Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I mean, does it get better than Ice Cube driving into the stadium and then having the two walk off guys from the World Series at count Yeah, play a little pitch and catch.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, And you know I loved about Detroit.
Speaker 1: I love that some guy, and this is why Detroit should be taken seriously, I mean among other.
Speaker 3: City or the team.
Speaker 2: The team.
Speaker 1: Okay, there was a couple guys that watched that whole thing from the dugout, didn't bother them at all. Thought it was cool, soaking it in, soaking in the championship.
Speaker 2: This is what it feels like. I love that.
Speaker 4: I've never been a fan of those gold lettered jerseys for the World Series champion. You know, the next year they get to play in the I've've always hated that they could do something else it would be and they look great, they look awful, They're just anyway. That's my story, but that's the coolest one.
Speaker 2: Luckily, I come to you for fashion.
Speaker 4: I know you you're welcome, but it is one of the coolest things that they do is the opening day has always been fun. It's always been one of those great to see what each team is going to do and how they do it, and then you know, next week there's a whole another series of home openers for teams that are on the road this week and all that stuff. So it's very fun. Do you see each you row throughout a first pitch in Seattle? I heard about it through it like eighty nine miles an hour.
Speaker 3: Wow, it was really good.
Speaker 2: How old is he?
Speaker 3: Fifty eight? Really something like that?
Speaker 2: My God, get so quickly.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: The biggest story that we're talking about throughout the day to day outside of Greenland is going to be in me and Mark there is Give me this Robin, give me this computer over here, I got the little thing I was going to play.
Speaker 3: In Mandola, these monks watched as a large building collapse right in front of them. The earthquake also damaged parts of the cities.
Speaker 1: This is awful, right, one hundred and forty four people killed. But I will say that speaks to the power of being a Buddhist. Listen to their reaction.
Speaker 3: Oh, just to watch this building collapse?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Deborah Mark's reaction to me via text at six point thirty was stronger than that. No kidding, by the way, she texted me the news item and I wrote back, I know, Deborah, I thought of you immediately when I saw this.
Speaker 4: Right, she didn't feel the earthquake, she just knew that there was a big earthquake.
Speaker 2: No, but how funny that she passed on that news item to me.
Speaker 4: As of right now, news services there in Me and Mar and in Thailand neighboring Thailand have said that it's expected about one hundred and forty four people in both countries, most of those in Me and Mar. This woman actually again, Me and Mar and Thailand are right next to each other. This woman in Bangkok, an American, has lived there for twenty eight years and says that this was reminiscent of the earthquake that caused the tsunami back in two thousand and four.
Speaker 5: This is not the first time that the building has.
Speaker 3: Built an earthquake.
Speaker 5: In two thousand and four, when the tsunami and the earthquake happened in Sumatra, the building shape immensely for almost thirty minutes, and then it had cracked in the walls. But never like this people.
Speaker 1: So the thing about Bangkok, it sits on a river delta, and that opening shot of the Hangover Part three is exactly what Bangkok looks and feels like in real life. It's built on top of itself. I mean, I'm surprised there's not more damage. We're hearing about this one building over and over again, and it's awful, and one hundred and forty four people, like we said, have been killed.
Speaker 2: But I'm surprised there's not even more damage.
Speaker 1: When you think about how things are just built on top of each other in a shoddy fashion.
Speaker 4: It is going to be This, unfortunately, is one of those stories where as we go through the four hours of this show that death toll is going to go up significantly. The US Geological Survey had estimated that it will probably be into the thousands before the end of the day.
Speaker 1: This is coming out of Wichita Falls, an Air Force base in Texas on lockdown for a possible active shooter. Shepherd Air Force Base confirm the reports online the Air Force and in a statement that sweeps in the area are being conducted. This is just northwest of Dallas there. Like I said, in Wichita Falls, Texas, So we'll stay on top of that.
Speaker 4: Hey it's Friday, so with all that other stuff going on, we're still going to have some fun today. We will be doing what you learned this week on The Gary and Channon Show. You can always leave us a talkback message. That is, when you're listening on the app, you just hit that little button. It sends us a message. Just tell us what you learn some of the fun facts that maybe you learned about the world or about us.
Speaker 2: Speaking about fun facts, we're about yourself.
