Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Ina. It is five oh five here at Kentucky Anda's Morning News on news Radio eight forty. Whas Nick coffee. That's me. Let's get a roll call. Scott Fitzgerald in the house. What up? We've got mister John Olden also produd morning, and we'll have John Shannon with his first news update coming up around five thirty. We're learning a lot about each other here. We've known each other a long time, but obviously now we're we're still in the early phases of working a show together. And I knew this already, but it's goot your morning guy. I am morning big Morning Bobs, Yep, yep, And I want to let you know that I also believe that I'm a morning guy. But I'm not at all saying I'm on your level because I'm not sure many are. And I mean this in a good way, because this is it's infectious right, ready to get the day started, high energy, John. I don't know if you're high. I don't know if you're a morning guy or not. To be honest with you, because at times it hasn't necessarily seemed that way was a morning guy. Okay, so even before you had a newborn baby that that you know, obviously up a lot of your time right now. That's the phase you're in as a new parent, before that in your previous world, because it is two different worlds pre parent and when you're a parent, those are the two worlds. Were you a morning person or no.
Speaker 2: I think I was in the sense that I had a good attitude about it. But I don't like getting up, you know, at four in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you, maybe weren't as enthusiastic as some.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think until if you meet one Scott Fitzgerald, I don't think it's possible to match his morning energy.
Speaker 1: I love it because it helps me get the energy flowing as well. And I remember it's going back to the time I was on in the mornings on seven ninety. I mean, I feel bad calling it mornings because it started at seven and I thought, oh wow, man, it's going to be tough for me, real adjustment. And now whenever it hit seven o'clock we're halfway through the show. So this is actually I mean, this is more so late night early morning than anything else. But I remember really liking being on the air to get people rolling you know to get the day started and bring some energy. But I remember some saying, Okay, I need at least a little bit of coffee before I get you, because I'm not ready yet. There are people that need a little bit of their own time before they can really handle somebody that's enthusiastic in the morning. And I say this knowing it because I live with one. My wife not a big morning person. She's good if I'm zippity dooo doo all ready to start the day high energy, She's appreciative of it, but she just needs her time. So you know, hopefully if you're up with us at five am, you're ready to start your day too. If not, I feel like it's our duty to assist in that. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know who's like your wife, and that is Kentucky Derby winning trainer Bill Mott was.
Speaker 1: Not aware now what he's ever made the comparison to my wife and Bill Mott.
Speaker 3: When we run the Backside Derby morning, it was funny. We were there with Linda who runs the counseling center there. Well, Bill Mott comes walking in Linda's ruined coffee because you don't get the coffee and donuts on Derby Day and oaks Dale like you do throughout. So he came looking for coffee and he wanders into the office and you wouldn't know him if you saw him, and he just asked, Linday, He says, can I have a couple of coffee? While I saw him there, and instinctively I took the opportunity to say, hey, can I chat with you on Derby Day? And he goes, I was You're a proud talk to you anytime. He says, I'm gonna be straight with you. I need coffee before I can talk to anybody. And he's very honest about it.
Speaker 1: There are many that have that. It's got to be a more of a mental thing, right. A coffee does give you a boost, There's no doubt about it. And it's a huge step in I think the morning routine for a lot of people, but it's certainly a mental because you can just take a sip and I feel like people are like, all right, I'm ready ye, And at that point I don't think the coffee's really done much. But I get it. Everybody's got, you know, it's routine and consistency. So even if it is more of a mental thing, I understand, trust me. Yeah, all right, so we're gonna have a fun morning. At least we are. I say we, meaning myself, Scott Fitzgerald, John Shannon, John Alden. Hopefully you guys will have some fun as well, because we got a lot to get into. There is still, i suppose, what they call unrest in California. We'll talk to Rory O'Neill coming up at five forty five get the latest on the immigration raids in California and now it's turned to looting this which hate hate to say that, I'm not surprised, but I'm not surprised. So that'll continue to be something that we discussed throughout the morning. Also, Mayor Greenberg did talk yesterday and was asked about the protests happening here in Louisville at this point still seemed seems to be very peaceful, which is which is what you want. But we'll let you guys hear that. And since the real focus on getting Bargetown Road Highlands that area in check, if you will. We've seen some some liquor licenses be revoked or places simply be shut down for not having a liquor license. There's a story from yesterday that I want to that I want to hit on because it sounds like this may not be the last business here in the next few days to be reprimanded shut down, whatever penalty is is is needed because they're not only maybe not only do they maybe not have a liquor license or it's expired, they're they're serving alcohol to people that are not of age. So if you're somebody that's been cutting corners, breaking rules as an institution that serves alcohol, you might want to make sure you get things cleaned up because they're looking for you. Just keep that in mind. Also, I know Scott's going to have plenty of stuff this morning when it comes to sports, But Vince Barrow to Louisville, I've got what if I told you guys, I had seventy seconds of Kentucky fans melting down, calling in, calling in to KSR, just upset about it. So we'll let you hear some of that. Also, some big rule changes coming to college basketball, which is exciting to me. I'm a college basketball nerd. So let's have a morning, fellas. It's five to eleven. Your first update of traffic and weather is right here, right now on News Radio eight forty WHAS five point fifteen here at Kentucky's Morning News. But Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas take us with you wherever you go this morning. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. So here's the uh, here's the latest on the on the I guess the situation. That's the best way I'm trying not to to. I mean, calling that riots, is that out of line? I don't know. I'm sure some people would be bothered by that and not agree that it is writing that is going on. Some would call it peaceful protesting. I think what some people may call it peaceful protesting may actually be rioting in the eyes of others. So you really just never know. But unrest. There's unrest in in California as these protests continue. And now we have looting that has taken place overnight, looting at stores in La along Broadway, an Adidas store, an Apple store. I actually saw some footage of the Apple store, and I don't know why that that that just I can't watch it like I have to. If the clip is forty five seconds, I'll get thirty seconds in and get the gist of what is going on, and it's maybe I'm soft. I don't know what it is, but I just prefer not to watch that kind of stuff. I mean, that makes sense. It's weird. It's one of those things that I can't quite put a finger on why. I just try to avoid looking at it. It's not as if I'm watching somebody be hurt, but I guess just to see something just completely damaged with no regard, no care at all of the destruction, and of course you know theft. Yeah, it's wild. So yeah, the Adida store, apple store, a place called Shoe Palace, different dispensaries, a pharmacy, and a jewelry store building. Some police vehicles were defaced with graffiti across the ten block radius. So it's not getting any better.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if we'll have I mean, we'll talk to Rory O'Neil, and I'm not sure he can predict the future. In fact, I'm pretty confident he can't know if it's to Rory, if anybody could, it would be him. But as far as where this goes from here, I don't really know. I mean, like we talked about yesterday, Scott, these things will run their course, but I kind of get a sense, and it's just a gut feeling that it may get a little worse before it gets better.
Speaker 3: Sure, and when you see these unfolded, and certainly Los Angeles is no stranger to riots, they've come aways. What I like when I hear you talk about this is the fact that it doesn't sound like the rioting is spreading. It's not spreading to other cities. So the communities sometimes you'll see these things to this level bingo, and you'll start to see people, hey, call the action, do this, do this, do this. So it's pretty much contained to la which they will. They'll get a handle on it. It just takes time to get a handle on it. I did see we had the ice protests yesterday here in Louisville. Peaceful folks were just marching along, which is great. It's great to see. It's great to see our community come together. Know Baltimore has had some protests other cities as a matter of fact, But these things start once you let that riding genie out of the bottle, is extremely hard to put it back in until it just dies itself out.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's got it. We talked about morning vibes being infectious. Yeah, and a bad way. I think you see somebody be the first to really cross a line, then then it's then it's full go for a lot of people. Which that's to your point, that's where it gets that's where it gets scary.
Speaker 3: Where was it Vancouver, I think is where it was when they had the economic protest. That's how that kind of started. And because you're thinking economic protests.
Speaker 1: And that's really when it gets out that when it gets almost uncontrollable exactly I mean, and that's why I think you that's why you would end up needing the real resources that that that President Trump is is putting in place to keep it from getting to that. So, as you mentioned here Louisville and Louisville, it's been it's been peaceful.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Mayor Greenberg, he's he's expressed confidence that the city's equipped to handle it. But he's also in fact, I think he repeated it a couple of times in his comment yesterday which I'm about to play for you guys, that says will not we will not tolerate anybody who's doing this, I guess in a non peaceful way instead of paraphrasing, I'll just let you guys hear him for for yourself.
Speaker 5: I will not tolerate l MPD, will not tolerate damage to property, we will not tolerate risk and danger to others, and so that we don't expect to occur here, and so we will continue to move forward with lmpd's focus. I'm preventing and responding to violent crime.
Speaker 1: So again that'll be a early story. We continue to monitor. You guys may have missed this overnight, and I mean literally, it just it happened actually this morning more so than overnight. But first thing I saw when I woke up and was sleep walking into the into the kitchen at the early early morning hours that I now get up, I popped open my phone in the first tweet, I guess the first X post I saw was Elon Musk apologizing for his tweets last week comments via X I should say about President Trump. So yeah, not often do you see somebody in that position, somebody of that status, that power, apologize and say I was wrong. But you know, he did pick an internet fight with the President of the United States, somebody that is actually more powerful, and hefit seems so we'll get to all that when we talk with Roy O'Neal coming up at five forty five. Your next update of traffic and weather is right here, right now on news Radio eight forty whas it is five thirty five here at Kentucky and this morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. So, last week we had a bar, I believe a hookah lounge that was that was shut down because they did not have a liquor license. And you know, I'm sure anytime that happens, it's probably going to get some some attention, meaning it's going to be going to be gonna end up in the news. But maybe maybe I'm wrong, But right now it appears that they are cracking down on really just making sure that everybody is playing by the rules as far as liquor licenses and serving alcohol to people that are of age. But there's a Louisville bar in German Town that has been shut down by city officials. This took place over the weekend due to quote, serious violations involving underage drinking, over service, and public safety. So Little Metro Alcoholic Beverage said in a news release yesterday that they have detectives that inspected twenty first in Germantown that's the name of the of the bar, just after midnight June eighth, after a pattern of violations, including underage drinking and the arrest of a severely impaired driver who had just left the bar. So that's one of those things that when I go out in a previous world, I don't go out much at all anymore. Kind of miss that life. But you know, life changes when you get older and you have kids. But I rarely I'm so far removed from being twenty one. I rarely even think of anybody being idd but you really have to. It's probably something that after a while you just, I don't want to say you get lazy, but you just start to maybe trust your judgment of someone's age a little bit more than you should. Oh, you get enforcement fatigued.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're busy, you're not checking ideas every so often, you more than you should. You're right, and I know this place real well. Was a shocker to me to find out that that came down down the wire. But again I applauded the mayor for stepping up there because I will tell you when my son and I guess I can admit this that you know that he's dad. There's places we can buy and we can go out, and he was telling me where they I'll tell you out the air where one of them was.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's do you think it's more so just because they're they're loose, or do you think that they don't like they don't they don't care.
Speaker 3: I think it's a combination of both. Yeah, I'll tell you what I was thinking about this one. But it was interesting about that tease.
Speaker 1: I'm getting that stuff, and.
Speaker 3: Now every time I drive by it, I'm like, uh, you know, you look at it and you go and he's like, yeah, Dad's legit. And he says everybody knows about it, nobody tells you, and I never would have suspected it. So you know, those things happened. So this didn't surprise me when I heard this news. I mean, I'm glad the mayor is stepping up and really enforcing this and cracking down on this.
Speaker 1: It has to when you get carded. I mean, I haven't gotten carted for beer at a restaurant in a long time, haven't got I mean, I get carted when I in fact yesterday, I went to go pick up. I went to go my wife needed a specific ingredient that she did not have when she was preparing dinner. So, you know, this has kind of become a thing. If she needs me to run and make a last minute purchase to help her complete dinner, I'll also throw them, you know, six pack of beer or something like that.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: So I'll go through the self checkout and they need my ID, but just to scan it, not to like actually look at it. I could give them an idea of my grandmother and they you know, they're not worried that I'm not twenty one, but when you are, because I feel like you can sense it. Whenever there's a lot more attention to iding everyone and I think that, you know, maybe I'm wrong here, but it makes me think that they've been reprimanded in some way, or maybe they've been warned her, maybe they've been in trouble. I mean, you clearly are going to be held accountable if you get caught not doing to do diligence and you end up serving alcohol to people who who are not who are not of age, especially if there's if there's a level of it and it's tough to prove this, I would imagine, but if they're investigating you, they're going to be able to come to the conclusion if you're just doing it because you got complacent, or you're doing it because you have no regard for their rules.
Speaker 3: Well, and I understand if someone comes up and they look sixty years old, you don't idea.
Speaker 1: Now, I will say, when my daughter, who's of legal.
Speaker 3: Age, we'd go running and she'd go out with my son and they would stop at one of the said there were places that wouldn't even sell my daughter alcohol because my son was with her and so, and that was just at random. So that that's an interesting twist.
Speaker 1: And that's just somebody doing their job. That's exactly what it is. What I think is wild is those who are clearly of age but do get id because of people doing their job and they get offended by it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes you can't win, right if you uh, and this was this was long ago, but I went, I went to lunch with my mother and I got a beer and uh, she got a glass of water and and I got carded. She didn't, and she was joking. My mom and I have a similar sense of humor. I get it from her and she was like, you're not gonna card me, And she was clearly joking, but you could tell the server felt bad, and you know, we let it. She clearly let them know you were joking. But you've got people who probably are what, oh, you don't think I'm you know, you think I'm You think I'm so old that you don't even need to see the ID. And then you have people that are in their fifties. What do you mean this is ridiculous. It's not that ridiculous to have to get out your ID. Also, it's people doing their job. You know, they're not they're not picking on you. It's probably just trying to cover the rear end, which it makes total sense.
Speaker 3: And talk to servers and see what kind of pressure they're under. I mean they're the ones under the biggest pressure. Absolutely in the front lines, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you were a bartender, I mean really, the whole process of getting a liquor license and knowing who's going to be serving alcohol using your license as an employee, I mean, you need to know what you have in your hands. As far as you know. I don't want to say power, but obviously if you're not doing what you're supposed to do, it could be a tragic situation. That's why it's such a serious issue. So yeah, all right, we've got Rory O'Neil coming up here in just a few minutes. But first your next update of traffic and weathers right now right here on news Radio eight forty whas it is five forty six here at news Radio a forty whas Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee, and we now are joined by Rory O'Neal of NBC News. Rory, the rest, the unrest, i should say, continues, and we now have looting that has taken place. What does this does this do you expect this to change much as far as just how those in California not not those who've been sent to help and assist at keeping this, I guess as peaceful as possible, But a lot of looting has taken place a lot of different stores, and you got to wonder if the community there is now no longer agreeing with Newsom as far as it being controlled at this point.
Speaker 4: Well, they did install the or institute that curfew last night and arrested I think since this began, they've arrested nearly four hundred people. That number is probably going to be higher when it's significantly higher when it's updated this morning. So it seems that, yes, there was some looting that we know of that's been identified. The police were asking people to submit that video. But last night seemed relatively quiet. Quiet as we speak right now, considering the early hour in California. But police essentially gave people plenty of time to stand down because of the curfew that went into effect for the overnight hours. Many did not and they were taken into custody at the scene. Haven't heard reports of looting this morning, but I know it has happened earlier in the week. Lots of graffiti, lots of damaged vehicles as well, so there's certainly plenty of damage. But again, this is all happening in a one square mile area of Los Angeles, a city that's about five hundred square miles in all, so.
Speaker 1: A lot of the attention is understandably on Los Angeles, but there are protests going on elsewhere. In fact, we've had a couple of different days this week where there have been peaceful protests here in Louisville. Are we hearing of any other city that's had anything to the level of what we've seen in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: Well, we know that there are these no King's protests coming up in advance of that military parade that set happened this weekend. But we have seen other demonstrations New York, Chicago, Austin, Texas, Dallas. Actually in Texas, the governor already dispatched the National Guard to make sure things don't happen like that have been happening in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver. Also protests in Atlanta, Philly, Milwaukee, Seattle, Boston, of course in Washington. So yeah, this is primarily i would say in blue states or at least blue cities in red states, thinking of Texas there, but so far none of the damage that we've seen on the scale of what's been happening in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: The Pentagon predicts that the troops being deployed to LA will cost one hundred and thirty four million dollars. What has been the reaction in regards to just what it's going to cost to have to have these resources in place? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Secretary Hegseth was testifying on Capitol Hill about his budget yesterday. Didn't have a whole lot of specifics and was still speaking in vague numbers because they don't really have their budget blueprint done just yet. But yeah, look, Democrats are going to make a lot of that figure that it's at least one hundred and thirty. You know, the talking points will suddenly have it up to one hundred and fifty, and I'm sure they'll be talking about the two hundred million dollar cost in a matter of days, right, But I think that it's going to be a key talking point for Democrats, added into the forty to fifty million dollar cost of Saturday's parade that honors the two hundred and fiftieth birthday of the US military and President Trump's birthday. Yeah, the Dems are getting a few talking points this week to counter what has been an awful scene in that small area of Los Angeles with American flags set on fire, Mexican flags flying, and cars burning in the streets.
Speaker 1: Rory and Neal of NBC News is our guest, joining us on news Radio eight forty whas President Trump's reps are trying to negotiate a trade deal with China and a nuclear deal with Iran. Do we know how those talks are going at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some positive news on the China front. They wrapped up two days of talks in London yesterday and both sides apparently walking away with deals they're going to present to their respective leaders. So it seems that the US and China have a consensus on trade. Sort of goes back from that heated rhetoric we got last week. You're violating in it, No, you are.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: It surrounds those rare earth metals, minerals and the exports of high tech to China. On the iranium front, not so optimistic. It looks like the IAEA is trying to take action against Iran for secretly continuing operations to enrich uranium, and it doesn't look like Iran is going to take this deal that the President Trump has offered on when it comes to nuclear development. Good news on China, not so great on the iranium front.
Speaker 1: Rory, as always, thank you at the time. Enjoyed the conversation and enjoy the rest of your day, my friend.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nick, Take care all right.
Speaker 1: That is Rory O'Neil at NBC News. The Politico post on x that had the story. The link about the cost one hundred and thirty four million is with the pending on predicts as far as the cost to have the troops deployed to LA. Not surprising to see a quick response from Gaviner Newsom mentioning that the one hundred and thirty four million that should be going to LA's fire recovery, at least in his mind, and calling it shameful to use that much, that much money, this much resources for something that he believes they could control on their own. Again, that's his belief, and clearly President Trump doesn't agree. All Right, we've got another update of news and traffic coming your way, another update of sports as well, and then at six o'clock another news update with John Shannon. So keep it locked right here on news Radio eight forty whas