That that's one way to get a fisherman's heart.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, I'll tell you. I'll tell you the other way to get this heart. My biggest selling point, apart from the fact that it shaved juvenile fish with the full square mesh caught end, was that there was less sorting on deck because you didn't have the debris and you didn't have.
Speaker 1: That would be an improvement on quality.
Speaker 2: As well, and that's an improvement on quality. But they had less work on deck. So every hall with the Harvard Streeber boys, they kept saying they were cheering by the end of the trips when they saw the squaremish caught in coming up. Oh, we don't have much sorting. But they were still getting they were still getting the equivalent marketable marketable adult fish as they had got with the diamond mesh. So there were lots of selling points early on. And as time went on, of course, and more and more skippers and crew got to learn about the square mesh, then they began to realize that there were huge advantages.
Speaker 1: But when you say that, Jock, is it not sad when you go back, so the vibes you were getting when they might sheet of.
Speaker 2: Fat, it's very sad and.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: And you know, to pick up on your point about your Icelandic Johann the Icelandic scientists, Christensen and him saying, you know that they wanted research vessels because they were nice and clean and cozy and everything was nice, and they didn't want to go away in commercial boats because it was smelly and dirty. I had exactly the same experience with a senior scientist in the marine lab in the early days of the square meshed when I mooted that I start charting now. To put it to you, Jim, the charting hadn't taken place to any great extent in the marine lab, and they were kind of against it. They wanted the research vessels to be used for the experiments. But I I persuaded them that I was going to get greater quantities of fish. I could work twenty four to seven on the commercial boats. And one of the senior scientists said to me one day, he said, he said, I don't understand why you want to go in commercial boats chat because they're dirty, smelly fishermen now, And I said to it, I actually chastised him for that. I said, you mustn't speak that way. We're in a sense representing we're working for the industry, and that should be at the forefront of every scientist's thinking, that you're there for the industry. Whatever aspect of work you're doing, whether it's stock assessment, environmental issues, whether it's selectivity work, you should always be mindful that you're working for the industry. And he was taken aback by that. He was taken aback. He never ever said anything against the charters after that.
Speaker 1: He didn't see himself as working for the industry.
Speaker 2: Well, whether it was that Jim or not, I don't know, but I was I was. I was really horrified by it, because well, listen, it was you know. And I think to the other extent is that I think a lot of scientists in those days, I don't know what it's like these days. I've been away from it for a long long time, Jim, But those days, a lot of the scientists thought that the industry were perhaps, you know, not very intelligent. And nothing could be further from the truth. The most intelligent people I have ever met on Earth are some of the fishermen that I went away with. Well, in fact, all of the fishermen, I would say, I mean, look at Andrew Bremner on the boy Andrew and his father, Norri I chartered. I chartered them a few times and couldn't have been better. And Norrie putting across understanding immediately the the you know, the whole concept of guaremation and the need for it and pushing for it. And there was there was Andrew and and and John Gary A Cup and Shetland. I mean, what a clever, clever man. And Sunbeam exactly yeah, and and and of course we go back to Tom Harkas. I mean, my word, look at the man, how he developed I was on both his boats, by the way, the Orkney Reaver, which was a fantastic seaboat, but the Kila, I love the Kila. I've never been on a fishing boat quite like it in seakeeping qualities and oh man alive. It was just a superb, superb vessel.
Speaker 1: I love your passion and I think it's absolutely brilliant the way you're giving recognition the guys commercial fishing boats. Oh yeah, skippers that you worked, oh yeah for them, and they worked for the Marine Lab.
Speaker 2: Well yeah they were they were working for the lab, and and and they they enjoyed every minute of it. I enjoyed every minute of it. But I mean, you know, Jim, I always said at the time, and I and I still say it, and I'll say it to anyone who wants to listen to me until they're bored silly, because you know what I'm like when I get stuck on square mesh.
Speaker 1: But I would say with that, you'll talk, and you'll talk until they're bold board silly, you said, but you won't stop then.
Speaker 2: But but the thing was that the thing was Jim, that to me, all of the skippers, including a lot of people, are sure, including one or two in the Marine lab as well are the unsung heroes of the square Mesh story. Because the square mesh story was so far away from anything that the industry had had ever experienced that it must have been so difficult for them to accept in a lot of a lot of cases. And I mean, I'm spinning your story here of what I saw in the industry, which was their acceptance was brilliant.
Speaker 1: What I could say to you, obviously, when you're talking you get back to the eighties. I was much younger. I was involved to degree, not the same as the fisherman because I wasn't actively on the boat hands on that I was talking to you when you would commend when the boat would we be come in into land and be talking to the fisherman. And I can remember I just thought it was so exciting what it was going to do for the future. So I know exactly what you're all what you're saying there, Jack, I know exactly. I can remember it clearly now.
Speaker 2: Jim, I don't want to embarrass You've given me. You've given me the ideal opportunity to say that you you are one of the unsung heroes. All those discussions that we had, I didn't know who I was talking to when when we were landing with the boats, except that you know, you were buying from from the boats, the fish from the boats. And of course you know me, I'll talk to anyone in the on the pier, anyone that comes up to me. In fact, I'll even grab people and start talking to them when they don't want to talk. And you, you, you listened, and I could see the excitement in your eyes. But Jim, I saw that excitement in so many other people's eyes. And you went on and you chatted about that to every fisherman that you encounter. I know for a fact, because fishermen would feed back to me, always speaking to Jim Kwi and he was telling me about the skirmish, tell me something about it, and Jim was Shane, it's a great idea. And Jim, you were all over the place. You were. You were definitely one of the unsung heroes that that that pushed it into into legislation eventually. But no, I mean a lot of people, a lot of people were involved. Uh.
