Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: It's time for swamp watch right now.
Speaker 4: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops. Here we got the.
Speaker 2: Real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 4: The other side never quits.
Speaker 3: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 2: So now you train the.
Speaker 4: Squat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 5: You know, Americans have always been going a president, but they're not stupid.
Speaker 3: A political flunder is what a politician actually tells the truth. Whether people voted for you with not swampa wash, they're all canonoed. Glad you got that all out of your system too. Okay, the President, let's go down some of these sound bites from earlier today. President President Trump from the White House was talking about multiple things. I think the most timely was his announce that an American hostage held by Hamas was released today.
Speaker 2: I thought he was dead just a short while ago. His parents are so happy. They're so happy.
Speaker 4: So he sounds so.
Speaker 2: The only American citizen captured.
Speaker 3: I think he has a cold.
Speaker 4: And he doesn't like captured.
Speaker 2: Remember Comas since October seventh, twenty twenty three, and he's coming home to.
Speaker 4: Why didn't you break free from Hamas?
Speaker 3: Aiden Alexander was turned over to the Red Cross by Hamas and then picked up by an Israeli Defense Forces special unit. They're doing medical, psych evaluations, et cetera before he before he gets to be reunited with his family. In terms of the ceasefire that appears to have solidified between Pakistan and India, President Trump said he just held the carrot of Okay, you don't want anything from the United States that apparently.
Speaker 6: We're going to do a lot of trade with you guys. Let's stop it. Let's stop it. If you stop it, we'll do a trade. If you don't stop it, we're not going to do any trade. People have never really used trade the way I used it. That I can tell you.
Speaker 3: But the whole reason that he was even there today at the White House, at least the announced reason, was he was going to sign an executive order to reduce the cost of prescription drugs in the United States, saying we have been taken advantage of for decades.
Speaker 1: So he is talking about what what does he have power over. When you weighed your executive order into the business world, it gets a little cloudy because, make no mistake about it, pharmaceutical company is a business world. Is it the fact that the drugs we're using to cut our drugs or part of our drugs, a lot of them coming from China, are too expensive? Is this in coordination with the ninety day truth in the trade war? I don't know, But I don't know what an executive order can do to reduce As much as I think that's great, it sounds wonderful, what can it actually do.
Speaker 3: Well, there's an interesting political Well there's the legal case, right, which is your legal question. There's also a public relations question here. So President Trump comes out and says he wants to lower prescription drugs by doing by implementing what he referred to as a favored nation's policy.
Speaker 2: Basically, what we're doing is equalizing. There's a new word that I came up with, which I think is probably the best word. We're going to equalize where we're all going to pay the same. We're going to pay what Europe's going to pay. We're going to all pay. Now, there may be some countries in dire need, and I would be willing to sacrifice that and help them, but it's called most favored nation. We are going to pay the lowest price there is in the world.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that is the plan for this executive order. That's the legal question is how far can go and do the prescription drug companies have to follow it. The second part of it is the pr aspect of this. President Trump knows that by putting his cards out on the table, calling out pharmaceutical companies and saying, you are charging us the United States way too much money for these drugs that you're selling for ten percent that price somewhere else. Oh, that's the ease.
Speaker 1: That's the government's fault, because they're the ones who tell Medicare and Medicaid what they're going to pay for the drugs that they're giving to people on those programs. I mean, this for people of private insurance is probably going to be nothing. But will it mean that those contracts to Medicare and Medicaid that Medicare and Medicaid give to the pharmaceutical companies are smaller. That would be a great thing if he came out and said, too long, the government's been in bed with the pharmaceutical companies.
Speaker 4: In the form of us.
Speaker 1: Choking on the amount of money they're charging us via Medicare and Medicaid. We're in bed with them, and that relationship is now over, and we're going to pay just as much. Medicare and Medicaid are going to pay just as much as other companies pay for these pharmaceutical drugs.
Speaker 4: What have you like?
Speaker 1: That's one thing I mean, because there's no doubt about it that Medicare and Medicaid over pay for the drugs that they're giving to the people on the federal dole because the government's in bed with the pharmaceutical companies.
Speaker 3: Well, and then the pr aspect of it is do the pharmaceutical companies push back against this and how yeah, and how how hard do they do it? How publicly?
Speaker 4: You want to talk about a trade war?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I mean. Big pharma is going to have to come out and explain to us why the ten dollars pill in France costs one hundred and ten dollars here.
Speaker 1: Because our politicians say that's okay because they're getting kickbacks from those drug companies.
Speaker 3: And that's the That's what I think the genius of the move for Trump is, Okay, you guys want to you guys want to explain that, you guys want to all this out and there.
Speaker 4: Why is he doing that though?
Speaker 1: Like that's what could you imagine a politician, the lead politician in America coming out and saying, the politicians have been in bed with the pharmaceutical companies for too long. They're able to charge our programs, Medicare and Medicaid to the tilt, the tilt, hilt, hilt to the hilt because they know they can get away with it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm saying no more.
Speaker 3: Well and no, that would be huge. He did have his you know, three of his big medical team up there, I guess you could call it. He had RFK Junior, He had doctor Oz who's in charge of Medicare and Medicaid services.
Speaker 6: This is the most powerful executive order on pharmacy, pricing, and healthcare ever in the history of our nation.
Speaker 3: And then he also had Jay Botichari out there, so he's got the the health care credentials behind him. Uh, those three guys have zero problem pulling the curtain back on big pharma.
Speaker 1: I mean, if this is the case, if Trump saying no more gravy train from the government to pharmaceutical companies in a form of bloated prices for Medicare and Medicaid patients.
Speaker 4: If you don't like him, you still.
Speaker 1: Have to say, this is cool, this is good, This is showing backbone, because guess what, most Americans are running their stuff through Medicare and Medicaid and it's going to benefit you. I mean, he's not selling it that way. If that's the fact what it is, I agree.
Speaker 3: I think there could be some tweaks to the messaging, yeah, but in general it is it is a positive step, all right. Up next, unsolicited pizza deliveries. Why they are so nefarious, at least in the eyes of some judges who've been getting these fake pizza.
Speaker 4: If somebody sent to us a pizza, do you think we would, for one?
Speaker 3: What's wrong pizza?
Speaker 7: Seriously, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand, I'm kfi A.
Speaker 3: Six forty federal judges say that in February some of them started noticing unsolicited pizza deliveries.
Speaker 1: That These deliveries may number in the hundreds across at least seven states. At least one Senate leader has called for a Justice Department investigation. Now, many of the deliveries have gone to judges proceeding over lawsuits challenging the Trump administration different policies. US Marshals has been tracking the deliveries and judges have been sharing all the details in hopes of finding out more about who's behind this. Some of the deliveries have gone to judges relatives. Some in recent weeks have been placed in the name of US District Judge Esther Sallis's son, Member Daniel ondarl He was fatally shot shot and killed at the family home in Jersey by an attorney who posed as a delivery person. US Sister Circuit Judge j Michelle Child serves in Washington's as She's received seven anonymous pizza deliveries at her home in the past few months, one shortly after she took part in a ruling against the administration in a lawsuit over the firing of an independent government watchdog. It's unsettling because I'd like to go to work every day, even with the hardest case. Just feeling like there's no sense of intimidation. Unfortunately, as we all learn, those judges addresses are pretty easy to find.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Judge Sallas, by the way, Esther Sallas, this is the one whose son was killed. She said it went from she's watched this over the last few months and is concerned that something that visited her family would be visited upon some other judge. And she said it went from judges getting pizzas, then judges children getting pizzas, then to judges getting pizzas or their children getting pizzas that they didn't order, and they were done in Esther Sallis's son's name. This is a terrifying move and the I mean granted a full faith and confidence in the US Marshall Service that they'll be able to do this. Here's what I don't understand about. Even if you did this as a prank. If I ordered a surprise pizza for you that you didn't know was coming, and I said, my name is Shannon, and I would like a pizza delivered to my house and they say, how are you going to pay for it? And I say, I'm going to pay for it with a credit card, And then I give them a credit card because I do it, because you have to have a fake credit card, right, or you can say with PayPal or I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 4: Uber eats, you send a pizza.
Speaker 3: But even then there's a record of who would have provided the funding for such an operation, is there if you.
Speaker 4: Use like Apple cash or something like that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not planning on doing that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a huge waste of money. First of all, pizzas are not cheap. Just to make a point, I mean, like forty dollars joke is too much.
Speaker 4: Jokes should be cheaper.
Speaker 3: No, I think you can. You could spend a lot on a good joke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could take the what joke are you planning?
Speaker 3: I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 4: Oh really, I love it. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Well I did almost hire that midget to come to your house and just kind of walk around the backyard.
Speaker 3: I'm not mistaken. You did higher and then canceled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you like strongly.
Speaker 1: Discouraged me from going forward with the plan. Here's the deal. Gary's wife likes little people, but she does an understatement of the sense. I'm not trying to be weird about it, but it is an understatement she likes little people. So my idea was the first year they were going to have a Super Bowl party. So this is now what ten years ago I was going to get. Here's the thing with her little people affection. She doesn't want to like it ordered that little person ordered for her, like to just be there, like at a party or whatever. She likes to see them quoting here in the wild, so might naturally occur, naturally occurring right, Like she's at the grocery store and there happens to be a little person there. It makes her freaking weak, right, So she just loves them. It's not a hate thing, it's a love thing. So my idea was to get to hire a little person, and they're perfectly hirable. There's several little people that do this. And the little person wouldn't dress as an elf or anything else. You'd want to dress your little person as.
Speaker 3: The super Bowl normal.
Speaker 4: Whatever they were going to wear that day, they wear to your house.
Speaker 1: And I was gonna have the little person just walk around in your backyard so that she could see the little person from the kitchen in the wild in the backyard hanging out. And we all hang out back there too, So it's just like you know, won't be alone, and then you decided against it.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't be alone.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if it would be a man or a woman, they wouldn't be alone.
Speaker 4: Or a child, a child, little person. I don't know. If there's a service.
Speaker 3: For underage, probably not a great. Yeah, if there is. If there is, you don't want to go to that one. Probably not a good.
Speaker 1: If my kid was a little person, I would totally put my kid in the circuit.
Speaker 4: Make some money at Christmas time, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Well for the ol Yeah, I know, I know what it's for. The Newark Airport is an absolute mass transmittation problem.
Speaker 1: Am I going to get a mean scribe from Frank Buckley or something about that.
Speaker 4: That you're anti or that your heighthest?
Speaker 1: And not though I was celebrating, I was paying for them.
Speaker 3: The Newark Airport is an absolute mess. The Secretary Transportation, Sean Duffy, has come out and talked about ways that we can upgrade our systems. We'll talk about what's going on with their traveling.
Speaker 1: Also, Bill Belichick had quite the weekend. We'll tell you where he turned up as well. It wasn't the football field.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM.
Speaker 3: Six forty US and Chinese officials have reached that deal that now we've sets up. There's an interesting test that's gonna happen though, when it comes to the tariffs. There is a little known court in Manhattan that is hearing a case on the tariffs. Three judge panel at the Court of International Trade is going to hear arguments tomorrow on whether or not it's even legal. They're hearing a lawsuit brought by a New York based wine importer and four other small businesses. They say that President Trump doesn't have the authority to impose tariffs. Other challenges have been filed in the court and in federal district courts around the country, but in this case, it is this is the one that's going to be front and center, So we'll keep an eye on that. Orioles beat the Angels yesterday seventy three, so the Angels will move down to San Diego to take on the Padres starting tonight. Dodgers crushed the Diamondbacks eight to one. They actually have the day off today. They will come home and host the A's tomorrow.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on.
Speaker 3: Yet another problem at Newark Airport in New Jersey.
Speaker 1: We talked about this last week about how I believe it said three fourths of the air traffic control operating centers are obsolete. At this point, they are dealing with humongous shortages of staff and people that are working. They used to have a must retire age of fifty six. Now they're trying to lure people to stay longer because there's nobody It's a lucrative job as well, but it is a stressful job, and it's become even more stressful with the longer hours because of the staffing shortages across the country.
Speaker 3: Newark, for some reason has become ground zero for this. They've had construction issues on their runways, they've had weather issues in the last couple of weeks, and now for a third time, early yesterday radar went out Newark Liberty International Airport actually had to do a ground stop yesterday. They are back up to two runways today, but they're still seeing cancelations and delays. Sean Duffy is the Secretary of Transportation and he's been making the rounds lately. This is a very high profile task for him and he said, among other things, this week he's going to be meeting with airline officials to try to convince them to lower the amount of traffic into an out of Newark Liberty International following the number of flights.
Speaker 5: We can ensure the ones that are kept, they do actually take off and they do actually land. This authority hasn't been used in over twenty years.
Speaker 3: At this news conference today at the airport, he said there was a fantastic opportunity within the last few years to take advantage of the lull in travel during COVID and use that time when there was less stress on the transportation system, on air transportation, that would have been a great time to reconfigure and redo all of the technology when it comes to air traffic contract We've.
Speaker 5: All been reporting and seeing what's happening at Newark Airport, and I think it is clear that the blame belongs with the last administration. People to judge and Joe Biden did nothing to fix the system that they knew was broken.
Speaker 3: You could also argue Trump didn't do anything in his first round his first term, and.
Speaker 1: It should have been something that was talked about thirty years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you know, just when it was twenty years old. It should have been discussed. Back on Thursday, Sean Duffy and the rest of the Department of Transportation did announce a plan to build a brand new air traffic control system by the year twenty twenty eight, that they would replace some of the core infrastructure, including radar, software, hardware, telecom networks, as well as that copper wiring. We have moved beyond that kind of technology in just about every other aspect of life outside of nuclear weapons and air traffic control systems. So this is going to be Sean Duffy's Let's hope he's successful, because there are plenty of places like Newark that we can't do without modern society. The way we're doing it now relies on air air travel so much. You've got to basically have you've got to have everything up and running, and you got to have a few thousand more air traffic controllers to reach adequate levels. There are only about ten thousand right now around the country, and they say somewhere around thirteen fourteen thousand is a better number to have to be considered fully staffed.
Speaker 1: Did you know that he's married to Rachel from the First World Real World from San Francisco with the aids and Puck. Remember Rachel with the big eyes. Oh, yes, he's married there and they have nine kids.
Speaker 3: Whoa, there's a lot trained in firtation.
Speaker 1: I don't remember him from the reality show World. I do remember her.
Speaker 3: I've seen him on TV, but I don't remember him doing as a reality.
Speaker 4: Show fascinating nine children. Rachel, Puck, Yeah, mess those guys.
Speaker 1: I know she got into it with Puck. They did not get along. I think Puck, No, not Puck, the guy with the AIDS died. Puck didn't have AIDS. I think Puck and the guy with the AIDS did not get along. And Rachel was friends with the guy that that had AIDS.
Speaker 3: But I think Puck died.
Speaker 4: No, he didn't die. Did he die?
Speaker 3: Well check when we come back. Early nineties talk, we'll continue.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KF I am six forty.
Speaker 3: That was the one I auditioned for.
Speaker 4: Did you really? Is that a true story?
Speaker 3: A true story?
Speaker 4: I didn't even to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the one I auditioned for. Wow, think how different my timeline would.
Speaker 4: Have been Gliding doors?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Could I would have married Rachel.
Speaker 1: What made you want to audition for that? How did you hear about it?
Speaker 3: Because the first one was fun? The first one was involve Oh, so.
Speaker 1: That was the second one. I was in San Francisco was the first one, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the first one that everybody remembered. Yeah, but I remember the first season in that I watched it and thought this would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: And so what did you do to audition?
Speaker 3: You had to you had to call, if I remember, you had to call like an eight hundred number, and they sent you an application and it was a long, like fifteen or twenty page application that you hand wrote answers to the questions and everything, and then uh, and some of them were like situational questions. If you had a roommate who was dirty, what would you do? Or if you had a roommate that that was a racist, what would you do? You know, all the what you would have expected from MTV. And then have you ever used drugs? Do you drink very often? That sort of stuff, just to get an idea of who you are. And then you had to record a I think three minute video on a giant VHS tape and then send that in with the application and they called back and the first round of interviews was over the phone. So I was on the phone with some producer from MTV for I don't know, twenty minutes or something like that. I didn't make it past that.
Speaker 4: You were twenty one something like that.
Speaker 3: Twenty wow, twenty one.
Speaker 1: No, that's wild, it's not that one. We should put you out there. What should we have, Gary, audition for? There's a million different things we could do, like the amazing race.
Speaker 4: We could do, you know, squid game. I did the game shows that really Yeah, squid game is not real. I mean that's hey.
Speaker 3: Gary, Hi Shannon.
Speaker 8: So I've noticed you guys have a lot of self deprecating humor around your show, not really being a real job. But I just want to let you know that I think there are a lot of people who get a lot of joy and comfort from listening to you guys five days out of the week, and you shouldn't really put that down so much. Your job is different than other jobs. I won't lie, but it's still important.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That was very kind.
Speaker 3: Yes, we also have some dirty, rotten scoundrels in our audience.
Speaker 9: Gary Shannon Mugger show as always. But hey, there's a real simple easy way to give credit card numbers that are completely untraceable. Go to your Vocal Walmart, buy a Visa gift card, activate it Blila anyhow, it's much easier than it sounds. Have yourself a wonderful day. You guys always love the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So surprise Pizza's prepaid gift cards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the gift cards thing, what a scam.
Speaker 1: That turned out to be Puck, by the way, has been arrested for domestic violence.
Speaker 4: That's such a surprise. But he has a couple of kids.
Speaker 3: Jordan Hudson, better known as the future Miss Bill Belichick, didn't even win the Miss Maine USA pageant.
Speaker 4: Well, it's hard to win a state, I would assume, very hard.
Speaker 1: She came in third I think second second or no, you're right her up second second. It's kind of confusing, but I didn't know she was in the pageants circuit still, but I guess you would be. At twenty four, that's probably her last one. I don't know how late you can go into that game.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows that be Shelby Howells.
Speaker 1: She's the one who does she have a talent. Is there still a talent portion? Does it say anywhere what the portions are like? You have to get up there and speak. It did say that she was the play action describe play action.
Speaker 3: One of the pregame articles said she was going to make an appearance in the interview section, the evening gown section, and the swimsuit portion.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 3: First of all, I thought that the whole me too movement kind of put the kibosh on beauty pageants.
Speaker 1: I thought it put the kibosh on the swimsuit segment in particular, but they.
Speaker 3: Were doing it at the bangor Holiday Inn. I'm sorry, the Portland Holiday Inn.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a lot of women who are very intelligent in the pageant world, and I think that though such as woman ruined that for if you, if you knew anybody in the pageant world who is a very intelligent person, the such as woman girl, I think that was a teen USA contest. It doesn't matter, was really the ruining the factor for everybody, those such as in An Africa as Americans, because that's.
Speaker 3: A better viral video than some hot twenty three year old explaining.
Speaker 1: About foreign policy. Yeah, Far East Asian trade policy, exactly, and.
Speaker 4: Those those exist. But that's what you remember.
Speaker 1: And the beauty of it was that it was a Friday Night Lights daughter asking the question, did you know that? Oh, Amy Ti Teergarden something like that, tear. This is before she started to live life. This was back when she was a sweet little daughter from Friday Night Lights asking that question.
Speaker 3: Good old days. I wonder what coaching Tammy are up to lately.
Speaker 4: Tammy has a boyfriend?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They they It was in my People magazine.
Speaker 3: Oh you get People magazine. You are in an airport. That's what people do in an airport.
Speaker 1: I have I subscribe to it. It comes to the house you do. Yeah, I did not know that about you. I've heard you reference it before. I just thought it was a last minute I like having a bubble bath on a Friday night with my People magazine.
Speaker 3: Age again, how old are you?
Speaker 4: I've been doing this for years. Okay what do you read? Oh right, okay, so bah bah say it with me, bah.
Speaker 1: Books are what what happened?
Speaker 3: Easy? I'm still reading my World War two book James Lee Burke book is that World.
Speaker 4: War two book.
Speaker 3: It's not a World War two Korean No, it's a book about Louisiana.
Speaker 4: Is there a war in it?
Speaker 3: There is no war. No, we got to come back and do that later.
Speaker 4: No war.
Speaker 3: There's no war in that book.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: It's a detective now. I told you about the Cleep per Sell Dave Robis show.
Speaker 1: It's French Canadian, it's Louisiana.
Speaker 3: It's Kate creole. There you go a lot of creole in it. Not a lot. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app