Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Deep Blue Sea the podcast. I am Mark never kayaking in a fjord Halfmeyer and I am.
Speaker 2: Jay There's something wrong with the fjord Cluet Welcome you bod deeply see the podcast on this show through the entire deep Engy's there's something wrong with the field. I'll show been through the entire deep surgy Seene by scene. We're doing it again, but not today. Today we're talking about another new release. We are breaking from our year of reptiles talking about another new release. And that new release is Krackin' What is Cracking? That's the twenty twenty six Norwegian film directed by Paul Oye and starring Sarah Karami, Michel Brat, silsett Ingfield, Hathor pig Nez, a bunch of other people as well Jenny Evenson. It tells a story of a salmon fishing farm in Sogna Fjord, which is the longest and deepest fjord in Norway, where they've they've started doing they're experising some salmon lice as they've been doing some sonic delicing of the salmon and it seems to have woken something from the depths. A kraken. It's a cracking. They've all got a kragon andarity is going with you. I wouldn't you know? So? Yeah Kracken twenty twenty six, Big tentacle beastie from the depths of a fjord. There is something wrong with It's something wrong with Actually, there's nothing wrong with the field. There's something wrong with the fish farm. They shouldn't Yeah, they shouldn't be doing this. They shouldn't be using this. I get it. The salmon lice a problem. They've got a Japanese company visiting who want to turn their fish farming operation, make it bigger, and they're trying to like impress them with the sam and delicing. But you know, there's a cracking in there. Is there a crack in every field? Maybe who knows?
Speaker 1: Does never go never do a flip in a kayak in a fjord anymore? Don't do it, y'all?
Speaker 2: Sure? Can I tell you something?
Speaker 1: Jay? So growing up in Florida wrecked water because you have the golf on one side of the Atlantic on the other and then any spring or lake has alligators, water moccasins, alligators, snapping turtles. So anytime you like, I remember one time I was in a spring, just swimming around in a water markets and to swam right past me. You know, when you're canoeing, you're going by alligators. So water I've always just been cautious of it, but I feel like a fjord was like a safe place. And then now whenever i'm you know, if we ever fjording, there's gonna be problems. Jay, you know you're just going in here.
Speaker 2: I was in Norway last year, NOI this film made me very maybe missed no Way a lot. It's a beautiful country. I didn't go to sogg A Fjord. We took a few cruisers on other fiords and they all look stunning as all beautiful places. Didn't see any cracking. But I have been like paddle boarding and kayaking in the locks in Scotland and which I would like fjord like, and I didn't see any kraging. I wasn't looking for him, but I saw a bunch of seals, loved loved paddleboarding past seals and just he's just gonna get close to the sea and close to the do you think close to the coast on the water, and you didn't see him before and then suddenly there's this like tidal where you was a water fall of seals, a whole like twenty to thirty seals on the rocks you didn't see, and you get close to it, so they all just slide into the water near you and scare the heck out of you. It's just she's like, oh my god. And then they're just kind of their heads just up watching you, and you don't get close to here, but you just had all the cup like they stay bobbing, and then you go down and they appear near somewhere else. It's great. I loved it. One of my favorite things I done. It is just paddleboarding with seals. But had I encountered a kraken, I don't know. I probably would have died to talk about it.
Speaker 1: I would. I would miss you a lot, but I would also be like, so I hosted a podcast called Deep Blue Sea, the podcast where we talk about aquatic creature features, and my co host was eaten by a kraken. A good story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, so there are greenland sharks in there, like some can live over four hundred years. They stay in the cold depths. There's velvet belly lantern sharks. They're the most abundant shark in Norwegian fjords. They glow in the darkies and bioluminescence to hide from predators. It's kind of neat. There's ghost sharks, so they're they're just deep. They're in the deep western Norway and local city fjords. There's black mouth cat shark and spiny dogfish, but they aren't known to attack humans, so there's just not Yeah. I guess you could just go in there and be like, yes, there's probably something in here, but I'm safe. But I guess as long as you're not using sonic technology too loud, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't do it very bad.
Speaker 1: Jae am I crazy. So I was doing some research here and the sun and Fjord is the country's deepest and longest. It has a maximum depth of one three eight meters and four thousand, two hundred and ninety one feet below sea level. That's the monster in this movie is half a mile quarter mile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah, So it's it's basic, big boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not coming from the depths of the ocean. It's coming from the depths of the fjord. Correct.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, By my Google history. Now it contains the question are fields part of the ocean? Which is yes, they are. Yeah, fields are technically part of the sea. Not because like rivers flow to the sea. Rivers are their own separate thing. Fields are title They aren't moving, so they are considered part of the ocean.
Speaker 1: Mhmm.
Speaker 2: So when when later, when we talk about how much of this film takes place at sea, if it's in the field, it's a whah, that's that's unconcerned. So yeah, so but the creature is not like on the bottom of the fjord, reaching its tentacles up and out. It's swims it swims up. It's like a it's a big octopus's yeah. This is deep rising, very deep underwater.
Speaker 1: And it Okay, so it's coming from the bottom of the fjord. Correct, it's not coming from it's not coming from out. It's not swimming into the fjord.
Speaker 2: I think it lives out at the bottom of this field.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's not coming from the Norwegian Sea correct.
Speaker 2: Correct, Maybe it did at some point, but it's taking this fields as its home. Perhaps what is it eat? Yeah, oh, we'll back this this question. Okay, does it just rest.
Speaker 1: Is it like Godzilla where it just takes naps and then when something pusss it off, it comes in equalizers.
Speaker 2: So it's got these these parasites on it that are also like unknown to man. People like the scientists and this haven't seen them before. So for all we know, there are other creatures at that depth that we also don't know about that it eats those. I'm gonna say, maybe this is the only kraken. I don't reckon this is a species where there's like there's a bunch worldwide. I reckon this is like the the one. Maybe there's like a couple. I don't know, So we're not don't need to worry about feeding hundreds of these things, just the ones. Maybe it does come out of the field. There's a lot of fields in Norway, so maybe it just like it goes from field to field.
Speaker 1: You know, if you have technology underwater, you would sense the gigantic motion that happens when this thing just swim this thing swimming in a fjord. Would it couldn't be missed with tides?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the place displacing a lot of water when it travels. I guess. But as they say in the film, only five percent of the ocean has been explored, so there's stuff moving down there that we don't know about, horrifying, and maybe we are aware of the repercussion, like you know, we say, ah, the moon controls the tides. Maybe the cracking controls the tides, and we just haven't seen the cracking, but we've seen the moon. It's that thing that's what's doing it. Not not the big monster under the sea. It's the moon. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just like a boatloads cracking around the world, controlling the tides.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe, or who knows what else.
Speaker 1: If they ever go to a concert like a House of Pain concert and just jump around, the ocean's just going to be tidle, you know, like it's going to kick out.
Speaker 2: The ocean is haunted as els hold Us, who wins in.
Speaker 1: A fight the Sando Aqua monster from Phantom Menace or this kraken.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would need size comparisons. I think probably that the Kraken's got the tentacles. The Sando Aqua monster I think was just a big well it's that storm with the arms. Yes, sure, so they both have limbs, but the cracking has more. I'm going to put my money on the Kraken.
Speaker 1: Well, I take Sando because that thing is like a mile high.
Speaker 2: I need a side a size comparison. If they're like similar size, then I'm going with cracking. If the if the Sando towards the crack and then not yet, I'll go with the SAD. That's fair because this thing is huge water, yes, which means like there's enough of it in the water and it comes to the water and stays there, so there's enough of it underwater to like maintain that height, yes, steadiness.
Speaker 1: It's like Godzilla with its tail keeping himself out of the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, if you're in a kayak, it's you're not gonna it's there's no way this thing's gonna sneak up on you.
Speaker 2: But if you're if you're expecting it, people are. No one's expecting your kracking.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point. That's a good point. No one you know what, it's a good point, Jay, No one expects the kracking.
Speaker 2: You don't, it's the Norwegian Inquisition.
Speaker 1: No one expects the crack. Yeah, you know, maybe I'll see you know, nice fjord shark. You know, maybe something will come by in this movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're a menace in this I really liked where they found these parasites. The parasites about the size of the top of a whiskey barrel.
Speaker 1: This is a huge comparison right there, Jay, that's very specific.
Speaker 2: I know who I'm talking to. You know, you're like whiskey. I'm here drinking crack and rum because it felt appropriate for today's episode, drinking cornish Cornish sea salt crack and rum. It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: There's there's these these parasites that are huge and they're looking at like, okay, so the parasite is this big, and they scale up how big is the thing that's attached to and they work out like what size it would be, But they work out what size would be and it's a wire frame. It's a wire frame of a giant salmon. Yeah. I like that because that's what we're looking at here is they don't know what this thing is. They know they hunt salmon, they farm salmon in this area, so whatever ever it is, it's it's a giant salmon. How big woul the salmon? I loved that. That's that's the imagination of the arts as we're looking at it. He's like, what could be in here? It's a salmon the size of the hospital.
Speaker 1: Well, no one expects a cracking. No one expects a cracking, but I guess a large salmon would be more. It just maybe got mutated or something. You know, it's an ill tempered Fjord salmon that's been mutated. Yeah, I love that. I was almost mark Dyan Salmon Hoffmeier when I introduced this.
Speaker 2: I had monst the salmon hola. Wait a minute, there's something wrong with the field. There's something wrong with the field.
