Speaker 1: We're terrible, Lorenzo, and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. Hello Kitten's welcome back to another edition of the b k MC, A supplemental edition of the PSO where we take a look at one film and give all our thoughts on it. I think that is the smoothest I know b k M c intro I have ever done.
Speaker 2: Like your hair right now?
Speaker 3: Your hair?
Speaker 2: Your hair.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a little weird.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this week's film is Little Miss Sunshine, and we before we flipped on the mics, I said to Lorenzo, I was like, I think this might be the shortest one we've ever done, the shortest b k MC podcast we've ever done. I picked this film for the lineup for this month. You know, we try and mix it up a little bit. Genres, styles, eras, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So I'm not going to.
Speaker 1: Really get into anything older than the nineteen eighties on this in this project for now at least, because it's very difficult to get people to watch old old films any and I don't want to going for a more popular right.
Speaker 2: We don't want to fall into the same cliche of like old movies, classicals and stuff. Like that, at least not for now.
Speaker 1: I never forgot a bitchy queen who was a friend of mine but it's no longer who said when our blog first launched. He was like, it's nice, but it's all like the obsessions of middle aged gay men.
Speaker 2: And I was like, fuck that queen said that. You know who I'm talking about, right, but New York queen that we don't talk about any well, of course, of course the New York queen, but anyway, that's another subject.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the reason I picked this this film is again, you know, I wanted to a range of styles and everything, but also I had seen this film once, probably around the time it came out. It came out in two thousand and six, and I really really didn't like it. And it was critically acclaimed.
Speaker 3: I mean it was.
Speaker 1: It was nominated for Best Picture, it won Alan Arkin won Best Supporting Actor for his performance in it, and that was a deserved win.
Speaker 2: But the thing is that I respect critics, I mean, believe me, I do. That's what they do, their professionists, But sometimes they get too much.
Speaker 1: Well in love with some especially around this time when it came to indie films, and this was kind of what set me off back then. It just if I I and Okay, I look at it. I looked at it in two thousand and six, I looked at it in twenty twenty six, and I had largely the same reaction, which was, this feels like a checklist of indie film markers. Like you have adorably quirky little girl, you have the teenager who does not speak that's sort of god, teenager who doesn't speak their grandfather, the grandfather who's inappropriate. Everything about it felt checked off a list and felt like something I had seen before.
Speaker 2: Everything the fat having trouble with its job, you know, it's like everything it.
Speaker 3: Just you know what.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get too deep into the weeds of my critiques yet, I want to talk about first what I liked about the film, because this is what I'm trying to get at is I picked the film to see if I could reassess it two decades later, like maybe I was wrong about it, Maybe I you know, et cetera, et cetera. So and I admit that a lot of the stuff that I didn't like about the film immediately popped up in the first twenty minutes, and I was like, shit, it's exactly what I remembered it as. But I have to say I will unpack a few things about the story as it goes along, But when it gets to the end, I was like, all right, this is worthy. This was worth my time. It was worth it spending it with these people.
Speaker 3: The cast is just the castle.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, that cast is stacked and nobody gives a bad performance. I do think Steve Carrell's Sad Gay is a bit of a It was a cliche top to bottom.
Speaker 2: It was a weird take.
Speaker 1: It was a weird take, but honestly, he was an up and coming comic actor at that time. Okay, see what it was a little and in two thousand and six it was still kind of a big deal when a straight actor played gay, So it was kind of a brave creative choice for him to make to play that character. I just didn't think he added any I mean, but it's really well acted. Everybody's great in it.
Speaker 3: I actually.
Speaker 1: It made me go to IMDb and check out Greg kinnear because I was like, what happened to him? He doesn't seem to you know, but he actually has been working. I just haven't been paying attention to what he's been.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I like about watching these movies is that you forget about these people were there.
Speaker 1: She was in everything, Yeah, for like fifteen years there. I mean he, like I said, he's still working. He he was in Marco's Got Money's Troubles.
Speaker 2: Or they're so young, you know, Like I'm like, oh my god, they're so young. Yeah, like what's his name, Poet Pole? You know, my god, he's a child.
Speaker 1: Well he's I mean I looked it up. He was like in his twenties, but he was playing a fifteen year you look like a.
Speaker 2: Fifty look like a teenager. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Abigail Breslin adorable, and Tony Kolett. Man, it just never goes wrong. If you want a harried mother, she's your gal. She is the one to play.
Speaker 2: And she does American so well, like America does America really very well. I love her since day one. Yeah, she's she's been incredible.
Speaker 1: So uh, I think it's a perfectly enjoyable film.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 1: I think it's I really don't have I'm not going to rail against it, but I will talk about what I didn't like about why it sets me off. Let me just say before I get into that, I want to talk about the story itself, which.
Speaker 2: We need to explain that. Yeah, well no, I mean if you watched it, if you're listening, watch a summary.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not giving a summary.
Speaker 2: Sorry. What I mean is, ah, he's laughing, but he wants to kill me. I know that laugh mister. No, I'm not going to sum it up.
Speaker 1: I mean, the whole point here is that we're we've all watched it, and now we're talking about it. My issue with the script, with the story is that there are times when I feel like it just didn't feel very believable. And you know, that's not the most salient critique in the world, because it doesn't necessarily have to be a believable film. But for instance, like when you get to her act at the end, her dance act, which is I mean, it's a really funny paloff.
Speaker 2: I thought it was some some other member.
Speaker 1: They all danced anyway, right, but I'm talking about her act. When you get to that, it's a great payoff. It's really funny. But you have to sit there and think they went on this entire trip and none of them knew what she was going to do when she got up.
Speaker 3: There like that. The whole film hinges on that, and the whole time I'm watching that scene, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know. Considering the family, I get that they are completely checked out on a lot of things, but I don't know that really it hinged on on something that I first out left it because it caught me completely off. It is really funny, it is really, and I give them credit for going into the joke, but not the joke never goes somewhere uncomfortable, like they never made Abigail Breslin do something where I was like, Okay, that's okay, that's al too much.
Speaker 1: It's it's relatively innocent all around. It's just you know, inappropriate.
Speaker 2: That's song. It's a song.
Speaker 1: She's slapping her ass while she's dancing and everything. I mean, it's really, really funny, and it's a shame because it's the funniest part of the film and it's the most memorable part of the film.
Speaker 3: So I just kept waiting for it.
Speaker 2: But what I love about that scene is the hypocrisy, you know, the whole hypocritical attitude of the other ones, because I mean, all these girls look like adults with all that makeup and hair and everything, and they sexualize these girls. So to react the way they reacted with what she did, it's a little too much. I mean it is. It is a little too much, but coming from where you guys come from, like dressing these little girls like like adult.
Speaker 1: So similarly, and again I guess this goes to how checked out the family is. They know the grandfather's doing Heroin, I know, so they're like, you're rooming with Grandpa Intel tonight with the little six year old girl. I'm like, what it just it helps the story if she has to go and wake them up the next morning and say Grandpa won't wake up. Yeah, everything, and sometimes those things they were really hard against the characters, because yes, they are checked out. They are not Their marriage isn't great, their family structure isn't great. They're not emotionally supportive of each other throughout most of the film. But that's a level of irresponsibility where you're just getting it and it's actually it's the same thing with Greg Kinnear's character in that scene where he berates her for eating ice cream. I'm like, all right, we're getting into full on. He's a villain here. Right, And the best way to end this story is to have her his wife walk out on him because he is literally abusing his daughter. We're watching him do that, but.
Speaker 3: It's quirky, and we forgive him.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I do think the film sometimes loses sight of how people act in real situations because it's so caught up in it's quirkiness, in its little twists and turns and everything.
Speaker 2: Guy, I hate when a script has milestones to be reached, you know, and and they use the characters for it, you know what I mean, Like instead of developing the what do you mean by that? Like like when okay, you write a script and you're like, all right, we need to do this, We need to make this point, we need to write, you know, like you establish what you need to cover.
Speaker 3: And then and then fill in the blank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you sort of like use the characters for it instead of having the characters being characters, right, you know, you know what I mean. I mean it's hard to explain what I'm science say, but instead of having characters being real people quote unquote real people and have them act like real people, you create a script that Okay, well they need to do this. The grandfather needs to die now, and then she needs to do and then something's gonna happen with the kid, you know what I mean, like, uh, instead.
Speaker 3: Of thing's gonna happen to make Paul Dano speak.
Speaker 2: Right right, And that was a bit of a I do like some of the stories I do.
Speaker 1: And like Steve Carrell they're in a gas station when he runs into his old boy what stuff like that, where it's like, Okay, I get it. It's a quirky little tail. It doesn't have to be realistic, but you are taking me out of it. I think sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was like, how they be there?
Speaker 1: The same coincidence of that is just a little bit too much for me to take that.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that was a little too much. The whole cop thing finding the porn and just letting them go and keeping the porn. Come on, it's again, it's a comedy. It doesn't have to be realistic. But I think tonally, sometimes the film doesn't know where it is where you know where it lands. Are we doing an unrealistic comedy, like a broad sort of comedy, or are we doing a quirky indie film about family dynamics? And I think sometimes it tries to do both and it doesn't work. And that cop scene is perfect example of that, where I was like, all right, you're taking out of this. I mean, if this was some goofy dumb and dumber style in my film, then fine, that scene works. But within the context of this one, right, it just I don't know. I have a loved hate thing with road movies, like you know, road Trip, I agree with. I love them in a way, I mean, but they are cliches. Those are my favorite when it comes to in the national movies, because first of all, you get to see those beautiful scenes in landscape and all that, and the characters sometimes they're rech but its.
Speaker 1: Characters also go on a journey. It feels very cliche.
Speaker 2: But it's the same. Everybody hates everybody to get on a.
Speaker 1: Car, and then by the end they all learned a pall love each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's.
Speaker 1: Take a quick break and we'll come back with some more critiques. We'll be right back. We're back talking about Little Miss Sunshine. And when Lorenzo started talking about road movies and everything, I just said to them with the MIC's off, I was like, I know, you want to mention Central Station. Well, there's Central Station is one of Lorenzo's. Well, we'll have to put them on the list. We are one of Lorenzo's favorite films. And it is a Brazilian movie from like nineteen ninety six, I think, And it's.
Speaker 2: A yeah, I think too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a road movie. It's about a woman and a boy who travel across Brazil. And it's not a comedy, no, absolutely not. That is an example of how to do a movie like that correctly and not lapse into cliche the way I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I urge everyone to watch it. So I'm not gonna we'll put it on the list for next month. I'm not gonna give it away how it ends, especially, and I love that movie because of that. You know, it's it's it's a journey. That one is a journey.
Speaker 3: It is, and it feels like an epic one.
Speaker 2: Right. So it's a beautiful movie. The scenery and the traveling, it's just incredible. It's a beautiful story. It's definitely one of my favorite movies of all time anyway. But so I do like those movies. There's so many international movies like that where people get on a car and they travel.
Speaker 1: So many American movies, yeah, and they tend to all be focused on the American West because you have all those wide open spaces. So this was Albuquerque in California, and it was all very much And that's fine, But like I said it, it feels like a cliche of indie films around two thousand and six. It feels like the exact kind of film that critics went crazy for twenty years ago. Because it checked off all of these boxes. That doesn't make it a bad film, but I don't think it's a great film.
Speaker 2: I think it's a perfectly enjoyabah. It's funny because I rewatch it. It was my second time watching it, and I have to say Paul Dana's character is my favorite.
Speaker 1: I think he's great, and I do think Steve Correll is good. I do, and I did like their scenes together, but I was like, there's something very dated about the sad, tragic gay figure played by a straight actor. I'm just not impressed by it anymore. We act too much of like a zombie to me. You know, well, he's post suicide.
Speaker 2: I get all that, but I didn't get much emotion from him. But the lines are dead on. I really like the script, the stuff he says and related to the family and all that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do like that, but he's acting. I don't know, it's just fell off a little bit.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about what my because I haven't really talked about what pisses me without this film and what originally pissed me off about this film and it's and the reason I put it at the back end of this is because I don't want to over emphasize this critique. It affected my viewing of the film, but it is ultimately an easy one for you as a viewer to dismiss. This is my thing, whether you agree or not. We should mention that this was directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, a couple who have directed a bunch of music videos and a bunch of other films, and it was written by Michael Aren't. And I'm bringing this up because I'm kind of taking those three people to test.
Speaker 3: Here's an example. Michael Aren't, the screenwriter.
Speaker 1: He said he chose the iconic YELLOWVW bus for them to drive in and for it to constantly break down because that was the bus his family. It was like thirty five year old bus at the time of two thousand and six. And this is my issue with the film is that the aesthetic of the film is completely off. And I said this to you last night, well while you were watching it, we watched it separately.
Speaker 3: I said that family would not have that. He would not have that van. He's such a striver and he's so image obsessed and success obsessed. He would, you know, mortgage his house to have a fancy car. He would not have a thirty five year old van like that.
Speaker 2: And especially the van falling apart, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I know they don't have money. I get that, But this is my issue with the film is the clichde way they indicate that this family doesn't have money.
Speaker 2: And it's very clear that they don't have money right now. But look at the house. I mean, look, well, that's my.
Speaker 3: Problem with the house is.
Speaker 1: And this was my problem back then. I was like, that's not what poor people look like. I'm sorry that not in two thousand and six. Let me just say in two thousand and six, that was about when we were furnishing our home. I mean, we were ten years into our relationship at that point, but we were in that mode where we were decorating and that sort of thing. And we live in a section of the Philadelphia Old City, which at the time it had a lot of chic vintage stores. In fact, the last Sheikh vintage store just left our neighborhood, oh last year, and we furnished our place with a lot of stuff from those places. And when you walked into a vintage store in two thousand and six, a high end vintage store where everything was well curated and expensive, it looked like their house. Right, That's not what the Salvation Army looks like. That's not what like, That's not what Porpi. That was an extremely well curated house of vintage mid century Brady Bunch, you know esthetic, and it absolutely was wrong for our family in two thousand and six. I think I might have mentioned this before for some reason. I remember talking about this on this podcast. It's you know, we've been doing this a long time. But I once compared the a set of this film to do you ever see I know you've seen it the Lord video for Royal Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, which depicts poverty, modern poverty in the way I talk about this because I have in my life, in my upbringing. I have been part of a poor family. I have been part of a poor working family. I know what it looks like and it doesn't look like that quirky art directed house. And I bring up royal because it shows them living and they don't have anything, like they just literally don't have anything because they're poor, and poor people don't have quirky, curated mid century stuff. They have plastic shit that they bought, you know, or they have really old, broken down shit. That's what the house of a poor person looks like, not this curated. And that bothered me right from the beginning. And honestly, the film is there's only one scene or maybe two scenes set in the house and the rest of the film is set out of the house. But it really turned me off right And then when I read that about the van, like that was the van from my child. Well, that's the problem here. You're you're depicting poor people in nineteen seventy five and this is two thousand and six, so it doesn't feel correct to me.
Speaker 2: It goes back to what I said, it's it's just because you have to do something, so you just throw these characters, you know, into and it looks good some sort of situation. Yeah, the fact that, okay, we really need them all in a van, so they can't afford ticket airline tickets, you know, like right flight, they can't.
Speaker 1: It be interesting to have them in some nineteen ninety five you know, Ford aerostar. No, we have to put them in a quirky thirty five year old gen X signifier because you know, it looks good on film. That was my issue with the film, and it remains my issue with the film is that it is overly quirky. It has an interesting story, great cast, but the aesthetic and that the sort of indie quirkiness, it sort of overwhelmed me.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I mean it gets into a lot of cliches, but I you kind of enjoyed it every now and then, you know, the dialogue and the situation. I agree, I don't want to trust us now. Abigail's adore She is adorable. I mean her face when you look at her face, yeah, she conveys all.
Speaker 3: And she's not allous or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, she's literally everybody and it's good. I don't know that Alan Orkan deserved an oscar for that performance, but he's always watchable and they probably handed it to him because you know, it was a lifetime achievement.
Speaker 2: Thing, right. But she's adorable. I love her. H the Abigail again, she's just Adora. But when she's on the van and she's asking, like at the table, when she's asking all those questions, I mean, it's just it's just nice. I agree, it's a nice performance.
Speaker 1: And just to go back to my think about the aesthetic, the reason that sets me off, as I indicated, I grew up in a family that struggled, you know, a low income, working class family, and it didn't look like that. And the other thing I want to say about the film is that I really don't know the backgrounds of the people involved, the directors and the screenwriter, but to me, it felt like this was an image of blowing come working class people produced by people who don't actually respect the lives that they're living. I felt that the movie was sometimes a little cruel in the its assessment of those people. Here's an example, A really good example is Roseanne the TV show, where a the house looked like a poor person's, a poor working class house. It was shitty furniture and things were broken down. It wasn't this quirky Brady Bunch House and be that show. I haven't seen the Connors, but that show back in the day. It respected that what the struggles of what these people were going through. It respected the perspective of what it's like to worry about your bills.
Speaker 2: They weren't making fun of this, They weren't making fun of them. They were laughing with them exactly.
Speaker 1: And I do feel like this film sometimes is making fun of it's low income, working class people, and I it just set it. I was like, I don't like, there's something very smug about that's the word. There's something very smug about this film, and that's what I kind of It's a well made film. If these things don't bother you, it's worth your time. But for me, it was like this, I think it's.
Speaker 2: A lovely movie. I actually enjoyed watching again. The only thing that I don't like is that they make such a big deal about her winning and how important that is for everybody, for her, for her grandfather, and they kind of dropped that conversation towards end and.
Speaker 1: We never see her reaction. I mean, she should have been a little devastated by how that played out.
Speaker 2: I missed that conversation. Where's she at least she says, you know, it doesn't matter, grandfather, grandpa whatever, blah blah blah. I mean I needed that, some kind of dialogue, some sort of like conversation about and they just show them dancing and the movie ends.
Speaker 3: I agree, I missed that part. I agree. It's cute. It's a cute film.
Speaker 2: It is a cute feel.
Speaker 1: Everybody is doing good work in the film. But ultimately, for me, the perspective of the film seems a little smug and removed from the people it's depicting, and that is my That has always been my issue with it, along with the aesthetic of it, which just that is not what poor people look like in two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: It's just not it's it's it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's just little things like the grandfather dies and they had everything planned back where they're from, you know, for the funeral and everything, but the grandfather died, and all of a sudden he has money to ship the grandfather and all that, and it just I mean, call someone to exactly, it's just all right, where is this money coming from? Yeah, it doesn't. It goes in and out. Their money problems.
Speaker 1: It's like it just goes in or out, like they have money problems until the film needs to do something, and then they don't have money problems anymore.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, yes, we only order something that you know, up to four dollars, you know at the dynas exactly, you're going to go to that level, and then they did. Yeah, it just doesn't or you're getting three hotel rooms like that. I was like, you know, my parents did not get three hotel rooms. They piled us all into one. Oh my god. All right, so I think that's it. Yeah, all right, So I enjoyed it. I enjoyed watching it again, A right did too.
Speaker 3: And maybe you did.
Speaker 2: Two. Would love to hear your thoughts on it, especially your thoughts on like the class depiction and whether or not I'm out of line for thinking the film was a little smug.
Speaker 3: We'll be back next week with Blue Moon, which I'm actually looking forward to because I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: The great movie.
Speaker 3: And uh, until then, take care of yourself, love you mean it. Bye bye bye