Speaker 1: And but as well as that, Jack, I appreciate it, and I thank you for that really kind words. I didn't see myself as that, but good back a wee bit one of the other points you made earlier, and I really do respect the way that you speak so fondly and highly of the fisherman you had connections with on my goodness worth plenty that I'll go back. I remember we were still in the EU midterm review, That's what it was, a midterm review the common Fisheries policy in Shetland. I went up for it. I was we were Tom and myself for coming back. We were in Sambra airport waiting for her plane and who was sitting on the airport waiting for their plane? And honestly that live with me to the rest of my days. The foresight and the knowledge and intelligence. Who was at three guys everyone you mentioned, So I know and appreciate what you're saying and who you're talking about, Willly Hay, Tom Hay and Johnny Thompson.
Speaker 2: Johnny Thompson. Yes, yes, three unsung heroes.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely totally. And what I just come away from we were just buzzing so fool What foresaid? What foresaid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, absolutely, I'm big characters, Oh, huge characters, and you know every one of them should have been knighted. I firmly believe that that what they did for the industry, and I sincerely wish and hope that the industry knew it at the time, and I'm quite sure that a lot of the industry did knew just what they sacrificed for the industry and pushed for the industry. They were all great, great men. And John Thompson, I'm glad you mentioned him because the Saint Kilda, the Saint Kilda, Oh what a beautiful boat.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't boat. And I remember one time they commend to land in lochand that I was. I was buying a lot of fish at the time. At that time that would be before that, that would be well before the eighties. That would be either late sixties or into the seventies. And I was buying fish on and John came in to land. He had his fish on the market. Now there was a customer in Edinburgh, give me an order. He wanted fish, told me about the quality, the size, and I thought, well, I can't go wrong, I don't. I think it was before the St Kilda as well. I think it would be the Horizon. So I bought the fish the customer wanted from. It was Johnny's Thompson's fish because I knew the quality, knew the exactly what he wanted. So customer got the fish. He was happy. I was happy. And that was on the Thursday.
Speaker 2: And you know that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you remember at that time that guy's landed. There were fished out. They would land on the Thursday night, go home, and then start again on the Sunday night. And I was back up on the Tuesday and Johnny was in again to land and he came up. He came up to me and he says, how did you get on with my fish last week? And I says, I got on fine with it, Johnny. I had an order from a customer. He wanted them, so I got them at he's happy with them. So I don't know, you're what you're getting at? I says, all good, you know, and he's lossy accent. Oh, he says, I'm fine. Pleased to hear that, Jem. He says, I was a wee bit worried you paid too much for them.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. When when did you ever hear but when you ever hear a fishermen? Well that was that was That was the man, that was.
Speaker 1: The because because on the market. George McKay it was you could say, mister Lochan where he owned the Lochander fish selling company, and there was buyers coming up from Aberdeen. Was was still operating a support buyers coming up from Bucky Aberdeen all over. And of course here's me, young lad, bidding on the fish. Of course what do they do, push me up, making me, force me to pay more pay And Johnny, when you think of it now, Jack, Johnny had he at the foresight that he could see it's new, young I wasn't buying a lot of that size of headaches at the time, and here was him saying, well, this could be the future.
Speaker 2: And he was.
Speaker 1: Rather than think it's more money for me, he thought, well, I hope it doesn't damage in a way that he's not he doesn't come in buying in the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. He was very thoughtful that way.
Speaker 1: John That's that's the measure of the mind he was.
Speaker 2: He was also the most patient skipper I think I've ever come across I did. I did a couple of trips with him. One trip I was filming the Shane Net now is Shane Net to film with the RCTV them remote control television vehicle is very, very difficult, and it took us three weeks to get some good film of juvenile fish escaping from the cot end. And I'll forever be in John Thompson's dead for the patients that he displayed during that three weeks until we got the film. When we got the film, he celebrated it far and wide. He plastered that video anywhere and everywhere he could send it because he was so enthused by the square mesh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't believe that.
Speaker 2: Great. Great, I'll tell you. I'm sorry take up your time here, but listen another funny story, Johnny. When we were on that trip. You know how the rescue helicopters very often come over a fishing boat and ask permission to do some practice landings aboard. And that happened to us, you know, regularly. Anyway, the Wessex I think it was a Wessex helicopter at the time, I'm sure it was. It came over us and the radio comes on, skipper, can we could we do a practice and John John turns to me and he says, you okay for this, Jack, you know it's your charter. I said absolutely, I said no, I'm in full encouragement of, you know, practicing for the rescue services. Anyway, the winchman comes down onto the deck, he releases and I get chatting to him. Well what was I chatting to him about? Square Mesh? Of course, Jim and telling him, telling him, telling him what we are doing. And I could see him glaze over gradually, you know, and he started he started signaling, is his pilot to come in and lift him off? And I said to him, I said, just before he lifted off, I said, look, you wouldn't mind taking the camera. I had a video camera on board and I was videoing the whole thing, you know, And that's what I did. I made videos of each trip and distributed it around. Anyway, I said to him, wouldn't mind taking the camera up and filming us? Oh? He's just no bother at all. He says, would you like to come up yourself and do the filming yourself? I said, no, I better not leave the vessel. It might not go down too well in Edinburgh with the civil servants. If if Jack Robertson was known to have flown off in a Wessex helicopter. Anyway, the wenchman takes the camera and he does a brilliant movie and he comes back down hands it over And what a wonderful, wonderful video we made of that trip, you know, including the underwater video of the Square Mesh. And Johnny Thompson of course was delighted to get aerial film of the shint Kilda as well, so he's very proud to get that video at the end of the day from us.
