Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's well on this Wednesday on Later with Mo Kelly, We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app Earlier in the show, when I was previewing this segment with Claudine Cooper, we were talking about getting a colonoscopy, very important for men especially, and I was having some fun with Mark Ronner. But I had come across this article earlier today saying that exercise specifically helps colon cancer survivors live longer.
Speaker 3: Off the top of my head, Claudie, first, good evening. Off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: I can assume that exercise usually is recommended for all sorts of people, for any sorts of reasons, But when I think about colon cancer survivors, it makes it seem just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Different, if only because.
Speaker 2: We're inclined to believe that after surgery you probably would be less inclined to exercise, to do less to slowly recuperate. But they're basically saying no, no, no, no, start moving.
Speaker 4: Body of your body.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's great to be here as always, Mo, but I do feel like physical activity is one of the ways that we can heal our bodies. And I've never had colon cancer, although I do know people who have, and I do feel like their healing journey can be helped by exercise as one of the modalities of healing. And it's it's a lot of things. It's what we eat, it's how much sleep we're getting, it's how much movement we're getting. That's going to improve our healing time over anything like just use pregnancy as an example. As you know, I had three children back to back five years. I knocked it out and was done right. You talk about it like you were adding onto your house or something. I mean, it was a mission. It was a real mission.
Speaker 1: I had to.
Speaker 2: I had to.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying is, even after childbirth, they say, listen, give your body about four to six weeks to rest after you've delivered a baby naturally. And I've maybe lasted two weeks without some kind of movement. And I will tell you that I believe moving is what helped me heal faster.
Speaker 3: Going back to the story.
Speaker 2: In these trials, nearly twenty nine hundred participants reported their levels of physical activity, which researchers translated into metabolic equivalents or met hours per week. Results showed that participants who got eighteen or more met hours of exercise per week had an overall three year survival rate three percent higher than the general population.
Speaker 4: And they're saying general population, they're not saying of people who have beat can answer right. They're saying, these are people who are living longer than even a per person who's never had cancer.
Speaker 3: So win in doubt, keep on moving.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm always going to say that you know that, mo. I really feel strongly that if you move before the diagnosis, you move throughout your process of healing from whatever cancer or chronic illness. I do feel like your healing journey on the back end is going to be shorter in time and you may have more life. But I'm not God, so I can't really say who's going to have more life? But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Look, I always have said controlled that which you can control, and if you can move, then move your body because that much you can control.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the question. If we can control it, then why are more people moving?
Speaker 3: Because this is just me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think people take that movement for granted. I think that people are inclined to believe that it will always be there for them if and when they need it or want it, and it can be taken away immediately or also as we age, we overestimate how much movement ability we have and don't use it effectively consistently to get the most benefit from it.
Speaker 3: When was the last time?
Speaker 2: Some people I talked to my friends, I just asked, when's the last time you ran anywhere?
Speaker 4: Well, they said, nobody stole something from me? So what would I be running from? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I say that in jest obviously, But as we get older, we walk more and we run less. You don't really want to potentially injure yourself as you start to get older, so you want to be very measured in your movement. What can I do?
Speaker 3: What is safe?
Speaker 4: And what will I not pull a hamstring on?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: But there is something to be said for intentionality. And you may not be running, but there is such a thing as exerting oneself moving to at least push your body in a cardio sense.
Speaker 4: To what your article was saying, eighteen met hours, that doesn't mean it was eighteen It doesn't translate to eighteen hours of movement in fact, it's not until you've hit a certain metabolic rate that they start to calculate those hours, which means the people who are living three percent longer than the average people are not just colon cancer survivors. They're coaling cancer athletes because they're moving their body to hit this metabolic rate. What does that entail. They're probably doing some kind of high intensity activity. Could be running, could be any kind of high intensity interval training. But I did want to get back to what you were saying about taking it for granted that you can move. So, you know, I teach fitness classes throughout the week all over LA, but mainly at Iconics Fitness in Inglewood. So I taught a six thirty pm strength training class last week and a guy rolls in in his wheelchair, and I want to tell you he inspired everyone in that room to push harder, to lift more, to work at their movement because they looked at him and he was pushing, inspiring all of us. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you, are you ever surprised anymore?
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't say that's surprised, but maybe that's just inspired and encouraged.
Speaker 4: Oh he's not my first person who came in in a chair. So this has been happening probably for the last twenty years. I've had I alter the workout to meet them where they are and also meet the people who also can do both upper and lower bodywork.
Speaker 2: I started the show tonight talking about the wonder of living in southern California and talking about things we take for granted. We kind of take the weather for granted, and I was saying, it was like seventy five degrees out today, It's going to be eighty degrees tomorrow.
Speaker 3: There's no other place I would rather live.
Speaker 2: I understand why it's so expensive to live here, because the weather alone makes it worth putting up with a lot of other stuff we normally wouldn't because of that weather. I say all that to say, does that now shift What is happening in the gyms now that it's getting warmer.
Speaker 4: It's been pretty crowded. Still.
Speaker 3: Is this like getting their summer bodies ready or something?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm just gonna say, I'm fingers crossed hoping that the people who committed their life to fitness this year in twenty twenty five at the new year, are still going strong mo so.
Speaker 3: They haven't you haven't had the precipitous fall off.
Speaker 4: I haven't had the fall off this year.
Speaker 2: Really, Nope, let's talk more about that when we come back. Okay, I'm joined in the studio by Claudine Cooper. Go to Claudinecooper dot com right now during the break so you can find out more about this.
Speaker 3: Legendary fitness personality. I'm just putting out there claiming it for you.
Speaker 2: She's usually with us here every single week, and we love having her, and I don't know how much longer we'll have her.
Speaker 3: She's turning into a star row. Oh no, it turns a star.
Speaker 2: So we're going to see how long we can keep her around here. It's Later with both Kelly Word Word. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And Claudine Cooper. You can see more at Claudinecooper dot com. She continues to join me in the studio, and I'm not going to publicize another radio station, but I will say that the growth of your community workouts, your free community workouts, is now extending beyond KFI and the community at large.
Speaker 3: Is taking notice.
Speaker 2: I think you should be proud of what you have been doing and be aware that your reach has been growing.
Speaker 3: And I'm happy for you and proud of you.
Speaker 2: Now that the free community workouts are back as of this weekend, what should people expect.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the same as it always has been. It's nine am on Saturdays. It's in the Hollywood Park retail district, which is adjacent to Sofi Stadium. It's an outdoor workout. There's no equipment needed, no RSVP needed. It's literally just pull up, move your body, meet some really cool people and go to the farmer's market afterwards.
Speaker 2: I don't know, well you forgot You better be ready to work out because you want to put them through their paces.
Speaker 4: I will, but you know, I don't want to scare people. I want people to know that I will give them a workout that can be done at home or anywhere for that matter, a body weight workout. But when people say, oh, she's going to put you through a workout, you know that becomes a little barrier. People. I'm not ready yet. I need to think. I need to start somewhere and do some walking first. But the truth is you could come and you would be welcomed and you could move at your own pace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it your own pace. But for those who think that they can.
Speaker 4: Keep up with the pace mode clouding, okay, just tell on yourself there doing sprints and everything else. No, mo, you you did great.
Speaker 2: Look I realized I had to slow down at the very beginning because I was spending too much energy.
Speaker 3: Early on, I said, I know, we got another forty five minutes to go.
Speaker 4: Came out the gate just yeah.
Speaker 2: Now it's when you started doing those like deep knee bins and you know, yeah, we definitely yeah.
Speaker 4: We do our stretches, we do our squads. We you know, we stay upright, so nobody needs a mat. It's not like we're going down on the floor.
Speaker 1: But I do.
Speaker 4: I do feel like the community has been craving this, and not just because they want an outdoor workout option, but there is so much positivity exchanged in these workouts, and right now I just feel like people need it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate any outdoor workout I think it is. It's much more enjoyable. I love the outdoor air. But I know that there might be a possibility of rain this weekend. As what I'm hearing how does that impact you? What is is it an alternate location if it's raining, Yeah.
Speaker 4: We figure it out like it's one of those things where we just say rain or shine and then you know what usually happens is that for some reason, and I'm not going to say that, you know, there's a divine order in place, but it just stops raining for one hour so we.
Speaker 3: Could do our workout, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: I remember the last time I came to your workout, you gave us a tour of the surrounding areas, surrounding businesses which are had just opened or on the way to being open. And I saw a picture of you one night, you and your husband at Cosm. Yes, and that has been receiving a lot of attention. And I'm going to just take us off the beaten path for a moment. What was your review of Cosmic? If you don't know, it is an entertainment facility, an immersive experience where you can watch sporting events. Since we're talking about moving our body, we could watch sporting events and it makes you feel like you're right there.
Speaker 4: Well, you know that's right across the street from my job, So it's it's on topics still. You know, we the first time I went, I didn't go with my husband. I had to go survey the scene, you know, so I could report back and bring in with me the next time. But I walked from work and I just went over there to see what was going on. And it was when it had initially opened, and they were saying that they were holding a documentary on the immersive theater. So I said, oh, great, can can we just come in? And they're like, well, no, it's a ticketed event, and you know, and then a couple of my girlfriends were going to meet me and they said, actually, you guys can come in. I don't know, you know, we just got to watch the documentary in the immersive theater on the first week they open. Not really sure how that happened for us, but I'm happy it did.
Speaker 3: You talked to you allia.
Speaker 4: So it was so interesting. Mo. We were immersed in this documentary about underwater life by Nancy Cahill I believe is the artist's name, and it was so incredible. You felt like you were deep sea diving. But I do got to tell you one thing. I am a person who gets motion sickness, so you're so deep into it that if you have any kind of vertigo or any disruption in your equilibrium, it's not for you.
Speaker 3: I had to take a stat So you're not one to go on a cruise.
Speaker 4: Huh No, I'm not one to go on a cruise. No boats, no long rides. I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I hear all these great things about cosm, and I see all the great things about how that particular entertainment district has been grown by leaps and bounds, saying nothing of the endto a dome, saying nothing of so far which was already there, just everything around it.
Speaker 4: And now there's this thing called the cine Vita, which is a temporary installment where they're doing a full performance of pulp fiction. And it's just like a play with music and actors, and they're putting it on as you eat dinner.
Speaker 3: So how do they do the ballgag scene?
Speaker 4: I didn't go see that. I'll report back.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to know. I mean, are they are they?
Speaker 2: Are they reciting execue excuse me, Ezekiel twenty five to forty cent?
Speaker 1: They are?
Speaker 3: Now? I just wonder, you know who's doing Sam Jackson's part? Well?
Speaker 4: We would have to go check it out first and then see if it mirrors the movie.
Speaker 2: Very quickly, I know someone has been incentivized and inspired to come work out with you for your free community workout this Saturday at nine a m.
Speaker 3: How can they go about doing that?
Speaker 4: All they have to do is go to the Hollywood Park Retail District, enter into the parking garage on ninety seventh and Prairie, get a ticket. We validate the ticket for two point five hours, and there's also a farmer's market adjacent. So you have a workout, you have a farmer's market, you have free parking. What else do you need?
Speaker 3: Fifty five other people to work out with?
Speaker 4: And that's about how many? Maybe maybe more, maybe more it's the first time out. Yeah, so we'll see Clauding. It's always great to see you very quickly. How can people find you other than Claudincooper dot com. Well, I do participate in social media. I just kind of been keeping up with my threads account, but I'm on Instagram and threads, TikTok and Facebook, so I'd love to connect.
Speaker 3: Clauding is always great to see you.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we get to see you next week, depending on your very very busy schedule.
Speaker 4: I plan to be here.
Speaker 3: You teach forty five fifty seven classes, like it.
Speaker 4: It feels like it, But hopefully I'm going to dial back the teaching because it's hard on my body at this age. You know.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know, because I'm much younger than you.
Speaker 4: That's a good joke, real funny.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, Waitte, you don't need to turn onto your microphone to laugh, all right, you don't need to pile on. It reminds me of you and your basketball. Referring this weekend, Yes, it was a lot. I did too much this weekend, way too much. Body was hurting, Oh, it was hurting.
Speaker 3: I was standing up.
Speaker 2: I turned my desk into a standing desk where I lifted up the monitor and I put the keyboard on the top of a box of copy paper so I could stand up because my hips were hurting too much.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to sit down. Oh yeah, I thought he was joking and yeah serious, I was like, how is his computer? Oh the box is there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, before we go, let's just say this, anyone who's experiencing discomforter pain, sitting down tends to exacerbate that pain. That's why Moe was standing, and.
Speaker 3: That's why I have a standing desk at home now.
Speaker 4: Better for your body.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we'll see you soon.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty