Speaker 1: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome back to the Alien Retrospective. I'm the clown Prince of Creation dressed now I'm joined by.
Speaker 2: I am the pup Kirkling Patzer.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm Doylan Muss Neomorph Taylor Field.
Speaker 1: Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we are back. We are reviewing every single alien film in honor of Alien Ramas. We also got two special episodes well where there'll be an Alien Isolation side quest with Dylan Taylor, and then we're also going to review some alien comics when they fight the the Avengers and then the Predators fighting Black Panther or something something like that. You know, but yeah, lots of stuff leading up to that in August. So go back in the feeds. A bunch of them are there, you can go. I guess at this point. I don't know about the other ones, but at this point there's probably a maybe.
Speaker 4: A Covenant there early.
Speaker 1: But we're getting here the end of this, so I was just thinking about that right now. It's like usually like oh, we got this, it's like no, I guess, really, there's not too many. We're reviewing them in a weird order, but the time people are listening to this in the public, there's just Covenant and Isolation the combook one left, so yeah, we're getting near the end.
Speaker 3: We also do have an original review of Covenant out there if people want to listen.
Speaker 1: We do. Yes, you can go back and probably no, no, no, back in the basement days. But yeah, we will be re recording it because uh, Kirkland has ever seen it and we want to revisit. It's been older than five years, but today we were revisiting or seeing I don't know, why don't we get everyone's story Prometheus? This is the uh it is now? Yeah, Okay, it's a prettyquel to Alien, and you know, I'm gonna go first because that's why I want to start with my thoughts here. Back in the day when I saw this, the hubbub and hype about this was just that Ridley Scott was making a sci fi movie and everyone was like, is this connected to Alien or not? They were not. They kind of hid that close to their vest until after the fact and it came out. I think we all kind of figured out that it was, but they weren't being upfront about it. And that's why the only real alien thing is at the very last two minutes, right, So that's something that I remember this movie being very mysterious and people putting a lot of piece together trying to figure out. I remember the press always being hey, is this an alien prequel? Is there an alien in this? And Scott like dodging. I can't even remember right time release. If he finally said, yeah, there's something in there, I'd have to go back and find But I remember the build up to this movie because it was Scott. I don't know what he had done before this's off to look after all you guys were talking about. But I think he was kind of a nothing's putting on anything, But I don't know if there's anything great. And Scott does that, right, he'll do something like this, and then a couple years later he has some melons. Then he'll put out like the Martian, like he does these things where every once in a while he'll go put it you know, hopefully that happens with Glady or two or just when you start to doubt, really Scott, he goes and puts out this juicy bang. You're like, okay, no, he's still he still got everything he has there. So I remember the lead up to this quite a bit. I saw it was his previous movie definitely a bummer. So that's where it was like, does he still have it? You know?
Speaker 2: Not on the up and up now though, So glad you here? Two has to be good, you know, well, what is.
Speaker 1: It that's your objectory? Yeah? Because Dan does it go? Does it go? Prometheus? The Martian? Or is the Martian after Covenant?
Speaker 3: My god, this guy's worked on a lot of movies.
Speaker 1: He has worked in a lot of movies.
Speaker 3: Prometheus, you want to go before or after?
Speaker 1: No? After Prometheus? Yes, so he does? Oh that's down?
Speaker 3: And then the Martian?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Counselor One of my most disappoint movies all time. Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruise, Michael Fastpender, Brad Pittjavier Bardem Crime Thriller, one of those boring fucking movies you'll see in your life. The best thing about it is Cameron Diaz legitally has sex with a car. And it's a really great scene because Sabi Bardham is watching this and his it's like a comedy scene. His facials are to die for. I have heard scuttle but that the director's cut is actually better, and Redley Scott is like a big like zach Snyry has a lot ofctor cuts out there, even talk about doing one for this, So this was more on the same thing. Okay, can you return back to form because you do a hit, And for me it was a hit back then, and it's something that I think as I've grown older, I like more and more and I can definitely say I love this movie. It ain't a perfect score. The third act is really messy. Things fall apart, I think really fast, and the pacing is very odd where I think act one, Act two or pace is exact same movie that Act two or act three. Someone just like Shaw gets like adrenaline shot and then it's like and there's things left open and not in like an osequel things where it's just like I was really interested in this concept or this story and it ends abruptly or it's not a satisfying conclusion. So it's no way a perfect film. It's no way that it's a ten to ten movie. But for me, it's the look of this movie. It's like the Alien movie where this offse is way more update and the visual effects are way superior as far as the things they could do. But I like that because in the Census is before that, right, And it feels what I like about and I don't like about The Stars prequel, where it looks new but almost too new. This is like a good balance of it looks like there's stuff where it hasn't gone through a certain era, but it's not the you can see it's like on the way to the Alien World, like the Alien movie, not the Alien World like with Ripley the seventies version. Right. I love the score. This is a trivia fact that I've should say. But what I loved but I learned today was they wrote the score, they had everyone play it backwards, and then when they put in the film, they reversed it to make it go forward because they yeah, they wanted like it to sound very odd and weird. So that's why it technically is played the way it was written, but they played it backwards. So that's why the score in this movie I absolutely love. It has like this etheral just kind of heavenly at times type of score. And that's where as I've gotten older, I've appreciated war because I think when I saw this one, this is twenty this well it's twenty twelve, right, so it's like four twelve years ago. I don't think I was in the headspace to think about creation and that aspect of what David talks about with God and why would someone create this and want to know your creators? To me, it was just I think honestly, at the first time, I was just like, this is an alien movie, and that's all I was curious about. And then I appreciate way more and more every time I watch it Visually. I love it, score, I love it. I love a lot of cinematography. I love a lot of the ebbs and flows because it's a slowly paced movie, very some of the first Alien movie. But Act one, Act two I really like. And then there's just an all star performance by Fastbender. He is just like on a different level here. It's something that I wouldn't think, but David is legitimately i'd have to make like a villain's list, but I think he's in that top twenty five. He's such an interesting character. He's he's the most interesting Android, and honestly, I'd say the most interesting character in the whole Alien franchise. When you put even some stuff in Covenant, when you take what this android, how he processes things and just the way he goes about it. Yeah, really really, Like I said, the third act, we'll get into there's some issues, and I like sack cast. You know Naiomai pays Charlie. They're on Charlie's there on Iris Elba, Sean Harris who ends up becoming like a big part of Mission Impossible. You got Katie Dicker, who is like a big part of Game of Thrones. I think I'm missing somebody. Piers yea and one was in there.
Speaker 5: He's address Elbow's co pilot.
Speaker 2: You got with the bet?
Speaker 3: Did you not recognize.
Speaker 1: No offense? Captain?
Speaker 5: But you're a ship pilot?
Speaker 1: Is he in his Okay?
Speaker 3: He's like he's very doubted that wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeahs are cracked. That's not that's not worth.
Speaker 3: That's Travis's strong suit is picking out actors.
Speaker 1: In the private chat, he looked very young, so that's I did not I did not think that was him at all. So there you go. But no, I, despite some flaws in here, love this movie. Love's great memorable moments. That's great character moments, and I'm excited to talk about it. And in many times I don't like prequels. It's for some reason which we'll get into me he just talked about with AVP. I somehow don't have an issue with like, if this is the origin of the Xenomorph, I feel like I should be like this is a Travis got, like, oh fuck, I don't need to know. But I don't really mind it. Per se the Engineer space Jockey stuff, there's some big like wow, that's some big leaps they took there. But the actual Xenomorph I really don't mind, especially in like it's sexual nature with this creature is in the other movies, right, So yeah, that's my thoughts.
Speaker 2: I want's to take it to me thoughts. I'm gonna go next. I it's funny I saw this in theaters with the buddy of mine, shouts out to Carson. I had absolutely no idea that this was related to Alien at all. I mean, I like that you laid out that they try to hide it. I also just probably wasn't paying attention to like film stuff, and like, I like I might have seen Alien at this point, maybe, like I just wasn't really like engulfed in the universe. I didn't probably didn't even know who Realley Scott was. I don't know, like I just went into it as blind as a bat. I remember the trail, like the they went hard on the trailers, like it really looked interesting of just the sci fi experience, similar to like an interstellar type thing that we're just going beyond the stars, just somewhere else to find life. And that was intriguing enough for me. It's like the first time around, I probably knew like Charlie's s Thearren and like that was it for like the famous actors. So like now watching it, it's just such a stacked cast, like it's it's actually it blew my mind with how many people are like side characters in this. It's like, holy fuck, Like all of these are basically A listers. This is really impressive.
Speaker 3: They probably five people from the MCU and here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I'm curious if some of that was just they want, like some people really to take like pay cuts just to work with Ridley Scott. How like we hear those stories of just uh was it Nolan that did that with.
Speaker 1: I don't think so though, other than at least who was a big star in twenty twelve. Here right, like we look at it now, stack cast, but like now we're a piss just had the girls draining tattoo. Fastpender was just coming.
Speaker 6: Off No, no, no interesting me no, because I I was just like, in hindsight, I just I take this, this is same that they that they have now to looking back.
Speaker 2: So like even Idris.
Speaker 1: Elba, like, I feel like Luther's what got him really popular, and I don't know when that started, but I feel any fast Beender, he I think he was just yeah, Luther was twenty ten, so it was just like a year or two before, so it wasn't that big. And even when his first class shouts.
Speaker 2: Out as a casting director then because that's that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Same thing first class as a year before. So I feel like they probably got a lot of people like right before they blew up like that. Apparently the only one though that did was I don't know when he was because because X men, Fastbender, I guess did have a high price, because what happened was the studio didn't want pay for him. And this is another part of my trivia, but Scott was like, I don't want anyone but Fastpender, so we pay for him. But I guess he was second vill cool.
Speaker 5: Did you mention guy Pierce?
Speaker 1: Did you say that there, right, Yeah, but he would have been had he would have had smaller rate because he's not. He's in here for a day or two, right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah Moldy Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: Going into this completely blind, I feel like this was like the best way to experience this story too, because I I mean, obviously I've seen probably a VP up until this point at least twenty times, so I knew the zeno more. Well, this is twenty twelve, right, so I was like maybe more watched it, but like so at the end with like the reveal that was like, oh my god, this is in the alien universe, like like that actually blew my mind, like in the theater. So it was really hype. This was a fantastic first viewing. I feel like when we get into some of the engineer stuff, it just went completely over my head. This is actually my only second time seeing this movie since that time, so and again now that we've gone through the retro to like just to have that supplemented kind of knowledge of the universe going into it. You know, the lore from AVP, the crucial lore from that movie thring Ino here No I'm kidding, uh so like that stuff, it really made that first viewing special and watch it now. I I I think this is a fantastic movie. I'm not gonna say I love this movie. I I the first act though, like it's a tenant of ten. It's a tenant of ten. First act. It's like just vible. It's yeah, it's like doing level of like world building and just going on this like grandiose adventure of like across the stars, and just when everyone's coming out of their hyper sleep, we have David just doing his thing like on the ship like man, I I've eaten that stuff up and I want this game. Like yeah, like like it's it's so fantastic. When they get to the planet, just all the design of everything, all of the attention to detail, with every little gadget, with the pups as my name signifying, or when when you have I dress on the ship and then and the pups are mapping it out and they're just looking at this like three dimensional rendering that's real time. And then he like comes back to it in the middle of the night and the pups are just still like just like scaling this place. So like all of those little things is just I love the world building of this Adventure. I have quite a few issues with the third act, and I think that's what really brings this movie down for me, which is quite unfortunate. But yeah, like I still think the thriller aspect and the suspense like really was able to really I think tap similar veins that the first movie had in that level of suspense, which is crazy because that is like a very claustrophobic type movie. I guess there's areas of this movie that have that effect, but for the most part, like it's a lot more larger scale than what the first one is. But I feel like there's certain moments that happen really quickly, and it just like ramps up to the intensity scale, like when Buddy gets the thing on his arm and it's like, oh, it's a cute little arm. It just like within forty seconds, like it's just like escalates to these guys just get apps incapacitated. And I remember like seeing that in the theater and just like shocked because you're just you're not expecting it. It's like, Okay, it's a creepy alien thing. And then yeah, like I said, like forty seconds later, they're both just off and like the music ramps up in those moments. Good shout out Travis with the score. I obviously didn't know all the details of that, but yeah, the score definitely stand out.
Speaker 1: Well, like fucking halloway Man that is talking about a zero to one hunder situation of he's kind of cough to Charlie's fucking burned him on the ramp like I knew him. I didn't even imagine if you were Shaw like processing that day in your mind, like it's yeah, no, I think you're ready. It's like it's more like it's like quick fires. It's like a quick jab death instead of like long drawn out and some of those men I just think about just yeah, the arm one just so.
Speaker 2: That's like the most brutal one for me. But yeah, this movie, I think what they do well, they do like perfect like ten ten, Like it's just it's just beautifully uh executed. But yeah, I mean I'm excited to kind of break down some of the stuff that happens with the engineers and the third act because, like you know, just in hindsight, like thinking about this movie, I'm like, yeah, I don't really remember all the details of that, but I'm excited to really pay attention to it now on this viewing, and then I pay attention and I'm like, oh, okay, they just it's just I don't know, it's just okay, doomsday device. It's kind of what I remember, but less detail than I was hoping to get maybe on this next viewing. But yeah, fantastic movie. And I'm really excited now to see Alien Covenant because I still haven't seen that movie. So that's gonna be really fun.
Speaker 3: Very nice. Uh, I'll jump in here next. So I definitely don't think I saw this in theaters, but I think I saw it pretty close to when it came out. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I don't know what would have led me in the year twenty twelve, back when I was still in high school.
Speaker 1: I don't really would have.
Speaker 3: I feel like, I guess probably watching the Arrested development, but I wouldn't have been like, oh, her funny role in Rested Vilma, I gotta go see what she's doing in this in this sci fi epic. But whatever, it was, something drew me to this movie. Maybe it was a friend, maybe it was Briggs. Honestly, it might have been might have been Briggs. I feel like I watched it a couple of times and then watching watched it again prior to Covenant for sure, and yeah, I feel like of all these ones that we've gone through, it's like, yeah, I've seen all these alien movies before except for AVP and man, I just I remembered very little about them, Like coming to this retro felt very fresh, like it was almost first time viewings for a lot of them. But Prometheus, I'm like, man, I remember all of this, Like this is very sounds very strong in my brain, even though I like, if you asked me a week ago, it'd have been like, oh, I can't tell you a lot of details, But seeing it again, I'm like, it's all rushing back to me now. And yeah, I think what you guys said, like just visually, like the epicness, the scale of this movie, the world building. I hadn't thought of it that way, but like the world building of it, even if a lot of it is pretty simple, I mean, it gets pretty zany at some points. Zany is maybe the wrong word, but it just gets it gets grander at some points. But man, I just I just think this is such a great vibe, but such a great place to be and hang out and spend two hours just watching this movie. So I had a really really good time rewatching it here. I think partly in my brain, I've almost soured on this a bit because I really didn't like Covenant, and at this point I couldn't even really tell you what I don't like about Covenant anymore. It's been so long I forget. I'm excited for that rewatch, But I know one thing I did not like was the use of Fastbender, So I feel like because of that, I almost forgot that he was in this and how fucking good he is. He is amazing at playing an android, which we know, we've seen people have their different spin on it. But I think there's something about just his posture, even like his body, like he's so much just a slender guy that it comes a call like you've see him from certain angles, like from the side, and he's so freaking slim. It's like unsettling in a way. It's like, how is this a man? But it's like, oh, he's not a man in this movie. It just makes you feel weird in the best way possible. And some of the dialogue around his character is great, and I think just across the board, Like going back through all his alien movies, one of the I guess prevailing things for me. He's like, man, I really don't care for the cast of characters in these movies. Generally there's like maybe two maybe three characters that I'm invested in or I find interesting to some extent. But in this one, I think they do such a good job of like all these characters have different motivations. You have people who are just there for a job, whether it's the captain who doesn't care about any of the science stuff. He's just there, he's just the transporter. We have the scientists, people who are there for different but then there's just like even factions within the scientists of some of them care more about other things. And then you have David and his motivations. And then Vickers is the name of Charlie's thrown like her motivations as well, really really fun different dynamics that are just seeing the push and pull of what everyone wants out of this mission is just really compelling stuff. I think I've less problems with the third act than you guys do, so I'm curious to hear where those issues are. I can definitely see where some of them come from. But yeah, I think this movie is just fantastic. And I think maybe my last point here at the opening is just there's so many ways that this movie kind of calls back to things we've seen in Alien before, but I think they do it in a very playful way where it's like just a slight variation or something different, or maybe it's just that modern lens with modern technology, whatever it is, but it makes everything feel fresh, even if a lot of it is things we've seen them before, going into a mysterious base, finding the a catchlings, having the face hard, it's things we've seen before. But because of what you guys mentioned, like with the arm, like they just they switch it up in a way that makes it still intense all these years later. And part of that is because it can look a lot better, not like because the CGI is here, but the CIG is actually good, you know, for once in the Alien movies at least with AVP, you know, better and better as we as we said, But yeah, really just land it sticks to landing here. So yeah, I'm really excited to break down some of the more details with this one. This is a really really fun rewatch and it's funny like the d this, I'm like, man, I have so many questions and I know a lot of them are answered, and Covenant, I just can't remember what those answers are. So I'm I'm excited to see Covenant again, which is which is a good thought and hope I am less disappointed now that I'm way more in the headspace for Alien now than I think I like Before Covenant, I probably watched Prometheus and that was it. I don't know if I did the full rewatch of everything right, So yeah, I'm excited for that one.
Speaker 1: Mister Field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember going to the theater with my friends and watching this and just being blown away at just visually this movie is fantastic. Oh my goodness, and you are getting some stellar performances in here.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I went in knowing that this was part of the Alien universe. I did not expect it to be so heavily focused on the engineers, and so when we get like the intro and just what humanity is up to, I was just blown away. I thought it was fantastic. I really liked it, but I personally wanted more of the classic Zinos in this movie. That's something that I kind of had in the back of my mind, and I felt at the same time conflicted because I wanted to get more information on this new story that they were kind of exploring, and I felt like it was just so open ended. That was it. And this was a time when I didn't feel confident that we were going to be getting a sequel to this Necessarily. I wasn't perusing the forums, like like on Twitter, like we really Scott, you know.
Speaker 1: I was a tweet it Ridley, Yeah, where's that fourth Alien movie?
Speaker 5: Yeah. So that being said, though, I think this movie has a lot of strong points, and I like a lot of the characters and some of the just the cringey, gross stuff. Oh my god. Oh it's just I remember just squinting in the theater with my friends when we were watching some of these some of these scenes because they're just brutal, brutal, brutal, But it's just such a cool area to explore. It's It's not a movie that I'm always necessarily running back to to rewatch. I have other ones in the Alien franchise that I will turn to first before this one, but it's been a good minute since I watched this one.
Speaker 2: Prior.
Speaker 5: So yeah, like I think it's at its core, a part of me feels like it's just the movie that really Scott did. It's like in lieu of the First Alien, I feel like it's it's I don't want to say similar, but I.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know why really Scott really wanted to go about it with this film when I feel like there was more he could have told with alien being, like that's you know, that was his his baby, right, that was his creation. So I get you want to expand on the engineers, but I don't know why you would necessarily go and have Okay, well, the engineers. And this is the biggest question I have of all, you have the engineers that have the alien xenomorph eggs, and then you have the humans being and this is more or less explained I guess an alien covenant, but it seems like humans have a big hand at least David has a big hand with the creation of the neo morph is what it's called, as we see in this movie. And so that's what kind of confuses me because I thought that this, you know, we're more or less their own kind of thing. But again, that's up to interpretation when you watch the first Dalilen movie, and so when you get to hear they create this whole new setup that Okay, the engineers are creating a lot of bioweapons and different things like that. What's it called. I think there was the pathogen, That's what it's called. So they're creating these pathogens and it's just fucking up organics. And so that's a neat concept. But I still feel like it kind of clashes with that first Alien story at times, just in terms of like how the creation is and where David fits into that story. And maybe I just overthink it. I should just take it for what it is.
Speaker 1: Because how does like David helping create an alien clash with like that alien ending up on a ship and just wrecking havoc. That's where I guess I'm confused.
Speaker 5: Well, because I don't understand, like we already know that there's not many of these things supposedly left, And maybe it's it'll be an easier thing to talk about after we do Alien Covenant we kind of get that refresher from it. Uh. I just feel like this is still two hundred years before the first alien. So David created the face hugger egg after doing a bunch of experimentation, and then that goes off to being with the engineers. The engineers take them and start dropping eggs and creating eggs, putting eggs on ships everywhere, and like that. We know in the first Alien movie that engineer ship was designed to carry those eggs in there because there was like a the guy's talking about how there's a layer here, it's keeping them in like a stasis, and he's going into detail about it all. So yeah, obviously one day, I don't know, it's just seems.
Speaker 1: That's a sho way to Covenant, because Covenant they do answer all that stuff. They answer how they really. Yeah, they like because when you're like, oh, there's so few of them, Covenant gives you the full answer of like why these all these aliens would still be around all these years later.
Speaker 3: I do remember a couple of those scenes.
Speaker 1: I don't I just watched it today as well. I was just watching them all. So yeah, they full on answer like how would this happen? Well, that's how what happens. So that's why, like this Alien is like just supposed to be the you know, the the volume one. It's supposed to be like what starts it? You know, if there's a there's no other one. But it's like that, it's an Adam and Eve, it's a you know the first person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, super Cliffhangery in this movie, of course.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they don't ever touch upon that again, right like, So that's that's unfortunately, have loved scenes the Neomorph coming out of the engineer that's never touched upon.
Speaker 1: I guess no, I guess it's left on this planet. But it would be on that planet to now start reproducing and everything like that, right like.
Speaker 5: But it would need other organics, right because these things like you like, it's all the time in these movies.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, you know, that's that's a whole lot of Covenant is oh, let's stop of this planet. And then it's like, oh shit, we shouldn't have stop this planet. So all takes is one ship to land there. They're looking for Prometheus because here's one little thing and Covenant they talk about that it's legend that Prometheus went missing, so you could think that maybe people when looking for them. So if I think if one person lands down there, it's not gonna go well, for like for the the Neinomorph, like whatever, how are they re produce or whatever they do, or they could just be self reproducing, right, We don't know what the more neo morph does. Right, it could be that true.
Speaker 5: I doubt it would be a self reproducing thing based on really Scott because we look at that first movie and how he want they wanted to do the alien. Uh you have the face hugger out of the egg. Face hugger impregnates human, Human, gives worth to alien, Alien captures human, Alien turns human into an egg, egg, spouts out face hugger face egg goes on human. When we look at this movie, he's kind of mimicking that in its own way, like you have pathogen put into man.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sleeps with woman, Woman gives birth to giant face hugger faceugger triple or something. Yeah, it's the trilobite, I think is Yeah, there's so many different stages of this life cycle I get.
Speaker 1: I think that the thing at the end was just to show what would happen if you do those experiments, and that's what happens in coment where you do those that lead to the alien ones. I think it's just kind of like a caughttionary tale of Oh, this is what if more of this happens, This is what would happen. So I can't tell you what the neomorph's doing nowadays. You know, maybe they're just hanging out there and doing their thing, but I think it's like a mini version of that. I will say too as well, just as a cheap plug. We will probably talk about this film again. Check out Geek First Day because this is a twenty twelve film, so you're getting We're not doing full reviews for those films, but you're a getting one right now. And I'm sure we'll talk about in some categories. So Geek fst Day, we're doing our twenty twelve Golden Geeks. That's our oscar Is, So it'll be this and other movies up for contention, so look out for that. But I just want to remind her before we and Patron down below if you didn't want add break get there support us lots of good stuff. So yeah, yeah, sorry, you can continue on that. I just wanted to before we were going.
Speaker 5: Glad you mentioned it. But yeah, I think as much as I love how this this movie starts, and there's certain things that characters make, like Shirley's Theron's character. I feel like they kind of they give you hope and then they just snuff it.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know.
Speaker 5: That kind of like a disappointing end to with I thought she would survive, but it only like within a thirty seconds later she just dies. So there's not much to that, but some of the.
Speaker 2: Things that she would have liked.
Speaker 1: To, yeah, I would have liked to for sure. That's a calling for me. And like, no, I'm on the Bandwagonna Taylor of hope because I'm like, I'm not like, oh, I need Vickers to survive, like because I like the character. She's an intriguing character and very interesting, and I feel they don't do as much as they could, especially with her and David. The last thing we see is hey, turn your columns on camera. He gets the engineers, he turns it off. They never interact ever again, and it's very oh, I guess when Waylan's there, but I just feel like one on one, it's just that feels like it's such an interesting thing. Lots of people have a theory that she's an android as well, Like there's lots of stuff with the Vickers sing where and they have good chemistry too, like that scene where she's intimidating him and she's like just like face palm him against the because he can't do anything right. It's like in its protocol that like I imagine, you can't just go off and start being up Vickers. So she's just like kind of like almost like an abusive mother in a situation with a child. And it's that character and a relationship with her father. I think it's very interesting. And that's a third act thing where I hate that she just dies by she gets crushes, even if it to me was David killing like something. The fact that she just dies because something falls, it's like, oh, that's that's really right, you know.
Speaker 5: That's where that's what I was referring to with the hope. Because she ejects from the pod, I'm thinking, okay, like there's hope here that she's gonna survive, she's gonna she'll she'll make it out of this. But that's where it's snuffed because no, she just runs and the ship crashes on top of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't put in the trivia. They do say that when you are in that hya adrenaline, you do just run forward, but it's still just buggs me every single time watching this movie that they just continue to run forward and then you know, uh, Shaw eventually turns to the left. But Vickers is just so I get that there's some scientific stuff behind it, but I wish, just wish there was.
Speaker 2: A different way.
Speaker 3: And it's ship is so massive that you would not be quick enough to get out of the I think to me.
Speaker 1: The problem is the ship rolls for so long. It's if it was an automatic that got it ounce right there. But they're running for like thirty seconds. And that's where I feel like, even if you can't be worth the try, and Shaw rolls though she didn't even run, she rolls out of the way, you know. So it's just I don't know, I wish there was another way to gets rolled.
Speaker 2: She doesn't until she doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting. You mentioned there is kind of a theory out there that she is an android, because obviously there's that joke that iNeST Elba has with her. But I never I never really thought about it more than that. I mean, now you mentioned it's like, yeah, she does kind of have like I guess she almost like her performance comes across as out of an android to extent, I think she may be a bit too angry or snarky relative for the ones we've seen before, which are maybe a bit more like cool and calm on on in terms of like I don't know, there's their general demeanor. But you know, obviously if she looks different, we are to believe that she would be of a different make you know, she would be different skew because it seems like the androids are like built, you know, all using the same likeness. I guess, like if I'm buying the David version, like they all look exactly the same lemons.
Speaker 5: So to counter this now, I think with her, she obviously gets asked by dress of this character like are you a robot? And she's she counters that with like, yeah, we'll go sleep with each other. But then we also know David wears the helmet to blend in or the space suit he doesn't actually need it. But then when she's about to eject from the pod, she's panicking like she needs to put that suit on because it's her life, right.
Speaker 2: And add to that too, like why would she be asleep like right when at the beginning, when David's awake the whole time, like just getting knowledge, like why would she have to do hyperd People point out the whole jacked up afterwards, like do push ups but androids androids?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's people pointing out that, and people just point out the whole thing is like it's like a programming thing to her, like she could be android, but it's like almost she has to an interesting concept.
Speaker 2: And that's something that's an avenue. I wish they went on because I just kind of see her as a wasted potential. Like I like the performance of Charlie's. I think she's fantastic. It's just like I was waiting for something else to happen, Like her interactions with David. I think those were fantastic. Again, Like it that goes down to the performance. It's just like I was waiting for an interaction with that. I was waiting for a better interaction maybe with Whalen. Like we just get to this whole point and she's just like a disregarded child and like that's just been her thing, that she's just never been a good enough child in her father's eyes or whatever it might be. And then she just gets crushed by the ship at the end, Like it just seemed like a lot of a waste to like we could have just had, you know, like the tough what's even her position because she's not the captain Actually I dresses the captain.
Speaker 1: She's just yeah, the company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's kind of like heading the mission though. Yeah, I think she still has a like clearance level over him.
Speaker 1: She does. Yeah, but she also didn't have to go because Whalen says that he's like, oh, I'm surprised you actually came out, So she could have just hired somebody, right, It's not like Walen's that, hey, you had to do this. I think she just had to do this for X, Y and Z. But she definitely has the higher ranking than everybody. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I almost feel like it would make more sense if, like the theory would be that she is like unknowingly and android, like like somehow they've like, yeah, this model is advanced enough that they maybe don't know. But then it's like, well, that's never gonna be ever explored in another movie again, so like what's the point of really even breaking it down at that point? But that's interesting. I would go team She's human if I had to pick, though.
Speaker 2: I would as well.
Speaker 1: I think so too, I think, because I think it also makes the dynamic better with her and David that Waylan kind of appreciates this created like hand created son versus your actual natural born daughter, and there's that actual hatred there. But I like it as like a like a you don't know. That's how I take it in when I watch, like, oh, could we be either way? I like the unanswered question.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting that he at the start of the movie, David calls her mother and then at the end she calls way than father, right, so like that could be the angle, yes, like the creation, like does she mean father's in creation or father is in uh.
Speaker 1: Like bio biologically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I like that. Yeah, and I think so. And I think the writer has said that he didn't intend it that, like not intent like it has to be that. But there's fun charts of the pros and cons list, and I kind of like that. But again, all in all, I just wish there was whether she's human robot, just a better end to that story. It just kind of feels like she's an afterma And I don't know if I had anything to do with so originally she was. I'm throwing all my trivia Earlier she was cast as Shaw, but then she had scheduling conflicts and couldn't be Shaw, so that's where they reduced to Roll to Vickers. So that's why I also wanted that too. But it's just like, well, we only got Charlie's for this amount. I still think there's a better way to do it again. I still think even like David, I don't know, killing her, but something like him being setting her up in a way to say, when he kind of set up hall Away, I think there's more interests there, like some way. And that's where somebody just strikes me and says, ah, did they have her? And then it's like a we only actually got like a week after Charlie's, Like I just that it got crashed, like this is a big death for like it's a you know, it's a it's a cool visual moment, like the scale of its massive, you know, like they do a great job make you feel like man, like your your heart sinks. But I wish there was more. But yeah, it's a fun character and I think Charlie is uh is good. I always want to know more about her.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean I was thinking about that too, Like at the end of this, if she were to survive that the crash at least, like, what would she do from there? Like, I like, maybe there's some tech, maybe she could get a message out or you know, a distress signal of some sort, but more than likely she would get fucked up by the neo more and then like maybe that would continue to cycle or something. But it's like I don't I don't think there's maybe there's food on this planet, but I think the idea is that like the engineers have like intentionally kind of killed this planet to something. Yes, life on it, right, So I don't know what she would have done.
Speaker 5: The life pod, right, that's two years of life and that's prolonging your death that's gonna come.
Speaker 1: So there you go two years? Or does she just catch a ryot with David and uh, I guess that probably pretty solid electronics and until I get a message out, but who knows.
Speaker 3: Like they're really far away from civilization right, so.
Speaker 2: Well they were they were in cryo sleep for what over two years? So if anyone's gonna come savor like they gonna leave now.
Speaker 1: Hooped, But you might got to put speed on that. She's the whaling air, right, so you can get a big bank if you find a way, But.
Speaker 3: Then you have whoever is next in line after her, and maybe they you know David, they try their best to hide that so that they can kill.
Speaker 5: Like Burke, they're turning the camera.
Speaker 1: Off and that's like not not to like not to like like tangent Us. But that's I'm so curious what the Alien TV show us because that's the movie, and then we know what Romulus is. But like the Alien Earth one, it's like, I feel like they're gonna have some of these dynamics. I'm not saying they're going to tie into Prometheus in Covenant, because I think they might pass those by. And that's gonna say you're talking about like why did he go this route? I think it's just like because like also, you had the two a VP movies, which like the Action once and then he had all those sequels. I just don't know what more. And he felt that way too, because the people don't know Neil blomb Camp. He was working on an alien movie with Signorey Weaver and they're bringing back Hicks and everything, and they're bringing back Newt and they were gonna do just a sequel from after two. They're gonna ignore all the other ones and do that sort of thing. And I think, for whatever reason, you know, pro con because some people wish they got that instead of this. I think he just didn't feel there was any more to explore, like in the future and even the eighties. Remember he was pitching like, if I come back, I really want to tell like the how they were creat So I think for him as a creator, he just didn't feel like the sequels as cause, and I kind of agree with him. Once we had to three and four, it's like, there's not more you can really there is more you can do, but I guess it just wasn't the wasn't worth the risk of those movies. I don't think they added enough to be like, oh, these sequels really feel like we need to expand the story. I think Aliens I'm fine with, but then the rest of them, I just go, well, is there any move forward? Because even Romulus, like I'm excited, but like, even look at Evil DEVI with, he just does like Eield dead again but updated and a bit more gnarly and whatnot. I think this is gonna be what Alien Romins is. I think it's just gonna be like alien aliens put together with a new fresh coat of pain. I don't think it's gonna be about maybe a couple.
Speaker 3: Of Easter eggs in there that the fans can like really dig into in terms of what it means for the Greater Loure.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, I think really Scott, especially at that age, want to talk about creation and what does it mean to be a faith person versus a science based person, where I don't think rominss is gonna do that. I think Romins is gonna be gnarly, let's fight and escape some aliens. So I think that's just why he wanted to do this, just try.
Speaker 5: To make people question their gods.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 4: And I'm my favorite scene, not that none, Okay, one of my fas I will say my favorite, but one of my favorite scenes is when David's talking a Holloway and he's like, well, why did you create us.
Speaker 1: Just because we could? And he says, wouldn't that be so disappointed if you got that answer? And that creates such a dynamic where we think about God like for us.
Speaker 3: If we think about his response to that too, of well, you can't get this a good thing. You can't get disappointed, then, is it? And David I all conversation out. I love that conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good. And what I love in that thing too is before he poisons Halloway, he like checks with him. He's like, would you do anything to get your answers? And he says yes, there, Well let's toast that. So it's almost like if Halloway said no, he wouldn't have done it. Like that's like because there's like a distinctive thing there. And that's what I love about all these humans, same thing. We talk about life and death. But when they get the answer of you know, one they were just created because the engineers could and two the engineers looked at humans, says ah, this was a mistake. We screwed up. So it's like somewhere like let's say right now twenty twenty four, we have creators that are watching us. You know what, this is a fail experiment. Let's just exile this and start over. So that's what I I love those questions where I don't think if you move forward an alien and it's just you're fighting the Zeno more fucking covenant, I don't think you can get those and rownless. I don't think you're gonna get those either. It's not gonna be what is my place in the world. It's just oh, this guy, there's a I'm pregnant with any alien again?
Speaker 5: You know that topic of conversation there, it's I think it's it's a great scene and yeah, my go Fastbener just fucking kills it. Uh Now there's It makes me laugh because you have Guy Pearce's kind of dialogue with Shaw where he's like, oh, what would I can't remember his name, but what would he do? You know he died, but we're so close to talking to them and asking hill Wallay, Halloway died, what would you do now? Like we're so close to ask a supporting question human history? Yeah yeah, yeaha like we found them alive. And then Shaw goes to tell that to the captain. I just alba literally she says the same thing and he just he turns her. And I love this so much because he's like, I don't care, yeah, and I think that's great.
Speaker 1: And then because that shows the ideologies where we talked about that like on After nine like that, like that's where I am religious wise, where I'm not I can't remember what the term is. I'm not like, A, no, yeah, I'm not a non believer in God. I'm not believing in God. But in that situation of that, k you meet your creators or I can get out of here. I don't need that question answered. I'm gonna go live my life. So irisselfa I like, but he's like, yeah, I don't give a fuck about this, let's just leave. But she and her husband are very faith based or they want to see this through, right, And that's where iris Elba is just like the greater good for him and his crew. They still sacrifice himself. But why does he do that so that won't go to Earth or wherever and mess everything up? Yeah, exactly right. And that's where you see between David, between Whalen, between Holloway and Shaw. You don't get them vicars, vicars just there for the money, that's what she gets about. But iris Alva, you see about four to five different points of view that are on this same topic in question.
Speaker 2: So fucking h what's the name. Sean Harris's character too, he's just there for the money. Yeah, just there for the money, fucking friend. Whatever he says to Buddy.
Speaker 1: Think about that acid melting glass and glass like just it goes, it merges with your face. That has to be.
Speaker 5: When the black goop then like splashes on you too, Like it's just horrible.
Speaker 1: When he comes back later, his body is like folded up, it's just like horrifying.
Speaker 5: Oh like that gate lowers and you stand. You go out there and you see him and you think, okay, we'll run like that, well, yeah, who put the body here? You have to do so that this fucker got here on his own and he's in exorcist mode.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, it's not good. I think both this and comment they suffer from some people not making the smart decisions, like the scientist being like hey, little guy, like what a fucking idiot. It's just like the second I don't understand. I wouldn't understand.
Speaker 3: Piles of bodies all around this fortress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but even if it comes up, it's just like that snake thing, Okay, but when it like spreads and like you're like okay, no, let's get darn yeah level exactly. Yeah, but it is scary when you have him on the calm and he's just like it's breaking my arms, breaking around, and then you get that snap and then they use the break arm to like go up there and just goes in his mouth like that. I hate the horrifying scene, just awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just goes to zero to one hundred and like instantly, and then like this, like the score just terrifies you too because it's so intense. And then you have Sean Harris's character is just like I don't want to touch it. It's like just fucking cut it off, like cut the whole damn arm off at that point.
Speaker 1: And then if you've seen Alien, you just know like, oh, the cutting is not gonna help, you know, like it's the only gonna do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it didn't, It didn't.
Speaker 1: It made it worse for Sean Harris. He could have left, He should have just left him.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately for him, they bonded though, you know, you say he didn't want a friend. He died with a friend in that day.
Speaker 1: God, what a terrible situation too. You're on this plane you don't know, and they've lost coms. I've told you just to hang tight for a night, geez.
Speaker 3: Then the captain's off just banging together captain leaving you in the dark too. Like that.
Speaker 1: That was Savage from Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Even at least they did leave on their own their own free will, right, Like they could have just stayed with the crew. I don't know how they didn't find their way out of there. I guess I guess it's an amazing happens. And people got out the really fast in the hurry. I guess they had David. Maybe he's like a nice compass to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did they get lost? I feel like, did I miss that? Or they just they just got missing.
Speaker 2: They're just dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they just see something and then the crew's like on a different way and everything like that, and they're just like like.
Speaker 2: Oh, look a little When we go to them now, because it's like like our main crew gets to the ATV's whatever, they are like, oh, they must have left already. So like their vehicle was just gone, but they weren't on it, right, like, like, is that what happened or was there only ever two vehicles?
Speaker 5: Well, they caught up there was like a big tanker that was ahead of them, and then they got on the two ATV squad things and you see them catch up to the big tanker rig. So I think they assumed they were inside.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, okay, that makes sense. It just goes to them and yeah, like storm is like it's been happening. It's not like it just happened, like it's been happening, and checks with them, and they're like, they find just a fucking pile like mass of these old aliens nightmare fuels. They're down deep chambers that they never should have been in. I feel like I would have been right at like the waiting room, and just like I'm not going any deeper into this. I don't know how much that would have held. That little worm probably still would have found them, but well, the note it's boring in that day.
Speaker 5: The note of the worms. So they get the ping and I just goes in the comma says, hey, we got movement that's up ahead, and there they made the decision to go the opposite direction where the worms are, back where they came from. Are we supposed to assume that the movement that it was up ahead was just more worms?
Speaker 1: I think so, or just more because they they go like, oh, it's a glitch, I think, but I think it was more stuff like that, which you know, better directions given in the first Alien movie of.
Speaker 5: That way, don't go that way.
Speaker 1: At least at least Charlie and him could have like got it on the deck so he could have like kept an eye on them, you know.
Speaker 2: But the thing with the worms too, I definitely didn't catch us in the first viewing, which I'm assuming those worms were like the little earthworms that they step on, right, and then they just mutate. Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: They kept emphasizing the little worms going into like the black ooze once the pressure in the.
Speaker 2: Room changed, so you know, that changed like a high evolutionary.
Speaker 1: Should have stayed up, you know, should have should have stayed up.
Speaker 2: So should have stayed up? I mean what do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Like not gone down there, like like they've not done any of this, like they should have liked like like I they do find their makers. I guess something got their answers and everything like that. They get the space shockey, which was.
Speaker 2: Like the I was gonna say, can you imagine like meeting your maker, like this is your meeting the person or I guess not him individually, the people that crafted you and the fucking decks you in the face with like a haymaker. Just George Foreman, right, like right, power, and the kisser like man liter roll punch to the face.
Speaker 7: Believes, well, that's why I shaw. She sees that and she's like, I gotta know why they wanted to kill us, and I saw that punch and everything. Let's talk about engineers because they have quite the lore where this is where I feel like the community divides, because you got the space Shockey in the first Alien and for decades I was like, what's the deal with this thing?
Speaker 1: What's under there? And ridge of the design was to make them look like that, like they're dark girlmost elfin like. But then they I think they just didn't like it, and they say, well, let's make that Dexo skin and then they decide on these very big kind of you know, I won't say godlike, but definitely more alien type. Yes, absolutely, that's one the beginning. My goodness. Yeah, I don't want to see those UFC fights they got on that planet. That's like some of the best fights in the world. But yeah, which the beginning. I still it's still like it we have one that kills himself and then you move forward and then you have this one who is the space Jockey or something like that. They you know, it at least explains. Okay, what is the spacehographer in the first Alien? It is exoskeleton too, our creators, And yeah, what do you guys feel about the the engineers is kind of our gods here their look, you know, some of the story we get here, et cetera.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's pretty cool. I like the I think the opening sequence of this movie is is really neat. I think it's it's not too long either, Like I feel like it just sets the scene in a pretty good way. But yeah, I guess for me it was it was fun to kind of put those pieces together since I'm kind of watching all these back to back, which I didn't do the other times i've seen Prometheus, but to see those kind of connections and kind of getting more understanding more of how that works. So yeah, I think it's I think it's interesting. I think it's cool, like the sequences when they're kind of comparing the DNA and wow, there's so this is a perfect match with our DNA we come from them, Like all that stuff is is pretty interesting to me. I feel like I still just have so many questions though, and that's where I'm like a little on settled, and I'm curious to rewatch Covenant here and get some of those questions answered. But for at least what's here, I I'm into it. I think it's all good fun world building lore.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I quite like them too. I like the opening because it like it sets up that he took the goo and then that like like what happened there, Like did he change his DNA there? Like for us, is that what that scene was or.
Speaker 1: Is just yeah, I think so himself he saw the humans, He's like, oh my god, look what we created. No, I think the natras like he's like like a seed to the planet for doing it, like to start something, you know.
Speaker 2: That's what I that's what I took it out because they show like the cells starting to kind of Yes.
Speaker 1: He's been given the directive of the chosen One, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so I I like it. I like the designs of everything. I do. Like the Exo seats, Exo suits. I love that they're just huge too, like not just shredded and like the definition their muscles, but just really large. Yes, that whole aspect because it makes like the like the scale of the ship just massive, right, because like especially when they first get there, they they don't know how deep these caverns go or anything like that. And then you just see these holograms of these things just running around and be very very trippy, especially like it's one thing to go to another planet that's amazing in and of itself. But you get there, you find these structures and they're like, I can't tell if this is natural or not. I think you have hollow it. That says the line like God doesn't draw in or Creighton then like straight lines. He like he like makes the note that like this is probably crafted. You do all that, you find these caverns that look like they're crafted, But then you see like a hologram of an actual humanoid, like that would just blow your mind. And then and then and then you see the damn thing, and like, if you are a believer in any type of religion in that moment, like that just would probably shatter your whole realm of existence, right Like it forces you to rethink it because it's not just all what if? Right, like, it's right in front of you. The evidence is right in front of you. And I think, what's his name? Milburn and Sean Harris's character Byfield or something like that whatever his name was, uh, like going through and this is when they find the whole bodies and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, is that real?
Speaker 2: It's like, of course, it's fucking real. Like it's like it's right fucking there. And yeah, they're just like in disbelief because a lot of these characters like they were in it for the paycheck, right, and they're like, I don't think we're gonna find anything here, Like these scientists are on this pipe dream, but then they get there and it kind of forces them to rethink. And I did like that they actually talked about those concepts of like the belief, like that is a big thing, especially with our main character Shaw, like right, like she's kinda like she she's always carrying her cross with her and David is asking her about that and like just questioning the whole belief aspect of it and how she just throughout all this like she I can't remember if it's with Holloway, but it's like okay, like I'm a believer, but if these are craters, like do you believe in God? Well, it's like then who created them?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like like it like it's just this never ending thing, and I like that they pose those questions in the film itself. I think the issue with me with the engineers is it's just I was waiting for like a nice, shiny, easy palatable answer on like what all this was. And maybe that's the point, is that you don't actually know their full their full uh motivations. Like they just they just hated us. They hated the way we look or something. We're not as chiseled as them. They don't like our paunches that we got, so they just they just send these worm things to take out Earth. Like I maybe wanted a little bit of a nicer answer, But uh, I do like the design of them. I like their Yeah, the just their whole design across the board with the ships them and how we kind of get things revealed through like David being like a little little sneaky being a little sneaky like like Sniegel and just doing his own things and he's just like doing these these little button presses. It's like, Okay, this guy's got like GTACH codes right now, and we're trying to just figure out where we are in this room. So I like all those moments. But yeah, with the engineers themselves, I like it it's just I feel like I was wanting maybe more answers. But do you think that that's the point.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that. I feel like that's it might be a cop up, but I feel like that's the point because they're kind of trying to make a god like comparison where it's like you can't get all those answers. It's the same way as like enough, you know, because even even the movie ends with Shoppy like we're gonna go get our answers, right, and you know, we'll see what happens to the next one. But that's where I feel like there's it's almost like so far because again, you could meet all the engineers, but like they talk about who created them, and it's like, do all the engineers feel that they need to go? Is there like a divide? Even then between the engineers is like half the community like, well, we don't need to genocide these things we created, right, And then you have David on the other side starting to create these things, and he is like a so like to these not that they would have that, but there's like a god like complex for him, right, and it's uh, it's it's all interesting stuff. And the David stuff. I I love that he's doing all he's He's on like a side quest. Well everyone's on like life goes to hell Maine mission, but he's just like, I'm gonna see what this does and see what that does and everything.
Speaker 5: So we all finished crookha.
Speaker 1: Geek first, Well, no, I think we had a couple more what them.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed Geek first, Big Eyes.
Speaker 1: Let him go live on air. You're out, Kirkleam.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So getting a little bit more deep dive into the engineers. It's it's quite something because you really don't know anything in that first alien movie. And it's interesting interesting what you said there, Travis, about just their exoskeleton and just what they were underneath.
Speaker 1: No one was thinking that. No one was like everyone was thinking it was that thing like that was stuck on the ship for years, and I think everyone did think that was like the origin the alien or the xenomorph, Like, who knows. I wasn't around. There's probably no boards. I don't know if people talked about that. Were they like the people that experiment on them, or were they another type of alien or something. I would love to hear the conversations back in the eighties.
Speaker 5: I saw a quote from an interview with Ridley Scott where he actually talks about why the engineers were going to destroy humanity. And it's interesting when you look at in the context of the film, because you have many different cultures after humanity was created where they're pointing to the same star system and there's a giant being. So you know, okay, the engineers clearly visited humanity multiple times. It wasn't just hey, we created you and now we're going to go destroy you. So the engineers have visited Earth many times connected with humanity. And now what Ridley Scott was implying was that he was he didn't say the name, but he was infroning that Jesus Christ was an engineer that humans. It's Roman times two thousand years ago. You've seen that. Yeah, so what happened? I'd be curious, but yeah, I don't really need it. But they crucified him. So they sent an engineer down to go deal with humanity, and humans crucified him. And so that's why.
Speaker 1: These big giant yeah.
Speaker 5: Have like ten thousand humans grabbing them.
Speaker 1: And do this engineer and have the long Jesus hairsault too.
Speaker 5: He's turning water into wine. He's given them his crowd. He's having a big table, big teaste.
Speaker 1: What do we do?
Speaker 5: His bosses did not give him the proper like run down on like, hey, go down to Earth and just you know, talk to them, and they just.
Speaker 2: They just watching this whole thing. They're like, yeah, we're taking them out. We're totally taking these people.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like Ridley's telling, how does the engineer look like? Like, if he's trying to compare it to our Jesus, how would the engineer end up looking like the photos that we know of Jesus supposedly big beer, long brown hair, the robes, Like, no engineer that extoltz unless they just lied about it. But yeah, like i'd love from now one of Jesus always was like ten feet taller than everybody in these photos. You know. That's I think that's why I'm glad he took it out, because that's too all. Like, I think it's better to talk about our stuff on a psychological level than like a potential literal level. Of people have an idea of what Jesus could be, which again it's some some of it could just be all stories. But I think that's tougher for me to grasp, like, well, you know, these engineers, one of them was Jesus.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting thought though, Taylor, that they would have come to Earth multiple times, because it's like man, one of the odds that they land on Earth the same time that the predators there are doing some training.
Speaker 5: And well, that's why they had to eliminate the humans, right, because the predators took over and or worshiped as gods. They're like, no, we're the gods, right, So I.
Speaker 1: Don't recall that and go around. I would love to see an engineer versus a predator though, because they're they're tall guy.
Speaker 3: Like alien versus predator versus engineer box office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like engineers are probably taller than predators, right they are, Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Like ten feet tall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see that on their skeleton. Is probably not as exciting because it's pretty just.
Speaker 3: Like the skeleton probably looks about the same. It's just yeah, really bubbly muscles that they have.
Speaker 5: I don't know how uh, I don't know how accurate this is, but this is a random thing. The predators and engineers were very combative against each other, and so the engineers put safeguards in place so preaders couldn't use their technology, Like the flutes that initialize their systems were designed specifically so predators. Predators couldn't use it. Predators invented technology. He'll mimic the sounds of their life forms for that very reason as a workaround. I don't know, this guy sounds like he's just speaking out of his butt.
Speaker 1: Well, I wonder I would let Rickson signed Wayland Bishop the second, But like at the same time, because I don't know if there is there is comic books with the engineers, so that could be some more from that. And that's where even if it wasn't even Earth, I still I guess that's why I like the orgin of the actual aliens. I can buy, like, think of the things we do right now, everyone's like, hey, don't do AI. Don't do those videos where you make the robots and you're like punching them because eventually you're just gonna turned there. I can buy that, whether it's predator, the human race, whatever it may be, that the engineer engineers feel that they need almost like a weapon of mass destruction in a sense, right, And this is and that's where for me it also works too, especially you know, for your guys maybe like the Alien versus Predator, it almost makes sense that the aliens are type like they're their original design was to be a weapon, you know, like the idea of what they become is more you know, David mess around, but the idea of we even see that where I'm like, they are used there. The engineers are using this planet to create weapons. And that's what I do. I look at the alien be like, okay, I could buy that as this is a weapon. And if this is whether you like they or not, because I get people that just striped don't like the engineers, and then it's a tough movie to like. But for me, if it's like they're this race and even then, okay, they hear these predators are out there, they're worry about these clans. Like imagine too they go to one up planet where they drop Royce there, they just drop like all these fucking things on that. There goes the predators, like there goes a bunch of clans, you know that they so and I think it's like a good I don't think they dive deep into but it's like an allegory for nuclear warfare in our life, right, And I don't think that's like a big plot point here, but it's enough where as humans we did it. We created bombs that could take our entire countries or millions of people, right, So it's like it's not at the realm possibility. These things that created life would also want to create some reassurances for their people and everything. And I like that explanation of yeah, they killed this planet because I ourself talks about that like that's smart. Why would they want to create all these weapons and potential life ending threats where somewhere they live. They went somewhere completely out, So all that stuff works for me.
Speaker 3: For the engineers, I'm curious to We've mentioned a couple of these things, but what are your as other kind of big issues with the third act? Specifically? What are some of those things.
Speaker 2: I mentioned my issues with, Like Charlie's ire what was her name? Vickers? I just I felt like it was wasted potential with the character. It might be a little hyperbolic, but I don't know, that's kind of how I feel like. It just seemed like we could have gone such a better We already laid out, like the potential of her struggling with like, am I an ex I makna type? Feel like, yeah, that one I laid out too, how I felt a little I wanted maybe more answers with the engineers. And it's funny because like on the other card, maybe if I get those answers, they're terrible and it's like, man, I wish they kept a secret. So it's like, I don't know, I like, I'm just choosing to not like that that reason. Exactly. What else?
Speaker 3: There's one I think we haven't mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there was one we mentioned that we went on a tangent and I'm going, I'm trying to think of it.
Speaker 3: Is it potentially because I felt like, man, the captain really put a lot of trust in what she was saying to just sacrifice and kill himself along with the p I don't know if I don't think I really have an issue with that, but it did seem like a little a little quick for him to just believe her on that and sacrifice himself. I love that shot of the ship just disintegrating against the engineer ship, like just clearly the difference in tech level there of like the armor of that thing. I thought that was cool.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: His uh his little first mates there where those are like Rider Die homies, Oka like they feel like no thought like yeah, we're doing this, let's let's let's pop off right here.
Speaker 3: They accepted when they landed on this planet that this is the last planet they were going to step foot on.
Speaker 1: And I think for me, it's a general. There's one other thing I hopefully they'll come back to because of my notes I just got trivia. I think it's a general that there's a big ramp up with her being pregnant. They do the whole surgery, which brutal scene greatly. I think they build it up very well, but I think it's like an instant they halt the movie because Whylan comes back, and then they have the conversation with Sew and it feels like it it slows down and then it ramps right back up again, and not like a kind of pace that way with your jog, and it just feels like they just stop and it feels like all the threats are just kind of gone. She's sued up and she talks about herself about like the differences, so they have the there's stuff in there. I like, but I think it's the pacing of you know, the whatever what is it called to the THI but or the theobite or whatever trill bite like. I like that. I like the sequence, but I'm not sure if I would reorganize it. And I don't know if you can because you have to make it grow. So could get the engineer, which I like that scene too when it's there, And again Tara talk about first episode, lots of sexual imagery with this thing, you know, so I enjoy portions of it. I think it's just how it kind of is spaced apart. It just feels like act one, Act two flow the complete entire time. I think, very well, where that oh, and here's the other part. That's what I remember. Okay, when we're talking about Halloway, for me, I find it very odd that David for the whole movie is very secret, and then the entire third act he's just letting Sew know that he's fucking everything up, and it doesn't track for me of what we had gone with David before. He's making mistakes that are kind of on purpose, and Shaw jumps from is this robot questionable to He's a part of everything because he says something about I'm watching your dreams and like that could be odd, but I don't know why. Seaw they make her, they make her know what we know, but she's not been told any of that. We as a viewers know Dave's been doing X, Y and Z, and I think he makes some sort of day at Hallway too. But it's also just like, why would David want to be poking despair right now, like trying to tempt her to be like, hey, like, you know, I might have done some stuff. I can't remember the exact line, but he just kind of shows his cards. And I never understand that from the character's point of view, because they end up back together at the end, right, they end up like we're gonna go on a venture, and you know, we're the only people we got. So it's I don't know, it's odd almost to think that stuff, you'd say for a sequel. She's with him and then she suspected man this whole time he's been messing with me. It just he doesn't have a It doesn't get addressed directly because he gets his head taken off.
Speaker 2: So that was it one, And like even before all that happens, like she knows that David wanted to have her pregnant, and she like he was preventing her from like trying to get this fetus out, and he's like, no, you're just gonna go to sleep, like you're just gonna hyper sleep, which is fucked up. And like, I feel like if I get out of that situation, which she does, she performs her own Cesarean section, which is just fucking crazy. That's a whole wild scene in and of itself. But then like like I get it Waylen's back, but like next time, like it just doesn't seem like she's that mad at David overall of that, and I feel like that is pretty clear that like he even if you don't know everything that he's done, like it is kind of as you mentioned Trevs, like like he lays out his cards right in front of her. Later on, it just seems like it doesn't really the.
Speaker 1: Line that's the line that's he just throws out there, which I never understood because they take off their helmets when they're with Whalen and she goes, well, I don't know if we want to do that because Hallway got sick and he looks or he says, that's not what got him sick, but then he goes back on to his like he doesn't continue, like, then just do the full reveal of I expect, like I know there's time and place, but it just feels weird for him, like that's not how it happened. And then he goes right back and it's like, why would even say that? Why would he even just insinuate that he killed your husband? Right, So it's it's odd in that moment where I feel like David, even as the creator guy, would be way more just focused on the engineer and focus is going on now, but he still has this like weird back and forth with Sean. That's where I think it's just the third act where maybe there is a time and place for that, but it was the pacing of when they drop those reveals. It didn't make sense of the halt, and then we have Walan back and I don't know, maybe there's a version of us better without Whalin's too, Like there might be a like there might be something of Shaw just wants to find out, and David could give that speech about Hallway still want to find out and that way it works better if it's just her and David there. So there could be. It would make sense why there's more conversation where waveling, like he's there and he gets like you said, he has punched, he dies. It's like it's kind of like a like a fart, which it's like a cloud far. But at the same time, I think they're trying to show some sort of he's an arrogant guy that just thinks he can get away at this and this guy's gonna give him life, and that could be another reason why these engineers are disappointing them, right, Like, you can't even accept that you're gonna die. You're doing this whole expedition just to not for the betterment of mankind, just a betterment of so whalan can live longer?
Speaker 2: Right, so you could live with your own failure. Where did that bring you back to me? And then he just fucking decks him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, tear any notes on the engineers how they feel it thanos because he owns them. Is there any any notes there yet? Ah?
Speaker 2: You should.
Speaker 1: That's a question for maybe alien versus avengers. Well maybe in the comic books, you know, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I I like all your thoughts there. I feel like I would need I don't I like need to watch it again from that perspective, because I feel they didn't have issues with those scenes. But what you're saying there makes a lot of sense. I I like what you were saying too, but like the pacing shift there from the surgery section just into like the end and stuff and then kind of just splitting it up with the Whalen stuff. I wonder if they felt when they were making this that that reveal would be like as big of reveal as like the alien at the end, Like people are so nostalgic and know so much about this that they're like, Whalen's alive, Like he's set up at the start of the movie, like with the hologram, so it's like he's he's there, put in front of you. But I like, I don't think it it comes across as strongly as they wanted it to in that regard. But maybe it's also just a pacing thing of yeah, we're gonna have like a ton of intensity for like twenty minute, like we need something in the middle that kind of slows the movie down a little bit, perhaps especially because that that surgery scene is so freaking intense. So yeah, that's that's a good point for sure, because I don't think Whalen has like a huge impact. Like if I'm ranking my favorite characters in this movie, he doesn't really track in the in the top there. I mean, he's not in it a whole lot. It's must be like a last minute reveal kind of thing. I mean, I like the the idea of course that he's going through like whatever means necessary. Similar to how Charlie's like, I'll do anything to get this information, he feels very much the same way. Whaland is where he'll put all of his resources. He doesn't care who dies in the process. He just wants to meet the people that made him and he'll do anything to get there, which is great. But as you guys talked about there, but the I think maybe my favorite section in this is the surgery sequence. I just think it is so freaking well done. It is so intense, it is disgusting, it is terrifying, It is pays super well the sound effects. I think her acting in that like she just sells it so hard. So yeah, that sequence is just fantastic and gross.
Speaker 1: So it's very gross. Yeah, and I think it's like a good makes clearly the things cgi I think they do their best to make it look good. There's some practical stuff there where on the actual set. They like filled up a condom so that when they cut it would have like that same kind of bursting effect and everything.
Speaker 2: So it is with these alien movies. Eh, what always a condom? With these alien movies.
Speaker 1: I think it makes sense the way they make them. Yeah, I guess. I think it's the way that makes sense or because they're like in this Yeah, and plus like when you tie it and like a condom that is filled up, it's like a like a ballue, like one of those like water balloons in the sense by the fact they don't want to use water balloons because it would just pop easy, right, So with a condom, they're supposed to be protection. But that's what I was gonna say. Don I think your hunters right on the Whalen thing. I think they thought that was gonna be big, which is odd because I remember you watched in the first time.
Speaker 3: Nothing like it.
Speaker 2: It's no, but it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not like a huge monolithic secrets.
Speaker 1: But I feel like they kind of showed their hand because they multiple times have Fastbender and Charlie's be like what did he say? I remember even the first watch like, oh, so Whalen's not this guy's not dead, he's he's there, So it was it was an odd choice. I thought to even have scenes where him and Charlie's are talking about what he would want, and David's going back in the cancuns to go look at like, oh, look at the look at the like he has a camera on everything. It's like, why is he doing this? Because he's doing this alone and Charlie says, hey, patch me in, So he already was going there by himself. Charlie didn't send him out there right away. So yeah, it's not nothing. I think there's just like ways they could have handled a little bit better. But you know, rip mm hmmm rip RP to Whaland. Yeah, hopefully Bishop is a their job Bishop the third or whatnot? So anything else specifically we haven't talked about, did.
Speaker 5: You guys see the I guess this might have been like an alternate start with Whaland where he's kind of doing like a seminar.
Speaker 3: It's like a deleted scene, is what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Might be a deleted scene. Yeah, he's it's like young Whalen and he's talking about technology. I think he's going over the whole like Promethe kind of origins, right.
Speaker 1: I think he's deleted or they actually used Guy Pierce for a lot of like viral marketing stuff when he as young Guy Pierce and everything, which that was a and maybe that was another reason why I didn't think Whale was dead, because like, well it skuy Piers. He has to come back, right, like he's a bigger act. Like that's the thing where they kind of show their hand to him pretty well that take up. Yeah, so I like that.
Speaker 2: Old meat that's been left out too.
Speaker 1: Old war anything else? Oh my goodness. Okay, so I talked about Yeah, used Orchestra play for his compositions backwards and digitally reversed them for the final film, So very very cool. For the Alien Planet Creatures technology, Ridley Scott instructed design teamed Aim for a look that logically could come before Alien but not rely too heavily on hr Jiger's original famous art. But the exact opposite happened because they started to look at his unused art for the original Alien in and then eventually they just brought that set design the production designer back. So the new team worked with the guy did the old one, and then sadly enough he had a fatal injury I guess in twenty fourteen since last movie worked on. But kind of a fitting way that you know, he got to come back and help with that, so kind of funny. Really he's like, don't look at his stuff, and then they looked at it, and he's like, well, okay, just come just go get them back just right, because like if you're just gonna look at it, let's just get the guy that created all this stuff. So but a lot of these designs were like some of I imagine like the Needo more for like the you know, the I don't know, I doubt the engineers, but a lot of the alien designs I imagine, like the snake, were things that were original concept and ideas for the Xenomore back in the day, but they didn't use them. So talked about Charlie Saron. Yeah, she was originally cast a Shaw, which I like Natooria paced a lot so and I think again I was this point of how Vickers went. But I think Charlie did a very good job as Vickers, and I was very I like the character.
Speaker 3: A lotelebates that role that could otherwise be pretty one note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I was gonna say it too. Throughout the film, like she's just portrays this cold hearted, like asshole, like she's just doesn't care, like you know, she's willing to close the door on this crew like it's just crew expendable type of attitude. And Tell Holloway is just like just do it. You know, he's doing the man of Steel thing like don't like like just just let me have it, and like you actually see like her humanity in that moment of like I just fucking chart this man and he's just like screaming in down in front of her.
Speaker 1: Funny enough you should bring up because I got trivia know it about one. I was gonna say forgout to shout out that scene where he's looking in his eye an they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh man, very prey. Like there's some some some prey uh similarities in this film for sure.
Speaker 1: I'm just singing about the you've seen that thing. And I love the descent too, where he's in the like they're all together in the tram getting ready to go, and David looks and just says some line just like you know, like good luck out there and always just like I think this fucking robot did something like like he just he doesn't know no, oh but he just like I love Logan. Marshall Green is a very underrated actor. I talked about the show Traveler many times, the Geek. First, he was in that show that was canceled after one season. But everyone go watch Upgrade. He's and oh watch the The Invitation. That is a fucking great horror movie. He's the lead of it.
Speaker 2: And it's good.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, Okay, All is his his ex wife and and her new husband invite him to a dinner and it is a while it is. Watch it. It's a disturbing movie, lots it like. It is worth a watch. It's really good. So I'm a fan of him. Plus, he was the original Shocker in the MCU. Don't forget Anyways. For the scene where Vicker sets infected hallway on fire, Charlie's there on wild It a real flamethrower emitting real fire. She was excited to perform the scene when reading the script, but began has second thoughts upon realizing she actually setting the stuntming on fire. She ultimately agreed to perform the Sun, but the shot of her appearing shocked while setting him on fire was her natural reaction. The shot was kept in the film because the filmmakers saw it the breaking character was a good reflection of normalcy instead of the icy emotionals Vickers. So that wasn't even in the script. That was just Chart least reacting to this man on fire and they're like, let's keep this, So yeah, it was. It was a good call there, so fun note there other characters who were up for Vickers or actors was Michelle Yell and Angelina Jolie. They were discussed about and then obviously way before I'm not sure if this was before there on or after thereon dropped out for Shaw. But some of the other people talked about was Jim Arton, Caraen Mulligan, Olivia Wilde and halfway Abby Cornish and Natlie Portman were all Conserva role Shaw. So you got got going on there. I talked about Ridley his number one choice for he didn't want anyone but fast Spender, so they spent a little more on him. Uh. He won the screenplay dress for the original Alien. There was a sex swen between Ripley and Dallas to show how crew members would engage in casual sex during space travels. They never filled the scene, but Ridley had the idea to bring it back for Vickers and Janic, So I guess there's pretty probably there's a scene of Ripley and dads, like probably just beat for the exact same scene, So they brought it back. So it's kind of cool using someone from a script like almost forty years later. So Ridley Scott, this is my last point, fought bitterly with twenty Fox Century executives over including the space jockey in the original Alien. Ironically, this very character forms the nucleus of the plot for Mametheus and its sequel. I did not find I need to do a deeper dive, but I could not find interviews or reasons why he did not want to include space shockey. I would just thought they built the set and he would have been like, that looks cool. But maybe he just thought it implied like a greater world or a greater thing. He didn't want that. But yeah, I guess, And I don't know why Fox fought for it either, Like it's a weird issue where they build this thing and he goes I don't want this in the movie, and Fox says you've got to have in the movie, and obviously it spawns this movie, but I I want to look at more of why he didn't want it and why the Fox was probably thinking sequels. But yeah, so kind of funny note that it became this big deal from later on. So, uh, tayar Field, what are you gonna give this movie? What's your final thoughts in a rating? Here?
Speaker 5: Ah? Like I said before, I like how beautiful this film is. I like how it starts about some of the things that kind of unfold near the end, including like just some of the character things. I feel, well, I can believe that the chaos kind of happens really really quickly. And I say that because you have what's going on inside the ship, you have what's going on with the C section, Like, there's a lot going on that as captain of the ship, you think, I just saw it could kind of keep tabs. But she doesn't. He doesn't know that there's an alien birth out of a shaw. He doesn't know exactly well, he does know that they're going to go meet one of these things. There's just so much going on, and David's got his ulterier motives. So it's just a bit chaotic having all of these converging plots overlapping each other and kind of unfolding, and then you get just a lot of things that have unfolded in the end. So that being said, I feel like I could probably go comfortably like a like a seven point five. Again, that's me being generous because I'm not rushing to rewatch this one anytime soon, but every once in a blue moon you can put it on and it's just it's a really, really, really interesting and engaging movie to watch. And I enjoyed it when I put it on the other day just because it's been a while and just getting sucked back into this world and it's it's bold, and I you know, kudos to to really Scott for doing something that was not the classic Zeno more oriented, and something that was focused on a story that he clearly really wanted to tell for a long time, considering this debacle with the other Alien films and him being shafted with a VP and all that stuff. So yeah, I think I think that it's it's a it's got its place amongst the Zeno films, but I definitely know where I would put it amongst those you.
Speaker 1: Know films onto that for after omeless.
Speaker 2: So tell me right now, you tell us now, I will tell you right now. This movie eight point five out of ten for me. I think it's just ten out of ten opening to this film first act, fantastic performances to be expected with this many big names and faces. I remain to this day a little bit underwhelmed with Guy Pierce. I don't think I am a big guy Piers.
Speaker 1: Fan, oh like just as the actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I don't.
Speaker 1: And you've seen Memento.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was very.
Speaker 2: Let down by that film. I have very high expectations going into it. But you know, sure he's a nice guy. We'll see one day.
Speaker 1: But Time Machine two thousand got bothering you with that characters. Let's get bothering you cooking the Turtle show.
Speaker 2: So yeah, some some issues with the third acts, maybe some mispotential is like the big thing there, but world building is just fantastic for this film, and uh, Big Rids it just keeps doing it. So, uh see what.
Speaker 1: Big Rids a lot of here two for you guys, right, that's yeah next, So there you go.
Speaker 2: So exactly. Yeah, good flight Star, mister Muss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I hit a great time rere you watching this. I man, I feel like I really need Covenant to round out answer some questions for me here, But I don't know. I I I had a good time with this though it's still a lot, you know, It's not an all timer for me, but I think it is a really fun time. I'm going eight point two five, lower than Kirkland, oh, but higher than an eight mathematic respect speaking.
Speaker 1: Sorry kirkm threw me off by send me a trader for The Invitation The Vampire? Why not that's a good movie.
Speaker 3: Is there even a lot of movies called the Invitation?
Speaker 1: Invitation? I gotta confirm now this is Logan Green here. But anyway, so what I yeah, it is twenty fifteen. There you go watch that one. Uh yeah, nine out of ten for me on this one. I think if the third was a bit stronger, I get get to the full point maybe the story basically eight, but I think that nine is just for like technical stuff. Again, love the way this movie looks, sound feels. I like this is where like I hope the TV show could be like this, not exactly, but if it's like whatever, it is because it's Earth, but I hope it has a similar thing where Okay, you're not gonna have the budget of the show, but maybe just world building, facts, interesting characters. That's what I really hope can happen. And uh, yeah, no, I'm there's always like a little bit of a disappointment with me while I'm excited for us to get to Covenant, but like the there's aspects of these two movies that are just never gonna go be talked about because the box office just wasn't there for Covenant. So but I can still watch this even though this ends in like a very cliffhanger way of or need to go find the New World and find what's gonna happen. It is, So there's that where you can't really just watch it by itself. But for the most part, great film. And yeah, I don't remember the last time I watched it, but I think I returned this one every couple years. I feel like I don't want to say anything because we got a rankings episode, So like these boys said, we'll wait until Ron this in August. So until next time, the next one we'll be talking about is Covenant. The very golden Geek's Worst film nominee, So it's gonna be very interesting to return back to that. Let's see, does it hold up that way? Have we changed our tune? I don't know, find out and won't be boring.
Speaker 2: Yes,