Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C. Nelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our stellar guests and hear all about what splendid causes they're playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for a one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first four rounds today our General Knowledge Round Round one, General Knowledge, Thinking, caps on ladies, pencils at the ready, and the way we Go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge around here is question number one. The Hallmark Company owns the Hallmark Channel, of course, but also owns Crayola and what colorful character that came out in a cartoon as well as in doll form back in nineteen eighty four. I will repeat that question the Hallmark Company, they own a bunch of stuff. They own the Hallmark Channel, of course, but they also own Crayola making all the krans and markers and whatnot. And what colorful character that came out in a cartoon as well as in doll form in nineteen eighty four. That is your question number one? How do we feel after one question?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, unsure, Jackie.
Speaker 2: Do you know this?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't feel good either.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to really weird answers.
Speaker 2: And that's okay sometimes that Garners points here on the show if you come up with something that's hilarious or terrible or fantastic in any way, you get points. All right, Are we ready for question two? Yes, question mark?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Question two goes like this, Saopaolo, Brazil is located closest to what major line of latitude? And this is multiple choice. Is it the Tropic of Cancer, the equator, or the Tropic of Capricorn. The big city of Sao Paulo, Brazil is located very close to what major line of latitude? Is it the Tropic of Cancer, the Equator or the Tropic of Capricorn. For question number two, I.
Speaker 5: Did tell you I'm specifically bad at geography. I did tell you that on the questionnaire.
Speaker 2: I did tell you that I think this might be the only one. So I think I'm.
Speaker 5: Zero for two, and I don't like you right now, and I now know why I put off doing this for so long.
Speaker 1: I don't feel any better, so wete me. The same score is still.
Speaker 2: Let's see if we can get on the trolley with question number three. Question number three Back in two thousand and two, what Artists burst onto the music scene with her debut album come Away with Me and the hit single Don't Know Why.
Speaker 3: A story about this one, but I can't tell it because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll tell it when we do the answer. So again, to repeat question number three for everybody. Back in two thousand and two, artists burst onto the music scene with her debut album come Away with Me and the hit single Don't Know Why? All right? Question number four of eight in your General Knowledge round, Where in the human body would you find the humorous bone? Where in the body would you find your humorous bone? For question number four? Okay, I like question five. We'll see if you'd like it. Here we go. Question number five. Becoming popular in the United States and Europe back in the nineteen sixties and early seventies, What hip length tailored coat for men or women with a mandarin collar was named for the Prime Minister of India. I will repeat that one more time, question number five becoming.
Speaker 4: I don't know why you liked this question by.
Speaker 2: I think you've heard of this question number five becoming popular in the United States and Europe in the nineteen sixties and early seventies. What hip length tailored coat for men or women with a mandarin collar was named for the Prime Minister of India? And they didn't really call it a coat as much as they would call it a blank jacket. A blank jacket for number five fill in the blank, named after the Prime Minister of India.
Speaker 1: I'm drawing a picture of this as if that is somehow going to help you.
Speaker 2: I will give you a point if you draw this coat.
Speaker 4: I'll be really impressed if and A will insist to get points for drawing this accurately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if it's kind of close, I'll give you a point.
Speaker 4: And Google's giving me a lot of different answers, so really drawing could really ooh, as long as it's close to.
Speaker 2: One of these, right, all right, we're down to these three Question six of eight in your general knowledge round. Who wrote the short stories The Black Cat, The Pit and the Pendulum, and the Mask of the Red Death. He also wrote The Telltale Heart.
Speaker 3: Oh Jesus, oh yeah, gould have led with that.
Speaker 2: That's too easy. I want you to like poop a little bit and then be like, Okay, I got it again. For question number six, who wrote the short stories The Black Cat, The Pit and the Pendulum and the Mask of the Red Death. But it's probably most famously known for writing the short story The Telltale Heart for number six? All right, Question number seven. In the game of soccer, what two colored cards are given for misconducts on the pitch? One is a caution, and then there's another colored card that kicks the person out of the game. What are the two colors of those cards that a referee pulls out for misconducts on the soccer pitch? For number seven? Just the two colored cards. One is a caution and one ejects the player from the game.
Speaker 1: I should know this. I watched all of the Women's World Cup, and I think I know one of the colors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can get partial credit for one of the colors. All right. Question number eight, your final question in this general knowledge round. Thank the Lord. It's the final question. That's what I'm feeling like from from Marke contestants question number eight, What New Zealand actress has appeared in the film Heavenly Creatures and the TV shows Two and Half Men and Yellowjackets? Last name will suffice again for everyone playing at home. What New Zealand actress has appeared in the film Heavenly Creatures and the TV shows Two and a half Men and Yellow Jackets For question number eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's my mom's favorite actress, I think, and my daughter is an address and still was her daughter and Coyote Ugly.
Speaker 2: She has a very incredible IMDb. When I look through all of her stuff, I'm like, she's had an unbelievable career already, like so many different things.
Speaker 1: Now, Nora's questioning everything I am.
Speaker 2: Don't go with your gut. You know it all right, pencils down. We will go over our answers in just one second, but it's time to me. Are tremendous guests from Big d Dallas, Texas. You know her from the television show The Right Stuff Marin and one of my favorite films of all time, Brick. She also starred in Blood for Dust, which you can stream right now and has a lions Gate release Boneyard that's coming out July fifth, so it might be out already when this episode airs. Boneyard and Blood for Dust. My old pal Noura za Hetner is here. Great to have you on the show, Nora. You can follow Nora on social media at Nora ze Hetner on Instagram. Nora, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 3: Doctors Without Borders?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, one of our favorites. So win or lose, We're happy to make a donation in your name. Two Doctors without Borders. Now it's time to meet your opponent. She's been everywhere Lexington, Kentucky, Tallahassee, Florida. And then I think we have a Nitney Lyon in our ranks because she also was giving a shout out to State College in Sylvania. You know her from a Million Little Things on Hulu Thirteen Reasons Why. She directed a short film called Hollow that is playing the festival circuit and the next stop on the train for that one is Screamfest in Los Angeles. My new friend Alison Miller is here.
Speaker 1: New friend sand Truth.
Speaker 2: You can follow Alison Miller on social media at Alison E. Miller get the E in there on the Instagram. Alison, what charity are you playing for?
Speaker 1: I am playing for Anira A and eer A.
Speaker 2: Anira will win or lose. We are happy to make a donation in your name to ANIRA. You know the charities we are playing for today, you know the great contestants and all the works, all the things that are working on. But it's time to get down to brass tacks and go over our scores for the general Knowledge round seemed very challenging. Let's see how we do here, question number one of eight in the general now, drownd the Hallmark company owns the Hallmark Channel, of course, but also owns Crayola. And what colorful character that came out in a cartoon as well as in doll form back in nineteen eighty four? Nora, what did you come up with for number one?
Speaker 3: Strawberry shortcake?
Speaker 2: Rawberry short has nothing.
Speaker 3: To do with anything. I just liked strawberry shortkake. You had a doll and it smelled good.
Speaker 1: This is Oh, the scent was heavenly?
Speaker 3: Really was?
Speaker 2: Those were fantastic, Like being like a dude, You're like, you're playing with matchbox cars and g I Joe. It's like strawberry shortcakes smell yeah.
Speaker 1: We're all inhaling our dolls.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, for sure, Allison. Did you agree with that or did you go your own way? For number one?
Speaker 1: I had originally written down strawberry shortcake, but then I clued in on that one word and I went with rainbow bright.
Speaker 2: Oh, rainbow right, great guess The correct answer is it's rainbow bright.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Strawberry short cake was a good pull.
Speaker 2: That's the one I thought someone would pick. So you both were on like exactly what I was putting down. I thought, like, strawberry shortcake, rainbow bright, like yeah, but Allison is off the schneid. It's one to nothing after one. But great guesses all around. Question number two, Sou Paulo, Brazil is located closest. Is what major line of latitude the Tropic of cancer, the equator or the tropic of Capricorn. Allison? What did you put for number two?
Speaker 1: I just went with the first thing I heard because that felt good, the tropic of cancer.
Speaker 2: Tropic of cancer. Nora, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I was gonna go with the Tropic of cancer too, and then I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I just went with equator, which makes no sense because it's probably South America because it's south of the equator.
Speaker 2: But will well, Okay, so we have cancer and the equator. The correct answer is the tropic of Capracorn. Oh no, no, fil cancer, cancer is a little bit north of the equator. And then the one the south. It's like whatever, twenty three and a half degrees south latitude is Capricorn, and so Paulo, Brazil is south of the equator. Propic of Capricorn. Now we all know. But no harm, no fault. Question number three. I think we nailed this one. Back in two thousand and two, Artists burst onto the music scene with her debut album Come Away with Me, the hit single Don't know why I didn't? Uh, Nora, what did you put?
Speaker 3: Nora Jones?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's the same name as you.
Speaker 4: Went.
Speaker 3: We went to college together.
Speaker 5: A second, we used to eat lunch together because she was in the jazz hall, Bruce Jazz Hall, and I was in this program where you go two years early to college and for math and science for red and yet look, I don't know anything now. Apparently so because I dropped out after a year and that was probably problem. But I lunch and we would argue over whose name was spelled right. And because she has an H at the end of her Nora, clearly it doesn't need this H.
Speaker 3: It's just silly.
Speaker 5: But then I remember leaving school and I moved to La act and there was I just remember, I think it was like an l magazine and there was this tiny little blurb about Noura Jones and her tab and I was like, well, look at her.
Speaker 3: Good for her. She got a little tiny blurb in this thing. And then she exploded and then everybody started spelling my name with an H.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: She ruined it. She ruined your name, the silent H. I think a lot of Sarah's can understand your plight. There's a lot of Sarah's with an H or without. Alison, what did you put for number three?
Speaker 1: I also put Noura Jones, but I'm going to cross the H out on my paper a tribute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is Norah Jones for number three. What school was that?
Speaker 3: University of North Texas. They have a really good program.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. I didn't know that you both into North Texas. All right, Question number four, where in the human body would you find the humorous bone? Allison?
Speaker 1: I went in general with this one, and I said.
Speaker 2: The arm, the arm, Nora, what did you put for number four?
Speaker 3: Is it the arm?
Speaker 2: The arm in the arm. It is your arm, it's your upper arm. It's this bone right here between your elbow and your shoulder. Is your humorous That's why you get the funny bone, the humorous bone. For number four. He nailed it two in a row. Watch out question number five. Maybe I liked this question, but I should throw it in the trash. Becoming popular in the United States and Europe in the nineteen sixties and the early seventies, what Hiplank tailored coat for men or women with a Mandarin collar was named for the Prime Minister of India. Nora, What did you put for number five?
Speaker 1: It's a drawing.