Speaker 4: I mean sometimes people learn about themselves when they hear us talk about things.
Speaker 2: Okay, like what do you mean?
Speaker 3: Well, maybe they think to themselves, you know what? I do like pickles.
Speaker 2: Have we mentioned pickles this week?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: But again I don't know what goes on in people's minds.
Speaker 2: I love pickles. What a fun, low calorie snack? Are they low calorie?
Speaker 3: I find? I assume so it's a vegetable at its base, isn't it.
Speaker 2: What kind of pickles do you like? Do you like sweet pickles? Do you like?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I like my buddy.
Speaker 4: When I was in the junior high in high school, a friend who lived with his grandmother and his grandmother used to make pickles, and they were spicy, and I'd never had spicy pickles before.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: We would always go into his There was a shed in Grandma's backyard where she would store these jars of pickles. I guarantee they were not up to snuff in terms of healthcare, course, but they.
Speaker 3: Were the best.
Speaker 1: Those are the best pickles, the flavors the back of the barn or the shed.
Speaker 2: He always used to black market pickles.
Speaker 4: Eat a pickle, and then he would drink part of the brine, the juice that the pickles were in, which I never did because that was even more spicy.
Speaker 1: Really healthy for you. It'll get you going. A lot of athletes drink pickle juice, So I've heard that. Yeah, you should try it. Okay, what else went on in Grandma's shed?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue? What is this show?
Speaker 1: Greenland? The trip is on what you can expect? And if we're gonna, if we're gonna acquire this land, we should learn more about it, should we not?
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard of seal soup?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Maybe you know it as suicide.
Speaker 3: I prefer seal soup.
Speaker 1: See could you imagine eating a seal? A little baby seal in a soup. That's what they eat there in that soup. They also eat whale and polar bear and musk musk ox.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: What's a musk ox? These are like live off the land people, guys. There's not a lot of not a lot of vegetable gardens.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of processed food. It's not a lot of nacho cheese doritos.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Well ten years ago when we first talked about Donald Trump coming down that escalator and I did something like you got to reach out and pull it in like I did that with my hand, quoting Jim Harbaugh, you would have looked at me with pots.
Speaker 2: You would have been like, what are you doing? What are you talking about? And now you just don't even r.
Speaker 3: Oh, honey, I've given up on that.
Speaker 2: Now you just have accepted crazy town.
Speaker 4: Yes, because if I pushed back too much, you'll start lighting things on fire. I've seen that happen. We don't need fire today. I mean, fire is never bad, but we don't need it today.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean, like somebody to take control.
Speaker 4: Well, and if you look at the guy who is at the top of that party.
Speaker 3: You've got.
Speaker 4: You've got Gavin Newsom who's trying, but he doesn't have the support nationally. You've got a guy like Jos Shapiro out in Pennsylvania who appears to be a more intellectual and more natural Gavin Newsom, but still has some of those political stances that aren't going to fly in mid America. Do you say that Hakem Jeffries, as the minority leader in the House, is has anywhere near the name recognition that would be necessary. He just hasn't been in Congress long enough to get that sort of notoriety. And then everybody else is five million years old and there's no energy? Is it Barack Obama? It could be, but why would he want to do that job again? And I don't mean the job of president, but the job of leading the party, especially when it's a fractured.
Speaker 1: Delighted have you seen speaking of the leader of the party? I mean the last power player that we talked about that was really the undoing after George Colony's op ed of Joe Biden was Nancy Pelosi. Where the hell has Nancy Pelosi been? If she's the king maker. She has been oddly absent from public.
Speaker 4: View there is Well, I think part of what the problem with the finding a leader for the party is who all these because it's such a factioned group, you know, there's so many smaller factions within the party they're willing to tear down. Whoever raises their hand, whoever sticks their head up first, is the one who's going to get it chopped off. And Nancy Pelosi was near the top the whole time. But now they don't want somebody who's old. Yeah, because they've run it. They ran into that with Joe Biden and they don't want to repeat that mistake.
Speaker 2: A couple questions, who is they?
Speaker 1: And the second follow up question is who's more powerful than Nancy Pelosi to make that decision?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. That's again that goes into the It's kind of.
Speaker 1: Like the question we had towards the end of Joe Biden's presidency that we asked repeatedly on.