Speaker 1: There's something wrong with the fjord. Okay. So I was reading a director's interview about this, and one thing that really bothered me about this is like, oh, yeah, do you like creature features? Do you do? He's like, yeah, not really. He's like, yeah, I don't really miss him. I don't really care about creature features. And I was like, oh, great, and you can kind of this movie. You can kind of tell yeah that makes sense. Yeah, the guy does not care. He's just like, they stole the kracking from us and I wanted to put it back on Fjord and they're like, oh, hey, you didn't show the crack and until later in the film spoilers and he's like, yeah, that's budgetary constraints. But I guess for me, Jay is I was talking about this with my wife Megan, where when I think people learn the wrong things from Jaws an alien? So in Jaws, the shark just didn't work, so there's not much of it. That's why there's so much character stuff. Spilberg had to pivot, they had to make it work a lot of production issues, so they just filmed character stuff. An alien. You don't really get to see the full alien because it at first you have to find the egg, then you have to get the the what is it the face hugger on your face, and then you get to pop around for a couple of days feeling like you're good, and then a little little chest burster explodes out of your stomach and it goes into hiding. Days later it gets bigger, and so there's a reason.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and there's some sorry, there's some bits where you see the alien. Well, it were cut from the film, and it looked a little bit silly exactly. See if you see it too much and it's too brightly lit. This thing lives in the shadows. It's it's terrifying close up and dripping. You can see the full body doing that weird like omen Spider danced when Exorcist Spider danced thing that it did in that shot. It looks silly. It looks silly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, sorry, no, absolutely right, And they knew that, so they didn't put it on screen much. And so this isn't about like waiting to show your monster. This isn't about less is more. It was more like production necessities set this up. And the reason I love Deep Blue Sea so much, I know I keep talking about it and Crawl and the Shallows is that they immediately, almost immediately set up everything. Crawl happens quick, Shallows happens quick, Deep Blue Sea happens quick, and they don't hide the sharks. The problem with this film is that it doesn't have much of a budget. So I get it, you can't show much of your monster, and the monster they do the show looks really good. But when you have a movie called Krackin and everything's based around krakens, when you have about an hour of people just walking around, when what is there's something wrong with the fjord? What's wrong with the.
Speaker 2: Fjord, like there's nothing wrong with the feud. Yeah, it's fine, there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 1: And so you're just sitting there and you're going, there's a kracking, it's coming. So all this mystery the film, Yeah, so all this mystery involved. It's point it's kind of pointless because you know that there is a like underwater starts immediately, like immediately, that thing kicks you into it immediately, and so.
Speaker 2: Like whilst underwater, you don't necessarily know that's leading towards culu. It's still like a strenuous enough situation and it's enough going on, and you're you're getting to no characters and are losing them. It's still like a tense situation that just happens to like two thirds way through be like wait, hang on, is this a cthulu film? Oh? No, hours and like that's I went into Underwater not knowing it was a cuthuliar film.
Speaker 1: Same.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is an underwater survival film. So if they had cooled Underwater Cuthulu, I'd have been like, when are we gonna get when are we gonna get to clude exactly it's been an hour, When do we get to clue and yeah, yeah, Oh sorry, go for it.
Speaker 1: I interrupt that and.
Speaker 2: We're watching Cracker, and like, when are we gonna get to the Cracker. I've seen people, I've seen people be killed, but it's like, what is killing these people? Like, we know what's killing these people. It's the title of the film, it's the Kracking.
Speaker 1: And so the director I, yeah, Paul, He's like, people just aren't patient. I'm hoping people can be patient. But there's a difference between being patient and force mystery. Does that make sense, because yeah, it's not you and I are not impatient people. I think we I we understand, but I understand. This is like a five million year old budget, and so it looks good for that, looks great for five million. But it's when you call it cracking and you everyone around is going, well, what is it? What could it be? Like?
Speaker 2: It's cracking.
Speaker 1: It's a cracker for an hour, and so that that's when I get lost a little bit with movies when people say you gotta be patient, or people aren't patient anymore, or you know, the less is more, Because my main beef with this is not how much the creature's shown, because it's because of the budget, but the fact that for an hour, everyone's like, well, what is going on? There's something wrong with the I keep saying it because I love that quote Chase. Sorry, there's just something wrong with the fjord. But you know it's a cracking. So it's it's kind of tough for me because maybe they should have gotten that out earlier and just say everyone clear out. They have a cool set. I really like the idea of this unsinkable salmon fishery, and the idea of the sonic lice is cool. Like look at that movie Bait. That movie gets them in that store pretty quickly and then kicks off the chain of events. So you could have had the people on this ship being deep rising by the tentacles. You could have had various people searching for things throughout. But you didn't need to wait an hour to bring the cracking out because it's the movie's called cracking.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I can understand sometimes you have this delay because you want to like reveal the creature that we don't want to give away the creatures design. And I think the creature design is here is fine, but it's not like surprising. It's a bit octopus. There's a lot of tentacles. The tentacles look like you know, if you say five million euro budget, the tentacles look good for that budget, they look look pretty great. But beyond the tentacles you have the little parasite things. They also look pretty good. But it's not like surprising. It's not like that's what it looks like and it looks like a biocapus. It's tentacles, and then at one point a character is kind of dragged down into that kind of avoid and then when you see it over the water, it's a mist, not a mist, which makes me think of the film The Miss, the Frank Grubon film The Miss, which I love, but Tom Jane where like that gets straight to it as well. That's a little higher budget, but not much like it's it's like, I think thirteen million, but budget I think, which you know, five to thirteen is considerable. But there's a lot more going on in The Miss. I guess a lot more going on, and the keeping the creatures designed for a surprise in The Mist works because there's a lot of different creatures and they all look great, and then you like it ramps up. We'll cover the myst someday.
Speaker 1: I love The final reveal is gorgeous. The like the giant monsters and the spiders, and it's just smart. Monsters are in the mist, so when the miss comes, you know monsters are there. That's a great way to keep a budget down or tell a story, because first and foremost miss sucks. When you're driving and you can barely see in front of you, that's terrifying enough. But if there's monsters in there, yeake. And if there's Marshall gay Harden in there yet, yeah, So that one does it really well. It hides the monsters well, but it kicks things off quick. And I guess I just wish they would have I'm not a filmmaker. I didn't write this script. They made this movie. I applug this isn't how I would have made it better, because I can't stand those things like how it should have been Thanks for hindsight, but I I just you caught cracking and then everyone for an hour is going, well, what let me think it is? What do you think? There's something wrong here? And it's just I don't know, it's an odd it's an odd choice. And there's a lot of shots of John Johanna just looking at stuff. Yep, she looks at a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's re botoges. She's been brought into she's been brought in to do like a investigation on this place that she helped design. This feels like a conflict of interest, Like her ex is eric, Like she left the projects seven years ago to come, but she couldn't. They couldn't work out the solo life, so she left. Since she has left, he's figured it out and now she's The company she works for has been like, we've had some complaints about that place you used to work. Can you come back and investigate it with your ex boyfriend? That feels shady, like it feels like somebody else, somebody else should have been brought in, like you you can check it out. Is your field of expertise? Yeah, because she designed it, Like, it's not her field of expertise.
Speaker 1: It's her work vibes and it doesn't it. It's like Twister meets Deep Rising meets a few things where they have a prototype, you know, and then they got to come back and see if it works. But then it works, and that's a total.
Speaker 2: Conflict works too well, Yeah, but you know.
Speaker 1: What, it sucks because it works.
Speaker 2: Correct, right, it works, but it has a side effect. It's it's, you know, making the sharks smarter. The hard harvest harness harvest. The jeanes worked side effect smarter sharks to kill everyone on escape here. Yeah, they've they've deliced the the loused the so they've got it. Sonic lice. Its pubs is to get rid of the lice like that as a name like son Sonic Delce would have been better, but there were that worked. But also it sends the I'm not sure if it was the sonic delicing the just that just awakened the krack and and everything was scared of the kraken or did that send the fish insane and tried to throw themselves on land as well as awakening the kraken. Were the fish scared because of the delighting or because the crackling was coming.
Speaker 1: Well, the crabs are ducking out of the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great. I liked that.
Speaker 1: Now they could be hereing it. We're like, we're out, We're out.
Speaker 2: Baby, Yeah, we know what's coming. Yeah, nothing good.
Speaker 1: They don't really explain that.
Speaker 2: Plenty of feels around here we can go into. We're just going to check out some other view.
Speaker 1: They did maximum Baby, but they bumped it up a level. So everything in there must have been unbearable because they turned up the Sonic Lice. And also the guy who owns the Sonic Lice is married to a cop.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that just felt like trying to have fewer characters in this, So we need to have a police some kind of police official to show up at some point. Let's just let's have them be married to the main guy. And also it's like eco warrior, let's have that be their kid. Let's just have these connections. It's fine.
Speaker 1: Their daughter is like a mini and and some city boys are planning to destroy what he built.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which, but they don't know each other very well because the main guy cat. I think the thing was, I didn't know that Maria was the daughter of the fish Fish. Well they're trying to take down h yeah, yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 1: And then the jet ski gets taken out in the beginning awesome, right. I was wondering if the crack and ate the jet ski, and then when we found out it didn't, I was kind of relieved. I'm like, what's that thing? And then doing it's belly you gonna it can't be comfortable for Krakens to have a jet ski in their stomachs.
Speaker 2: No, I mean we see what happens when it sticks at tentacle in an outboard motor, and I didn't enjoy that. No, no, But I love the image of the business guy uh Jsteen on a jet ski in like a suit, jet ski suit and tie combo was a great image. He doesn't see that often.
Speaker 1: If there's ever been a great jet ski add it's this movie. Yeah, I want to get on a fjord and I want a jet ski.
Speaker 2: It looks like fun.
Speaker 1: Just I wonder if it gets as dangerous as American lakes when Americans get on lakes in big numbers or you know, I know this is a fjord, but when they get on a body of water with jet skis, something bad always happened.
Speaker 2: So I want Yeah, yes, we've seen the bad thing happens always.
Speaker 1: Something bad happens on in short night like there's always something bad. So yeah, it's a great advertisement for jet skis and it okay, But this thing comes out it's cyclical because it had come out forty years before, so does it just is it like Godzilla? And it comes out when it is it senses something's wrong and then it kills some jet skiers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened forty years before? Why did it come out with before they ever explained. It's like the news articles said, oh we saw something. It's it's like a submarine in the field, and then everyone just kind of forgot about it.
Speaker 1: But uh, yeah, so that polluting that no one even mentions, like, oh, remember the pollution spill forty years ago, there's that thing noticed. So it's maybe it just awakens whenever something's up. It's like get out of bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a plane crashed in the field and then this thing awoke something something like significant should have happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So then you're like, is it cyclical? Is it the sonic lice? Because she could hear it thirteen hundred feet meters away or feet thirteen hundred meters away.
Speaker 2: This Yeah, it was the same distance away as the depth of the field. It's like, I must be significant. But like even though she's pointing like that way rather than down, so.
Speaker 1: It travels right. But the thing is that thing stretches what two hundred and five kilometers, It can't go that far like water. Sonic lice, those little things are not gonna go that. It kills the jet skiers. It's floating around for a couple of days a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I was unclear about the passage of time in this film as well, because there's a business dinner meeting. It's kind of like the Chilean Sea Bathroom Jossy Pub, which that seems to go on for half a week that meeting. Yeah, because we see people back at the base, like going to bed in the evening and the next day and the next day and they're still just at this meeting. Yeah, the little girls at the meeting, like where did she come from?
Speaker 1: It's very very the meg They don't like Mars and Pan and ship.
Speaker 2: Just assume that Japanese people, all Japanese people don't like Malespan. I don't think that's right. I think some some probably do. It's delicious. I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure there's a Japanese snack that involves Mazapan. I haven't had it. I didn't.
Speaker 1: You've been on a long flight and you're in Norway and you drove assuming they're they're coming from Japan, and then you drive there, you get a quick tour and you're like, hey, you want cake, Like that's I don't know, I don't I guess you gotta be polite, but I don't really want sweets after a long flight. Maybe that's just me.
Speaker 2: Apparently malespan is hort to get in Japan, so this could be correct. Okay, yeah, well this film was right.
Speaker 1: Okay, but if you have something that works, why crank it up.
Speaker 2: They wanted the business guys that they wanted the salmon to be like squeaky clean. They wanted to be like, no sign of any lice. So having it at set it like having it on a setting four is going to make it dealized. Turning out to ten, then no LCE. Definitely no lice. There's still no LCE. But also a Kraken. Uh yeah, it's it's just the standard, like we don't put out all the stops. Go go maximum speed, let's get let's get those headlines. Get a Titanic to New York immediately. Yeah, nothing bad happened then on you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say you're at two and it's safe, you're not driving crabs mad, you're not chasing things out of the water, and the salmon lice is down seventy so you still have some lice. They are a problem. But if you can cut down the salmon lice population, which is good for the overall health of the salmon, that's a win. That's a big win right there.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're disrupting an ecosystem in a way that you don't know how it was gonna affect things. So initially it sounds like a big win. But what eats the salmon lis? What does the semlis eat? That's gonna be affected. Which is the circle of life? It's gonna's a pyramid for these kinds of things.
Speaker 1: What is the circle? I guess saying it it's it's.
Speaker 2: The way to fort.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Know I have too much respect for Felton John to see that recorded. I'll see it not recorded.
Speaker 1: So they feed off their mucus and blood, and they are they definitely impact. They're naturally occurring parasites of salmon and seawater intend to so salmon farms are a it's like it's like a it's like a like a pet shelter or a day chair. They're just anytime you put salmon in schools, there's just going to be a whole bunch of lice or sickness spread around. So I guess salmon fishing is notorious for the lice. But if you can cut it down, that's but yeah, I guess where do those lice go? Yeah, there's always something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't cover this since salmon fishing in the Ye, and they didn't talk about salmon lice in that film.
Speaker 1: But I don't know howards. It's a weird film and we blunt get out of here yet, go wild Mountain time, go back to that one. But yeah, it's I don't know. So they said they're most likely they're sea lice, tiny crustaceans that have been around as long as salmon have been swimming. They're incredibly abundant. Oh that's interesting. So sea lice does make their products unmarketable. So I like that as a plot. It's like, Hey, these people are trying to keep lice off their salmon, so they invent this thing that wakes a kraken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a It makes it makes sense. The plot. We just kind of we just had too much time being spent looking at stuff getting to the cracking.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of looking at stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, we have this film's kind of opening trauma becauses we get to it is there's a couple of guys out on a jet ski and they get taken out, but we don't know these people. They die immediately. That's that's it. So as opening trauma goes in these kinds of films, which if this is your first time listening to us, our listeners, then no, the films especially always seem to have some kind of opening trauma. When if we cover these kinds of things, sometimes they're worse than others. This one pretty mild. Characters we never we don't know, I would have never talked about again, are kind of jet ski joy ride do like real tight circles fall off, bloody water, no people. I feel like, yeah, I think the kayaking would have been a better opening trauma. I think the kayak killer is pretty great.
Speaker 1: Because she goes upside down.
Speaker 2: There they're practicing flipping. Yeah, if you're upside down, how do you get my coup again? And that one person does it fine, And there's a lady who seems quite concerned about doing it, and she like builds up and she flips upside down, and then a kayak just stays upside down for a while and the instruction is just kind of looking there and I was kind of like looking able to start paddling towards her, and the next thing we know, yeah on land kayak just legs in there and then we see her upper body underwater later in the film, terrifying this little girl who's appeared from nowhere. I've really liked that. The shot of the full kayak just being sucked into the water, that's like, great, that's a great shot. I liked that a lot. And ever reason, when they did an overhead shot, we could just see something underneath. I really liked that.
Speaker 1: In my notes overhead shot, Yes, three exclamation points and then did it eat the jet ski shots? Overhead shots are great.
Speaker 2: The entire film was one long overhead shot.
Speaker 1: In a Violent Nature GTA, in a Violent Nature A. But we're just watching the kraken from overhead for ninety minutes and then little stories take place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be a different way of doing because a lot of these shots from the cover kind of similar. I diferent w'y doing it would be following the shark the whole time. You know, a shark movie from the sharks perspective. It's something we haven't seen before. Come on you go, it could be interesting. That could be interesting. How would that work?
Speaker 1: Let's make it work.
Speaker 2: Let's make it work.
Speaker 1: Overall thoughts about this movie, what's what?
Speaker 2: Stuff starts kicking off and starts happening. I appreciated the second half a heck of a lot more than the first. That's the I like the kind of the the second half, the kind of film. The second half turns into where it's like a bunch of people trapped in a small area, monster attacking them. Let's go picked off one by one. Interesting deaths here and there, like one of the characters. Spoilers from this point if you haven't gone to this point is spoilers now. I do recommend seeing it actually before we get tops, I do kind of recommending. I liked it overall, but yeah, spoilers from that one. The deaths towards the end were pretty great. The George, George, the big guy on the control panel. His death, he has a very like Denis Nedery from Jurassic Park. I've also mixed with is it Rafe's ball in Prometheus. We're just like we're looking, yeah, you got him? Like he's he goes into this shipping container where one of the other activists has like fled to and he sees the guy bleeding from the from the mouth, unable to move, and there's a giant parasite on his back, and so he like he managed to flip it over and like stares at this hideous hole in the middle of the parasite that's clearly the mouth, and then it spits a gunk in his eyes, which you know, Dennis Centric gets blinded by doing that, and then the shipping container falls into the ocean and gets eaten by a cracking I'd like to turn a lot. Yeah, as soon as we found out like, oh, George is kind of in on it with with the business guy in terms of turning up turning off the blocking of like that's that's the other thing that they find stuff out, but they don't really it's all like very science like there's there's some kind of the lice. There's a frequency where it's detected or not detected, and they've turned off the detection. It's I don't know what it is, but he's in on it, and so we find out he's in it. I was like, Okay, this guy's this guy's gonna get eaten by a cracking uh and he does put inside a shipping container as well. That's fun. So I liked that sequence. And I felt very sorry for the cleaning lady at the big restaurant where she's just like cleaning up oft which she finds this arrowhead that's been significant and then she kind of looks up and it's just one of the parasites on the big deep blue sea window, just like biting at the glass and bites her a little bit, and then just the fiord comes in and takes her. I liked that sequence as well. Yeah, there's a couple of good asks. They had quite a lot of characters that we just don't see where they like all of the whole the Japanese contingent, they're there, they want to make a deal, and we never see him again. Like these feel that these feel like maybe bad guys, like they're trying to business conglomerates, trying to take over this small business, and we could see a crack and eat some of these people, but we don't. That's that's some worse, that's the other side of the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, anything that reminds me of Deep Rising School. I like the tunnel work when Johanna has to escape through the tunnels and it keeps chasing her. That's good. That was good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of tentacles everywhere, just keeps following it and she gets into the air events. It's one of those films with like air ducks that you can crawl through, which no no no no no no no no no, but yeah, it's the tentacle following you through air ducks. Terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool. And then the director said that each tentacle in Octopuses, they think has a brain where some intelligence to it.
Speaker 2: So has nine nine brains, one main one and then one for each tentacle. Oh's cool.
Speaker 1: Sure, okay, Yeah, it's hunting people down and it wants to eat them. That's a good bit. I like that bit. But then there's Maria who gets straight picked up and then it just drops her and then her papa has to save her, but then papa dies, but he had to die. Yeah, yeah, it's still worth watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're putting this out before we started recording today. The director he directed a remake of Daylight of my favorite film, which I need to track down now. He made The Tunnel in twenty nineteen. So at some point we need to do like a Daylight Month because there's like a Korean version of it as well, just called Tunnel.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, I think so. Well, if you want to do this series for MFF, if you want to do if you don't want to do it on Deep Blue C, well we could do a Tunnel series on Deep BLUEC. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: I need to see if I can track them all down. But yeah, I'm gonna make a little missions to watch all these films, like I hope that the hero in all of them is called Kitler Tour. That would make my day so bad. It's a name that transcends any kind of language. It's just called Kitler turn any nationality there from.
Speaker 1: Let's see what the name is. In twenty nineteen The Tunnel twenty nineteen, the main character's name is.
Speaker 2: Stein. No, that's okay, Well there's a.
Speaker 1: Tunnel's an do you said Japanese?
Speaker 2: One Korean I think is called called Tunnel In twenty sixteen, directed by Kim Yonghan, where the main character is Lee Jung Sue. I believe. Yeah, it's not Kitler.
Speaker 1: Tour, yes, I mean it's on Free Style. It's on to be here.
Speaker 2: I mean it'll be available somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I love Daylight series.
Speaker 2: Series.
Speaker 1: I own it. I always surprise myself when I look at my movies because I'm like, oh, yeah, I own that. I also own Dante's Peaking Volcano.
Speaker 2: I don't know that. I bought Daylight in a DVD triple pack with Twister and Vertical Limit, which is no skip trilogy I've got. There's a bunch of box sets where I've bought, like, oh, this also comes with The Specialist. Like, I'm not gonna watch the Specialist.
Speaker 1: Watch the special that's a no skip vertical limit on. I'm watching it.
Speaker 2: Twist is just one of the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah Twisters. We have Billy packs and two of them. Yeah, but yeah, listen, I know we talked about the logistics of this movie. But I fully support every country on this planet. I fully support them in making subpar creature features, just monster movies. Like I'm totally fine with it. You take five million, make a creature feature, Just go do it. I don't care what it is. If there's water, I'm gonna watch it. So I support you know, It's not like every one of these movies coming out of every country needs to change world. So it's just give me more creature features.
Speaker 2: But absolutely, yeah we have. I think Will Slater, from explaining Helicopter front of the show suggested we do like a shark Films around the World kind of series, and I've I've been trying to put that together at some point. It's I've got a little this going. I'm trying to can't find it right now. I've got a spreadsheet somewhere like, just trying to find because it's like Jaws in Japan. New Zealand has a shark with the Ghost Sharks sequels from New Zealand. Italy has a couple we've already done Shark in Venice, Avalanche Sharks from Canada. There's a bunch of different like the Global Shark film it's Kiki we can there's a bunch of Italy shark.
Speaker 1: Sharks.
Speaker 2: It contained somebody in a shark costume. That's my least favorite tike of witty film.
Speaker 1: I think it not worth it then never.
Speaker 2: Mind, it's I mean, it's fine, it's just I prefer real.
Speaker 1: Mean what we've been talking about a lot of Australian shark films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where the sharks come from. So that's where they keep making them and there's more to cover, and like White Death, we've been covered it.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I liked this film, like I just would have liked it more if they fix the pacing a bit a bit better and they have the Drussic Park sequence, which is like a video, a cartoon video explain explaining the plot.
Speaker 1: Did you make that fun? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yep? And I was like false, full spoiler. I was surprised that she died at the end. You would not see that in any film we've ever covered. This is we wouldn't see that in any other film we've covered. I mean, yeah, deep with see she dies at the end, but she's been established as a kind of bad guy and she wasn't supposed to initially, Or isn't this one. Johanna been the hero the whole time. She's the one doing everything right, she's a good person, and then she does.
Speaker 1: It was kind of surprising because she she went full like tank top badass and jacket. When you become a tank top hero, you typically survive.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think you're right. Does Cut Russell go down to a tank top in the Poseidon Adventure? No, he's just a suit yeah, yeah, that's I'm trying to think, like I'm trying to think of that as a.
Speaker 1: Did Lucas when that movie is show any arms?
Speaker 2: Oh in, I'm gonna get there. I was thinking, I was thinking of the other film that we covered, Ah, was that I don't know. No, I'm thinking of I don't remember if he's if if Josh Diakas shows any.
Speaker 1: Beef, No, he just keeps the shirt on. It looks like, what do you mean like your next tank top? And then you have Texas Chainshaw Masker the tank top. Then you have t two tank top. Ripley gets into a tank top, an alien lives, So it's just once the tank top happens, you think it's it's game on, but then it's not.
Speaker 2: What was the oil rig film with the shark the megalodon? The megalodon like this big big shark? Was that Josh Lucas as well?
Speaker 1: Oh black black, Yes, he lost his mine on that One's.
Speaker 2: What I was trying to think. That's what I was trying to think of. Yeah, yeah, that's that's not that's not a tank top. Definitely, she gets and shoes and then she just drowned and then they blow up that thing pretty easy that that cracking goes down like a chump, because like the bomb is nowhere near it. So I didn't know if it was some kind of like I lost track of what was supposed to be doing. Was it some kind of sonic bomb that would disorientate it enough just kill it?
Speaker 1: Makes sense, It's cheaper than blowing it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I put that. I can't. That annoyed me. That's what we had. We had this with killer whale recently. The cracking is not the bad just down there being a kraken and they're like, oh, we have to kill it. You have to kill it. You did this, Maybe you're going to kill.
Speaker 1: It, turn off the sonic lice and stay out of the water.
Speaker 2: Because they turn it off and be like, it's not going to stop based on what it's risen out of the water. It's not currently attacking you, Like, oh, it's never going to stop. It's not currently killing you. Maybe try not killing it first.
Speaker 1: The main problem is that nothing gets out of the water, so it could maybe attack coastal towns.
Speaker 2: Sure if they keep on doing what they're doing. Yeah, so stop it.
Speaker 1: Uh Yeah, it's a little laser eating people. The boaters. Yes, like the spring boaters get eaten.
Speaker 2: It felt like it was it was like sending the parasites up. But like, just take some people out.
Speaker 1: I can't the movie hates on tour us to tourist. What happened to the turists? Two tourists were.
Speaker 2: Eating like the tourists bar the jet ski joy riders, the kayaking tool. Uh yeah, make the people that get killed. I guess that's most of the people out on the on the field tourists. Perhaps the locals no better than to mess with the crack that's true.
Speaker 1: Good luck out there. Why do you say that.
Speaker 2: That's supposed to meet Thank thank you?
Speaker 1: Huh what? No, wait, why did you say that? Huh? Good luck? Good luck?
Speaker 2: I meant stop hunting. You know, we'll see you again? Well, yeah, we'll we'll see you later, definitely.
Speaker 1: Su you know, keep your feet out of the water.
Speaker 2: What and having the little teaser at the end of a cracking egg at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, sure, it's like Godzilla.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're going to see cracking two. But I like the cracking egg, So just trans translate some tentacles. The Kimbo win the.
Speaker 1: Listen A subpar creature feature is still lovely. Sure, give me, I'll watch it and we.
Speaker 2: Did, we did, and we'll watch it. Yeah, and we'll be just talked about it. So do you want to know how deep blue and at sea this film is?
Speaker 1: What's in the fjord? It's as listening to this question. When they are in the boat the facility, are they technically in the ocean?
Speaker 2: Yes, in the same way that when whenever they're in aquatica, they are at sea. So listeners, if this is your first time listening to DPC the podcast, welcome because because this is Deeply see the podcast, we start out covering DeepC. Every new film we cover, I look at how deep everything on screen takes place at on average, how blue everything on screen is, and how much of it takes place at sea. So Deep Blue C is, of course fourteen and a half meters deep or forty seven and a half feet deep, approximately thirty one percent blue and eighty nine percent of it takes place at sea. Mark, do you think Kraghan is deeper, bluer, and more at sea than Deeply C.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a really good question because it those swim it's not underwater too, it's not deeper, not deeper. Okay, it's blue, not as blue. And is it at sea? If the fjord is sea, the fjord is see you're at the home a decent amount. The movie starts off with her sort of walking around. There's when they are in the underwater glass room. Is that considered c.
Speaker 2: I did consider that sea because I initially thought that was in the same places as the rest of acidity. And they are underwater, and they're kind of like I think I considered when they're in the restaurant in Jewels three D as at sea, and that's a similar kind of thing.
Speaker 1: That's tough. That's really tough. No, not as sea, as.
Speaker 2: Much I get you are correct in accounts, So it's but it is close so deep we see fourteen and a half meters this this works out of being twelve point one six meters deep, not that deep for much of it, and there is even there is even a bit where a plane so they're up in the air. But they say the depth of the they say what field they're in. We know how deep that field is. It's one point three deep. And at the end of the they douro an egg. Sorry for that little bit of the egg at the end, I thought that eggs on the bottom of the sea. So that bit very very deep for a few seconds, and that really brought it down. But also they are in the facility. They're underwater quite a bit in the facility. Like order the lab section is underwater in the facility. Yeah, so twelve point one six meters deep, which means it's deeper than water World. Sorry, it's deeper than Paris, the Caribbean Devon Hotels. Not quite as deep as water World. It's only two places of open deeper. See. This is our thirty third most deep film on the list so far. Blueness works out nineteen point eighty five percent blue quite blue, quite blue. It's bluer than the Deep House, less blue than Leviathan, So seventy seventy nine on our ranking, and at Sea seventy four point ninety six percent at Sea. Wow, there's quite a lot of it is on the feord, but there's quite a lot of it a little bit on land. Loyal credits in this film, so the credits are in. The credits are in the void, Like nine percent of this film is credits. Wow, Almost ten percent its credits. So that's a long time in the void. So it is more at sea than dangerous Animals and very very slightly less at sea than Beast of War, both very two recent films. Yeah, two good films. What about thematically? As you think the characters in Crack and I think there's more to.
Speaker 1: Them, no deeper, there's nothing to these characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we never really find out why why did Eric and Johanna break up? What happened there? She didn't work, you know, Yeah, I can't make that country of science by it seems to be what happened man, and.
Speaker 1: Everyone deals with things way too maturely. When you find out that George was doing that stuff, Eric's like, oh well, we got other fish to fry. We other crack and the cook And when you know, Johanna shows up. He's like, oh hey, like there's no there's no twister, arguing this isn't a he was like, oh okay, you're here now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like Stapham and his ex in the In the Meg's just that odds for the whole film, and a really angry guy.
Speaker 1: The dogs are and fun I hate you all right, Longmire?
Speaker 2: What about Blue? Are they sadder in this film? There's nothing to these characters. No, no, yeah, and are they more lost? No, I don't think they know where they are.
Speaker 1: They're doing pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Great, So t PC is deeper, bluer, and more at the in every count realistically and metaphorically. Good, we'll win. That's the case. Great, So that that will do it for kracking Mark, do you have any blugs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just moves on the flicks and yeah, that's it. Listen to that podcast.
Speaker 2: And my site is life versus film dot com. Some writing there on films I'm watching at the moment. Next week on this show, we're back to reptiles with Rango. Not there's the whole point. There is the looking for water, so not a very wet film, but water is in there. So looking forward to talking to Rango with a friend of the show, Andy Gording, animation fan Andy Gording, So come back next week for Yeah, legend does the DPC show. I don't think you'll listen to this episode, so we'll never know he's a legend. But Andy, you are back next week for the Rango. But as for Kracken, I have been J. Klewett and Mark Halfmeyer will Deep Blue see you next week.