Speaker 1: Judy was boring.
Speaker 2: Hello, then Judy discovered Chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 3: It's my little escape.
Speaker 2: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 1: Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 2: WHOA, take it easy, Judy. Jump the Chumba life is for everybody. So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump Chumpacasino dot com. No brigas necessary, boy, We're promitted by eighteen plus terms and conditioned to pl se websever details.
Speaker 4: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com. That's chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No'll britgs necessary, d over every I lost.
Speaker 5: The terms of.
Speaker 6: Host.
Speaker 1: You are now listening to True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker VTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky. Good Evening.
Speaker 7: This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them. Michael Breeseback had been a prosecutor for twenty two years and thought he'd seen it all, but nothing prepared him for the case you're about to read and hear about a true crime story where the good guys are sometimes the bad guys, and the bad guys the good. It's a case of violent crime with a mind numbing twist, but mostly it's a case about innocence and guilt. On July twenty ninth, nineteen eighty five, Penny Beernstein set out for a late afternoon jog along a remote stretch of beach on the Lake Michigan shoreline, unaware that just minutes later, a deranged sex offender would shatter her world to pieces. It would be a jog that would change her life forever in more ways than she could have imagined. Within hours, police and prosecutors zeroed in on Stephen Avery, a known offender who was out on bail for another crime. Armed only with suspicion and lacking a warrant, they dragged their suspect from his home and took them to jail. What followed was a twenty year crime saga. The gripped the entire state, made Stephen Avery a household name in Wisconsin, and left the local justice system nearly in ruins. My special guest this evening is journalist and author and prosecutor Michael Breeseback, and we're going to try to connect with him again. We're having technical problems. I just was speaking with Michael breesback for the last ten minutes or so previous to getting the show back on the road again from being disconnected.
Speaker 1: So we.
Speaker 7: I can see the numbers on the screen, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you there? Yes, I am okay, Dan, it's Mike. I hope we're on together.
Speaker 7: Okay, I hear you on the phone, So I'm hoping that our audience is hearing you live. So I'm sure that's what's going on. Okay, Okay, So I just introduced your book, So let's get down to a little bit of the introduction of this story. This story occurred in nineteen eighty five. But your book starts, you start, and I'll ask you to explain why it starts on July fourteenth, nineteen eighty five. So let's go back to that must be important why you started your book that and describe the scene that you first described in the very beginning of your book on July fourteenth, nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's a shocking start to the book. And the reason I started with it was it shows I think that there was this dangerous social path really on the loose on July fourteenth and nineteen eighty five and really all that summer. So I wanted the reader to see right out front that there is a very dangerous social path. Like I said, I'm the loose. The police had a pretty good idea of who he was, but they didn't have enough to bring him in. And so what happens after that the reader, hopefully in the back of his mind, is her his or her mind is thinking, I wonder if this guy's up to it again, because it quickly moves on today that you described that that the main part of the book opens.
Speaker 7: With Okay, now did you just call me and I we were connecting via that method?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we were. We were on before and for some reason it got disconnected. I think, but we're we should be on together now hopefully.
Speaker 7: Okay, So the number you just called is this blog talk number right?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 7: Okay, got it. I'm just just just I'm a little you know, just frustrated from the glitious here. So I apologize to the audience for that. Now let's let's start with this. This where this uh story is actually set in Manuttoauck County, Wisconsin. I know the populations around eight thousand, if I'm not incorrect. Tell us what this little community looks like and what it's really like. Describe it for us, and geographically where is this county?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 3: Well, I live here. I'm still a prosecutor here, and it's a wonderful little county, little area. It's your listeners proudly are familiar with Milwaukee, Chicago, of course. And then two hundred miles Chicago's Milwaukee well Manach walks about another ninety eight miles north of Milwaukee, thirty miles south of Green Bay, the home of the Green Bay Packers, right of which we're all proud of here in Wisconsin, of course. And it's a community. It's actually about eighty thousand, that eight thousand and eighty thousand, quite right, and we're right on Lake Michigan, and it's a real scenic area and it's just you know, part of Wisconsin. The first crime occurred in a remote action as you were reading the beach on Wake Michigan in a state forest called Point Beach State Forest, with a woman who was jagging along the beach. She was in the habit of jagging. She was a fitness physical fitness instructor at the WAYNCAA, and she had a six mile jag per day, really up and down the beach, but a very desolate part of the Lake Michigan beach where the first crime occurred.
Speaker 7: Right now, you talk about her having this should be a dedicated jogger. And so she went on an one hour run that day. And that's important to this whole thing in terms of evidence later in terms of really defining when this attack occurred, which is again later important. So tell us a little bit more about Penny, what she's like, did, where was her family at this point? You say, she goes on this desolate part of the beach. Why would she run in this place that's out of the way. Tell us a little bit about a little bit more about Penny, why she was doing this, uh, this this hour run, and then what she finally encountered while she was jogging that night.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, Penny and her husband, and they had two children, by the way, they were actually, uh, sort of some prominent people in the community. They were business people. They ran a confectionery or a candy store type of operation that that Tom Bernston's grandparents actually started. So then it talks a bit of a tourist area, and this candy shop was a tourist area, and they basically took their kids, their children to the beach that day. And as the day, late afternoon comes along, Penny decides she's going to take her her job. She was very fit, and the public beach where they were is a regular public beach, plenty of people there enjoying the day. But when she took her jag from that, she went north of there, and it very quickly becomes a desolate area. She had passed sort of a scraggly looking fellow on the way away from the beach as she continued jagging north. Didn't think too much of it, although he had a leather jacket on, and you know, it's in the mid eighties, and she kind of wondered about that, and the guy made some tim into him. But it's on her way back forty minutes later that this fella basically jumps out from behind a poplar tree or bush close to the water right at the beach. Penny, I don't want to give the whole book away, but I think that the people will, the readers and your listeners, though they need to know what the first crime's about, because this is kind of a templicated story. But Penny angles out into the water. She tries to run away from this high stepping over the waves, and not able to do it. She thought about diving into the water, but she was afraid he was going to grab her and strangle her. And now he overpowered her and manhandled her over the side the sand dunes. Basically, she's a very petite woman, but she's also a very strong woman. And by the way, Penny appreciates the fact that this book was written. She's very supportive of it. She wrote a blurb or a review on the back of the book. So she's fighting with us using her name, and she's gone on to do some really good things in the criminal justice system. But anyhow, despite her kicking and struggling and trying to push back against this assailant, he got her over the sand dunes header where no one could see her, then into the forest and just brutally attacked her.
