Speaker 1: Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's nit coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started here, hour number two on a good Friday, getting you set for Easter weekend. A beautiful, beautiful day here in Louisville, Kentucky. I was out walking around downtown before the show today, just taking in the sunshine, the good vibes, and it's kind of warm. I mean, I'm not complaining, but I mean when I say warm, it's a good thing. But yeah, eighty degrees, and I hope that we continue to get this good weather. I've not really ever in my life, I feel like been so aware of when it is and when it's not sunny. Like usually I'm like, whatever, sunshine if I'm on the beach, cool if not, you know whatever, But man, good vibes are attributed to, I think sometimes a nice, beautiful sunny day, and that's what we've got here. And I don't know if it's going to be that way the rest of the weekend, but we can only hope, all right. So one thing I brought up a little bit earlier in the show was as Tyler Shuck just continuing to get nothing but rave reviews. I mean, there was a clip that made its rounds on social media of him having a really really hilariously bad bro at the combine. But it was like it was a yip, Like it was almost I mean it was, yeah, it was a bad pass, but I feel like that was clearly a a yip or he you know, it was a miscommunication about the route or something. But it's now being shared as like if this is the guy that everybody thinks is, you know, basically saying, hey, don't this is all a smoke screen. This guy's not even going to be drafted that early at all. They're just doing it to try to throw people off. Because by the way, everything you hear about the NFL Draft leading up to it, that's out there, that's that becomes like talking points from those that cover the you know, the NFL Draft. I mean, what sense would it make for anybody within an NFL organization to share with a talking head media member what they're going to do. If they're going to share and give scoop, the only way that that would be beneficial for said franchise would be to tell them a lie and know they're going to run with it to try to throw people off. So, like the NFL Draft, I love the draft, always have, always will. But there's so many conversations, storylines I guess that take place in the lead up that like I'm to the point now where I'm like, yeah, that's probably like this is probably not real. Now. I think the Tyler Shuck praise is real, But as far as like where he's gonna get drafted, I don't really know. I mean, it just depends on who is really really wanting to take a quarterback, because you can want to take a quarterback, but at least you should have the awareness, Okay, I want a quarterback. We certainly could benefit from getting somebody that could potentially be our franchise quarterback, but I gotta be realistic and know that that guy is not in this draft for us because we don't have an early enough pick, or there could be a team like, for example, I don't know where we pull up the NFL draft order, because I saw this as one of the many teams that was interested in Chuck and brought him in for visits, and I don't remember the like, when's the last time the Steelers drafted a quarterback Austin. It's got to be a long time unless I'm blanking on something I think it was Kenny Pickett, right yeah, and he's already gone, right yeah, And that was again, Kenny Picketts, one of those guys that in the weird year of sports, like that's when he shined. And that was really the only year two guys, and we talked about this. I think we talked about it off the year yesterday. But two dudes who really became big names only for really one year, and it was the twenty twenty one season when we played college football and other sports with no fans because we were still you know, we had no lingering effects of the pandemic. But Kyle Pitts, the tied end at Florida, and Kenny Pickett, the quarterback at pitt those guys there were two of the bigger names in college football that year if you remember. And Kyle Pitts has been a bust thus far and Kenny Pickett. I mean, I think the same thing can be said. So you know, if you're Pittsburgh and you realize, yeah, we just took a quarterback, well you can say one, well, we were fooled by the weird year that was the COVID season of college football, and clearly it didn't work. Out, and you know, they had Big Ben forever and since then it's just been you know, I mean, they've had a I mean, I feel like they've had a lot of different quarterbacks and some of them were never viewed as they're they're the franchise quarterback. But I mean last year it was justin field until it wasn't and then Russell Wilson came in, and now you know both those guys. I mean, where where's Russell Wilson? By the way, is he still in Pittsburgh? He signed somewhere else or see a free agent? Like a good question. I feel like he has signed somewhere. We would have known. But anyways, they also had a guy they brought back who gosh, Rudolph Mason. Rudolph. I guess they drafted him, didn't they. That was a long time ago, yes, now that I think about it. Yeah, So Pittsburgh drafts twenty one, and I don't know if they feel like they need a quarterback right right away. I mean, and look, if you need a quarterback but you just don't think that that guy's there, then good on you. Because a lot of I feel like there's many franchises that can't resist they'll convince themselves because they just know how big it is to get your new franchise quarterback that they