Speaker 2: I told you you're totally getting a point. That is totally what it looks like. We have a drawing folks at home, and it's terrific. Alison, what did you put?
Speaker 1: Well, I wrote something, but then I also drew it. But mine is open and Norah's is closed.
Speaker 3: Oh you're such a really nice but that's an added level of detail, I believe I gave it it well.
Speaker 1: I made this sleeve far too short at the beginning, so I added on some fabric so that it would reach one's wrists.
Speaker 3: I would wear that well.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: This is a this is not a visual medium, but folks at home, I wish you could see these two drawings are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Like I can see the Beatles on Magical Mystery Tour wearing these sorts of GM.
Speaker 2: That is exactly right. I was gonna mention, like everyone was wearing these, like like talk show hosts, the Beatles, everyone in movies for a while. In a lot of movies, you're seeing this. It has a name, So now we know the name. You guys drew the pictures. You're gonna get the point. But it's a Neyhrew jacket, a Neyrew jacket named after the Prime Minister Nehru for India for number five. But those drawings will garner you a point a piece because you drew them very well.
Speaker 1: I even I wrote the nier jacket.
Speaker 2: I could not remember the name very close, very close, but yeah, it's h Juwar Halal Nehru is that Indian Prime minister question number six who wrote the short stories The Black Cat, the Pit, the Pendulum, The Mask of the Red Death, and the tell Tale Heart. Allison, I wrote, Edgar Allan Poe, Edgar Allan Poe, Nora, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I wrote, Edgar Alan Poe, Edgar.
Speaker 2: Allan Poe, Edgar Allan Poe. It is Edgar Allan Poe writing all those spooky short stories for number six. You guys are destroying this. You were so nervous and now you're just on a roll.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question number seven our sports I think our one off sports question for the game. We had a geography question, and now we have a sports question in soccer. What two colored cards are given for his conda on the pitch? One is a caution, while the other signals of players dismissal from the game? Miss Zahetner, what did you put for number seven? Yellow and red, yellow and red? Allison? What did you put?
Speaker 1: I also put yellow and red.
Speaker 2: Yellow and red yellow. You get a yellow card for a caution, you get to stay in the game. But if you get two yellow cards that will turn in two a red card, you're out of here, pal or ma'am. Yellow and red cards is what I was going for. That's a bunch in a row and Finally, question number eight of eight in your general knowledge round, what New Zealand actress has appeared in the film Heavenly Creatures and the TV shows Two and a Half Men, as well as Yellowjackets and a bunch of other stuff, Miss Miller, I put.
Speaker 1: The wonderful serial Melanie Linskey.
Speaker 2: Melanie Lynsky, Nora, what did you put?
Speaker 3: She is a magnificent actress. I also put Melanie Lynsky.
Speaker 2: It is, in fact Melanie Lynsky wonderful actress. For UH question number eight, Jackie's been tabulating our scores. Jackie, we have a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: Scoreboard update. I'm very excited about this update because I think these first two questions let us all down a very dark path. I think we were all feeling kind of pretty doom and gloom. But I have an amazing score update with Alison in the lead with seven and Nora just behind a six.
Speaker 2: Seven to six after one. I mean that's how we draw it up here. You should know better. It's a one point game. Good after one and again it usually people get three four points in the general knowledge round, so you guys getting seven and six.
Speaker 4: I think general knowledge is probably one of the hardest one.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It's usually the hardest round in the lowest scores. So you guys are destroying podcast. You should feel very good about yourselves. So it's seven to six after one. Alison in the lead over Nora as we enter round two of four, and it is our pop culture grab.
Speaker 3: Bag Round two pop Culture grab Bag.
Speaker 2: Today in the grab Bag, we're doing a movie round. Specifically, these are all movies from the year nineteen ninety nine. These are all movies that are twenty five years old, which is just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a good one.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna give you a brief synopsis for each of these. They all came out ninety nine. You just have to give me the title of the film. I think you're gonna do great. Here we go. Here's question one of eight in the grab Bag. An insomniac office worker and a Devil May Care soap maker form an underground club that evolves into much more. Nay Man for number one, I'll repeat it again. An insomniac office worker and a Devil May Care soap maker form an underground club that evolves into much much more.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was nineteen ninety nine. But you know this, Oh yeah, you do too.
Speaker 2: I'll repeat it again. I'll do it one more time. For question one, an insomniac office worker and a Devil may Care soap form an underground club that it evolves into much much more. All right, here's question number two. Movies from nineteen ninety nine. Three film students vanish after traveling into a Maryland forest to film a documentary on a local legend, leaving only their footage behind. Name that film for number two came out ninety nine. Three film students vanish after traveling into a Maryland forest to film a documentary on a local legend, leaving only their footage behind. Nor do you feel better about that one?
Speaker 1: I just learned some things about that yesterday, that particular movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the actors in this film have been making the rounds with some articles that you're just like, oh my gosh, we'll talk all about it.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued.
