Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I AM six forty. The Bill handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f.
Speaker 2: Now, first hundred days.
Speaker 1: I think today is the first of the first hundred days, if I'm not mistaken. And what ends up happening with every president for some reason, the first hundred days is some kind of bell weather as to where the presidency is going. This actually came out of FDR Franklin Roosevelt, of which Donald Trump has compared himself, both positively and negatively several times, sort of bounces back and forth on this. What FDR did in the first hundred days was change America, just up ended America. Donald Trump much the same thing, has revolutionized the way Americans look at each other.
Speaker 2: The way we look at the world. Some differences, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Starting with FDR Franklin Roosevelt comes into the presidency in nineteen thirty two, at the beginning, well into the Great Depression. It was one of the worst episodes in the history of this country. The entire economic system that we had fell apart.
Speaker 2: The stock market plunged. That was Black Tuesday.
Speaker 1: I mean, we went into a ten year or at least an eight year depression.
Speaker 2: That caused so much misery.
Speaker 1: So Herbert Hoover, the previous president, just kept on saying, this is just a blip.
Speaker 2: It's not going to be a problem. We're going to come back.
Speaker 1: As more and more people were losing their jobs, as more and more people were losing their homes, their farms, as they started to starve, it's not that complicated. And so FDR comes in and he starts passing legislation, and I mean immediately things like the National Recovery Act and the NRA and then the Civilian Conservation Corps. And then it comes in in nineteen thirty five.
Speaker 2: With Social Security, just changes everything.
Speaker 1: And the difference is here was a president who had wild support, not nearly as of polarized, because keep in mind, he came into a Congress that was not particularly in favor of him. An FDR had overwhelming bipartisan support. And whether you agree or not, and yes, a lot of socialism came in.
Speaker 2: What is medicare if not socialism?
Speaker 1: Then what happened was Congress was just totally in favor of him. He passed those bills with Congress, and he drafted the legislation with Congress in mind.
Speaker 2: Now, what Trump is doing.
Speaker 1: Is it's all executive order because he's not going to be able to get Congress to agree on this stuff. So it's all then by executive order, which did not happen in FDRs, in FDR's era. And the difference is DR inherited a calamity of gargantuan's proportions, even as President Trump says he inherited the worst economy in the history of the United States. The most the decay, our decay, in morals, our decay, and how we function as a country. He is coming back and saving us from ourselves, actually saving us from the Biden administration, saving us from the Liberals, saving us.
Speaker 2: From the previous congresses.
Speaker 1: He is going to knock inflation down because inflation is out of control. Well not really, and of course all the day ones, day one, I'm going to do this, and it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen.
Speaker 1: And so the difference is that President Trump has taken a country.
Speaker 2: That was in relatively good shape, at least financially.
Speaker 1: You can argue about the moral decay one way or the other. That's a value judgment, but you can't argue facts. You can't argue that the economy the day he took it over was in good shap. Unemployment was down to four percent, We had inflation that was under control by the time he took office. Immigration it's a different issue now. Do I believe that immigration is the most important thing in our country right now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I have any illegal aliens, any illegal migrants taken my job?
Speaker 2: No? Have they taken your job?
Speaker 1: No? Is there an invasion. You can argue yes or no about that. I think that's up for argument. But as far as it's destroying our country, yeah, I got other things to think about DEI destroying our country, wiping it out.
Speaker 2: I got other things to talk about. Wokeness.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not happy with woke But is that more important than, for example, where the economy is going.
Speaker 2: That's important to me.
Speaker 1: And then this issue of tariffs, the immigration issue is getting more attention now than Terra's for the last few days. Tariffs are going to cost you your job. It's costing me my business because my partner and I import from China and the cookwaar we import is made out of aluminum or stainless steel, and so we're looking at one hundred and forty five percent tariff plus the twenty five percent tariff on top of that for the stainless steel. So we have goods coming in from China. They're on a ship right now coming in. I got a container full of this cookware. For every one hundred dollars worth of goods that we're buying, we have to write a check to the government for another one hundred and eighty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Keep on doing that. We're done.
Speaker 1: Hundreds of thousands of businesses are done, finished, And wait till that really hits home. If this tariff war continues, That to me is a lot more important than the immigration issue.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's not wonderful.
Speaker 1: I get it, and I give kudos to Trump to shutting down the border. No one's getting in, that's for sure, and there's an argument to be said that that is where we should go, because we just don't have room anymore for all the people that want to come in the United States, and for those people that say we have to house these people, we have to allow them in. We are a country of immigrants. We were a country of immigrants. We are no longer a country of immigrants. I mean, you know, certainly the progeny of what came in. We are, that's who we are.
Speaker 2: But there's no room anymore. There's no economy for millions of people coming in over the border.
Speaker 1: So to his credit, shutting down is I think legitimate the way he's doing it. I'm not thrilled about the way deportations are happening without due process. Yeah, yeah, I'm not thrilled about that. And the big problem is even those people that agree with what Donald Trump is doing, and now look at his approval level, which is now dropping like a rock. Even those who agree with him think that he is taking too broad a brush here, moving too quickly, doing too much in too little time. So as you here compare himself to FDR. FDR came in at one of the worst times in the history of this country and literally saved millions of people from starving. That is not what's happening here. Okay, coming up, I'll tell you what is happening here. We have a little bit of an issue with conflict of interest between Elon Musk and the United States government. And I'll tell you two people who don't think it's a conflict. One is Elon Musk. The other one, yeah, you guess we'll be back with that.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from K six forty.
Speaker 1: On a Taco Tuesday, April twenty nine. Some of the stories we are looking at. The president has been the president for one hundred days. First hundred days is up, which is sort of an arbitrary line in the sand kind of date, but it goes back to FDR's first hundred dates. And I just did a segment on what it actually means, certainly in my life in my opinion.
Speaker 2: So that's up.
Speaker 1: You listen to that on demand. And then today La County the workers are on strike, fifty five thousand of them, and so and you've got and as I said earlier, and this is a good news in one sense is if you're going to a county hospital and you're waiting for the er, you'll never be able to tell that there's nobody there helping anybody, because you're sitting there, whether they are or aren't. Now, conflict of interests, it used.
Speaker 2: To be that way.
Speaker 1: Anybody he had anything to do with the government and was a business person. The separation had to be virtually complete. For example, who was it Ruben? Who was its secretary? The Treasure's Secretary of the Treasury Department I think was under George Bush. Very wealthy guy, immediately put everything he had into a blind trust, a lot of money. He wasn't going to touch it. I mean, that is the way it goes. The presidents have done that. Those who have an enormous amount of money or those that are reasonably wealthy blind trust. You know, no conflict. Well, let me tell you about this administration and conflict.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you about Elon Musk, because that's really the story.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk has a very high position and head of DOGE this new department. At the same time he has companies that do a tremendous amount of business with the federal government, and and that spells conflict.
Speaker 2: But in this day and age, there's no conflict.
Speaker 1: President Trump by far the wealthiest president we have ever had. If it were anybody else, everything he owned in blind trust not have any idea of how the money was invested and not invested in, and what normally happens when it goes into a blind trust.
Speaker 2: The trustee does nothing. The money either doesn't grow or it even.
Speaker 1: Decreases a little bit because the trustee is there just to hold on to the assets. Well, there's no blind trust here with the president doesn't exist. The president still owns everything. His children are running it. Now do they talk to him about it?
Speaker 2: Who the hell knows?
Speaker 1: I would argue that they probably do, because he's the brains behind the money, behind the Trump. So Elon Musk is on a level conflict that we have rarely seen. Elon Musk and his companies right now in terms of the conflict of insts, some absolute that have been proven, some have been accused of two point three seven billion dollars in fines and penalties.
Speaker 2: That was the day that Donald Trump took office.
Speaker 1: Forty three page memo issued by the Minority staff of the Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigation, led by Senator Richard Blumenthal, Democrat out of Connecticut. Keep in mind this was the minority report. This was the Democratic report that came out says that this is well. The memo found that as of January twentieth, the dated President Trump took office, Musk and his companies were subject to at least sixty five actual, ongoing or potential actions by eleven different federal agencies. Forty of those created two point three seven billion dollars.
Speaker 2: In potential liabilities.
Speaker 1: Now, as far as the Trump administration and the Republicans that there is no conflict.
Speaker 2: You know why there's no conflict because Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: Says there's no conflict, and President Trump says there's no conflict, even though you have a guy who's running a governmental agency, who is sitting on twelve billion dollars of contracts from the government, And not only does he have sales from the government, not only does his sell the government SpaceX for example, all these contracts with all these contracts with NASA.
Speaker 2: But he also gets grants from the government.
Speaker 1: For some of his companies, for example his Neurolink company. Now, what the spokesperson for the president has said, one of the spokespeople, mister Musk has never used his position for personal or financial gain, and any assertion otherwise is completely false in defamatory talking about Dick Blubenthal, Dick is clearly suffering from a debilitating and uncurable case of Trump derangement syndrome.
Speaker 2: No conflict.
Speaker 1: I would love to be head of a department of government in this administration and at the same time sell my brains, my services, my product to the federal government and have the federal government say there is no conflict there because I don't get any personal gain. The fact that I own the companies that get gain. You can't argue that that's personal gain.
Speaker 4: Hey, Bill, what's the Is there an organization, a watch organization that checks these?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sure, oh sure, there are tons of them out there.
Speaker 4: I mean, because didn't Trump have to not divest, But didn't he have to have family members run the Trump Organization things like that?
Speaker 1: Nope, Nope, he doesn't have to do anything. A president does not have to divest a trumpet. A president doesn't have to deal with conflict. There's no rule, there's no law that says that a president can't be conflicted up to his eyeballs. Now, he is not allowed to be paid emollients under the constitution. He's not allowed to receive anything from the government personally. But it's not personal as far as he's concerned. Because his sons now own the business. There's no personal involvement just because my kids own it. Therefore, I don't know, you know. It's it's like Menendez who got tagged for all the gold and those thout hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash and selling, you know, doing favors the Egyptian government, the senators of Menendez, And all he had to argue was wasn't me.
Speaker 2: It was my wife. She's the one that got four hundred thousand dollars, not me.
Speaker 1: Well, that flies with the president, and certainly it looks like it flies with Elon Musk. By the way, think that Elon Musk is in fact violating the law. I don't know if there is law that talks about conflict. You must recuse yourself. You must not have a conflict. You cannot lead a governmental.
Speaker 2: Agency or even be a federal employee. Okay, Oh, here's a fun topic.
Speaker 1: Hyphenating your name once you get married, mainly women, but sometimes men.
Speaker 2: And I'm in the middle of that one right now. And or are you going to take on her name?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about it, handles hyphen I'm thinking of taking on. Yes, I'm thinking on taking on her name. And then I have a story about that because we had this discussion yesterday about a hyphenated name.
Speaker 2: Hey, is that a new skirt you're wearing. Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: And there's a federal law that just came in and this has a lot to do with hyphenating names. Well, hyphenating names has a lot to do with a new federal law unintended consequences.
Speaker 2: I love stories like that.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Some of the stories.
Speaker 1: We're looking at one hundred days now for President Trump, he's been in office, and then that symbolic, it doesn't really mean a whole lot. Symbolic one hundred days mean almost nothing in terms of legislation. But FDR started that and we talked a little bit more about that, and we'll will be in the next few days. Also, more than fifty five thousand LA County workers went on strike last night and it'll happen until tomorrow night. Wages are in dispute, some benefits. All right, there's a story I want to share with you, and this is kind of a neat story. There is a law, well, it's going to be a law, the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility Act. It's called the SAVE Act, and it passed Congress Republican controlled Congress early this month, and we don't know how it's going to do in the Senate, but looks like it's going to go and what it says, is it requires folks to prove their citizenship in person before registering to vote. Now, I happen to be a fan of that personally, because voting is limited to US citizens, and to not ask someone to prove citizenship, you know what it's I don't get it. And I understand the argument that, you know, people who are marginalized who can't prove it should not be precluded from voting. But at the same time, I just don't understand how you cannot ask someone to prove a requirement to vote. Certainly, driving you have to have a driver's license, Certainly anything else you have to have. You can't go to school, for example, without having a birth certificate. Oh, actually you can't public school. They can't even ask you anymore. But so, how do you prove your citizenship? This is for this act. How do you prove that you are a citizen? Well, you produce a burst certificate, okay, or any other quote acceptable document. What if you change your name after your wedding? What if you hyphenate your name, your birth certificate is not matching, you now have a different name, and the hoops you have to go through. I'm in the middle of that right now, and then the stats are fascinating. Republicans are much more likely to retain or take on husband's names. This is almost always a husband's names being taken a small percentage the other way. The issue is taking on a husband's name versus a hyphenated name or keeping your own name. The majority of people women simply take on a husband's name. There are some women who keep their own name, you see that quite often. And there's some that hyphenate their names. Now, women who keep their own names, that's easy. It's their own name, so they have to worry about any of this. Oh, let's talk about passports for a moment.
Speaker 2: All I have to show you passport. You know, fifty two percent of Americans don't have a passport. So what do you do with that? And when is the last time you saw your birth certificate?
Speaker 1: And if you've been married and changed your name, when you looked at it and did it match it did not? I mean, this is a mess if this bill passes. So what happens with these hyphenated names? And I told you I'm in the middle of this right now. Okay, My wife Lindsay, Okay, her last name is soprano and I told her, keep soprano.
Speaker 2: It's just easier.
Speaker 1: Nope, she's having a hyphenated name now, even within that because that's fair equals the you.
Speaker 2: Know, even Stephen.
Speaker 1: Even then that sort of gives the edge to the male name. And this is what this is all about, because when you're talking historically name, male names take over everything. Wives take on their husband's names, and you just change your name, you're a different person. So the hyphenated names, which name always goes last as a last name, it's a husband's name. Lindsey is going to be soprano. Handled, I told her stay soprano. Oh.
Speaker 4: I think if men knew just how complicated it is for women to go through all that Michigan in changing their names, this would have been done a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you do it? And there's you know I had.
Speaker 4: I had a woman tell me once that she was changing her name because she didn't want a man's name. She wanted her maid maiden name. And I said, your maiden name is a man's name.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good point. By the way, is Tracy use your name or she used her own last? She uses her name? Yeah? Yeah, what makes sense?
Speaker 4: Married our late thirties, It's like, why change all that? It didn't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: I'm getting married my late eighties and it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Or I just feel that way. You should take her name enough.
Speaker 1: You know. At one point, this quick aside, Lindsey actually was talking about converting and I said, no, no, no, no, no, you're not going to convert. I'm not going to marry a Jewish woman. I've done that once. We're not going to go through that twice. And so I having a wife that has a and it's not easy. You have to change everything with the last name, passports, so security, all of that. You keep your last name. You're done, You're finished. You just happen to be married. So I'm staying handled no matter what. All right, We're done. Coming up sixty minutes. Boy, what a story that was a couple of days ago. Scott Pelley, who is one of their premier reporters, ripped into the corporation.
Speaker 2: And this is big news and I'll share that with you when we come back.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Some of the big stories we are looking at. The president has been in office for one hundred days. White House touting tariffs immigration crackdown is the biggest accomplishment so far. Tariffs don't know about the crackdown and immigration, well, it is.
Speaker 2: It is now. Whether you agree with it or not is a different issue.
Speaker 1: And then we'll be talking about that, especially the tariff part, over the next few days, weeks, months.
Speaker 2: And then fifty five thousand LA.
Speaker 1: County workers on strike, thank you, done for at least until tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: And then the LA County talking about.
Speaker 1: That board of Supervisors will approve four billion dollars in a settlement of more than sixty eight hundred claims of sexual abuse juvenile facilities, foster care going back to the nineteen eighties. Oh okay, I don't know if you're a sixty minute fan. I'm a huge sixty minute fan. Scott Pelley, one of their top journalists reporters, at the end of sixty Minutes, criticized Paramount, the company's owner. And this is the first sort of major move since the program's executive producer, Bill Owens, announced his intention to resign last week. Pelly said, Paramount began to supervise our content in new ways.
Speaker 2: None of our.
Speaker 1: Stori has been blocked, but Bill Owens felt he had lost the independence that honest journalism requires. Now Paramount had no immediate comment, but Owens the executive producer. I think he's the third executive producer, maybe the second executive producer of sixty Minutes. He stunned the staff when he said he's going to leave the show over disagreements with Paramount. And that was while Wiley reported in the press last week. Because this is sixty minutes and this is obvious that there are big tensions between sixty minutes and its corporate owners. Sherry Redstone, who is the controlling shareholder of Paramount, needs the approval from the Trump administration for the sale of Paramount to a studio run by the son of Larry Ellison, the guy who created Oracle.
Speaker 2: While all this.
Speaker 1: Was going on, Trump hassued CBS he did last year claiming ten billion dollars in damages now twenty billion dollars in damages from a sixty minute interview that sixty Minutes did with at that point, Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris. Trump said that the story was deceptively edited, giving Kamala Harris more credence and making her arguments, more coaching, and just basically making her look better. And Trump said that that's worth twenty billion dollars. By the way, most any constitutional scholar rotated. That's the most far fetched thing you could ever imagine. And just a personal experience. Sixty minutes does edit everybody edits Have you ever been interviewed on local news and they run that fifteen second sound bite, there'll be ten minutes editing you. I had the privilege, honor luck to be interviewed on sixty Minutes back and I think it was nineteen eighty three, a segment was done on surrogate parenting and I was featured on the show, and I was on maybe two minutes of that entire segment.
Speaker 2: The interview went for over three hours that they were filming it. Of course they edited.
Speaker 1: The point though, is was it a fair edit? And Trump is saying it wasn't fair. By the way, where is damages he won? Anyway, That's not the point. The point is you've got a lawsuit going by the Trump administration. Sherry Redstone is looking at selling paramount at the same time that the Trump administration needs to okay the sale.
Speaker 2: So do you know what paramount is doing right now.
Speaker 1: They are in settlement discussions with the Trump organization over whether or not they're going to pay you go wait a minute, because you edit it and they're saying, yeah, we edit it, but we did fairly and Trump said, no, you made her look better than what she actually is. Can you imagine that.
Speaker 2: One in front of a jury. What does a jury do with that one?
Speaker 1: So this is this is big news and as far as involvement and this, this is a real problem. Neil will tell you this because he has been a host as well as he runs his own show, as well as having prior management. You know, people always ask me because the station has a reputation for being conservative, particularly when Rush Limbaugh was on there. So the corporation tells you what to say. I've been involved in talk radio now and in this company since nineteen eighty nine, and since nineteen eighty five is when I first started my career with handling the law. All the years, never once once have I been told or even suggested what to say by corporate. Now I've been told what not to say. You know all that I get constant hausholds about making fun of insert name of and ethnicity here make fun of insert religion here, any handicapped people may have. Yes, I make fun of everybody, So I get grief for that. But never as to content and what Scott Pelley is saying and what Bill Owen said, they're now involved in content that's pretty scary stuff. When it comes to Fox, when it comes to in the MSNBC, you sort of expect that. Okay, that's fine, but not when it comes to sixty minutes. Not when it comes to horror news. Not when it comes to major news outlets. Uh, there may be bias, but it's didn't Dan.
Speaker 4: Rather get popped for something he claimed about President Bush.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. It was a factual error, and he got fire for it. But it had to do.
Speaker 1: You know, it's this is not a fact This is not a factual error.
Speaker 2: This is a corporate in intervening.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on. We've got Tech Tuesday with Rich Murrow coming right up. KFI A M sixty. You've been listening to The Bill handle Show Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.