Speaker 1: This is a special bonus episode for you.
Speaker 2: This is one of these good problem weeks where we have way too much good stuff from big ten media days to be able to fit it into our sort of traditional publication schedule. So we've got a bunch of extra stuff for you this week.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let.
Speaker 2: You hear a little bit from Matt Campbell on this episode, the new head coach at Penn State. He had a lot of interesting stuff to say earlier in the week. We're gonna start with a couple Ohio State related soundbites and then we'll get into some other stuff. We're gonna let you hear directly from him because we've talked a little bit about what he talked about. But I'll let you hear from him get to know him a little bit more. Let's start with the first one. He was asked about the impact of Jim Tressel on his career, the former Ohio State head coach current Ohio lieutenant governor. He actually has been a mentor of sorts for Matt Campbell over the years and actually played a little bit of role in Campbell taking the Penn State job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just say Coach Trussel has been a huge impact on my journey, really every aspect of my life. You know. I can remember we got let go as a coach, our coaching staff, and I was an assistant coach at Bowling Green and I figured out real quick that this is a business. And I had I had just accepted a job to go be the offensive line coach and run game coordinator at the University of Wyoming, and Tim Beckman got the head coaching job at the University of Toledo and called and said, Hey, would you like to be the offensive coordinator? And I remember calling coach Trussell at that point and said, Hey, should I move to Wyoming? I think I should do that, And you know, he kind of gave me great wisdom sometimes out of sight, out of mind, you've been in this footprint, you should stay in this footprint. And it was great advice then and honestly, every career moved since then. And he coached Trustle has been a huge impact on me, and he's had a huge impact on my journey and a huge impact on my life as a football coach, and I'm really grateful for it. And you know, obviously had great conversations even about the Penn State job, and I really appreciate him for that.
Speaker 2: The Buck guys are not playing Penn State this season. But there was another Ohio State connection that Matt Campbell got asked about, and that his former Ohio State running.
Speaker 1: Back James Peoples.
Speaker 2: He was someone who started the year for Ohio State last year and then up losing his job to Bo Jackson and then transferred to Penn State during the offseason. So when Matt Campbell was asked about his running back room and his running back situation, you're in here James Peoples as one of the people he talks about here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think we're excited to see how that unfolds in fall camp. You know, I think there's videotape evidence in collegiate football games. Obviously, Carson Hansen has proven he can be a bell cow. He's a guy that can you know, gets better with every carry, and we have great belief in what he's got the ability to do. But you see flashes of greatness from James Peoples and his opportunity to run the football and make some great plays. I think everybody got a chance to see Quinn Martin start a game and what he had the ability to do do in the bowl game, and I think we're really excited. I think all those guys have made strides since really the end of spring practice. But the competition carries who's on the field and critical moments. I think that's all going to be decided as we get ourselves into fall camp.
Speaker 2: Now on to some sort of the bigger picture stuff, not as Higo State specific in particular, but some interesting stuff from Matt Campbell, definitely on his job at Penn States and his overall philosophy, all that kind of fun stuff. Let's just start with a real, nice, easy one, just his message to the team overall for season number one in state college.
Speaker 3: I think the first edition of this Penn State football team is the standards and expectations that we are setting in our football program. How you show up every day, what's authentic leadership look like? Our opportunity when adversity hits. How do we stay together through positive adversity and negative adversity? Can we grow in those areas? I still believe when you master that, the results have always taken care of themselves. But that's really the foundation of the growth that we need to make this ball for.
Speaker 1: Years and years and years.
Speaker 2: Matt Campbell and his defensive coordinator John Haycock at Iowa State were known for running a somewhat unique three three five scheme on defense. Haycock has retired, so he's no longer there. He did not make the move over to Penn State with Campbell, and neither did the three three five. So why did he end up deciding to go away from what has sort of become his team signature defense.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the biggest challenge with the three three five is when you pay take that safety position, that's the middle safety, and you pull that guy away from the line of scrimmage, and there's pluses and minuses to that. The plus is you know, obviously how you fit the run game, how you can disguise coverages, and the multiplicity of disguises that you can add to the value of the cover system. Obviously, the challenge can be sometimes in the running game when you're gonna add multiple gaps and man, can I get enough guys down in the box to be able to stop the runs. So you know, there's great pluses and minuses with it. It's a great system if you have the right pieces.
Speaker 2: Campbell has been the head coach at Toledo and then at Iowa State and has been successful in both places. But this talent, the challenge of stepping up to Penn State, that is going to be a different, different kind of challenge for Campbell. Winning at Iowa State that was difficult. Winning to the standards of Penn State fans that will prove to be a different kind of difficult. So what is the challenge of stepping up in terms of recruiting expectations going from Iowa State to Penn State.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think truly understanding the landscape that we're in in terms of recruiting, in terms of, you know, the build of what it takes to sustain success in this league. But I would also say, you know, are background at being at Iowa State, my background playing at Mount Union. Understanding what those expectations look like and what it means to lead in the coach and the play in those expectations, I think are huge pieces of that have traveled with us at every stop that we've had that I think have prepared us for this moment and this opportunity here at Penn State.
Speaker 2: One of the things that's a challenge for every college football coach these days is the challenge of adapting to the modern realities of college football. And when Matt Campbell started his head coaching career, it was a very different world for college football coaches than it is now. Whether you're talking about transporportal, nil, all.