Speaker 3: The show, who's actually in charge?
Speaker 1: Who's in charge of the country right now? And it's not us trying to be cute, who is in charge? Who is the puppet master in Washington? Because it wasn't Joe Biden.
Speaker 4: Even if he was in each one of the important meetings, there's somebody sitting right next to him who's probably the one who has the largest influence on some of those decisions. Vice President JD. Vance and his wife Usha Vance are in Greenland. They have landed and they are at the American military base there. They are, among other things, talking about how we love Greenland, we like Greenland, we want to be friends with Greenland, and at some point, according to Donald Trump, we want to take over Greenland.
Speaker 8: If we don't have Greenland, we can't have great international security. If you look at the ships outside of Greenland, China, Russia, places.
Speaker 3: That we have to be there.
Speaker 8: If we're not there, we can't have national or international security. So I view it from a security standpoint, we have to be there.
Speaker 4: We do have a footprint in Greenland. We have for some time. Right now, we have the Space Force Base at Patific in Greenland, Department of Defense's northernmost military installation. That is the home to Space Forces eight hundred and twenty first Space Base Group. They do missile warning, missile defense, and space surveillance operations. It seems like a very cold outpost, but very important outpost. We have been there for a very long time. Think about nineteen fifty three, the Cold War was heating up. The United States had set its sight on a settlement more than seven hundred miles north of the Arctic Circle. One hundred and sixteen civilians that lived in that area of Greenland would have to go because we wanted to expand our Air Force base at the time to defense, to defend against Soviet missiles. There was also an anecdotal story about American officials who had gone door to door in Greenland to try to find somebody there who would be willing to host the Vice Price and his wife and perhaps National Security Advisor Mike Waltz just for a quick just for a quick bowl of seal soup and photo handshake and just like, hey, we're.
Speaker 2: From And they said, we saw what happened at the donut shop.
Speaker 3: I don't want that weirdness in my house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll eat our seal soup in silence. Everybody said, no, yeah, it's not going over well.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, the people of Greenland are not the Kardashians. They don't want photo ops. They don't want the public to be looking at them. They live off the late eighty percent of Greenland as ice. They eat seals for crying out loud. Well, I mean this is there are no roads in Greenland. They don't want publicity, they don't want attention. They are the anti Instagram generation.
Speaker 4: When a great percentage of your day is dedicated to simply staying alive, right, you don't care about photo opportunities. Now, we don't have to worry about keeping ourselves alive every day where if we go outside it's dangerous or any Do.
Speaker 1: You think the Canadians pride themselves on not being an American. You're not going to find a place that's more Unamerican than Greenland.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could make the argument for China when it comes to freedom, but in terms of like stuff to do and stimulation and all the vain, narcissistic tendencies we have, Greenland has none of that.
Speaker 3: They have their own.
Speaker 4: It's a very strong sense of independence, yes, like we would like Americans would, but they do it in a very reserved way.
Speaker 1: Right, At some point, I want to tell you the story about Eric the Red, the Viking that founded Greenland's first European settlement.
Speaker 4: Well, throughout the show today, we should perhaps do Greenland fun facts, right.
Speaker 1: I love a Viking story, don't you. It's also it always comes with murder. Murder, Yeah, give me that. Get that away from I'm tired of looking at that. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Do better? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: I said, stupid?
Speaker 3: Oh stupid, he said, do better.
Speaker 2: No, I would never say that.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: Uh, there's supposed to be nationwide and potentially worldwide protests tomorrow out in front of Tesla dealerships. You guys, you're doing nothing. You're doing nothing to change anyone's mind about driving a Testy.
Speaker 1: This goes back to the transgender Shay's lounges on the deck of the Titanic.
Speaker 2: What do you You're picking the wrong fights.
Speaker 1: And furthermore, this is a vehicle that is saving the planet. One of the major tenants of the Democratic Party is conservation and.
Speaker 2: Respecting the earth.
Speaker 1: And even die on a different hill other than the electric car hill.
Speaker 4: Even if Elon Musk lost all of that company ceased operations today, he'd be fine.
Speaker 3: Stop, be okay, get.
Speaker 1: Out of the Nissan leaf that you championed all those years ago and realize he's done it correctly and disagree with him, make a case out of disagreeing with him politically, but on the other hand, realizing that he does good for the planet.