will, they'll, they'll, they'll take a risk that's really not worth taking. But like, Pittsburgh's a team that maybe drafting him at twenty one with their first pick, meaning Shuck would be would be a stretch. But like if somehow he felt like the second round and I don't know where Pittsburgh is picking in the second round, let me take a look. They're gonna be at number doesn't do they have a pick. Doesn't look like they have a pick in the second round from what I'm seeing here, unless I'm just not unless I'm I'm just blind and don't see them here listed. So there's gonna be a team I would hope because this best case scenario for him that he ends up being taken by a team that does need a quarterback in the future and they're you know, they're decent right now, They're a good franchise. They're drafting later in the round because you know, they're not awful. Like that's a good situation for Shuck to where he can sit back not be the starter, right of way. Way, But if you know somebody phases out like let me. I'm trying to just find an example of a team. But right now, man, it looks like a lot of these I mean teams that draft late, like they know who their quarterback is. And I don't see that changing anytime anytime soon. I mean you've got let's see, like in the last eight picks or so of the first round. I mean the Panthers, I mean, believe it or not, I still think they're they're rolling with Bryce Young despite benching him and then you know, bringing him back, and you know they may be decent this year. Clearly the Texans took a step back last year. Stroud at least did I think he had a sophomore slump. But I still think he's shown enough to where he could be good and they're not going to draft a quarterback. Lamar and the Ravens at twenty seven. Let's see, I mean the Eagles and the Chiefs, clearly they know who their quarterback is. The Bills, the Commanders, the Lions, I mean the Rams. I mean Stafford's still with the Rams, right he did? He ended up staying yes he's so maybe maybe the Rams take him because and I could also see like, of all the guys who know good quarterback play, I mean, I feel like the offensive genius that is Sean McVay. Like, I mean, I'm not predicting it because I don't. I mean, I would just be guessing. But it wouldn't shock me if that's that's the kind of situation, And it would be a good situation for Shuck, right, Like he goes to learn from a guy who can clearly make a lot work with a quarterback who's got some good skills like Shuck has, and clearly there's no scenario that that Stafford plays that much longer. Right, So something like that I think would be would be awesome to see for Tyler Shuck. But here is a former loule of a quarterback, Jay Gruden, who now works for I believe Underdog Fantasy in a media role, and I believe this is him and Colt McCoy couldn't think of his name. They're breaking down NFL quarterback prospects and it's about a two minute clip, and I thought it was worth listening to. So here is mister Gruden, which, by the way, Austin, have you ever heard Jay Gruten talk? It's probably been a while since he has a head coach. I don't think I have. If I have, I don't remember it. I'm sure I did when he was an NFL head coach. But I'm telling you you wouldn't know that this is not his brother John. Let's say, sound exactly alike this guy Tyler Schuck other than him because he wears the red played for the Cardinals. What do you like about him? There's a lot to like.
Speaker 3: He would wear number fifteen, but us retired not because of me, because of David Gone.
Speaker 2: But how about David Going getting a plug and only hit pause because you have That's huge. That's that's Gruden, is it? I mean, that's clearly it is a Gruden. But you if those two, if you pick up a phone call from from Jay Gruden and he says it's John Gruden, you're not bat a eye. You believe that it's him. So it's it's a delivery. I gotta tell you, man. Yeah, I mean like Belichick's son kind of sounds like him, And that's kind of trippy to people. I think the brother duo here, like you could convince me just from a from nothing but audio, their voice, the sound that they're the same person. Let's go. Yeah, Now, this guy.
Speaker 3: I talked to Jeff Bram, the head coach at Louisville, about him, and I was like, you know, this guy is climbing the boards. What is it about this guy? He said, He's throws a very good deep ball. He's a great competitor, and he's that curate. He loves football, right, and that's some good intangibles to have. He can throw the ball, now, I mean this guy, this guy, I think.
Speaker 2: It's not just the voice, it's the sayings and the way they say it. He could throw the ball, loves the game of football. We'll go third right behind Shador third quarterback taking. I really believe it.
Speaker 3: He's six foot five, he's a good athlete.
Speaker 2: What's the knock on him? Like? Why why is he just now like kind of become getting on everybody's radar. Was he hurt?
Speaker 3: Like went a couple of start Oregon went to Texas Tech went to Louisville. And Louisville had a pretty good year. They lost a Notre Dame in a close game, they lost tour. They were close to making the playoff as well. I think of one year starter at Louisville so you know, sight on the scene. I guess everything's about shandor everything's about cam Ward and all these your boy you Weers and Will Howard and all these guys. And this guy comes five gunslinger, ripping it down the fit.
Speaker 2: Who is this guy? He exceeded the throwing you know, the expectations at the throwing portion of the combine.
