Speaker 1: Thanks for checking out the podcast version of the show. You can find us every morning six until ten on Austin's eighty station one O three point one. You can stream us on the iHeartRadio app as well. Enjoy the show one three one Austin dot com. It's the JB and Sandy Show. You can listen online at one O three to one Austin dot com. All right, thanks for being with us. My name is Sandy, This is JB. Hello, and Tricia's here too. Hi everybody, and away we go. And I want to start out this is a really funny but incredibly relatable clip that I got off of Instagram. And I think every guy has had a conversation really similarly to this with his wife. I know Tricia and I have, and she's pointed it out a couple times about how guys just don't get just don't get all the details of things that are going on when they come back and tell their wives.
Speaker 2: Here's a great example of it.
Speaker 3: I told my wife, I'm like, hey, my buddy Jordan got engaged, and she goes, oh my gosh, tell me everything I just did. I told you everything that I learned from that conversation, and She's like, no, like, how did they get engaged?
Speaker 2: How did he propose? I didn't ask. We don't ask each other those questions.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how old he is. And she goes, why don't guys ask each other more questions? Like we do you know?
Speaker 2: Like I asked him.
Speaker 3: I was like, hey, are you sure? Now, as far as that conversation, I learned what I needed to learn. Number One, he's engaged. Number two the date of the bachelor party. I want to need to know basis and if Jordan's not going to volunteer that information to me, which he didn't, Thank god, I don't need to know.
Speaker 2: So okay, thanks by. It's great to know. Guys, we're not alone in this.
Speaker 1: We're not alone in this because I've gone through this with Trisha more than once.
Speaker 4: I just don't understand why is there no curiosity about Like the biggest example is when you're like, yeah, so so had their baby. They had their baby, Go, oh my god, what was it? And you're like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't I didn't ask, And I'm like, oh my god, that's the number one question, and you I don't know how your brain isn't interested in that information short attention spans.
Speaker 1: That's why, because it's probably from talking to the whoever having a baby to the fact that the Dallas Stars won last night.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, it's just like that fast it happens. JB. I know you've gone through the same thing. Oh, I know. It's it's funny.
Speaker 6: I joke that now if I'm catching up with someone, I need to just record it from and then I have AI do a summery. But it's like a couple of my old college buddies and I got together last fall and we took a trip up to Palladero Canyon and my wife's like, what do you guys talk about? And I'm like, nothing, really, you spend about the first five minutes catching up, you know, and it's not much. It's it's more of a courtesy, like how the kids. Yeah, we don't even ask how the spouses are doing.
Speaker 1: You know what, Jamie, I think. I'm sorry. I think this is a great example. Like guys, Let's say guys spend an hour together, right, guys will have in one hour they will cover thirty different topics of what's going on, what they're talking about.
Speaker 4: Girls one y'all are ahead one girl headliners one. Yeah, that's what it is. Y'all. Just read the headlines, girls, read the whole article.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll just cover thirty things that have happened, or thirty different conversations, and the girls will.
Speaker 4: Have one is there ever a? And then he said this to me, and then somebody else goes and then what did you say? And then the other person that's what a whole girl's conversation is, and then he said what and then who said that? Like, we have to like get the whole picture. Y'all just want the summary, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: I think that's so weird.
Speaker 1: I mean, we are we are X and you our novels. That's where it is, right, You're right, it's just the way that it is.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: But we're not going to change. But when I saw that clip, I was like, God, I'm glad it's not just me. Noah.
Speaker 2: And now I try to maybe I'll make an effort.
Speaker 1: When I'm talking to someone and they tell me that they someone's having a baby, I'll find out if it.
Speaker 2: Was a boy or girl.
Speaker 4: When you're talking about babies, I need to know if as a boy or girl, and I need to know the name. And also with dogs, I need to know the dogs' names very important information for me.
Speaker 6: That's funny if I go to get coffee, like with my wife, We'll walk down to South Congress and I'll bump into people that I see all the time at the coffee shop, and I only know I don't know their names. I just know what kind of motorcycle or car they drive. And my wife will be real curious because I'll be like, you know, I'll say hi to someone and she'll be like, who's that And I go, I don't know his name.
Speaker 2: He has a really cool Dakati motorcycle.
Speaker 6: That's how you know. That's we just live on this surface level. Yeah, And it's easier that way.
Speaker 1: And it's the same way with me when I walk on the Brushy Creek trail, I know people. I see the same people and know they're they're dog's names, but I don't know by the way, Triss, I ran into Mini.
