Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of Fivorous seventeenth, we're continuing with Lost Season two, episode nine, What Kate Did, in which Miss Kate Austin, riding a beautiful horse, strides offer only to the front of the bad parenting race with not one but two bad dads and a pretty terrible mother. Yeah, she's she's got she's got it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah rough one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, I mean I think that we all pretty much could have guessed that's what Kate did without having to watch an hour of it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, and I mean I get like, yeah, no, what what the bad dad did was very very very bad. But Kate, use your words like or just get the bleep yeah four away, getting the house fire first.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, this was just sort of like a like a yachtzi cup of different plot lines of this sort that we've seen a million times that they just spilled that onto the table. Okay, all right, fine, we had to do that, we had to get there, we had to finish it off. Fine, But I want to give a special honorable mention to the the agent of some sword who picked her up at the bus depot and then proceeded to exposition right up to the point where he crashed the car.
Speaker 2: That was the same Marshall who's buried.
Speaker 1: Holy cow, did he have did he have weightlifting exhibition? Or just we don't have time to show stuff, So just explain exactly everything that happened. Please, No wonder he couldn't drive? Well that was a lot, yes man, that could not have been more awkward. Oh man? But yeah, so I think this turned out to be just as much of a waste of storytelling time as we thought it was going to be. Why, I mean, just know, I guess the only sort of twist to it was that the guy she thought was her dad wasn't her dad, and that the bad guy was. But yeah, that guy was not really so much bad as he was useless, but still the like stepdad or whoever. Yes, what a trifecta of unhelpfulness those three yes parental units were. Yeah, poor Kate, Seriously, one night, I want these people to all sit around the fire and tell their terrible parents stories, right, and then maybe let's decide once and for all.
Speaker 2: Who is the winner here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just, you know, it's it's gone beyond interesting storytelling into camp at this point. Okay, roll on up, tell us your bad parents story. I mean some of them haven't been too I mean, Hugo's mom was just kind of bossy. But yes, we don't know, maybe there's more to that story. Right, if the show runs along enough, we'll he was a drug dealer. I'd be like, oh, we need to we need.
Speaker 2: Forty two minutes. Somebody get on that hurly back.
Speaker 1: Oh, for goodness sake, And she's she's hearing her dead murdered father's voice coming out of Sawyer, and they do seem like maybe they would have had a beer together at that point. Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand that at first. I mean, obviously, I don't think I was necessarily supposed to. No, you know, this is just yet another way to attempt to connect the island life with the before life. I guess.
Speaker 1: Right then we have it's like all of us and we're ripped off the island and plunged into some sort of teen drama. She kisses the one boy out in the jungle, and then she comes in and she talks about how much she likes the other boy. Oh my gosh, all these boys and the other boy after he's been kissed, he's a little confused. He goes drinks with another girl.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. She also puts some. He remembered that too.
Speaker 1: It's like the OC, you know, seriously, that part could just go completely away and I would be perfectly happy. There's enough, isn't there, like enough really interesting things going on that we don't need to have. Oh No, Kate kiss Jack and then Sawyer said he loved her, And now Jack doesn't know it's right Sawyer said that, by the way, you folks are abandoned on an island with weird stuff on it, keep it in your pants.
Speaker 2: So many things that are trying to kill you right now, pay attention to that.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, exactly exactly where's Walts for example, Yes, getting in some screen time. It appears at the end. So but speaking of.
Speaker 2: That, SAYI did say that he had seen Walt so when that happened, correct, I was wondering. And then it's kind of the same thing when happened with the horse where it was like Kate was like, am I seeing Am I the only one seeing this? And Sawyer said he did see it, didn't he?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they had in all the time they've been on the island, they haven't seen horse poop anywhere. I mean, horses are not discreet. If there's a horse around, you're gonna see some evidence.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, polar bears they poop.
Speaker 1: Too, that's true. Oh I did enjoy Charlie's rebuttal, have you seen a horse? Why I saw a polar bear? You know, why are we asking at this point? Sure, yeah, there's a horse. Of course there's a horse. See that. That would be you know another hobby that people could do. An additional golf to a golfing, they can go horseback rin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got the spa, the horseback riding, and the golf, so it's like a full service resort here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely right. The tailies are just going to start enjoying the good life now that they're there, yep, oh my goodness. And Jin and Son looking happy, just sort of like when Sun is supposed to be taking care of Sore, I'm like, why is she with him? Let her be with her husband at all.
Speaker 2: It's the whole episode started with like Son and Jin coming out of their little tents, and then Hurley's next to them. I'm like, sorry, my dog's in here. She just jingled. Since when have we had these little these little tents like this is new, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Before we were maybe they took the little love nest that say you made for Shannon.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You know, Earle's giving him a thumbs up, well dear, And then of course, you know sights, they're digging a grave way to put the damper on it, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rough, and that It was kind of amusing when Sawyer finally woke up from his you know Koma slash out of body, you know, possession that he experienced, not out of body, uh, but his his possession that he experienced. And he's like, oh cool, we're resting because I'm like I'm in a bed. She's like, let me show you. Yeah, you know, brings him outside, like, yep, we're right where we were.
Speaker 1: She just let him on for a while. Yeah, you know what. We're in Hawaii. Nice hotel, isn't it. So you know, the other big suspenseful thing in this episode is they find this extra bit of tape. Mister echo very dramatically, well maybe not dramatically, but at great length of eventually gets to know the whole story. Yes, he and Locke are such birds of a feather, and it's just it's so fun to see them together because they're like sizing each other up, like can I outdo you in this particular area. So they find this thing and it's got this warning don't use the computer for anything else, and then Michael just goes and uses the computer for anything else because he's not listening. It's like, we just already blew that one up. You know, they didn't even have a have a episode or two. Wait, no, no, don't touch it. Don't touch it before somebody touched it. And he's just like, oh oos and he says hello, and this is who is this? And he says Michael, And then it comes back Dad, Dad, Oh Dad, found out I'm on a screen. Oh no, I wouldn't like this. My name's uh Joey. Yeah right, but yeah, okay, fine, fine, if it moves this along, fine we will accept it. But yikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, for all that, for all that build up of like the whole entire Bible, Bible chapter and like I'm gonna give you something, it's very you know, you're gonna be very interested. And then they spliced it together and it was basically like a rule like don't use them, which they kind of I mean, before that, they weren't because they didn't think they could, Like they didn't think the computer would do anything, because it wouldn't. And then all of a sudden, as soon as they get the the no no no.
Speaker 1: And it does it does. Interesting.
Speaker 2: But yeah, was there's supposed were we supposed to get more out of that spliced in video than that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, seemed like really a little more to it, and it was just kind of a long way to go for not a lot, right, but maybe it'll yeah this this episode, let's move on. Okay, thanks, But what did we learn parenting wise? It's super easy to damage your kid tremendously in a way that will cause her to set people on fire. So you might want to watch yourself.
Speaker 2: And if you don't try to keep a giant secret like yeah, yeah, from your child because it's really gonna.
Speaker 1: Or if you're going to keep it, keep it. Don't go back to the low life, stay with your nice, boring, army husband.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Just that mother made so many bad decisions, yes, include I mean, I suppose you could make a case for her not protecting Kate's secret and turning her in. You could if she had done many things right and well leading up to that. But she's just just just like awful right all along, right, and just you know, she has to immediately turn her in, and then later on when Kate goes to visit her in the hospital, she does the same thing and gets Mackenzie asked and killed. But what she deserves that, dude, you know, right?
Speaker 2: I mean, at least the stepdad was like, I'll give you an hour head stop.
Speaker 1: Yes, but boy, what a what a.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dad.
Speaker 1: It was a not a source of comfort whatsoever.
Speaker 2: But then again, is that just like I'm just such a rule follower that.
Speaker 1: I guess that's what you want to hear from a guy who's like in a uniform. I think he's like a I don't know if he's just a recruiter in the army. Oh no, they said he was in war, but he's like, he doesn't have murder in his heart. I just have this nice uniform and hat, right, you know.
Speaker 2: Just yeah he was he was in Korea.
Speaker 1: So fantastically milk toasted. Yeah, she's like, I'm still going to turn you in, but I'll give you some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, g thanks boy, you know, appreciate you so much.
Speaker 1: The time ever comes that they get rescued, Kate should go, oh, you know what, I'm good here right, Probably I'll see some of those people again and I'm done.
Speaker 2: Although the one is dead because she burned him up. The mom, the mom seemed to be at the brink when we last saw her because she was in the hospital and Kate, you know, risked everything to go and see her, only for her to turn around cause trouble. So maybe only the the army guys left who knows.
Speaker 1: He probably just as well not se here. Yeah, like Kate did a great job making making you know that the guy she set fire to probably had a coming. He had a very short amount of time to be loathsome and uh, you know, we know that character. You've seen that character in a million things like this, So you didn't.
Speaker 2: Have to do a lot.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's okay. He probably deserves it. Yeah, but you know, parents, especially when there's some messiness in the child's conception and whatever all else, do you have a responsibility. Maybe don't let let her birth father beat you up and have give you a terrible life if you can help it, Yeah, you can. Really, a lot of damage was done to her that was not her fault. Somebody says, don't mistake coincidence for fate. I think it was, mister echo. Good advice. Yeah, that's your parents and everybody else. Right, Yes, I lack me some coincidence though, I mean, I'm mistaken, but I will try. This means something. This must mean something. That's absolutely mean, something is completely mean something.
Speaker 2: I'm sure of it. It's my motherly intuition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something in there about when when parents mess up so much that their kids try to take care of them, and that never ends up well. So Kate was ostensibly doing this all for her mom, who resoundingly did not want it right. So again I say, honey, take the bus before you kill the guy. Okay, take a plane to Australia. Maybe you're get lucky and get abandoned on an island before you kill anybody. It'll be great, yes, but yeah, it's just you never want to get to the point where your kids feel like they need to take care of you, because they aren't gonna do a bad job of it pretty pretty much, especially if they're on TV. But even if us, they're you know the the were you the one who didn't like the Mother's Day of Breakfast because you imagined what the was down in the kitchen? That's okay, honey, Mommy will come downstairs and he prosed with everybody else. Thank you. Oh well, and uh, you know, I guess we can say that sometimes it's okay for kids to have screen time because hey, Walt contacting contacting his people somehow possibly just could not have only it could not have been anything but a coincidence. But I don't know that kid, he makes things out the computer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although you'd think that, you know the age Walt is and the age that the computer must be that he has encountered. In order to type out this message, he must be like, look at this ancient relic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh well he was. Yeah, I guess he was able to figure it out. Yeah, so what will happen next? Will it happen too? Let's see the next episode, Season two, episode ten. Look how far we are already? Is the twenty third psalm? Like's take a guess who that's going to have to do with. I know the answer I am saying. I'm cheating the question.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know what I read?
Speaker 1: Scholar? Is it not mister Eco?
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's involved, but it's mostly about Charlie and his blessed mother.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Okay, well, we'll see more about that next week. Neither of those sounds particularly appealing, but maybe we'll see the horse again. That was a pretty horse.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a lovely horse.
Speaker 1: I want everybody get rides. You know, I think probably somebody there could make a saddle. Michael could make a saddle like he like you put together that that stretcher for Sawyer in about five minutes.
Speaker 2: He might need locke to health, maybe lock contan something.
Speaker 1: No time at all will be We'll be riding around the golf course. Mess it up, it'll be great. Come one, come on. Everybody will have saddle sores and that will be a thing. Okay, we will beat you back here tomorrow to discuss a man on the inside. Where nobody is getting killed at least yet, And there are no horses walking around, although horseback riding seems like the kind of thing that place would do.
Speaker 2: Maybe they have a d yeah, but do you do you want old people on horses falling off and breaking hips.
Speaker 1: Or you know, yeah, that's true. Hmmm.
Speaker 2: Do you know there's like though we I have in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty five, there are hay rides that just come rolling down my street sometimes with like a team of horses pulling a wagon full of people, I believe elderly people, you know, just out for a cruise around the neighborhood. So I'm always like, wait, are those hooves are those like clip clops that I hear? Yep?
Speaker 1: Indeed, did you see a wagon with hay or yeah?
Speaker 2: Or was it Yes? Was I llucinating?
Speaker 1: Who knows They're coming for you? Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.