Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buckeye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Tony.
Speaker 3: We are most of the way through day two of Big ten media days. Most people have gone home already, still plenty to talk about, still plenty to do. It was Ohio State Day, which is always after a long, long off season of nothing. It's like, boy, they are really making us smoke the whole pack, and.
Speaker 1: Then and then boy, by the time people are listening or watching this, fall camp is a week away, maybe less, depending on when you get your podcasts and your youtubees and whatnot. So let's recap some of the things that we learned from Julian's saying. Number one for me, I want to talk about Arthur Smith and the relationship that he's building there. Ryan Day, earlier in the day, very very earlier in the day, said that Art Smith has been putting a lot on Julian's plate and that Julians just responded, well, I asked him like, I asked, Julian, what is that said? Now he can go to the line OF's scrimmage with more than one play and then what you know, decide which one to go with based on the alignment from a defense and things of that nature. And he said, you know, it's it's great, but you have to be accurate or else you lose the privilege. And you know, I wanted to talk to Ryande a little bit more about that, didn't get a chance to, but because I don't know how often that was the case for Julian saying surely every time there's an audible Yeah, but this is a choose your own adventure type of thing.
Speaker 3: Right well, and Brian Day talked about the fact that when you're going to the line and you're changing plays and you're you know, with tempo, and you huffle the line and then adjusting, everyone looked to the sideline and that would put give the defense a chance to put themselves in, you know, the correct defense to because they have.
Speaker 2: Seen what you were doing.
Speaker 3: This is a chance to sort of swing that the other way where you go to the line and unless the defense, unless the defense is able to really disguise what they're able to do what they're trying to do, and you can do that obviously to a certain extent, but not you know, you see the personnel package, you see the basic the basic alignment, you can sort of get yourself Okay, I see what you're doing. Now we can get ourselves into this and and sort of make that adjustment.
Speaker 2: But that's a lot to put on a guy's shoulders.
Speaker 3: And last year, as a red shirt freshman, first year starter, I would assume, you know that they aren't ever going to say, you know, he had that right, you know, twenty seven percent of the time or whatever. But that's one of those things that as a first year starter, as a redchert freshman, that would be a lot to put on a guy's shoulders. Now, Okay, you've seen you've kind of gone through the full season now and you've had another off season where it's not everything is not all brand new to you. So I think that that's probably a good second season.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and it's something that you know, Julian has been wanting more and more, even last year he wanted more and more. But it's still it's a process and you don't want to move it too quickly. And so I did ask him, is it extra work? Is it a lot of work? Is it hard work? It's like it's it's work, but it's not extra because one Arthur Smith's a very good teacher, which reminded me of all of the things they used to say about or still say about Matt Patricia is that he teaches the way he teaches, you learn so much, so quickly, and it's just a completely different world than what they've been used to. Arthur Smith. Here, you're like, you're the Ohio State quarterback. You're putting in extra work anyway, so right straight is the minimum? Yeah, and then you're gonna put in more after that. But yeah, like everything seems to be going there. Well there, and if you have a returning starting quarterback right, hey, this is his third if you don't make the most of it, you're wasting time.
Speaker 3: Well and he Day talked about that, and I remember thinking that can't be right, but it is.
Speaker 2: It's justin fields C J.
Speaker 3: Stroud and Julian Zan because it feels like Day's been here forever. But it's and that goes back to twenty seventeen. That's not just as head coach, that's twenty seventeen as well, And so yeah, that's that's a real luxury at this point to have a I think it was it was p J.
Speaker 2: Fleck talked about the fact that.
Speaker 3: They had He was the only school in like the entire country that had the head coach, both coordinators and the starting quarterback returning, which you know, that's a sure sign of modern football that the one school in the nation has that to have, you know, to have Arthur Smith. If Arthur Smith is the change and you're bringing in a former NFL head coach to be your coordinator, that is a worthy.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a worthy change.
Speaker 3: But to have the head coach who's obviously specializes in that set of the ball and a quarterback who now has returned and this is going to probably still be largely the Ryan Day offense with some Arthur Smith influence, would be my guest, especially in the run game. But this is you know that you have such a benefit to have a guy back and not have everything be the first time.
Speaker 1: Would you consider, Okay, urban Meyer, he had two returning starters, or do you consider him having three when you're throwing Cardell Jones there. I don't know that I really consider that three. But that's also the product of having a three year starter followed by a three year starter, a four year starter, I guess, two year starter, four year starter, returning starter. Julian Sane was asked, do you feel more responsibility because you are a returning starter. He's like, if you're the Ohio State quarterback, the starting quarterback, the responsibility is already there. It doesn't matter how long you've been there. It's the same responsibility. You got to go Michigan, you get he didn't say Michigan, but you know, you know what all what comes with all of that, And it's like, it doesn't matter if your first time you're out there the last time you're out there. The responsibility is to win and be the Ohio State quarterback, which.
Speaker 2: Is one of the more.
Speaker 1: Notable positions in the sport and at Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think this was I think that was a Jim Trestle line that the you know, the most important the two most important people in the state are the governor and the starting quarterback at Ohio State. And that's it's one of those things it's like what what what ridiculous overstatement?
Speaker 2: And then you sort of stop and you think.
Speaker 3: About your going Well, I mean the head coach of Ohio State's probably in that conversation would lose yeah right, yeah, yeah, Well you look at the list of the highest paid state employees and it's not it.
Speaker 2: Ain't the governor. No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and anyways, those are all protected by the non disclosure agreements right now. Yeah, they look in his eyes. It's something that Ryan Day talked about with Juliet saying, like you can see it. I think you said it a couple of times. And so Julian talked about that, and it's like, well, there's just he's got more intensity practice and workouts and just the way he's attacking all of the goals and the way he wants to improve his skill set. And he knows what people have critiqued him about, you know, not that he's on he said, he's not on Twitter. So it's not the fringe that he knows what they're saying. It's just there's feedback. There's he knows he saw the games, he knows where he fell short, he knows what he could have done more of. And so he's that intensity has also made him bigger and stronger because of the workouts, and he said it doesn't really inform him on when to leave the pocket like he or when to stay in. No longer to staying like I'm bigger and stronger, I can stay in longer. He's like, but maybe I can get out of more sacks than I couldn't before because he's bigger and stronger. But yes, the I don't want to say he's got like the eye of the tiger or that his ears are pinned back or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I was gonna say that that role is spoken for. You can't. You cannot do Thursday night football, no, stop asking.
Speaker 3: It's I always the look in the eye thing is one of those things that I always kind of like, are we really, like, really are we doing this? That that to me doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. When Jeremiah Smith talks about and we'll probably talk about this more on the Jermyristmas Show, but when Jeremiah Smith talks about the fact that he and Julian Saying have been kind of paired up in workouts and that Julian Saying is like really putting in the work. And Jeremi Smith was the iron but first true freshman ever to be an iron back eye, So Jeremiah Smith knows what it takes to be successful and to really really put in the work in the weight room. When he says, Yeah, I've been working specifically with him, and I've been specifically seeing with him that that means more to me than look in the eye.
Speaker 2: But you know, look in the eye.
Speaker 3: Look in the eye is also probably a shorthand for intensity a little bit, which in this case, Yeah, this is a contract year potentially for for these guys, and for someone like Julian saying you're not you're not doing these things because you're addressing the people you know, you're I'm going to show these guys on Twitter that's not you don't care about that you care about. You know, he wasn't hearing it from people on Twitter. He was hearing it from the people in the film room. Probably here's you know, here's what you did wrong, Here's what you need, Here's where you need to get better. And you're probably having at least some conversations or indirect conversations with the NFL folks like, Okay, where do you need to improve? And Ryan Day can maybe sort of just be the proxy there where Ryan Day, Ryan Day, Arthur Smith, Matt Patricia spent some.
Speaker 2: Time in the NFL. As you were calling, You've.
Speaker 3: Got guys who are going to be able to say look, we've we've been in the NFL for years and years and years. We've succeeded in the NFL. So what do you need to do to get better? Here's the list of stuff to get better. And you used to Okay, well I'll start working on that list.
Speaker 1: And Arthur Smith has brand new eyes yeah to whatever Julian has done. And it's Ryan Dan seeing it for years, so maybe some of it just you kind of see past it, or it's like this is not new, so it does does it register? Whereas everything now is new for Arthur Smith and it's like why why this? Let's do this, you know, just just simple things like that. One other thing he mentioned, you said, Brandon Innis is gonna have a great year. He's very important to the team. So it's like, are you sure you're not on Twitter? Because there, you know, we know Brandon Innis gets a lot of stuff. But he said, the guy is clutch. Third down, you throwing the ball, he's going to catch it. Fourth down, you throw the ball, he's gonna catch it. And then the last thing I wanted to mention is the becoming more of a vocal leader. And that's something that Mick Murratty challenged him with. And it's also something that Ryan Day talked about with the quarterbacks and the workouts, where it's the quarterbacks who are like calling out the drills in terms of like said, if we're doing a set of fifty sit ups, since the quarterbacks they have to like yell it out and get everybody going, just so that they get used to speaking in front of the team, being force full in front of the team. And as they said, it's like it's maybe a little uncomfortable for them at the start, by the end it's like no big deal. And that's kind of what you want from your quarterbacks, just being comfortable in front of the team, in front of tough situations. And then those guys are with you seeing you go through all of this, get used to, you know, having that voice in their ear as well well.
Speaker 3: And also, I mean there's probably a little bit of well, you've got to be able to project if you are a quarterback and you have road games at Texas and USC and Iowa and Nebraska and Indiana on the schedule this year, you're going to have to be loud because you're going to be playing in some loud environments. So you've got to you have to be you have to be the voice where you can be loud, but also you have to be the voice that your teammates are listening for.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So those are some thoughts from Julian's saying. We've got more coming, much more coming. So if you have not subscribed to the YouTube channel, please do so YouTube dot com at slash at Buckeye Inside. You can find us over at Buckeye Ciders dot com. We are running and running wild.
Speaker 2: In a good way, in a good way.
Speaker 1: Tom, Thank you very much. Sign up to see us there. I would love to see you there, and of course five star writing review is always appreciated. That will do it from here. Thank you all for tuning in, and we will talk to you all later.
Speaker 2: Let out.
Speaker 1: Nothing away the no one tell me I wish you then nothing.
Speaker 2: If you can tell me that's the moor, it's all right.
Speaker 3: We can steal currently tonight