Speaker 1: Howard Beck. Happy Friday, my friend. Where do we find you right now?
Speaker 2: I happy for Eddie. I'm home in Brooklyn and preparing, bracing myself, gearing up to be at the Garden tomorrow night where your orange and Blue will be taking on what are the Red, White and blue? I think of the Pistons.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm excited, Yeah for sure. And this is a little bit of a throwback.
Speaker 1: And you have to be very old to remember when the Pistons and the next played for anything that mattered, because it's been really a long long time.
Speaker 3: But let's stay out east. Then we'll kind of make our way out this way.
Speaker 1: And if my black hat media magic, you know, if I'm able to, you know, conjure up some magic trick, maybe we'll talk about the Jazz, but I don't know. So let's start with best case scenario for a fifty one team.
Speaker 3: It feels like it has a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: I've heard a lot of people believe that Detroit can make this uncomfortable. So best case scenario for the Knicks, And what do you make of this round one matchup against Detroit?
Speaker 2: I think the Pistons chance. I don't think this is your average three to six matchup, and I think, you know, the biggest knock on the Pistons of the biggest doubt will be simply the fact that this team, in this construction of it, is making its first foray into the postseason. And you know, notably your your key players on that team, Kay Cunningham obviously, and Asar Thompson and many of the others are are young and new to this, and you never know how young players are going to adjust to or react to the spotlight. And the Knicks are a very, very playoff steeped team, So there's that. But the Pistons are tough as heck, and I think we've seen that all season. They have proven that over and over again. They are tough defensively, and I think they have the ability to make life tough on Jalen Brunson and to make the next work for this. I think this series could go the distance, but I do expect the next to win it.
Speaker 1: I will put on my red panda hat for a moment and balance some plates and try to bring a jazz topic in here. I'm not going to ask you about the jazz, but I will ask you about Detroit who a year ago Howard was the worst team in the NBA and the Jazz are the worst team in the NBA. We're waiting to see what the lottery brings. But Detroit, for all their troubles, actually fell to five. Now Kay got hurt and he's everything to them. So I just wondered, from your perspective and vantage point, since we're out here in Salt Lake in the midst of a very very long rebuild, what stands out most to you about the way Detroit has gone about this where they're back in the playoffs and very relevant and should be for a number of years.
Speaker 2: That's a good question where to start there. I mean, look, the Pistons have been in the lottery for most of the last two decades, so I don't think we should look to Detroit as any model for anything. If we want to just take the last you know, four or five years and say, well, you know, how have they finally gotten their feet under them again? I mean, if you're in the lottery enough times and you get the number one pick at least once, which they did to get Kid, uh, cool, But you know a lot of times, like the Pistons have had pretty bad life lottery luck. They've they've slipped a lot of times, and so you know, if anything, there are a lesson in the lottery and being bad or tanking is not a panacea. It's no guarantee of anything. I think the most interesting wrinkle in their evolution of the last couple of years is and this is, of course, after flushing the front office a couple of times, flushing the coaching, you know, the head coach a couple of times, that the current group, led by Trajan Langdon, decided, you know what, we need some veterans in here with our young guys. And I was a skeptic, I'll be honest. I was like, I don't get why they're signing Tobias Harris to a big I don't know. It's only like a two year deal, I think. But I wasn't convinced last summer that that was the move. But they brought in Tobias Harris, and then they later brought in Dennis Shrewder, and they signed Malik Beasley, and they they traded away Quentin Grimes for Tim Hardaway Junior, another deal I did not agree with then and I still kind of don't agree with. And you know, bolstered by the fact that Quentin Grimes traded again from Dallas to Philly went off in Philly down the stretch. Didn't understand it. But I do think that bringing in some of these vets to put around the young guys has helped stabilize them. And obviously the hiring of JB. Bickerstaff fresh off of being five was a huge move for them. So I think some of this is just like, there's a little bit of luck and a little bit of patience and a little bit of you know, finding the right vets at the right time and the right coach at the right time.
