Speaker 1: Oh it's showtime.
Speaker 2: People say good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater, they are cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters.
Speaker 4: In the Protection Booth, everyone pretend podcasting isn't boring.
Speaker 5: Done it as.
Speaker 1: Murphy's law is this. If something can't go wrong, it will go wrong at the worst possible time.
Speaker 5: Careful what to see for? Yeah, well everything's unstable.
Speaker 6: Speak for yourself.
Speaker 5: I killed for some action.
Speaker 2: The best action is no action.
Speaker 5: This back. We are getting robbed and we need back up. We're being jams.
Speaker 1: Anybody at home, don't waste time there. You come out now it.
Speaker 5: We'll get you to a hospital. Helping the doors but.
Speaker 1: Dead, be smart, that's not your money.
Speaker 5: You didn't do this plan to keep two witnesses alive.
Speaker 3: If you could blow these doors open, you wouldn't be here negotiating with me.
Speaker 5: Bad choice. Posing.
Speaker 1: There's only one way out of this thing where you're still breathing.
Speaker 2: Hey, folks, welcome to a special episode of The Projection Booth. I'm your host, Mike White. On this episode, I am proud to say that I spoke with Dash Mike Cock. I've been wanting to speak with him for years. If you don't know the name, you definitely know the face. You've seen him around in quite a few things, including the new film Armor. It also starred Sylvester Stallone and Jason Patrick. It'll be out in theaters and on digital and on demand November twenty second, twenty twenty four. Had a great time talking with mister Mihawk. I hope you have a great time in listening to the interview. Enjoy. I want to ask you about Armor, but I'd love to know a little bit more about you. How did you get your starting acting?
Speaker 6: I grew up in New York and my parents were actually theater actors. They met each other when earlier television was being produced and the starving actors would actually work together to teach early television camera operators at RCA how to shoot television, and they would hire actors to do scenes. And that's how my mother and father met. But because of that, they never wanted me to be an actor. I never thought I would be. I wanted to be a scientist, a biochemist. I went to bron Science and I wanted to That's what I really wanted to do. I never thought about it, but it crept up on me and I had always done things on the side. Was fortunately introduced to an agent instead of having a knock on somebody's door, and I probably booked, I don't know, my first Law and Order or something like that everybody does in New York and I went, well, I could do this, and they were like, yeah, you guys were in theater. So that really from there on. I don't really have any formal training. I didn't go to school for it, but I just kept working and learning by experience with being around it. So that's the truth now.
Speaker 2: I know if you've played a lot of roles over the years, a lot of different types of characters, but for me, it's that menace with a little bit of comedy that I always appreciate. So things like I'm punish your war zone or a kiss kiss bang bang, It's just like, oh, I love when this guy shows up.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Yeah, I'd like to think that I've run the gamut. I've done a couple of rom coms too that nobody's seen. I'm kidding, but I have. But I just like to play everything. I think it adds to it. And yeah, if there isn't humor within a villain, I don't unders then I think it's boring.
Speaker 2: Well, I really liked you in Sex and Death one on one.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, Mike, you're pulling out them gems. Wow. Okay, Yeah, I love that you saw that movie. That was fun. Thank you. As many colors as you can bring. I'm still learning, and it's this kind of thing is I appreciate very much because it reminds me that this is why I've been doing it for so long. And I have to sometimes come back to oh okay because actually people saw it and they liked it, and not that I'm an actor and human so we all need validation. But it doesn't happen all the time as we close off our bubble. So thank you.
Speaker 2: I wasn't working with Sylvester Stallone and Armor.
Speaker 6: That's the question that everybody's gonna ask me, you want to work with Sly? It was really I've been telling people like, first off, he really responded to the things that I was doing, and he's a legend, and I believed his brain. What I love the most is that we both were sitting there like trying not to overdirect the movie together because he definitely has that brain and I definitely have that brain. So in that sense it clicked really well of how do we get things done in a short period of time. So that was really nice and now we both know how it would cut. And he was just kind and a gentleman. He would give me a note and he would take a note if I gave it, and I felt comfortable in doing so. He wasn't unopened, and this is the way it has to be. And coming from somebody who's done when he's done, obviously that was fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know he's got very much an actor's brain, but very much like you said, that writer's brain, that director's brain. Yeah, and so it must have been nice to be able to go back and forth with him, because you're no slouch either when it comes to directing and especially being able to do what you do as well as even being a musician. That's got to add a lot of shading as well.
Speaker 6: Is that a segue to me being a musician?
Speaker 2: If you want it to be, it can be.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it because people don't normally ask about that. I enjoy all forms of expression, and the older I get, the more interested and also freed up, but not in a way because you don't. It has to be a certain way to some people, and you don't want to be like actors and musicians or people like, oh do I want to do that? But the older I get, the more I'm like, that's who you are and that's how you grew up, and that's okay. I'm not trying to be something i'm not. And if I make alternative orchestral hip hop, then that's fine. And my two children play piano and violin and we do. That's just it is. So I'm happy for that. I'm happy to express ourselves in any way we feel. But the hardest part is just continuing to be comfortable in your own skin, obviously, and it comes with age more so you also have to navigate things in a certain way. But with regards to Sly, we both could see the writing and we can go, Okay, that's not gonna work. That work. Why don't we try this line here? Well, it's like shorthand we're gonna have to shoot this. You weren't here for this, I wasn't we're going to pop this off here? And it was like it was effortless, and it made me appreciate and also look back that because in my mind, I feel like I'm twenty five and I haven't been doing this for thirty years, but I have, and our technical aptitude is such that it is, and we can make things go faster and also take care of our fellow actors and our crew at the same time and make your day. And so that was fun to be with someone who's done it way more than I have and been on a lot bigger sets. But it was like he trusted me, and we trusted each other, and that's what it comes down to.
Speaker 5: Always.
Speaker 2: This might be a stupid question, but what was the weather like when you were out there? Because it feels like you're probably on that bridge for a long damn time.
Speaker 6: My friend, It's not a stupid question. You can see and you can see that he had his own makeup artists, and that goes without saying, because I was like, it was one hundred degrees and humid in Louisiana's last Mississippi, and I was wearing a lot more gear. I was telling somebody yesterday. I think I was like, I kept trying to bust his ball that he wasn't wearing a flat jacket because he doesn't have to big and I wish that I had. That's what I can aspire to in the future. Right, I'm not wearing an extra two layer because it was hot. Everybody, Yeah, everybody was about hydration these days, but that was very much a part of it. It was brutal. Thank god, Jason and Josh got to shoot most of their stuff in a build in the studio. But that's what it is. I've done it before. I used to run up hills in the thin Red Line when I was twenty six, chasing cranes for twe hundred and nineteen days. So this one was not other than my age. Now it's not that difficult.
Speaker 2: I know. We just have a few minutes left, but could you tell me a little bit about some of the work that you do for Tourett's and the charity work.
Speaker 6: I have towards the Jim Touretts doesn't have me as what they like to say it's a cliche, but I had take since I was six. Well, they've subsided to an extent after I was like eighteen, but they were really bad when I was a kid, and I think that kind of need to why I became an actor looking back now, just in terms of always watching everybody who I think was watching me or not. But then the character study was subconscious, like somebody's looking at me because I'm doing this and what are they thinking?
Speaker 5: And whatever?
Speaker 6: And I think ultimately because I wasn't destined to be an actor, but that was the underneath. Yeah, I've been working with the THAA now Direct Association of America. It was the TSA since I was eleven. I did like a VHS video for them back when. And I just again, I feel like people are a misdiagnosed and people who don't have it are misdiagnosed. If I could say it like that, because you have to. It's a hard one for people to understand. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't click itch to scratch that we have You'll never understand it fully and and but I want people to get as close as they can to to what it it feels like in their skin. And if I can help that in any way, I always will because I believe that you know, would acceptance and surrender to certain things. Yeah, the world will be a better place.
Speaker 2: Is there a good place for people to keep up with you online?
Speaker 6: I'm not a huge social media I'm a fairweather person, but you can go to dashmihowk dot net and isn't the fan my bandesfa dot com But I don't also and since I have threats, I have OCD and it's creating a post takes me like an hour because I want it to be perfect and it's really hard. I have two young kids and when I'm doing that, I'm like, I could be spending more time with my children. But yes, obviously because of this, I'll be more prominent. But is my hawk is normally where you can find mek.
Speaker 2: Mister my Hawk. Thank you so much for your time. This is great time.
Speaker 6: Did he ask you a quick question? Yeah, because I worked with Mike White, the other one a long time ago, and now I'm glad that he's working. How many people ask you about that? And is it annoying?
Speaker 2: Not very many, And no, it's never annoying. I think it's actually opened up a couple of doors. It was I got an interview with oh, got Brenda Vaccaro once and she thought I was the other Mike White. And then there was a director who I won't name, who is just like you know how it is, and he just kept saying, you know how it is? Like it was before we were on zoo or not.
Speaker 6: He had never met.
Speaker 2: No picture, no picture, yees yeah. And then he was like, where you located these days? I'm like Detroit, and it's like Detroit, that's so odd.
Speaker 6: I was like, yeah, Mike's a great guy. You wrote a pilot for me with Judd Apatow thirty years ago or something and it didn't go sadly, but I'm glad that everybody's doing well, and I'm glad to talk to you, and I would love to do it again.
Speaker 2: I would love that too. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Too.
Speaker 6: Shots.
Speaker 4: And this is the evil that men do. And this is the evil that men do. And this is the evil that men do.
Speaker 5: Any and your sin and then when he consent you and.
Speaker 4: This is the evil that men do. This is the evil that men do. This is the evil that men do. Any and you sin, and that's when you consent.
Speaker 3: I thought it out a thought, just to see that was swimming unconscious. Father didn't bother. You're gonna bring with this woman. I'm gonna protect it from the start. How you think I'm going.
Speaker 6: Don't you know? You play a bard. There's a message you said, give me your chance.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm young, be a part of the mold. I know the cycle. You don't like you, So your heart is in gold. And though it's honest me the men about it. Honor your promise, the one.
Speaker 5: You gave them Mama when you knew she'd let you get on.
Speaker 3: He Selfish acts of man leave a child to ponder dis asterids really make the heart of honor. And now I wander these streets and I'm hungry for faan. I love my Mama, but I'm I'm gonna need the bomb of the man and exercise and daily grins for help masters within violence and petty crime, there's no violence.
Speaker 2: I'm all alone on this island.
Speaker 3: With all the reasons within me, and all the night that I'm thinking, I'm just a peaking of life, a soldier.
Speaker 5: The life of the thing of shoves.
Speaker 4: This is the evil that men do, shut and this is the evil that men do. This is the evil that men do any ain, And that's when he can send you.
Speaker 6: And this is the evil that men do. This is the evil that men do. This is the evil that.
Speaker 5: Men do any in sin, and that's when he can send you.
Speaker 3: Now I'm a young man looking for acceptance when the repts came men over me. This neckless changed to signify wrap your hood except.
Speaker 6: For five got a job ned, here's a gun.
Speaker 2: Never fire the eliable.
Speaker 3: I'm buying by the flash of the steel and the wire and the gas and the gas an.
Speaker 6: Appeel I feel.
Speaker 3: The story is like when you in your hate day and you got this a day that you used to day. You're going to get in great shape with your lily pay rate.
Speaker 5: This is fucking day rate.
Speaker 3: They snakes and altas gambo, queen creep blue ship you off to alfath Man.
Speaker 5: They just tricked you.
Speaker 2: The promise of.
Speaker 3: The pride of a man a war than a shame was no plan. Heartland of the hood, and your boots will be shaking it when you're steering that language.
Speaker 6: You're trained to be taken on the shoves.
Speaker 4: And this is the evil that men do shut and.
Speaker 6: This is the evil that men do.
Speaker 4: This is the evil that men do an engend and that's when he can send you a shust. This is the evil that men do on shust and this is the evil that men.
Speaker 5: Do that shust.
Speaker 4: This is the evil that men do and the engend and that's when he can.
Speaker 7: Send you is more, the moms lost to the wars, the real soldiers that fight for their brothers and sisters.
Speaker 5: Anything of life is not a game.
Speaker 3: Shame of those who just to use their influence to manipulate.
Speaker 7: The young and im barbarised, and those who take metains.
Speaker 5: On their own hands. Shust shall have.
Speaker 7: Only blood, and they're consisted therewith the shust.
Speaker 6: This is the evil that men do, Shust. This is the evil that men do.
Speaker 4: This is the evil that men do in the as and And that's when you can send you