Speaker 3: That's really when I went back to start one. Look at this body. You look like this guy can He's not a very good athlete. This guy's a good athlete's forty five fifty yard running his notre name. He got stripped and fumbled, but still he's a good enough athlete. He can escape some pressure. So big, tall, prototypical type thrower. This is kind of you know, these other guys we've been doing six foot one, six foot two. This guy is everybody at six y five. Now, this is a big, good looking quarterback. He can rip it right.
Speaker 2: This guy.
Speaker 3: If I'm a coach or a scout and I'm not into the tight weight measurables at all, I really like to see guys play. But seeing what he's done behind center Jeff Brawn's offense, and compare him to the other guys, you Weers and Howard and all these other guys.
Speaker 2: He's right in the mix with all those guys. So clearly a lot of praise for for Tyler Shuck. And I mean, I'm a little of a fan, obviously, I'm I'm I'm very high on Tyler Shuck, but I I mean, I'm watching highlights as I'm wanting to. Obviously you guys couldn't see that, but it's a video where there's going Shuck highlights as these two guys breakdown Tyler Shuck's season at Louisville. And you know, I think we've been so spoiled at quarterback and I think all year we knew that Schuck was good. And in a way it kind of felt weird because, like again, I talked about this throughout the season, and it got brought up earlier this week that nobody's really surprised that the NFL likes him because we could tell that the guy was pretty good. But I just think because there was no real buzz about Louisville or him this year because the losses and look, Louisville still a good season, but you lost a lot of games early that puts you out of the race for the ACC and honestly puts you out of the race. Pretty playoff conversation. So even when you were starting to win and look when you lost games, he played great. That's what kind of sucked, is that he went out there and put up numbers that were, you know, really really impressive. Like his game at Notre Dame was phenomenal, not just with the numbers and what he did, but like some of the throws he had insane. Yeah, but whenever you see that happening and it comes in a losing result, like I don't think nobody's blaming him, like, hey, he should have played better. But I remember thinking on a couple of the postgame shows this year for football, I'm thinking to myself, man, like that guy can't play much better, canny and we lost like it just you know it was not to revisit it, but Louisville lost some games earlier this year, and really that became kind of their identity. They made. They continued to make avoidable mistakes. And I still think you can say that the season was a success. It wasn't as successful as it should have been could have been. After two years, I think you still have momentum with Jeff brom still think the future is really really bright. But that was a real bugaboo for me is that, you know, I don't really know how good Louisville actually was, but I know the games that they lost, all of them but one were against good teams and like a little you know, you get rid of one of the major goofs at South Bend, you probably win and it's what it could have should have right. You know, you didn't win, you don't get credit for it. You lost, but in those games where Louisville fell short and you felt like, man, like we'd have just done this. Two things I don't remember any of the loss as ever, being because your quarterback play wasn't good enough. And also like I remember thinking, damn, like that guy played out of his mind and we still couldn't win. So, you know, I it's a weird. It's weird for me because usually when there's a guy from Louisville that is being praised like this as an NFL prospect, like none of us are surprised. And again it's not that we're doubting and not of the belief that these guys in the NFL are right about Chuck it's just I think him being here only one year and there was never you heard cult McCoy reference it there, Like there really was never any real momentum for him as far as like, hey, nobody would say the guy was bad. In fact, he would get praise. But I think because of his age and because of the injuries, it just became a non starter conversation about the NFL. And I look, his injuries are clearly something you got to be aware of, but he also didn't have any break that I mean, it's bone break things to where you can come back, and like it's there's no real like I mean, I guess you could always get injured again, but like it's not something that's chronic that's going to linger. And also I don't understand why the age thing is viewed as a negative. Like, yeah, if you've got a guy to me either, if you've got a guy that's nineteen or twenty and he's our twenty and he's already you know, showing upside and playing well, the benefit is that, like one, he could still get better, but also he can play longer. But like quarterbacks in the NFL, especially the way Shuck will play in the NFL. If he gets the opportunity to run a team, those guys are kept safe, like you can now, Like not everybody can be brady, but like you know, if you don't have some kind of like catastrophic not even a catastrophic injurry, but like if you don't have like a ligament kind of thing, or you're like Peyton manning his shoulders. I mean his arm just died. I mean, that's what happened with him. But like you can now, you're not going to be tackled very much at all, So you really are I mean I don't want to call it a finesse position, but he will be a guy that they won't have out there running with the ball. We did see at times he could make some plays with his feet, but obviously you know it's not worth risking it because he's got an arm. That's