Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle Here Morning crew on a Tuesday morning.
Speaker 1: April fifteenth tax day. Unless you live in La County.
Speaker 2: Because of the fires, the IRS has said you have until October fifteenth to file your taxes. Also, it was the morning of April fifteenth that Abraham Lincoln died. All right, Harvard, Harvard is in a well, they're playing chicken with the federal government and what's going on. Well, Harvard is very proud of its DEI program, is very proud of inclusivity, is proud of the various studies that it makes that it has offers to students. And the Trump administration, not a big fan of DEI and other programs, has demanded that Harvard simply stopped that.
Speaker 1: And Harvard told them to go pound, saying, so okay.
Speaker 2: So the so what the administration has done is we're gonna stop funding. We're not going to give you federal funding. Nine billion dollars a year is what Harvard gets over the course of grants, et cetera.
Speaker 1: During the year. It's a massive amount. No other school comes close for that.
Speaker 2: Well, the Trump administration said two point two billion dollars is now frozen because the school rejected Trump's demand. The Trump administration demanded the school yield to extensive government oversight, sweeping changes to governance, admissions, hiring practices.
Speaker 1: And this was a tough one.
Speaker 2: By the way, the administration is saying that the review of the nearly nine billion dollars in federal funding to Harvard, of which two point two billion is now gone. They're saying, we're it's raising two point two billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: This is part of the administration's crackdown at what it calls rampant anti semitism and leftist ideology on college campuses around the country, but particularly Harvard.
Speaker 1: Actually, Columbia was the one that first started this with the.
Speaker 2: Palace Propalestanian demonstrations, and the government knocked out four hundred million dollars to Colombia.
Speaker 1: Harvard, which of course is the top of the heap.
Speaker 2: It's the best institution in the United States, considered the best UH and probably in the top five internationally, is really at the forefront of this now because of its positioned, because of the amount of money that the government gives it. So Harvard's coming back and said, oh, we're working to combat anti semitism, and we remain open to dialogue about what the university has done and is planning to do and to improve the experience of every member of its community. But we're not caving into your And Harvard is saying these demands violate First Amendment rights of the school, exceed the statutory limits of the government's authority under federal civil rights law, of course, because that's one thing about the Trump administration that is being argued back and forth, and that is that the government itself is exceeding its constitutional limitations way beyond what any other administration has ever attempted to do. And the federal civil rights law that's being violated, according to Harvard, threaten its values and threaten its ability to even teach.
Speaker 1: And it's not going to teach. What the government tells it to teach ain't going to happen, and we're just not going to do it.
Speaker 2: Government doesn't have the right to take a private university and tell a private university what programs it can have, what programs it must eliminate, what teachers must be hired or not hired, based on wildly leftist feelings and ideology.
Speaker 1: By the way, what does explain to me what is.
Speaker 2: A left leaning teacher has wild leftist ideology?
Speaker 1: I don't know where that line is. Do you.
Speaker 2: Is liberal considered wildly leftists? Or do you have to be more than liberal? I have no idea where that line is. So Harrison Fields, a spokesperson for the White House, said that universities are not entitled to federal funding.
Speaker 1: It's not an entitlement. It is something the government gives. It is more of a privilege.
Speaker 2: President Trump is working to make higher education great again by ending unchecked anti semitism, ensuring federal taxpayer dollars do not fund Harvard support dangerous dangerous racial discrimination or racially motivated violence. And Harvard or any institution that violates Title six is by law and not eligible for federal funding. So they're going beyond we're not going to.
Speaker 1: Give you money.
Speaker 2: What the administration is saying, we can't give you money because of Title six.
Speaker 1: Of the Civil.
Speaker 2: Of the anti discrimination laws that were pasted civil rights laws, and you're not eligible for federal money. So therefore we're freezing the money. And this is getting really really interesting. Back we go to what's happening between Harvard and the Trump administration, where Harvard is accused of allowing anti Semitism and not doing enough about it. By the way, the president of Harvard, I think what she resigned last year, if I'm not mistaken. Why because they did allow anti semitism in these protests, these pro Palestinian protests, there was no question about it. Jewish students were not allowed to go to class. It was kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: They turned that around.
Speaker 2: And I have to give the Trump administration some credit for that because they said we're not going to take it now. Anti Palestinian demonstrations, eh, that's a different story.
Speaker 1: There just aren't that many of them.
Speaker 2: In any case, Harvard because of their DEI program, because of what is perceived that they're leftist professors and leftist ideology. The Trump administration said no, either you changed the way you do things, or you're not getting money. And the Harvard's saying no, and the Trump administration is also saying no.
Speaker 1: That an impasse.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, two point two billion dollars of grants a federal money flowing to Harvard is just stopped.
Speaker 1: And the government is saying, you know what, you're not entitled to it.
Speaker 2: We can't give it to you because of your racism, because you are not allowing an even playing field, a level playing field. So these programs I go back to when I was referring to cal State Northridge, the kind of DEI programming that happened the Pan African Studies. I told you about that when I went to my first day of class of African Studies and the professor comes in with a dashiki and had some African name and literally wrote on the blackboard that white man is the devil.
Speaker 1: Try to do that today.
Speaker 2: And then I talked about the first I think it was the first Chicano American studies, the Chicano Studies at cal State Northridge, and it was crazy. I mean it was the Chicano Club was allowed on the campus and they were and there was a huge wall that was painted that was on university grounds, on a building that the school allowed, and it called for the overthrow of the US government and to establish the new state of Aslan Aztla n taking California, New Mexico and Arizona and removing them from the United States and creating a new, a new country, as it.
Speaker 1: Were, by way of revolution. On the campus.
Speaker 2: Come on, I mean that was how crazy it was. Now is it that nuts? Yeah, I don't think it's that nuts anymore. I think it'd be surprised. I'd be surprised if it were. I haven't been to the campus in a very long time.
Speaker 1: But it's it's a different world. And the Trump administration is saying we're stopping right now with this. We are not going to let you do what you are doing.
Speaker 2: And it's not just a sort of nudge. They're saying, we're going to oversee it. You want federal money, We're going to put our people to audit everything you do.
Speaker 1: We are going to look at your programs. We are going to deter whether.
Speaker 2: They're quote too inclusive, meaning they're leaning too much towards the minority.
Speaker 1: The minorities in.
Speaker 2: School the gays, LGBTQ plus people and the black people, and when not the black people, the black population, and the Latino population, and the Asian population. Although Asians aren't considered minorities in the schools because they do so well at the ucs, it actually they're considered a reverse of a minority that they cannot use their argument that they're a minority to help them get positions because they're automatically excluded from that argument because they do so.
Speaker 1: Damn well, look at UC Berkeley.
Speaker 2: How many Asians are there relative to the number of Asians in the general population. So Harvard is saying no to all of it. They're going to say, we're a private university. You are not going to tell us what to do, what classes, what governance, what oversight you are going to have, how we have to report to you, tell you why we are hiring someone and why that person is not a leftist, wild ass leftist.
Speaker 1: Professor, and proved to you. I mean, all of that.
Speaker 2: The government wants, all of that the Trump administration wants, and Harvard is just not backing down.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're at an impasse.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem is the government gives, through pel grants and through loans and through grants and general research grants, an amazing amount of money to Harvard in the billions and billions of dollars. They're just saying no and arguing this is the government arguing that the DEI programs that the school is in fact engaging, they are in and of themselves racist, and therefore the government not only should not give money under Title sakes of the Civil Rights Act, but can't give money to a racist university. I mean, that's a hell of an argument, Iceline. I wonder if they're putting that up anymore. I have to look that up, whether it's a thing anymore or not.
Speaker 1: No idea.
Speaker 3: There's some circles. There's some circles.
Speaker 1: What they's still talk for it still talk about it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're giving me kind of a weird smile.
Speaker 4: No, you go on social media and stuff, there's still groups, huh talk about taking it back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, taking it.
Speaker 2: It was never Oceline, it was Mexico, and they're not talking about bringing.
Speaker 1: It back to Mexico. They're talking about a.
Speaker 2: New country a which incidentally, oh incidentally, African Americans were not particularly welcome either.
Speaker 1: In Icelan.
Speaker 2: It was not only anti white, it was anti everybody else at the same time.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh.
Speaker 2: Because of the tariffs and what's going on with the terraff wars and the craziness in the economy, we have not been talking much about illegal immigration.
Speaker 1: But that is continuing.