Speaker 3: Listening to Chevy Bolt Driver, I mean, the leaf.
Speaker 2: Was really the worst, and the volts also bad. He really did it right the first time.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: The remarks that the Vice President is making at that Space Force base, will we may bring some of them to. I don't think he's gonna unveil anything significant, but if there's anything, we'll definitely bring it.
Speaker 2: To It's the minerals.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Trump has talked about the US forming some sort of control over the mineral rich territory of Greenland, obviously an ally a NATO member as well. There has been a lot of pushback and you wonder, you wonder often what the Viking who founded Greenland would think.
Speaker 3: Who is the Viking that founded green.
Speaker 2: Eric the Red is his name? A Norse explorer?
Speaker 3: What have gone for Jeffrey the Green Do you know who.
Speaker 1: His son was? Thor hir doll leif ericson? Okay, not fun yeah, explorers.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: The apple doesn't fall far from the explorer tree. Eric the Red Do you want to know how he earned that name?
Speaker 3: Red Hair?
Speaker 1: Yes, red Hair, red Beard, although some say it's because he murdered several of his neighbors after he was exiled from Greenland to Iceland.
Speaker 4: Like the Red wedding from the Game of Thrones, she wasn't actually didn't have anything to do with red.
Speaker 3: It was all about the blood.
Speaker 1: Eric the Red was born in Norway in nine fifty. He was the son of thorvald Oswaldsen. He was banished from Norway for admitting acts of manslaughter, just the way the Sun would later be banished from Greenland for killing.
Speaker 2: And in the family there killing, exploring all of it.
Speaker 4: One noble pursuit and one not so noble pursuit, the killing, and then the exploring.
Speaker 2: Three sons and a daughter. One of the sons Leif Ericksson.
Speaker 3: What was the daughter's name.
Speaker 1: The daughter's name was Friedas My grandmother's name was Frida. Yeah, she was a pretty big deal. She was prominent in the north exploration of North America. She was an early colonist of Vinland. Where's that Vinland? I'm so glad you asked. Vinland or Wynland was an area of coastal North America explored by the Vikings five centuries before good Old Christopher Columbus. Huh Newfoundland, oh way north, northern tip of it.
Speaker 3: The they like the colder parts.
Speaker 2: It sounds like, Okay, they like the colder parts.
Speaker 4: It sounds like It's not like they went to South Carolina in August.
Speaker 3: They were a new family.
Speaker 2: Good time, all right.
Speaker 4: If you got nothing on the calendar tomorrow, you might want to go protest outside of a Tesla dealership.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that we come back.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Since Tesla the carmaker has become a lightning rod for violent attacks and vandalism, more than two hundred protesters scheduled to take place tomorrow during what organizers are calling a global Day of action, part of a campaign called Tesla Takedown. They're hoping that they can put a dent, perhaps in elon Musk. They want to hurt sales. They want the stock price of Tesla to go down. They've set a goal of five hundred demonstrations worldwide, although though it's not clear that they're going to meet that.
Speaker 9: Guess how can you tell people not to protest. The point of protesting is.
Speaker 2: To get the word out.
Speaker 9: And guess what you guys are talking about it. They got the word out and their protest seems to be working so far. Just let people do what they want to do.
Speaker 4: Man, I never tell people not to protest. I just want you to know I said this. Let me dumb it down because I've said it to my kids. I have no problem with you protesting. It's one of the great things that you could do in this country that you can't do in other parts.
Speaker 3: Of the world.
Speaker 4: But you better know what you're talking about, and you better be able to when that TV camera or radio reporter comes to you and interviews you. You better be able to articulate why it is that you're standing out in front of a fully legitimate business like that and protesting.
Speaker 1: Count I've covered countless protests and that's never the case. Just so you know, Union's bus in mass people the protests. My issue with Democrats protesting TESLA and I understand that it's bigger than that.
Speaker 2: It's about Doze and it's about.
Speaker 1: Federal workers losing their jobs, and I understand that, and I understand that I have no frame of reference personally for that. I can understand it's a very terrifying place to be when your job is hanging in the balance.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But if.
