Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of December ninth, we are continuing with Lost season one, episode twenty three, Exodus Part one. Yes, indeed, folks, we have finally come to the exciting two part season finale that we've been marking time for a few episodes now. And you know, on the one hand, there's a monster chasing people through the jungle, and the crazy French lady has shown up again, and there's black smoke and possible terrible things afoot. But at the other hand, the raft took off.
Speaker 2: They did it.
Speaker 1: They're going to rescue everybody, so it's nothing to worry about. You know this. I thought this show went on for like five seasons, but it looks like it's almost over because you know they're off. They're off to find rescue again.
Speaker 2: I remind you of is Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It looked good. It looked good.
Speaker 1: The raft.
Speaker 2: Look pretty solid.
Speaker 1: I said to my husband, would you want to go off into the open ocean on that thing making? Making the island and the column of smoke and the monster looked actually like possibly a better option, but I could possibly go wrong. Yeah, you know, I'm sure they're near a sea lane and so there will be no time at all before a boat comes and picks them up.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what artist said, right like, or maybe he did. I don't. This guy says a lot of things. Yeah, yeah, shows up out of nowhere, talking a lot.
Speaker 1: This episode was particularly one for extras. Yes, every time they showed a group shot, there's who the heck is that?
Speaker 2: Who's There's a.
Speaker 1: Guy with an elaborate beard, and there was an old dude, and who are you people? Why have we never seen you before? But okay, it's got to look like there's forty people there and not just the handful of name actors, right.
Speaker 2: Which I mean maybe it'll come into play later, but like, they didn't need to have that many people, do you know what I mean? Like, well, but have just killed off more on.
Speaker 1: The plane they could have, but you need a certain amount of cannon fodder, I think, right possibly, that's the only reason I would think of having the extras, although they do at some point start trying to tell those people's stories, which was a mistake, but we'll get there. Turns out we really don't care about them, right, but we threw them a bone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Danielle Rousseau shows up and says, you have three choices. You can run, hide, or die, which she didn't give the choice of try to fight. I guess she knew that was not going to ever work, right, I mean, this idea of going into the hatch, like, okay, then you're just sitting ducks, like you're just right all down in there. If they can even get in, they don't know what's in there, Like, yeah, I realized this is all going to be covered. But at this point, I'm like, that sounds real dumb.
Speaker 1: You know, yes, you didn't. Also, why would you assume that they weren't in that hatch.
Speaker 2: Or they don't they know about it?
Speaker 1: And presumably longer than you are, you're just the first head discover. Yeah. And also where are you going to run to? You know, there's like if they're everywhere and you have a limited area to run before you have to swim, how is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Scary though?
Speaker 2: And also what does like have they the others just decided that they can leave Brusso alone? Like I guess she said she knows how to hide, Yeah, but why does she? Why does she care about our castaways?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it's the island, it's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's always the answer.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. Yeah. But as much as the last few episodes have been marking time to this two episode finale, this one is sort of marking time a little bit. It's setting up all the pieces for next week in which a great deal happens. So right, right, just gotta be you gotta budget your action, you know. Mostly her only function here is just be be weird and unsettling. Yeah, and she does that very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's good at that. I mean, I guess we're not surprised after her how she's spent the last sixteen years, right.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, But I mean this is not spoilering or foreshadowing at all. I'm just saying that from their point of view, how did they know that she's not one of the bad guys? Is just playing them? Yeah, you know there's these bad guys, trust me.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly, just because say, has encountered her before, that's right.
Speaker 1: Oh well, it's hard when you're in a scary world to parent an unruly group of children to safety. Poor Jack, right, he's like he has to make all the decisions. What are we going to do? What do you think should we run high or die? Which one? What should we do?
Speaker 2: And then he's like, okay, everybody, here's I'm going to go get this dynamite. You here's the list of tasks you need to do while I'm gone.
Speaker 1: You stay here alone and undefended on the beach.
Speaker 2: No, he told them to go to the caves.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, that's right, which again, still like I.
Speaker 2: Mean, and they're just alone in the cave.
Speaker 1: Half of the men capable of protecting people went off on a raft and half of them went off toward black Rock. Who's left in the caves? Is Charlie going to defend them?
Speaker 2: He's going to defend Claire? He thinks, yeah, hey, he he killed a guy.
Speaker 1: Remember Charlie and a bunch of random dudes basically there to protect all the women and child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did kill a guy before, so I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the most badass woman Kate took off. So it's if the if the idea was to make an easy target for the bad guys. I think they did a great job.
Speaker 2: Check that off the list.
Speaker 1: But you know what, you got to make a decision, and you got to sell it, and you got to do it like you mean it. So you know, not for the faint of heart, is is parenting or leading people. But at least Jack got at least Sawyer as his supposed parting gift. Gave Jack the story of having met his father in a bar.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: He left off the part about and I knew it was your father because he told that super joke about the was it the red Sox? I think? Because otherwise how does how does I mean? Jack has to be saying, well, how did you know that was my dad? But or is he just thinking it must be if you told him about the joke, then it's for sure you know the connection.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, yeah, but he was like he's a doctor and he and he's his son was a doctor. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and I mean when he says his name was Christian, then Jack knows it's his dad. But how would Sawyer have known it's his dad? Right? Oh, you know, it's it's fine, but it was nice. I was glad that Sawyer did that he did not have to, and it was, you know, just the question Jack needed to hear. Right then, is that his dad believed in him, but not enough to actually call him up and tell him. Still to tell another drunk guy in a bar, well, it means something.
Speaker 2: He was just too drunk to actually.
Speaker 1: Yes, too drunk and too much of an sob. Yeah, but still I think that was more the thing than the drink. But yeah, agreed. So that was a lovely little moment between the two of them, and then off they went to their their respective doomed endeavors.
Speaker 2: Right, what do you mean to tell me this doesn't work?
Speaker 1: It's both gonna work. Everything's gonna work. It's a one season show, so next week gonna wrap all this stuff up.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm triumphantly back with the.
Speaker 1: Raft with some there can be just more seasons that are like Gilligan's Island, like you know, island comedy. Some of them just decided to stay in this nice place. Yeah, well have hijinks, Yeah, hijinks galore. I think that's that's the general reputation. The show has one season of moody genre drama and then a bunch of high jinks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think hijinks is accurate, but I think the way they're perceived is maybe not.
Speaker 1: I think high jinks are mostly on the part of the writers of the scripts. But anyway, so Son and Jin had a nice moment. They made up. Yeah, and I noticed for the first time that Sun has a really nice watch. Did she have that watch all along?
Speaker 2: I didn't notice it? And how I just noticed that her nails are very clean.
Speaker 1: Despite her digging in the garden.
Speaker 2: Yes, well again, the Island spa has a manicares.
Speaker 1: The Ellen spa absolutely. But I just when she was hugging him, I noticed she had this It looked like brand new out of a box watch, very shiny with a leather band that was very crisp and nice looking. And I just being around my house, I can break and damage things. How is it possible that you can be through a plane crash and live on a beach or low these many days and your watch looks like it just came out of a box. I don't know the island. Have we mentioned that the island is weird? It has an odd dug quality of keeping time pieces?
Speaker 2: Christine, there you go.
Speaker 1: That sort of thing should not catch your eye. Wardrobe people right, like, don't introduce hair color, don't you introduce new looking things? What else went on?
Speaker 2: Well, we have Claire just holding the baby and looking very worried, which I'm sure well she should, Yeah exactly. You know that when Rousseau is talking about her own baby and Claire is just like holding her baby tighter and tighter and tighter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like, Yeah, I would, I would keep an eye on Rousseau visa VI your baby, Claire.
Speaker 2: She'll never sleep again, Claire, Oh my gosh, nor should she. We've already she's already had so much trouble in that area. And now Sawyer's gone. He's the only one who could read to the baby.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, that's right. That kid's going to be crying until he comes back. Vincent's going to be watching the ocean for his boy. Baby's going to be crying for his reader. You know this is these people leave a hole in the community.
Speaker 2: Can't take take people's comfort objects away from them.
Speaker 1: Oh no, poor Vincent, you know he's already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now he stuck with Shannon person.
Speaker 1: Who is actually his master, and then he devoted himself to the boy who has now left him. Although, would Vincent look at that raft, buddy, you you're much better right, first thing, time that thing hits a wave, you're going off the edge. But yeah, Shannon, Shannon, and we got the many, many flashbacks of all the different characters, including Shannon, like fingering sayid to the security at the airport for leaving his bag, asking her to watch his bag. So fortunately he apparently does not remember that. Yeah, and uh and Jack met uh met a nice lady at the bar right right all that away. I was in the tail section of the plane. Did you hear she was in the tail section? That would be the same section of the plane as Rose's husband, would it not, Yes, In the bathroom. Yes, no reason, but hi, Michelle Rodriguez, Wonderfu'll see you again?
Speaker 2: Wonder?
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Also Jack mentioned he isn't married anymore.
Speaker 2: Right in that scene? What happened to Julie Bowen?
Speaker 1: Will we get flashbacks about that sometime in the next four or five years of this show?
Speaker 2: Pretty sure?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking yes, But uh and uh ours. This is what I don't understand. People who get frightened of something that's going on and say I'm going to run back through the jungle by myself to safety. Right, That doesn't make sense to be right? What I mean, this is terribly scary, But there's a bunch of other people, So if somebody's gonna get eaten, there's a possibility it's not me. On the other hand, if I'm running by myself, there's a decent chance I'm going to get lost or caught in a trap or you know, or.
Speaker 2: Any number of other disasters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he se numbers buddy.
Speaker 2: He thinks he's you know, knows everything. Apparently he does.
Speaker 1: And I resented when he said, if you want to keep something secret, don't tell the fat guy because you're not so svelt yourself. Mister don't be disinhurly, come on.
Speaker 2: And also what like, where does that come from?
Speaker 1: I've never heard I guess. I guess they were going into the into the jungle to find this black rock and this dynamite, and I guess Hurley knew about it and told ourst right.
Speaker 2: But like, what is that being overweight have to do with keeping a Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true. I guess it's just the the shallow person's way to remember who all these characters are. Yeah, but I don't think that they're bending over backwards to make ours particularly likable. So no, we should just call him Arst because that bothers him. But or Leslie, that guy, Yeah, he thinks he's pretty smart. You know what happens to people on this island when they think they're pretty smart.
Speaker 2: Nothing good, that's fine, we won't miss them. Oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we got more of the story about the plane, the little toy plane. Thank goodness. We're dying for information about the plane. We got old scene about the plane, but the detective just explains the entire story, so we don't have to worry about it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was the whole stuff we basically already knew. We still don't know how it got from the car to the safe deposit box.
Speaker 1: I would guess that he's the agent that's been following her. He got it from the car.
Speaker 2: And then he put it in the safe deposit box.
Speaker 1: I believe. I think that's what he was saying.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, all right, whatever, dude.
Speaker 1: But boy, he seems like a very unpleasant fella. Yeah, based on that scene. I mean, not that Cake comes off that grade either, but he seems unnecessarily yeah, not nice.
Speaker 2: So and you know, if you were going to put it in a random safe deposit box in the middle of New Mexico, like I don't know, maybe have have like a staff member there who's who you're paying to, like pictures of Kate in the in the bank, and say like, if this lady shows up, that's bad news.
Speaker 1: But is this how we handle evidence? Yeah, we're gonna put in some random place this this precious piece of evidence. You know, it's not like it's a weapon used in a crime. It's a toy airplane, right. I think that they're trying really hard to make this thing significant, and I guess maybe the fact that it's a plane gives it all sorts of irony, but.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah whatever, Yeah, and uh Sawyer, we saw Sawyer getting well, I guess he gets arrested in a bar fight and then their Australia's answer is to deport him.
Speaker 1: But he wasn't living there particularly, he just went there to kill somebody, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean like he was deporting, as in, like you're out of here right now, never come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy, I hope the Raft doesn't end up in Australia and all sorts of trouble.
Speaker 2: In trouble.
Speaker 1: Say, oops, can't land here. I'm going to take the raft back. So I see you later. Oh goodness, ye, sorry, getting everybody's a little bit of backstory, Yeah, a little bit more before stuff starts to happen. But all of this is for nothing because the Raft is gonna totally find a boat right away rescue them before anything bad can happens, right yay. So next Tuesday we will end season one try with episode twenty four Exodus Park to the exciting season finale in which the Raft lands, they all get rescued and they go, ah shows up or not. We will see you back here tomorrow to discuss shrinking. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.