Speaker 7: What if you don't mind, could you give us some of the details, some of the particulars, because they are important later in terms of the story.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, you know the claim itself, it was it turned into of course it was a sexual assault. You know that the law, at least in the United States doesn't really distinguish too much between a completed act of sexual intercourse frankly, or different types of sexual contact in terms of the charge. So you know, rape in Wisconsin or first degree sexual assaults is whether whether you know it's it's sexual contact without consent with force, or whether it's actually sexual intercourse without consent. And it really doesn't matter. It matters to the victim. And Penny fortunately was able just through kicking and screaming and pleating and not getting and in her mind she wasn't raped in the law, under the law's eye, she was because he pore off her clothes and when she said, my husband will come looking for me, he swore, used every name you could imagine. He pounded her brutally on her face. She received serious injuries. Tenny was left naked, bloodied, badly bruised, completely dazed, kind of staring off into the waters of Lake Michigan after this fellow left. It's just a horrible crime, as bad as it can get for any woman to experience.
Speaker 7: I'm sure certainly. Now, what are some of the things that, if anything, that he did say to the victim while he was, you know, inflicting this damage on this woman.
Speaker 3: Wow, Things like do it now, or I'm going to kill you, things like shut up you you know, and you can fill in the obscenities. Setty foul from there. Just an animal, cruel, kind of violent type of person. She I'm sure thought she wasn't going to live. He said he had a knife and that he was going to kill her. There's no indication the police didn't find a knife, but she certainly certainly felt that he had one. She kept her wits about her by telling, you know, she's going to be late getting back to her husband. She's sure he'll be out looking for her. The assailant to win, and in the end I think that's what saved her. But after a while, after he beat her basically to a bloody pope, he ran away, scampered into the woods.
Speaker 7: How good a look did she get at the perpetrator? In her mind, how good a look did she get if she did get a look at this this sailant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well she felt she had a pretty good look. You know, they were face to face, and the attack it went on over a fifteen maybe twenty minute period. It was a This wasn't a real quick, short confrontation she had with him. Remember he had to drag her from the water up to the woods, and then of course the attempted rape or the actual rape under the lost.
Speaker 8: So she thought.
Speaker 3: She had a fairly good look. She knew that his eyes, for instance, were brown. She knew he had brown eyes, and she thought he was had what we referred to here in Wisconsin as a little bit of a beer belly. That was his firm. She used to describe to the police. He was bearded anyways, the medium medium height roughly, So that's the description she had of him. So, yeah, right in that area, is what she said. I think that's right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay. And so she was how does she is she? Who finds her on the beach? And how does she get to the hospital and how does how do things work from there?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: There was a couple sailing actually in the area, and she had tried to make her way, basically crawl to the water to wash the blood off of her face. She didn't want her children to see her that way. The couple saw her, came over, wrapped the towel around her real quickly, and about the same time, her husband, Tom Birdson came running up along the beach frantically looking for her. He had already sent some some kids on a jet ski north looking for her, and he had already called it's amazing, He had already called nine one one, and there was an ambulance waiting back at the parking lot at the beach. When when he tried, actually he carried his wife down the beach until she got sick, and then she walked the rest of the way. So that's how she was found. And then she was taken quickly to the hospital in Manitowac, which is a slightly larger city here where I live and work in and uh treated at the hospital.
Speaker 7: Now, how did people police proceed with the description that they did have? How did they go about? What's the next thing that they did?
Speaker 3: Well? Uh, they they took a you know, they they always take a physical examination. They have the physicians do. Uh. We cast that most forensic examination.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: And the sheriff and stuff got was not share knew. I think it was from church. And also the bag right there for Austin Long for Na doesn't involve investigations, but he did in this one. Uh. And Penny gave a description of her assailant. And at that point the police officer, the detective was there, a female detective, and the name Stephen Avery came to her mind almost to me. Uh And from then on, Uh, it was on the training she said, I bet it's Steven. Did just what police should not do. They closed their minds and they thought he had a bear after all, and he lived sworded near there. He was no lifer there, and I guess it's reasonable that they thought it was him, but they closed their their minds after their and just out up with just Avery must be the guy, basically.
Speaker 7: Right, We're having a little bit of problem hearing everything that you're saying, so I'm not sure if if it helps just staying in one position or what we can do to but we have a problem missing a little bit of the information that you're imparting here.
Speaker 3: So I ll let me try to media just a little bit. The connection will be better because we were good.
Speaker 7: We were good there for the first a little while there, for first fifteen minutes. So okay, okay, So now you say that we'll have to go back just a little bit to you say that there was a physical exam of Penny bernst In, and then the woman that was there was Judy, Deputy Judy de Vork and right away she said it came to mind for some reason, and you can tell us why. The reason is because her relationship to Steven Avery is important, like where she lives, So tell us why she thought that, and what was her relationship and what did she know or what she did she think she knew? About Stephen Avery.
Speaker 3: Sure, and this is one of those problems with smaller counties where everyone knows everyone, or at least a lot of the people do. Judy Devark the first police officer at the head.
Speaker 8: Okay, brown two, name something that's not boring.
Speaker 6: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 8: Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for chumbuck casino to chum. That's right, Chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 2: Chum Chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 8: Plus starts the condition of the Blue whats retails With.
Speaker 9: Lucky Landslots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 1: Has anyone seen the bride?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Sorry, we're here.
Speaker 2: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 8: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registry in luck case, I pronounced you lucky.
Speaker 9: Lucky land Slots dot com Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary. Board were prohibited by Lockey Team plus Terms and conditions applying see.
Speaker 3: Website for details hospital to interview Penny Burns and lived across the street from Stephen Avery, and she knew that he was on bail for trying to assault a different woman in the neighborhood. In fact, that in itself was a pretty serious crime. He had basically run down a woman, a neighbor, a different neighbor of his. He got in his pickup truck and rammed into her car, basically had her pull over the side of the road. He held her at gunpoint and clearly had in mind that he was going to assault her. She pointed out that her baby was in the car, even that he wouldn't go below a circle.
Speaker 8: Go.
Speaker 3: So here, this person was on bail on a pretty horrible crime. And Judy de Vorak, though knew about that crime, she knew more about mister Avery because she's his neighbor was and the victim in the case that Avery was on bail for the pending case was the wife of a deputy of a reserve deputy sheriff. So the police kind of had Avery in their consciousness, and I think that's largely why he came to her mind so quickly.
Speaker 7: Now the thing is, you say police, really it is more so a specific sheriff. And if I mispronounced this, you can correct me Cook Kerrick and really because you know, and you can explain this a little bit later as an unfolds. But the sheriff that goes along with Deputy Judy de Vork is the sheriff for Kirk and he ends up being you know, this is an interesting story where he the strange turn of events happens in this and a lot of things that aren't known in nineteen eighty five come out much later. So tell us a little bit about Sheriff Cook Kheric and hopefully that's the way you pronounce his name, So it's.
Speaker 3: Called the Sheriffseric Timeusuric. Yeah, he Sheriff Couseric. As soon as he heard hears the name Steven Avery, he he had the deputies at the Sheriff's department, Uh, bring up some photos, some mugshots, and basically I wanted them to include one of step and Avery. I believe the sheriff thought at the beginning it was Stephen Avery. As we indicated earlier. The other deputy who was on the scene, Deputy Boat Duty Devorrex, she thought it was Avery. She used the name Avery, and she found it pretty certain about it for whatever reason. So Sheriff Kusurrek at that point thought, oh, it's probably Stephen Avery. So he had a photo array prepared. But before he did that, he had a police artist, his detective Cuchet, do a composite with a description from Penny Burnsam And here's the thing where they blew it. At least in my opinion and in anybody's opinion, I think they had the mudshot of Avery on this scene when the composite sketch was drawn, and amazingly, the composite sketch, the police artist's sketch looked almost exactly like Avery's mugshot. So it makes you wonder whether the police artist didn't take a look at Avery's mugshot and kind of suggest to the victim while he was doing the composite sketch, well, maybe could the person look a little bit more like this? And I have to tell you it's hard. Composite sketches are tough when the person had facial hair, you know, because people with beards you're missing a large part of the features of their faces. So you kind of looked with eye color and length of hair and that sort of thing, and the sheriff sort of you know, he knew about the Avery's too, so he was more than happy to make a case as soon as he thought that Stephen Avery was his guy.
Speaker 7: Here, Now let's go back just a bit, because I think maybe the audience is not fully aware. Maybe I'm not fully aware too. At this point, we talk about this heinous crime where he pulls this sheriff or pulls this woman out of a car, and there is, if I'm correct, not correct, that there is talk about dragging her into his vehicle, so you know, and then you say, the sheriff knows about his past, and the woman that lives across the street, this is a deputy, thinks that she knows his family, so that they instantly think that that this person that's capable of this rather heinous rape and assault on the beach has to be this guy. Is there a sexual Does this Stephen Avery have a sexual history? Maybe fill us in on all the criminal past that he has so that maybe we can understand what they think that this person is capable of. And certainly as soon as there is some suspicion, they pick him up and run with it. So what is it about his criminal past, that implies that he's able to do this crime of this nature.
Speaker 3: Well, I tell you he was a disturbed individual. There's no doubt about that. He had an incident when he was about nineteen years old where he was involved in a cat burning incident. He had also threatened to start his parents' home on fire. He had what had been convicted of burglary in the past, and you know, most important, he did have this case pending that happened six months earlier where he was, you know, he was awaiting trial. He was out in the community. But when this crime occurred, but he had been charged six months earlier with this incident of basically ramming this woman's car, neighbor's car off the side of the road, and he had kept an eye on this woman for the month's preceding. I said, was very disturbed individual, and really he was. He would watch her with binaculars down the road as she left her vehicle five thirty six in the morning in the summertime. He ran out to the road naked right in front of her car. One time he masturbated at the hood of his truck while she drove by. I mean, one's sick puppy, I guess is the best way to put it. Yeah, So I called it reasonable that it's.
Speaker 7: Personally Yeah, so that's what I wanted to make clear that the audience knows that. Yeah, that's you know, because in the in the description that talks about well, he hasn't been convicted of a violent crime, but those are all the hallmarks of a guy that's capable of what they're looking looking for a suspect. So again, it's a little more reasonable why these police coil could jump to these conclusions. However, that's not the way things are supposed to work. Now, what happens when now continue with the story then, and what do police do now that they think they have Steven Avery in their sights?
Speaker 3: What do they do? Well, they go and pick them up. The sheriff doesn't do it for an arrest warrant, which in the United States and I'm sure in Canada too, if you break into somebody's home, you need to get a neutral, detached magistrate they call him a judge to allow that and to say that there's probable cause that that person committed this crime and that the police can barge into his house and arrest them. In this case, they didn't. They used kind of a trick. I think they had Stephen Avery's uncle, who also was a sheriff deputy, and they used him to get into the house and then they arrested Avery, the only thing they had at that time. And again, you know, you can look at what they did at that point is reasonable. At this point, I think what they did is still reasonable. Other than that getting a warrant, I guess that's one hundred pound gorilla right there. But in terms of thinking Avery was it, it was reasonable because at this point the victim, remember, had done the composite sketch with the police, and she actually picked Avery out of a photo array where there were six or eight suspects and she was able to say, yep, that's the guy who did it, and that was Stephen Avery's mugshot. However, it became pretty clear a trial that once they did the composite sketch, in her mind, that composite sketch not the real one, but in her mind that sort of became her assailant. But at any rate, you know, they had an identification, so they felt they had enough and they made an arrest.
