Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace and War, another great story based on Frederick L. Collins copyrighted book The FBI in Peace and War Drama, thrills action. Tonight's story the serious type. Well, I think we have all the information the club needs. I'm very happy to welcome you as a member, Missus Gordon.
Speaker 2: That's all there.
Speaker 1: Is to it, that's all outside of the small membership. He of course, what did you expect?
Speaker 2: Tell the truth? I really don't know. I'm being silly hard You.
Speaker 1: Most certainly are not believe in us. To Gordon, you are not different than any other new member. Naturally, it feels a bit strange at first. I don't imagine it ever occurred to you that you might come to a place like this.
Speaker 2: No, it didn't.
Speaker 1: Why did you beg pardon, come to a place like this because you were lonely? Isn't that it?
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess it is.
Speaker 3: Ever since mister Gordon passed on five years ago.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I know. You'd be surprised how many times I've listened to the same story. A dear one leaves us, and we find ourselves suddenly long for a time, memory of the departed is sufficient, But after a while you.
Speaker 2: Do know, don't you?
Speaker 1: Only too well? Life wasn't meant to live by oneself. One searches, one hears the friendship clubs, one reads of them, yet fails to act, Missus Gordon. Yes, as a new member of the Clooney Friendship Club, you're automatically entitled to meet all or any one of our more than five hundred thoroughly investigated male clam tell. In a moment, I'm going to show you a handsome photographic catalog. But before I do, I'm going to make a suggestion, if I have your permission. Of course, Doc, I'm not a medical man, Misus Gordon. My degrees are in theology and the social sciences, and so I'm not overstepping myself when I say I know an unusual human being when I see one, a human being not subject to the whims and wish of vanity and flesh, a human being desirous of meeting. Not a younger man, not as a privileged man, but a man of substance, mister Gordon, of dignity of stature, a serious type. I'm going to make the suggestion that you forget the photographic cadillac, Missus Gordon, for other women prasp, but not for you. I'm going to suggest that you leave the selection to me. I have in mind for you the serious type, Missus Gordon, a gentleman I'm confident will fulfill every hope you had when you so wisely decided to join the Cloney friendship up. The Federal Bureau of Investigation began to receive complaints against Calvin Doc Clooney during the early part of last year. Although the statements filed were inconclusive, containing varying omissions, the general pattern essentially was the same, and it was clear that Clooney was using a legitimate business front to work a large scale swindle on lonely people in desperate search for companionship. Agent Reynolds and I were assigned actively to track him down, along with his wife and a con man known variously as side Carley, carl Sidney and Sidney Carlton.
Speaker 2: So I was still I didn't know it was you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said just a minute, Docim yes, well while waiting this is a friendship club house for a little friendship.
Speaker 4: Carry it out?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you crazy?
Speaker 1: Crazy about you?
Speaker 3: Know me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: It's it, Doc, You ought to take chairs.
Speaker 1: It's like that you dal me, Hi, doc, take that friendly look off your face. It's only made sinnema voice, and that rest is normal. There's a jar of Martinez Sweetie in the ice section of the watercooler. Oh, how to go? If someone comes in? Are you're going to your act? Don't mind me? Went perfect, doctor, that's the way you said. I'm a widower from Ohio. I've got a good, steady business, nice income. I've been wanting to meet a decent, nice appearing woman close to my age. Yeah, they were, where'd you go? And you said, no bars for this one. The museum sounded right. She's got a big thing for some clown named El Greco. No bars, all right, but you in a museum, I don't know what do you mean? All business? That's me eighteen holes in the office. I'm aching for culture. So let's me see you show me, Oh, Lucille, that thanks too, lovely Lucille. And how much we're taking for anyway? Anyway? From five to fifteen thousand, she's gone ten more, according to her confidential chart, how he left the lady nicely here.
Speaker 3: The pen room house, a full time maid who could afford them anymore?