Speaker 2: That is a huge problem throughout the United States and probably the primary reason Donald Trump was elected it was on the illegal immigration issue.
Speaker 1: This is where the Democrats just lost it completely. And he continues on.
Speaker 2: One of the things about Donald Trump, as I have said many times, is he walks the talk and talks the walk. I mean tell you exactly what he's going to do. And there's no secret here, no hidden agenda. This is what he does. Now he makes some claims that is what he's going to do, which is kind of impossible, but his basic philosophy hasn't changed, especially in the world of illegal immigration. So with that being said, let me tell you about a company called Geogroup. It's a private prison firm has about one hundred private prisons throughout the United States where it houses Feds, federal prisoners, and eight prisoners. And it is a company that was started back in the seventies I think by an immigrant, a Greek immigrant, and it has created a division that makes digital tools to track immigrants and these tools are being used increasingly by the federal government to be used in deportation. And it gets really interesting in terms of the technology. One of the things they have is a facial recognition powered app to confirm any person who is in this program to verify location and identity. And this is what this is about. When you think about it on the surface, it makes a lot of sense. Someone comes in to claim asylum, okay, and cross the border, and they immediately want to get arrested, and they turn themselves into the border control and then border control processes them and they sometimes go into detention center or they're really least and given a date to show up and the fear, of course they don't show up, and the detention centers cost a fortune to maintain these people. So what Geogroup did is come up with this technology and it is either on an app on a cell phone or a smart watch, or an ankle bracelet or an anklet, and it keeps track of these folks and the government knows exactly where they are. If they don't show up at a hearing, they can be tracked, they can be picked up, they can immediately be deported. And of course similar libertarians are going crazy with this. How you can't monitor people like that, Yes you can. The loss certainly allows that.
Speaker 1: Those folks to be monitored and quickly.
Speaker 2: This is becoming a big, big part of Geogroup's finance finances because that part of the business is growing like crazy, and so This was set up to keep tabs on unauthorized immigrants who face potential deportation, and it makes a lot of sense both financially and.
Speaker 1: In terms of keeping control.
Speaker 2: However, the argument, of course is that this is unconstitutional, that this is an invasion of privacy. The problem is you don't have many constitutional protections when you're here illegally. You certainly do as to do process, right, they have to arrest you there, I mean warrants, although they can pick you up simply for being illegal, for example, or acting illegally while you're an illegal immigrant for example.
Speaker 1: Let's say I'll give you anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know they didn't make any sense, but I'm gonna bring it down to a point where maybe it does.
Speaker 1: Neil stop giving me that.
Speaker 2: Look, And that is, you are ordered by an immigration judge to say within a certain area, and all of a sudden, the locator shows that you are someplace. It's their version of fine mine, and you're in violation, and you can be picked up because if part of your release is you've got to stay there, and you don't stay there and you go over here. The government is told about it, Border patrols told about it, and they know where you are.
Speaker 1: And here is the argument.
Speaker 2: The government loves this because it makes it so much easier. It costs three dollars a day, for example, to keep track of someone who has been released in the country pending in a hearing they claim asylum. We don't know if asylum is going to be granted or not. It's a judge that makes that determination. There's a backlog of years. So either they're in detention, which costs one hundred and fifty dollars a day, or they're released and now they are monitored with this technology to cost three dollars a day.
Speaker 1: And so for the government it's a great deal and for the.
Speaker 2: People not so great a deal because now they're being monitored. But you know, when you come here illegally, and by the way, people who do come here illegally, I mean they're not coming here to commit crimes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Trump says they're murderers and rapists. They're not now, no more so than anybody else.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna argue that illegal migrants coming over actually commit fewer crimes per capita than the general population because what they want to do is they just want to stay here and feed their families. And so they go under the radar so you don't see them if they're driving illegally, driving at eighty miles an hour down the street, they.
Speaker 1: Just don't do that.
Speaker 2: Good company, you may want to invest in this thing. By the way, part of this I love this. Immigrants send selfies of where they are and what they're doing, and that goes through a start a smart link app, which.
Speaker 1: The GEO Group they do the By the way, the Geo.
Speaker 2: Group people actually are doing the overseeing of this. It's not the government that all of this information is given to. It's given to Geogroup that then sends it to the government when it is appropriate.
Speaker 1: Wow, yep, eighteen thousand employees.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's a growth business technology use in a way that a lot of people are very unhappy. But you know, if we're going to have a program and we're going to monitor those illegal migrants in this country, makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: All right. Yesterday there was an earthquake.
Speaker 2: It was a magnitude five point two tembler I love that word, they tembler. And it was a huge success. So how does an earthquake become a huge success. Well, because the early warning system kicked in and Neil, you had mentioned this was the first time that you experienced it or it kicked in this successfully, and I don't know the answer.
Speaker 3: It was the first time that.
Speaker 4: The warning came prior to the earthquake, and I think that's because other ones were closer to me, and this was in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Okay, this was your Okay, your particular experience and the technology. The science as I understand it is pretty simple, and that is, the earth starts to shaken, and the sound goes through the The sound goes through the rocks, et cetera, goes through Basically, the speed of sound is it's going through the earth. So by the time it reaches five miles away, eight miles away, ten miles away, when it's going at seven hundred and fifteen miles an hour, I think that's how quickly the sound goes through. It is and the sh shaking can be read by sensors.
Speaker 1: The shaking, it takes a while. That's it. See I'm mister scientists.
Speaker 2: But in any case, the sensors pick up the shaking, and the sensors were quicker than the actual waves of the earthquake are traveling over land. In other words, if you have a quake at a given area, and you're going to feel it.
Speaker 1: Ten miles away.
Speaker 2: Sensors picking the earth shaking move quicker to tell you that there's a quake a coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't know that it works for the epicenter. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: No, the epicenters you're right on top of I mean, you're right at the epicenter, it's right there.
Speaker 1: But I'm talking about rest of us. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: And the further away you are, the further way you are, the weaker it gets.
Speaker 1: Not the speed of sound.
Speaker 4: And we were when I was in management at KFI, you were hating many many many years ago. We would go out to Caltech and we were working with them to be a partner radio station for all this tech. So I got to see it being you know, being created and the early tests and it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: It's just, you know, it's just the.
Speaker 2: Technology is telling us about it, and we get it on our smartphones. We get in on our devices and it shakes and everybody here. I mean, it was in what or it was North San Diego County was the epicenter, right, I'm in South Orange County. I didn't feel it, by the way, I just don't feel anything, but Lindsay felt it. You guys felt it, and you got the the alert, which is kind of neat. And the analogy I'm trying to I was trying to make an analogy here and here it is. I finally figured it out because I sound like a scientific moron most of the time, and that is it's almost like the air bags in a car. You have a head on collision and the air bags actually depl before the kinetic energy hits you where you are going to be hit by the collision itself, so you're being boom, you get the collision, and of course you're going to be whiplash back and then forward. Well, technology is such that they can't actually explode that air bag out before the force of the collision, and that's nanosecond so I guess the it works this way the same way on a bigger scale, So it's kind of neat. And the way it works on the smartphone, everybody has it or you can get it for free, and there's a couple of programs that's what is it my let me get this.
Speaker 1: What are the two that are out there? Amy? I have them both.
Speaker 5: I keep on the Shake alert.
Speaker 1: Shake Alert, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it comes out from every year from McDonald when they come out with a new shake it always changes.
Speaker 5: And there's my shake app too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are the two.
Speaker 3: Alert is one of my favorites.
Speaker 5: Oh, I have a good shamrock shake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quick question?
Speaker 2: Can you I think I have them both? And do they both buzz the phone at the same time? I know the phone vibrates if you have it on silent or does it bypass out like Amber alerts A your the phone goes off no matter what.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 5: I don't think it does. I'm trying to remember what happened yesterday because it hit it ten oh eight yesterday and my phone vibrated. I don't think it did that alert like you get when you do.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got the audio alert.
Speaker 1: I had my.
Speaker 4: Phone vibrated and my watch vibrated my Apple Watch.
Speaker 5: Oh, my watch probably vibrated too. I just wasn't paying attention because there was an earthquay.
Speaker 3: I handle didn't know what was happening. Yeah, I didn't wear a rod and he was just happy something was working.
Speaker 2: Well. I get very happy when I keep the phone in my front pocket. And it vibrates, but that's for an entirely different reason. Okay, this is KFI A M six. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app