Speaker 1: You're just protesting Tesla for the sake of Elon Musk running it, and you're a Democrat and you're somebody who supports the party to the point of protest, then you're also somebody who supports the electric car movement and moving away from fossil fuels and all the big trucks like the one I drive like, then then support that the then so then that's the hypocrisy that drives me crazy in Washington. In one hand saying save the planet, go electric, and on the other hand, you're trying to burn down a Tesla dealership. I can't handle the hypocrisy, and that's my issue.
Speaker 4: Just take the burbank, the Tesla store, the Tearn burbank, and if you look at if you went through and were to interviewed, pick the one that's closest to you. I don't care. I'm just using that one because it's here. Interview the people who are working for Tesla, the people who five years ago ten years ago thought they were going to change the planet ecologically speaking, they're going to change the planet because they were working for a new kind of a car company, and car company that doesn't rely on fossil fuels, a car company that is going to revolutionize the way we think about transportation and think about the planet. At the same time, those people who still work in these stores will be affected by you protesting the guy. If you went through true the private lives of all of the CEOs or owners or whatever of the car companies around the world, and then tried to tell me that each one of those individual people are all church going, zero problems. Family guys, you know, no skeletons in their closet. You're being completely ridiculous. Hypocritical is a word that you've used. You're being hypocritical. This is not something that hurts Elon Musk. Elon Musk has said, listen, you guys can protest me all you want. This isn't what's gonna You're not hurting me. You're going to hurt the dealers, the employees, the stockholders, the people who drive Tesla's who have no rip. Two ways about it about the politics of the guy who owned the company.
Speaker 6: You're great, wrong is being done to the people of Tesla and to our customers. Tela's peaceful company that has made great cars, great products, that's all it's done. Hasn't harmed anyone, and yet people are committing violence. They're firebombing tesl dealerships, They're shooting guns into stores. Hey, the threatening people.
Speaker 3: What's happening. It seems to me is.
Speaker 6: They're being fed propaganda by the far left.
Speaker 3: And they believe it. It's really unfortunate.
Speaker 2: You're right. Most heads of company are not likable people.
Speaker 1: They're probably made of money, and with being made of money comes a lot of the devil's playground, so to speak. And if they are protesting Doge and all the federal workers being cut, that's easier for me to swallow than Elon Musk is a bad guy or Tesla is a bad product. There's a guy, Matthew Hillary's forty seven. He began selling Tesla themed bumper stickers in January online demand, he said, took off stickers from his business offer slogans like I bought this before Elon went crazy.
Speaker 3: I've seen that on a test.
Speaker 1: Yes, Elon was always crazy, it's how he came up with Tesla.
Speaker 2: But that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 1: Here's the other one, elon chets at video games, he says Matthew Hiller does. After two years of fairly average sales, things began to pick up. Now the business is raking in about forty five hundred dollars in sales per day on anti musk merch In the past month, sales from Amazon alone are about ninety grand.
Speaker 2: That's just Amazon.
Speaker 1: That's before sales from eBay and Etsy are added in. And that's where he first started eBay and Etsy.
Speaker 4: And this guy says, I made the decision not to support this guy and thought that there had to be more people watching this unfold, like me, who had already bought a Tesla and wanted to distance themselves from him.
Speaker 3: Here's here's something to point out.
Speaker 4: Though he's not selling his car, he's just adding a bumper sticker to it.
Speaker 3: And to me, that's that's fine.
Speaker 4: That's also disingenuous, like if you I'm not.
Speaker 1: Bothered by someone saying I being a sticker on their Tesla, saying I bought this before he went crazier. This this car is not an endorsement because.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't buy the car as an endorsement, and you shouldn't think of it a product as an endorsement.
Speaker 2: Of a political party. Well, that goes back to our point.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna look at everybody who leads a company and their politics and what they believe in, You're gonna stop wearing a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: You're gonna stop eating a lot of stuff. You're gonna stop driving a lot of stuff. If you're basing your.
Speaker 1: Consumption of things, whether it's clothes or vehicles or foods, based off somebody's political beliefs or their job.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, So I want to use two examples to prove the power of.
Speaker 3: The corporation.
Speaker 4: So we do that when we come back, of course, but there are two examples that I can think of. You're not more powerful than Tesla. You're gonna make an impact, yes you are, you have right, but you're not more powerful than a giant corporation like that when the product is desired by people.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap