Speaker 1: Welcome everybody to the Paparazzi Podcast. I am Jedi, he is Mark, and we are back for another funfilled frolic into the world of paparazzi and newsman photography.
Speaker 2: There has been a lot of frolicking since the last podcast, so we're going to get through as much as we can in this hour, and then maybe we're probably going to have to do another one to cram the rest of what we want to talk about in the second one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's been a ton of shit's been going on, weddings and all sorts of shenanigums.
Speaker 2: But most importantly, to be honest, straight off the bat, Jedi.
Speaker 1: Straight off, I know where you're going.
Speaker 2: The Rookie is back in production.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Shout out to our Rookie followers, our Rookie fans out there who have been waiting patiently for season eight to start production. It started today with a bang, a triple set production.
Speaker 1: See I didn't notice you going live on Instagram? Are you going to be back doing that for Season eight? And the Rookie giving the fans what they want?
Speaker 2: I mean, given the opportunity. See what happened today was I checked everything the main cast, which was Eric Winter and a few others that I will be posting in their street clothes. By the way, they got to set late and all I could do was do a little bit of drone of the production, and then my daughter needed me, so I had to leave. But they're going back tomorrow, so hopefully i'll have a little bit more tomorrow, maybe a live tomorrow. I can only do live when I can walk up and start, you know, doing a live. If you can't see anything, I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think they recognize you now on set? They must do, right, You've been there a ton of times.
Speaker 2: Well during the hiatus, I think they all kind of forget, you know. But when I show up, maybe I'll be able to do it. I was thinking Jedi of getting some of those meta glasses.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that would be really cool.
Speaker 2: Using those to go onto these sets instead of having to put the phone in my pocket stuff like that, just actually just walk around with the glasses on. I think that's a good you go.
Speaker 1: Can you go live from them?
Speaker 2: I don't know, can you?
Speaker 1: I mean, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: If you can't go live, then fuck that.
Speaker 1: You must be able to write, because it's it's the Facebook shit, right, It's Facebook, Instagram, Zuckerberg stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I think you just connected to your phone and it becomes like the camera somehow, and I think you can probably go live with that camera. I would hope. So if I can't, and if that doesn't work, then you know, some of these tech giants need to uh ship.
Speaker 1: Well that's pretty cool until you forget that you're live and you go take a pit.
Speaker 2: Well that'll make it a better live, right, I would definitely need well, those cameras are wide. I would definitely need a more telephoto lens. So rookies back everybody and stay tuned for more on the shooting of season Ocho, have.
Speaker 1: You watched any of the Rookie? You don't watch it? Right? Those it is oo Ocho Sinko e eighty Sorry.
Speaker 2: Have I watched any of the the Rookie? I have. I've kind of bounced around a little bit. I watched maybe three quarters of season one, and then I've just it's been just been popping up here and there, and when I see it, I'll watch it for about ten to fifteen minutes. I don't think as someone who's not you know, completely invested that. I don't think you need to really follow the whole thing. You can kind of bounce around and just enjoy it as they do. And I just like to watch stuff that I've shot, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I see if it's something that I shot, I watched the whole episode, and if it's not a turn off, that's cool. Before we get into our stories, I wanted to bring up a subject that I was actually talking about with another photographer recently, and I kind of wanted to get your take on it, right because as everybody knows, or as the listeners know from us, that the business is, you know, in a weird place right now. It is hard to make money in this business when it used to be fairly easy. Outlets are not buying the pictures that they used to buy. You really have to kind of dig deep to figure out a story or work on a story, or get an old person as an unrecognizable or you have to get a day rate out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going through It's been going through this weird kind of phase for a while now. You know. Back in the old day, when we were agency photographers, the key was to get as many sets of as many people as you can during the day, because any set of anybody back then would sell. You know, you could position yourself on any street in Beverly Hills or other grow and shoot three, four or five six sets a day of anybody and make money on all of them. But now you know, the outlets are not just buying a random set of anybody. There has to be, like you say, a story relating to that person, or it has to be somebody that hasn't been seen for a long time, or hey, if so and so is eighty, now guess who it is. They're unrecognizable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're running out of those. So, I mean, I saw into Hamilton on a post today and she looked a little old, but she was not unrecognizable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a ton of them unrecognizable. They just look exactly the same as they are, but with a little more gray hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that's what we were talking about, and you know, we were trying to kind of kind of reassess the business and what the difference is. And it came down to something that I've been talking about four years, Jedi, which is monetization. We are the only content creators on the Internet that don't get paid monetized. We don't get paid by the amount of traffic that our content creates, right And you know, I was been told I'm crazy, that there's no way that this would happen, you know, there's no way it could happen, or something like that, and we were just going over ways that it could happen, and we had a lot of ideas. Comes down to, basically withholding your exclusive pictures and trying to sell them in a new fashion, in a new format, which is, you know, selling them at the rate that they're at, but also putting a twenty four forty eight seventy two hour monetization on the life of the pictures because the pictures don't usually live any longer than that, and not authlorady in bargoes that are that are you know, put in a position that are that work for the outlets. But obviously they're getting paid by traffic. Obviously they're getting paid by monetization.
Speaker 1: And it's just so yeah, ads as well, aren't they That there's ads on you know, people dot Com, the Daily Mail, you know, New York Post, the Sun, any of these outlets that we're consuming the news, you know, via the internet. They're selling ad space on all of those.
Speaker 2: Sites exactly, and everything's driven by traffic. It's all driven by traffic, and the traffic that one picture creates is obviously different than another what another picture creates, but we don't get paid much differently for that. Honestly, when it comes down to the amount that you know is probably being made behind the pay walls and stuff like that, that it would probably be shown that we are paid pretty unfairly. And obviously it would take the unification of all the agencies to adopt this kind of philosophy on sales and stuff like that, which won't happen. So it's going to take somebody to create a new agency that they'll get exclusives from and stuff that you know they can't do without, and to create a new style of sales for those pictures. And then once it's done, it's done. And then once it's done, every photographer will give you pictures. So if anybody's willing to go out there and do that, join me. We can go do that kind of thing a second, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, it's just it's so hard as well, though, isn't it. Because as soon as our pictures go up on like just say the daily mail. For example, our pictures go up, they're then ripped off and put on you know, one hundred different Twitter pages. Or if there's a video that we share and it goes on the mail is then ripped off by Twitter. The video and it, you know, in some instances, could get hundreds of thousands of views and actually give you know, the Twitter user who's stolen it and posted it revenue, whereas we're not getting anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, and there's there's really nothing we can do about that. Obviously, if we have a you know, a lawyer team on the payroll, we can probably get some cease and desists done and maybe a few lawsuits like some of the agencies do. But you know, normally we can't really do much about that. So the only thing we can do is change the sales structure of these pictures to go along with the way money is made these days on the internet. You know, I mean, we're we're selling pictures like they were print. We never got any sales of how many magazines were sold because of our pictures. You can it track that kind of a thing, but now everything could be tracked. Everything has data behind it. They track it themselves. I mean, every picture has you know, account of shares on it and stuff. I mean, you could track every single detail that our picture does after its sales, and it just seems that it's such an easy thing to create. And it's not like we would be looking for hundreds of thousands of dollars on top of this whole thing. It's just not paid fairly for the life of the picture exactly.
Speaker 1: Now. Question we just talked about print, When was the last time you saw one of your pictures printed actually in a magazine.
Speaker 2: Like, saw it in the magazine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or even if you knew of it like being in a magazine.
Speaker 2: Not on my owhnew of it being in a magazine. I mean I see it on my sales reports.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so stop it still getting printed because I mean now I'm doing you know, day rates for well for the websites. Basically, I don't think I've had a picture in print in over a year, which which is nuts because you know, again going back to our agency days, when we'd shoot all these people day in day out, it was like every Wednesday or Thursday, we'd go to a news stand and scour through every magazine and be like, oh, I've got seven pictures in US Weekly. I've got I've got six in Touch, I've got two in People, and i've got one in Life and Style. But now the news stands even still exist, No, I haven't seen one.
Speaker 2: There's only a couple of them that are still around. I mean there's still the one in Beverly Hills, you know, in Beverly's that I saw the other day. It actually reminds me. I'll just touched on this real quick of when I used to go to those magazine stands. And I've talked about this on the podcast before, but if a'body knew listening, this is kind of a quick, funny story. But I was at the news stand one day and I was just sitting in my car, probably talking on the phone or something, and we would go there because celebrities would go up to those.
Speaker 1: News stands, absolutely, and we would wait.
Speaker 2: And I remember because I saw an article on him today posting something about, you know, AI concentration camps or something. Michael Rappaport, who's a huge political you know guy these days, kind of a nutcase. I mean, you know, I like the guy, like his acting stuff like that, but he's a political kind of nutbag. He I got pictures of him looking at a booty magazine one time, and it went everywhere and it was hilarious. You know, aside from the sales direct sales that agencies can do. You know, we were also talking about day rates and how you know, I was bringing up the fact that we're you know, we're independent contractors, and we were telling stories to each other about our recent day rates and how quick and easy some day rates are and how some day rates are super hard. Specifically, we were talking about Toby and Toby getting shot in the head and how we just mentioned, oh, he should have got hazard pay for that job, you know, like a little extra, a little bonus on the side, where they said, oh you know what, hey, bro, you just got shot in the head for us. Here you go, here's a little bit of bonus or something like that, and it kind of, you know, the conversation kind of evolved into, well, geez, maybe we should be like contractors contracting the rates instead of just taking a day rate for you know, obviously, if I'm going to go get someone unrecognizable, some oldie, that'll take me maybe a day maybe or two. But it's just sitting out in front of their house and following at the grocery store and getting them coming out super easy. Toby, on the other hand, when they say, hey, can you go do the job of the riots for us and go get into the riots for us, maybe you know the few hundred that you're supposed to get could be raked up a little bit more, you.
Speaker 1: Know, bumped up a little bit. Yeah, why not? I mean, look, I've been in the business for twenty years now and the day rate has not changed from the first day rate I ever got. It's been the same amount of money for twenty years, which is absolutely insane, isn't it. Really. Yeah, everything has gone up apart from the day rate. But I love the idea of you know, so I want to pool put in my backyard. I'm going to go to a bunch of different contractors, get all the different rates, and I'm going to pick the style of the pool artists that I like and the best rate. Whereas, you know, we could all have our little you know, a website with all the different photographers, their styles, their rates, their success rate, pictures in the past, and you know, the magazine or website calls us up and we give quotes on jobs. I think that idea is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and obviously there'll be guys that can undercut you. Obviously there's guys that can say, oh, well, i'll do the rate for cheaper, or you know, you could find people that do the rate for cheaper, but those kind of those kind of rates you're going to pay. The guys that are I'll be just gonna sit out and you know, maybe not even go and do the job to get a second day rate, or you know, they'll they'll just lie about what they're doing. You know, it'll be all about your reputation and about be about your track record. It'll be about you know, how you know, how deep you get into these stories and stuff like that based on reputation. Just like a regular contract or a construction contractor would you know you're gonna go hire the best, You're not if you want to hire the cheapest finne you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Some cheap ass shit yeah, or nothing.
Speaker 2: Or nothing, you know, or they're gonna skip out on it or something like that. Exactly. So it's not about outrageous amounts of money. It's not like I'm going to say instead of you know, four or five hundred dollars for a day rate. I'm going to charge you three thousand for the day rate. And I'm not talking about something like that. I'm just talking about getting paid fairly for what we're doing. Because times have changed. We're barely hanging on out there, and everybody else, everybody else's you know, pay has changed, everybody else's sales and the way they make money online and stuff has changed. We're still the same as we were, yeah, in the nineties, two thousand's, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I've had conversations with people in the last couple of months that, like, shit, we might actually have to get jobs soon. I love this job so much. I'm good at it. I don't want to be I don't want to do anything else, Like I want to be able to still earn enough to make a living doing this. But at the moment, I'm going to be doing this to like die. I'm not going to be able to retire anytime soon. Are you kidding me? I'm not going to be able to buy a house anytime soon.
Speaker 2: If you are changing the format or switching the way we get paid. Yeah, it's just evolution. It's just the evolution of the business, and it can make it so that you can continue to do the job, continue to do the job kind of admirably, and you'll get paid. You know, you'll get paid fairly. It's all about being paid fairly. You know. The photographers have been left behind. They're treated like slaves, they're treated like they're just photographers. You know. Obviously we have good relationships with a lot of the people that hire us and stuff like that. But in the end, it's about paying bills. You know, everything's going up. I mean me living in California, need I say that, right? Yeah, And you know, one job is not the same as the other job, and the pay needs to kind of reflect that, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, and also like I don't know if the editors even think about this, Like we're paying taxes on our day rates. We're not collecting the full day rate. We're paying taxes on that day. Right, We're also paying healthcare on the day. Right, we have no benefits at all. There's no four oh one ks or you know, if we were in four o one k again, it'll come out of the day rate a day rate. Although you know, if it's however much we're getting, we ain't getting that amount of money at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Exactly well and Jedi. So the conversation continued, you know, and obviously when you get two minds, two genius minds in this business that have been this business for a long time, you start spitballing even further. And imagine just imagine, okay, a world where not only can we sell pictures monetized twenty four forty eight seventy two hours, but imagine getting a day rate, you know, at the price that it's fair, but then also on top of that, the pictures that you get, the video that you get, you get also paid monetized on top of that twenty four forty eight seventy two hours. And it's a combination of the day rate and the life of the picture online, you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, sign sign me up exactly.
Speaker 2: It's very fair, and it gives incentive to the photographers to go that extra mile and to do that extra you know, do a little extra that they need to get that, to just go out of their way, go out, go out on a limb to get that, you know, to get the shot video.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, for any editors listening to this, I hope I'm not coming across as ungrateful because I am very grave for any work I do get, but any extra money that I could get would be fucking great as well.
Speaker 2: Well then I mean, I mean, can we stand by our work. We're not lazy, you know, stupid photographers that don't know what we're doing, you know what I mean? So I said, you get what you get with us. I feel totally confident talking about this because it's fair. It is just it's a fair station, and it'll probably never happen, to be honest, But you know, I'm just putting it out there because we do have a podcast, we do have a voice, and I know other photographers into this, and I know some agency people listen to this, and you know, maybe somewhere someday someone might stand up for.
Speaker 1: Us exactly, and and and just to put it out there for you know, the kind of value that people get from from a day. For me, I was up at four four o'clock this morning for a six am flight. I took two flights, and I watched my target today, you know, after being up at four o'clock earlier than four o'clock whatever I said. And I didn't finish work till eight o'clock this evening. So that's that's on the clock for sixteen hours. You know, that's not that's not your nine to five.
Speaker 2: Well, and if you get down, if you break it down the hours and the stress of going through you know, the airports, and the stress of getting here, getting there, and you know, everything put on top of it. When you break down the actual numbers and the data, it comes out to be not exactly a fair rate. You know what if you get the pictures, you know, if you do get the pictures, and everybody, because I mean when you get pictures and you nail the ship out of the pictures, your fucking hero, you know. Oh yeah, so in those hero moments, it would be nice to not just sit back and get what I would have made if I didn't even make it, if I didn't even get the pictures. I mean, just the extra bonus would be nice. When you know, we'll come in on those websites, you know what I mean. Yeah, And we're not ungrateful. We are just the people. See, if we do offend any of the outlets on this episode, we do apologize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't ever mean to be well, sometimes sometimes we do want to offend you, but not this time.
Speaker 2: But switching gears. Stories you've been out.
Speaker 1: Stories I have, mate, I've got I got a good one. It was. It was a funny one. So I was. I was covering a wedding the same weekend as bezos wedding, one that obviously was nowhere near as big as exciting, but it was a good story anyway. I don't know if you've seen the last couple of days the the police dash cam video has come out from the Mary lou Retton arrest. Do you know who she is?
Speaker 2: I didn't see the video, but I saw the films, so.
Speaker 1: It was hilarious. So Mary Lourettin was a USA gymnast. I think she was maybe a gold medalist or a medalist in the eighty four Olympics, I believe Los Angeles Olympics. She's from West Virginia and I was in West Virginia a couple of weeks ago trying to trying to track her down and find her with a reporter, and we had no joy trying to find her. But we did, however, find out that her daughter was getting married in Dallas a couple of weekends ago. And the reporter I was working with originally on it had been given the run around by Mary Lou a couple of times basically, and I wanted to get these pictures so fucking bad, as like a revenge for not being able to get her and you know, looking for her all over the fucking place. So we found the location of the wedding. It was the Botanical Gardens in Dallas. We managed to figure that out via Mary Lou's daughters instagrams. A couple of them were tagging stuff on there. One of them tag a picture of the actual location. But one week to go, we're like, okay, this is fucking brilliant. We know exactly where it is. So the day of the wedding comes, well, actually the day before the wedding, I managed to get pictures of them going to like a rehearsal at the at the venue, just you know, just just to follow and then some pictures. But it was the first pictures since Mary Lou's arrest, and like since a year ago when she ran a go fund me basically because she had a ton of medical bills from was it leukemia or or something like that, something to do with the lungs and she was on like a breathing apparatus. So I got pictures of her no breathing apparatus looking one hundred percent fine, so we think, like massive scam. So the weddings. The next day, I call up the venue and say, hey, I'm with the so and so party for the wedding. What time can I start arriving? What time can I arrive? I'm a guest, and they give me the time I can arrive. They say, you know, the wedding's at five thirty. The the the Botanical Gardens closed to the public at five, but you can start arriving at three forty five. So I'm like, great. I go in a little earlier than that, check it out. Line up the venue that they posted on Instagram with the actual venue, which looks different now than you know, got chairs and fucking an arch and all that shit all set up. So I'm looking around trying to figure out is there any angle I can hide? Can I hide in a bush out here? You know? Partner? The park closes at five? Can I hide anywhere? And then there's nowhere that I can hide at all? So I actually go outside at the venue to try and find an angle inside because it's quite close to the main road. So I go outside I stand up on a bus stop, have a look, can't quite see over. There's two hedges. I'd kind of make a hole in the hedge stick my camera through, and then there's other bushes on the other side, so there's no view there. There's a tree, Like, fuck me do I go full Julane Maxwell and climb a tree to try and shoot this wedding. And I'm jumping up, jumping up, and I just can't reach. I just cannot. If I was a foot taller, i'd be able to nail it. And then times ticking, times ticking, and it's five point fifteen. The wedding's about to start in fifteen minutes. On my I'm going to go to fucking home depot and get a ladder. So I drove to home depot, which was seven minutes away. I picked up a step ladder, a five step step ladder, rushed back to the venue parts it illegally dumps. Stood it up against the tree, and there's two minutes to the wedding. Stood it up against the tree, got to the top step, poked my head through the tree. There's a v in the tree which I can just stand in perfectly with my camera and not be seen. Albeit, I am on a main road and there's a very busy main road in Dallas, and there's tons of cars going past, and I'm just stood on this ladder. The music starts playing. Mary Lou walks down the aisle, you know, with her ex husband I think it was, and she's a short, little gymnast, clean pictures of her. I get the bride walking down the aisle. I get Mary Lou, I get the bridesmaids, I get the groom, I get the whole fucking thing. Well, I'm standing on this ladder railing it off, and I'm like, I'm going to get seen at some point, and I don't want to be too much of a dick. I don't want to ruin the wedding. I jump off the ladder, put the put the ladder back in the cart, and go and return it to homekeeper. So I go and get my money back and just just naeld the the Jesus out of the pictures. And it was a revenge set. I'm not going to say I wouldn't have worked this hard otherwise, but I did put the extra effort in just to kind of avenge the reporter and get this this great story in the back.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes you need that extra motivation and then you end up nailing it. I find it interesting though, that you had the angle of them coming down the aisle because you know, obviously a lot of times during weddings and stuff, you have the opposite angle of them walking away from you. But then you might like them up, you know, on the stage or you know, and you'll have like a profile or something like that. So it's good that you've got that angle, you know.
Speaker 1: Just just straight down the bow. And it's funny. I was talking to another photographer on my way back from home depot after I dropped the ladder back off and just just telling him what I've done, like reveling in my glory, and he's like, oh, yeah, I've done that once before as well. It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I literally had the ladder for like two hours and just took it back. I'm like, may I had it for thirty seven minutes and took it back. They must have wondered, like, what the fuck I was doing?
Speaker 2: Nah, it happens all the time.
Speaker 1: It's all good, yeah, but it was. It was. It was a really fun one to work, not super hope high profile. But you know, whenever you end up nailing something, and it actually got a really good showing online as well. It was you know, it was a real feel good story for me. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've actually shot a couple of botanical gardens myself, and as you were telling the story, I was kind of relating to it. So they closed it off to the public for the public to come in. Now, if there was public already in the botanical gardens, would they be able to be in the potential? They kicked everybody out.
Speaker 1: They kicked everybody out. Okay, yeah, everybody out.
Speaker 2: Because the couple of times I've done that, they've closed off the potanical gardens, but the people that were already in could kind of remain and you know, well at least like I did, you know when they would close.
Speaker 1: Can you remember who you shot in the botanical gardens before?
Speaker 2: Well, it's always been a production.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was Katherine McPhee once that was in that Scorpion show and then also Mandy Moore in uh This is Us got her and it was Yeah, it was one of those where they kind of closed it off, but then people are still kind of in there, and I would because it's the potanical gardens as bushes everywhere.
Speaker 1: You know, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just went and kind of lined up where I knew they were going to shoot, and I just kind of just hid in a bush, you know. And then when the scene happened, it's like okay, I and then I nailed it. And then I just got up and left in front of everybody, just popped out of the bush, Like, where the fuck did that guy come from? You know?
Speaker 1: Well, I remember years ago in La as well, Katie Perry filmed I think it was.
Speaker 3: Raw at the the ab how'd you say, Abati Arboreta something like that, in the one named near Santa Santa Anita.
Speaker 1: Okay, she shot that video there and I was like tasked with trying to get pictures in that place, but I could. I never actually found it, found the stet.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, it looks like we're nearing break time here. When we took a quick break and we'll be back with you got some more stories.
Speaker 1: I've got one more story.
Speaker 2: Sweet, all right, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. I hope everybody had a refreshment for that break.
Speaker 2: I cut my toenails I would think most people are listening in their car, so that's.
Speaker 1: Where that's where I listened to my podcasts.
Speaker 2: Don't drink and drive. That's the message from the PBC.
Speaker 1: What else have I been doing. I got one more little story. I was in one of my favorite places in the country. I guess you can have a guess.
Speaker 2: Martha's Vinnam. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Nantucket, Nantucket. Yeah, I ended up back on Nantucket. It was supposed to be for the fourth of July weekend, but I got two sets in the two days prior to fourth of July, so they sent me home early, which I was kind of upset about because the whole point of being there was for the Fourth of July parade, which was where I got Bill Belichick and his much younger squeeze Jordan Hudson last year. Probably the best set that's been got of them was the one I got last year on the fourth of July. Yeah, but anyway, on the second of July, it wasn't a fantastic scept to be honest. They just they went into town and picked up another car. But it was, you know, pictures of a pair of them together. And then the next day I actually got them going to the airport and flying out of Nantucket, but they were due to fly back actually the first time, the second I was there and got the pictures. Yeah, I got them flying out getting on a private jet. Again like great pictures. It was like they were walking down a catwalk towards me, basically cleaning down the barrel. But yeah, they got on a private jet and actually flew to Saratoga, New York, where I managed I told the desk where they were heading after I got the tail number, and they managed to get a photographer to actually get to the airport in Saratoga and get them getting off a plane there as well, nice, which was really cool. So we kind of a kind of a double set. But then then after that I got I got asked to leave because you know, they were no longer there, which I was upset about because I actually figured out that they were coming back the next day, and I found the plane they were coming back on the next day, and I was already boarded my plane literally five minutes before they landed. So I was absolutely gutted about that because I would have loved to have got one more set of them and done the fourth of July Shenanigans. But whatever. Hopefully I'll end up back on the island another time, another time this year, sometimes soon. Hopefully I was there. I think I think I did seven trips there last year, so hopefully there'll be a few more to come this year. We'll see. It's still very early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're becoming kind of a regular on Nantucket. I mean, people probably know you a little bit. And there's really I mean, there's not many better places to be for Fourth of July than Nantucket.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, mate, it's stunning. Actually a funny story trying to get to Nantucket. So I go. It was two flights to me from Buffalo, one two. Actually I didn't even come from Buffalo. I went straight from Texas, where I'd finished the Mary Lou story. So I flew Dallas to Boston, and it was going to be Boston to Nantucket. But as I was up in the air in Boston, it was on a it was you know the little cessna's they hold like eight people. We're on one of those from Boston to Nantucket. And the fog set in about it's about a forty five minute flight and the fog set in about forty minutes into the flight, so we circled it must have been like a dozen times and then actually couldn't land on the island, so we had to It was either go back to Boston and start again, or go to an airport like a fifteen minute flight away from from Nantucket called Hyenas, which from there you can actually take an uber down to the ferry port and then get an hour long ferry. So that's why I ended up doing. I ended up, you know, making friends with everybody on the flight. We shared two ubers down to the down to the harbor, and then we spent the next hour on the boat kind of drinking beers. And you know, they were all locals apart from one of a girl there, a young college student who was my d one volleyball player at some fancy school, and then another kid who played hockey another fancy school, and then some kind of some women a little older than me who had houses on them Tucket. So I got talking to them about you know, who I am, what I do, and they were absolutely fascinated by me, just like kind of sneaking onto the island and infiltrating you know, Belichick and Jordan. They loved it, So it was really fun to actually talk to people who appreciated it and didn't just think I was a scumbag.
Speaker 2: Did you tell them to listen to the podcast?
Speaker 1: You know what? I actually didn't. I really should have that. I completely forgot. I was just so caught up in my storytelling where we tell stories.
Speaker 2: If you're fascinated about that love Lovely, then you would love the podcast. Mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a grimsy on my part. Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm gonna speak for the listeners Jedi that there's numerous times that you tell these stories about what you're doing, and there are so many opportunities to give little hints and do little teeny pictures, little teeny videos. You don't have to reveal anything, just little mysteries, little little you know, teasers and stuff that are so there's so many opportunities you have to tease.
Speaker 1: I'm terrible and uh.
Speaker 2: You know, with control of the Instagram, you know, as I do. You know, everybody's my rookie lives. I'm kidding, they're not.
Speaker 1: I need to up my social game.
Speaker 2: You need to up your social game, you know. And like I said, I'm speaking for the listeners. So if the listeners want to tell Jedi go on to our DM tell him what you think, okay, because please do. It would have been cool to see like a beer at the at the bar, and then it would have been cool to see the fog below you. Where am I going now? Type of thing, you know would.
Speaker 1: Be it would be great next time. So I will up my game.
Speaker 2: Is it my turn?
Speaker 1: It is your son? Tell some stories.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been kind of busy. Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers, as everybody knows, is my old hero. He was my quarterback. I'm a Packer fan for those who didn't know. And any chance I get to work on Aaron Rodgers, I will do. I've probably talked about it a little bit on the podcast, but there was another job. You know. Obviously we're tasked to getting the wife. Everybody wants to know about the wife, okay, So going up to work on Aaron Rodgers is is kind of a chore. I think we've mentioned that on the podcast that going up there's kind of a pain in the ass. He lives in North North North Malibu. I went up there one day just kind of random. Every once in a while, I just, you know, feel ambitious to get up there, and he came out did the same thing that he always does, is go to the gym. You know, we're waiting. We're waiting to see this wife of his. I'll drone a little bit. I'll kind of look to see down on the beach. There's actually a a lounge chair set up in a bush that looks over his beach that somebody, another pap put in there to just sit and wait for him with. And if you look at the lounge chair around it a bunch of garbage, a bunch of cigarette butts. It's hilarious.
Speaker 1: To be honest, it's pretty funny. I mean, the guy should pick up his ship, but that's pretty funny that he set up a whole little base camp in a bush.
Speaker 2: Fucking savages, you know what I mean. I mean, what are you gonna do. There's a there's a picture of Aaron Rodgers, you know, flicking I posted it a couple of weeks ago, or a couple of days ago, of Aaron Rodgers flicking off the photographers that are up there. But this day I was working with another photographer that goes back to the old school days. It's the same photographer that I was having the conversation earlier about the business fall into the gym and I had an opportunity to set up and to get on video and do a TMZ style question. You know, when he came out of the gym. I'm a little intimidated when it comes to this because, if anybody knows my encounter with Roseanne Barr a couple of years ago, I'm very hesitant to go up and talk to anybody because for some reason, I come off a little aggressive. Maybe I don't know. I think I'm nice, but you know, I guess they don't, and I'm afraid of the conversation just going totally shitty. And Aaron Rodgers is one of those here where he used to be my hero, and I just don't want to piss him off. So you know, I sat there for an hour, hour and a half, two hours, almost three hours, and then decided right at the end that I was going to go talk to him. And right as I decided and I was going to reposition, he comes walking out and I was just too far away to do. But we got some pictures and he didn't have a ring on his finger. If anybody knows McManus, we were talking about if this story's true, if what's up at the store, and I was saying, I don't even think he's married. I think he's boys either.
Speaker 1: I think I think the same dude.
Speaker 2: I think he's playing around. I think he's lost his mind. I think he's done a little too many peyote trips and isolation chambers where he's just fucking with everybody. And when I when I droned his house and I saw that new dog that was out on his on his couch, I think that when he's talking about his wife, he's actually just picturing that dog. Not that he's in love with the dog, or he's married with the dogg or he but fuck's the dog. I'm just saying that, like, you know, he's probably picturing the dog, just going, oh my god, I'm talking about this girl. I'm talking about Brittany for Tanny or whatever it is, and uh, I'm just talking about my dog. And it's hilarious. So in the last interview he said that you know, she'll she'll come out when she wants to. She's it's all on her terms. All that. I still think it's bullshit. I think he's talking about the dog. Let that be known on the podcast, but we got some pictures of him coming out and it just looked like he was fucking with us the whole time. It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he knows you guys are up there, right, or he knows where the photographers sit up there. Yeah, Like, are you completely visible to him up there or is he like stick giving the finger without seeing you. He's just kind of guessing that you're there.
Speaker 2: It's completely visible. It's not like we're jumping around and we're like just we're still in a bush. Like the neighbors don't really know that we're there, but because there's no way unless they really knew we were there or something. But I don't even think they would stand for that kind of thing. But they he knows we're there, and if you just looked up to that spot, he would know. So if he sees any shooting, plus thes like these little kind of ripped holes in the fence and stuff where you can put your lens even if you don't want to sit in that lounge chair. But the whole thing is is hilarious. And you know, you pay thirty some odd million dollars for a fucking house in Malibu and you've got savages sitting in lounge chairs and the bushes above your house. It's kind of ridiculous. Had some info on a new Jennifer Garner movie, Nothing Big. She's playing a food influencer, which on her Instagram, on her social media she has a mock show called a it's called not a Cooking Show or something like that. I think maybe it kind of spun off that or whatever, but she kind of does it anyway. But she plays a food influencer and it was just a quick scene of her coming out of a building in LA and I think it's supposed to be in like New York or Chicago or something like that. Quick easy, Jennifer Garner looking great. You know when Carner comes out out of hair and makeup and she's just you know, looking great and stuff. There's just great pictures. Oh boys, didn't see him really go anywhere. Also had some info on a new Josh Brolin movie with Elizabeth Shoe. Was he in a movie with her where he plays And the info was down in Sam Pedro kind of where I was shooting the Rookie actually earlier, and it looked like it was gonna be all boat stuff. You know, they just they just show up there. The base camps there and stuff like that. But then they just go out on the docks and they take off on a boat all day. But the premise of the movie is a guy who is a diver goes out on a diving kind of expedition and he gets swallowed by a whale. That's kind of fun and it's a race against time before he runs out of air.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And if anybody knows that story, that story is technically Jediby Dick, Moby Dick. There you go. Boom. So Josh Brolin playing Captain Ahab. They got a few pictures of him while he was kind of heading out, you know, onto the boat. They were doing rehearsals for almost an hour before they even went out on the boat. Wow heeek out on the docks and you know, get a few frames of them there. But what was crazy about this Jedi's so typical. You know, I'm there, they go out on the boat, I'm waiting around. They come back for lunch. This is three or four hours later, right, this is almost four o'clock in the afternoon. They come back within ten minutes before the boat starts showing up, my competition shows up.
Speaker 1: Oh come on.
Speaker 2: Come on, right, So I mean they probably knew. I don't know, but it turned out to be non exclusive. But Josh Brolin, And it's funny because I got him getting on the boat. I had some frames. I sent him in. You know, him on this thing, No big deal. He comes off the boat, he's shirtless, covered in tattoos. So it's like that that's a guarantee right there. You know, it just sucks that it was non exclusive. But shot him coming in, shot him as he walked. But also shows the kind of inexperience of my competition. Josh Brolin comes by, covered in tattoo, shirtless, right, you get him coming down the barrel, do you stop there? No, no, you turn around and you get his back because you know he's got back tattoos as well, right exactly. Competition did not do that.
Speaker 1: They did not really.
Speaker 2: So I got a few pictures up there. I think I got three or four, and my competition I think got one.
Speaker 1: There you go, victory for Mark.
Speaker 2: And then I picked up a couple of day rates Jedi in the last few few days.
Speaker 1: Oh check you out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of them was Ditty's ceo the day of his trial, the day or the day of the verdict. Did he's verdict and we should probably touch on this if we can. But the day of his verdict, they wanted me to go and check out his old CEO of his company, Christine and a Quorum Korman. It was one of those where we didn't know anything, didn't know anything about her. There had been people working on her before, no luck, no joy. And it's one of those where you have to watch the residential valet as well as the parking, the underground parking coming out, so extremely difficult to watch. Everybody coming out. Everybody's coming out in tinted range, rovers, tinted Mercedes, tinted this into that, and Jedi. Every single woman who wasn't obviously sixty and up or the men that are sixty and up in this place, everything it must have been. It's a whole Armenian building. Everybody in there's Armenian. They're all that. And every single girl that came out of this place looked like her. You know, so you were you were in Glendale and in one way or another, well it must be called the Glendale. Yeah, it was just constant. Was that her go follow over within five miles, try and get her give up. Was that her, go follow go within five miles if she gets out, get a shot. Nope, not her. I think it's probably I think I counted sixteen lookalikes that was, you know, Oh my god, in the first day. And then the second day, I'm there early in the morning, around nine thirty, ten o'clock, somebody comes out, no tint, and I'm looking right at her, and I'm thinking, is that her? But my whole mindset is I've seen sixteen lookalikes. It's probably not her. She's probably not even around. I'm not even you know. But for some reason, you know, you get that feeling, you know, you get that kind of spidey tingle, you know, and you're like, okay, I gotta go after. She got two blocks down, and I'm like, okay, I gotta go after. Went after her, caught up to her. She drives all the way over to Hollywood and then ends up getting out. I get a few frames. We decide that it is her, but we still don't know for sure. They call a reporter in Goldie shows up. I mean in the nick of time, you know, because she's got to come across town in the nick of time she gets there. Christina ends up going up to get a smoothie so that the reporter has time to go up there confirm. And the way she confirmed was walking up and just sitting next to them as they were drinking their smoothies, and she was just yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yap, yap, diddy, this diddy, that diddy. This did he? That did you. That's how she confirmed. And then obviously came down and then we waited by the car where she could approach and I can get some photos and it was one of those hero moments you know, where you know it all worked out in the end. Everybody was happy. The outlet's happy. Yes, exactly next day, I'm on for another outlet and I'm working on the Karen Reid lawyer.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Trying to get some photos of him. On four the July, right show up there early nothing, nothing, guy comes out. He goes to some random car. Because this guy's known to be driving like expensive beamers. He's got a nice house, he's got tons of money. The story at the moment was they've just signed some deal to like to write a script for the whole story about what's what's happening, like a movie script. They're looking to cash in on that. And this guy comes out and he goes out to like some like like VW. Tigwan or something like that. Random. And I didn't think the guy was there. I thought he was out of town and this is just a neighbor that was taking care of the house. You know. As I go over, I take a few pictures. I look at the guy. It's the guy, right, So I wait. Car comes out full of people can't see because of tint, and I'm trying to kind of like be DISCREETE follow the car from I don't know, probably almost twenty miles okay, high speed too, Like I thought they knew. I was on him in and out of the car pool lane down the two ten just I mean, just crazy, crazy driving, you know. I pull up alongside of him. Towards the end, I see it's just all girls in the car. I'm like, he's not in the back at the car, but I keep following. Anyway. They go to some horse stable and a bunch of girls get out of the car right and they've got a saddle and they're obviously going to do some riding, you know. Yeah, fuck, turn back around, drive all the way back to the fucking house. I think the guy's gone by then, you know, of course, git their wait. I'm waiting all day long. This is Fourth of July too. I want to get out of there. I want to be able to get down and at least get to see fireworks with my family.
Speaker 1: You know, So you want your burger and your hot dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so superate our Mexican food, so super late in the day, I look over and I see a guy hanging out in the driveway. Not him, It's just a guy hanging out on the driveway. So I actually pull by the house and I see the lawyer getting into some old classic Cobra convertible Cobra firing it up. He fires it up and revs the engine, and there's a buddy that's waiting for him to pull out of the garage and then hop in the passage sheet. They're going for a cruise, you know. In that case, I'm like, I got to get to the end of the street just to get him come, you know, in the car, driving the car. I get it. But then I'm like, now I got to get some video. So I get down to the bottom of the street, red light, and I'm like, there's no way I'm going to keep up with this guy. Right, he goes two blocks down, pulls a new gas station.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yes, oh perfect.
Speaker 2: So get pictures, get video, get him, you know, driving out of the gas station, all that stuff. He turns, he goes down a little back road and you know where his house is. I don't really know this area that much, so I don't know where he's gonna go or what he's gonna do. And he's in this car where he wants to go for a cruise, so he knows the cruising roads, you know. Yeah, So he turns off, goes down this back road, disappears. I drive about three miles. I finally catch up to him to a light. Right I catch up to him, I'm like, okay, just gonna do a little bit of video. It's from behind, and he just takes off in this thing and it's a downhill like straight away and you just see him just bone out. Just who I am exactly. I come out. I'm behind a couple of cars, but I finally get you know, maneuver my way out. I can't see him, can't anything, get to the next light, nothing, next light, nothing, that's he's gone, completely gone. So there's nothing I could do at that point. But I did get some good pictures, did get some decent video, and then that was it. You know, just in time.
Speaker 1: Had they run yet?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, you think I do want to get that up pretty fucking quick.
Speaker 1: Well, they're waiting for I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, probably can't release this episode until they do. But that's it. That's it for me. And then today I had another day ray, but or yesterday I had another day ray but didn't work out. That's stuff for future, another future time. And then had a little bit of a rookie today and that was it. I wanted to get into one thing Jedi before we go. I mean, obviously there's some what you're watching. I've seen a lot of stuff lately. Honestly, I've been doing summer movies. I've been doing everything. But I'm gonna bring up one, okay, because it's a subject and what you're watching all in one Okay, Okay, Is there anything, by the way you've seen lately? Yeah, So Charlie's Thearren is in a show called the Old Guard too. Okay, so Netflix movie Old Guard one came out a few years ago, decent movie, decent action. It's Charlie's kicking ass. You know, I don't mind seeing that ever.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Old Guard two comes out, and Charlie's goes on to you know, one of those bigger podcasts that is far less interesting than ours, which is Call Her Daddy podcast. Okay, yeah, call him daddy, Call her Daddy. You know, the one that Kamala was on during the during the election time. Yeah, and you know, I hear this is one of the biggest podcasts out there. You know, it's pretty great next to Joe Rogan. But Charlie's is on there, and she I've come to realize that this podcast is totally fucking fake. You know, like, if you're going to go on to this podcast, you're obviously instructed, Oh hey, be hip, you know, to say what you want. We're talking about sex, so if you want to bring up stuff stuff like that, you know, but do what you want. Charlie's is on there, and she's you know, I've just listened to clips. I haven't really listened to the whole thing, but she's on there, and you know she's f bombing right and left, fuck this, fuck that. Oh you know, you know, I have fucking orgasms still. Oh my daughter doesn't need a man, just constantly f bomb this, f bomb that. And I'm like, jeez, Charlie's man. I mean, so I heard these interviews before I watched the Old Guard. Just watch the Old Guard one again just to kind of get, you know, warmed up to the new one. So I'm listening to her talk about this, and she's on there going, oh, yeah, you know, I just went out the other night, you know, and I took this twenty six year old home and fucked the shit out of them. And the girls out there, you know, need to understand that. You know, you need to go get yourself. Fucking fuck boy. This guy was so I had so many fucking orgasms. Oh my god, this fucking twenty six year old fucking oh my god. He blew my fucking mind. Everything she talked about for her daughter, you know, her daughter's trans or something like that. You know, she adopted some kids and you know she's calling them trans and they think they're trands. Are a little too young I think for that to understand and She's talking about fucking these twenty six year olds and her fucking orgasms and all.
Speaker 1: The fucking Oh Jesus Christ and.
Speaker 2: I when I saw The Old Guard Too, I just started imagining her interview during the movie, and it ruined the movie for me. Jedi, you know, I keep looking at her and I'm seeing her fighting, and she's in there with Uma Thurman, you know, Uma Thurman is her is her nemesis or the villain in the show. In the movie, and they have a big fight scene in the end, which was okay, up for a third one, but you would think Charlie's and Uma Thurman. I was really getting excited about that team up, and I was really getting excited about that fight, but all I could think about was Charlie's talking about her fucking twenty six year olds, and it just kind of ruined the movie for me. Wow, it's kind of a bummer. And I would say, go see go see the Old Guard too, just because it continues from the old one. If you like the old one, you'll like this new one. We've just got a few minutes left and I wanted to touch on one more. I texted you to watch Sirens.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forget about that.
Speaker 2: So you didn't watch it.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch it yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, you know we made the prediction of Sidney Sweeney, did we not?
Speaker 1: Absolutely we made her career.
Speaker 2: You made her career. It had nothing to do with her with her chest right.
Speaker 1: No, nothing the toy so her acting ability.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you go this, the listeners go back and they want to listen to the next Big Thing. It's one of our old podcasts. We called Sidney Sweeney the next big thing because of you just see something, you know when you're in our job. I mean, we were working on Jennifer Lawrence before anybody else. Jedi was working on Sidney Sweeney before anybody else. And you just see these people and you see you can make that prediction. Well, in Sirens, there's this there's this actor. Her name is Millie Alcock. But she gave me the same feeling Jedi.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I remember you saying.
Speaker 2: But she's got that meaniness and I am calling her the next big thing.
Speaker 1: She's got the Sweeney fact.
Speaker 2: So huh, She's got the Sweeny factor. She's got some sweeniness to her, and you know it's kind of like swagger. Sweeney swagger, right.
Speaker 1: The Sweeney swagger. She's Australian.
Speaker 2: She's Australian, yes, and you know as I because I hadn't seen her anything else. Supposedly she was in House of Dragons, Out of Dragons, Supposedly she was in that. I never saw her in that, but I did see her in Sirens. I felt the sweeniness, the Sweeney swagger, right. And then when I looked into her IMDb and I looked up what she's about to do, she's she's gonna be in the new Superman movie and she's going to be Supergirl.
Speaker 4: I mean, I heard terrible things about that Superman movie.
Speaker 2: I heard terrible things too, but it did get a ninety five by the people on Rotten Tomatoes, which I think is all bought and paid for. But she's going to be Supergirl in the news. She shall obviously be introduced, probably as a small part in that thing. But she also has a standalone movie coming out that she's going to be shooting where she is going to be Supergirl in her own standalone movie. And that's that is the next big thing type of movement, you know what I mean? Absolutely, so I am calling it right now. Jedi that Millie Allcock is going to be the next big thing.
Speaker 4: Wow, super Girl coming out twenty twenty six. Post production at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, post production is I would have said.
Speaker 1: It says post production.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's already shot it.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited. I'm excited to see if you know, the PBC can predict another huge star.
Speaker 1: I think so right two for two, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But we touched on about three quarters of the things I wanted to talk about. But there's a little bit more that I wanted to touch on and we're going to have to get that in the next one.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, mate. Yeah, I'm about ready for bed.
Speaker 4: I've crawled into bed listeners, I've left the desk of my hotel room, and I'm currently very close to closing my eyes.
Speaker 2: What a world we live in that you could just lay down and do a podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it all right.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, let's wrap it up. And if we have offended anybody on this episode, we do apologize, but for myself and for Jedi who take care you will.
Speaker 1: Sitting in the bed is giving me no energy, so I jump off a wedding.
Speaker 2: Alcock Alcock