Speaker 4: Oh is she fine?
Speaker 2: Just cancer? Oh?
Speaker 1: This a little dog, many Australian shepherd that we see on the walk all the time, and she's been going back and forth to College Station to go to get her cancer treatments. There they're the best boy. And that's the truth. That's when you love your aggies. When your dogs are sick. Yeah right, animals are sick, you put all all prejudice aside.
Speaker 6: I think even when Beavo's sick, they've gone to college station, do you No, really, I don't quote me on that, but I think I mean odds are well, yeah, a large animal veterinarian in Texas is going to be an aggie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think I think that long Arms even put their pride side in that scenario.
Speaker 4: You know what, I think that's amazing. I love that they're like, nope, that's an animal involved. Everybody just step back.
Speaker 1: And all the aggies when they need dental work, they come to you. And that's that's that's really often. Sorry, I couldn't resist. You know, my daughter's gonna end up at a and m I'm gonna be eating all these words.
Speaker 4: Yeah you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna be doing in the stands.
Speaker 1: I'll be the sawn them off guy and the stands at the football games and the whole thing. So she's got kind of got her heart set on that. I hope it works out. Uh, coming up on the show today, make sure. We got rapid fire for Q, Rapid fire Q and A with JB where we throw three rapid questions at him. Nothing serious. They're always kind of fun but maybe make you think a little bit. So stick around. That's about seven twenty five this morning, and up next Trisha's going to report the news and the story we love.
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 4: All right, so move over, acl because there's a new music fest in town. And wait until I tell you who's sponsoring it. You'll be surprised, but also you'll go, of course they are.
Speaker 1: Oh really, mm hmm, okay, all right, stay with us. That's coming up. I know a music festival in Austin, because we need another one. But Tristia says the sponsor the presenters of this, you say, of course they are, yep, all right, that's just a minute away.
Speaker 2: It's kind of.
Speaker 1: Very small towny news, but a big deal. Fox bit some women. This was this in San Marcus, San Marcus. On the trail in San Marcus. One woman got bit the fox.
Speaker 2: Bitter.
Speaker 4: She's just out walking, middle of the day, bitter. She kicked him and threw him off of her. He came back at her. She threw him off of her five times, sucker bitter five times and ran off. They haven't been able to find it, and so they're pretty sure that it's rabid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a fox won't act like that normal.
Speaker 4: Noah, No, the chances of a fox attacking a human yeah, very small.
Speaker 6: I mean, sem I see him in my neighborhood. Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 1: They're pretty skittish, yeah, real skittish as a matter of fact, for so far him to come after you.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: At first, that Texas Wildlife people thought maybe there was a din around. They went out there and searched all around and couldn't find it in and now they can't find the fox. So probably that fox is dead. But that woman's having to go through like the whole series of raby shots.
Speaker 2: That's miserable.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I've heard that too.
Speaker 2: It makes me think of.
Speaker 6: Was it in nineteen twenty three where she had to get the shots in the stomach? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, cause a rabies it's like a big needle right in the stomach.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if it's changed much, right, I don't know. I think that was a cringey scene. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: She pregnant too when she was Yeah, that's not good speaking of.
Speaker 2: Kind of critters and stuff. It's snake season.
Speaker 1: It's that time of year, and the hotter we get, the more we're going to see of mister no shoulders. It's always important to remember that the best thing you can have with you if you were to get bit by a rattlesnake as your car keys, and that is to get to the doctor as fast as you can. But if you stumble upon a snake, just back away from it. They're not going to chase you down. They're not aggressive, you know what I mean. It's normally people get bit when they're screwing with snakes, or they just literally almost step on them, right, that's when you get bit. So but boy, you see in a snake startles me. I'm not really afraid.
Speaker 4: Ran over one a couple of weeks ago, didn't you?
Speaker 2: I did? I did.
Speaker 1: I ran over one and then I backed up, made sure he was he was gone. And it was a rattlesnake, and it was in a residential neighborhood. And I didn't want to, you know what I mean, you don't want that cruising around. So I saw this video of a guy clearly I spent too much time on Instagram. But dude was walking around like targets, Walmarts, big box stores with a snake in his hand, a small snake and it was coiled up, and he'd walk up to people and go, excuse me, would.
Speaker 2: You hold my snake? Immediately no, and extend his hand. Oh my god. The reactions from people unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Mean, I would think.
