Speaker 1: Welcome to the Deep Dive. We're the show where we tackle a big pile of source material.
Speaker 2: And we boil it all down for you, pulling out the key insights you need to.
Speaker 1: Know, basically saving you the reading time but giving you the knowledge exactly. And today we are diving into something pretty hands on excerpts from the Sendos six Linux Server cookbook. Think of it like a set of technical recipes.
Speaker 2: Right for getting a Linux server, specifically Cento six running and managed properly.
Speaker 1: So our mission, our goal for this deep dive is to unpack the core tasks, the fundamental knowledge from these excerpts.
Speaker 2: We want to pull out those key recipes that solve the common problems you'd face administering a CentOS six box. See what makes this guide useful and you spot the really interesting bits.
Speaker 1: It's like getting the chef's notes for building and running a server. Now. It is technical, no doubt about it, but we're going to translate the important stuff, highlight the core steps. Whether you're just curious about servers, or maybe you need to get up to speed quickly for work.
Speaker 2: Or you just want to understand those basic build of blocks.
Speaker 1: Right, let's dive in.
Speaker 2: Okay, so where better to start than the beginning installation.
Speaker 1: The source kicks off right there, and even before the actual install, it highlights something simple but easy to forget. Checking your installation media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, verifying the integrity using the MT five some tool. It mentions, it's like you wouldn't start cooking with ingredients you weren't sure we're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good point. Okay, so you've verified the download during the install itself. What are the key checkpoints?
Speaker 2: Well, the source stress is setting a proper host name. Don't leave it as localhost dot local domain.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that default is pretty useless on a network.
Speaker 2: Totally give it a real name early. Also, confirming your hard disk partitioning storage setup is fundamental.
Speaker 1: Get that wrong and you're in for a headache later.
Speaker 2: Definitely. And it touches on Grub the bootloader. Now, messing deeply with Grub can be tricky even for experienced people. Yeah right, but the book points out you can password protect Grub during installation. That's a nice little security win.
Speaker 1: Right at the start, the source seems to really push for a minimal install Why go minimal when there are those package groups you can just select?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a core philosophy here It boils down to efficiency and really security security. How a minimal install gives you only the absolute bear essentials. The idea is it's much safer to add only what you need later, configuring it carefully as you go, instead.
Speaker 1: Of starting with a bunch of stuff you might not need, which could have vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you reduce the initial attack surface. Fewer running services means fewer potential ways in for an attacker, makes sense.
Speaker 1: Less is more security wise? Okay, Minimal installed done? What are the first basic config steps.
Speaker 2: Post install essentials? The book hits things like changing the time zone use the subtle it command, then make it stick in your profile files like dot bash profile.
Speaker 1: You can use location names or the post six format like GMT five YEP.
Speaker 2: Both options are covered and related to time. Synchronizing the system clock with NTP, the Network Time Protocol.
Speaker 1: Crucial for logs security, lots of things rely on accurate time totally.
Speaker 2: You'd use the NTPD service, configure it in EXITCNTP dot com and you can check sync status with NTPPP.
Speaker 1: But NTP isn't there by default on a minimal install.
Speaker 2: Good point. The source notes that you'll need to yum install NTP.
Speaker 1: First, all right, networking the absolute backbone, setting a static IP address versus just letting DHP assign one.
Speaker 2: This is a key recipe for any server. The book shows editing the interface can fig like if cfg eth zero. Oh. The crucial bit is telling network manager to keep its hands off by setting NM controlled no.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, so you explicitly take control, right.
Speaker 2: Then you set boot proto none and manually put in your IPADR netmask and your gateway and epsconfit network predictable fixed address essential for a server.
Speaker 1: Got it? And then there's this thing called channel bonding Ethernet bonding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's about combining multiple network interfaces like two Ethernet ports into one logical interface.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Two main reasons redundancy If one cable or port fails, the other keeps working, or increased throughput, potentially doubling your bandwidth.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the source gives the setup steps.
Speaker 2: It gives the basics for creating the bond interface config ifcfg bond zero and loading the bonding kernel module. It sets remodprobe dot de bonding dot com. It mentions master and slave interfaces and that you might need to experiment with different bonding modes depending on your network switch and what you need.
Speaker 1: Sounds like something you need to test carefully. It also covers setting the fully qualified domain name FQDN yeah.
Speaker 2: Your server's full name on the network host name plus domain name. The book shows you edicisconfin network and echosts, and it throws in a reminder about valid characters and length for host names. Easy details to miss.
Speaker 1: Cylenex comes up next. Security Enhanced Linux big topic.
Speaker 2: It is very powerful mandatory access control system. The source introduces its purpose and shows how you can change its mode enforcing, permissive or disabled by editing.
Speaker 1: It sesses stanicfig but it also mentions reasons why you might disable it seems counterintuitive for security.
Speaker 2: Well, it acknowledges reality. Sometimes certain applications or say web hosting control panels, just don't work properly with the Linux enforcing rules. So while disabling it is a definite security hit, the book lists as an option if compatibility is a major roadblock, it's a tradeoff.
Speaker 1: Another potential tradeoff mentioned is disabling IPv six.
Speaker 2: Why IPv six is the future designed to fix IPv four running out of addresses, But as the source notes, maybe your network doesn't use it yet, or some services aren't fully compatible.
Speaker 1: So disabling it could simplify.
Speaker 2: Things potentially, yeah, maybe slightly. Less admin overhead removes one theoretical attack vector if it's unused. The book shows the configure edits IPv six il mit no IPv six io connecto no, but it clearly warns don't do this if you might need IP. Turning it back on isn't always straightforward.
Speaker 1: Right, another careful decision. Okay, that covers the initial install on basic setup. What about the day to day running of the server, users, packages, logs, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: User management is first, and the big rule the source emphasizes, don't operate as the route user all the time, standard.
Speaker 1: Security practice, right, Create a regular admin.
Speaker 2: User exactly, use user AD and password. Then the book clarifies the difference between Sue and Pseudo. Very important distinction.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sue lets you become another user, including root if you know their password, full power.
Speaker 2: Right, whereas Pseudo leads a permitted user run specific commands with root privileges using their own password.
Speaker 1: And crucially, Pseudo logs everything.
Speaker 2: Audit trail precisely. Pseudo is much more granular and safer the source shows how you can restrict SUE access just to members of the wheel group by editing at setsepam dot DSU, and it points out that Pseudo isn't configured by default on Cento as six, so you actually have to set it up.
Speaker 1: Which you do using the pseudo to safely edit itt setus suitors an. These specific pseudo security tips highlighted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it mentioned setting a timestamp come out so your pseudo authentication expires after a while, and setting required you which forces pseudo commands to be run from a proper terminal.
Speaker 1: Session ah, so not easily run from automated scripts or weird context exactly.
Speaker 2: Good protection. And it shows how to send all pseudologs to a dedicated file like varlog pseudo dot log for easier auditing.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Then package management YUM the definitive package manager for CentOS six, the book.
Speaker 2: Says, and the beauty of Yum, which the source highlights is dependency resolution. You say YUM install something, and it figures out everything else that something needs and installs it all automatically.
Speaker 1: Takes a lot of the headache out of managing software, so updates are just YUM update.
Speaker 2: YEP and The source notes you usually don't need a full reboot after updates, though maybe restart specific services.
Speaker 1: Practical tip and cleaning the package cash with YUM clean all right.
Speaker 2: And automating updates using yumcron you can figure it, schedule at this confidgium cron, set it and forget it.
Speaker 1: Mostly automating maintenance is key. What about removing packages with yum remove any warnings there?
Speaker 2: Big warning? Always always read the list of packages Yum says it's going to remove, along with the one you asked for. Check those dependencies.
Speaker 1: You could acidentally rip out something critical.
Speaker 2: Easily, so pay attention to that summary before you hit you Good.
Speaker 1: Advice Finding packages uses yem search or yum list. What about yem.
Speaker 2: Provide ah Yum provides a super handy If you need a specific file or command, say easer bint pass would, but don't know which package it belongs to, you can do Yum provides us a spin pess wood and yum will tell you which package to install.
Speaker 1: Nice trick. The source also talks about adding extra repositories like epel or remy.
Speaker 2: Why do that because the defaults intos repositories are stable but sometimes conservative These third party repos like EPEL extra packages for enterprise Linux offer a much wider selection of software, often newer versions.
Speaker 1: But there's a catch. Conflicts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, potential conflicts. Two different repos might offer the same package, maybe different versions or built differently. This can cause problems.
Speaker 1: And the solution is that YUM plug in priorities package.
Speaker 2: That's the recommended way. You install that plug in. Then you edit the dot repo files in SCM dot repos dot D. For each repo you add a priority n line. Lower number means higher priority, so.
Speaker 1: You tell YUM check CentOS official first priority one, then EPEL Priority ten, then maybe remy priority twenty exactly.
Speaker 2: It helps YUM make sensible choices when there's overlap. You can also enable or disable repos entirely in those files with enabled one or zero.
Speaker 1: Okay. Moving to logs dot log Rotate essential The sources absolutely essential.
Speaker 2: Log files grow and grow Without rotation, they'd fill your disk and become useless. Log Rotate automates managing them.
Speaker 1: How does it work?
Speaker 2: It usually runs daily via cron. It checks its main config at a clog rotate dot com half and more importantly, the specific canfig files for different services in a cloak rotate dot D based on the rules in those.
Speaker 1: Files like how many old logs to keep?
Speaker 2: Yeah, things like rotate in keep in old logs, compress, zip up old logs size x, rotator if it hits size x. Note of empty, don't rotate a empty create make a new empty log file after moving the old one. And poster tate lets you run a command like telling a service to reopen its log file.
Speaker 1: Being able to rotate based on size not just time sounds useful for noisy service.
Speaker 2: Very practical, yes.
Speaker 1: Lastpit on core operations, dot memory checking usage and clear in the cash.
Speaker 2: Right free, MRM and TOP are your go two tools. The book explains the free output, pointing out that the line showing plus buffers cash gives you a better idea of memory actually available.
Speaker 1: To applications because Linux uses free RAM for disc cacheing.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which is good for performance. But sometimes you might want to see that cash cleared. The source gives the command sink first then echo three proxis VM drop caches?
Speaker 1: Is that risky?
Speaker 2: The book says it's generally safe, but it's not something to do Routinely. Clearing the cash means the system might have to reread stuff from disc immediately after, which can spike IO and CPU temporarily. Use it if you have a specific reason.
Speaker 1: And like updates. You can automate this cash clearing with crime yep.
Speaker 2: Put those commands in a script, schedule it with corontab e. Another maintenance recipe.
Speaker 1: Okay, solid foundation. Now security hardening before we even think about web servers or databases absolutely critical.
Speaker 2: The source spends good time here starting with SSH secure shell. The main way in remotely.
Speaker 1: Needs locking down. First step recommended.
Speaker 2: Deny root log in directly, set permit root log in no and ed centris config force logins as a normal user. Then use Pseudo much safer makes sense.
Speaker 1: Changing the default port away from twenty two.
Speaker 2: Also recommended change the port xxx line. It won't stop a determined attacker, but it cuts down hugely on automated bots. Hammering port twenty.
Speaker 1: Two easy win. What else for us is H.
Speaker 2: Limit who can log in, use allow users or allow groups, and should config to specify exactly which users are groups are allowed SSH access, restrict the entry points right and maybe add a warning banner using banner et ceter mud and show the last log in time with print last log yes, remind users document access and always service first restart after changes.
Speaker 1: Okay beyond SSH the firewall ip.
Speaker 2: Tables installed by default on CentOS six powerful chain base filtering. The book guides through setting.
Speaker 1: Up rules, starting with allowing in central traffic yeah like.
Speaker 2: Loop back traffic for the server to talk to itself, I aload, maybe traffic from specific trusted ips manas for source, oilers D for destination, and crucially allowing established connections m state's late establish related so ongoing traffic works.
Speaker 1: And then opening specific ports for your services TCB twenty two for SSH, eight ERROOHO four four.
Speaker 2: Three for web exactly you poke holes only for what you need, TCP port fifty three, UDP fifty three for DNS, TCP twenty five for SMTP mail, UDP one twenty three for MTP and so.
Speaker 1: On, and the most important principle.
Speaker 2: Set the default policy to drop iptable's dash P input, drop fiptible dash P fourward drop, deny everything unless explicitly allowed, the secure default and save the rules.
Speaker 1: The service syptables save makes them permanent across reboots. Service Emptable's restart applies changes now. The book also shows simple rules to specifically allow or block certain IP addresses.
Speaker 2: What about automating defense against attacks? Fail to ban into my hosts great tools?
Speaker 1: Fail to ban is really versatile. It watches log files, not just SSH but others too, for patterns like repeated failed logins and then what when it sees too many failures from one IP, automatically adds an IP tables rule to block that IP for a while.
Speaker 2: Wow active defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can figure it in jail dot com set things like ban time, how long the block lasts, and max freetree how many failures trigger the ban. Can also send email alerts. SSH is usually covered by default, and deny hosts is.
Speaker 2: It similar similar, but specifically focused on SSH dictionary attacks. It also watches logs, blocks ips. The source says it's simpler, smaller footprint. Can figure it in deny hosts dot cfg. Mainly just setting your email, but it warns be careful not to block your own IP.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, that would be. Lastly, on security, anti virus clam av right.
Speaker 2: Linux servers aren't immune to hosting or passing on malware, even if they don't run typical Windows viruses, so scanning is wise. Clam scan is the.
Speaker 1: Command and the source gives a script to automate scanning certain directories.
Speaker 2: Yep, clamaf dotsh example, log the results and you'd schedule that script with Karan automating security checks.
Speaker 1: Okay, foundations laid, system hardened. Now let's look at setting up the actual server roles databases. First, my squall and Postgres.
Speaker 2: Scool common requirements for my squel. The source covers the install YUMP install my skull server, making sure it starts on boot and can fig my squold on and starting it serves my squoiled start. Then a critical next step my.
Speaker 1: School secure installation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, don't skip the script, the book explains. It walks you through setting the root password, removing anonymous users, blocking remote root log in, removing test databases, essential hardening, and.
Speaker 1: Then creating databases and users from the mychocal command line.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's show the sequel. Create database dB name, create user at host identified by password, and grant privileges on dB name to user at host.
Speaker 1: Granting specific permissions, not just giving everyone full.
Speaker 2: Access exactly, and importantly, run flush privileges to apply those grants without restarting my school.
Speaker 1: What about postgres School? Similar process?
Speaker 2: Pretty similar? Start install the packages POSTGRESCOO server Postgres school contrib, initialize the database cluster service Postgres school in and at BB, enable and start the service. Then use preachers and created bataka commands and interact with PCL.
Speaker 1: How does remote access work for Postgres School's different from my squel's user grants? Right?
Speaker 2: Yes, it uses a host based authentication system. You can figure it in the PGHPA dot com file. The book shows how to edit this file to allow connections from certain IP addresses or networks postlines and specify the authentication method often MD five for password encryption.
Speaker 1: Got it okay? Switching to email post Fix and DOFCOT.
Speaker 2: The standard combo Postfix is the MTA, the Mail Transport Agent. It handles the sending and receiving between servers.
Speaker 1: Configure it in main dot CF to handle mail for your domain.
Speaker 2: Right, set interior faces all to listen on all network interfaces. Define your domains in my destination and.
Speaker 1: The book has that cool talent trick for testing SMTP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, connect to port twenty five using telnet and manually type SMTT commands like all mail from dot RCPT two dot data. Great way to check if postfix is alive and responding correctly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Postfix moves the mail Dovecot lets users access it exactly.
Speaker 2: Dovecot provides the IMP and pop three services that email clients connect to install it. You installed dovecot enable it. Configuration is in dovecot dot CF and its confaft dot.
Speaker 1: D directory key Dovecot settings mentioned.
Speaker 2: Enabling protocols, protocols, map pop three, setting the mail location, mail location, mail dear, and interestingly for basic local user setups, allowing plaintext authentication disable plaintextos as you.
Speaker 1: Know, plan text passwords.
Speaker 2: Isn't that bad over the open Internet? Yes, absolutely, but the context here seems to imply for local clients or scenarios where maybe TLS is enforced. Elsewhere, It's another one of those configuration choices with security implications depending on.
Speaker 1: Your setup, and Postfix needs to use dovecot to check passwords when users try to send mail SMTPAUA.
Speaker 2: Correct you set up SASL authentication in postfixes main dot CF, telling it to use dovecot via settings like SMTPD, sysyl type, SMTP, saslpath SMTPD and solventable.
Speaker 1: The book also touches on basic spam filtering in Postfix yes.
Speaker 2: Using header checks and body checks to define rules that match patterns and email headers or content to block or flag spam.
Speaker 1: Very practical. What about handling multiple domains on one server virtual domains?
Speaker 2: This is a really common need. The source shows how to set this up efficiently. You list your extra domains in virtualace domains in main dot CF. Then you create a mapping file, usually et cetera, a postfix virtual.
Speaker 1: And in that file you list email addresses and the system user they map too, like sales at otherdomain dot com on real user one exactly.
Speaker 2: Then you run postmap etc postfix virtual to create a database file. Postfix can read quickly, and you tell postfix where that map is using virtual as maps equals hash dot ECC postfix virtual. The book notes you can handle tons of domains this way.
Speaker 1: Can you even set up catch all addresses.
Speaker 2: Yep at domain dot com catchallser simple aliases for system users go in achiliuses, then run nualliuses.
Speaker 1: And tools for sending mail from the command line mail.
Speaker 2: X or MUTT standard tools. MUD is mentioned for handling attachments and forwarding roots mail using a rude dot forward file. All essential mail admin tasks.
Speaker 1: Okay onto the web server a patchegtpd, the.
Speaker 2: Classic install HTTPD, maybe mod Perl, definitely the PHP package for Php support. Configure the basics in httpd dot com.
Speaker 1: How do you make sure a patchee serves Php files.
Speaker 2: Add index dot php to the directory index directive in hgtpd dot com. That tells a patchy to look for index dot php as a default page in a directory. And the book suggests creating a quick phpinfo dot php file in your web root forw optimilo just to test PHP is working.
Speaker 1: Securities paramount for web SSL https absolutely.
Speaker 2: The source shows how to create a self signed certificate using OpenSSL. You install modsel first.
Speaker 1: This is it for public sites, right, browsers won't trust it.
Speaker 2: Correct, you'd get a cert from a proper certificate authority for a public site. But this recipe shows the process of generating the private key and the certificate file opensell rec.
Speaker 1: Asking for country Org and the crucial common name your server's domain or IP exactly.
Speaker 2: Then you can figure apaches ssl dot com file, telling it where the certificate SSL certificate file and private key SSL certificate keyfile are, and a vital step crab mod four hundred on those keysert files. So only root can read them protect that private key.
Speaker 1: What about user directories that username url style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, modu thirdter comment on shirt hosting, you uncommon this line and httpd dot com to include conf dot do ser dot com, then potentially edit that file. The book even includes a troubleshooting tip about suxx sometimes causing issues and how to find and maybe temporarily disable it if needed. Very practical detail.
Speaker 1: And the big one for hosting multiple sites. Name based virtual hosts fundamental.
Speaker 2: Let's want a patche server on one IP address handle many different websites. You tell apatche and httpd dot com to include config files from say, httpdv hosts dot.
Speaker 1: E, and then create a dot com file in there for each website.
Speaker 2: Right inside each file's virtual host block, you set things like server admin, email, server name, the main domain server alias like www dot domain dot com, document root where the site's files live, and separate airlog and custom log files for that specific site. It's the blueprint for multi site hosting.
Speaker 1: Just need to put an index dot html or index php in that document root exactly. Last server role FTP with vs FTP.
Speaker 2: Very secure FTP dayman. The source praises it as fast light and secure install ym install, VSFTPD enable start.
Speaker 1: Basic config and VSFTPD dot com key settings.
Speaker 2: Turn off anonymous access a non emositable no, allow local system users, local YenS, allow uploads, writenable yes, and maybe enable ask moode for text file transfers.
Speaker 1: Security is always a worry with FTP.
Speaker 2: Crew essential set cruit local looser Yes. This locks users into their home directory so they can't wander around the server file system.
Speaker 1: Can you make exceptions.
Speaker 2: Yes, use crute listenable yess and define a fove cruitless file atcvs ftpdcruit list listing users who shouldn't be cruited.
Speaker 1: Managing logins uses ftpsers denied users and user list denied or allowed depending on user lists deny and you can customize the log in banner message standard stuff.
Speaker 2: Secure connections via ssltls are also covered.
Speaker 1: Similar to a patchy enable it point to this. Certain key files.
Speaker 2: YEP sleainable, YZS, VARSUS cert file, RSITE private key file encrypts the login and data transfer much safer than plain FTP.
Speaker 1: What about virtual users users not tied to system accounts?
Speaker 2: Very useful feature. The book shows the recipe set up a pamcnfig file for VSFTPD create a sex file with usernames and passwords logins dot txd hash it into a database dpload dot logins dot dB then tell VSFTPD in its config to use this database. Guestable wise map guests to a system. User guests user name of Peter point to the database user BPAs flever way.
Speaker 1: To manage lots of FTP only accounts. Other VSFTP tips.
Speaker 2: Hiding user group IDs, hides ye ss, allowing anonymous uploads securely by changing ownership chowne uploads, yuss chry to use her name, disabling recursive listings, also recursible to save resources and setting idle timeouts, Lots of practical config options.
Speaker 1: Okay. That covers the main technical recipes. The source also briefly mentions the book's reviewers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to give context, people from e commerce, government, IT, universities, tech QA folks like Ugo, Belevance, bin Wa, Benedetti, Frank Lemon real world experience behind these recipes, and.
Speaker 1: They apparently share an appreciation for open source fitting for.
Speaker 2: Sentas definitely and it mentions packed publishings focus on specific tech, their online library and an open source royalty scheme. Tying it back to that open source ethos, so quite.
Speaker 1: A detailed journey through send US six server admin.
Speaker 2: Via these excerpts, we really covered the life cycle, didn't we From install and basic config.
Speaker 1: Through daily ops, users, packages, logs, memory.
Speaker 2: Critical security, hardening, sship tables, fail.
Speaker 1: To ban, and then setting up the workhorses databases, mail, web FTP.
Speaker 2: This deep dive really pulled out those practical step by step guides the recipes you'd need for common Center six tasks. It's a good shortcut to understanding these components, and hopefully for.
Speaker 1: You listening, understanding these commanding and fig files gives you a sense of power, the ability to build secure many of these environments, or just understand them better.
Speaker 2: It demystifies a lot of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's a final thought to leave you with. We saw repeatedly with things like root log in, Selenix choices, plaintext off for local mail, disabling IPv six many recipes involved explicit trade offs convenience versus security.
Speaker 2: Usually HM that came up a lot.
Speaker 1: What does this constant need to make? These balancing acts tell us about the fundamental challenge of server administration keeping things working smoothly while also keeping them safe. It seems like a perpetual tightrope walk.
Speaker 2: Definitely something to chew on as you deal with servers in the real world.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us with a deep dive. Hope this was useful for you