Speaker 2: It's not a good story, but they're great. The actors are great, but the story is kind of awful. Question number three of eight. A set of circumstances makes Anna Scott, a famous actress, fall in love with William Thacker, owner of a bookstore, but the paparazzis fascination with her complicates their bond. Big Fan, You're welcome again Question three. A set of circumstances makes Anna Scott, a famous actress, fall in love with William Thacker, owner of a bookstore, but the paparazzis fascination with her complicates their bond for question number three, Moving right along to question number four. In an animated tale, a young boy befriends a huge robot from outer space that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy. Name that wonderful film for question number four. In an animated tale, the young boy befriends a huge robot from outer space that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy. All right, Question number five from nineteen ninety nine. A group of male friends become I'm obsessed with five mysterious sisters who are sheltered by their strict religious parents in suburban Detroit in the mid nineteen seventies. Name Matt film Question number five. A group of male friends become obsessed with five mysterious sisters who are sheltered by their strict religious parents in suburban Detroit in the mid nineteen seventies. All right, Question number six. When a desperate movie producer fails to get a major star for his bargain basement film, he decides to shoot the film secretly around him. The hymn being Eddie Murphy. Question number six, When a desperate movie producer fails to get a major star for his bargain basement film, he decides to shoot the film secretly around him, the hymn being Eddie Murphy. Name that funny film for number six, We have arrived at your pen ultimate question in the pop culture grab bag. Today we're talking about movies from nineteen ninety nine. Question number seven goes like this. Three of the most popular girls at Reagan High accidentally kill the prom queen with the titular candy when a kidnapping goes horribly Wrongmember the name that film? Question number seven. Three of the most popular girls at Reagan Hey accidentally kill the prom queen with the titular candy when a kidnapping goes horribly wrong. For question numero siete, all right, And finally question number eight of eight, here we go. An Irish Catholic family returns to nineteen thirties Limerick after a child's death in America, the unemployed IRA veteran father struggles with poverty, prejudice, and alcoholism as the family endures harsh slum conditions in this film, based on the book by Frank McCourt. For number eight, again, an Irish Catholic family returns to nineteen thirties Limerick after a child to death in America. The unemployed IRA veteran father struggles with poverty, prejudice, and alcoholism as the family endures harsh slum conditions In this film, based on the book by Frank McCourt. Pencils Down, Let's go over your answers in the pop culture grab bag. These were all movies from nineteen ninety nine. Question number one. An insomniac office worker and a Devil May Care soap maker form an underground club that evolves into much more. Alison, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 1: I put Fight Club?
Speaker 3: You know, I you know, I saw so long ago.
Speaker 5: I actually remember very little about it. I remember Helen about him, Carter RE'SI and and she's very cool. It was Edward Norton, it was broad Pitt.
Speaker 1: That is it.
Speaker 2: But that's that's that's a lot, you know, A lot about it. What did you put? Did you put anything or did you put just to blame?
Speaker 3: I put I thought about for a few I told you, but I knew that wasn't it. I have no idea what I had? No idea?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have no idea and we have fight Club is the movie based on the book by Chuck Paulaniuk. It is fight Club Tyler Durden fight Club for number one. Question number two, three film students vanish after traveling into a Maryland forest to film a documentary on the local legend, leaving only their footage behind. Found footage, Nora, what did you put for number two?
Speaker 3: Blair Witch Project, the.
Speaker 2: Blair Witch Project. Allison, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I also put blair Witch Project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the blair Witch Project is correct for number two. Yeah. There's been articles recently because they're making new Blair Witch Project films that the original actors it was like a non union thing where they all made like two dollars, and they when it became such a huge success, they got like fruit baskets. They got like nothing for being part and they had to play dead pretty much for months as the movie was coming out. They didn't want them to do any press or anything. They couldn't go on shows or whatever. They they wanted this mystique. Dang nab it, but it is the Blair Witch. For number two. You both nailed it. Great job. Question number three. A set of circumstances makes Anna Scott, a famous actress, fall in love with William Thacker, owner of a bookstore, but the paparazzis fascination with her complicates their bond. Allison, I believe that is nodding Hill, nodding Hill. Nora, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put nodding Hill. I watched that movie a lot.
Speaker 2: It's a delight nodding Hill and notting Hill. It is nodding Hill for number three. Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant nodding Hill for number three. Question number four interesting question. In an animated tale, a young boy befriend's a huge robot from outer space that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy. Nora, did it come to you? For number four?
Speaker 4: It did?
Speaker 3: And but funny enough. I actually have never seen this movie, Wally.
Speaker 2: All E, Oh my god, what a great movie. Allison. What did you put? For number four?
Speaker 1: I put the Iron Giant?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, iron Haha, wall E, we have the Iron Giant. The correct answer is the Iron Giant for number four. That's what I was going Paul. Question number five, a group of male friends become obsessed with five mysterious sisters who are sheltered by their strict religious parents in suburban Detroit in the mid nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Allison, but the Virgin suicide.
Speaker 2: Virgin Suicides by Sophia Coppola. Nora, what did you put?
Speaker 3: Put the Virgin Suicides?
Speaker 2: Virgin Suicides is correct for number five? Question number six, When a desperate movie producer fails to get a major star for his bargain basement film, he decides to shoot the film secretly around him, the hymn being Eddie Murphy and his character Nora, what did you put for number six?
Speaker 3: This was just like it's real shot in the dark.
Speaker 2: Orbit Orbit Great. I guess that was a weird kind of deep cut Eddie Murphy film for show or norbit. Alison, what'd you put?
Speaker 1: I believe it's obvious that it was the music video for Party all the time.
Speaker 2: That answer deserves a huzza. Oh my god, really good.
Speaker 1: It's like so cinematic. Can really feel the Steve Martin in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll put you out of your misery. It wasn't party all the time or norbit. Movie is called bow Finger, bow Finger.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I did see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy Bofinger. For number six, no harm, no file, though, it's all good. Question number seven, Three of the most popular girls at Reagan High accidentally killed a prime queen with the titular candy when a kidnapping goes horribly wrong. Alison, that's going to be a jawbreaker jaw breaker? Nora, what did you put?
Speaker 5: I put jawbreaker with my most beautiful, lovely friend, Rebecca Gayheart.
Speaker 2: That's great, it is jawbreaker. For number seven, you both nailed it. And finally, question number eight, an Irish Catholic family returns to nineteen thirties Limerick blah blah blah. It's based on that book by Frank McCourt. Nora, Angela's ashes, Angela's ashes, Alison, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I put Angela's ashes.
Speaker 2: Angela's ashes is correct? Not bad ladies? All right, Jackie, how are we doing at halftime? Here? We did the pop culture grab bag. These were movies from ninety nine. Jackie's tabulating the scores. What do we got? We've got.
Speaker 4: We're going into round three with some very interesting scores. It could still go either way. We have Noura with eleven you got five in that round, and Alison with fourteen.
Speaker 1: She got seven.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, a nod of eight Allison, So it's fourteen to eleven.
Speaker 4: I thought you were going to do perfect and then Bowfinger took you out.
Speaker 2: Ye, So at halftime it is fourteen to eleven. Allison's in the lead over Nora. We're here with Nora's thee Hetner. You can follow her on social media at Nora' Zeetner on Instagram, and she's playing for Doctors Without Orders. And we're here with Alison Miller. You can follow her on social media at Alison E. Miller on Instagram, and she's playing for anira A n E r A. As we enter our third of four rounds between you two, it is the dreaded Lightning round Round three, the Lightning round. Nora, you are trailing, so you get to go first, and you could choose from these three categories that have nothing to do with the question you're about to receive. Nora. It's answers. But I think we were just talking about party all the time by Eddie Murphy, that hit single he had back in the eighties. So we're gonna talk. You can choose different parties to attend. You want to go to a pool party, a pajama jammy jam party, or a dance party. Dance party, dance party, U S and A.
Speaker 3: I'm really nervous. This seems really stressful.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, you're not writing stuff down per se this. Yeah, Diary of the Mouth is the name of the game re association. I'm gonna say the question twice. I'm gonna say go, I'm gonna hit the button on my phone. You're gonna have twenty seconds to give me as many answers as possible. Alison jot some answers down because I'm gonna come straight to you with your five second rebuttal when Nora's twenty seconds are up, Norah, here is your dance party Lightning round question. What I want to know from you? I want to know the top nine SNL Saturday Night Live female cast members that have had the most episodes. So these are female cast members that have been in many, many seasons of SNL. Top nine SNL female cast members with the most episodes twenty seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 5: Tina Fey, Amy Pohlar, I Kate McKinnon, I don't watch SNL. Yeah, I know, I know, I know, I'm sup.
Speaker 3: Just to keep going. There's a lot of people in SNL.
Speaker 2: There's stop. You got three, you nailed three, you got number one on the list. Kate McKinnon's got the most episodes as of right now. Kate McKinnon number one. You got number five with Tina Faye, and right behind her at number six, you have Amy Pohlar your five second rebuttal Alison to see if you can steal some answers here five seconds on the clock. Top nine SNL female cast members with the most episodes under their belts five seconds and.
Speaker 1: Go, Lorraine Newman, Kristin Wigg, Molly Shannon, Cecily Strong.
Speaker 2: I think it's the last stop. Stop. You stole two. You got Cecily Strong under the wire. So you got Kristin Wig and Cecily Strong. Cecily Strong's number two right behind Kate McKinnon.
Speaker 3: Shocking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let's go over the ones. We didn't get to number three. Surprisingly eighty Bryant. Eighty Bryant was on a bunch with Kate McKinnon and Cecily. Number four, will make your eyes roll, Maya Rudolph, Maya.
Speaker 3: Rudolph of course, Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Number seven she was on a bunch with Tina Fay and Amy Pohlar days was Rachel Dratch worse right and then with her big bright smile, she's on that new Showtime show of Vanessa Bayer Vanessa Bayer. Number eight. But you did, you did great in the dance party question. And now Alison, it's your turn in the barrel. You could choose from either a pool party or a pajama party for your question.
Speaker 1: Well, I prefer to sleep alone, so I'm going to go with the pool party.
Speaker 2: All right, pajama party, you're just gonna have to go pound sand. You will be in another game down the road. So here is your pool party question. I'm gonna say it twice twenty seconds to give me as many answers Norah jots some answers down because I'll come straight to you with your five second bottle as soon as Allison's twenty seconds are up. Here's your pool party lightning round question. What are the nine countries that share a border with the large European country of Germany Germany. What are the nine countries that share a border with Germany? Twenty seconds on the clock.
Speaker 6: And go uh Switzerland, France is not right, not Kosovo, Belarus, Croatia, Estonia.
Speaker 2: Stop. You got to you got to, you got to. You got h Switzerland and France does border Germany. So you got Switzerland and France as two of the nine. Nor are your chance to steal some answers here? Again your pool party question? What are the nine countries that share a border with Germany? Five second rebuttal and, go.
Speaker 3: Sweden, Poland. I don't know what's Germany, Germany, Poland?
Speaker 2: Poland is one, So you stole one with Poland Poland. So let's go over the ones we didn't get to. Right on top of Germany, Scandinavia. Like in between Germany and Sweden, you have Denmark. Denmark was over Germany. Then you have the Czech Republic, the Czech Republic. If you're going to Praja or Prague, you're going to the Czech Republic. Austria right there with Switzerland and Germany. Then you have kind of the low the what do they call it the low countries. You have Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands. All three border Germany a little bit Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. So Jackie, after a very crazy lightning round, what's our scoreboard update the lightning round.
Speaker 4: You both got the same the exact same amount of points as each other in that round, So our score is Alison in the lead with eighteen and Nora just behind with fifteen.
Speaker 2: Holy smokes, we still have a three point game after the lightning round. After three as we head into our fourth and final round between you two ladies, Round four, the Double Duty. That is the Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe round. We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions instead of eight, so there are eighteen very important points that are up for grabs today. In the Double Duty, we're going to do a category all about famous books and famous plays. We're doing books and plays. Here is question one of nine. Sancho Panza is the simple farm laborer that becomes the squire for what knight who sets out to revive chivalry and serve his country. Name that famous book For number one, Sancho Panza is the simple farm laborer that becomes the squire for what night? Who sets out to revive chivalry and serve his country? For number one? All right, number two? Here we go. For number two. What Shakespeare play features the characters Prospero, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban all on a remote island. Name that Shakespeare play? For number two? What Shakespeare play features the characters Prospero, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban all on a remote island For question numerodos? All right? Question number three in the Double Duty, written as a letter to his then teenage son, tan Na Hesi Coats, Between the World and Me was inspired by what author's nineteen sixty three novel The Fire Next Time? So question number three goes like this, Written as a letter to his then teenage son, the author Tana Hasey Coats. His book Between the World and Me was directly inspired by what author's nineteen sixty three novel The Fire Next Time. It was another novel where it was kind of a letter written to your son or written to a younger man. The hazy Coats, Yeah, kind of wrote a similar thing, more modern version of this nineteen sixty three author's novel The Fire Next Time they met author for number three, all right, Question number four of nine. Martha and George and Nick and Honey are the two couples, and what Edward Albi classic? So play and a film? Martha and George and Nick and Honey are the two couples and what Edward I'll be classic? For question number four? All right, Question number five. Michelle Zoner wrote her twenty twenty one memoir Crying in h Mart and as the singer guitarist for the musical project Japanese What Japanese What? She's the singer guitarist of a band called Japanese What. And then just a few years ago she wrote like number one memoir bestseller twenty twenty one called Crying in h Mart. Iad it. It's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had no idea that that was the same person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, michelle'sonner. Her musical project where she's kind of the singer and guitarist is called Japanese What. Fill in the blank for number five. All right, Question number six, We're getting down to the nitty gritty question of the importance of being earnest. A trivial comedy for serious people was a play by what Great? Who wrote the Importance of Being Earnest? For number six? So again for number six, the Importance of Being Earnest? That's easy for me to say, A trivial comedy for serious people, which I love that kind of it's hilarry title was a play by what Great? For number six? All right, question number seven, We're down to our final three questions here in the Double Duty Radcliff Rown. These are all questions about famous books and plays. Question number seven, Redheaded Pippy long Stocking hails from what country? Pippy long Stocking? That ginger with the pigtails hails from what country? For number seven? So again, question number seven, Redheaded Pippy Longstocking? Where's she from? What country? Does she hail Fromnumber eight? Going back to plays and playwrights? Who wrote the plays The Seagull, Uncle, Vanya, Three Sisters, and probably most famously, The Cherry Orchard. Same playwright wrote all these plays? For number eight? Who wrote the plays The Seagull, Uncle Vanya, Three Sisters and The Cherry Orchard? For number eight? All right, number nine, we're here.
Speaker 5: This is it.
Speaker 2: It could all come down to this question number nine. Donna who wrote the novels the Secret History, The Little Friend and the Goldfinch, Eil in the blank, Donna who wrote those best selling novels, The Secret History, The Little Friend and the Goldfinch for number nine.
Speaker 1: She knows it, she knows it. It's my favorite. She's my favorite.
Speaker 3: This is where Alison demolish is movie because I did this around. Okay, let's go, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 2: We'll find out. Pull the band aid, pull the band aid pencils down. We will go over your answers for the Theodore Double Dowdy Radcliff round. Today we were talking about books and plays. Question one of nine was Sancho Panza as the simple farm laborer that becomes the squire for What Night, who sets up to revive chivalry and serve his country. Nora, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 3: I wrote no Idea, No Idea.
Speaker 2: That was the sequel to No Exit. Alison, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 1: Sounds so melancholy? I put don Quixote.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, don Quixote de la Mancha, man of la Mancha. It is don Quixote for number one. That's Miguel Servantes's classic Don Quixote for number one. Two big points for Alison. Question number two our Shakespeare question. What Shakespeare play features the characters Prospero, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban on a remote island Allison.
Speaker 1: Little Mermaid? No, the tempest is what I the tempest?
Speaker 2: Nora? What did you put?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably the tempest, but that's not what I wrote.
Speaker 2: Did you name?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: I feel like I've heard Prospero tossed around quite a bit.
Speaker 5: So then that led me to believe perhaps it was just Romeo and Juliet, which is, you know, you know why not?
Speaker 3: But I don't know about this remote island business. I don't think Romeo and Juliette was on a remote island.
Speaker 2: So that really Uh, Romeo and Juliet did spend one spring break in South Padre though, in Texas. I think I think that's on the Wikipedia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I with like the modern version, Yeah, you're spring breakers. There's like guns and Hawaiian shirts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we have Romeo and Juliet and we have the Tempest. The correct answer is the Tempest. For number who Allison's taken charge so far in the Double Duty, we both wrote it Downie. Question number three, written as a letter to his then teenage son Tana Hesse Coates is Between the World and Me was inspired by what author's nineteen sixty three novel, The Fire Next Time. I've read this book and it's extraordinary. I've read both of them, but The Fire Next Time blew me away. Nora, what did you put for number three? James Baldwin, James Baldwin, j B Ali? What did you put for number three?
Speaker 1: I also put James Baldwin, an.
Speaker 2: Idle, James Baldwin and James Baldwin. Ah, the correct answer is James Baldwin. You nailed it, Okay, two big points a piece for James Baldwin for number three. Question number four, Martha and George and Nick and Honey are the two couples? And what Edward alb Classic Allison.
Speaker 1: Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf?
Speaker 2: Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf? Or what did you put for number four?
Speaker 3: Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf?
Speaker 2: It came to you Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf? An incredible, incredible play and film. Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf? For number four? All right, now we're rocking and rolling. Question five. Michelle Zonner wrote her twenty twenty one memoir Crying in h Mart and as the singer guitarist for what musical project? Japanese? What Japanese? Fill in the blank? Nora, what did you put for number five? Japanese paper Plane? Of course I love that.
Speaker 3: I just think, I just I mean, that's gonna be my band name.
Speaker 1: That's an adorable name for a bin. You should do that.
Speaker 2: I like their early stuff.
Speaker 1: They kind of lost the plot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by their fourth.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety nine album was good. Only knew one chord.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they're touring. They're touring their twenty twenty fifth anniversary where they're just going to play that album in its entirety. Alison, what did you put for number five?
Speaker 1: I think it's Japanese Breakfast.
Speaker 2: We have Japanese paper Plane, we have Japanese Breakfast. The correct answer Michelle Zahner's band is Japanese Breakfast, Okay for number five, A Japanese Breakfast is the correct answer for number five. Question number six, The Importance of Being Ernest, a trivial comedy for serious people, was a play by what Great? Alison?
Speaker 1: I believe it was Oscar wild Oscar Wilde, he is great.
Speaker 2: Nora, what did you put Oscar Wild, Oscar Wild and Oscar Wild. He is one of my favorites of all time. It is the wonderful Oscar Wild. For number six. That wrote that play the Importance of Being Earnest? Question number seven, Redheaded Pippi Longstocking hailes from what country? I need the country? For number seven? Nora, I didn't know, but I.
Speaker 5: Decided Germany because I feel like they're all kind of pervy, and she just seems like a pervy.
Speaker 3: Character and that.
Speaker 2: Deserves a sploshe great deductive reason. There is that chapter all about Shiza. That's not true. There is no Shiza stuff in if be long Stacking, Alison, did you? But for number seven, I just.
Speaker 1: Thought that the Swedes were really pervy, so I put Sweden.
Speaker 2: Germany and almost a neighbor to Germany that we learned in the Lightning Round. It is Sweden. It is Sweden, written by a Swede, and it is Sweden. For numbers.
Speaker 5: It was actually my first thought, and for some reason, I was just like, no, no, no, I'm just gonna go with Germany.
Speaker 2: You always go with the pervs. Question number eight of nine. Who wrote the plays The Seagull Uncle Vanya, Three sisters and the Cherry or Allison.
Speaker 1: It was Chekhov, Chekhov.
Speaker 2: Nora, what did you put for number eight?
Speaker 3: I didn't write that, but yeah, it's obviously.
Speaker 2: Chekhov, Anton Chekhov. It wasn't Henrik Ibsen or August Strindberg.
Speaker 3: It was check off. But that's not what I wrote. I wrote. I wrote rote target off. I don't know why I'm done.
Speaker 2: You were going way too deep cut on this one. I yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's a film director.
Speaker 2: Correct, It's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 3: I just like I just like throwing names down. But it's obviously checkof.
Speaker 5: It was one of those weird things where it was like, I know this, but I don't know it. I can't think of it. It's not coming to my head.
Speaker 2: It didn't come to you in time. It's Anton Chekhov that wrote all those wonderful plays for number eight. And finally, question didn't she You didn't cheat, which is half the battle. We appreciate you and your honesty. Question number nine. I think you both nailed this. One of your favorites. Donna, who wrote the novels The Secret History, The Little Friend and The Goldfinch finished strong za Hetner, What did you put for number nine, I.
Speaker 5: Put tart, and I'd like you to know it has two teas, and I'd like you to know I'd like an extra point for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I could give you like a few points for Donna Tart.
Speaker 3: I'll still lose, just like make it more respectable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Allison, what did.
Speaker 1: You put white perte?
Speaker 2: I also put tart, Donna tart, and Donna tart. That is correct. So Jackie's tabulating our scores. Just make it so that za Hetner loses by one. We'll tell We'll give you the.
Speaker 4: It's actually really interesting because the extra tea and tart really bumped things up, and because of the way that this double duty bad cliff round shakes out, the final score ended up being Nora with thirty four and Alison with thirty six.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh my gosh, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I'm just like so close, just like if I'm close.
Speaker 2: You know, Jackie is a student of the New New Math. Isn't very good? Those scores are incredibly respectable, very very high scores from the both of you. Alison E. Miller, you are, in fact the smartest person in the world.
Speaker 1: For one week, all of my neighbors can see me doing this, and I'm I'm smarter than all of you for right now.
Speaker 2: Yep. The clock starts sticking, though. As soon as this game is over, you have one week to gloat. Great game, So let's talk about who's here again. Nora's a Hetner. You can follow her at Nora Zehetner Instagram. We're happy to make a donation in her name to Doctors Without Borders. Watch her on all these great shows, the right stuff, Maren, check out the movie Brick. She's also got a movie called Blood for Dust, which you can stream right now. And then she's got a Lionsgate release Boneyard that's coming out July fifth. And then our champ, Alison Miller. You can follow her on social media at Alison E. Miller on Instagram. We're happy to make a donation in her name to ANIRA and watch her on A Million Little Things on Hulu thirteen Reasons Why, and look out for her short that's taking the festival circuit by storm. It's called Hollow and she'll be at Screamfest in Los Angeles. Great game, but the game is not over, because it's time for Jackie Gonzales de Ruthie to take over for our final throwdown question the final throwdown.
Speaker 4: It's a final throwdown. I know you you spent time filling out a questionnaire so Mike could make you a beautiful game.
Speaker 1: Cater to you. I did not look at that. This is not cater to you.
Speaker 4: You know, it's just it's a fun fact that I most recently learned. And so it is sports. It's the NHL Finals for the Stanley Cup and I'm watching them. I have not watched any of the previous season of the season that I am from Miami, and the Panthers are in the finals and I'm having a blast. Uh, I'm having a great time.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: They just they almost you have to get best out of seven, uh, first to four wins. They almost did. They got three, so it was looking like and it looked like they were going to sweep it and then and then they got crushed. Crushed, So they will continue to play. But the last time a NHL finals, so best as seven got swept. That means one team won four and the other team won zero. Happened? Has it happened in history? And if it has happened, how many years ago did it happen?
Speaker 2: Okay, so has a team just been swept in the NHL finals, the Stanley Cup finals, because there's been lots of sweeps in the playoffs in hockey. But yeah, you're right, I don't think it happens where one team just gets skunked and the other teams just from railroad.
Speaker 4: You guys are allowed to chit chat. This is not like competitive. You guys are just having a good time trying to figure this out.
Speaker 2: So Nora's from Dallas.
Speaker 5: Before I contribute nothing, I'd like everybody to know that I did very well in the Sunday Crossroad this morning.
Speaker 4: This is truly a guessing game, and the guessing being like has this happened before? And then if it has, like how many years do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it it has happened before, because I think it happened to my favorite team, the Chicago Blackhawks. I've been a Blackhawks fan for many, many years, and they won three Stanley Cups, like in the span of like six years, from like twenty ten to twenty fifteen, they won three Cups. So I was watching playoffs left and right, and I think it has happened before. And the one I can remember that they got swept by was Mario Lemieux and the Pittsburgh Penguins and it was like nineteen ninety two or something. But I think maybe it's happened in between that. But that would be my guess. Allison. Have you watched hockey at all? You have teams that you've watched in the past.
Speaker 1: I pretended to date a Boston Bruins player on a television show one time. It's as close since I've gotten to hockey. Actually, I watch a one La Kings game because I got a free ticket.
Speaker 3: Nora Dame I did the same.
Speaker 2: Live hockey is the best. I think it is the best sport to watch live. And playoff hockey is outrageous, Like if you can ever go to a playoff game, even if you don't know shit about hockey, energy in a building during a playoff, you know, especially if you're Stanley Cup and it's the finals, Like it's just outrageous. So that's all. I think, that's all we got. I'd throw out that one because I know the black Hawks got swept. They they ran into the Pittsburgh Penguins and it was like Mario Lemieux and Yarmor, Yager and they just kicked our ass. We couldn't beat them, so that would be my guest. But let's let's find out.
Speaker 4: I know very little about hockey as well, but this is I was like, wow, it's been a while. It's been twenty six years the last time that that happened, and it's still the run is still going.
Speaker 1: It did not happen.
Speaker 4: It was in nineteen ninety eight the Red Wings in the Capitals.
Speaker 2: Oh the Caps got skunked. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: I don't even know which one.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, you're the.
Speaker 2: Capitals because Detroit, Detroit had to run the Red Wings. They have a moniker called they're called hockey Town because they won three or four Cups in the span of like a decade, and like it was from like right around nineteen ninety three or four to like nineteen ninety eight, they won like four Cups or something that we got called hockey Town. And the Capital's just won their first one in a long time or ever with Alex Ovechkin just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just add some fun stakes to next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, though, Like you don't want to get swept. You make it that far, you win three playoff series and then you get to the finals. And then you lose four games in a row and you're like, get out of here. You don't get anything you lose here. Yeah, awesome, that was a good question, Jackie. I like that we all learned a little something something before we set our goodbyes. But ladies can't thank you enough, and we're happy to make donations in your names for those charities and wish you continued success in all you do.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Allison. You're so smart. I've always known you were so smart, and now it's official.
Speaker 1: That's very well, it is official. But that's very generous and kind of you to say, because you're also very smart.
Speaker 3: Ah, thank you. See you next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 7: Want to help out the podcast, please subscribe to You Should Know Better. Wherever you listen to podcasts, Rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the Massons. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram. Until next week. Take care of yourselves and each other. We're all in this together. And then the immortal words of Harry Carey.
Speaker 2: So long everybody, You Should Know Better? As produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson. Edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voiceover talent Natalia Castelianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico