Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo.
Speaker 2: These guys are your favorites, so like say subscribe and raid it, lip Star and me greatest on Yesterday and listening watching Lin always keep it Squatchy and now your hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 1: Good evening, Bobo, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Most excellent sir? How are you?
Speaker 1: I am also most excellent, having a good day. I worked at the shop today, but I've got an exciting little bit of news for you. Bobes. Do you know who our guest is tonight? I think you do.
Speaker 3: Good Man from Ohio, that's right.
Speaker 1: The man like not just a capital T man like thhe capital the man in Ohio, the guy who kind of put Ohio on the map as a squatchy location. It is and always have. Our guest today is largely responsible for the public knowing about it instead of just the bigfoots. So, ladies and gentlemen, it is with extreme honor that I am bringing on Don Keating to our show tonight. Don thank you so much. If you could see me now, you'd realize I'm bowing to you. Thank you so much for coming on the show with us.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm humbled.
Speaker 1: We are humbled. We are humbled.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Don Hey Bobo.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the invitation to be on the show. I'm probably one of the most modest people that you ever meet, because I hear a lot of people will say things like what Cliff just said. And you know, when I started out back in nineteen eighty four, my opinion of myself and my hobby then is just the same then as it is now. I'm an ordinary person with an extraordinary hobby. And you know, I just tried to do what I thought was right and best to try and get some reports and information together from Ohio, Eastern Ohio in particular, because that's where I'm from. And one thing led to another, and I'm sure we'll talk about several of those things this evening.
Speaker 3: It led the money Maker going back to Ohio.
Speaker 2: It did. Yeah. I was just telling Cliff beforehand that one of the first correspondences I got from him was in nineteen ninety five, and it was a matrix printer printed letter that was sent in the mail. It was even before we really got into the email and heavy and I met Matt several times here in Eastern Ohio, and he came down a few times and we went out to the woods together and talked about several things. So I knew Matt way back when when he was just getting started here in Ohio and he was residing up in the Akron area. And myself and another fellow by name Matt Hesson went to Bolivar one evening along I seventy seven at the Stark Tuscaroras County line, and that's the first time I had met Matt Moneymaker in person, and we talked with him, and he said, look, I want to try and get some reports flowing from this part of Ohio because as a parent that there are a lot of things going on here, and it's rich in folklore, and it's rich in reports that have happened not only in the recent past, but in the distant past. So he brought some bumper stickers down that had two phone numbers on it. One of them was for Matt Moneymaker and one of them was for this fellow by name is Matt Hesson. And that's how we started getting the ball rolling here in eastern Ohio and northeastern Ohio thanks to Matt Moneymaker. By getting those bumper stickers out there, and that's how people started just contacting one of the two numbers and getting the information flowing.
Speaker 1: Was that guy at the he's the guy at the Ohio conference that comes every year with the big like black cowboy hat. Is that that dude? And there you go, yeah exactly, Yeah, yeah, he's a good guy. I talk to him every year. I didn't know. I didn't ever put the name together though, a few years ago. He gave me one of those bumper stickers and I wish I still had it, but he gave me one of the bumper stickers to give to Matt Moneymaker, saying that Matt says hello. And when I gave it to Matt, and I didn't know that. I didn't know this little bit of history that you just dropped on us. By the way, that's kind of new to me. But when I gave it to money Maker, like you should have seen his eyes, it was like Christmas. He goes, oh my god, you know, and that very oh my gosh, look at that, you know, during Matt money Maker's sort of way, and I could just tell that it brought him such pleasure to see that. So now now I know a little bit more about why it was so pleasurable for him to see that. That's cool.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. I'm sure that the flashbacks happened immediately because that was I think it was during the spring of nineteen ninety five, and you know, that was a few years ago and very interesting, a lot of.
Speaker 1: History, a lot of history. So that was the first time you encountered money maker. Was he as just as intense as he as he is today back then?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I believe. So. He was very adamant about getting the bumper stickers distributed. He was adamant about getting some phone calls. As you know, if we knew something had come in, he wanted to know about it right away so we could get out into the field together and investigate things. He was very intense about it then and as he is now, and I still see the fire and the get go in his eyes. When I seen him here in Ohio last month, he was just the same person, except twenty seven years older that he was back then. You know, he's he's still got to get up and go, and I got to get give him kudos for that. A lot of people who he's been into it this long would just give up by now.
Speaker 3: But not him.
Speaker 2: I think he's just as as adamant about going after it, if not more so now than what he was then.
Speaker 3: Adam. That's a good word from that.
Speaker 1: It really is. Yeah. Yeah, I'll tell you he's a fiery soul to say the least. Well, enough about Matt, you know, we'll talk about we'll get into him and maybe as we go through the chronology of a Bigfoot in Ohio here. But am I right in thinking? Have it in my head that you started your whole journey in this subject in like nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: I wrote an article for the Newcomerstown News in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighty eighty, so before that. But if you wrote it, if you wrote an article in nineteen eighty, you must have been interested before that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It kind of goes back to the late seventies. Actually, I mean, I don't really consider it the official beginning of my fascination with the phenomena, but it started back in the late seventies. And I'll tell you hell or hew, and that was when our family went to the local drive in the theater to see a movie, of all things, the Legend of Volge Creek, and that film just scared to be Jesus out of me because of you know, the thing trying to get into the door of the house. And you know, after knowing Smokey for as long as I did and talking to him and reading his book after a while, some of this stuff, you know, might have been kind of exaggerated in the film as compared to what actually happened. But that's how I officially got the interest. And you know, it led, one thing led to another. It was kind of on and off. I graduated high school in nineteen eighty one, and when I graduated school in eighty one, my fascination was meteorology. I could cared less about cryptozoological stuff, and I wanted to become a TV weather guy. And one thing, you know, they say, life is life is made up of a few intersections in the highway and the highway one of the intersections was when our family had an unusual encounter back in nineteen seventy six, and I went to the local library in nineteen eighty four to see if I could find a book about UFOs, to see if I could find something that looks similar to what we had seen in nineteen seventy six. I didn't find anything, so I thought, well, hey, here's an interesting looking book, and it was The Sasquash The Gaps among Us by John Green, and that's when I really started getting heavy into it. But as far as my official, you know, really getting into it would have been nineteen eighty when I wrote the article for the Newcomberstown News about strange incidents that had been taking place in the an area known as Lake Llah four miles west of here.
Speaker 1: We don't wan a side note about that legend of Boggy CREEKDN. You know, Bobo and I met the actor who played the guy with the arm coming through the wall and stuff like that, you know, the legend of Boggie Creek with an arm coming through the window. We met through the door. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we met that guy. He was just an actor, of course. But I'll tell you that scene that affected you also affected me in such a way that, honestly, I'm not a proud man. And all nobody listens this podcast so I can say this, but I teared up when I met that guy because of such a huge the role he played in my life. I couldn't believe I had the honor of meeting him, and I believe he's passed away now too, I remember, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a very interesting, very interesting part of the movie.
Speaker 1: It scared the hell out of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well me and you both exactly. Yes, So yeah, there you have it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you wrote this article in about nineteen eighty or something like that, and do you remember your very first maybe witness that you spoke to.
Speaker 2: As far as actual sidings are concerned, I spoke to three of them. They were teenage boys from Newcomers Town. I found out about this encounter as a result of a newspaper article written on August twenty fourth or twenty eighth of nineteen eighty four from the Newcomerstown News. There were three boys that were down on the south side of the Tuscaroas River, which runs along the southern part of town, down at a substation, a power substation, and they were just being typical teenage boys walking around having a good time in late April, as spring was in the air, and they were walking this trail and they turned a corner in the trail and ahead of them, standing beside a tree was what they described as a seven to eight foot tall, dark brown to black hair covered creature on two legs. Standing there pulling leaves or something to that effect off of a tree and eating them. They looked at each other and didn't know what it was, and they turned around and they high tailed it all the way back to the bridge that they had to cross to cross the river, which was about a mile. I spoke to those boys individually and as a group. I'm thoroughly convinced that they believe they seen what they seen that day. One of the boys' skeptical fathers, he went down to the location with him to show him where it was at, and they found a large human like footprint near that tree. And the father told the boy, he said, do not come back here again, because you don't know what you're dealing with. Those are the first three people that I actually spoke to that claim to have ever seen anything in the Newcomers Town area or anywhere else as far as ask concern.
Speaker 1: Now, since that time, that's pretty old sighting at this point. Since that time, I'm assuming I think it's a safe assumption, perhaps that you have followed up on other reports, say within five or ten miles of that location.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've followed up on numerous reports from here from within five or ten miles of here, the numbers could easily be into the dozens. Yeah, because newcomers town. If people don't know, it's in east central Ohio. It's on the foothills of the Alleghanies southwestern Tuscaroras County. Not too far from here in Coshocton County is what they call the Woodbury Wildlife Area. That area is around twenty twenty five thousand acres ten to fifteen miles as the crow flies. South of there, along the southern parts of Coshocton northern Muskingham County, along the Wills Creek area, there is what they call the AEP cool Lands, the American Electric Power cool Lands. It's old mining territory that they've reclaimed and it's now considered public hunting, fishing, and hiking. All you have to have to have is a lifetime permit to be out there in common sense, of course, and that area out there has tens of thousands of acres not only of woodlands, but of waterways. Those areas are within twenty five miles of me, both of them, and to assume that there would be nothing out there would be absolutely ridiculous because a lot of the high walls that were left behind from the old mining days and the AEP cool lands. I refer to them as looking at the miniature Grand Canyon. They're between anywhere between forty and one hundred feet high, and they are a spectacular site when you find them. And the area is very wild. If there have been reports of mountain lion, black bear, coyote, I mean just about any kind of wild animal that you don't think would be in this area has been seen in that area.
Speaker 1: And of course just tons and tons of deer. And are there any elk in Ohio? I know there's some down in Kentucky, which isn't too far, I guess, But I mean I've never heard of anything in the Ohio or their elk up there.
Speaker 2: I don't believe, so I'm not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that's one of the things here i'd like. You know, obviously live in Oregon, so a lot of people come into the shop and stuff. They start asking questions about good bigfoot spots, and I try to bring up Ohio because Ohio just has a ton of stuff thanks for the thanks to the diligent researchers who live in that state. A lot of stuff is publicly available from Ohio. But West Coasters don't really think much about Ohio. They think it's all like plains or something like that, you know, like the east or the western part of the state rather, But eastern Ohio is extraordinarily wooded and rough, and there's huge patches of woods. It's fantastic habitat for these sort of things.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny you mentioned that about the West Coasters not knowing about Ohio. One of the reasons that I started inviting people out here to my public meeting to speak from the West Coast was specifically not only to entertain the audience that showed up at that meeting that night, but it was to show the West Coast researchers that indeed Ohio had what was available for any large wild animal to exist. We weren't Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland only.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just large cities and flat rolling hills that gave way to cornfields. It was you know, we're on the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains here, and if you fly in a single engine airplane just a thousand feet above ground level, it's remarkable how far to the east you can see and if you go just a little further than that, I mean, you really start getting into the rolling mountains in southwestern Pennsylvania. And like I say, that's just that's one of the reasons that I started inviting. I think the first person that I had out here to speak at a regular meeting was Ray Crow, and then the first person I had to speak at one of the conferences from the West Coast was Jeff Meldrum.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 4: Then many different things about their appearance. But if you're a guy who really cares about your hair and find out it's slowly going away or worse quickly, you might be feeling discouraged when you look in the mirror. And that's where Hymns comes in. Check out their personalized hair loss solutions and you can start seeing your hair go back in as little as three to six months.
Speaker 1: Hymns provides you with convenient and quality access to a range of hair loss treatments that work all from the comfort of your couch or leisure chair or baby carriage, whatever you're into.
Speaker 5: I guess Hymns makes treating hair loss simple with doctor trusted options and clinically proven ingredients like finast ride and monoxid ill that can regrow hair in as little as three to six months.
Speaker 4: This process is simple and one hundred percent online, so there's no uncomfortable doctor visits.
Speaker 1: Answer a few questions, and a medical provider will determine if treatment is right for you. If prescribed, your treatment is sent directly to you for free.
Speaker 4: No insurance is needed, and one low price cover is everything from treatments to ongoing care.
Speaker 1: Hymns has hundreds of thousands of trusted subst scribers and they can help you get your confidence back with visibly thicker and fuller and squatchier hair. Nice starcher free online visits today at hymns dot com slash beyond. That's hims dot com slash beyond for your personalized hair loss treatment options.
Speaker 4: Hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 5: Results vary based on studies of topical and oral monoxidal and finasteride. Prescription products require an online consultation with a healthcare provider who will determine if a prescription is appropriate. Restrictions apply. See website for full details and important safety information.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about your meetings, because those meetings acted as almost like a seed for this for something that would grow almost out of control to present day. But it really started with these small meetings that she used to hold. So tell us about the genesis of those.
Speaker 2: Well, back in nineteen eighty four, there was a FOLLO about the name of Tom Archer, who lived in Rentaldsburg, Ohio, and he was the first person that contacted me. I should go back a little bit and say the newspaper article that alerted me about the siding of the three boys on the south side of town. I sent that article to John Green. As a result, John Green sent that article to Tom Archer. So would jump ahead regarding the meetings. Tom Arsher says to me, He says, Hey, you know what, we could have a meeting here. There's a meeting at Alliance, Ohio called the Tri County UFO Study Group, and they hold a meeting once every month and people that have claimed to have seen UFOs or abductions or whatever they go to that meeting. He said, if you want to, we can go up there and see how things go. So in October of eighty four, myself and Tom went up to Alliance Ohio. We met with the chairman and co chairman Jim rast ed Or and Paul Rozick. We were very impressed on how they handled their organization, how the meetings went, and we were shocked at how many people came forward just at that meeting to tell about UFO sidtings. So the seed was planted. That's what happened in my mind that I started thinking, why don't we do something like that? So in July of nineteen eighty five we were to hold just a one time event, and it was on July thirteenth of eighty five. I held a meeting and I wanted people to come forward who might have seen something that resembled a sasquatch. And I contacted some people that I knew in the media in the newspaper and Tom and I figured, well, we'll have five or ten people show up. Nope, we had thirty two people show up at that first meeting, which was mind blowing to me. And we just we got so many reports, We got one or two new reports, and we got so many historical reports that after the meeting we said, hey, this was very successful, why don't we do this again next month? And see if we can get more people out of the woodwork, so to speak. In August of eighty five we had fifty six people. Between August and September we discovered the first possible footprints, no more than five miles from my front door, on the south side of Newcomers Town and in the same area that those three teenage boys had their encounter a year and a half prior to that. One thing just led to another, and it was amazing on how things just jewed together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you were like in on the ground floor of something that was completely unexplored at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was, And believe me, I heard my share of people driving up and down the road yelling hey bigfoot or making grunning noises out their car window as they drove past. And amazingly, now thirty years later, those people don't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Somewhat vindicated, I think. Yeah. Yeah, And so you said first, the first person you led out to speak was Ray Crow, of course, which is the president of the Western Big for Society. He did the track record for all those many years. I think Bobo and I were both members of that as well. Got the weekly newsletter or the monthly newsletter. Rather yeah, good times. What are some of the other luminaries that you invited and successfully lured out to Ohio?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, Larry Lund.
Speaker 1: Huge here of mine, huge, here of mine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good fella, John Green. And I didn't lure him out here. I can't take credit for that, unfortunately, but he did speak at the meeting. What happened was he was going to be speaking at the IX Outdoor Center in Cleveland, Ohio, in January of nineteen eighty nine, and he contacted me and said, Hey, I'm going to be in Ohio. Would you be open to meet face to face? And I said absolutely, And I'm going to be happening to have a meeting that same weekend. You're going to be in Ohio. Would you be willing to do me the pleasure of speaking at that meeting? And he said, well, of course. And that was in January of eighty nine. And I still have that recording to this day on videotape of him talking at that meeting. Folks just loved seeing him. They picked his brain for like an hour and a half when he was here. John Green, I mean, there's so many of them. Tony Healy from Australia was at my conference, and I believe it was two thousand and five, two thousand and seven to one of the two. There's so many of them. I just sometimes the year has just been together.
Speaker 1: Well, how about Renee to Hindon? Did you ever meet him?
Speaker 2: I met Renee, but unfortunately I didn't get him out here to speak.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was it? What were his thoughts on big Foot in Ohio? He's a crotchy old jerk sometimes, but I understand a very very sweet man. I never had a chance to meet him. But you never met Renee none. I never met Renee. I know his son, but I never met Renee.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I got Renee stories like you wouldn't believe. Well Ley went on, oh wow, Okay. In nineteen ninety seven, I was invited to speak at the Sasquatched Symposium in Vancouver, BC by Stephen Harvey. I had known Renee for several years already, and Renee was going to be at that symposium. Well, Renee kind of lashed on us because he wanted to meet these Midwestern guys, you know that came out here all the way from Ohio and Indiana and Pennsylvania or wherever. We were walking around downtown Vancouver and we went to grab some pizza, which was really great pizza. By the way, I can't think of what the name of the pizza shop was. But we're walking down the street and I'm not even going to try to imitate Rene's voice, because you know, you had that classic voice. But he says, okay, he says, so where do you think they go during the winter. I'm like, if I knew that, I would have found one by now. Renee. I said, maybe they hop on an Amtrak and go to Florida. I have no idea. He said, no, Seriously, where do you think they go during the winter? I said, well, you know, I've given that some thought. We don't find hardly any tracks in the snow. But my opinion is this, if you go out to the woods and you've got half a foot or a foot of snow on the ground, or whatever the case may be, and you find a large group of pine trees, do yourself a favor. Get yourself underneath that group of pine trees where there's no snow on the ground. It's all on the branches on the outside of the forest. Notice how much the wind is cut off. Notice how much warmer it is under that group of pine trees as compared to what is being bore in the elements. That's where I think they go during the winter. At times, they go down underneath the pine trees where nobody's going to go, nobody's going to think of looking, And you know it's much warmer. It's a natural wind to break. But you know, when they would call me up and he would say, hey, Keating, I know you had a conference last weekend, and I know you had such and such a speaker. Okay, I'd like to know what that speaker was talking about at your conference. I said, well, Renee, I can tell you now. He said, no, no, no, I know your videotaped your conferences too. He says, what do you want for a copy of the video? I said, gee, I don't know, Renee. I'll send you a copy of the video, and then when you get it, you let me know what you think it's worth, and you can send me a couple bucks. I don't care, so I said one in particular. He was dying to know what this speaker had talked about. And about two weeks later, I get a package in the mail. I'm like, uh oh, he's probably sent the video tape back. He's been out of shape, as I'll get out. I don't know what I did to make him upset, but let's see what's in the envelope. So I get the envelope, I open it up and I am shocked. He sent me a book. Not only was it a book, it was a hardcover book of his first book that he had written. The hardcover book had the yellow dusk jacket cover on it. And I have never seen that book again. I know, I know Lund has a copy of it. I'm pretty sure he does. But he inscribed it to me, and I was like, so I call him up. I said, Renay, okay, I really appreciate the book, but how much to owe you for it? He said, what do you mean? I said, you sent me a copy of the book. You know I've got to pay you for it. I'm sure it wasn't free to publish it. He said, no, you sent me the videotape. I really enjoyed the video tape. You know, I'm sending you a gift as an exchange for the Is that enough? And I said, are you kidding? That book still sits on my bookshelf too today, and I only looked at it a couple of times because I had read the original softcover book.
Speaker 1: How can you get rid of something that's priceless?
Speaker 2: You don't. You don't get rid of something that's priceless. Another priceless item I have on my bookshelf as an original from John Green Apes among Us some way or another. The first one that I ordered off of it was lost. I don't know what happened to it. Maybe it grew two legs and walked away. I don't have any idea. But John, I asked him one day on the phone. I said, John, do you have any more original copies of Apes among his hardcover? He said yeah. I said how much do you want? He said, well, I'll send you a copy and then get back to me and let let me. You know, I'll tell you how much I want. So I okay. He sends it to me. There's things in mint condition. It's only been opened a couple of times. He's inscribed it to me, and so on and so on. I call him up, John, how much owe you for the book?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 2: Nothing considered a gift? You know? You don't? How can you like? You said, there's no way of putting a price on stuff like that. That's stuff that will just sit on my bookshelves and be near and dear to my heart forever because I was I was lucky enough to know these guys and lucky enough to befriend them. I was at John Green's place for four days and three nights in nineteen ninety seven when we went out there to go to the ninety seven symposium in Vancouver. He allowed us myself Dewerth Chuck's story on John Horgan. Him and his wife allowed us to stay in their house because they had built this house specifically for when they had guests in town that were bigfooters, for them to have a place to stay instead of spending money on a motel. That's the kind of guy John Green was.
Speaker 1: We probably didn't want you guys in the real house, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But he looks at he says, okay, and he opens two closet doors and he says, you see those drawers. You can open those drawers and you can look at those plaster casts, but don't you dare break them. And he walks over, walks over to his desk and he pulls out this filing cabinet and they're his index cards, one holder after another after another. And he said, as you can thumb through all these that you want, take a look at him, make notes, just don't get them out of order, and make sure you put them back when you're done with them.
Speaker 1: That right, there is a priceless experience that can never be duplicated. And you know that just to say that you're the envy of thousands of bigfooters, you know, just unbelievable opportunities that where you were afforded.
Speaker 2: It was, it was great, It was great. But other people that I've had at the conference, you know, Igor Birshcheff was there one time and he spoke Crow was there at the conference and he spoke. Bob Gimlin. How in the world tick forget? Bob Gimlin spoke at my conference in twenty ten or eleven, I think it was twenty ten.
Speaker 1: You ever meet Krantz?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I met him at the Vancouver BC event, And that leads to another story. He's outside smoking a cigarette, typical grover and I walked up to him and it was just me because there was somebody else inside speaking, and I was like, I don't you know, I want to go outside and get some fresh air. So I'm like, Hi, Don, Grover, good Don, how are you fine? So let me ask you a question. What will it honestly take to prove sasquatch exists? Because I'm of the opinion that you don't think videotape will do it. He said, no, I don't think it will. He said, here's what happens if you're lucky enough to run across a dead one in the forest. And this is what he told me. He said, if you're able to, you take the hands, you take the feet, you take the head, and you get the heck out of there. And he said, because you get the heck out of there, because where there's a dead one, there's probably a pretty good chance there's a live one in close proximity. And it's going to be a little upset saying what you're doing to, you know, the one that's laying on the forest floor. That's what Grover told me, he said, that's what it will take to prove the existence of sasquatch to the scientific community.
Speaker 1: Dead one or a big piece of a dead one.
Speaker 2: Right, yep, I've still got the eight by ten photo of Groves and I was standing beside the building in Vancouver, BC in nineteen eighty nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, I need to go to your house. Don you have treasures I want to put my eyes on.
Speaker 2: I've got a lot of stuff stored away in storage boxes. I've got so much stuff. It's just you know, Robert Michael Pile. Uh, pictures of myself and John Green and John's front yard of a mountain in the background. Uh, myself and Peter Burn. You know. I was lucky enough to meet the four original horsemen, so to speak, very fortunate.
Speaker 3: That, you know.
Speaker 2: I could feel as if I could talk to them about anything that was on my mind. And it was no holds borrowed. I told him, I said, tell me what you really think. You know. Of course, Rene he had no problem with that.
Speaker 1: I don't think he ran in any other gear than that one.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So it was I was very fortunate to have gotten into the game, so to speak, when I did, and to have met these people that I did. Bob Tipmos, I didn't get a chance to meet him because he was in ill health when we were there in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he died that year.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did. Jack Lapseratis met him.
Speaker 1: Oh he's still around. He's live and kicking somewhere up in Washington. I think I wondered about that the other day. In fact, I wasn't quite sure.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that's you know, that's a long answer to your short question. As far as that goes. I don't want to continue name dropping because I bore people.
Speaker 1: Oh I love this stuff. I love this stuff because I haven't met some of those people. And obviously everybody you mentioned has influenced me in some way or another, even laps Ritis, who I've never met. I'd love to meet that guy, even though I don't necessarily agree with his views on sasquatches. I don't care what people think. I don't care. I'd love to meet him. So I was kind of hoping to run across him at some point. Yeah, big footing is like this this vehicle that brings you to treasured memories and gifts that you're going to look back upon in our old aide and say, well, that was really cool, and that wouldn't have happened unless I was doing this weird thing that everybody was making fun of me about.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, you know, there's some good memories, there are some not so good memories. I can look back on it now and if somebody asked me, well, what would you do different? This is an honest answer, what would I do different? I wouldn't have done it. I would not have gotten involved, period. I mean, that's easy to say. Hindsight is twenty twenty. But and people ask me if I give a talk or something like that somewhere, They say, well, if I'm interested in getting involved in the research, what kind of advice do you have for me? And I look at them straight faced because I'm serious, and I say my advice to you would be don't do it, plain and simple, don't do it because it's going to save you a lot of headache, it's going to save you a lot of money, it's going to save you a lot of ridicule.
Speaker 1: But in the words of Gibbee from The Butthole Surfers, he said, it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done. So at least you're on the right side of that one, right.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't have met people like yourself. You know, there's just so many people that I've met that I wouldn't have met as a result of doing it. So, you know, I guess it's kind of a two sided a coin heads and tails. There's some days I regret doing it, and there's other days I say, well, that wasn't such a bad run. You know.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages. Well, let's talk about some of your field work. I mean, I don't know if a lot of people know this, but you may have filmed one of these things at one time and you can see that video. If people are interested, you can just do a Google search don Keating Bigfoot film or something like that, because it was featured on a Monster Quest episode Doug Hicheck's thing back in the day. Now, I know there's some we could probably do a three hour show with you, and we're not going to do that, but we do need to talk about the film a little bit. Can What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety three, I did a six or seven minute piece for WUAB Channel forty three news out of Cleveland. They came down, they did a lot of field videography. Jack Marshall was the reporter, good friend of mine now And as a result of that nineteen ninety three news piece, what happened was in ninety three later in the year, in December of ninety three, frigid, cool temperatures outside. I'm like, you know, really cool, and I'm like, I want to watch some video, nothing else to do. So as a result, I pick up a videotape off the shelf that I had with videotapes on it, obviously, and I start watching it from August ninety two, and I watched this interview that I did with this very colorful individual whom was very adamant that he had seen sasquatch creatures along County Road in Coshocton County numerous times. Underscore the word numerous. So I watched this interview with him. And after I watched the interview, I thought, well, I just keep the video rolling, not doing anything else.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: So it comes to a video of August second, nineteen ninety two, and what I did was I was shooting footage of what we have nicknamed Sasquash Lake. It's not officially called that, but we called it Sasquashed Lake. I was shooting video of that lake. And I didn't like the position that I was shooting, so I thought, well, reposition myself. I've got a gold Star eight to one zoom VHS camquorder on my shoulder, my right shoulder, still filming. Didn't pause it. I'm still filming. I walk away from the lake, take several steps, stop for a second or two, and then I swing back around and shoot some more footage. That leads us up to December of ninety three, because I didn't watch that film footage the day that I shot it. In fact, I don't watch that film footage for seventeen and a half months, and so I'm watching this video and I'm still to today. You watched a video and you see this thing walking down the road, and I'm like, who was that? So I watch it again and again and again, and one thing led to another. We went out there numerous times, countless times. Daniel Perez went out there with me, and I believe it was August or September of nineteen ninety five. We did some very in depth investigations as far as the height of the bushes in the background, how far away I was from the road, how wide the road was approximately, how much ground this thing covered walking down this gravel road in the very brief time that you see it on video, as near as we could tell. Here are some statistics. It's on video tape for one point five seconds, one point five to five seconds. It's between two hundred and sixty two and two hundred and ninety two feet away from me. Where I'm standing as compared to where it was at is up a bit of an incline to where the road is. It levels off and then the road drops off just a hair behind where the peak of the hill is the little hill that I'm standing near the bottom of, and it's not really a hill, which is flat land that tapers off down toward the lake. It covered twenty eight feet give or tape, twenty eight feet and four steps in two seconds.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: That is mind boggling in and of itself. And there are four fence posts between me and it, whatever it is. So we measured the fence post and from the ground up, these fence posts are forty eight and forty nine inches high. This thing as it walks down the road, and we think it's on the far side of the road, and now I'll tell you why in a minute. As it walks down. It's waste. It's waste. What appears to be the waste of this thing is higher than what the top of the fence post are now at four feet. That would be impressive enough, but considering the fact that the road tapers off downhill and then drops off significantly to a creek down at the bottom of the hill on the opposite side of the road makes it even more impressive. It walked past what we called a two tier bush Daniel present. I measured this out. The shorter of the two tier bushes bush was just over nine feet tall. The taller one was around twelve feet tall. This thing appears to be as tall, if not taller, than what the shorter of these two tiered bush was. This two tiered bush. I honestly have officially no logical explanation as to what Sam Hill was contained on the videotape. I've had a lot of people tell me, not a lot of people. I've had one for a couple of guys tell me, well, it's a jogger in a suit. Okay, Well do me a favor. Let's go out there on August second of whatever year at six twenty eight pm. I'll stand where I was standing. Then I'll take a video camera and you take a jogger in a suit and walk him down to the opposite side of the road and let me film him. And let's see how similar it is to this film of August of ninety two. I had another person tell me it was a guy on horseback riding down the road. Really, why did it look like a bipedal individual is compared to a quadruped horse?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you said twenty eight feet in two seconds. By the way, did a little type in here in the computer here that turns out to be about nine and a half miles an hour. Pretty good, pretty good jaunt, I'd.
Speaker 2: Say, Yeah. I mean, you know, I might have lost for words because I have no way to explain it. I can't. I can't sit here and say, whoa it was a light colored bigfoot because number one, I didn't see it when I filmed it. And number two, do I really know what a big foot is supposed to look like? No, I mean I know what eye witnesses Teff told us. But you know, so it's twenty eight it covers twenty eight feet. I hadn't a person tell me believe it or not that it was a guy in a costume. I no, sorry, I can't buy that one. Let me give you another example on what we did to try and prove what it was or was not. I know a guy who is six foot nine. I had him take a very light blue colored bedsheet, wrap it around him, cut out two ihole was in this bedsheet, and walk down that road. Okay, to see how close he was in height as compared to what this thing was that walked down the road. And I can sit here and swear on a stack of bibles today he came nowhere near close as tall as that thing was, and he was six foot nine.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you know, somebody's got a lot of explaining to do, and that I don't think. I mean, you certainly have a little bit of explaining to do because you're telling us all these numbers and you were unfortunate enough not to notice it at the time. But for somebody who says that looking for another explanation, well, I don't know, I mean, nothing really fits the bill, right, Well you could say that, yeah, yeah, nothing really fits the bill.
Speaker 6: You can't nothing you can take to the bank. But that's how bigfoots roll. I mean you've seen you've seen the film. Anybody that watched the Monster Request episode saw the film. The Gentleman in Minnesota, I believe he's from the Twin Cities area that did the video work on it. Just pull up the Ohio Grassman Monster Quest episode if you haven't seen it, and watch it and come to your own conclusion as to what it was. But I can tell you I can assure you of one thing.
Speaker 2: You may think pro or con of me, and that's fine whoever listens to this. But I can assure you of one thing. There is absolutely no need in the world whatsoever for me to have faked that video, because it would have made my life that much more difficult. It's a lot more difficult to live up to a lie than what it is to live up to the truth. And we've never been able to determine what's on the video. I don't know if you know who the fellows are that belonged to a group called the Enigma Project located in Maryland. One of the guys is a fellow by the name of Mike Frizell. Another one is a fellow by the name of Marcus Adams. They seen the video, they took a copy of the video back with them. Marcus Adams did a lot of video work on it as well, frame by frame. I've got a disc here that has each individual frame on that disc. There's forty frames in that one point five seconds that were videotaped. They went out there one day with me. When they came over here, we got two by fours. They had a laser beam with them, a machine that emits a laser. Did a lot of work. I've still got the video somewhere. I believe it was in the mid nineties when it took place. When we did it, they tried to find out how tall this thing was. Everybody that's tried to do a really good analytical work on the video and try and find out how tall it was. As far as I can remember, no one has come up with anything under eight and a half feet tall.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: It's just another piece of videotape that hasn't been explained away yet satisfactory in my mind, and I honestly welcome anyone who hasn't what they think is the explanation as to what it is. All I want to do is go out there with them and let them show me how they came to the conclusion. And if they're able to duplicate what's on the film, then all right, great, we know what it was. But so far, no one's invited me out to the film site with them to see what they were able to duplicate to prove that it's one thing or the other. So as far as that goes, as far as I'm concerned, it's still an unknown.
Speaker 1: Wow. And again this is just a tip of the iceberg. I'm looking at our time thinking, man, we do need another two hours on this one. But you know, you were just such a wealth of knowledge and memories, far better than mine apparently, but because you remember these names and dates, just rattle them off. And as an example of that, when I was out in Ohio in May, I called you from the field. I called, hey, do you have anything from this area? And you said, well, that a lot happens there. And then then you said wait a minute, and then you came back. Was it Carroll County or Carrollton? You said, oh, you know. One time I was called out there by the cops and there's fingerprints and smudges and things, and they say, man, you you there's police reports and your experience, your field work and experience is just it's mind boggling, frankly. So let's talk about other physical traces, because that that the fingerprints and all that sort of stuff reminded me that what other physical traces of sasquatches have you run across in your in your history of bigfoot field investigation.
Speaker 2: Well, we've seen a number of footprints in the ground that may or may not have been you know, the real thing I've I've seen footprints in the ground that turn out to be fake. We know that ninety nine point nine percent sure that they were faked. They were hoaxed for whatever reason. But we're also we've also seen footprints on the ground that we don't have any explanation for. There have been individuals to discover some hairs that I sent to doctor Henry Fahrenbeck as well as as there was another one and I can't for some reason the name escapes me, but the hairs were checked at that point in time amongst other known primate hairs, and if I remember correctly, this particular example, this sample of hairs came back that he couldn't identify it specifically. It might have been in the primate range of things, but it wasn't anything that he had a sample for on file. That set of hairs actually came from Columbiana County, and I believe that was in naeen ninety five. I was contacted about a very large what the witness called he had an encounter. He had a siding when he was deer hunting, and he came upon a tree as he was walking back to his mother's property, and on the tree he discovered what he could only describe as four very large, very wide finger smudges on the side of a tree, apparently from someone or something that had a hand in the mud or something to that effect, and for whatever reason, it had placed its hand on this tree. And I didn't see the finger smudges myself, but I've seen a photograph of him. These things were seven feet off the ground. And this is also the same tree that this gentleman pulled these reddish colored hairs off of that he gave me a sample of that. I sent a sample to doctor Fahrenbach. That is the kind of thing that you look at and say, what does this guy have to gain by faking something like this, by you know, cutting the hair off of a Barbie doll and trying to pass it off a sasquatch. I don't know you talked about the Carroll County incident that was in I believe April nineteen ninety five. I had a gentleman tell me about a very brief mention in the police report. The Times Reporter out of New Philadelphia used to publish the police log on a daily basis, and this particular entry in the police log there was a report of regularing eyes being seen at the woodline of a property in Carroll County that the Carroll County Sheriff's Department had investigated. Okay, great, I call Matt Hesson up. I say, hey, you want to take a ride, Let's go to Carroll. Oh okay, let's do that. So we get up there. I'm like really reluctant to go to the Sheriff's department and say, hey, I'm a big footer. Can you tell me? You know, you tell me what happened? But I got up there. I talked to the gentleman. He said, you're don keating, And I said, yeah, he said, we were just trying to figure out how to get a hold of you. I said, well, here I am. They went out there and they checked this out. The Carroll County Sheriff's Department did They lifted a fingerprint off of the front window of a storm door of a mobile home. They give me a xerox copy of that report and of that fingerprint smudge. They still have it in their files. This thing was huge. They couldn't describe or explain what made this handprint on this window. It wasn't just one fingerprint, it was an entire palm print, and the four fingers and the thumb left a smudge on this window. These are sheriff guys. They're telling me they have no idea what this was. And I went out and talked to the residents. They were very open with me, very welcoming to my knowledge, held nothing back. They said, you know, we can go look for some tracks if you're interested. Okay, so we start walking up this road. Guess what. There is a very long series of barefooted tracks that went up the side of this road that were four five feet apart from each other, going uphill, that measured approximately I don't remember exactly what the measurements were, but I know they were fourteen or fifteen inches in length. All five digits showed up very clearly. It's this kind of stuff that you have to sit back, scratch your head and say, now, let's examine this and wonder why these guys would fake this stuff. They're not looking for publicity. They called the Sheriff's department. Sheriff's department was very open with me. They gave me the name, address, and phone number of the people. They were very welcoming because they wanted to talk to someone who had done investigations into this kind of thing to tell us about it. They wanted to talk to us. That's why I started the meetings back in nineteen eighty five. You know you hear of support groups. I wanted to start the meetings not only to get people to come out of the wood work to tell about their encounters. I wanted to start the meetings as a support group that if someone had actually encountered this thing, or discovered footprints, or heard something yell, or whatever the case may be, they would have a venue they could go to without fear of ridicule. That's how you get your reports. You don't broadcast or name over the airways. You don't give their address out an anonymity. If they ask for it, you give it and you talk to these people. And that's how you gain the trust of the general public. And I've published next to nothing in the way of names ever. But going back to the physical evidence, like the hand prints, not only one, but two handprints that I've been fortunate enough to hear about and talk to the people about. I mean, the question is what did and the answer is, I have no idea. I mean, I have an idea, but I didn't see it happen when it happened. So you know, there you have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you heard them vocalized before?
Speaker 2: I've heard vocals in the woods numerous times.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The one time that I heard it was on September fifteenth of nineteen ninety one, middle of the afternoon. It was like ninety degrees outside. Myself and another fellow by Themaric Rick Morris, were during research again in kush Auckton County. The only thing that I can describe it like it would be a mournful cry. And that's that's That's the one noise that I've heard of all the times being in the woods that I think could have been the legitimate thing. Just once, uh, just just the one time. Yeah, I've heard a lot of noises in the past that could be something else, because you know, the forest distorts the sound. If you're in a patch of woods and you hear the noise, is it in the same patch of woods that you are, or is it outside of that patch of woods and you're catching it through the trees. So I'm not really I've heard other noises that could be but that one time, I'm really really high up on my list that you know, could have been the real thing.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard Ohio.
Speaker 2: I've heard it from what Matt recorded, but I've never heard heard it in the field.
Speaker 1: So what are you doing nowadays with bigfoot on? I mean you just kind of hang up the syrups a little bit, or you're dipping your feet back in the pool. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I had gotten out of it since about twenty twelve, and then last year year before last fell by the name of David Wickham from Kushocton, Ohio, fifteen miles down the road for me. He contacted me and wanted to meet up talk about some of the stuff that I've investigated and things like that. One thing led to another and he said, hey, listen, I'm seriously considering about getting a conference together. Would you be interested in speaking? And I'm like, I had split decision on that. I was like, dude, I'm not doing anything with Bigfoot. I don't want to get back into it. And at the same time, I'm thinking this would be a great avenue for me to go talk talk about some of the more interesting stuff that's happened in my past and to set the record street on a couple of things. So I'm not into it. I'm not back into it full time, not even really part time. Just from time to time I'll cruise the backroads, you know, and try to do some wildlife photography, and if something out of the ordinary happens, well, so be it. But I recently wrote a small booklet titled Big Dreams and Bigfoot, and I quoted a memoir because it's how I when I started out as a kid, like I told you earlier, wanted to be a TV meteorologist, And instead of being a TV meteorologist, I ended up being a paranormal researcher cryptozoologist as they say, And you know, I talked about some of the most interesting stuff that has happened in my lifetime doing the investigations, and so that's kind of like where I'm at today. Every now and then I'll get somebody ask me, Hey, anything new going on. I look at him like, do I have a third eyeball growing on my forehead? I'm not doing active investigations, and so no, I don't know of anything new. I tried to distance myself away from it as much as I possibly can because I've found a certain amount of peace from getting out of it, and it's kind of like the way I would like to keep it. Although I've showed up at the Ohio conference at Salt Fork the last couple of years just to visit with people, and then I've shown up at the Sasquatch Triangle conference that David started in Cushocton, so I've got a little bit of input on that. But that's where I'm at today. You know, if anybody wants tell me about their story, I'll be happy to listen to them and even go out to the spot and see what it looked like where they had the encounter. But I don't go out of my way like I used to. I used to go out into the woods every weekend from nineteen eighty five all the way through two thousand and ten, twenty eleven, twenty twelve. You know, if I could have the money back just from gasoline, i'd be a rich person.
Speaker 1: You know, it sounds like you're you're bowing out of the field. Kind of coincided with the start of finding Bigfoot and the huge influx of newbies and everybody else coming on board. So good timing on your part, I think, yeah, I agree with you. Well, all right, don thank you so much for coming on Bigfoot and beyond. I know you don't grant a lot of interviews, and I'm just so very thankful that you grace us with your presence and because you're you're for me a glimpse into the history of the subject. And that's not because you're old and stuff. Don't take don't take that. Don't take it like that. You're not that much older than me. But I see this thing as I see the Bigfoot history as a generational thing. You know, there's like the pre history and whatnot, and then there's the four Horsemen, which are kind of the first generation. But then there's you, there's you and literary lund and people like that, and then you go to the next generation, and I kind of see myself as part of the third or even fourth generation of Bigfooters coming up. So when I get to speak to an elder statesman like yourself, someone who was there, who had boots on the ground, who was pioneering in a state that no one had touched and no one really took seriously beyond perhaps John Green and a small handful of other people's, it's just a great pleasure for me personally to get a glimpse into that history from a witness of that history, and the fact that I can call you a friend and call you at any time, it just means the world to me. So thank you so much, Don for everything, and probably not the least of which coming on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much, Cliff for the kind words. I really appreciate it. You know, I have John Green to thank for me getting involved, and I appreciate your time, and I appreciate you asking me to be on the show. I had fun. And if you ever need a time filler or anything like that in the future, you know, give me a call. I'll be happy to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh fantastic cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks a lot, Don. I appreciate you. I've always looked up to you in a well respect the name in the bigfoot community, so I really appreciate you coming on with us.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bobo. It was good talking to you again. And hopefully someday down the road we can sit down and share a beverage and talk some stories.
Speaker 1: I love that, all right, Don, will you take it easy? Thank you so much again, Thank you. Well, there you go, Bobs. How was that man?
Speaker 3: That was great? I didn't talk much because it was he just he knew what to say and just kept rolling. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things like I like, how much do I ask questions? I just want to listen, you know, Yeah, I just want to I don't want to interrupt any stories and whatnot. But but there are so many things I wanted to ask him about. Well, I mean, Ohio is just the gift that keeps on giving man. So many good researchers, so many bigfoot reports and whatnot out of there thanks to the bigfoot researchers out there, and such a long history of it too. It was so cool to have Dawn on tonight just because I mean, I Bob, I know, Bobo that you're like me, that you just love the history of this subject that we're swimming in. It's just so neat to have people on that who knew everybody and saw everything.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean in Ohio. I mean that's that's the episode on The's the Mississippi for sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, I think so too. Well. All right, well, it looks like this is the end of another Bigfoot and Beyond here. So if people out there listening, if you have questions for us, if you want to leave comments for us, go to the website Bigfoot and Beyond podcast dot com and push the contact button or just follow the links and you can leave us a voicemail. You can leave us an email, ask us questions whatever you want. And also, don't forget we have really cool Bigfoot and Beyond shirts. You can get those at sasquatchprints dot com. And uh, I don't know, I'm wearing one now. I'm literally wearing one now, so and I look great. Can't you tell on radio?
Speaker 3: You sound good?
Speaker 1: Darn right? It's the shirt.
Speaker 3: I figured that's what it was, all right.
Speaker 1: Both man, take us home, all right.
Speaker 3: Folks, thanks for listening. We appreciate it. Tell your friends and family, hit like, hit share, spread the word of the squatch. So until next week, keep it squatchy.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.