Speaker 1: I want you to just imagine you're lying on a gentle hillside at night.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds lovely right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does. The grass is, you know, cool and soft beneath you, right, and you're just looking up at this vast, quiet canopy of stars.
Speaker 2: Just breathing in that cool night air.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I want you to take a slow, deep breath with us, because tonight this isn't a lecture, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: It's more of a like a slow comforting exhale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quiet exploration. We're just two friends whispering about the strangeness of existence under the night sky.
Speaker 2: And you know, we really want you to just let go of all those racing thoughts from the day.
Speaker 1: Just let them drift away, because for our time together today I have gathered this gentle stack of notes and sources.
Speaker 2: Some really beautiful mysteries in those nights.
Speaker 1: You really are We're going to dive into a deep exploration of a mystery that has just baffled the greatest minds for over a century.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the building blocks of reality itself, right, we are the very bottom of everything. And what we're going to ponder tonight is something called the double slit experiment.
Speaker 1: Which sounds a bit technical, but it's really just a story about the strange dual nature of light and matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it leads to this really beautiful kind of haunting question, like is the universe truly there? When no one is looking right?
Speaker 1: And I know, you know, sometimes physics can feel so.
Speaker 2: Heavy, oh, absolutely overwhelming, full of dense math and equations.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. But tonight, for this deep dive, we are completely leaving the math behind.
Speaker 2: That's a relief. Just simple ideas tonight.
Speaker 1: Just simple pictures, things you can hold softly in your mind, like a spinning coin or a pebble dropped in a pond.
Speaker 2: I love that using those simple images to understand the whole universe.
Speaker 1: So let's start there. Let's set the baseline of everyday reality.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. We're going back to eighteen oh one.
Speaker 1: Actually, right, Thomas Young, he did this classic setup. I want you to picture just a solid wall, a simple dark wall, and in this wall, someone has cut two two narrow vertical slits, just two little doors, right side by side, and behind that wall, a little ways back, there's a blank screen like canvas resting in the dark.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have that picture in my mind.
Speaker 1: So imagine standing in front of this wall and you have like a handful of tiny physical objects, let's say, tiny pellets or little.
Speaker 2: Bullets, just solid everyday things.
Speaker 1: Right, and you start firing them one by one towards the wall with the slicks.
Speaker 2: Well, what happens is exactly what you'd expect, right, They travel in.
Speaker 1: Straight lines, right straight through the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and most of them bounce off the solid wall. But the ones that go through the two slits, they just keep going straight until they hit the backscreen.
Speaker 1: So you just end up with two distinct bands, two piles of marks directly behind the.
Speaker 2: Little doors, exactly two stripes on the backscreen. Because that is how solid matter behaves. It's simple, it's predictable.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. But now let's change the picture. Let's take that same wall with the two slits and place it in a quiet pond.
Speaker 2: Well, I like this one, just still dark water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you drop a pebble in the water.
Speaker 2: You create a wave, a gentle ripple, spreading out.
Speaker 1: Right, and that wave hits the wall and it passes through both of those slits at the same time.
Speaker 2: And when it does that, it creates two new sets of ripples on the other side.
Speaker 1: Two new waves spreading out from the slits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And here's the beautiful part. Those two new sets of ripples they spread out and they start to overlap in the water. They weave together, they do, and where two peaks of the waves meet, the water grows taller. But where a peak meets a valley.
Speaker 1: Oh, they cancel out right exactly.
Speaker 2: The water goes perfectly flat. There.
Speaker 1: So on the back screen or the back wall of the pond, you don't just get two stripes, No.
Speaker 2: You get this beautiful repeating pattern. It's called an interference pattern.
Speaker 1: An alternating sequence of like strong waves and completely still water.
Speaker 2: Yes, multiple bands spreading across the back. It's a signature of waves overlapping.
Speaker 1: So we have this great divide in our everyday experience. Things are either solid objects like the tiny.
Speaker 2: Bullets, which give you two stripes.
Speaker 1: Right, or they are spread out waves like the pawn ripple.
Speaker 2: Which give you that beautiful overlapping pattern.
Speaker 1: And in our normal world, these things don't mix. A bullet isn't a ripple.
Speaker 2: No bullet is a bullet. A wave is a wave.
Speaker 1: So this brings us to this incredibly gentle but baffling question. What happens if we take the absolute smallest pieces.
Speaker 2: Of the universe, like tiny specks of light or pieces of atoms?
Speaker 1: Right, what if we send those through the two slits?
Speaker 2: Well, this is where the universe starts to look very, very strange.
Speaker 1: Because scientists did this right.
Speaker 2: They fired light at the slits, they did, but to really understand it, they had to isolate it. They dimmed the light source down so low that it was only firing one single tiny speck of light at.
Speaker 1: A time, a photon. Right, just one solitary little piece of reality.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, just one speck traveling alone in the dark.
Speaker 1: But wait, if it's just one single speck traveling completely on its own, it has to choose, right, you would think. So, I mean, it has to go through either the left slit or the right slit, just like a solitary little bullet. It can't overlap with itself.
Speaker 2: That is exactly what common sense tells us. And at first, when they ran the experiment, it looked like common sense was right.
Speaker 1: Oh really, what did it look like?
Speaker 2: Well, a single spike is fired, ping it hits the backscreen, there's one tiny dot, like a single bullet mark right, and then another speck is fired, ping it lands somewhere else do It just looks random, completely random, like a scatter of dots in the dark. But as they kept firing them one by one, dot by dot, taking all the time in the.
Speaker 1: World, a pattern starts to emerge.
Speaker 2: Yes, a very specific pattern. Slowly, those individual dots build up into the exact same alternating pattern of waves.
Speaker 1: The interference pattern, the pond.
Speaker 2: Ripples, exactly the pond ripples made out of individual bullets.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So each individual speck, even though it's traveling entirely on its own, it's interfering with itself.
Speaker 2: That's the staggering implication. For that beautiful alternating pattern to appear on the back screen, there has to be an overlap.
Speaker 1: But there's only one spec I know.
Speaker 2: It means that the single particle cannot be traveling as a solid little deed.
Speaker 1: It can't just be going through one door, right.
Speaker 2: It must be traveling as a wave of possibilities. It's moving through both slits at the exact same time.
Speaker 1: Let that idea just linger softly for a second.
Speaker 2: It's hard to hold in your mind.
Speaker 1: It really is a single piece of reality. Spreading out like a ghost.
Speaker 2: Just taking every possible path through the dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going left and going right simultaneously, until it finally lands on the screen.
Speaker 2: And when it lands it becomes a solid dot again. Yeah, but while it was traveling, it was everywhere it could be.
Speaker 1: It's so beautiful. But also, you know, my mind immediately wants to solve it.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course, we want to know how the trick is done, right.
Speaker 1: I think, well, if it's going through both slits at once, why don't we just look closely?
Speaker 2: Why not just watch it happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just put a tiny little camera or you know, a detector right next to the doors to see which way it actually goes.
Speaker 2: And that is exactly what the scientists thought too. They wanted to peek behind.
Speaker 1: The curtain, so they added a detector right right at the slits.
Speaker 2: They did. They set up a way to gently watch and see does this speck go left or does it go right?
Speaker 1: And what happened?
Speaker 2: Well, when the detector is turned on, we do see this back. We see it go through just one slit or the other.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it does choose a door, it does.
Speaker 2: When we look, But the moment we look something heartbreaking happens on the backscreen. The pattern changes, the beautiful wave pattern, the ripples, it completely disappeared.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, it just vanishes.
Speaker 2: It vanishes. The dots stop forming the wave pattern. They collapse into just two plain, boring bands, exactly like the solid bullets.
Speaker 1: Wow. So just the act of watching it, yeah, forces it to act like a solid object.
Speaker 2: It's as if the universe knows we are paying attention.
Speaker 1: It's like it's shy. It was doing this beautiful, ghostly dance through both doors, but the second we look, it just drops to the floor and pretends it's a regular bullet.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The magic vanishes, the mom bites observed.
Speaker 1: That is just it's wild. Let's try to picture this with an analogy, because the physics terms for this can be so heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's keep it grounded.
Speaker 1: In the notes, there's this concept called quantum superposition. But let's just imagine a spinning coin.
Speaker 2: A coin spinning rapidly on a tabletop.
Speaker 1: Right, imagine looking down at it while it's spinning. It's just a blur, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a hum of motion.
Speaker 1: It's not heads and it's not tails. It's a beautiful mixture of both possibilities at once.
Speaker 2: I love that the unobserved particle is exactly like that spinning coin. It exists in this fluid state of pure possibility, its.
Speaker 1: Heads and tails, left door and right door, all at the same.
Speaker 2: Time, right until we decide to look.
Speaker 1: And looking looking at the particle with our little camera or detector, that's like slamming your hand down on the spinning cord.
Speaker 2: No, that's exactly what it's like. You slam your hand.
Speaker 1: Out stops instantly. The soft fluid wave is gone.
Speaker 2: The beautiveruse is forced to make a choice, heads or tails, left slit or right slit.
Speaker 1: Just the act of touching it, of measuring it, collapses all those beautiful possibilities into one single, cold fact.
Speaker 2: The gentle wave is gone, just because we asked it for a definitive answer.
Speaker 1: It's so wild to think about. It brings up these massive philosophical questions, and the notes here talk about these philosophers of the quantum world back in the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 2: Ah, Yes, Neils Bohorr and Werner Heisenberg, right, And.
Speaker 1: They came up with something called the copen Hagen interpretation, which sounds very.
Speaker 2: Formal, very academic Yeah.
Speaker 1: But really, we can just picture them as a group of physicists who dared to ask a very poetic question.
Speaker 2: Would they ask?
Speaker 1: They dared to ask if the moon is there when nobody looks?
Speaker 2: That is such a profound way to put it, because what they were really suggesting is that reality, at its deepest, quietest level isn't made of solid things just waiting around to be found.
Speaker 1: So if it's not solid things, what is it made of?
Speaker 2: It's made a problem. It's just a blur of maybes, like the spinning coin exactly. They argue that reality itself does not take a definite shape until it interacts with something else, until the hand slams down.
Speaker 1: But wait, I have to ask, because this is where my mind goes, and I think a lot of people's minds go here.
Speaker 2: Where's that?
Speaker 1: Well? Does that mean the universe needs us?
Speaker 2: Ah? I see what you're saying, Like.
Speaker 1: Does it need a human brain or a conscious mind to look at it to make it real? If I close my eyes, does the room I'm in just dissolve into a wave of probability?
Speaker 2: It's such a common thought, and it's a very romantic idea, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It is it centers us?
Speaker 2: But it's also maybe just a little bit arrogant of us to think we're that important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: Physics actually has a really gentle grounding correction for this. There's a famous joke by the physicist John Bell.
Speaker 1: Oh what did he say?
Speaker 2: He was mocking this idea that consciousness is required. He asked, did the wave wait billions of years for a single celled creature to appear? Or did it wait for a highly qualified measure with a PhD?
Speaker 1: That's brilliant? Did the universe stay blurry until someone with a degree looked at it?
Speaker 2: Right? It's funny, but it makes a deep point. We need to redefine what looking means.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what does it mean to look at a particle?
Speaker 2: Looking just means a physical interaction. It doesn't require eyes or a mind.
Speaker 1: So a camera counts, yes.
Speaker 2: Or even just a speck of light hitting a photographic plate. That plate is an.
Speaker 1: Observer, or a rocketting another rock exactly.
Speaker 2: The universe doesn't need our human eyes to exist. You just need pieces of itself to.
Speaker 1: Touch, to interact.
Speaker 2: Yes, any physical interaction is a measurement. That's what slams the hand down on the spinning coin. The universe is constantly measuring itself, forcing itself to be real even when we aren't around.
Speaker 1: That is a comfort, actually, to know the universe can hold itself together.
Speaker 2: It really is. We're just part of it. We aren't holding it up with our minds.
Speaker 1: So reality is solidifying all on its own through these tiny interactions. Yes, but what about time, because our notes here take a really strange turn into time.
Speaker 2: Oh, we are entering the territory of John Wheeler.
Speaker 1: Now right. This is from nineteen seventy eight. Wheeler had this haunting thought experiment. We talked about how the particle acts like a wave if we don't look, and acts on a bullet if we do look. Right, Well, Wheeler said, what.
Speaker 2: If we wait wait for what?
Speaker 1: What if we let the particle pass through the two slits in the dark and we don't decide if we want to look at it until after it has already gone through.
Speaker 2: Oh, the delayed choice experiment. This is where it gets really mesmerizing.
Speaker 1: It's like playing a trick on reality.
Speaker 2: It really is. Imagine a particle coming from a distant star, let's say millions of light years away.
Speaker 1: Okay, a tiny speck of starlight traveling through the cold dark for millions of years.
Speaker 2: Yes, And on its way to Earth, it passes around a massive galaxy, so.
Speaker 1: It could go around the left side of the galaxy or the.
Speaker 2: Right side exactly. The galaxy is like the wall with the two slits. The starlight is the particle.
Speaker 1: And it has been traveling for millions of years. It already passed the galaxy a long, long time ago.
Speaker 2: Right, and it finally reaches us here on Earth tonight. Okay, And we decide today, right now in our observatory whether we want to measure it as a wave looking for the pond ripples, or measure it as a particle, the solid bullet.
Speaker 1: But wait, if it has already been traveling for millions of years, how can a choice we make tonight on Earth change how it behaved millions of years ago when it passed that galaxy.
Speaker 2: It feels like it should be possible. It feels like we're reaching back into the past.
Speaker 1: Right if we look for a wave today, does the universe go back in time and make sure it went around both sides of the galaxy.
Speaker 2: For a long time. This was just a quiet thought in Wheeler's head, But recently we've actually been able to test this in modern labs.
Speaker 1: This is the part that just absolutely blows my mind, the fact that we can test this. We have the twenty fifteen experiment in Australia at the Australian National University, Yes.
Speaker 2: The a and U experiment, And they didn't just use a speck of light, used an actual atom, a single relatively massive helium atom.
Speaker 1: So a real physical piece of matter exactly, and they dropped it through crossroads of lasers. The lasers act like the two slits.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, exactly, they split the atom's possibilities, and then at the very last microsecond, while the atom is already falling, already past.
Speaker 1: The crossroad, the machine makes a choice.
Speaker 2: A random number generator. It decides at the absolute last instant whether to look or not.
Speaker 1: Whether to slam the hand down on the coin or let it stay ablur exactly.
Speaker 2: And then ten years later, in twenty twenty five, at MIT scientists did the exact same thing, but with ultra cold atoms trapped in this beautiful cage of light called an optical lattice.
Speaker 1: Just floating there in the dark, and they tested the same delayed choice they did, and what did they find in both places? Australia and Mit. What happens when we make the choice at the last second.
Speaker 2: The result is always the same, and it is breathtaking. Even if the choice is made the very last second after the particle has crossed the slits, the particle perfectly matches our choice.
Speaker 1: It matches it perfectly perfectly.
Speaker 2: If the random machine decides to look, the particle lands as a solid bullet, it acts like it only ever went through one door.
Speaker 1: But if the machine decides not to look.
Speaker 2: Then the particle lands as part of a beautiful wave pattern. It acts like it went through both doors.
Speaker 1: Even though the choice was made after it already went through the doors. Yes, how I mean, how do we make sense of that without breaking our brains? Are we changing the past?
Speaker 2: No, and that's the gentlest way to understand it. We aren't changing the past.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what is happening?
Speaker 2: It's just that the history of the particle simply wasn't written, not until the very moment we measured it.
Speaker 1: It didn't have a past exactly.
Speaker 2: The spinning coin was just spinning, floating in time. It wasn't heads and it wasn't tails, and it didn't have a solid history until the hand came down.
Speaker 1: Wow, it just hovered impossibility.
Speaker 2: It did. The universe leaves things undefined until they absolutely have to be defined. It's incredibly efficient in a way.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. It's like the universe is a blank canvas and it only paints in the details right where you touch it.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly that.
Speaker 1: I want to gently bring you, the listener, back to that hillside we started.
Speaker 2: On, just feeling the soft grass again.
Speaker 1: Looking up at those stars. How does it feel to know that you are part of a universe that is so fluid.
Speaker 2: So responsive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so wonderfully undefined until it touches you, until you interact with it.
Speaker 2: It makes you feel very connected to it all, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It really does. I want you to take another deep, slow breath.
Speaker 2: Just let the air out slowly.
Speaker 1: There is no need to figure it all out tonight. The universe is just a soft, spinning blur of.
Speaker 2: Possibilities, and right now all you need to do is rest. You don't have to observe anything.
Speaker 1: You can just let the waves wash over you. But before we drift off completely, there's one final quiet thought in our notes.
Speaker 2: A really beautiful step further into the mystery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, building on every thing we've talked about, the spinning coin, the hands slamming down.
Speaker 2: What if we ask one more question about that coin?
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the question if.
Speaker 2: When the hand slams down on the spinning coin, the universe doesn't actually force it to choose.
Speaker 1: Wait, what do you mean we just said it has to choose heads or tails?
Speaker 2: Right? But there is a view in physics called the many worldview decoherence.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 2: What if the universe simply splits splits like in two Yes, in one quiet stream of reality, the coin lands on heads and you are there to see it. Okay, But in another identical universe, just a breath away, the coin lands on tails.
Speaker 1: And another version of me is there to see that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, every possibility, every wave of that particle going through the less slit or the right slit, it all happens quietly, playing out in a vast, endless branching of night skies.
Speaker 1: An endless branching of night skies. That is just it's a staggering.
Speaker 2: Thought, every possible universe. Yeah, just resting side by side in the.
Speaker 1: Dark makes the night feel so much deeper. It does well, I hope that thought brings you a sense of peace tonight, leaving you cradled in this vast, gentle mystery of the quantum world.
Speaker 2: It's been a wonderful time exploring it with you, it really has.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on this quiet exploration. Have a peaceful night.