that's where the bread's butter, that is where that's that's his real weapon that he's bringing to the fight. So again, I think clearly having a guy that you feel like could still get better, but NFL quarterbacks, this is my issue with with Anthony Richardson because that's why he would like Anthony Richardson and I'm gonna I won't make this a long winded thing because I don't nobody gives a damn about the Colts. And I don't blame you. I hate that. I'm a fan. I don't know why I can't quit him. I try, I couldn't do it. Just you know, you're a fan for so long you make that emotional investment that fans make, like you can't quit him. I tried, literally try to, can't do it. So you know, they drafted Anthony Richardson and the dumbass franchise that is my Indianapolis Colts, Like they didn't have the realization that who has ever learned how to be a quarterback on the job in the National Football League? Nobody. Yes, guys get better, they develop, but at no level of Anthony Richardson, at no level of his career was he ever a winner. He went to and eight as a senior quarterback in high school, went to Florida, did not have a winning record, lost to Andy twice, never beat him. Actually, so like he's learning on the go in the National Football League. And yeah, the selling point is, man, he's raw, he's got a cannon for an arm. He strong and he can run, okay, Like throwing him in the fire is the way to get him experience, I suppose, But like to me, wasting a first again, somebody was gonna draft him first und even if the Colts didn't. But he's going to be the ultimate bust. His completion percentage last year broke a record for the worst since guess who Tim Tebow, Like the guy thinks as a quarterback and he's never been a good quarterback last that check. When you're a good quarterback, you have good stats and you help win games. Doesn't do either, and we wasted a top five pick on him. So the selling point, Like for those that are like, oh, you can't drive shuck cause he's old, those are probably people that looked at Richardson as like well, but yeah, I mean how how how can you learn how to do the job when you're not good at it already? Like, who has ever became a better quarterback in the NFL than they were in college? I know the answer, Patrick Mahomes. But Mahomes he had like he put up big numbers, he just didn't playing a system that won games like Mymes was good. He just you know, it was a perfect match with him and Andy Reid and obviously he's got some good resources, so like, guys can get better. But Patrick Mahomes in college compared to Anthony Richardson college get the hell out of here. And Richardson was taking ahead of Mahomes. Now I know wasn't the same draft, but like if you can't tell, I'm still dealing with it that we drafted Anthony Richardson, And like, anyway, I'll move on because I don't nobody cares about the Colts. But anyways, back to shuck, uh what I want to do on the other side, If you know, even if he doesn't have a great long NFL career, he still had a really good season in the one season that he's had in Louisville football fans, I think we know, and sometimes he probably take it for granted. We've been pretty spoiled at quarterback. The bully County came out of here. We prospoiled at quarterback, pretty spoiled. We're spoiled at quarterback. It's like when I say, good to get to Old Change, quarterback got to go to Mount Washington and get to Old Change. That's that's that's the ultimate bullet. County Twain. They love the Washington Mount Washington. Yeah, I love the Washington that's what they call it. There's oh r and it folks, but they put one in there where they say it. But this is probably not nice to do, but it's with love. We're gonna talk about it. On the other side, who have actually been quarterbacks here that we would say were really bad? Cause there are some and I'm not bringing I'm not bringing this up to like dog them, but I think more than anything, you'll realize, even when Louisville wasn't good, even when Louisville had bad seasons, quarterback play wasn't like the worst part of it. Like, we've been pretty lucky with quarterbacks throughout different eras, different coaches, different systems, really different worlds of college football. So that's a good thing. All right, quick break, we'll come back. You've been rolling along. It's coffee and Company. Feel abou Thorton's ready here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and Company rolling along here halfway through the show on a beautiful, good Friday, coming to you live from our four Street Live Studios and downtown Louisville. Today was one of those days where I really felt like, Okay, I'm glad we're downtown. I mean, there are issues with being down here every now and then, but like we have. I mean, well, the only issue for me is that it's just a little further away than my previous commute to come to work. But I now and I don't know, I've said this the other day, but today is one of the days to make sure and do it. I ended up driving to the top of the of the garage and just you know, we have a pretty good view of downtown Louisville at the top of this garage, and I didn't leave my car up there. I'm lazy and drove back down and parked right outside of our door. But yeah, a lot of people out and about today too. I'm not sure if there's like an event going on, or maybe it's just the fact that you will see more people you know, come out of their work caves down here in Louisville, in downtown, I should say, because you know, you want to be outside. It's beautiful. So anyways, happy to be here. Happy good Friday everybody, and let's try to finish strong here. I will say that Easter underrated holiday. And I'm gonna tell you why. In my opinion and everybody's different, Easter candy is the best candy. I mean, I guess every holiday that has candy involved, then I guess there's not that many you can get, like the the Sweet Tart bunnies, the uh sour Patch jelly beans, like that's right up my allley. I'm not a big chocolate guy, but like those big hollow chocolate bunnies, I'll put one of those away. I'll regret it after because I'll have just such a anything that's like real. And I guess a lot of like cakes, and I'm not a big cake pie that kind of that's just not my thing. And like donuts specifically, I can eat a donut, but like I usually regret it because it's just so rich and fills me up. I love it. But when it comes to like sour sweet candy Starburst, I mean, that's that's right in my wheelhouse. And when I go to like I was at Mayer yesterday to pick up something, and uh, I mean there was a whole isle of of of candy for Easter, but like not in an aisle, but like in the middle. I don't know how to describe it, but like, you know, stuff that they have out kind of promoting that's not in its own place in an aisle, but it's out like in the middle. Uh. They had like a section of nothing but the sour stuff, and I resisted because you know, I don't need it. It's not good for me, and I'll just eat all the stuff my kids get in their Easter basket. So uh, worked worked out well in my older ages. Let's say that when I'm about to turn thirty two, I found myself not loving candy as much as I did when I was younger. That's good. I don't mind like a reses cup every now and then, like if I can go get if I'm like at I don't know, if I feel like I just need something while I'm like at the store and like I let me, I'll grab a Reseis cup. But like I don't know, like you said, like it's just too sweet, too rich for me. And that is part of growing up, man. I mean, I'm not kidding you. Like I've always been a sour candy kind of guy, and I do love the sour candy is this sour sour patch Kids, Sour Skittles are probably the greatest candy attention ever. I don't know how I still have any teeth because I eat those in they're drape, But man, they got there. Used to be the super sour sweet tarts that were like I remember that, not like the powdery crunch, not at the power like the not the typical sweet tarts, but like they were like candy coated and they had like a really they were super sour. Yeah, and they were so delicious and they got rid of it, and it makes me really really sad. I wish I had to load it up on those before they became you know, non existent anymore. But let me give you an example as far as like as you get older, when you were a gweat cereal at all. I haven't in such a long time, but I do. I enjoy cereals. I ate cereal when I was a little kid, and then I just I don't remember when it was, but I probably I'm not kidding you, no exaggeration. I probably have not had a bowl of cereal in over twenty years. And it's not that I'm anti cereal. It's just like, you know, it's it's not my thing. Seek it out. But when you're younger, you're more probably into the frosted flakes, and you're more into like, you know, fruity pebbles, Captain Crunch. Like you guys realize that that's candy with milk, Like that's like that's not good for you. And I'm not. You know, I eat a lot of stuff it's not good for me. I just talked about all these you know, sour candies that aren't good for me either. But as you get older, I think the belief is that all the people that get older they realize, well, because I can't eat the candy cereal anymore, I gotta eat the healthier stuff. I actually think more often than not, people just they look like it's just too much, like it's too much sugar to where you actually enjoy a little bit more of a what's a meat, what's a medium level cereal that's not like creos Yeah. Yeah, cheerios are good enough to where they're not completely you know, it's not like you're eating nothing but the marshmallows and the uh right in the fruit lucky charms. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, so like I think you as you continue to get older, you'll you'll realize that you're probably not ever going to be a health nut. Maybe you will, I don't know, but you know, I mean nobody likes like nobody like you could be mindful of what you eat and be you know, and be aware of like your health, but not be a health nut. But I now know that even if I'm not looking out at all, For if i have a day where I'm like, you know what, do not care about the gloric intake today? And I'm just gonna pig out, and you know, usually when I'm hung over, I do that. But it's not like I'm seeking the healthy stuff. But there's certain things where I'm like, yeah, I can't do that. Like, let me give you an example. I'm I'm in the minority. I'm an outlier because this thing is clearly, very very popular. Therefore there's a lot of people that think it's delicious. I don't know how people eat it, But again I'm the weird one, not you the donut burger at the fair, Like to me, that's like who enjoys that? Everybody clearly, but like me, it's just heavy, it's rich, it's just too much. I mean, you're eating two donuts as the buns, right right, that's a lot. And that's two of my favorite things ever, donuts and burgers. But they just don't. They don't. And that's that's one thing we met. We met some friends in Mexico. Years ago. My wife and I went on a trip. This is right after we It's actually it was a year after a honeymoon, so we were young, newlywed still and we ended up making some friends. Still, yeah, thank you. We met some some friends that I mean they became friends. We met and they were from Canada, but they were around our age and we had a we had a great time. And uh, one of the guys who I still talk to from now for every now and then, he said something. And in a late night drunken party at this resort we were having a ball but he said something, and even though I was insanely intoxicated, it stuck with him because I never thought about it. And he was right. Though. You know, America, we put a lot of good foods together that don't need to be together. They're great on their own, Like like a I can eat a bacon cheeseburger, but do we need it? Like, you know, like there's certain like donuts and burgers, they're both exclusively very great. Why do we need like it's just it's a force, and clearly it's you know, it's not healthy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: What it is with the donut burger with me is like I like donuts, but when you're eating a donut alone, you usually go and this might sounds so crazy out of context if you're not watching, but you usually do, like you hold it with the two fingers and you just like kind of eat it that way. So when you get the glaze and all the sweetness, oh yeah, the way you're holding a hamburger that has a bum and the way you're holding a glazed donut that's got all the glaze on it, Like, it's totally different, like I guess, And if it's uncomfortable for me to like, like I this is gonna make me sound like a whimp, and I'm sure people will make fun of me. I am well aware that the better chicken is on a bone. Chicken wings are better than boneless wings, which are essentially nuggets. I think both can be good. In fact, I like both, but I know that the chicken on a bone is as a as a higher quality, better chicken. But if the wings are so messy, like that's more work to where it's not really worth the difference. If that makes sense, you're absolutely yeah, Like if I gotta if I got to take a bath midway through the eight wings, I got like, you know, it's not worth it, like they're good like And that's thing with food. I mean, food is a big part of everybody's life, and I love good food. I don't even know what I'm gonna have for dinner tonight, but I hope my wife picks a great restaurant. But with all that said, like I'm pretty easy to please, like when it comes to because I'm a pretty plain eater. So same, yeah, I mean, I now I'm hungry. Everyone's that just realize that I have an eating today. You want that donut burger, don't you? You got me commenced now, But I'll spend the whole time eating the donut burg because I have partaken in it before. But I spent the whole time eating it just like knowing I want to get this over with so I can wash my hands, Like I feel how sticky my hands are getting because I got a palm, the thing. And it's the same thing when I'm eating a traditional bone and wings, like I'm enjoying the process of doing it, but as like the napkins are piling up, it's.
Speaker 1: Just too much.
Speaker 2: Well it's a lot like you need you need to go like hose down after eating. And you know, I'm sure there are some foods that are good enough to where it's worth it. Maybe you'll you'll, you know, you'll eat it naked if you have to, if it's that good. But the donut burger, I've never even attempted it, and I just again, both both are exclusively fine. It's just I don't I just don't need that. But I just clearly they're popular. I eat Burger's plain anyway, like it's ten year old. So I can't imagine like cheese, lettuce tomato with like with the with the with the burger or with the donut, and I just can't see how that that that blend of flavor goes together. I'm with you, all right, So let's do this. Let's save this for we're up against it, and I know if we get rolling the clock management will be really terrible. So we'll talk about the quarterback thing I brought up a minute ago as far as just realizing how Again, the reason we're doing this is to realize just how great Louisville football has been at the quarterback position. Not to say that they're the best in college football, but we've been pretty spoiled with some great quarterbacks around here. And Tyler Shuck looking like a guy that could be taken pretty early in this draft potentially is another reminder that we've been pretty spoiled. So again, we'll finish the four o'clock hour up with that conversation. And I hope you stick around. Why would you not? I mean, I mean, come on, Donut Burger's quarterbacks. John says, we talked about it all this week, Candy. You know, you never know where we're going to go, and I like to convince myself that that's a good thing. I hope it is. If you're with us and you hear this clearly, you know you like us enough to stick around, So that's a good thing. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk BOK seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety, wrapping up the four o'clock hour, getting you set for the week and a good Friday here. All right, So you guys need to get ready for the next hilarious PayPal campaign with Will Ferrell singing his rendition of Fleetwood Max go your own way in a bathtub. Check out the teaser tonight and the commercial during basketball games this weekend. All right. So I had to read that. I had to read that. I feel like there's there's something missing like that? Was that just that? That's that's what was sent in to read? But like, but what are they listening to? Like get ready for the next hilarious like what? I didn't even I feel like I've told them to do something, but I don't know. I'm not giving them any any direction as far as where they find this. So anyways, basketball games is that like the NBA games or I guess has to be. But like says, get ready for the next hilarious PayPal campaign, you know, So that's what it is, the PayPal campaign. Anyways, go check it out. All right. Also, I already regret doing this, by the way, bring and it wasn't something I had planned. It just came up organically. And I'm going to emphasize for the tenth time. Maybe the reason this is even being discussed is because it's a reminder of how fortunate Louisville fans are at the quarterback position. But I can just see it now, like somebody who's you know, clearly moved on from football, has their own career, their own family, maybe a good day. You hear that show on seven ninety they said you were the worst quarterback in twenty years. I don't want to do that, but I also don't want to completely bail on it. But Tyler Shuck has a chance to be drafted fairly early. It sounds like and even before Shuck, Louisville fans, I think were well aware that we were pretty spoiled when it comes to having really, really good quarterbacks for many, many, many, many eras. I mean, I'm going back just the last twenty years, but even further than that, we've had some really good quarterbacks, including you know, the guy who's coaching our program right now. But in the last twenty years, so think two thousand, so think Brian Brahm on which is crazy to say, Brian started playing here twenty years ago, but here we are, Uh, who do you feel like comes to mind? Who comes to mind first to you? As far as somebody that you're like, yeah, that guy was not a good quarterback and we weren't good and he was a big factor in that. Who would you who comes to mind for you first? Okay, since we're just talking about that era, Hunter can't well, okay, now that that's a good one because Hunter. Uh And I'm glad you said Hunter, not because I'm saying, yeah, that guy stinks, he's lousy. But there are other names that could be mentioned. But I like, if you if you were the starting quarterback and then you weren't within like a few games or halfway through like that, like you know, I don't want to say you don't count, but you know, like you not being the quarterback the rest of the season kind of tells us that it didn't work out. Therefore, you know, there was a change made. So here are guys that I thought you were gonna say, Juwan Pass Uh, dude, I almost forgot it. Well because he's easy to forget because he wasn't the quarterback anymore. He got benched like three games in and they ended up having to come back because Elite got hurt. And like, obviously, you know, he never started a full season and I don't even know how many games he started overall. So can I mention two that you might have on your list and spoil it? Because these are another ones when I think about dark time for well, maybe not even dark time, but just dark quarterback time when you mentioned about being spoiled, but two that come to mind. They're on the same team, but they were just flat out bad. Justin Burke and Adam Frohman. See I I hear you, do you? But I feel like those guys weren't great quarterbacks, but we got everything out of them as far as what they could do. We're running the ball a lot too. He won that the Victor Anderson years and below. So Justin Burke was the guy I believe at the end of Cragthorpe. No I think so, but whenever, whenever, it was that last yet. So Burke was the quarterback in two thousand and nine, which yeah, he ended. I don't know if he got hurt or got bingched, But that year in two thousand and nine, which I think was Charlie's first year. They ended up I think it was his first year. Maybe it wasn't, but it was a mixture of Burke, Frohman, and will Stein. But Frohman in twenty ten, you know, I don't think he was great at the position, but he gave us everything he had and they found ways to win enough to where we got to a bowl game. So, like, I wouldn't claim that Frohman is anywhere near like one of the better quarterbacks in the last twenty years, but he's a good example in my opinion, if that's the one, If that's one of the worst guys that started the season for you all the way through, that speaks to how good you've been at quarterbacks, sure, because you know he was good enough to keep the job and you won, and it was that was a fun year because it was Charlie's first year. We were coming off the crag air uh and you got to that. I mean that Beef O. Brady's Bowl doesn't even exist anymore. I don't think the stadium exists, but that that felt like we were in the Super Bowl, didn't it? Like that was fun, man, that was really fun. Blow Pale running all over people. Uh so, yeah, Nick Mullins was he's a quarterback for Southern Miss at that time. Didn't he catch like a touchdown like a trickery, like weird touchdown in the I don't remember that, but I I just remember that Larry Ustation was that his name? U station, Yes, that the guy whatever happened to him because he was at old he was at Southern Miss and then he got the uh he got the North Carolina job. And I he's one of those guys that I just I just know Larry Stace. She's a basketball coach. I knew I had that wrong. Who coached Southern Miss in North Carolina. It's gonna drive me crazy and it's so and it's absolutely irrelevant from our conversation. But I have this issue or once I like I'm out there, it's on the tip of my tongue. I just can't. I can't move on from it. It is uh and it drive me insane. And again, this is not even it doesn't matter. It makes no difference about the conversation we're having, But I can't move on from it. You don't have any clue, uh, Larry Fedora that that was Southern Missus head coach in two thousand and nine. Oh god, now I'm just googling it because I'm I'm a madman. That sounds right, Yeah, that's him, but or it didn't sound right, but yeah, so that was him. He was at Southern miss then he went to Carolina and he he hasn't coached a long time, by the way, but yeah, he got fired at Carolina in twenty eighteen and he did some analyst work for a while. But anyways, he also is the one who said he doesn't believe c T is reel and you know, I think that probably didn't help him, you know, at finding another job. But anyways, the other quarter, like again, these guys they ended up getting binched. I'm not here to say that, you know, they're the worst ever, but like them getting bench means that, like, I don't think they should be in the conversation because you know, clearly the results spoke for themselves that they were removed from the position, if that makes sense. So you know, Hunter Campbell was a good one. But Hunter was good when he filled in for Brom when Brom got hurt, and then whenever he became the man after Brom left during Crackthorpe season. You know that's a good one because Louisville wasn't good that year, and I think there were a variety of reasons, but I do remember quarterback plays seemingly felt like one of those reasons. And also, I mean, I mean that's I would have never thought of Hunter. But I think you're right because I remember I can remember games where I felt like he was throwing it five yards, but he threw it five hundred miles an hour. Yeah, he had only sixteen passing touchdown. You remember the hot take artists that were saying that the year that Brom came back and Hunter came back to be the backup again after filling in for him, Like there were people saying that Hunter Campbell actually was a better NFL prospect than Brom. I don't remember. And then he played out because he did good for Bobby. You don't remember him playing with Bobby. I remember got hurt in two thousand and four, I think it was, and it was the Bowl game against Virginia Tech where Michael Vick's brother Marcus Vick stepped on Bloomerville's leg. Yes, Hunter had a good run there to where people are like man not only does does Bobby Patrino have a Jeff Brohm next next year coming off injury? How about that Campwell kid who was great and then once it became Hunter's job, it just it didn't work. But look a lot of it I think had to do with just the guy coaching or so long hair loo other Again, like Malik, Malik was great in all aspects, he just didn't play for a great team. And he wasn't Lamar or he wasn't I mean, he had some big shoes to fill. Yeah, it coming off the shadow of Lamar, that was pretty tough, can I give you? And really, I tell you what, I don't really remember any games that Louisville lost under under sadder Field with Malik as the quarterback, where like, damn we'd a one if quarterback play wasn't great, but we also at times did win just because he could he could do some crazy things. Yeah. But also what I what I hate for Malik is there, and this is more so not this isn't his fat well, this is just the era that is Sadderfield. There's no notable win, there's no moment, you never beat your rival, you didn't have any real big Bowl wins that really seemed to matter. Yeah, and like you never had a big ACC win, right, you never got over the hump and beat a Florida State. You never beat Clemson obviously, So like nobody would say he was bad. But there's not a moment to where when you think back to really good quarterbacks, he just doesn't come to mind as much as as put it this way, he doesn't come to mind as much as you would expect him to when you look at the numbers and the stats that he had because he was a quarterback here for many years and anytime he was the starter, he put up good numbers. So yeah, I mean Jack Plumber, I mean he again. Yeah, another good example if he's one of the worst. You went to the a SEC championship, but it was a wordly two hundred yard it was, and he was actually all ACC thirteen. I think. I think it was more so just because he had big numbers as far as yards because of Brom's offense and Louisville was good. But you know, it was a weird year watching Louisville football for these two reasons. One we aren't used to it no matter who the coach is. But also problem was the coach, which makes you think there's no way this would ever be the case, but it was. Louisville went ten and two and was a really good football team. But when you think about like things that really are their strength and things that are their weakness, they didn't have the worst quarterback in the league clearly, but quarterback play was one of the weaknesses, you know what I mean. And that's just not something you would expect from a guy, you know, meeting from Jeff, from a Jeff Brohm coach team. And also we just aren't used to if we're good and we're making noise and we're knocking on the door to you know, remind people Louisville football actually at times gonna be pretty special. It's usually because we have pretty good quarterbacks, you know what I mean. So just kind of weird, random name a guy that I also think doesn't doesn't count because you know, just because he got pulled Will Gardner, you forgot about it. Dune. I was about to say, are you okay he was because he looked good early and then you know, yes, that first game against Miami and the acc opener, like I remember the comment table numbers gushing over him. This is a Bobby Petrino quarterback dom. I think Brown ran all over Miami and then never played for Bobby again, I don't think. And then and then he went to the doghouse. And then also Will Gardner was great in that game. And then they went on the road to Virginia, he played terrible. And then I think he just got in his own head and they had to make a change. Yes, yeah, he at times looked like the part, but I think upstairs he just at times he would overthink it. Yeah, Reggie, Reggie stepped in because of that. And Reggie, you know, I don't even consider him a quarterback. He didn't go on the road and beat notre name. However, Reggie ended up playing two other positions and was just simply better at those two positions, both of them running back and receiver. All right, scrip down memory lane, that's fun stuff. Scars quick quick break, we'll come back. We will hit the five o'clock hour run and right here on Sports Talk seven ninety