Speaker 1: The funny, funny, funny, like what twisted person came up with that? That's funny to go out and do that so much awesome stories we love.
Speaker 6: Live from the Lesterholt Studio, here's Trisha and Milititia.
Speaker 4: ACHB is launching a live music series called True Texas Tunes and JB. It's going to be right down the street from you because it's going to be playing live at the multi story location on South Congress that just opened in December.
Speaker 2: The multi story at ACHIB, the multi.
Speaker 4: Story CHIB location on South Congress. I know they're doing this because they're pairing up with an Austin nonprofit group called Housing Opportunities for Musicians and Entertainers. It's known as HOME and it's bringing live music out to help donate to HOME. What HOME does is they help people who are old retiring musicians have housing security.
Speaker 6: You don't retire as a musician, I know, you till you die, right, that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you, But.
Speaker 4: Here's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 6: Okay, I to poo poo on this story because I know this is a source subject with Sandy too, going way back a lot. We have a lot of these musician charities around town. What qualifies you.
Speaker 2: For the insurance?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think, like you pointed out, you go, what if I show up and say I play the spoons?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Can I get some of that insurance? Because insurance is a hard racket right now? Yeah, finding it because.
Speaker 6: My theory is if you're a good enough musician, the money will come.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But there's a lot of awesome nites who feel like they deserve a handout because they bought a guitar a guitar center.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, they really? You're right?
Speaker 1: And how do you call it? You have to play X number of gigs, you have to make x amount of money?
Speaker 2: I mean, what is it?
Speaker 6: I'm all for it in some capacity, but something I just don't know where and how they draw the line, right.
Speaker 4: How they qualify somebody?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this though. If HGB is doing this music is it's not a festival to.
Speaker 4: Series, right, it's a live music series. And in fact, it kicks off on May seventeenth at the Soco hib location and it's from eleven am to one pm live music every third Saturday of the month. The first performance again on May seventeenth is from Marshall Ball's Boogie Trinity.
Speaker 1: Well, if AGB is doing it, it will be done right. Oh yeah, I mean that's just the way CHIB does things. Everything they do, they do it really really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this will be a good music series. And I remember for when I first moved here and I lived off of Great Hills Trail and I went to the Randalls that kind of really random Randalls on Spicewood Springs. Do you know what I'm talking about? Off of by the just past, Like, what is that north of the Arboretum. There's a there's a Randalls back there. There's also a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, when I first moved here, I went in there and I was walking in on a Saturday and there was a band playing. Wow, I'm like, it's the weirdest town in the world, the world.
Speaker 2: There was a band playing at the grocery. Oh you're thinking of the old Simon David.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, in the arboretum in the Yeah, it turned into like a sax.
Speaker 6: Yes, they had like a grand piano upstairs.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 6: Oh I know.
Speaker 2: I remember my dad was visiting and we went.
Speaker 6: You know, all the kids were real little, his grandkids, and so we go to Central Market, which everyone can agree on. The kids can run around. Yeah, and Susie Bogas, I think that not Susie Gibson. Susan Gibson was playing and she wrote wide Open Spaces. Yeah, and she's performing that, and my dad's like only in Austin. And here's someone who wrote an iconic song like that just playing at a grocery store.
Speaker 4: At grocery store.
Speaker 2: It's it's pretty cool. Though. There was an artist named Susie Bougus too, Where did that come from? And Susan Gibson.
Speaker 4: Sandy now here we go with Susie Bogas.
Speaker 2: Oh you got a thing for her? Oh? Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: And I still have an autographed eight by ten of her. Oh for dragger, Yeah, And I went, I don't it's not handy, right, now.
Speaker 4: He normally has it handy. That's what's even weirder about this story.
Speaker 1: She covered a song called Drive South and it's great and she yodels too by j.
Speaker 2: She yodels, so does jewels? You know jewel yodels? Yeah, yeah, you didn't know that.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 4: To know that, I think is weird.
Speaker 1: Hey JB, speaking of your dad, did you mention that oyster festival to him this weekend?
Speaker 2: I'm no, I forgot about that. What is that Texas on that?
Speaker 1: The Texas in the Oyster Fest happens on Friday at the far Out Lounge and Stage. It's a it's a food and music festival celebrating oysters.
Speaker 4: So hey, yay oysters, Ray oysters.
Speaker 1: Tricia quid et them because she found out they were still alive when you need them.
Speaker 4: How did I have that information? Like I've talked about in the last two years, I found that out. I need them all day long on a cracker with some cocktail sauce and some horseradish, And the second Sandy said, you know they're alive when you put them in your mouth, I was out.
Speaker 2: I'm out. Any other names announced for this music series are just that one.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 4: There are other performances by Floyd Domino, Midnight Snack. I like that name and Sister Golden Hair, and a lot more will come after that Golden Hair from the seventies. I don't know, I know there's that Sister Golden Hair song. Right, this is a band appearing.
Speaker 6: Oh that's the title of the song, the yeah America did Sister Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh that's what I was thinking of.
Speaker 4: I was like, great song, though, great song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that'll be cool again. You know Agb's doing it. It'll be done very very well. Yep.
Speaker 4: So again it starts. The first one is May seventeenth, eleven to one, and they will be every third Saturday of the month for a while.
Speaker 1: Talk about sponsorship, opportunity for food and stuff. Yeah, built in for you right there. Pretty smart, that's the story. We love. Don't go anywhere. We've got rapid fire, Q and A questions for JB. Here's one question I'll let you think about a little bit, JB before we get there.
Speaker 2: If you could take two years.
Speaker 1: Of your life off to learn and perfect something, what would it be.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you the only thing I'll tell you about my question JB, is that you need to stretch for my question?
Speaker 2: Oh no, blimber up. I am not.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm not flexible at all. Okay, well, this will be challenging for you.
Speaker 2: Then to crowd.
Speaker 1: It's coming up in just a bit on Austin's eighties station one oh three point one rapid Fire, Q and A got three questions for JB and just a moment, just a quick ut baseball update. They fell from the number one spot there now ranked number three after losing the series to Florida over the weekend at the Dish, but they're still ranked number three in the weekend.
Speaker 6: You don't want to go into the tournament ranked number one, right, It's kind of a it's too much pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: So they've got the OU this weekend and then it's on to the SEC tournament and then from there it's on to the Regionals and Super Regionals and all that stuff. Eventually, hopefully the Longhorns end up in Omaha for the College World Series. They definitely have the team to get there, but you got to be playing good baseball at the right time.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: Craig Way's got the call of every game right here on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Those are our rapid Fire Q and A lasers that we paid extra for in the DJ starter pack.
Speaker 2: I want you to know I paid extra for.
Speaker 4: The lasers, and that means everything's on record once you hear the lasers, So answer carefully when I upgrade.
Speaker 1: When I was getting the package that before you check out, they're like, would you like to upgrade to the laser package you order?
Speaker 4: In the next four minutes, we got like forty percent off.
Speaker 2: I was like, what the hell, I'll get the lasers. So I did first question for you JP.
Speaker 1: All right, if you could take two years of your life off to go learn and perfect something.
Speaker 6: What would it be? Mm tantric sex all Sting style. I'll leave that to Sting. I'll leave that to Sting. No, A couple things come to mind. One I think would be very cool and there's no excuses for not doing this. I'll preface it by saying that it'd be cool to immerse and learn to play guitar, Like, I think that would be really cool. Another thing I think would be I would love to be just immersive.
Speaker 2: Live in Germany.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can speak at enough German that I sound like a kindergartener.
Speaker 2: But I think it.
Speaker 6: Would be it would be really cool just to be immersed in another country and fully, fully, fully learn a language.
Speaker 1: I'm stealing that. I would love that too, right, I'd go to Mexico, But I mean I would like to do it, you know, I think I could spend it. If I have two years, I could spend a year in Germany and a year immersed in Mexico and be pretty good at both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the year's time. I think you're right, full immersion, So yeah, how cool would that be? Just real quick? What would you do?
Speaker 4: I feel like mine would be Mexico. Also, I just always think about people who do that. How stressful it must be the first few weeks and months you're there when you don't know the language, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Thank God for Google translations.
Speaker 4: I mean sure, but you can't rely on that if the whole reason you're going is to be immersed your stuff and learn the language.
Speaker 6: I mean, the part that I've learned it's hard is all Germans speak English, very good English, and so as soon as they figure out your American, they love to use their English on you.
Speaker 4: But you're like, I want to use my German on you right, that's good answer.
Speaker 2: I like that. I don't know another laser. Well, that means we're moving on to question number two.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, you're put under under oath for every question. Here's my question. This is the one that I needed you to stretch for.
Speaker 2: JB.
Speaker 4: Can you or can you not still sit criss cross apple sauce on the floor like a small children.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 4: And try it, do I have?
Speaker 2: I guess I need to. Can you can you see the world? JB?
Speaker 1: Let's see? Let's see all right. JB's up and out of his chair now getting.
Speaker 2: On the ground. I like camera gear over here.
Speaker 1: Don't break anything. He's on the ground. He's doing this injured too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ah, well done, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now see if you can stand up without using your hands.
Speaker 2: It's the hard parts.
Speaker 4: You can do it. I can do it.
Speaker 1: No, I know.
Speaker 4: There's a way to do it from sitting.
Speaker 2: There's no way.
Speaker 6: Okay, I mean I could flip to my knees and.
Speaker 2: Get up, but no way.
Speaker 4: Well, good job, though, Chris Cross Apples.
Speaker 6: Sauce, flexibility Man, God, join the club man, show that club.
Speaker 4: The other challenge I could have given you about getting on the floor is our daughter had to do this a couple of weeks ago. Is to go from a standing position to laying on the floor without bending your knees. Was it laying on the floor just sitting on the floor without bending your knees standing to sitting?
Speaker 6: There's can There's a bunch of stuff that women physically can do that men can't. Like you ever seen them doing that test where you lean against a wall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of things that women physically can do differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't remember that I did. I tried the one, not tres so I feel like it was standing to laying down?
Speaker 4: Well, no, because otherwise and you could just fall forward and you'd be laying down. It's standing to the final position as you're sitting on the floor, about your legs in front of you, and at no point can you bing trees? And you think it's simple, but then when you get into it, you're like, first of all, how do I get down there? It was very funny when we were all three doing it in our daughter's room a couple of.
Speaker 6: Weeks Again, you ever do a workout class where they have you hold a kettlebell and you have to get down on the ground and hold it up over your head the whole time. Oh no, oh no, You're getting up and down off the ground holding a kettlebell over your head.
Speaker 2: It's one of the hardest things I've ever done.
Speaker 1: I think all the kettlebell stuff looks really hard, you know, just even just holding it and doing a squat. Yeah, yeah, it just I don't know, there's something about it just looks hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then I go.
Speaker 6: I go to those kind of classes just often enough that I can't move the next day, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like if I stick with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right. Final question for you JB and Rapid Fire Q and A. What is the last thing that you dug your heels into with your wife said?
Speaker 2: No, oh, oh, I just did this. I just did this.
Speaker 6: So my daughter's looking for a new place, a new place to rent, and she decided apartment life is not for me. She wants to rent a house, a town home or duplex. She wants a little more space and privacy, I guess. And so we've been looking. Rent's expensive in this town. I'm not gonna lie to you, and I dug my heels in on the price we were going to spend because my wife was immediately going over by one hundred, two hundred, three hundred dollars. And I'm like, wait, do you remember just a couple of years ago when we said, well, if we go up one hundred, two hundred and three hundred dollars, she can get a much nicer apartment, which she did, right, And now we're going up another two dred Like, stop, that is the number that do not go over there? Do you want to even search over that number? I don't care how stunning it is.
Speaker 2: You know, he's going to spin over that Nune, you're going to go.
Speaker 4: To that number. Is she a little bit attracted to you that you were very all?
Speaker 6: No, she loves to spend money more than any authoritative Yeah. Oh I've I've been a pushover in the past. Now I dig my heels in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, the answer right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like nope, we've already we're already pushing it on the price. We're already pushing it.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 1: But have you ever notice it somehow? And it's not always like this with Tricia, but within our world sometimes her yes, seems to outweigh my no.
Speaker 2: Totally. Yeah. Is that weigh with you too, especially when your wife and daughter team up on you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yes, sure that's it's not even a team up. But a lot of times too, you don't even, Sandy, You're just like asking one. You're just like, I don't even I'm not even gonna put any answer. It just ask mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because most of the times I know that if you disagree with that, my answer won't matter.
Speaker 4: What I think is when you don't care about it, You're like, eah, I just do whatever your mom says. If you come in with some strong opinion and some line in the sand, then I'm like, all right, So he's standing up on this one. We got to listen to himlet' see what he says. I pick my battles, Pick my battles. That is rapid fire.
Speaker 2: Q and A.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for listening. We do appreciate it. Find us every morning on the radio from six until ten on Austin's eighty station one O three point one. Ask your smart device to play one oh three to one Austin