Speaker 1: All you have to do sit is the builder confidence if I give the word and builder confidence. When that's passed, tense, I've already been asked for dinner Saturday night, No fool, Why not? After all, I'm the serious type, and the serious type always gets a quick invite for the Pope chot cream Leo.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't you know?
Speaker 1: Okay, sir, it's you and lovely Lucy and friendship, normal, good old friendship. Don't forget that. Back to the serious type and just above the actions of our American military man governed by a code of conduct, and each man, by remaining faithful to the code, honors the uniform he wears, whether he be soldiers, sailors, airmen, or marine. This faithfulness to the code is demonstrated by him not only in combat, but in time of peace. His creed is voiced in these words from the Good Book. I have fought a good fight. I have finished my course. I have kept the faith. That's what the code means to the American military man. Back two Tonight's story on the FBI in Peace and War, the serious Type. Our first substantial lead came from the police department in New York. A Broadway character named Shrimpy Speedwack had poured out a complaint that sounded very much like Doc Clooney in company, and one agent Reynolds call on him. Our presumption turned out to be a fact. And you're sure this is the woman, missus Spewack?
Speaker 4: Am I sure?
Speaker 5: He asked me, the woman Shrimpy Speedwack almost married?
Speaker 2: Am I sure?
Speaker 4: He asked me? Are you ah sure?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: Sure, I'm sure. Are you sure you're from the FBI?
Speaker 1: I'm sure?
Speaker 5: Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 1: I want to see Mi cred Henchels again.
Speaker 5: Hey, listen, I take your word. All I say is why don't you take mine?
Speaker 1: Not now, mister Stewack. You knew the woman was married to Doc Clooney, didn't you?
Speaker 4: Oh sure, I know?
Speaker 5: I know now since you told me, then I know nothing. I see a couple of weeks. Should be back from visiting on folks, she tells me. In a couple of weeks, I get back every Nichols.
Speaker 4: She borrowed off of me. Three months.
Speaker 5: The only thing I get is a crummy postcard saying have patient so it won't belong now.
Speaker 1: Not now you you got a postcard for her, mister Speedway.
Speaker 4: That's all. How do you like that.
Speaker 5: Listen, mister, I don't like to rush you, but I got business to it.
Speaker 1: Then I won't keep you much longer. Do you still have the card?
Speaker 5: I give it to the desk, SiGe and down to clink the station house.
Speaker 4: Not now, well, so long, mister. It's nice to see you.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going. I want to call my colleague in Washington. Okay if I use your phone, this phone for birth charges.
Speaker 4: It's out of order. Out gone, it's out of order.
Speaker 2: In't going.
Speaker 4: It's all it takes, not now, so help me in going only.
Speaker 1: Goodbye, missus beeewack. Thanks for your cooperation. I'll be in touch with you.
Speaker 4: Never mind me be in touch with my money. There's a paystation right down the hall.
Speaker 5: Shut that door on your way out, and don't forget my five gs.
Speaker 1: I said, I take your word all I say, why don't you take mine?
Speaker 4: Okay? Okay, could I purple? What's here?
Speaker 5: Everybody's got to get down when I'm with an FBI of all people, honey boy, you got it?
Speaker 4: Five hundred snots?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Adrian Ronolds, you got Adrian Roynolds always this Oh it's you sage. No, No, he's gone. If you ask me, so's my five geez? A young fellow like that they assigned to my case, You ask me, those crooks haven't got to worry in the world.
Speaker 4: Come on, I love it.
Speaker 1: And so we stay home and talk and after a while she says, Sydney, Sydney, isn't that sweet? She says, Sydney, what about the future? And I say what about the future? And she says, you've thought about it, haven't you like that? I'm telling you she practically got done on unees and proposed. She's anxious, normal, real anxious. And I guess I'm just as charming as you always said.
Speaker 2: I always said you were a charming louse.
Speaker 1: Dear, what's the differences? Long as it pays halfen dollars and sons pay on positive. I even set up the important phone call I'm expecting from Washington. Fifteen thousand little payoff, just like the doc said.
Speaker 6: Fifteen thousand and five reaches.
Speaker 1: Seven thousand, five hundred two unto fifteen thousand two. Freezer crowd in this racket norma doc's excess baggage. And you know it dead.
Speaker 6: Yes, I told you once before, I don't like that kind of talk.
Speaker 1: You told me lots of things before, honey, but you never said you didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Well I'm saying it now.
Speaker 1: Come on, normal, doc smelling to you. He's been nothing for ten years, one of the bigger It's time we narrow the field the way we should have done long ago.
Speaker 2: Fifty dead. Listen to me.
Speaker 1: Who Yeah, I'm listening.
Speaker 2: I got a think, said I need come.
Speaker 1: Sure, honey, you think we got nothing but time? All the waited tomorrow night? Chair comfortable, Sidney, any chair would be comfortable after your marvelous meals. You're going to spoil me, Lucille, you really are.
Speaker 2: I want to spoil you.
Speaker 3: A woman should make things easy for a man.
Speaker 2: Shall I turn on the television?
Speaker 1: Not just now. I I'd rather have you sit here beside me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We can let the rest of the world go by, eh, no one but just the two of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sydney.
Speaker 1: You know, Lucille, I've been thinking things.
Speaker 2: What things?
Speaker 1: You know what you were saying the other night, the future? What lies ahead?
Speaker 3: I hope I didn't talk out of turn.
Speaker 1: You didn't know. I'm glad you spoke the way you did. You are, yes, sir, I'm glad that's the trouble with people get to know one another, like each other, and still somehow won't put out a hand. Lucille, Yes, didn't. If I say something, ask you something, you wouldn't laugh at me?
Speaker 2: Would you laugh at you?
Speaker 1: You wouldn't, would you, Sydney?
Speaker 3: How could you even think such a single?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Who could that be?
Speaker 1: Let it rain?
Speaker 2: Is something important? I just better find out.
Speaker 1: People never let you alone when you want them to.
Speaker 6: Will now get rid of whoever it is quickly?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 6: Hello, is mister Carlton there? Mister Sydney Carton his hotel said he was at this number.
Speaker 2: Why, yes, that's right. This is long.
Speaker 6: Distance calling mister Hoover in Washington. Would you put mister Carlton on please?
Speaker 3: Yes, surely, just one moment Sydney for me, mister Hoover in Washington.
Speaker 1: Of course I took the liberty of telling the hotel you don't mind you.
Speaker 3: Nothing believed mister Herby Hoover.
Speaker 1: Mister Albert Hoover, my stockbooker. Oh, I've been waiting for this call between the two of us. It has a good deal to do with what I was about to ask you. Mister cousin speaking Hello, say it's me prize, not at all. I was expecting it.
Speaker 6: I'm an idiot to do and I know what. That's life. I guess that, lovely.
Speaker 1: Lucille as Yes, thank you. Hello, Hell, how are you?
Speaker 6: It's mad? She's standing close by.
Speaker 1: Yes, certainly, I'll send you a check by registered mayor end of this month.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll shut up, go ahead for it?
Speaker 3: On.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I know I know that, Al, but I'm afraid I can't raise another penny just now, aren't you. Well, I can't help it. If they guarantee a twenty point rise, it's still out of the question. I'm sorry, Al, I need all available cash for certain personal plans I'm hoping to make. No, there's nothing more important. Believe me right away. Listen. I don't like to pass up a clear prophet like that. But where could I possibly raise fifteen thousand dollars by Friday morning, isn't he? Yes, dearest, hold on now given.
Speaker 2: If you need a little money unto the end of the month.
Speaker 1: Don't be absurd to see you. I couldn't borrow money from you. No, I'm sorry, Al, You'll just have to count me out. Goodbye, Sydney.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that Sydney.
Speaker 1: No, I will not talk any more about it, Lucie. I'm firm on that I couldn't borrow money from a woman, not even if it meant canceling certain personal plans. I just couldn't vncil back to the Sirius type in just a moment, friends, this is Jimmy Wallington. You know, many great men have attained the highest office in our land, the presidency of the United States. Can you guess the name of this man? He was born in Virginia in seventeen fifty one, graduated from Princeton College, and took postgraduate work in Hebrews, theology, philosophy, and law. As a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of seventeen eighty seven, he had much influence in framing and shaping the constitution of our country. Many important men President George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Benjamin Franklin, among others, but they all agreed that this man was the real father of the Constitution. When he was elected to the presidency in eighteen hundred and eight, his services to the struggling young Republic placed him in the first rank of her statesman. When you should have his name by now But in case you don't, here's one more important clue. He was our first wartime president. His administration saw the beginning and the end of the War of eighteen twelve. Yes, he was James Madison, fourth President of the United States. His life is part of your American heritage. Fact free of Tonight's story on the FBI in Peace and War.
Speaker 2: Cloney Friendship Club.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Oh Coloney Friendship Club.
Speaker 2: This is me mine, don't we Field Chippy this morning? How did it all go perfect? How do you think that Hi was a client?
Speaker 1: Good? Yes, see, he stays occupied till I pick up our fifteen thousand this afternoon, giving it the fifteen She's won me over at three o'clock last night. I put up quite a struggle, but I simply can't fight tears.
Speaker 3: Never underestimate the power of lovely lu Field when she had wedding boughs on a sweet conniving mind. Now, as soon as I picked hold on one minute, said, someone just came in.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm not sure I'm in the right places this this is the.
Speaker 2: Cloney Friendship Club.
Speaker 1: I'm in the right place, of course you are.
Speaker 3: Everyone feels a bit stranger first come in.
Speaker 2: I'll be right with you, said, I'll have to hang up now. Why don't you call me later in the.
Speaker 1: Day, Honey, I'll call you later as soon as Lucille and her money are soon parted by sit down, Won't you please thank you? No?
Speaker 3: First, suppose I tell you all about out of the club, mister Reynolds, Asia Reynolds.
Speaker 1: Suppose you do tell me all about your little club, missus Coney. I'm really most anxious to hear you in the afternoon. You see you, Oh my dear lovely day, isn't it good?
Speaker 2: Afternoon, Sydney, Come in, won't.
Speaker 1: You thank you?
Speaker 3: I'm glad to see you're in such high spirits. When you left last night you looked so glum.
Speaker 1: I felt glum. But then I said to myself, now that's just foolish and dumb.
Speaker 2: I O you said that, Just put your hat over there with it.
Speaker 1: I said, just that. After all, I am only borrowing the money till the end of the month, and to.
Speaker 3: Pass up an opportunity of a life a marriage along with it.
Speaker 1: Exactly. So, first thing this morning I called al Hoover and said, I.
Speaker 3: Come into the living room, Sydney. There's someone I want you to meet.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm afraid I can't stay too long. Dear, I'm due on the five o'clock flight to Washington. I said, now I changed my thinking, and that you have been passion of yours. I'll be down Sydney.
Speaker 3: I'd like you to meet my friend and advisor, doctor Clooney. Doctor, this is Sydney Carton. Or have you two already met?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, Missus Clooney handles all our male client tell although of course I know Missus Carton by way of photograph and the reputation. How do you do, mister Calton? I can't tell you what meeting you here means to me. How do you sit down Sydney?
Speaker 2: You can all have a little chat.
Speaker 3: I was just telling doctor Clooney all about.
Speaker 2: Us, wasn't I that?
Speaker 1: Oh? She was, indeed, mister Carton, all about you. Well, like I said, you see, if I can't stay long now you have to catch the.
Speaker 2: Five o'clock flight at four o'clock.
Speaker 1: You said that five o'clock daylight. Therefore, standing you're leaving town, Missus Calton. No, that is yes, that is briefly. Didn't your wife tell you? No, she didn't. As a matter of fact, if missus Gordon had happened to call with the good news. I'd never have known about the wedding or financial plans. Financial. I'm surprised at you, mister Carlton. You know the rules of the club, don't you. Your plans of any nature between members must be processed through proper channels and the gardens without charter. You know that, don't you. Well, yes, yes, of course. Well I really must.
Speaker 2: Run with you without the money, Sidney.
Speaker 1: Yes, you don't want to leave without the money one the fifteen thousand. In spite of this flagrant breach, I couldn't resist the charm and sincerity of this lovely lady. She won me over completely. You mean, he.
Speaker 3: Means it's all right for me to lend you the money if you give your word you'll never breach the rules again.
Speaker 1: You give you a word, mister Carlton, you swear, Oh I do. I go up and down a really lovely lady, sir. I only hope you appreciate her. Well, here you are my personal check for fifteen thousand dollars. You're what my personal check. Now that the breach has been discovered, Missus Gordon has rectified it by giving me her fifteen thousand to record through proper club channels. She's giving you the money, she's already given it. Well, Mistercarden, I don't want to keep you. If you're catching the four o'clock, I could catch the five and pack it. Pardon, hello, Hello is mister Sidney Coppler?
Speaker 2: Please, yes, he is just one minute? Please to me.
Speaker 1: It's for you, for me, I think it's I tell him I've left. I'm catching the four. You could catch the five.
Speaker 2: I've already said you were here.
Speaker 1: You rather I speak? No, no, no, no, I'll speak.
Speaker 2: Tell him you got the check and not to go ahead without you the.
Speaker 1: Check on her? Hello?
Speaker 6: There is he?
Speaker 1: Ever? So I'm too late to tell him about the chicks?
Speaker 6: What do you do?
Speaker 1: What can I do? I'm catching at four o'clock to Washington.
Speaker 6: I know that's where this one's taking.
Speaker 1: Me, this one to that one to be taking you that one.
Speaker 6: Agent Stephens. Adrian Reynolds told me what that agent Stephens to be taking you?
Speaker 1: Taking who you.
Speaker 6: Agent Reynolds is taking me? I said, I didn't think the FB I would play such a dirty tricky to call and find out FB. I, what's the.
Speaker 3: Matter with you?
Speaker 6: He said he was there, didn't you, Sydney.
Speaker 2: Well was it? Mister? Who is?
Speaker 1: Who is Washington? FBI? Sidney? What is this.
Speaker 2: You're he's Agent Stephens.
Speaker 3: I let him use my dining room from the privilege of overhearing your conversation.
Speaker 1: Agent Stevens. That's right, Doc. We've been trying to catch up with you instead of Carlton for quite a while now. Missus Gordon was good enough to co operate by calling you forrest and inviting you over here. What are you saying? You're linking me with this this Missus Gordon, kindly tell this chick.
Speaker 2: I've already told him, Doctor.
Speaker 3: Then he told me about your racket?
Speaker 1: Racket? Are you trying to imply that the clooney friendship clever? I'll get it Dock And he got his fall away from Sun. Why you lousy tupid for Doc, Take it easy, save your voice for the bureau. We'll let you talk down there if you're just where do you think you're taking me? Where out of Washington? Doc? On the four o'clock And if I were you, if I were either of you, Yeah, if I were, I wouldn't object too Strenuously resisting a government officer is a very serious offense, and believe me, I'm a very serious type, Calvin, Doc Clooney said. Carlton and Normal Clooney were indicted, brought to trial, and convicted. The prison sentence this for Clooney and Carlton were for six years each, Normal Clooney receiving a lesser term of four years. Lucille Gordon was a forthright and attractive witness on the stand, and it's our guests, she'll have better luck next time with the serious type. In tonight's story, Paul McGrath played the part of Doctney. Bill Johnston was Sydney Carr. This radio dramatization for the FBI and Piece of War was written by Jack Anson. Fake These programs are produced and directed by Betty Mandeville. All names and characters used on the program are fictitious. Any similarity to person's living or dead is purely coincidental. This program is based upon Frederick L. Collins copyrighted book The FBI in Peace and War. This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and Television service