Speaker 7: Now, going back just a little bit, when you talked about the the Eugene Koch, I think you pronounced his name, the fellow that did the composite drawing, and he had just been out of the FBI Academy for about a month. Let's let's talk about that as well, because he was totally I think this was his first drawing, wasn't it for the police itself? Now, what do you, like, you know, for those people, maybe even myself? What are you insinuating happened there? Like, not to say, not to accuse, but say an assumption of what may have happened with this young guy and the sheriff and the deputy and a small place and a character like Steven Avery. What do you think happened?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't. I don't know for sure, and I try to let the reader set out in the book as they look at it. But but I can't say a few things about that competitive Eugene Cuche, the detective, the artist police artist's sketch, very proud of that sketch, a sketch removed from evidence, and was allowed to do it, and had it hanging up on as well as yours. Afterwards. The judge at the trial mentioned that that sketch, and these are the judges' words, bore an uncanny resemblance to the mugshot was in the sheriff's pocket that night at the hospital. And the last thing to sit here is that eventually and we had too far ourselves here but in the wrongful conviction lawsuit, because you know, we might as well let the cat out of the bag. Here it's called unreasonable inferences, of course, because in the end it wasn't Aver that did this, but it draw suit. The defense lawyers convinced that they pretty well had it proven. Jeane Cuchet, the police art a sketch pretty much either traced it or not quite traced, but drew it off of or had some access to that mug as he was doing this sketch, right, misketch, I can't prove that. And you know, and Jeane Cluchtes and no with us, he was actually a very nice person. I did some work with him, but he was a character. And I will say that sometimes police, if they think they have the right guy, some of the rules get bent a little bit in their minds just to do what they think is is justice. Getting a bad guy like Stephen Aby off the.
Speaker 7: Streets, yeah, and then I mean the prosecution can be prosecution can be also accused of that as well. Yeah, okay, Now, so what happens with Stephen Avery is is arrested, Where is it that he is arrested, and in terms of when they obviously have to question him as to terms as to where he was at the time of this this crime. And as we remember from the earlier in the story, this woman knows specifically when she was attacked and the duration and everything else. So we know the timeline tell us what happens with Steve Avery and police arresting him.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, he arrest him in his bedroom at night. He's sleeping with his wife on the upstairs. They had five children, and they had just come home from a shopping trip basically up in Green Bay, about thirty minutes north of where this crime occurred. Dan, it was virtually impossible for Steven Avery to have committed this crime based upon when the crime happened and where Avery was able to prove he was. There was a receipt from the shop Ghost Store, which is a department store here chain basically in Wisconsin, showing five thirteen pm and the assault. Tenny Burnson did keep very good track of her time. She was a routine runner. She ran, she knew how long things took, and she had her watch. The act ended at four to five pm, so within about an hour and thirteen minutes, Stephen Avery with his family, including the newborn twins, are at the checkout counter of the shop Ghost Store, thirty miles north of where the assault occurved. But he also would have had to have gotten from the location of the assault back to the parking lot, because that's the only place to park there in street shoes, and that's about a three quarter mile walk, and given home to where he would have had to pick up his wife and children, or actually to his parents' house excuse me, which is about twelve miles away. The police ran a kind of a check if it was possible for him to commit the crime, given the receipt at chap Go ten or fifteen miles over the speed limit, just to make it possible. And that doesn't even include a staff to pick up the kids and get him in the car, and that sort.
Speaker 7: Of thing so pretty implausible. And the other thing was, we originally heard that this scraggly man at the beach had a leather jacket on, and so tell us a little bit about that intriguing part of the description, and and the leather jacket.
Speaker 3: Sure, Tenny Bernson was clear he had a black leather jacket and a pretty good description of the black leather jacket. When it got close to trial, the police didn't find any leather jackets when they did a search warrant at Steven Avery's house, and when it got to trial, all three or four days before the trial, the prosecutor, Dennis Vogel, the DA at the time, sent a letter to the defense lawyers saying, oh, by the way, I'm going to call some witnesses. These two officers that say they know they had seen Steven Avery with this black leather jacket that matches the description perfectly of the black leather jacket that Penny said her assailant was wearing. I can interject here really quickly too, that Stephen Avery had blue eyes Penny burns. And the victim immediately told the police and told them several things that her assailant had brown eyes. She also told the police that the assailant had a sort of a beer belly, sort of pudgy, and that he was about five six. I believe well, Steven Avery's only five feet one inches tall and at the time he wasn't a pudgy and Steven Avery, as I said, had blue eyes. She also told the police, and the police were very interested in this issue. They were hoping that she would say that the assailant's hands were greasy and that they were smelly, that he was kind of he smelled head because they knew that Steven Avery's hands were always greasy because he worked at a car a salvage shop, and he professionally had greasy hands. Kenny Birds had said, now her assailant had perfectly clean hands, no grease, no dirt, no grime, and her assailants smelled, frankly smell good. He said. There was nothing, no how older, about her assailant. There are lots and lots of inconsistencies, including the alibi that Avery had twelve or fifteen. I think witnesses had said he couldn't have done it because he was with them all day at the salvag.
Speaker 7: Yard, right, and what does his wife say? What does Stephen Avery's wife say? And you know with the five kids, I mean, what we did I haven't mentioned as well. It's just six days before they have twin boys, his wife and Stevens. So that's another just another thing to put to the story as well.
Speaker 3: Add yeah, yeah, and I try to give somewhat of a description of the Avery family, you know, as also you wanted your readers to know what these people are like, but you don't want to make it real boring. You try to get out of you kind of unusual things. And I try to give somewhat of a description about that by by explaining how they named their children, the two twins that were born. Yeah, they named them William and Billy Junior. So I don't know if any of your listeners are familiar with the American movie Deliverance, but it's close to that kind of there at the old Avery salvage here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, you get that picture with the Bill and William, and they're just totally oblivious that this is the same name or that anyone would consider it the same name. So it's it's yeah, there's there's some there's some antidotes that kind of properly illustrate that.
Speaker 9: Wait, the lucky landslide. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine. But we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes ad up quick, so I suggest you sit back your trade table upright and start getting lucky.
Speaker 9: Play for free at lucky landslides dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 6: With everything you have on your plate, earning your degree online seems impossible. But at Grand Canyon University, we specialize in helping you fit a master's degree in education into your busy day. Your graduation team, led by your own GCU counselor, provides you with the personal support you need to succeed achieve your goals. With the plan and team behind you, find your purpose at Grand Canyon University, visit GCU dot edu.
Speaker 7: Sure now, so how else do how else do police proceed with this continua?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: Okay? Sure? Well, you know they don't have a lot of evident really. Other than the the identification by the victim by Penny Burnson, they ignore a few other things. They ignore the fact that Penny received a phone call from somebody who she believed was her assailant a couple of days after the crime. Not an unusual thing, as you know with sexual assaults or other sociopaths, to call their victim after a crime. And you can imagine Penny at home recovering a couple of days after leaving the hospital, receiving this call from this guy who says, you know, is Penny there and or is Tom there? And he knows her number, he knows where she lives, presumably, and this is the mo of who had turned out actually did assault Penny Burson. But anyhow, Stephen Eavery was in jail with no access to a phone, so it couldn't have been him. But the police ignore that. They tell Penny, you know, you must you have the right guy. Let us handle this. So the police did their thing. And when it gets to the prosecution, that's when the trial is when the case I think, really takes off in terms of how the system is not supposed to work.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, like tell us about the trial. We have some interesting characters at trial. At first we have the court appointed defense attorney is a woman named Reesa Evans Marcignik. Again, I'm probably mangling that name. But she's a court of appointed lawyer. Tell us what happens there. I mean, that's an unfortunate thing. She seems to be a real fighter and believes that Steven Avery is innocent, So tell us what happens there and who ends up being tell us about Judge Fred Hazelwood and his reputation as a judge before all of all this occurs.
Speaker 3: Sure, Avery's first court appoint lawyer Evans Marcius, which she ended up telling reporters and other people years later that she wouldn't even go to the beach where Avery was where the assault occurred. She would never go there because she still believed the real assailant was out there. So this is somebody who really believed in her clients innocence. Frankly, you know, most of us in the system down here as prosecutor or as a defense lawyer. Even the defense lawyers get pretty jaded after awhile and they don't really believe their clients, and they say they're not guilty. Hopefully we're not charging people they're guilty. But she was so convinced that her client was innocent that she would not go down there to investigate the case or take pictures or talk to people or anything. Penny filed eighteen motions. Excuse me that Penny Resa, the first attorney, filed eighteen motions in court. I think one was granted and it was a fairly meaningless motion. And then she became ill, there was a physical illness, and she had to leave the case. So another public defender was then appointed and had to come up to speed really quick. Judge Fred Hazelwood was the judge in the case, a trial judge, and I think it's I'm hoping that it comes out in the book what kind of judge he is, you know, and there may not be too many of those left, the very kind of down to earth, friendly, humorous judge trying to do his best. And the trial. You know, it's really a book that includes a lot of the trial and how trials work, how jury selection works, how jury gets sequestered, and was in the United States. You know, they spend the time in a hotel, and of course it's a cold time. It's in January. When this or December, I should say when the trial occurs. And I'll say one other thing, just that maybe there's some interest from your listeners here too. The time of This trial was about two weeks before Christmas in December of nineteen eighty five. And if you're a criminal defendant and a serious case like this one was, it's hard to get a worse time to have a trial than around two weeks before Christmas, because the last thing the jury wants to do is send a victim like Tenny Bernston home with a not guilty verdict. Penny got up on that stand and explained, you know, and was so good at explaining the trauma of everything that happened to her and was a very very sympathetic person. And as much as the jury would look at this and say, you know, we can't find guilt unless it's proved beyond a reasonable doubt, it would be really tough for them to send that not guilty verdict because that would just crush her. And right around Christmas, people, the people are you know, sugar problems are dancing in their head, and they're worried about their shopping, and they're not paying perhaps quite as close attention as they should be to legal issues like proof beyond a reasonable doubt and circumstantial evidence and credibility and that sort of thing.
Speaker 7: Sure, so, now, what are the charges officially that are levied against Stephen Avery. What is he potentially up for to be convicted of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's charge of a first degree sexual assault and attempted murder. Well, so those are the charges that he's facing, including the attempted murder.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, Now, how does the trial proceed? There is obviously some things that a judge can't allow in a trial unless there is something in the deer in terms of the jury selection that you found interesting. Tell us how the trial proceeds or starts off. Tell us about some interesting aspects of the trial right at the beginning.
Speaker 3: Sure, Well, first of all, the jury in a relatively small county like ours, eighty thousand people, there's a pretty good chance that some of the jurors might know some of the police officers with a name family like the Avery's, who had a lot of troubles. A few of the jurors knew of Avery's, and and you know, those things come out, So there's sort of a built in prejudice. As much as you you try to make sure that doesn't happen a child, but you know, so you had jurors answering questions about, well, do you know the Averis and how well sure I used to you know, know them from school before you know, Johnny got kicked out of school or something like that. So some of those things that come out. And then at the same time, a few of the jurors were, you know, this police officer I go to church with, and this was my boy scout, my son's boy scout leader, things like that. So it's a tough jury for the Avery, for Steven Avery to have as far as the trial itself. You know, if you don't have the goods on a trial side, what you do is you play to emotion. It's the thing that prosecutors should not do. We're supposed to be interested in, you know, truth and justice and frankly it has more to do with reason. And this is the proof, you know. But this prosecutor knew he had a weak case, and he really played on the jury's sympathy, including to the point where he had the victim, Penny and her husband Tom, basically reenact the crime in front of the jury. Not quite all the way, but he had Penny's husband show how her assailant grant her and what you know, how he pushed her onto the ground and their Penny is on the growth with her husband on top of her, only using this to try to show the jury how horrible this claim was and really rely just and sympathy. So the prosecution didn't have much. And when you don't have much, you know, you explain to what you do it?
Speaker 7: Sorry, explain why that is a problem. Why do you have a problem with the I mean, I thought it was quite unusual having someone other than someone from officially from the court being part of the reenactment and putting their the husband in there seems to be an emotional ploy. But other than that, or you speak to why specifically this is so wrong that the not only did the prosecution resort to but then again, how did the judge allow it, and how did the defense not object to it? And how was it not grounds from some form of appeal? And for us simplistic folks, how to explain why this is wrong?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's it's it's a close Oh, it's a gray area. It's not a question of you absolutely can't appeal to emotion or you absolutely can't reenact the crime with a husband. A lot of this is in the discussion of the child court. If they're going to allow that sort of thing. This judge thought, I guess that it would help the jury be able to see what occurred more helped the jury understand the crime. Perhaps, I think, you know, with the attempted murder charge, the prosecution could argue that exactly how the beating occurred would be relevant because we have to show what's called unequivocal intent to commit the murder, that he absolutely intended to kill her. So exactly how the assailant grants her and what he did with her, I suppose, you know, could be deemed relevant and not just an appeal to emotion. But as a prosecutor and as a lawyer, you know, it just didn't pass the smell test. I know, when a prosecutor is doing something just to show emotion, and having her husband there and these are wonderful people, and having her basically re victimized in court and bringing that picture to the mind of the jury. It really isn't what we're supposed to be about. The jury should be looking at evidence based on you know, mostly reason. You know, what does this really show? And most of this trial was met so much about reason is what a horrible crime this was, and we think this guy did it, so therefore, please just sign him guilty and we'll put him away.
Speaker 7: Is there any responsible responsibility I'm part of the judge for not being able for allowing this type of evidence in this questionable You say it's a gray area, which so it can be open to some interpreting. I would think, is there any responsibility for the judge in this decision to allow this information in this way.
Speaker 3: Stepped in and not allowed the re enactment. But you know, the judge doesn't know anything about the case other than that he's given in court, so he's not privy to all the information the police have. He's not privty other information that that might cast doubt on the States case. You know he did he didn't know that the real assailant called Penny while Avery was in jail. So judge is not quite in the same position.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: We can kind of Monday morning quarterback, I guess, and say, well, maybe the judge shouldn't have allowed this that or the other thing. But they're there, I don't want to say, just as a referee, but they're not the the main party. They could and I think a good judge will limit that kind of appeal to emotion if unless there's some good reason to do it. You know, there are some gory, gory pictures of Penny shown to the jerk here was that necessary? I don't know? Close call?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, okay, So now what's what's Steven Avery?
Speaker 9: Is he?
Speaker 7: Is he who is his supporters other than his lawyers obviously acting on his behalf? Is there any interest and is anybody looking at this guy as an innocent person? Does he have any supporters other than his Is his family there to support him? I would imagine they would be. But tell us about what what kind of support is Stephen Avery getting.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a large kind of extended family kind of Avery client is what it came to be known as. And and friends too. They had some different people who were at the salvage yard that particular day when this crime occurred with Steve and so they had about fifteen witnesses actually testified that Avery was working with them on a project that his haden on at this salvage yard, and a lot of women who were inside a house watching I think it was divorce court actually a show we have down here. And then I'm sure there were other people in the audience at the time too. And then of course, you know, his lawyers both believed so strongly in his innocence and bothered them for years as every's appeal failed. After he was I've taught one of these latters, and it just it severely affected him as years went on. It just bothered him immensely to know that he represented some guy who he was sure was innocent but was spending year after year after year in prison behind bars.
Speaker 7: Okay, well we've got ahead of us a little bit, so we now know that tell us, with these this cast of characters, exactly how this trial gets to the point that he is sentenced, What is he sentenced to? And tell us the wrap up of the trial? What you know, you put it in the book that Stephen Avery and his family, especially Steven Avery, were totally surprised by the outcome of this. But how does the trial fair in terms of somebody just being an observer in terms of Steven Avery's chances? And then ultimately you've you've already alluded to that he is ultimately sentenced. So tell us what happens in the trial wrap up and what is he sentenced to?
Speaker 3: Sure the jury goes out kind of in the in the in the late afternoon one day, and they can't reach a verdict that first night, and then they asked for some evidence. They want to see his shoes or his boots, and I think it was to see we're guessing, I guess, but they wanted to find out if there was any sand on those shoes, is what most people would have thought. The police had confiscated his shoes that night, and they're looking for sand that was on the beach, I suppose, and they wouldn't have seen any sand, so that wasn't didn't do much for him. And then they were out another later that next evening, the second day at deliberations. I believe it was when they walked Avery over from the jail. It was a sun was setting kind of four point thirty at night and winter time, bitter cold. Here he and his family stood to hear the jury pronounce the word guilty of both counts attempted murder and first degree sexual Judge Hazelwood two or three months later, at the sentencing hearing, sentenced mister Avery to thirty six years excuse me, thirty two years prison in prison in the Wisconsin State Prison. So he was shipped off to a Dodge Correctional Institute, and here in Wisconsin is the receiving institution for anyone who sent to prison from Milwaukee or any other part of the state.
Speaker 7: Now we are only have a few minutes left, but we're going to go a little bit extra if you can stay with us for another few minutes after that, because sure we're nowhere near into the This is incredible story and that's why it's so involved. Now he is sentenced, he's shipped off the prison. I thought was interesting part of your book too, is that Alan Avery, his father called the judge immediately after the sentencing. And maybe you can tell us this little antidote, because again it shows the character of the family and the father.
Speaker 3: Uh. Yeah, Alan Avery, Stephen Avery's father called the judge asking for his guns. Back is his weapons and uh And the judge basically said he needed more information, uh and uh and he they weren't his guns. And then Alan Avery said that he's going to start making his own probable cause determinations if he doesn't if he doesn't get the guns back. So and he said this letter and actually called I should say he called the judge at night and asked for his guns. Back, and the judge sent a letter back about probable cause and and Anne Avery's response was, well, I'm going to start making my own probable cause determinations if you don't get those guns back to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, that's interesting. Now tell us how you became involved in this case at what point and and how do you proceed with this and why. I mean what I talked first, I think to the audience maybe was the first introduction, but I'll talk about it now. I found it very, very unusual. I don't know how often this would happen, but a prosecutor trumpeting the case of a convicted person is usually done from the defense attorneys that are digging some up or from law schools where you know the innocent projects where people are looking into cold cases where people claim that they are innocent and they look at the merit of those cases. Tell us how you got involved with us and why.
Speaker 3: It's funny ask that because my wife and I are at a prosecutor's conference right now, and I'm wondering how some of my cohorts throughout the state of Wisconsin are thinking of this, because it's known that I've read in this book and this TeV Maviy case was a very high profile case, and I just have an article that I wrote in our Wisconsin By monthly magazine. But I tell you I became involved, and I wrote it because of what happened is I became involved. I wasn't here obviously when the runfel conviction occurred, but I was here in two thousand and three when we got a call from the State Crime Laboratory in Wisconsin saying that the DNA evidence on this case, evidence from a HARE that was located on the victim's body Antenny's person on her back in nineteen eighty five. It's still preserved in evidence. And the call was that the DNA came back not to Stephen Avery, but to a different sex offender, a known sex offender who was in prison, and his DNA was on the prison DNA bank, the sex offender bank, and it was a guy by the name of Gregory Allen. So here we are, eighteen years after Avery was first sentenced to prison, proof coming out in the form of DNA that it was a different guy. It was Gregory Allen and Dan we started this show. The first question you asked me was that first scene I started with that crime before the crime to Penny Burnson two weeks before in July of nineteen eighty five, and that was Gregory Allen. Gregory Allen had been committing horrible crimes worse than Avery leading up to Penny Bernson's attack deck in nineteen eighty five. And I don't know how much time we have and I don't want to be too conclusive, too much conclusion here ahead of time, but you know the police were really watching Gregory Allen, and the other police departments were convinced at the time it was Gregory Allen and that's Stephen Avery. But they didn't go after Gregory Allen. They went after Stephen Avery.
Speaker 7: You talked about Gregory Allen as well. That the one interesting part of this, you know, was that you had spoken to a woman and then you also happened to find a file that wasn't supposed to be where it was where you did find it, where a complaint that had been put into another file. So explain that turn of events, because I think that was a little bit of well as a turning point. You know, that was a turning point in terms of information for you.
Speaker 3: You bet it was. It was actually while we were still on the conference call with the Attorney General's Office and the crime lab from Madison with hants and indicating that the DNA belong to this Gregory Allen. So I went back and pulled the file, the nineteen eighty five file back on the Stephen Avery prosecution. And while we're still on the phone, I came across a complaint against Gregory Allen, the name she had just used, the name I never heard of before, and this criminal complaint was in the Avery file. And I looked and it was the same date of birth. And what it was is a criminal complaint where Gregory Allen, the real assailant here, had been charged with trying to commit the same type of offense, basically lunging at a woman who was walking her dog along the same stretch of beach on Lake Michigan. So here it gets a little complicated. But here now I know that the prosecutor who prosecuted Avery, Dennis Vogel, had also prosecuted Gregory Allen, the real assailant, for a very similar crime that occurred almost exactly a year earlier, on the same beach. And the Allen complaint was in the Avery file. And I tell you my aren't just drapped. I knew something wasn't looking right here at that point, that that this just wasn't an accident. It was just way too coincidental.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, Well that's it's it's just amazing that that turning point and how you've conveyed it in the book as well, is very very important. And it's just a little bit of chill up your spine when you realize you can you can this more than an inference. You know, you're putting this two and two together. So they've railroaded this guy when they had a real credible, dangerous person that easily they could have figured out who this was. It's very it's very strange, very strange tale. Now the thing is that we go ahead, well, I'm just going.
Speaker 3: To see it as you know, Dan, the Gregory Allen, the actual assailant who they who they did not prosecute because they railroaded avery. He was left free, he was out, not imprisonedly belonged, and he brutally raised a woman in Green Bay eight years later because he wasn't in prison where he belonged from this case, he broke into her house and attacked her while she was sleeping, So here's a case and one other thing if I could. The prosecutor at the time in the Avery case, Dennis Vogel, who is the one who wrongfully convicted Avery. He staff members of the DA's office actually came up to him during that case and said, look, we think you have the wrong guy. We think it's Gregory Allen. Because Allen was in court on other things and the DA lied. The DA said that, now I checked with Gregory Allen's probation officer, and the agent said that the approbation officer said he had an alibi that he was with He's sure that he was in Kiwani, a different city thirty miles north all day. Well, the Attorney General's report, after we took it to the Attorney General's office, ended up making it clear that Gregory Allen wasn't even on probation. So it's pretty clearly intentional at that part that the district attorney, although he and the police probably I'm sure they thought it was Avery in the first couple of days, they soon discovered that it wasn't Avery. But that whole feeling of well, he's a bad guy and we can't turn back now, so too bad, so sad, let's send him the prison. That's exactly what occurred here.
Speaker 7: Wow, incredible malicious prosecution certainly, and with devastating our repercussions. Now it takes you a few years to get Steven Avery out of prison? How many years exactly is the fight to finally you say, at this time he's in there at eighteen years, how long does it take to finally release him.
Speaker 3: Well, we moved quick once we got the physical evidence. He had been appealing twice. It went up to the State Supreme Court and it was denied by the first by the Court of Appeals, and the State Supreme Court did that one hear it, and then it came back again to the Court of Appeals. It gradually became apparent, even during those appeals that the state was maybe not sharing all evidence what's called exculpatory evidence, the evidence that has a tendency to show that the defendant is mass guilty. The appeals were based upon the state withholding or at least allegations that the state was withholding some of that evidence. But anyhow, those appeals failed, and then the Innofence Project finally got a hold of it, and the DNA was determined to be Allen. At that point, we did not feel comfortable just based on the DNA to just release mister Avery immediately, because you know, we didn't know all this at the time. And it's funny how one piece of physical evidence, the last hair, it was a pubic hair to be tested in this whole five well eighteen years later, was one thing we had linking the real assailant, Gregory Allen. But before we did that, we wanted to look at the whole file to make sure that just because that one here was there, that that doesn't necessarily mean that Avery wasn't somehow involved. So we looked through those boxes of evidence, poured through them all night actually, and it became pretty clear that no, Avery wasn't guilty. There was no other evidence other than a faulty identification of him under weird circumstances with the composite drawing, and we quickly did a stipulation with the Innocence Project and Avery was released from prison about three or four days later.