Speaker 1: And fantastic Jack. If I could, maybe I wouldn't say steal your thunder a bit, but maybe give you one that you weren't aware of. Oh what's that? You know, when you're going on about your history lessons, you can back the nineteen early nineteen nineteen twenty something. Yeah, yeah, and then you go back to the eatings.
Speaker 2: You said eighteen ninety three. I think it was eighteen eighteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: I want to steal your thunder, but I'm going to be looking at a paper when we finish our conversation. Yeah, I think I'm going to send you on from the thirteen hundreds. Oh and it was it was talked in parliament and sent to the King for approval, the then king for approval.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jim, this is great history.
Speaker 1: Go on, go on, tell me, tell me not just about immature fishing fish escaping.
Speaker 2: Amateur fish escaping. Ah, right, even in those days, even in those days, it's always been the concern. I'm delighted. I want to see that paper for sure. Oh, Jim, that's that's wonderful. Well, do you know, Jim. And going from that thirteenth century issue, going from then to the future, there's the young's coming through in the industry. Now. Their future depends on letting juvenile fish escape from the from the gear. They've got to look after their their future, and they've got to embrace selectivity in the in the nets.
Speaker 1: To take that one. If I could just maybe ask the question what was happening in fisheries that made selectivity important?
Speaker 2: Oh, without a doubt, it was the destruction of the juvenile fish.
Speaker 1: Gim.
Speaker 2: I mean, skippers were showing me videos, uh and move movie films, you know, the old sinny h stuff of halls that they would have, and they would dump the juvenile fish and that fish would lie on the surface dead. Okay, the goals were getting them. It was entering the ecosystem, but it wasn't doing any good for the fishing industry, and those fishermen were coming to me and telling me that long before, long before I started the selectivity work in the mid nineteen seventies, when I was on the research vessels, which, as I told you earlier, were crewed by ex fishermen, inevitably I would ask about the history of fishing, of their experiences, of the boats that they had, where they fished, and all the rest of it. And every one of them started to tell me about the destruction, and it was foremost in their mind, Gym foremost in their mind, and they would take me to their houses and show me the siny eight and I was flabbergasted because I had no real notion of that up to that point. But then, as I said to you earlier, I started diving with John and Graham, and I saw the capture of the juvenile fish in the nets. So I was linking those videos from the fishermen to what I was saying, and that's what moved me into this whole area of selectivity, because I thought we have to we must do something to save the juvenile fish, and that was my driving force. In fact, I became very blinkered. Jim. It has to be said about selectivity in general now and square mesh in particular, as you know. But it wasn't just the square mesh I discovered. And this I can claim fame for without a shadow of a doubt, that the selectivity of long extension pieces in troll mates is very poor and if you shorten the extension piece up, you're beginning to open the meshes up a little bit. It's what they do with the design of the troll et cetera, et cetera. And the escape of juveniles was a bit better. Now, that was a non starter. I could never introduce that to the fishery because the fishermen need the long extension to get from the nets are taken over the stern of the boat and the cod end is taken up for it always on the starboard side to the fishhold, and they had to have that long extension to get round. So although that discovery was extremely interesting in terms of selectivity and improving selectivity, the one that did work and is in legislation now is the reduced meshes on the circumference of the cordent. And that was an experiment that I set up in the again in the early night in eighties in tandem with all the squirmish stuff that I was doing. So what the fishermen were doing was they were using a large number of meshes on the round on the circumforts of the content, and that would close the meshes up tight. And I asked fishermen why they were doing that, and they said, well, it's catching me more fish. I said, okay, but it's is it catching you more marketable fish? Well, not really marketable, but it's catching more juveniles. And I said, but why would you want to catch the juveniles because they said, it proves to us that the net the troll is fishing correctly. Now think on that a moment, Jim, Is that not astonishing? They had the conception, that I suppose in their minds rightly, that because they were catching the juveniles as well as the adults, then the net was on the botto, the foot rope was tight on the bottom, it was capturing what it needed to capture. Nothing was getting out and away from the front of the troll that they were pulling everything in and it was getting down into the content. And I said, well, but then you know these are under the minimum landing size juvenile fish. You're dumping them so it's a complete and utter way, And they said yes. And I spoke to a lot of skippers who used that explanation, and that was in the nineteen seventies. I never ever heard a skippers or any fishermen say that in the nineteen eighties or early nineteen nineties, because I believe that it was the film videos that John Mayne and Graham Sangster and I were producing on the various experiments that we were doing, which was showing the fishermen that they did need to capture the juvenile fish to show them that the net was fishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there was. Because I was going to ask you, why were a juvenile such a concern because we're traditional nets failing.
Speaker 2: Well, now, it was of the time, gym. They weren't failing because the mesh, the minimum mesh size was what it was, which was seventy and eighty seventy in the pron trolls and eighty in the whitefish trolls. It was of the time. And I suppose esoterically you can say, yes they were failing, failing the juvenile fish and retaining them, yes, but they weren't failing the fishermen in a sense because they had no conception until they saw the video film of the nets. They had no conception of really what was going on down there.
Speaker 1: Although yeah, well I could I say maybe stly slightly. Did personman already understand before science stepped you say.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. The industry understood absolutely before before before the industry And listen, if I can just go back, because I think something I said a few moments ago was was was not quite right. I said something like, you know, the fisherman had no conception of what was going on on the seabeds. Their net was was being towed over the ground. That's not true. Actually, the fisherman knew an awful lot of what was going on by telltale signs, damage to natch, wearing tear and chain on on the wing ends, wearing tear on the foot rope and so on, meshed fish through certain sections of the of the troll. You know what, you know what I'm talking about. It was telltale signs that were demonstrating to fishermen that something wasn't quite right, one of which was the amount of juvenile fish that were capturing and also the meshed juvenile fish that were meshed in the extension pieces in particular, So that was the fish that got pinched by the netting as they were trying to escape but couldn't, and that came to the surface, and the fishermen saw that. So the industry were, without doubt, way ahead of the scientists in understanding. I suppose that the damage that was being done by the capture of juvenile fish in particular, and the damage that that was subsequently doing to the stalk sizes I see.
Speaker 1: I know it made seem as if it's a repetition, and you've already spoken about, but it's not. With the square mesh. Where do you did the square mesh? Forget we're talking now thirteen hundred, eighteen hundred and nineteen hundred, forget all that history, but with yourself, where did the square mesh idea come from?
Speaker 2: It? It came, do you mean? For me? For me, without any doubt, it just came with the amount of thinking that I was doing during my earlier years in the lab about the design of trolls. So my remit was to improve troll design, to make it more economical, to make it more efficient for the fishing fishermen. And it was just the thinking that I was doing about the opening of meshes, or the lack of opening in a lot of cases, and the retention of juvenile fish, and thinking how can I open up the mesh, and just fiddling about with little bits of netting at home, in the marine lab, in my office, all over the bloody place. I mean, people in the family were sick of me fiddling about with bitsinet because I was determined how do I do this? And just turning diamond mesh on the square How simple could that be? And as I mentioned earlier, looking at hexagonal mesh as well, but that was a non starter because of the complication of repairing it. But it started with me. Now it's interesting because and again this is working against my desire to have discovered square metch, which I didn't. But the first trip that I had in a gold Seeker, James Calder, a Bucky fisherman ex fisherman who was skipper of the gold Seeker and the crew watched the video. As I was flying the RCTV, I would control it to fly around the cod end and the first time that they saw the squaremish cought end, they were flabbergasted and James immediately almost immediately said to me. He said, Jack, that's something that must go into legislation to let more juvenile fish escape. And we got talking about it afterwards, and there was a lot of discussion, and James described to me that square mesh had been used before, and I thought, oh, no, I'm blown out of the water. Haven't discovered squaremish. And what it was was he himself had actually used squaremish behind the foot rope of the troll where they were fishing over shell ground or stony ground. The shells and the stone would drop through the very large square meshes that they would use, and it would just be one or two or three rows, and then the diamond mesh would be attached to the back end of that, so the stones and the shells would come over the foot rope, fall through the square mesh and not be caught in the net obviously, because of course they knew that if the stones and shellfish got back to the court entend, it would destroy their catch. It would completely destroy the quality of the fish and the nephrops, the prawns that they were fishing. So there you go. He told me that, you know, square mesh had been used in another application which was brilliant, and it adds to the whole history of the Squaremish story.
Speaker 1: And obviously lots of what you're saying, it all makes practical sense. Why did it make scientific sense?
Speaker 2: Well, it made shine of sense because the now I need to get a little bit technical here and try and describe graphs. Each each time we towed the content, we would capture the juvenile fish that came out of the content, so we knew what had escaped and what had been retained in the content, and we could build a graph which displayed fish length, you know, starting at zero, five, ten, fifteen, twenty centimeters, thirty centimeters and so on on the bottom of the graph, and then on the on the vertical axis of the graph, you would have the proportion retained. So that was simply comparing what it has had escaped at each size of fish against what it'd been retained in the content. So you built a picture of retain against escapes. And that graph usually pretty much always followed an esh shaped curve, what's called an ogive in the trades. So it was an ish shaped curve, so that when you got up to say forty centimeters, it would be at one hundred percent retention of forty centimeter fish, whereas if you went down to the juvenile fish size, let's say fifteen centimeters, you would be further down the ogive curve to a position that would suggest at fifteen centimeters you had retained twenty percent of the juveniles and eighty percent of them had escaped. Now, for a diamond mesh, cod end of the sizes that I was experimenting with, the ogive was very flat, usually very flat, so that even at the juvenile fish sizes of you know, ten, eleven, twelve, thirty, forty, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen centimeters, the retained percentage could be as high as thirty forty fifty percent. Still, now here's the croux. When we used the square mesh. Firstly, the ogive was always steeper. In other words, the cutoff between retaining juveniles and retaining marketable species gave a much steeper ogive, so that you found when you went down to fifteen centimeter size of Haddacker whiting, let's say, there was zero retention of that size of fish, meaning all the juveniles of that side size had escaped from the cotted. Now, because because the ogive was much steeper, and because there was more of a discernible cutoff between retained juveniles or shall I say, escaped juveniles, as opposed to retained marketable fish, you were ending up with more marketable fish at the equivalent size of square mesh compared to diamond mesh. So for an eighty milimeter square mesh, which was equivalent roughly to a ninety milimeter diamond mesh, sometimes a bit more actually, but the od jive, the ogive for the diamond mesh would be very shallow, and the ogive for the square mesh would be quite steep, So the cutoff could be manipulated in a way with the mesh size to give you a cutoff point for the minimum size of fish that was required by law to be retained. And at that time for haddock it was, as I recall, it was twenty seven centimeters. So for the eighty millimeter square I was getting pretty near most of the juvenile escaping out of the square mesh. But because it was a steeper ogive, I was getting more more marketable fish. And that was the incredible thing about it.
Speaker 1: The other incredible thing that I would ask you, Jacket, why was it controversial? This made common sense.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, I mean, well okay, I of course I wouldn't call it controversial because I don't think anything that is designed to improve conservation controversial. In my mind, it's not controversial, but it was controversial. Yeah, But to many people it was controversial. And I used to say to them, why is it controversial? Do you not want to improve the escape of juvenile fish? They would answer yes, of course we do. And I said, well, you know why is it controversial?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, it's because it's so different. And I say, well, if the fishing industry accept it, then it's not controversial. Have you spoken to any fishermen that are against it completely and utterly? No, I haven't. Well I hadn't either, because most of the fishermen that I spoke to who I showed the movie to, the underwater video showed the data to convinced all the skippers that I went away in the commercial charters with, every single one of them, were convinced totally that it worked and that it showed the attributes that I'm discussing in terms of retaining more marketable at certain sizes, letting much more juvenile, many more juveniles escape, et cetera, et cetera. So I could to this day, I cannot understand why people thought it to be controversial. In fact, many many of those people thought it's so controversial that they tried to stop it going into legislation. Now I'm talking about, you know, the odd scientist and the odd civil servant. Now, the fishing industry came into play, and I've described meetings I had with Willie Hay and all the rest of it. When they went back to the civil servants, they said, well, you know, we want the square mesh. And the civil servants said, yes, but you know, aren't their problems of strength and so on and so forth. Yes, but that's all been solved by the Marine Lab. The Marine lap has done strength tests. They've devised means of necessarily strengthening up the salvages of the square mesh, running ropes along the mesh to ensure that it was strong enough to lift caught ins of fish aboard, et cetera, et cetera. So that's all been solved. So why why is it still controversial in your mind? And gradually the fishing industry itself persuaded the legislators to accept that the industry itself didn't find it controversial that they were quite happy with it because they could see they could see the benefit of its introduction in terms of letting more juveniles escape, letting the babies, the baby's escape, and it became the mantra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if I could ask you, Joe for a moment, to take your scientist start off and just give us our listeners are insane because obviously, as a scientists, you're going on what we described earlier, dirty fishing, smelly fishing boats. What was your experiences like going to see any of the practical problems when you were there, if there were gear failures, bad weather, you must have some memories that well.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely, there are a lot of memories. I mean, the predominant memory for me has always been just how good, how nice the fishermen were, the skippers and their crews were, and also how how nice the boats were. The boats weren't smelly, dirty, The boats were some of the finest, cleanest vessels I've ever been on. Because fishermen are proud of their ships, they're proud of their vessels, they're proud of what they do, and that showed through an abundance to me in every single boat that I went on. However, there were some funny incidences, and one of which I to this day dispute completely and utterly. However, with tongue in cheek, I have to add and Tom, I think one of one of your other guests, Tom from what you called catch Cam, his Tom Rossiter. He relates this story because he was told it by James May. Jim May, the skipper of Harvest Reaper. Well, Jim, as you know, was the first boat that I went away on and and we did a fantastic trip. That was a great trip, and I went on many trips with Jim May. However, on one of the trips I had a lot of changing of cod ends and extension pieces, because not only was I looking at the square mesh, but I was looking at the idea of long and short extensions and full cought ends and squaremish cought ends and so on. And Jim and I, I mean I always got involved in the practical side of changing the gear over whinning if I could. And with Jim, he enjoyed working on the deck with me. So while the crew were sorting the catch, Jim and I would change the cod end or the extension piece or whatever.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: So Jim and I are chatting away and having a grand old time. It's a lovely day off Fraser Bragh and the sun was shining, and we do our job of attaching a new a different extension to the extension of the troll that was about to be shot again once the crew had sorted the fish out, so the net is shot away, so the core end goes over first Jim and then the extension and nothing behind it. We hadn't attached the extension to the troll. We did attach the we did. We had attacked we'd attached the extension to another piece of extension that was lying on the deck. So James May shouts from the wheelhouse. He said, Jack Robertson, you haven attached it in the right place. I said, no, no, it's your fault. Anyway, long story short, we've always had a laugh over the years about it, Jim and the and and Jim related that to Tom Rossiter some years.
Speaker 1: Did you ever did you ever get it back? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, we did, of course, because you know it was it was poly ethylene, so it was floaty and we just turned around and picked it up. But there was James and I James and I the experiment, you know, it was, it was. It was not helped by not attaching it correctly. And I I can't I can't tell you need a few pints in a pub or you know, to really appreciate the funny side of that story. I can't really tell it.
Speaker 1: That would be a cracker, that story.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but you know that that that was great. But there were there were lots of stories with with all the guys, really, but the overriding.
Speaker 1: Have been a few suspectious of you.
Speaker 2: Well I suppose I suppose there were. But I'll tell you what, Jim, I I had a neat way of dealing with that. And the neat way, well, there's suspicionly high falutin scientists. I wasn't a high faluting scientist at all. I was just a practical man that was just interested in helping the industry out, you know. And they were all flabbergasted when I went down to the deck if there was any damage to the net. I did it in the early days, but not in the latter days on the bigger boats like the Kila and so forth. But when I was on the likes of the Harvest Reaper and a few other boats, smaller boats in the kind of sixty five foot class like the Idle Voice from Fraserberg as well. I used to help out if the crew were sorting the fish. For me, I would help out with a bit of repair if there was any damage to the net. Now I learned to repair nets. Would you believe that the Fishermen's Traller School in Aberdeen in nineteen seventy two and Alec Duffy was the ex Aberdeen skipper who ran that school, and he ran fabulous courses for young fishermen starting out in their careers. For there are various courses, you know, a week or three weeks or sometimes a month, et cetera. Net mending and navigation and all that kind of stuff you know for the apprentice fishermen. And when I joined the lab, the first thing that I asked the then leader of the fish capture group, John Foster, I said, look, I'd like to I'd like to learn how to mend. He said why would you want to do that, Jack, and said, well, you know our businesses nets, we need to know them inside out. So I went on a course to learn how to mend and I used that on the fishing boats in the early days. You know, I'd go down the day and the guys would say, did look at me? In amazement? Where are the earth did you learn how to mean? I said, well, I went to fisherman's supprentice school. Gee was And I think that opened their eyes. It really, it really did, Jim, because I was just down there with some doing it with them, and I think there were obviously they were impressed, but they were also I think they were just pleased. Well one of us, you're one of us, Yeah exactly. Yeah, yeah you're not. You're not above USh, You're you're you're down on the deck getting dirty with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's brilliant. Well done you as well. There must have been some There must have been in your time as well. There must have been some real personalities on board. We real characters.
Speaker 2: Oh, there were there were, And well there's some stories I can't relate here, Jim, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Some very unless you're back in the pub.
Speaker 2: Well yeah it would would. Yeah, we'd have to be in the pub for those with with no recording devices. But yes, I I I can't relate them. But yeah, there were there were tremendous characters. Every one of them were characters in their own way, and some of them have gone on to great things. I mean, you know, and with Tom Tom Harkas, his nephew was on board, Ian Harkas that you know very well, and and Lee Grot they went off and got bought their own boat. They all skier. And that's that's the thing that I observed a lot. And I was so delighted in a way to see that that crewman skippers would bring crewman on and encourage them to go off and get their own boats, et cetera. And Ian and and Lee went on and made great success of the all skier. Lee eventually took his his deep sea captain's ticket, didn't he. And I understand he's now up in Orkney. Yeah right, okay, so all skippering up there. So yeah, and.
Speaker 1: He's got a really fantastic job.
Speaker 2: Oh but and think about Tom's sons as well, I mean Peter. I understand that Peter's still fishing and still doing great things.
Speaker 1: They've built the boat Jack. They've got a boat they call it the West of Fiord, but if you go the West Fiord, but if they built it was built in Denmark. If you break that down really basically, and I'm sure you'll remember that day as we Tom himself west refiord an hour speak would be the Westry first.
Speaker 2: The Westry first, Yeah yeah, yeah, oh yeah. And names of boats are so important to them and that that family and to Tom.
Speaker 1: And listen, I'll tell you sorry, I'll just before all I was going to say on that one, Jack is when you when I think, I mean to Tom, Tom as we all know him, I would put him in top list as far as one of my closest friends, go back a long long time with them. But and this is what I often think back in the days when you were involved in the Square mesh and that's yeah, that was a Yes, he was a successful fisherman, but he had vision and he had for the future. And when you think of it, you ask a question. Yes, both Paul Peter is on board. But their son, so you could say Tom and Liz's grandsons they're on boarded as well. So when they hear the other dreaded word, he committed to the fishing like sustainability and looking at the future. That's why they're looking the future. I want it to be sustainable, Jack, and I give you ten the No. Twenty out of ten because you recognize that and what they're doing. But it's not just to make more money. Their sons and grandsons are coming through.
Speaker 2: Now, that's why I did it. And you know, all the fishing communities around Scotland, Bucky and Fezerberund, peter Head and so forth have been decimated, losty Mouth, decimated. Orkney's standing firm and they're standing firm because of the type of skipper that Tom harkass is and his sons, and I'm amazed and and Ian Harkis as well. You know, good luck to them. Keep going, keep pushing, keep doing it. But you've got to really unfold around selectivity of the fishing gear. But but the legislator have got to stop doing this continual increasing of square mesh size and the fishing industry losing marketable fish as a consequence. The industry have got to fight harder against the legislators to get their point across that yes, they want conservation and they want the juvenile fish to escape, but they must retain all of the marketable fish that enter the troll on a Halby Hall basis, because if they don't, they're going to have to end up doing more halls, more time at sea, more fuel consumption and so on. It's a fisious circle, but it's got to happen. Jim, if I may, can I just go back to the west of Jord. You know the meaning of the name. And I was delighted when I asked Tom Harkas the first time that I was away on the Kila where the name came from. He said that it was the Norwegian for a female cod and I thought, that is a fantastic name for a boat. Unbelievably good named for a boat. I very nearly I got a yacht many years ago, which I no longer have, but I very nearly called it Kila because I was so impressed by that name. But I didn't. I named it after the dog instead, Finn.
Speaker 1: But there you go.
