Speaker 1: Tapes from the Dark Side contains descriptions of violence and sexuality. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: October fifteenth, nineteen seventy eight, Lawrence Bittaker walked out of the California Men's Colony of Free Man. He drifted back to Los Angeles, slipping seamlessly into civilian life. With his skills as a machinist, he was soon earning nearly one thousand dollars a week, a small fortune for his time. To neighbors, he didn't look like a threat. He was a quiet man down the street who kept to himself, but also the one who would lend a hand when needed. Some even saw him as generous. He'd donated to the Salvation Army, buy bags of fast food and bottles of wine, and then hand him out to the homeless on skid row. On the surface, Lawrence Bittaker the picture of rehabilitation, But beneath that carefully crafted facade, something far darker was beginning to take shape. January fifteenth, nineteen seventy nine, just three months after Laurence Bittaker's release, Roy Norris walked out of prison as well. He moved back into his mother's home in Redondo Beach, but freedom didn't bring reform. Within a month, Norris had already attacked again, raping a woman, then leaving her lone and terrified in the desert. By day, he blended in working as an electrician in Compton, but soon a letter arrived. It was from Lawrence Bittaker. Weeks later, the two men met at a hotel. Old prison acquaintances reunited, and in that meeting they breathed new life into a plan they had whispered about behind bars, a plan to stalk, kidnap, and rape young girls in Burbank. Norris's hotel room became something of a hangout spot, especially for local teenagers. He always seemed to have a steady supply of beer in marijuana on hand. Later he would admit to the truth the drugs and alcohol weren't for him, not really, They were baits, a way to make sure his rooms stayed popular with teens. One of those young girls who would hang out in Bittaker's motel room was named Tina, a woman who was tracked down by Laura Brand, the so called serial killer whisperer who we've been hearing from this season now. Tina was always with her boyfriend Steve when she was at the motel, and this kind of drove Larry crazy. He wanted her isolated to himself. The interview you're about to hear was recorded just prior to Tina's passing in June of twenty twenty three, and again it was featured on the podcast Partners in True Crime.
Speaker 3: He was hanging around the hotel, Like I said, the group I just told you about was usually who I was rip going around over there.
Speaker 1: Steve. I never left Steve's side, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you guys all go to like the same high school?
Speaker 1: Me and Dina Steve? I know Steve wasn't going to high school. He dropped out.
Speaker 3: Steve's mom kicked him out at sixteen, just before all this happened, and my mom took him in. So he was living with us at the time this happened. Wow, because there was, like I said, a group of us could be fifteen to twenty of us just in Burbank that all knew each other, and you know, we party in the park and you know, in different groups I guess would go party over there at the hotel.
Speaker 4: Michael was the one who told me that story about Steve. I like one day Bittaker said to him, he goes, do you want to write home or something? He asked him for write home, and he said. It scared the shit out of Steve because he drove him up he said San Dimas, but I think it was San Gabriel, and he just didn't say a word to him, got out of the car, just pointed a gun at him, and then just got right back in and drove him home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Steve's mom at that time lived up in Sunline and Sunlin to Hunga, and so at that time Steve would go back and forth from now staying at my house and sometimes going to his mom's. It wasn't San Gabriel Mountain. It was Sana San Andreas Mountain, Angela's Crest up in that area. I'm sorry, It's like I'm shaking inside, you know, but that's the mountains.
Speaker 1: He took him up into us. That I was told by Steve.
Speaker 3: Because it was close to Steve's mom's house, he was able to take him. He took him up there and spirits shit.
Speaker 1: Out of him.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, I'm you know it ruins Steve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I bet I absolutely.
Speaker 1: Ruined his life. It ruined my marriage.
Speaker 4: Do you think that's what happened? Is like he was just so scarred from like Bittaker, it just.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he'd come home after testifying.
Speaker 1: You gotta remember he was like sixteen, maybe seventeen by the time the childs are. I don't remember. He was a kid.
Speaker 3: We were kids, and he used to come home and I just hold him for hours while he would cry. Oh my god, you know, I mean I believe in court they had a play part of that tape again because they had a verify that's the troops he heard.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I was pretty horrific what we went through. I mean, it took me years. I used to run if I saw a silver van.
Speaker 4: Oh, I could just imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was about because he didn't like me, and I knew it, and.
Speaker 1: He let me know he didn't like me.
Speaker 4: Really, he like really made it known to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in his I don't even know how to you were you've been in a room with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has I don't even know how to put it. He has a way to get in your head. Yeah, he doesn't have to say something. You could read what he's telling you in his eyes.
Speaker 4: You know, I've actually pushed some buttons and seem like that anger come out of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got angry at me.
Speaker 3: I uh, well, I'm Italian, so I do have him about the kid back then, I you know did I was a smart kid, but I did speak my what I spoke my mind. And I do remember pissing him off several times. And I remember he got so mad one time and he said, you're grounded and you can't come back to here for a week or whatever, you know, two weeks whatever it was that he got really red.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I was scary, it was. It was scary.
Speaker 4: Well you said about when he went up to Dina and did the modeling roots like he that was like their number one rooms was the modeling stuff.
Speaker 3: And my mom educated me on you know, I mean, we had so many serial killers running around in that area of California at that time. You know at that time that you know, if you were a smart parent, you better educate your kids, especially your girls, your younger teen preteen or teen girls. Great, and my mom did you don't go walk by yourself at night. My mom taught me that it wasn't just about not getting in the car with strangers, but look.
Speaker 1: In the end I did.
Speaker 3: I Actually, my mom almost died from a heart attack when they found me, Dina and Steven penciling, and they called our parents, see we were missing.
Speaker 1: And that's when Larry got busted and our parents thought that he killed us because we were gone and missing.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So actually there was another girl that traveled with us. Her name was Andrea, Andrea Durgan. But she I don't think she ever went around Larry. She just happened to want to trail along with us. And she was only all of twelve, but she looked like she may have been fifteen or sixteen body wise. And her poor mom did drop of a heart attack when they police from Pittsburgh called her and said we found your daughter. She died of just because they thought we were dead, that he got us.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh I've kind even begin to tell you. And I mean ironically, you know, my mom kept me as protected as she could for media and stuff like that. And as the years went, well, every time Larry came up for an appeal, you know, we all went on with our lives and got married and had children, and we all moved and they always found us, you know, whatever it was every I think he had two or three appealsskus me appeals and they would find us. Next thing, you know, there's an LA District attorney again at our doors and having us relive it, you know, because there's appeal.
Speaker 1: It was his peal was coming.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know.
Speaker 2: During this interview that Laura does with Tina, Laura Brand herself begins to open up a little bit about her investigation into Larry and Roy and I found this fascinating, so I decided to leave it in. It gives us some background about Laura and what she was going through at this time in her life.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's so I started. So it was about so in June, and this year it'll be two years. And when I started the investigation, ah, so I went. I had been interviewing Bittaker Norris for about like five years, and ironically, which is so kind of weird, I got pregnant and the boyfriend I was living with I was like madly in love and he didn't want the baby, and then he tried to force me to get an abortion. I wanted to do it, so he kicked me out and I literally had about like two grand to my name, and he was trying. When he tried to scare me into an abortion, he said, you know, you just wasted your degree. You're never going to become a forensic psychologist. You'll never write a book, You'll never be able to go to San Quentin and do your interviews anymore. Like your career's over. So I took the last of my money and I flew out to San Francisco for six weeks and I was like, Okay, I'm going to interview three different serial killers, and I had picked bitager. It was. He was one of the first interviews I went in for, and at the time, I was like seven and a half months pregnant, and I was like really showing. And it was just so bizarre too, because like the three years prior I had gone in and I had interviewed him before, and I had written to him and I had tried to get him to call me, and he was just so vicious towards me. He didn't like me, he didn't want to talk to me. And but it was so weird when I got pregnant, all of a sudden, he started calling my cell phone every single day. Then when I went in and he saw me pregnant, it was the weirdest freaking thing. It was like a one eighty turn from like being vicious and just cruel and mean. And he it was five minutes in the interview. He grabbed the pen in the paper out of my hand because I was like asking questions and taking notes, grabs out of my hand, and he started drawing a map of the mountains of where Cindy and Andrea, the two victims that were never found. And I was just like a holy shit. And then he's drawing me a map of where the buried evidence was and it was just, I mean, it was like a movie. Like as I ran out of the prison afterwards, and I called a criminologist and was like I don't know what to do, Like what what the hell do I do? And he's like, go the FBI. The FBI was closed, So then he came. He said, call the district attorney, which was Stephen Kay. So I got a number for him and I started calling him, and he like didn't even believe me. He's like, he hasn't spoken in forty years, he's never given up that information. This is But finally I started calling Stephen. Talking to Stephen, he realized I wasn't like insane like Bittager. It actually he is like the nicest person in the god oh my god, yeah he really, he's so sweet and he's been helping me, like step by step on all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's literally been walking me through everything because I'm like, this is so much to take in and he's like, I told you, lord, it's a rabbit hole of a case. That I was like, it really freaking is. And just by chance, I like Bitteger had mentioned Robin Roebeck, who's like the sole survivor, and for some reason, I just went on Facebook and I was like, I'm just going to type her name in, even though it might be like a maiden name, and I found her and I sent her a message and I don't even know what to say. I was like, I don't know if you're the right person, but I'm trying to track down somebody who was a witness and a case from nineteen seventy nine. And it was like two hours later she texted me she was Bitaker and Norris, and I was just like, holy shit, I found her and she was the same reaction you had, Like it's so funny because every person I tracked down is the same reaction. It's just like, you know, because it's like a hurricane hitting you out of nowhere, because you know it's forty years Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it's being uh punched in the.
Speaker 4: Stomach exactly how she describes it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Russia's like, I mean, I'm gonna be fifty six. And I laughed because my memory it's like sometimes I can't remember yesterday, but I can remember that like it happened yesterday.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah. And that's what she said too, and she it was funny, she said, she well, she called me and she was on the phone. She was hysteric.
Speaker 2: One of the details that stuck with Tina after all these years were the photographs, dozens and dozens of photographs strewn all about Bittaker's hotel room, all of young, scantily clad teenage girls.
Speaker 3: There's more than you would probably even want to imagine because the photo, the one stock of polaroids you would have, were women posing in lingerie right like against a lot of times, it was like they were against I remember, right, a white wall, like they they were posing for the camera.
Speaker 1: Do you remember It was a lot of times.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I'm you know, they look like prostitutes. I'd say, you know what I mean, but that's what they look like to me as a fourteen fifteen year old kid.
Speaker 1: And then he'd have pictures of.
Speaker 3: Rand you know, he'd be out in front of my front of Burbank High School in my high school with binoculars.
Speaker 1: Always have binoculars in the vanag. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you remember if he ever were there any of the polaroids where it looked like a girl was in a closet or were there hangars in the background.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was, I remember that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just got really big chills. What do you remember from like the hangars of the closet?
Speaker 3: Do you what my mind is picturing is? I remember they had a picture and it was a girl and she was kind of scrunched down in a closet, you know, And I would try and look at because my curiosity. I knew that man was up to no good and I wanted to snoop, but I had to be careful because you know how he was. I had to be very careful. I would try to look at photos that he had laying around and stuff like that. I heard, and I don't even know how through this is. I'm trying to remember even who I heard it from, because really, the only person that ever interviewed me and kept me and my family informed.
Speaker 1: Was Stephen Kay.
Speaker 3: He was the only man that was allowed in my house to ask questions and tell me stuff. Somebody told me that when they went into the motel room, he had stacks of polaroids and then that one stack was polaroids that were people he was planning on taking out to kill then, And I said really, and they said yeah, and your photo was in that. I mean there was, you know, some of us were popping ALICD was you know, I'm drinking a lot, smoking a lot of marijuana, that kind of a thing. And so really it was just go to his place, get as fucked up as you can for free, and then you know, either he kicked you out or he left, you know, one or the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just smoke back then, The only thing I ever did was smoke a little weed. I was on it.
Speaker 3: I was on it watching every time I was in that room.
Speaker 1: Steve turned into a violent man after that, Oh my god, an absolute MONSTERY turned into.
Speaker 3: I kid you not, so be careful if you ever find you and meet him in a good public place. And I hate to say that I feel so sorry for him, but I was lucky to escape with my life Steve did to me.
Speaker 2: For their plan to work, Larry knew they couldn't rely on just any car. They needed something bigger, something that could trap a victim inside, and in February of nineteen seventy nine, with money from Roy Norris, Larry bought it a silver gray nineteen seventy seven gmc Vandora. The van was windowless on one side, with a sliding door large enough to swallow someone whole. Larry later admitted that when he first saw that door, he knew they could pull up close to a girl, slide it open, and drag her inside without anyone noticing. The pair gave the vehicle a name. To them, it wasn't just a van, it was their murder. Mac and Tina herself actually spent a night inside that very van.
Speaker 1: Once or twice.
Speaker 3: You know, I wouldn't go home at not you know, I want to stay the night with oh my boyfriend, you know. And there was the twenty four hour laundromat right next door to the hotel, right next door to the liquor store, and me and Steve had stayed at the twenty four hour Laundermount to stay the night together. And that particular night, you know, we were getting leaving Larry's to go to the laundermaut and that's when Larry said, well, you guys don't have to go sleep at the Laundermount. Y'all can sleep in the van. I looked at Steve like fuck now, And of course Steve wasn't listening to me, and you know, he was thinking of enjoying, you know, thinking.
Speaker 1: No, we're being a van.
Speaker 3: Nobody bother us, you know, because we risked getting arrested being underage teenagers in a twenty four hour launder maat it, you know, one two o'clock in the morning or whatever, because the Bourbon cops are really honest kids, honest teenager respect that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, you know, it was, Steve was like, come on, it's going to be okay.
Speaker 3: And I remember him taking me by the hand, us going out of the motel room, Larry following us or us following him, and then him proceeding to tell Steve he mainly always talk.
Speaker 1: Really did he talk directly? I mean he did talk directly. To me.
Speaker 3: But when I'm sure, I couldn't hide on my face fear. As much as you know you're you think you're you are, you know there's you're gonna have some. And Larry is that type of person. He could notice a millisecond of changing place. I'm telling you, I felt like he could hear my heart beat.
Speaker 4: If you had any second of hesitation, he probably instantly picked up on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you could hear your heart beat. And it was almost like he thrived off my towards you end, I was picking up like he is driving off my bear. He wants to drive me crazy. He knows, you know, he knows. You know, you know because I told you, We tried. We called the Burbank police and told him, and you know we we were too scared teenagers. We were like, you need to go check on this guy. I don't I don't know if I had the room number correct. I think it was.
Speaker 1: Room one eleven eleven, Yeah, it was eleven.
Speaker 4: And you know it's even weirder. His cell at San Quentin was one eleven. And what's even weirder is it's my birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, Well, numerology, you know.
Speaker 4: That's what everyone's like. There's some so much like synchronicity with you. In this case, he had my birthday, was the cell number we had. We have the same initials, which is even weird. Like the it's just weird little coincidences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is kind of weird how there's those little connections.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've always thought like this was like yeah, like no, I've always believed like I was meant to dig into this case, like those were like the little signs like this is what you're meant to do. It's been crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been wild.
Speaker 4: Here's what's even crazier is you saw the ice pick with the brown stains on it, right, Yeah, so obviously that had to have been blood. What's weird though, is he killed Andrea the second victim. That was like the I think it was like July twelfth. It was like really the beginning of July. He had killed her. But when he had killed her, he had stuck the ice pick in her and it got stuck in a bone and he just left it in there and just threw her body here, and then he killed Jackie. That was the beg. It was like September thirty, killed Jackie Leah, but he again he put he stuck the ice pick into her skull and left it there and tossed her. So I'm thinking, if you and Steve saw that ice pick with blood on it, like whose blood was it? Who else did he use that ice pit on?
Speaker 2: Between February and June of nineteen seventy nine, Bittaker and Norris prowled the streets, picking up more than twenty female hitchhikers. But these weren't their true targets, not yet. These rides were rehearsals, trial runs designed to perfect the ruses, to learn exactly how to make young women step into the van willingly. They were also scouting, searching for the perfect place to carry out what they had planned, and by late April they found it, a lonely fire road hidden deep in the San Gabriel Mountains. Larry smashed the locked gate with a crowbar, then replaced the lock with one of his own, and from then on that stretch of wilderness belonged to them or non