Speaker 1: Okay, so tonight we have the Heat and the Hawks in Atlanta for the right to face the Calves. Can either of these two teams make Cleveland even kind of uncomfortable in a playoff series?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, I wish I could pretend that they would. I wish I could sit here and give you the Pollyannish kind of like, hey, you know, anything can happen in a seven game series or what. Let's be honest. There is one major exception this season, and there have been some exceptions in recent seasons, and maybe more often than we used to in the past, but in general, the foll statement holds true. Seventh and eight seeds are cannon fodder in this league, and most first round series involving one eights and two sevens are are predictable and often dull. I'm not expecting much to change this year, other than, of course, the biggest you know outlier to that, which is the Warriors as a seventh seed, and you know, they were very, very very narrowly the seventh seed after losing on you know, Game eighty two, and the West is just that tough and that deep, and the Warriors, you know, if they'd had Jimmy Butler from day one, probably would not be, you know, the seventh seed today. As former team, the Heat who are playing tonight, who you asked about, don't have Jimmy Butler anymore, because that's how trades work. When you trade a guy, you don't have him, you have Andrew Wiggins instead. The Heat that we saw the last few years, you know, play their way out of the play in get to the finals, be this really tough out all the time. Like there's some of that still there, but a lot of that was Jimmy frankly, and you know, Tyler Hero has been really good for them. Bam out of Bio is still Bam out of Bayo. They're still tough, they still play defense, but they just don't have a lot of offense to speak of, and and a lot of you know, not enough ways to just put points on the border create open shots. And the Cavaliers are awesome. So no, I'm not expecting much out of that series. If it's if it's if it's the Heat, or if it's anybody, I don't care who it is.
Speaker 1: The Cavaliers are winning for stre Now, just let me follow up, because I'm taking copious notes so I can learn. So what you're saying is when a team trades a player, that player is no longer on that team.
Speaker 3: Did am I understanding that correctly?
Speaker 2: My vast research indicates that that is the case.
Speaker 3: Oh that is just gold on a Friday, Howard. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Uh, That's what I'm here for.
Speaker 3: I know you are, I know you are.
Speaker 1: I will kick the tires with Pacers bucks because the Pacers found a little something over the final six weeks of the season, and Milwaukee will be without Dame for at least one game. And look, I all always cringe when I hear a media member be like, Hey, I had a torn acl once.
Speaker 3: Here's what happened to me. But I will tell you that I had a blood clout once upon a time, and it SAPs your energy.
Speaker 1: I mean, it really does. I don't know what's what we can expect from Dame. He's going to be out Game one, but the rest of the series, like he is going to take a minute to get back to being full Damed.
Speaker 3: But Milwaukee is Milwaukee and they have Yiannis.
Speaker 1: So this seems to be a series that is a little more intriguing than the others that we've talked about.
Speaker 3: What do you think happens here?
Speaker 2: I'm very intrigued. I was intrigued before we knew what Dame's status was. But it's certainly great news for him and for the Bucks that he's on the mend, and it's great to hear I have not dealt with the blood clot, I have had a torn aco. So I don't know what you know he's to expect from here. I'm imagining that it's going to take several days for him to just get back into game shape, and whenever we see him appear in the series, we probably won't see you know, peak Dame Lillard. But I think that the Bucks were already you know, going to be facing a bit of an uphill battle here, like they have the best player in the series. And you know, one of our playoff axioms in the NBA is go with the team that has the best player, and that's clearly Yannis by quite a bit. However, everything else from two through whatever I think is in the Bucks favor, they've got us in the Pacers favor. I should say the Pacers have more depth there. It's interesting because they're not the prototypical like Championship contender where you've got like an absolute stud top five, top ten player. Tyres Haliburton will probably make all MBA. He was on my ballot, I think, on the third team, but he's not in that Yiannis tier. But they have Siakham and they've got em hard, and they've got Nie Smith, and they've got Miles Turner, and they just got a lot of really good, you know, teaching McCollum. They's got a lot of really good players who contribute and know their roles and play them to the hilt. And they've got a bit of a swagger about them and We saw that last year when they beat the Knicks and then you know, played a really tough series again the Celtics. I think the Pacers have the overall advantage here, you know, even if Dame is back, and even if Dame is at you know, back to one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move out west, and you know, let's start with the You reference the Warriors as the seventh seed, and you know, the the Warriors Grizzlies game was wildly entertaining and we had some real vintage steph fourth quarter moments, the you know, the triple pump, fake three and a couple of dagger threes, and Jimmy was Jimmy over the first three quarters. But Howard after, I don't know, after kind of dialing into that game, and I don't know how many people are really giving the Rockets very much, you know, very much, you know, attention or credit for what they've achieved all year. I don't think Golden State has the size of the length to deal with what amy you Douk has in Houston. Now, you could make an argument that, you know, back to your point about the Pacers bocks, when the team clearly has the best player, you tend to side with that team, and you can make the argument that Golden State has the two best players in the series. And maybe it's not even an argument, maybe they just do. But I'm and Thompson is going to be stuck like glue to steath. And they've got Dylan Brooks, They've got a lot of tough wing defenders, and they've got size down load that I don't think Golden State does. So I've heard a lot of people say, even though it's seven to two, Golden State is going.
Speaker 3: To run through them.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I think this is going to be a dog fight, a bit of a rock fight. So Round one Warriors Rockets, what do you think.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that we have like this just clash of all these different axioms or cherished beliefs, right like Warriors of all the experience. The Rockets, it's their first playoff run with this group, and they've got a lot of youth. So we've got the youth versus experience thing. And we've got yeah, absolute legends you know with with Stephen Draymond and another you know stud with with Jimmy all of them very proven. But we also have to your point a size issue here, where the Rockets have the size advantage across the board. We also have a a little bit of a depth thing where I think I think the Rockets have a little bit better depth. But also there's a youth versus a veteran thing that's you know, forget the experience for a minute, but just youthful legs and you're on an every other day's schedule and you know, you know, Jimmy, Steph and Raymond are all in their mid to late thirties. I could they just wear down. So I think the Warriors have the advantage going in based on all the obvious things to do with playoff experience and know how and just you know, higher level of talent at the top end. But I think the depth and the youth of the Rockets is going in, their size is going to make it really difficult for them. And we saw that a couple of weeks ago when Men Thompson you know, kind of locked up Curry and had you know, Steph had one of his worst games we've seen in years. Can the Warriors do enough to get him off of him, to get and to keep Dylan Brooks and the rest of them off of him as well. That's a question. Can the Rockets, on the flip side of that, though, stick with their double big lineup of Shanngoon and Steven Adams or can the Warriors play those guys? Or you please play play Adams off the court because they're gonna be smaller and running up and down the court and trying to you know, Steven Adams away from the basket. There's a lot of cat and mouse and chess game that's gonna go on here. But I give the Warriors the slight edge.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Since I asked you, I have a feeling you're gonna give me the same answer.
Speaker 3: But maybe not, because you know, it's it's so wild.
Speaker 1: Regarding what's happened in Dallas this year, the wildest thing is simply they traded Luke at twenty five.
Speaker 3: Is a global superstar, a generational talent.
Speaker 1: But because of the kind of the ground swell of what the hell are you doing by doing that? We talk about Anthony Davis like he's Stromiles Swift and he's awesome, right, and like they don't have Kyrie And I'm not saying either of these teams, Memphis or Dallas certainly beats Oklahoma City, but out of the two, which team gives Okay, see at least a little bit pushback Round one.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's hard to stay in part because like the key to Memphis being the answer is John Morant, and Jah is still ailing right now, Like I don't even know, like I haven't seen the latest update, but you know, I think he got some kind of injection and like he didn't practice yentterday, Like is he gonna play it? I assume he'll play tonight, but you know, John Morant. First, the Grizzlies have to get past the mass and then Jahn Morant needs to be you know, close to one hundred percent by Sunday, which is probably not gonna happen. I don't trust what Dallas has, Like there's they don't They don't really have a point guard now, they don't have a lot of shot creation that they get their shot creation through mostly ball movement and just power. But you don't have without Kyrie. You don't have that off the bounced guy who can just penetrate a defense, break it down, force help and then get get you know, get guys in rotation. So I don't I don't trust the Mavericks top level talent right now, they don't have it they need. If you don't have Luca, then you needed Kyrie, and now you don't have Kyrie. They don't have Luca, by the way, because they traded him to the Lakers. And as we've established, once you do that no longer.
Speaker 3: I'm adding the footnote to my earlier note. Thank you hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah for sure. So no, I don't trust these of these teams is going to give Oklahoma much of a challenge. But if it is the Grizzlies who emerge, I think that across the board, they're just better built because they didn't trade their superstar midseason. Right Like, we might have this conversation this time next year, and the Mavericks conversation might be very different, but right now they're a team that needs to take the offseason to kind of fix their roster.
Speaker 1: The four five and the three six man two really good teams are going home after round one. So let's go to Nugs Clips. And you know I talked to you about this last week. Whenever Kwi is healthy for an extended stretch, we're all reminded of oh yeah, that's right. He is still one of those guys and Jeff Van Gundhi giving a lot of credit our guy here on the show. It makes me sadly doesn't join us anymore. But I'm glad that he has a job. I wonder if he's going to get a head coaching job after how we You know, he's kind of been credited by helping Tylu with his defense. I'm not taking anything away from Tye, but Nuggets clips round one. Man. There's a lot on the line here because you know, Denver of course fired their head coach and Howard just so you know, when you fire a head coach, he no longer coaches the team. Uh So, Denver La clip, Denver La clips?
Speaker 3: How does this go down?
Speaker 2: We are just like giving out some like incredible wisdoms. Yes, like your audience, I hope they know how fortunate they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah they should. If they don't, they should.
Speaker 2: Nuggets Clippers like there is there's no such thing as an upset really in a four or five, especially when you've got an identical record. But to the extent that the Clippers are the lower seed, I think they're pulling the upset here. Upset in like quote marks, I really really really respect what the Clippers have been able to do this year like I was, and I'll admit this outright, I thought, Wait, you resigned Kawhi Leonard all this money, but you're letting Paul George walk. What are you doing? Like are you trying to contend or are you not trying to? Like what's going on here? Really you're relying on always hurt Kawhi Leonard and you know you never know what you're going to get from him, James Harden at this stage of his career, and oh, Norm pounds that there's some nice players here, but like, really, where are you guys going with all this? And oh here they are fifty wins. Incredible job by Tyler and as you point out by jeff Bean Gundy who joined the staff this year. Incredible job by James Harden holding it down until Kawhi Leonard got back. Incredible job by Kawhi Leonard becoming Kawhi Leonard again. And you know, being an interest an incredibly dominant player for the last couple of months. The only reason not to believe in the Clippers right now. And they've had one of the best every like every metric you can cite for the last six seven eight weeks. The Clippers are are right up there with the best teams in the league, and the only reason to doubt them would be if you don't trust Kawhi to stay healthy through a series, which fair understandable, We've seen that play many times, or if you don't trust James Harden to come through in the clutch, which again fair, we've seen that play many times. But he doesn't have to be their leading scorer in this case, because they've got Kawhi Leonard, and they've got Norm Powell and Ivika Zubac has had a great season and is one of the few centers who can at least make Jokic work. And the Nuggets are in a weird place. I mean, they, as we know, just fire their GM and coach and one fell swoop with days ago in the regular season, one of the stranger things we've seen, and so I feel like there's still a little bit of a cloud over them, though they did finish strong under Dave Battleman.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe I'm going to ask you this, but I will because this year in the NBA, a lot of paradigms have been shifted and changed. If Denver loses Round one, is there any way that Nikola Jokic decides that he needs another place to play? And is there any way that, like it would have to be a mandate, it would have to be you have to trade me. But hey, we saw Luka traded and if I'm Nikola Jokic, I'm looking around. I'm like, did I'm the best in the world at this and you need to do more to take advantage of me before I'm thirty two to thirty three years old? If they lose round one? What does the offseason look like in Denver?
Speaker 2: In this league, It's always fair to ask that question. There's a part of me that says, like, Eh, like, we can't get ahead of ourselves. Let's not get crazy. Let's not stir it up too much on the Jokics front, especially given the Jokic doesn't seem to be wired that way, that he's not that kind of personality, right, He's not one running around making demands. He's a pretty low maintenance superstar. And I don't expect it. As bad as things have gotten there, or as shaky as things have been, I should say, I don't expect even a first round knockout is going to suddenly cause him to like start stomping his feet and say trade me. But it's the NBA and you just never know, and you can't take guys of his caliber for granted. And it's got to be frustrating, you know. Ever since they won the championship, you know, they lose key rotation players. Now they've fired the GM and the only head coach that he's ever played for in the NBA. There's just a lot of static there right now, and we don't know who the new GM is going to be. We don't know if David Adaman is going to be the permanent head coach. There are questions Jokic and his representation. I'm sure we'll be asking some of those questions, but I don't I feel like we're getting too far ahead of ourselves to speculate on his future at this stage.
Speaker 1: All right, another good team's going home. It's either going to be the Lakers or the Timberwolves. You know, this is the last series that we have not talked about. It's the late game coming up tomorrow night. Obviously the process of watching Luke and Lebron figured this out has been fascinating with two you know, high IQ basketball players like that you give the Timberwolves a puncher's chance here, what do you think happens round one?
Speaker 2: Yes, puncher's chance. The Timberwolves obviously made a big trade right on, you know, the eve of training camp when they swapped out Towns for Julius Randall, And it took them a while to get their feedback under them and and to really you know, integrate Randall and figure out what their identity was now. But they've been really good, another one of those teams where the staying And they won forty nine games, which is not bad at all, But they finished the season much stronger than they began it, so the record is not fully reflective. I think of how dangerous they could be. You know, the Lakers, you know, you're always like, you should never bet against Lebron. We've learned that many many times. And Lebron and Luca together is just absolutely you know, striking fear in the hearts of every coach, every film breakdown, guy like you don't want to face that. But the Lakers don't have a complete roster, They don't have a real traditional big Jackson Hayes will play some nominal minutes out there as the starter at center, but otherwise it's you know, Dorian Finney Smith or Ruy Hashimura. In the Minnesota Timberwolves take advantage with Randall and Rudy Gobert. Randall likes to play bully ball. Who's guarding him. But the flip side of it is the Timberwolves have to contend with with Luca and Lebron. They do have some great primer defenders the Kail Alexander Walker and Anthony Edwards himself and Jade McDaniels and Chris Finch is a really good coach. So I think that siver Wolves can make this a real series. I think this thing could could go six or seven games. I do think the Lakers, just based on the firepower of Lebron and Luca and Austin Grieves have been has had an incredible season as well. So they've got they've got three guys who can hurt you in crunch time, and I'm not sure that Minnesota could say the same.
Speaker 1: All Right, Howard, before I say you lose, I know I've talked to you about this, but now it's time to actually get serious. And you know, as far as casting votes and such, MVP appears to be still pretty highly debated. It's one of those things where I have an opinion and I do think it's Shay, but I also acknowledge that Jokic continues to be historic and I think he's the best player of this generation. Howard Beck take MVP Pro Basketball this year? Is who and why?
Speaker 2: It's It's Shae, And Shae was on my official ballot that I sent in earlier this week. And it's not a knock on Jokic. It never is a knock and I hate so often the MVP discussion has become like how much can you, you know, tear into the other guy's case. Yokis did everything he possibly could and he had another incredible season. So did Shae. And if you want to say, well Yokis did historic things, so did she. And we don't have to get into the neddy gritty of those stats. But it's all there, trust me. But there's also a long standing, you know, structure for this award that is not acknowledged, but it's there. If you look at the history of the award, with very few exceptions, it is usually a player on one of the best teams. And you can't say that about the Nuggets this year. They've barely got the fifty wins, and the Oklahoma City Thunder won sixty eight games sixty eight they were flirting with seventy, and Shay is a really big part of that. He's the most important reason for that. Does he have a better supporting cast, Sure, but that's been the case with this award many many times over the years. It's not punishing a guy who had a great individual season, but his teammates just weren't good enough to get him there. It's no this is the standard. The standard is again a couple of exceptions Russell Westbrook one of the other Yoka Chiers actually, but for the most part, for the last forty years, the MVP goes to a team that is clearly among the elite, and the Thunder one sixty eight games, eighteen more than the Nuggets, sixteen more than any other team in the conference. Shay was the biggest reason for that. He had a phenomenal year offensively. He's a plus defensively as well. I think his case was incredibly strong. I had no reservations about voting for him.
Speaker 1: One more quick one because I mentioned this earlier. You think Jeff gets a look as a head coach, you think somebody, Yeah, you know, I'm biased. I'm the wrong guy to ask anybody should hire him. I mean, that's my guy. But do you think after what's happened with the Clips this year, somebody looks at Jeff van Gunny for a head coaching job.
Speaker 2: I would think so, Spence. I'm not sure where Jeff's head is these days on that. Does he like, is he just enjoying now getting to be like the sage veteran on the bench with the younger head coach in Tylerue, or does he want that head coaching job again and everything that goes with it, all the stress and scrutiny. I know that there were years there during his run with ESPN where you know, he was certainly interested in getting back to the bench, and teams kept passing up on him. So I'm not saying that as a criticism or as any kind of like doubts. I just I don't know what that is, right, Like, I haven't talked to all these owners in GMS about why they didn't hire Jeff any of the other years that they could have, But it felt at a certain point like the league had just decided to move on and he was no longer the hot name or as you know whatever. I don't know what to make of it. It was kind of a mystery. But he spent that year with Boston. He's now but on the bench with the Clippers. He's getting a ton of credit, deserving credit for how the Clippers have you know, built their defense this year, especially without Kawhi for most of it. I gotta think that that is getting him some notice. And if he wants to be a coach again, you know, we know there's already a few openings and there will probably be a couple of more.
Speaker 3: All right, my friend, Well, great time of year.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your time and the intimate knowledge of how transactions work in pro basketball. Howard, have a great weekend, Buddy, will chat to you right the great Howard back NBA playoffs.
Speaker 3: It is time.
Speaker 1: Howard Beck one of the best writers in the NBA writer ecosystem at Howard Beck on Twitter and then he'll send you to his blue sky because he doesn't tweet anymore. But I always appreciate Howard's time. All right, I've got a great deal for you guys. Okay, So last week, if you listened to the show first of all thank you. We were out in Sandy at the shops at Southtown, and today we were supposed to be out at Fashion Place Mall and Murray above the inclement weather knocked out remote out, but they're still doing it. It's Homestead Steaks. Here's what you get. You get twenty ribbys for forty dollars. And last week they sent me home with a box of meat and the ribbuys were in there, the New York strips were in there, and I've been eating steak all week long. Probably need to take a little bit of a break for honest, but it is. They're high quality cuts. So if you're looking for a way to feed a family, if you're looking for a way to maybe want a barbecue now that the spring is getting closer, it's an incredible deal. And they're actually really high quality pieces of meat. So twenty Ribbi steaks, big old fat Ribbi steaks for only forty dollars. Okay, it's the Homestead Steaks weekend meal deal. The locations right now fashion Place Mall in Murray, the Shops at Southtown in Sandy, and then the Provo Town Center Mall. Fashion Place is located at sixty one to ninety one South State Street in Murray. Sixty one ninety one South State Street. It's a big old truck out there. ESPN seven hundred van is right out front, and they also have half priced bulk deals on steak, chicken, pork chops and seafood. A bulk family party pack to fill your freezer with New York strips, filets, mega ribbis, gourmet smash burgers, plus chicken and seafood. All payments are accepted cash, credit, debit, and EBT. You put this bad boy in your freezer. You put these steaks and these cuts in your freezer, then you've got food for weeks. You don't have to worry about your grocery bill, and you save a grip of money. With our friends at Homestead steaks twenty ribbis for only forty dollars. It is their weekend meal deal going on right now at Fashion Place Mall and Murray, the shops at Southtown and Sandy and Provo Town Center Mall as well. Howard Beck stops by courtesy today of our friends at IFA Country Stores. Any drive to the basket begins with the first step on the core. That's the ultimate power move. IFA Step one crabgrass Preventer and their lawn food is the first choice to give your yard the healthy, thick green look you desire.
Speaker 3: The neighbors will be green with envy.
Speaker 1: Shop iifan line at ifa dot co op or stop by one of their eighteen Utai locations.
Speaker 3: Today, our good friends