Speaker 7: It's not mean, of course, right, what was the last thing you just said? Sorry?
Speaker 3: His release was with a lot of media attention, cameras, TV cameras and newspapers all from all over the state, and even the New York Times had an article about this person who had had in prison for eighteen years. So when Avery walked out of prison, he was almost an instant celebrity in Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: And he got himself a good attorney, and he was looking at a fairly sizable income or a compensation for his time in prison, wasn't.
Speaker 3: He He was asking a thirty six million dollar lawsuit is what they had filed. I'm sure they wouldn't have got that, but it would have been well into the double digits million dollars.
Speaker 7: I'm sure now they're into This story comes in and this is a huge surprise in this story and just an amazing, amazing part of the story is a woman named Teresa Hallback and how does she want to why does she want to go to the Avery residence, the scrap yard? What's her reason for being anywhere near that property?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: So this is about two years after Avery's released from prison, and in the book, I go through a few occasions that I had contact with Avery at one point in the deposition in the runfel conviction lawsuit and a different trial I did where I think he perjured himself. But this is now it's two years after he's released from prison. And Paul Back was a freelance photographer from this area of Wisconsin, Appleton, Wisconsin actually, and she is called out to the Avery Salvage Yard, sent there by her employer after Stephen Avery called and specifically asked for her to come out and take some pictures of a vehicle that he was putting up for sale and the Car Trader magazine. So she had been out there a few times before to do the same thing. And then on this particular date happened to be Halloween actually of two thousand and three October thirty one, two thousand and three, she went out to the Avery salvage Yard in rural Manitoa County to take this picture of a car that Avery was selling.
Speaker 7: And what happened to Teresa Hallback.
Speaker 3: Well, Teresa had gone missing on that day and about three days later, her mother called the authorities and told the police that she hadn't seen her daughter in three days and that was very unusual. Teresa didn't live with their parents, she lived on her own, but she had kept in close contact with them, and immediately a manhunt started. It became clear after not too long that she had disappointment at the Avery salvage yard. The police went out there, they did a quick look. They did not see her vehicle. She rove a Suva rav four think is what it was. And they, you know, they of course look at the last place she's known to be and that was the avery seller Jayard. But at first they did not see her vehicle, so they loved you know, as time goes on, it's getting worse. The story is getting media attention throughout Wisconsin because this is a you know, anyone that goes missing, of course, it's a story. Teresa Halbach was. I don't know how to say. She's a beautiful young woman, well known, well liked, and she was missing and days went by and she still wasn't found. So her family and friends, there was a group of volunteers that were searching for her. And eventually that group, about a week after she went missing, we're on the Avery sellar Jard property. They let him come on and they are the ones that found her suv garry and concealed with is a corner of the w yard.
Speaker 7: Right, and so they do they find when do they find her body on the property.
Speaker 3: They do what they should have. They backed off right away. They called police and I was on call at the time myself. So the police arrived high and the DA and myself, I'm an assistant DA, we arrived at the scene. I had actually kind of a long story, but I had run for DA and was the DA and my friend ended up doing the job anyhow, But long story, but the two of us arrived there and lots of police, lots of media, helicopter full in the air. It's a scene I'll never forget. Police dogs as as it turned into night, kind of a nice fall day turned into a driving cold rain as we were searching for what everybody thought was likely to be Teresa's body. You know, we didn't We didn't have that. We had our vehicle. But that night the police dogs hit on a burning barrel basically, and in that burning barrel, Teresa's remains were were discovered, along with parts of her cell phone.
Speaker 7: Now we will leave the story here for right now, and I'll just add for the audience, is is that uh, The fact is that when he got out of jail, he got the he was looking at the huge settlement. You said he was an instant celebrity. There was a lot of sympathy for, of course what he endured, being wrongfully convicted and railroaded and being in prison. And it was really accepted that there had been a police conspiracy obviously the sheriff and the deputy and everyone else, So that was an accepted thing. And now with the Teresa hallback and her body being found on the property, we're hearing the same story. So again I won't give the rest of the book away because there's still a lot more to happen. It's such an ironic twist, I think, and I think if people can keep that in mind, they'll when they finish this book, they'll realize, my god, yeah, that's that's an ironic twist if there ever was one. So I want to thank you Michael for coming on and weaving the story of this book Unreasonable Inferences. It's a great book, and I want to thank you very much for coming on and explaining it so very well for us.
Speaker 3: So all right, I really appreciate you having me Dan, It's a pleasure. Of course, people can can get the book if they want at Amazon sure it's or at our website. They could look at www. Unreasonable Inferences dot com are one word unreasonable inferences. I don't want to toot my own home horn, but people do say they you know, it's one of those things you just don't put down. And it's the story I think more than anything. It really is an unusual stranger than you know truth. You can't make this stuff up kind of a story.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, and and you know it's just a story that is, like you say, a page turner. I was. I got to thank Kim Katrell at two True Crime Book Reviews for turning me on. I probably wouldn't have known, or I would have known a lot later, let's put it that way. So I would really want to thank her for introducing us and and and as a result of you're one of a great guest and talking about a great book, and it's very well deserved. If this book's a little bit different than a lot of books because of the perspective that you you have being a prosecutor, and then again later like the person that gets them out of prison, then later is going to an investigate a crime that again this guy's accused of again. So it's an amazing twist. It's one of the most incredible stories with just when you think the thing has ended now it's more to come. So thanks very much, Michael, and have yourself a great evening. Great you too, day, Thank you very much. You've been listening to the program True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history, and the authors that have written about them. Thank you, good night,