Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: K f I and kost HDT two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: Now that I proved really good, call you host, Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock straight up. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, March eighteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks for getting your day started with us. Got my coffee. I'm switching things up. I'm having cream of wheat. I added too much water, so it's now mush of wheat. Yay, what is that?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: It's a rock I'm going to tell you about my special rock in just a minute.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: The twenty twenty five baseball season is underway. Boys in Blue playing right now at the Tokyo Dome. Very exciting. We have the game on. I don't usually get to watch the games because I don't get I don't have spectrum, so I can't watch Dodger games at home. I can listen to them anytime though. On AM five seventy. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. La Mayor Bath says there's been a big drop in violent crime and homicides in the city. Police Chief McDonald's says in the Hollandback Division alone, there were twenty five fewer homicides in twenty twenty four than in twenty twenty three. Overall, fourteen percent dropping homicides around the city. Gaza's Ministry of Health is more than four hundred people have been killed in air strikes by Israel. Israel launched news strikes against Hamas and promised increasing military force after talks on more hostage releases stalled. As I mentioned, the Boys in Blue are back. The Dodgers begin their twenty twenty five season against the Chicago Cubs at the Tokyo Game. The Dodger are up three to one. The game's almost over. You can listen to every Dodgers game all season long. Honor Sister Station AM five seventy k LAC. Joe Larsgard is gonna share how your kids don't have to have a lot of money to go to Harvard ooh, and also how looking to the future is actually good for your financial future. That's coming up at five point fifty. They're coming home. Our friend Colonel mcchague and a Russian cosmonaut are headed home along with stranded astronauts Sunny Williams and Butch Wilmore. Will be watching that they have undocked from the International Space Station and if all goes according to plan, they'll be touching down tonight. We're gonna check in with ABC's Jim Ryan get the latest on that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man has been arrested in Victorville for allegedly leading sheriff's deputies on a chase during which one deputy was killed. Deputy Hector Kuavos Junior died yesterday when his patrol vehicle slammed into another car and basically was torn in half. Sheriff Shannondikas hiss Gwaves had been a deputy for six years.
Speaker 4: Hector is the type of law enforcement officer that we all want to be. He was a grand and great protector and a great.
Speaker 1: Father, Bekas says. The man driving the stolen car is going to be charged with vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and also evading a police officer which caused death. A metal recycling business next to a high school in Watts has been ordered to shut down.
Speaker 6: On Monday, a judge ordered S and W Atlas Iron and Metal Company to stop receiving and processing new metals. The business is accused of polluting the adjacent Jordan High School and the surrounding neighborhood. The Los Angeles Unified School Districts says students have been exposed to sharp metal projectiles, debris and metallic dust, and other objects launched from or omitting from the property.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Daniel Martindale says the high school was also affected by an explosion at the facility last summer. The owners of the recycling business are facing felony charges. Crime stats in LA are trending in a better direction.
Speaker 7: The stats presented by the mayor and LAPD show a decrease in violent crimes just about across the board. LAPD Chief Jim McDonald says the city saw two hundred and fifty five fewer murders in twenty twenty four compared to the year before. That's a fourteen percent decrease and as partly thanks to targeted enforcement and community led intervention programs. Robberies stayed about the same, but everything else, including burglaries, rape, and car theft saw decline. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Sony is suing USC over videos on Instagram and TikTok that promote the school's sports teams. Kfi's Tammy Trujillo says Sony claims more than one hundred and seventy songs in the videos were used without permission, thus violating Sony's copyright on those songs. The laws it was filed in New York Federal cord and says USC never licensed the songs by Michael Jackson, Britney spe and ac DC. USC says it respects the intellectual property rights of others and will respond in court. While we're waiting for Stephen, we're having a connection issue. Will ask me about this rock. And I got to tell you yesterday I got a package sitting on my desk and it weighs. It weighs like twenty pounds. It's a very special rock. It's a kindness rock. And now I have to put you on hold with that thought because now we do have Steven Portnoy. So I'm going to tell you about my rock. It's actually very cool. ABC. Stephen Portnoy, Good morning. Trump lawyers went before a judge who ordered the administration to stop deporting illegal immigrants. What's the latest on this.
Speaker 8: The latest is the judge has questions that were not answered yesterday by the Trump administration's attorney. And the Trump administration lawyer said, well, because of operational issues and national security concerns and diplomatic concerns, your honor, I'm not able to answer your questions. And the judge said, wow, is it classified? And the attorney said, well, because we deal with classified material all the time in this courthouse. So let's go down to the skiff, or you can bring it to my office. But I have these questions, the judge said, And the Justice Department's lawyer said, well, hamaa haamana. And so the judge has demanded something in writing from the Justice Department by noon Eastern time today. This has to do, of course, with the president's invocation of the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight, which says, at a time of war or invasion by a foreign country, the United States can deport nationals of that country without due process, swiftly deport them. This dates back to seventeen ninety eight. It's only been invoked three times. War of eighteen twelve world War one, world War two, not since until now. President Trump argues that the Venezuelan gang trend de Arragua poses a national security threat to the United States, that its members are the worst of the worst, bad own break, as he called them the other day, described as rapists and other criminals. Now, the reason this is in court is because the ACLU and migrant writes advocates say that some people have been swept up in this, that some people who may have gang tattoos are not actually members of the gang, and they should have the right to demonstrate that in court. And the judge who was presented with this last weekend said, you know what, you might have a point. Let's bring those planes back and let's dig into this deeper. He didn't make a final ruling, but he did say that this should be put on ice, to use a phrase, And the White House basically said, well, all right, you know, sorry, your honor, the planes have already left us airspace and they landed, and in the words of the President of El Salvador, oopsie too late. And the judge is not happy, and he wants to know why his verbal directive was not regarded, not followed, and the Justice Department's attorney said, well, again, your honor, there are diplomatic concerns. Is a fast moving case, and you know, the executive and all this, and it really gets the question of whether this administration believes that the court's have anything to say about all this, and there seems to be a disconnect on that point.
Speaker 1: Okay, And we understand, Stephen. Things got a little heated yesterday too, I mean understandably if they're not answering the questions that the judge is posing.
Speaker 8: I would describe it as tense, okay, where the judge, you know, really tried to get the Justice Department's lawyer to explain the actual rationale, the legal rationale for why the administration's taking the position that it is pointing out that you know, there is and I don't want to get too deep into this, but this idea that you know, doesn't matter whether the planes have already crossed US airspace. The judge doesn't seem to think. So he says he has equitable powers that don't stop at the water's edge, and that the attorney should know that. And the lawyer said, well, yes, but and so there's a lot of that. Let's see how it plays out today.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the deadline is noon Eastern for the judge. Just a lawyer Justice Department lawyers to answer the judge. We'll see if they.
Speaker 8: Do that's right, and then we'll see what the next steps are. But the administration is appealing this beyond that. So this is a lengthy process that'll probably play out over the next several months, but certainly a tense hearing yesterday, and the judge is not happy.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC. Stephen Portnoy, thank you so much, appreciate it. As always be time to tell you about the rock. So I get a package in the mail. It's sitting on my desk yesterday and I'm like, oh, it's always fun to get a package, right, as long as it's not ticking right. Well, the thing weighs like five pounds. I'm like, what is this and who is it from? So I open it up cautiously and it's this rock and it has a picture of Winnie the Pooh and Tigger on it that has been painted on it. And it's from Robert known as mister Amazing. It's even signed by mister Amazing. He said. He I enclosed a painted rock of Tigger and Pooh. It's titled today My new Favorite Day. And Robert is an early riser listens to Wake Up Call, which we always appreciate. He says, it's his time of the morning for a little peace and quiet, to listen to KFI, have a little caffeine, and occasionally occasionally do some painting. This is so cute. And Robert is forty years in public service. He spent he had four years in the Air Force, five plus years at the Post Office, and thirty one years in the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. He's retired now and this is what he does just to kind of chill and relax cool. I love it and it's absolutely adorable, So mister amazing, thank you so much, he said. The only thing he asks is that you kind of pay it forward, is to pass on an act of kindness onto someone you appreciate in your day. He says, he's spreading kindness one rock at a time. I love it and it is going to be on my desk every single day, So thank you. Robert.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We're going to switch things up a little bit because live from Tokyo. We have a klac AM five seventies David Ves. Good morning, David.
Speaker 9: Well, good evening, Amy, Because it is the night over here. We are a day ahead, as you know, and it's the bottom of the eighth inning and the Dodgers are beating the Cubs right now, three to one on opening nights for Major League Baseball, and shoh Otani collected his first hit of the season, thrilling this crowd fifty five thousand plus sell out here at the Tokyo Dome.
Speaker 1: So tell us what's the vibe, David, What does it feel like? Because we know what it feels like in baseball in America. But is it the same here or is it different?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 9: Completely different, Amy, It's surreal. They're Japanese baseball san fifty five thousand plus packed in here are the most polite crowd you will ever find. It was, you know, they just sit in silence until something happens. It's a big contrast from what we're used to. Just hit it right now, for the Cubs got hit by a pitch by a fastball from Blake Tryin and with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning, that's the reaction you heard, but yeah, usually as you could hear, there's fifty five thousand people in a dome and they are completely silent. So it's not what I expect you.
Speaker 1: It's got to be a nice change because the fans. I always like to say that we're nice and respectful, but in reality, a lot of times we're not.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for sure, I mean you're not going to see any fights inside the Tokyo Dome. I can guarantee that by the Japanese fans here. But there are so many people from La Amy that have found a way to get a thicket here. They started to flood the street with Tokyo. I noticed the last forty hours. So there's a lot of Dodger fans here. And they're not only Dodgers fans from la but the Dodgers' goal when they signed Otani and also Yoshiyamamoto who started tonight to paint Tokyo blue. That's their words, and they have succeeded. The Dodgers are a international brand and Tokyo is the Dodgers. Dodgers are Tokyo's team.
Speaker 1: I love it just gives me a little chills And tell us, David Messe, what how do the players feel about the reception that they're getting in Tokyo.
Speaker 9: No, they're loving it. They you know, they get recognized more on the streets of Tokyo than they do sometimes in La I've noticed. So they're loving the reception they're getting. They they have felt the passion of the fans, and obviously they've witnessed for themselves just how popular Sho hey Otani is in his native country.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gosh I bet so. So what's your favorite thing about Japan so far?
Speaker 9: The people. I love the people. They make this country. You could talk about the food, you could talk about the planliness, but it's the respect for their country and for their fellow man that really has impressed me here.
Speaker 1: I love that. Davids, I know you're super busy. You got to get down onto the field and go talk to players because the game is almost over. Hopefully we're going to have a w for the Dodgers. Thank you so much for calling us from the Tokyo Dome. Appreciate it, my pleasure.
Speaker 10: Amy, Okay, go.
Speaker 1: Dodgers, Okay, we have just that was so fun. We wanted to talk to David Vesa. We didn't know if it was going to happen because you know, he's in Japan and the Dodgers are playing and he's got a job to do. But we appreciate that we also have ABC S Jordana Miller in Jerusalem who has a job to do, and that is to tell us what is going on. We thought a ceasefire was in place, thought it was holding, and then yesterday that all changed.
Speaker 11: That's right, can the seasfire is now finished, it's shattered. The Israeli Prime Minister decided overnight to launch a surprise aerial strike on Gaza, very intense strikes from the north to the center to southern Gaza, hitting Hamas leaders, hitting a weapon depots, hitting alleged training centers, and really trying to set Hamas back.
Speaker 10: Because the Israelis had.
Speaker 11: Said that Hamas was trying to regroup and possibly try to relaunch strikes or an attack on Israel. The Prime Minister and a statement said that Hamas was refusing to release hostages, that Hamas had rejected US offers to extend the ceasefire, and that was the reason that the Israeli Army has gone back to a very intense military operation. Right now, it's only an aerial operation just a short while ago we got noticed that there's another wave of strikes now underway in Gaza. More than four hundred people have been killed. And the question is whether Hamas will actually come back to the negotiating table and this pressure tactic, military pressure will work or not.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Jordana, you said it was a surprise attack and they hit areas. Were they able to find areas during the ground assault that they said here this is that and now when if we do go back in, we know where to target.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 11: I think part of the reason that this was actually such a well kept secret was because if Hamas knew that the Israelis were going to strike certain spots in the Gaza Strip, they might move the hostages. Right, there's still fifty eight hostages, twenty four considered alive or hoped estimated to be alive. So Israel more or less knows where they're being held, given the testimony of hostages who came out of the Goza Strip during this the ceasefire, so you know, Israel hit certain areas that it felt were you know, unconnected to the hostages. But of course the families here are gutted and angry and fear that these operations will endanger the lives of their loved ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's such a horrible, it's horrible and in every way, but something has to give and maybe this is what Israel hopes. We'll make hamas you know, cave on this. So we will watch it and appreciate your information. Jardana Miller, thanks for hanging on for us, and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 11: Thanks so much, Amy uk soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan, homecoming nine months in the making. Jim Ryan, how is it going the return trip?
Speaker 5: It's going the right on schedule, right to plan. Butch Wilmore and Sonny Williams are aboard that SpaceX Dragon spacecraft at this moment. They undocked early early this morning, several hours ago, six hours ago now and began the trip back to the back to Earth. You know what they're doing at this very moment, Amy, what you think that the running experiments. They're looking out the window, they're checking things out, maybe taking pictures. Now they're sleeping, sleeping, they're asleep, that's right.
Speaker 1: They want to get one last one, last nap in space, which I hear sleeping in space is like the best thing ever.
Speaker 5: I can imagine. Just yeah, But so that's what's going on right now. But they'll wake up here before too long. There was a rocket firing here just after they undocked from the space station. There'll be another one in a few hours to get them down into a lower orbit, and then they'll hit the opera atmosphere doing many, many times the speed of sound. They'll be slowed and then dropped down on parachutes into the Gulf they just off of Florida, and they'll be picked up there in the oceanics afternoon.
Speaker 1: What do we know what time they're supposed touch down splash down?
Speaker 5: Fifty seven Eastern time? Five to fifty seven Eastern time, Yes, okay, so there be four three, Yeah, so'd be watching for that to fifty seven this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So when they get home, obviously they get picked up and then they immediately go where.
Speaker 5: Well they go into they're brought back to Houston to the Johnson Space Center and they'll be in quarantine for for a while. These two are not kids. Williams and Whitmore are right around sixty years old, each of them, and so so you know, they've been doing two hours of exercise every day aboard the ISS. That's what all the astronauts, cosmonauts and other folks working on the ISS do. They spend a couple of hours that they trying to keep themselves in some kind of shape. But they'll go through weeks, maybe months of rehab and physical therapy is to get used to gravity again. I mean, they've been in weightlessness for nine months, and so I mean, if you've ever seen, if you've seen pictures of these two they're aboard the ISS, Sunny Williams's hair is all over the place, this huge mane of hair because it's weightless and it's just kind of floating around there. Imagine that their bodies are going through the same thing. My understanding, and I just read this recently, is that their vision could be a problem. That's part of what NASA is studying with all of this is the long term effects of being in space on your vision because your eye, your eyeball is under pressure from the inside, right, and so in weightlessness and without that pressure, it's kind of pushing against nothing and that changes the shape of your eye. Is it permanent. Certainly, Williamson and Whitmore are hoping it isn't, but you know, we'll see what happens well.
Speaker 1: And it would be tough if if all of a sudden your vision started to go bad while you were up there. It's not like you can just go to an eye doctor.
Speaker 5: No, no, and you just hope that it's a it's a small enough variation that maybe the readers that you brought with you will work okay. But so that's one thing that's that's going to be studied with this. So beyond besides doing experiments up there that companies and NASA and others are, universities have them doing their their own bodies are a laboratory as well. Right they're being monitored, they're breathing their food, everything is being monitored. All of that research being put to use for future missions people going to the Moon or going to Mars or going beyond. They'll take what they learned from from Butch Wilmore and Sunny Williams.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see too, because I know you said they go into corequarantine. And hopefully we'll get to ask Colonel Haig about this when we talk to him again at Colonel Haigue is of course coming back bringing them back to Earth. They're in quarantine. I wonder if that's because they haven't been exposed to anything for a long period of time. And you know how if you're not exposed to germs, you become more susceptible to germs. So I don't know if that plays into it or not, but I wonder if it does.
Speaker 5: I think you're absolutely right. I mean, it used to be people were concerned about what would the astronauts be. What are they bringing back from space? Or they bringing back the Andromeda strain and it's going to kill us all, so we need to put them in quantine. I think it's the other way around. You're right there. They haven't been exposed to the common cold since they've been up there, and so they'll be acclimated not only to the pull of gravity but also to the dirty air around them.
Speaker 1: Well, either way, it's an exciting day as the crew nine rocket or space craft comes home with Butch and Sonny who've been up there for nine months instead of one.
Speaker 5: Week, along with Nick Agg and the Russian cosmonaut who are with him too. Coming back.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you so much.
Speaker 12: Thanks you all.
Speaker 1: Right, time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 1: Hey. We were just we got to talk to our very own David Veasey, who's at the Tokyo Dome watching and the Dodgers play their first game of the season. And one of the people who's not in the lineup today is Mookie Betts. But he's he's not feeling well, but he's betting on things besides baseball.
Speaker 10: Apparently, yes, so he's actually an accomplished bowler. He's even bowled a perfect game during a professional tournament for three hundred So now Betts is betting on the board. He's become the co owner of a franchise in the startup World Bowling League. He says he wants to show people that bowling has the excitement and the commercial peel to compete with the best sports leagues. By the way, some bull in high school, I loved boweling. Financial terms were not disclosed, but I understand the appeal and the love of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's not actually betting on bowling, he's investing in bowling.
Speaker 10: He is definitely investing in it, and he's the first one in this league that's starting up, the first named investor in the startup league, this World Bowling League. So it's exciting to see it take off, and especially with somebody behind it who has deep pockets like him and also a name too that people want to follow. So it should be interesting to see what's going to come down for the World Bowling Week.
Speaker 1: Okay, Courney. My very first car was, well, it wasn't my car, it was my parents car, and it was old, and it was a nineteen sixty three Dodge Polara and it had push button gears. And wow, one car maker apparently is bringing back buttons. What's up with that?
Speaker 10: Yes, because you know I have to. I tell you, every time I'm in the car and I have touchscreens all in my car, I always end up flipping on the windshield wipers instead of turning up the radio and trying to keep my eyes on the road. And I know so many people feel the same sort of way. With the car dashboard becoming increasingly digital, designers swapping out more and more buttons and dials and switches for something that looks a little more futuristic. With these touch screens. So now Volkswagen says car makers have gone way too far. They said, we're bringing back buttons. The company is telling British magazine Autocar that all future Volkswagen models will feature physical controls for the most important function. So again you're not flipping on the windshield wipers when you turn in on the radio. But they say Volkswagen's design chief so simply, it's not a phone, it's a car. And I understand that that is.
Speaker 1: Appealing to me. So maybe not so much to like gen Z, but to me, that's appealing. Also when I it's Harge, let's check in on the markets. What's up today? They're opening lower, but we have the FED meeting too, so that could change.
Speaker 10: Yes, we've got a lot going on today. First of all, the Setter Reserve facing a tricky task of both assuring investors that the economy remains on a solid flitting with everything going on, but also conveying the message that they stand ready to step in when necessary. The Central Bank they're widely expected to leave interest rates unchanged when the two day meeting wraps up tomorrow, so we're going to be watching for that. So stocks are heading for a lower open down futures down eighty points. Now, I we do want to point out breaking news that we have Google parent Alpha that just announced its biggest acquisition yet. The tech giant has buying cloud security company Wiz for thirty two billion dollars. So they're hoping that the deal will help Google catch up with Microsoft and Amazon in the cloud computing market, which is quite competitive.
Speaker 1: Okay, that could be good for their stocks. Okay, yes, Bloomberg's Court, Donaho getting in your business as we do every day on wake Up Call. Thanks so much for your time and information.
Speaker 10: Of course, see tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right, you got it.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's our very own Joel Larsgard.
Speaker 12: Good morning, Joel, morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so price, if everything's going up, including your T Mobile subscription.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's true. So T Mobile cell phone plans have they just announced that they're going to increase rates in April early April. So if you're a T Mobile, if you get your cell phone service through T Mobile, yours are paying more. If you don't make a change. And it's just really interesting that this is the case because I think some people will say, oh, well, inflation or maybe T Mobiles being impacted by the tariffs in some way former fashion, and so that's why my price is rising, and so you might just kind of sit on your hands and take it. But the truth is, I mean, if you've watched a sporting event lately, T Mobile advertises a lot and that marketing, those marketing costs are certainly you're paying at least for some of that too. And the thing is cell phone service has been on a deflationary trend. Cell phone service has gone down in price in recent years, and there's a whole lot of competition in the space. So if you stay with the major cell phone providers, they're going to keep raising your rates. You're going to keep paying more. And I want people to go to what are known as MB and o's Mobile Virtual Network Operators, and those companies they run on the backbone of T mobiles network of AT and t's network of Verizons network, and yet you pay a fraction of the price that you would pay with a company like T Mobile.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's like Mint Mobile, that's one of.
Speaker 12: Them, right, mint Mobile is one of them. I think Mintmobile is one of the best ones out there. And my favorite one right now though, is US Mobile. That's the company I'm current currently using. I Usemobile for a bunch of years and I've switched over to US Mobile. But that's because it's amazing how little you can pay if you go with with one of these alternative plans. And so, for instance, US Mobile, you can choose to be on any of the three major networks. They work with all three, so you can be on Verizons, you can be on AT and T's, or you can be on T Mobile, and you can even switch it up which network you want to be on at any given time, and you can pay as little as eight dollars a month. If you want what they call a light plan, where you're going to use let's say you're gonna be on Wi Fi most of the time, you're only going to use two gigs max. Well, that's going to be incredibly chea less than one hundred dollars a year. And then if you're like, well, no, I need more data than that, Joel, Well, you can pay two hundred and ten dollars for a year, which comes out to seventeen dollars and fifty cents a month, and that's going to get you ten gigs of data, and it's a technically unlimited day, but you're going to get throttled after using ten gigs of data. That's a really good deal and it's just far better than what the big cell phone providers are offering, and.
Speaker 1: The service is the same. You're not going to have more dropouts or anything because you're piggybacking on those major carrier lines.
Speaker 12: No, the only time you get essentially deprioritized service is on the is on the data when you go over that ten gig amount. Right, So people have complained, oh, man, it says unlimited data, but after using ten gigs, man, it just slows down precipitously. And that is true. It will get slower. But when most people look at the amount of data they use amy they'll realize, like you can go in the back end of your cell phone bill and be like, oh, I used three point two gigs last month, or I used four point eight gigs last month. For a lot of people, because they are on Wi Fi, they're either at work or at home so much of the time, unless you're the kind of person who's like watching YouTube videos all the time when you're away from Wi Fi. Then this is going to work out just fine for you. Look into you know, maybe the last three months of builds and see how much data you actually use, and if you're you know, meaningfully under ten gigs of data a month, the chances that you're going to get proddled are essentially insignificant. They're non existent. So make sure you know how much you see a lot of people assume, well, I need unlimited, I need the top tier, I need the most bank from I need the most you know, data that they offer. But the truth is, for a whole lot of people, you don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I'm one of those people. I need to look into this, Okay before we wrap things up. You don't have to have a lot of money to go to Harvard anymore.
Speaker 12: Why, Yeah, I mean you still have to be.
Speaker 1: Smart, right, I don't know that that's a problem, but yeah, so if you've got kids, so really you want to go somewhere and there's an opportunity that wasn't there before.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, which I love to see. And you know, other great colleges, well renowned colleges in the country have already kind of gone in distruction like mi T, but Harvard basically said, hey, tuition is going to be free for students who come from families that make less than two hundred thousand dollars and their their threshold used to be eighty five thousand dollars. So I think that's great making that education more widely accessible, at least around financial perspective. All their rates of admittance are still incredibly low. But I think on top of that, what's interesting is that we're seeing the sticker price of college stay pretty high, but financial aid is actually increasing. And so when you look at like an inflation chart, it looks like the price of college has just soared over the last few decades, and it has gone it's gone up at a rate that's far above almost anything else besides healthcare. But we're starting to see that shift. We're starting to see downward price pressure, and we're starting to see people hunting for scholarships to a greater degree. So, yeah, college is still expensive, but there are significant ways to reduce that cost, including where you choose to go to school.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then really quick, financial aid is different than loans.
Speaker 12: Yes, oh my gosh for sure. Yeah, just taking on more debt to fund that college degree, that's a bad idea, right, And that's because the payoff. You know so much about how much that degree is going to pay off. It is depending on how much it costs. And so it's your degree. If you get that degree for fifteen thousand dollars versus one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, the payback is going to change. And yeah, there's like the headline about the person who graduates from college is going to make over their lifetime an extra million dollars. But so much depends on where you go, what you spend, what degree you get. And so I want parents and high school students to be a little more thoughtful about kind of what they're choosing to do and maybe not say let me go to the dream school and pay whatever it costs, but be a little more value oriented in their choice.
Speaker 1: Okay, great is my advice as always, and you can get more of that when you listen to how to Money on KFI. We've got the host Joel Lars Guard with us now, but you can listen to them twelve to two every Sunday right here on KFI. Follow them at How to Money, Joel, Thank you, Joelarsguard.
Speaker 8: Thanks Amy, you've been listening to Wake.
Speaker 1: Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app