Speaker 1: Taxes on tists. So if you want to keep up a copycat campaign, keep us on fifty.
Speaker 2: Five KRC, the talk station.
Speaker 1: Ato five, the fifty five KRS the talk station. Happy Wednesday, so please to get the late edition of my next guest. He's been on before, Jared Nod And he has a numerous articles published in National Magazine, alongside some of America's most famous writers, American Greatness Magazine, Human Events Magazine, The Mensa Bulletin, The American Thinker, and BPR. A decorated combat infantry officer in Vietnam and the first Cavalry Division civilian career, he served as vice president of Sales and Marketing and marketing director and Home improvement Industry and thank you for your service for our country. Last time he was on the program, we talked about his prior first book, Tiny Blunders, Big Disasters thirty nine Tiny Mistakes that Change the World Forever. Now we have volume two, Tiny Blunders, Big Disasters Book two, the many Tiny Mistakes that Change the World Forever. Welcome back to the fifty five KRS Morning Show, Jared not It's a pleasure to have.
Speaker 2: You on, AM. I just an honor to be here.
Speaker 1: I was laughing. I know you're a MENSA member, and so I've been a member for twenty years, and the only time I ever bring it up is in the context of self deprecation self deprecating moments when I point out that, you know, yeah, I'm a member of MENSA, but I'm still an idiot. It just depends on what category you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my wife would agree with you, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, well you married smart. I'm sure you did anyway. I first off, these things I love, these books, just absolutely amazing. We're going given to a couple of illustrations. What people are going to find in here surprising and quite often somewhat humorous. How do you research, let's talk about, for example, the end of the Roman Empire. You can explain to my listeners the context for this, but how do you research something like this? And what brought up the idea of adding that one to tiny Blunder's Big disasters? What led you to the breakdown of why this small issue ended up well bringing the end of the Roman Empire?
Speaker 2: Yes, well, my I have I tell people that my mind is a trash bin of and I may forget where I put my keys, but I can remember stuff I read thirty forty fifty years ago, and I read that story long time ago about to say somebody forgetting to close and lock the gate of one of the one of the major defensive walls of the fortress there was then it was Constantinoble And so then I go back and research it online. And that's one thing about writing a book today is that you had this great, wonderful library available at your at your fingertips. And it's an interneing story. And Lee al Musk's been on a tweet about two years ago from a cartoon of like a soldier in bed and he's had a bubble above his head that says, did I remember to lock that gate? Okay? He send that out here kind of an old jail kind of thing where the people in Turkey were kind of offended by the whole thing. But anybody that brings up, yes, a tiny mistake back in the fourteen fifty three, and it was great pivotal in world history when Constantinoble fell name has now changed of course to Istanbul. That the Ottoman Empire took over that part of the world and the Silk Road going to the far east was closed. Well, then the people in Europe were desperate to get spices, which motivated that Christopher Columbus to persuade that the Spandings to get them three ships to sail directly west to try to find the spice Island's been going west as opposed to going down the Silk Road. Of course, that set off a whole big discovery of the New World, etc. That's a whole big story in itself. By the way, they marvelous mistake Christopher Columbus is an interesting story in itself, But that was triggered because of the fall of Constantinople and also another big factor of why the fortress fell. Magnificently designed and built fortress had three different the walls made of brick, and up until that time fortresses were solid and strolling and difficult to defeat. But so one of the very first time cannon were brought into use, and they had a great, big, gigantic bronze cannon cannon. It was like twenty seven feet long, and it was what they call a bombard, and that means it shot the big stone with a great big, one ton round rock was fired from the cannon would go about a mile and bound hit the walls of the city and it started battering them down, So that along with the mistake was a factor. Also the black plague and wiped out a large amount of the population. They only had about seven thousand defenders eighty thousand attackers. That was another factor. And all that came together. By the way, the canon later flew up and killed the men who were operating it. So it was an interesting picture of that great big thing. They still have a sample of some of those old cannons, great big, gigantic things. That's an interesting story in itself, but anyway, major turning point in history, but it might not have faught. You don't know. There are different factors. Right If somebody member to a close and locked the damn gate. Yeah, so that's a tiny bunder that calls a huge news change in the direction of that history. You know.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of the story from your first book, Tiny Blunders, Big Disasters, thirty nine Mistakes that the soldier who kicked a helmet off a wall which ultimately resulted in an empire following. That's worth reading too for my listeners who don't have a copy of that book. You're going to want to get it as well. What's the funniest one? I mean, if you had describe something in terms of a mistake or a blunder, what's the funniest one you encountered in your second book here?
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's actually when my book. And I think of myself as a cheerful, happy person, okay, but my book, by its great nature, is kind of negative. We're talking about mistakes only it's a big disaster. But this one was a tiny mistake that had a marvelous outcome. And I begin by saying that Professor Fleming was a slob. You might even see a total slob. And he's sort of like the patron saint and role model for slobs everywhere. And I have a wife, but he's identified with him. But anyway, he was with the professor in the Saint Mary's Hospital in London in nineteen twenty eight, okay, and he kept this messy laboratory and he's going to go to his home the country of Scotland for vacation. Okay. He has a lot of dirty dishes, in this case petri dishes mirrored with bacteria. But he just leaves him there and his lab not much from this stacked up fire lined up on the table. By the way, very important. He opens up a window, leaves the window wide open into his laboratory. The two weeks that he's gone, well, what happens is a spore comes in through the window, they think, and lands right in one of the petrie dishes. We're kind of spoor where it comes back from Scotland. And he starts to clean the dishes and lo and behold, right in the middle of the petrie dish is a penicillin mole spore which has killed all of the bacteria around it. Is a clear space all around it starting getting fluffy, it's growing, it's prospering right there in the middle of the bacteria, killing all of the bacteria around him. And there's, by the way, a big war taking place in the microscopic world between bowls and between between bacteria, between the viruses, just like the jungles of Africa, killing each other and wiping each other out, and the penicilline bowls on further examinations is able to cause the wall of bacteria to break to burst, and then the entire cell structures and it's destroyed. Well anyway, so Fleming follows through is able to. It's hard to grow. That penaione that gets to grow, gets the Jews and confirms his findings, publishes it into a new newspaper, a journal, a medical journal, is ignored for ten years, but then ten years later it's picked up by the people of Oxford, and step by step by step, that initial breakthrough leads to the development of the medicine of penicilla, the world's first antibiotic. It is saved over a half a billion lives, and that's a conservative estimate. And the entire field of anabahotics took place because of that sloppy a lot of parvatory in Saint Mary's House of nineteen twenty eight. Thank gosh, you was such a sloppy person, or no telling where we would be.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure there's someone other going No, that was divine intervention. God put that spore there for a reason. But you think about that led to, as you point out, antibiotic research generally speaking, and if you look at all of the lives saved by all of the antibiotics out there the world, you probably couldn't even count that high. A huge well, and then the hundreds and hundreds of million we're talking with with Jared Notd, author of Tiny Blunder's Big Disasters book too. The flip side of that, though, is the mistake that led to over well costing the lives of millions of people worldwide. Is that a reference to the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's another mistake in the laboratory. And I'd say in the last one hundred years two of the biggest developments in medicine took place as the result of mistakes in the laboratory. One very very good, that one very bad. And of course it was exactly right, even though it was denied by Anthony Thauci. The evidence is pretty so beyond agrees and the NY Department degrees and the evidence is pretty solid. But yes, a mistake in the Wolhan lab led to a what's called gain of function virus. What they did they take two different viruses and they combine them and it's much more aggressive than the original virus was by itself. And that's very very dangerous research. A lot of the virologists there are always warned against doing it at all. And he found she said, no, I think the main information to be gained is worth the risk, and he was paying for gain of function research and the Wulhon lab back in about going back about eight nine, ten years ago in that range. Well, sure enough they were warned that their lably could cause it aster. Was sure enough they had a lab leak, and Anthony about you, brilliant man that he is, came up with this counter theory. Oh no, it came from the fish market over there into Gohan market. Well no, the evidence is pointing heavily in the other direction though. It was a lab leak, and that the United States taxpayers had been funding that kind of research in Wohan. And look at the disaster. We have the exact numbers. Hard to say. They say that India has downplayed their numbers. China's downplay their numbers. It may be well over ten fifteen billion by now, it's certainly at least seven billion, but it maybe ten or fifteen million. We're not done yet, So that's a lab mistake.
Speaker 1: Thatch was was disastrous, without question, And let's pivot over. I kind of laughed about the events surrounding the sinking of the bis Mark. The Bismark didn't really have to sing. Follow orders is a simple rule that you can learn from this blunder.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, that's very interesting. The German captain so by the way, was admitted to a lady who was half a jillious and he had actually taken a stand to something against the Hitler and the abuse of Jews. But because of the Citus dead officer, he was allowed to stay in the navy and was not prosecuted. But anyway considered very good cats and overall, but he had England is very very dependent on convoys coming to it to give it the petroleum, to give it to food, et cetera. Being an isolated island and World War two that was just critically important. Did the convoys stay open coming from the United States, in particular, their purpose of the Bismarck was to go into the North Atlantic and to begin attacking those vital convoys. The British were extremely concerned what the damage they could do. So they're monitoring it. They're monitoring, and it broke out into the North Atlantic and they began to close in agressive as they could. The HMS Hood, which was the pride of the British Navy, closes with the Bismark to Bismark in just a few minutes he's able to sink the hood. There was a weakness and the design of the hood. It's central ducks were not well reinforced around. Hit the center part of the ship, hit the armory down below, blows up the ship in just a few minutes to survivor or something like that. Huge huge blow to British pride and a huge blow to the British Navy. Well, then they have a number of ships chasing the birs Market and it's going in the Sound AND's big storms there in the North Atlantic, and the Bismark is turning to the left, turning to a port, and it's turning to the right to starboard, left, right, left, and then swings the right, and he just keeps on calling to the right and goes to the west and then circles back to the North. Well, the British loses the mark. Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, they got the business mark loose, and the North Atlantic didn't know what it is and how they out find it. But the captain makes a critical mistake. He breaks radio silence. Now he's warned by his headquarters back in France radio to him, we think you've lost the British Navy do not use the radio maintained radio silence, and he had li respect for those people. They don't know what to talk about and never did trust him go pound sand so keeps on using breaking radio silent and the British turnout pick up this signal. They are able to triangulate and then able to now start. They found them again, they start, come again once again, and ultimately it led to the British the ship being sucked another The old tiny mistake is kind of funny. It was that planes off of the British carrier Arc Royal. They were attacking these bismarket by dropping torpedoes against it. And these oh World War one biplanes can only fly at ninety miles an hour. Well, the targeting systems on board the bismark were only manufactured designed to go down to one hundred and fifteen miles an hour, so the planes were too slow for them to target very well to come in and they wanted to COPEDO gets real lucky. It hits the rudder of the Buszmark which cripples it and you can only go in circles. Then they're able to sink it. But if they had better targeting systems. Let's say they go down to eighty miles an hour if they had not broken radio silence and serious sense that the Buzmark might have gotten away right, the follow orders and toe the line, and you're better off.
Speaker 1: Tiny blunders, big disaster's book too, the many tiny mistakes that change the world forever. My guests today, Jared Not and get the first book wire at it. I always mean this with absolute praise. Would you characterize this as a bathroom book? It's easy to get through a little story and then you pick it up later and move on. Is that type of book it is set out?
Speaker 2: Yes, unlike a novel, we have to go from the beginning all the way to the end. You can just send through it, pick out the stories and thirty forty stories to pick out the ones you like the best and read those, come back to the others later or whatever like that. So it's the fun went to have sitting there next to the john, like you say, and just take out a story each time you get it, you want to sit down and depending on how long the story is and how long the proof is, take your pick.
Speaker 1: I love it that way, Jared and Not, I thank you spending time my listeners with me. Thanks for writing the book, and my listeners can easily get a copy just going over to fifty five Karsey dot com. There's a link that'll take them to where they'll buy the book. Jared not looking forward to volume three.
Speaker 2: My friend, thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You're more than welcome. Eight twenty almost eight twenty one. Here fifty five Krsity Talk Station, Judgjentena Polton and bottom of our news. First a word four Peter Shoaprea Kellowiams sven Hills. You need value from your real estate agent, buyer's agents, sellers agent. It's very, very important that you have quality, competent, knowledgeable, friendly folks that can help you out whether you're buying or selling a home. That is what Peter Shabrea Kellowiams seven Hills is Sincinday's number one real estate group. Their mission is your five star experience. They accomplish that by providing you with the best agents in the business. You can check them out online and gave you the website and a second but also the programs that nobody else offers. Love It or Leave It program, Cash to Keys program, Leveraging the cash worker with Peter Shabriz. Make a cash offer on the home you want that sets you apart from the pack. Lots of ins and outs on that one. Learn about it, Go to the website and learn more about the group and call them up to do so. It's seven zero eight three thousand dot com. And of course to call them up five one three seven zero eight three thousand.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station. We're just days o