Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapist Podcast. My name is Gamiferson. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. Hello.
Speaker 2: Everyone, We're delighted to be guest hosts for this Trauma Therapist podcast. We want to thank Guy for inviting us to take part in this series. I'm Anna White and I'm here with my professional partner, clinical psychologist, doctor Corey Glead. Corey and I started a mental health project four years ago. It's called the Type see Personality. And this is actually the third time we've been on this particular podcast, the first time as guests and this is our second time as guest hosts.
Speaker 3: So for those listeners who don't know about the Type See project, Type CEE is a personality that is defined by an extreme need to please other people. Sorry, let me start that over because something okay. For those listeners who don't know about Type C, it's a personality defined by an extreme need to please other people, having extreme difficulty in feeling like you're worried about disappointing or letting other people down.
Speaker 4: Type sees avoid.
Speaker 3: Conflict at all costs and often feel disconnected from their emotions.
Speaker 4: They suppress a lot.
Speaker 3: Usually there were some dark forces in childhood that created type se trace. Often it was from some form of emotional, physical, or sexual abuse. Something bad happened in some way that led type cs to believe that their needs didn't matter and don't matter, that they really are lesser than This could have been outright physical abuse. There was a lot of ways that this can develop.
Speaker 2: So we've explored a lot of these type see roots on our own podcasts that today we're going to talk about sexual abuse and we are excited to have Elizabeth Clements as our guest. She is an expert on this topic. A little bit about Elizabeth. She wears a lot of different hats. She is a mediator, a conflict resolution trainer, and a shaman, which is how I was first introduced to her. Today, we're going to talk about an organization that she founded is called Hidden Water. It's a nonprofit and it uses a restorative justice model to work through child sexual abuse and the conflict that results in families.
Speaker 3: So this is obviously a very heavy and difficult topic, but we really feel it's a very important one. So we just want to caution anyone who has been a victim of any childhood physical or sexual abuse that this episode could be a bit triggering, but we hope you'll stick around because we do think that it's very important. So, first and foremost, thank you so much Elizabeth for coming on the podcast together our guests. We are are very happy to have you here today. So we wanted to talk briefly. We wanted to just talk about about hidden water. What is it, how does it work, and what led you to found it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you for having me. I really appreciate it. I found it. So I was running the community mediation center in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and we would get lots and lots of cases where you know, neighbor disputes or family disputes or you know, maybe even criminal disputes. Hous it certainly housing conflicts, and so often we would get to the bottom, you know, get into the conflict, the concrete part, and if you stayed in it long enough, you'd kind of come upon a child sexual abuse situation from maybe decades earlier. But that how that dynamic from way back having been unaddressed, was causing current day conflicts among the adults, and I realized, you know, sometimes we would have very direct conflicts about that, you know, foster mom and the kid against the mom who was harmed by the stepdad kind of thing. But a lot of times it was just housing disputes, you know, our you know, financial disputes or different types of things. And so that I realized this is not a great venue for discussing that in this mediation that's supposedly about this sort of concrete issue, but really all this stuff was underneath it, and a different concrete issue would just keep emerging, you know, because you're not really addressing the underneath. So that is what led me to look for a different process that would be able to actually directly address the child sexual abuse history, and oftentimes families have generations of that, and so I found Restorative Justice and started Hidden Water in you know, our first circles were in two thousand and six, and we started to see that, you know, I started to realize even in the mediation that like one person against the other is not a great way to address this because it's actually a systemic issue. Often you know, either in the family on the family level or in the community level, and you can't really address it, you know, just letting those concrete conflicts bubble to the surface. You have to really get under it, and you can't do it the way the court does it, like this person against that person, because you're not really getting to the impact that happens to all people, whether you're the offender or the victim. All the people that are sort of in the blast radius I sometimes say, are impacted, you know, indirectly, but impacted, and they also perpetuate the dynamic going forward.
Speaker 2: Are people willing to participate in this process? It seems like the victim, of course, would want to be able to address these issues, but the perpetrate or I would think, would have a really hard time coming to the table, and maybe the other people that enabled it. So can you just maybe talk a little bit about that and how you can get everybody involved?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: So, we initially, or at least my idea initially was to bring the whole family together, but then we realized that so much work, internal work has to be done before you're even going to be able to have a conversation inside the family system. That that sort of next level, that's like the advanced glass, and so we set up circles for people who were harmed under the age of twenty five, people who cause harm to someone under the age of twenty five, the non offending caregivers or parents, and then the other people other loved ones, which are usually spouses, you know, who weren't around when it happened, but they're certainly in the blast radius. Now other siblings who may not have been harmed, or adult children who are being impacted by their parents not having dealt with us. So we have these four different groups do circles with them alone so that they get the support and they get the understanding and they can sort of explore how this event impacted them, you know. So a lot of times the non offending parents or other loved ones show up to say what can I do for the victim right? Or what can I do if my child calls harm? But it's really about how did it impact you? How is it impacting you today? Like how where are you being a negatively changed by this and how are you playing in in ways that are negatively impacting other people? So it's really about like that internal work. And then we find that if each person in a family, not each person. It could just be two people in a family system three for do this work. The system changes even if you don't put them all together. But I do want to say one thing about like, we don't use that word perpetrator. We say you know a person who calls harm in part because over fifty percent of people who cause harm caused it when they were also miners, and they do not only like two percent or three percent of the cases do those people grow up to harm sexually as adults.
Speaker 6: So there is a.
Speaker 5: Huge, huge, huge group of people who harmed as children are not at risk of harming in adulthood. They want and they're usually have harmed you know, their cousin or their sibling, somebody like that, and they are desperate to repair and they want they want any way to be able to repair, and they need to be supported because it's not an easy it's not an easy path to walk to figure out how to be accountable and make amends to somebody you love who probably loves you too, and so not that we you know, most of the people who come to Hidden.
Speaker 6: Water are the people who are harmed, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: But they that seems like a given to me because they always have to do their work or they're not going to make it, you know. But so often the rest of the people in the family system want a part anticipate, but there aren't a lot of places for them to know how to do that. And so we have two hundred people on our waiting list at every season, and so it's not an issue of like we can't give people to come to the table, we don't have enough resources to serve all the people that want to come to the table.
Speaker 4: Wow, this is just so amazing to hear you say. So the beginning of my career I actually did. I worked.
Speaker 3: With ADULTSOO childhood physical and sexual abuse, and then went on to work in New York City hospitals and predominantly a Medicaid population for fifteen years.
Speaker 4: And there's just a lot of trauma.
Speaker 3: And I think what you're talking about is so important because obviously the act of trauma is extremely you know, influential in a person's life, but it's also a family member who you may have wanted to talk to and did talk to, and how that experience was went went down. Basically that can almost make the trauma just as challenging because a lot of times things were brushed on the rug or family members didn't know how to respond, and that invalidating environment really exacerbates the traumatic response. And so I think that providing an environment where families are coming together, maybe not the person, what was the language you use?
Speaker 5: The person, the person who caused harm, the person aparts harm.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe they're not always, you know, depending on the situation, able or willing to be present. But I think there are so many family members who don't know the language, don't know what to say, don't really know, they feel guilty themselves and don't know how to support this other person. So you're you're, You've talked a lot about this, but I would actually just love to hear a little bit more specifics, like what does this look like?
Speaker 4: Is it virtual? Is it in person? Where are you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: What is this circle?
Speaker 3: Can you talk a little bit more about the details, like what would this look like?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it hidden?
Speaker 5: Or do we have a twelve week We call it a season and the circle meets for an hour and a half once a week and it's all virtual, almost all virtual. Since COVID, we pushed everything online, partly because people who've been harmed might show up in New York City in person, but their family members are all over the world, you know, because it's very common to move away from a family when you have that kind of dysfunction, and so we've always had to be online. So it's pretty easy to be online, and there's you know, there's other benefits that we realize. So it's eight people who all identify with that experience, not people that know each other. And so, you know, let's just take non offending parents for example. They come to this circle, there's eight of them.
Speaker 6: They may be the.
Speaker 5: Parent of someone who was harmed, someone who cause harm, or both because of very common for a sibling to harm a sibling, and they sit with other parents who have that same circumstance and they're you know, what you said is absolutely right. I just want to go on a little tangent here, which is that so many adults look back and they say, I don't even care about the person who harm me, especially if they're outside of the family. It's like, I don't even care about that. I care that my mom believes me, or you know, something like that. And so the real harm over time, not the real harm, but this secondary harm over time is the way the family shows up and they and I used to feel very contemptuous about that, having coming from a five generations of child sectribues of my family, I used to feel like, why don't these parents show up like this? But actually, why would they know how to No one has ever taught anyone.
Speaker 4: On a societal level, on.
Speaker 5: A you know, school community level, on a family level, on a person a little no one has ever explained how to deal with this. So everyone just says, just don't talk about it, brush it under the rug.
Speaker 4: And tell people to forgive.
Speaker 5: And so these twelve week circles all have a curriculum and you go around three times, everyone gets to speak. There is no therapist, there is no social worker. There's just people who have that as a personal experience, and we've trained them to run the curriculum and we start to unpack whatever the issue is depends. You know, there's sort of common issues in each of the four groupings, and we just start to unpack. Like non offending parents are often saying, like, just tell me how to fix it, Just tell me what hoop to jump through. It's like that there is no hoop to jump through, and you can't fix it. But what can you do? You know, And so there's there's sort of that unpacking of your own personal experience until you sort of come to this place where you realize, oh, okay, I know what's my role and how I should show up, what's not my role, and how I shouldn't show up. And then they just go back into the family and start, you know, responding differently, and that makes a big difference. So I don't know if I answered your question, but there's eight people in a grouping for twelve weeks an hour and a half, and we had a curriculum, and that when we do that season twice a year, I would.
Speaker 3: Just be interested if it's not too challenging, just to briefly mention, like, are there overall topics that get addressed in the curriculum?
Speaker 4: You know? Is it almost like a table of contents?
Speaker 3: Is there are there some bigger, broader topics that you address during those weeks?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I can give you like the quick overview of the first week we do you know, what we can call container building. You know, we're introducing ourselves, we're getting to know each other. The second week we talk about what are sort of our group norms and guidelines for how we want to interact with one another. And then I am in my book that I wrote, there's the pasty Healing from Harm, which is like the core curriculum for Hidden Water, and we explain the you know, the sort of we call it the Paths of Healing from Harm, and it's three phases, and we try to start to identify where we are, and you're on you know, it's not linear, of course, but it's it's sort of a grounding framework for sort of understanding what are these different phases that we kind of bounce around in and just accepting all three phases, but knowing that you're trying to move in this direction, not stay stuck in the first one. And then the rest of the weeks, each person takes a turn to talk for ten minutes about this one question we ask, which is what is the edge of your healing? And we realize that, like, you don't have to just regurgitate the harm story over and over again. You actually have to say, in what way today is that harm that happened to me or in my family or I cause impacting my life right now? And so you know, for some people that's addiction. For some people, that's people pleasing, caretaking, you know, dissociating, having conflict with everyone, not having conflict with anyone, you know, like all the ways in which those symptoms that grew out of the harm are playing out and disorienting your life right now. And so some people do want to tell the story, but that's not the question. The question is like, how do you see it in current day wreaking havoc on your life or on your relationships. And so then each person has a chance to take a week and kind of do a deeper dive into what that is for them. And we always say that like, you're not healing from talking, you're actually healing from listening. And so when somebody shows up to do what we called their share and you hear yourself in their share, that's when you start to feel less isolated, less alone. You realize things that might have taken you one hundred years in therapy to realize, but that person came up with it and you were like, oh, I would have never thought of that, But that's me too, you know. And so it seems that the group dynamic is what is healing, not, you know, because there's so much isolation in child sexual abuse, and so to hear yourself reflected in someone else's different story is very healing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you mentioned forgiveness, and we've been writing a book about type SE and we did a little bit about forgiveness, and it's a kind of a complicated topic.
Speaker 2: So I'm very curious on like, how do you think about forgiveness when it comes to child sex abuse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm surprised I mentioned it because we always say in Hendwater's forgiveness is a swear word, you know, because it gets so weaponized by that other people in the family. Like I've said, I'm sorry so many times. I was a kid too. Why can't you just forgive? Or God teaches us to forgive, or you know, like a lot of the people in the systems think if you could just forgive, we could all go back to normal, right, And so that's why we say forgiveness is a for word, because it's not really forgiveness. It's like we want you to stop talking about this so we can stop having.
Speaker 4: To worry about it kind of thing. But of course that's not how healing works.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 5: You know, we we spend a fair amount of time in the other circles, not the not the one with the victims, but the other one's saying forgiveness is not the end goal, Like the person who is harmed, thriving in their life and the way they want is the end goal. And that may for some people be you know, reconciling with their siblings that harm them. It also may be like going to court and finally taking that stepfather, you know, to account in a legal system. It may be saying I'm never you know, I will not be going to family events with that uncle or that aunt or that grandparent.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know.
Speaker 5: So it's really about what do you What is the person who is harm need and how can the rest of the people support that so they can thrive. It's not really about forgiveness. And the other thing we always say about forgiveness is forgiveness finds you. It's you don't idea have to decide that you forgive. You could say, okay, fine, I forgive you, But if you're still feeling resentful, you're still getting triggered, and you're still feeling unseen, then you probably didn't even if you said so. So so often like I forgive you is okay, I agree, I won't talk about it again.
Speaker 4: But like true.
Speaker 5: Forgiveness is like letting it go and you know, and that can happen, but it's not the goal.
Speaker 4: Anna.
Speaker 8: I would love just to hear because we have this type see project how you how many complicated people pleasers you do run across in your circles?
Speaker 2: You know, we went out and interviewed a lot of people for our book and there was the theme of child sex abust with some of our interviewee. So it's it's definitely a contributor to this need to focus on everyone else other than yourself. So if you have, you know, anything that you want to you know, I guess say, when it comes to people pleasers, we'd love to hear it.
Speaker 4: Wait, Elizabeth, we cannot hear you. Did you press mute by accident?
Speaker 6: You can't hear me?
Speaker 9: So good now, okay, I'm sorry, let me Is there a better way to ask that question? I'm happy to do that again.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, I mean, I think the the main question is just oh now we can't hear you again?
Speaker 5: Can you hear me now?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, sorry with that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, My question is really just uh, you know, obviously there can be so many different trauma responses. Particularly in the work that I did, we talked a lot about, you know, the aggressive and then the passive, Like oftentimes, you know, you want to protect yourself, how do you do that? You can become overly aggressive to protect yourself. You can become overly passive to protect yourself. And obviously there's a lot of connections between that and the types of personality, right, I mean, the types of personality really is coping mechanism for staying safer later on, and just wondering do you see that frequently in your circles and also do you specifically address that in any way? Like you know, obviously addiction is a behavior that could.
Speaker 4: Come out of it's a trauma response.
Speaker 3: What are you know, if you have any thoughts or words of wisdom or sort of guidance for you know, things that you've learned or helped people with over the years when they are struggling with that passive what other people's needs first to.
Speaker 4: The extreme version, right, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: We could have a whole nother podcast about just that.
Speaker 5: But I mean I was going to say too that, Yeah, I agree with you that there you know, the the through three phases of.
Speaker 6: The path, the healing from harm. The first one is coping.
Speaker 5: And you know, initially after harm we say denied to flect, minimized, justify, blame the victim, defend the offender.
Speaker 4: That's sort of like.
Speaker 5: Those initial But then what happens if you stay stuck in that phase, Then the long term symptoms start to come online. And we divide those up into physical, emotion, relational adulting, and addiction. And I would agree with you when it comes to relational you're either going to be aggressive or you're going to be passive.
Speaker 6: And for people who have caught who have been harmed, they often come up against this one fundamental question, which is, let's say if you were harmed in your family, or even if you weren't harmed in your family, depending on how your family is dealing with your harm, You're either going to want to stay in the family, in which case you almost have to become a people pleaser. You have to set you have to get good at setting your needs aside and prioritizing other people. Or the other choice is leave the family system, you know, reject them in some way, uh, and then try to do your healing work outside of that. You know, that layer of sort of dysfunction, but you might just recreate it in a different place too, because then you get into a relationship and you have your own family or et cetera, and now you feel also like you have to people please and keep it together or you'll be have to abandon that system.
Speaker 5: So people pleasing, you know, is very very very common here. I would say that, you know, it's it's part of the trauma too, though, you know, it's like some you know, you're trying to take care of everyone, and then you come up against something and.
Speaker 4: You explode, like nobody cares about me. I'm totally alone.
Speaker 6: Nobody thinks about me? What about me? You know? And and so.
Speaker 5: There's this sort of vacillating between feeling so alone, which is one of the fundamental core problems in child sexual bees, or I have to play along or I will be abandoned, you know. And so if those are your choices, and those are your choices often if your family isn't doing the work, those are your choices, and I don't you know, they're both bad in some ways, and you know, and it's not so conscious as I'm making it sound obvious, like people are doing it unconsciously, but if you really think about when we get down into our circles, we often see that pattern that and this is why we think about the family system as the as the thing that needs to be healed, not the individual, because if the family system doesn't heal, then the one who is harmed is up against this. Yeah no, I mean I think that the types of personality is all woven in the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, Lizabeth, I wish we could talk all day.
Speaker 6: I me too.
Speaker 4: I think we have to round.
Speaker 2: We have a we have a hard stop with with timing.
Speaker 4: So we just want to really thank you. But also.
Speaker 2: Where can people find you if people are interested in learning more about this maybe our listeners would love to hear it. Just your you know, your website if you're on Instagram that company.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so uh.
Speaker 5: Hidden Water is a free resource, although we certainly you know, appreciate donations because we don't have any formal funding.
Speaker 6: We're running the whole thing.
Speaker 5: It's we always say, the community, you know, healing itself, and so it's really people inside the Hidden Water, but you know outside, we have circles. Our website is www. Hidden Watercircles dot org. And in July and in January, you can sign up for circles. Sometimes you have to be on the waiting list for a whole season though, before you're going to actually get a spot, so please be aware of that.
Speaker 6: But we're you know.
Speaker 5: You're welcome. And then I do want to just plug my book called Healing Together, a Family Guide to Healing from Sexual Harm. And I wrote this book for the other three groups, you know. You know that so often the person who is harmed and what is up against their family system and they're having to do their own work and till they put people in the family how to behave, And so the book is really for those other people in the family to be able to read what the person who was harmed is going through, what the different people in the different positions in the family are going through, and how can you think about this differently so that you can be a value add as opposed to neutral or you know, taking away from or causing inadvertent harm by behaving in ways. So you can find that book on my website Elizabeth Clemens dot com or Planning Change dot com.
Speaker 6: And that book.
Speaker 5: Is so often sent to the people in the family, you know, because it's a really nice way to orient yourself about how you're thinking in a way that's actually causing more harm. Thank you for having me. I really appreciate all your great work, both of you.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I think this conversation is so important for so many people. And I think that your family work is crucial because, as I said, it is obviously the traumatic experience is traumatizing, but how the family deals with it at that moment and moving forward is such a huge component of the trauma response. And I think creating opportunities to help the family because they don't know what to do.
Speaker 4: As you said, your very good point.
Speaker 3: These are people lacking in skills because this is not a vocabulary or emotional regulation that techniques that they have. And I think your book is very important, So we really hope people will go check it out. We hope people will check out our website, the Types of Personality dot com and listen to the podcast. So thank you so much for everyone being here today, Thank you for having me to you