Speaker 2: But oh, Jim, uh, you know, the industry have got to fight hard because they're they're being inundated by closed areas and so on and quatas and it just becomes mind boggling. I had. I had a quick look the other day at Scotland's future catching policy Selectivity Proposals Consultation from the Government twenty twenty six, which actually closed in just the consultation closed just recently, and I was I was flabbergasted, but also delighted to see that there is a proposal from the government that the full square mesh cort end be introduced into certain fisheries. So that was what I started off with, the full cot end with square meshes all the way around the court end, which is by far the best for release in juvenile had it cought and waiting, isn't Isn't that a credible incredible how things go around?
Speaker 1: It is? It is, And I'm not trying to make it turn that negative. But when you say about just say we were to say about how things are done now, I'll reiterate conversation for fairness to the guy will not mention his name, but I'm on scrubs their pier. A good friend of mine, Skipper, is on the key with me, just been landing his fish, and he had a letter in his hand, and this letter was from the Department mean directory with his basically the dos and don'ts, what he had to do, regulations and all he had that here to and he says to me, Jim, he says, I'm reading this letter and it's clearly shows me that this was done by somebody that has never been in a fishing boat in their lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, it's it's it's the same now as it was in my time. It was the lab. And that's that's why words fail me, actually, that it just carries on. I think one of the big problems is always that the scientists are potentially not very good at making their argument with the civil servants sitting behind the desk. I might be wrong in that, and certainly a lot of the scientists would take issue with that with me, But I found with all my selectivity work, you had to you really had to get a hold of them and set them down and show them the video, show them the data, talk it through, talk about the practical side of it, because they really have no conception at all, no conception. But it's worrying to hear that it's the same as it always was. But I would just reiterate to the fishing industry spend more time with the legislators. I mean, they're spending time with the scientific community and science and industry partnerships and all the rest of it, and that's all to the good, but you need to go further than that, you need to you need to shit the desks in Edinburgh, sit in the civil servants desks and talk to them a lot, a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But unfortunately it seems to be becoming the way and all industries now and all walks of life. It just seems that people sitting on desks and they're just all the legislation and anybody and everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't yeah, yeah, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 1: Almost now summed up would use it? Did square mesh help save fist stocks? What lesson still matters today?
Speaker 2: Well, definitely it saved the hurrican waiting because if you're Amber, in the early nineties nineteen nineties, the hurrican whiting stocks had been going down quite markedly and there was real concern in the industry. And if you look at the spawning stock biomass for the ten years following the introduction of square mesh, the spawning stock biomasses of hardock in particular and whiting as well started to rise very markedly. It's not entirely as clear nowadays as it might have been then, but definitely it helped hurrican whiting. It's all about the hurrican whiting.
Speaker 1: Do you think the fishing industry receives enough recognition for the conservation work it has contributed to over the years.
Speaker 2: Oh probably not. Actually, I think that there wasn't enough recognition given to anyone gym, to the fishing industry, or to scientists, although I think I was reading this. No, it's a very difficult question that I mean, in a sense, we don't want recognition. All we want is to save the babyfish and to increase the stock sizes, and that was my driving force all the time, and it was with the skippers as well. But no, I think that there was never an occasion at any meetings with the senior scientists and the fishing industry where the senior scientists would congratulate the industry for what they had done in the introduction of the squirmish panel or even taking part in the trials that they did. I mean, I recognized the skippers and I gave them the thanks that they deserved all the time. But no, they just didn't receive the recognition, either in the press or or or or anywhere else. There are many of those skippers who who should have been recognized for going above and beyond in the introduction of the square mesh that we were never were never recognized. I'm not sure where you're coming from, Jim. I mean, are you suggesting that they should have been given civil recognition you know, a war? No, not that, no, no, no, no, no, no, just just the fact that they had they had taken part and done it all. I think I think all the recognition. They're all recognized in all of the scientific papers that I produced, and indeed that other people have produced. But but you know, that doesn't go to a wide audience. And in the Earth early days, sometimes the fishing news would pick up on some of the trials that were done, and you know, the story would be told of what happened on the trial, and the skipper would be interviewed and give some comments. I suppose in a sense that was recognition of the fact that they were involved and so on. But no, I don't think anyone got enough recognition for what they did. It was it's it was a huge, huge thing of huge historical significance, the introduction of the square mesh and for that matter, the limiting of the number of messures on the cod end round as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and do you think what the dameser the losing cooperation between science and the industry.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, Jim, do you know, I think I'm so far removed from it nowadays that I can't really comment on that to any great depth, other other than saying that it appears to me that there is still cooperation between the industry. Just reading I picked up in the Fishing News just recently, I took a subscription out. I haven't had one for many a long year, and I got interested enough, and what I'm reading in the in the Fishing News suggests that there is still cooperation. But my fear is that as more of the scientific community is reduced by the government, which it apparently seems to be doing in the likes of the Marine Lab in Aberdeen. As they're reducing, there'll be perhaps less opportunity to get involved with and cooperate with the between the industry and scientists. But I'm sorry, Jen, I find'gult be in answering that, really, I feel enough.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you a quote it has given me in a podcast and by a guy I'm sure I'm almost positive you know very well you would have I'm sure you'd even even work in the lab with him. And what he reckoned was the biggest mistake made was putting a value on quota and license. Yes, yes, And he said, and his view was it was the end almost to the stage where he was at. Probably, well certainly I was at. We've all been at. Was young guys ambition was to be a fisherman and then to be skipper and eventually to have their own boat. And they said putting a value monetary value on the quota and the lycis that is now impossible. Unlets it's a fan or family of an owner, a fishing boat owner, that is impossible. Well you know that said that?
Speaker 2: Who is that?
Speaker 1: Dave McKay.
Speaker 2: Sorry Ian McKay, Oh, sorry, Dave mckaye, I'm miss misheard that, Dave McKay. Dave McKay is absolutely correct. Dave comes from a fishing family background as well. And and and Dave, Dave would have been horrified as I was with with the the putting a price on the quota. I always remember speaking to a skipper that I hadn't seen for quite a long time, how are you getting on and how's the fishing going? And he said, he says, I don't really know. Jack, He said, I'm not fishing. Oh, I said, why why aren't you fishing? Have you retired or come out of it or whatever. No, no, he said, I'm a slipper. Skipper. Now you know what that means, Jim. He's sitting in the house with his slippers on, and he's rented out his quota to other fishermen. So he's sitting at home, not fishing, not doing anything other than you know, taking cruises around the world. And it's wrong. It's wrong that somebody should hold quota in that manner that can be sold at very high cost to fishermen that are trying to get into the industry. It's wrong and it needs to stop.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And to the point where I was talking to a guy Irish and he was saying there he said, obviously they are still it was Southern Ireland, not Northern Ireland, and obviously they're still in the EU. And the way he described it, they were, you know, it was to do with the deathimation, the mark quote and how they've been treated by it. But he says, it's not come from Brussels, it's come from Dutch billionaires. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's who's got the powet.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I don't know any of the insine outs. But was it not the case a few years ago that there was a court case that was trying to stop this quota selling. I don't know anyway, it needs, it needs the government to to actually resolve it and take the quarta back for the fishermen rather than these people. It's it's shocking. It's absolutely shocking.
Speaker 1: It is it is. I Finally, when history looks back at square based panel development, what do you hope people understand about the work that was done in Aberdeen?
Speaker 2: Well, I just hope they see that for the period there was a need for a change in the way that we look at selectivity and a desperate need to save the juvenile fish as there had been for one hundred years before. Back to Holt in eighteen ninety five, back to Gelder in nineteen twenty eight, and so on. It just went. It was going on and on and on, and something needed to change. And I hope people might look back and say, well, wow, you know that was a big change and it was a good change and it helped. And let's hope that now the fishing industry into the future grasp it. The whole notion of making gears more selective, as long as they're practical, as long as as long as they can be handled well on the fishing boat, and use them to their benefit, use them to the benefit of the fishing industry, because you know, I go back to the old thing, that the point that I made in the early nineteen eighties. It's a food industry, it's fresh food, it's a food industry. We can't keep destroying juvenile fish the way that we've been doing over the years. We've got to let them grow to spawn and produce bigger stocks to keep the industry going. Jobs in the industry are very important as well. Jimmy Way, you remember Scotland. I don't know how many boats were around the ports in Scotland, but it's nothing like it used to be.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we'll just go ruin the buddy first, Jack, I mean there's hardly a boat and Bucky, you got Lossy Mouth, no boats and lots as a marina, Burghead, little little bit. Then you come round Helmsville, the village I'm from, there's no whitefish boats, lives, there no boats. There's one WUK registered whitefish boat now Jack and that's the boy Andrew Woow. When you think when you think my younger days, they would have been thirty or forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'd have.
Speaker 1: To see them all the way around. It's really sad.
Speaker 2: It's sad. But you know, I suppose you've got to get somebody on your your podcast, the people with the power who can change all that, you know, the administrators or the government officials, or the or the MP's, and get a plan to bring all that back. But well, oh dear, we can end up crying here.
Speaker 1: Jim, what would you going back from that? What would you like younger fishermen and scientists to understand.
Speaker 2: Just work for each other, and in particular the scientific community. Get the mindset that you are working to for the industry, to make it better, to improve fish stocks, to get more fish in the sea by using more selective gears. Forget about all the closed areas and the quotes and so forth. Just get into selectivity in a big way going forward. I would say that to young fishermen in particular, because youngsters these days can visualize better gear design and so forth, and just just do however difficult it seems, there's always a way with selectivity and fishing gear to make it manageable. And handleable on the vessel, and that's what you need, and that's what the scientists need to understand to give you. And I don't know, Jim, I get very uptight about the need for much more cooperation between the two. We had fantastic cooperation in the nineteen eighties up to the introduction of the Squirmish panel, and that was a very good time.
Speaker 1: What it's like.
Speaker 2: Bear in mind, Jim, that I left the Lab in nineteen ninety five. Since when I've not been involved with industry at all. So from nineteen nineteen eighty one to date, it's forty five years ago that I started experimenting with the square mesh. It's unbelieved able to think on it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we'll have a celebration for its fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: Let's do might need to have one earlier than that.
Speaker 1: We'll get Tom Harks along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, We've got all the skippers along. That'll be some sh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, have you online presence we're going to listeners fully Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not on social media or or anything. No, well, actually that's not true. I'm on Facebook, but it's just family and close friends, so I know I don't have any any means of being contacted.
Speaker 1: I would say, that's giving you a happy, live well answer. I'm just going to fold up. But I would honestly like to thank you. My goodness, Jack, You're going to good down in history. I have no question of that. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I hope it's in a good way.
Speaker 1: It's in a very positive way.
Speaker 2: It's well, thanks, Jim. I do appreciate you know. I love to talk about square mesh selectivity and saving the babies. That's what it's all about. Thank you ever so much.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was your words to me on the pier one night back in the eighties. Survive and thrive, Yes, survive and thrive.