Speaker 1: The stuff going through Congress right now.
Speaker 2: What is it like trying to adapt to the modern realities of college football.
Speaker 3: Being a head football coach and growing. It's like you always say, as an offensive coordinator or a quarterback, you know, man experiences the greatest teacher. And I think if you have enough humility and curiosity, humility to understand where you've gone wrong, and believe me, I think you make a lot of mistakes in the journey of coaching every year and have the ability to reflect and grow and not make the same mistake twice. And then I think have enough curiosity to figure out where your gaps and how do you demand to move forward? And you know, I do think the stage of power for football, the dynamics have shifted dramatically over the last three years. And if you aren't adjusting, if you're not adapting, if you're not growing, then I think you're going to get left behind. And so I think it's been critically important to have the ability to be able to adjust. And I guess maybe that fabrics gives you the most confidence that saying, you know, I'm not naive to what the challenges are from player retention to player acquisition to program development at this level and what it takes to sustain success at this level.
Speaker 2: Every time a coach moves to a new school, they talk about bringing their own culture and implementing their own culture on the program. And this wasn't really answer for Matt Campbell because I made it sound like, Eh, it's not that simple to just sort of imprint your own culture on your new program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talking about the twenty seven recruiting class, and you know, I would just say holistically, and I think maybe the question and maybe you were there in the spring or not, And my response was, we're going to take it slow and right. And I think the biggest mistake that we can make because we're still playing catch up in this class, right, You're you're playing ketchup in relationship, you're playing catch up and evaluation, and the biggest mistake we can make is taking the wrong fit, taking the wrong fit, characteristically, taking the wrong fit, and this player doesn't fit our system, and so I think that when you only have one hundred and five men under your roster, man aligning the football roster and finding the right fit is critically important. And I would say probably there is a general sense of confidence that we trust our evaluation, we trust our process of building team, and we're I think, really confident about where that high school class is as we kind of head into the fall, and I think we're going to learn a lot more about our own roster, to be quite honest with you, as we get into the fall for that twenty seven team. I think that's the unique challenge that I feel like we're under is finding out a little bit more about our own roster. We know what our twenty six team looks like, we know what the older guys in our twenty six program look like. But trying to uncover more about what this twenty seven team looks like with our own roster probably is more of the unique challenge to the twenty seven high school recruiting and then end up being the high school transfer portal class or the transfer portal recruiting class. So I think we'll learn a lot more about ourselves as we get through the fall.
Speaker 2: And finally lots of recruiting questions for Matt Campbell because penn State not necessarily where they're ultimately going to need to be.
Speaker 1: They are twenty third in the nation right now.
Speaker 2: Obviously it is just July, the class is not anywhere close to sign and so plenty of time there. But of the top twenty players in the state of Pennsylvania according to two four to seven, only one of them one of the top twenty in Pennsylvania currently committed to penn State. That is probably not going to ultimately be a winning formula for Matt Campbell.
Speaker 1: So are they already? Are they behind? Are they? Are they fallen behind already? In twenty twenty seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I would say the biggest thing is you. And again I've only done this. You know, I got the Toledo job and I was thirty one and I was the offensive coordinator, and so you know, it was trial and error, and you know, when you went from Toledo to Iowa State, I think I learned a really great value that you just don't go into a program and you assume, hey, I'm just going to bring this over and this is copy and paste. You know, I really learned at that stage. Task questions what's going on here, what's gone well, what hasn't gone well? If you're the head coach, what changes would you make for the betterment of the program, whether that's the players or the coaches that are outgoing, or the people that surround and touch the program. And I think that really served me well going into this Penn State job. You know, yes, there's some moral fabrics and fibers that I truly believe in what it takes to win and be successful in a football program and not wavering from that, But I also think it's critically important to understand what has going on, what are the good things that have happened, and obviously there are good things that have happened to Penn State. What are the areas that you know, maybe are not where they want to be or where they need to be? And then how do you devise a plan and a process around that to start to maximize the full potential and grow the program forward at the rate of speed that you want the program to grow forward in. And you know, I think that's probably the biggest learning experience, you know, during my career with a transition and a change and We've really tried to lean into that value, not having the ego and entitlement to say, man, I have all the answers.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: A little bit from new Penn State head coach Matt Campbell. Really interest some interesting stuff there. He is not quite as I don't know, engaging verbose as former Penn State head coach James Franklin, but definitely some interesting stuff there. Penn State not on the Ohio State schedule this year, so you will probably this will be one of the last times you hear from him, at least for a little while, but should be an interesting season one for Matt Campbell in state college. With the Penn State Nitney lyons, we'll have much more coverage coming up for you all week long.
Speaker 1: From here in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Let you hear from a bunch of different high profile coaches, and of course we'll have coverage of all of this stuff from Ohio State, all this stuff Michigan, all the stuff you've come to know and love from us at Buckeye Insiders dot com.
Speaker 1: Make sure you're also.
Speaker 2: Subscribed to us on YouTube at YouTube dot com, slash at Buckeye Insiders, and you can search for the Buckeyes Tomorrow Morning podcast, The Buckeye Weekly Podcast, The Time and Change Will Shirley Show podcast. You can find those wherever find podcasts. Are are souls Love For now, Thank you guys all for joining us. We'll talk to you next time.