Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I want to tell you tonight about my new novel, The Most Dangerous Man, coming out June ninth. I think, like a lot of you, I read in high school the short story The Greatest Game, which is almost a century old at this point, but it's the classic premise of man hunting man for sport. This book is based off of that a little bit, but also on stories that I have heard over the years about Safari guides that have actually taken hunting parties, wealthy people hunting poachers in West Africa. That idea kind of cooked off in my mind when I was asked to write a novel and get back into writing fiction again. And this book is about a ranger with the Ranger Reconnaissance Company who's on a mission in West Africa and gets kidnapped and hunted for sport by a group of wealthy tech billionaires. I had a lot of fun writ in this book, and I think you'll have a good time reading it. It's quick, fast and furious, fast paced action action novel, and I hope you all check it out. It's up there. You can find it wherever books are sold, the hard copy, the hardback, the soft cover, and also the kindle ebook edition. We'll have some links down in the description for you. The book comes out June ninth, and I hope you all let me know what you think of it. Hey, folks, welcome to the Team house. I'm Jack Murphy here with tonight's guest Stephanie Rottolo. She is currently an Officer Civil Affairs Officer in the Reserves. Previously served in civil affairs across West Africa and also worked with the Cultural Support Team, the female teams that augmented special operations abroad, in her case in Afghanistan, working with rangers and victual forces. So, Stephanie, welcome to the show. We're really happy to have you here today.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 3: It was really good to catch up with you at soft.
Speaker 2: Week as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean that's what soft Week is good for. It's all these people do you only get to see like once a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. It's a nice mini readion.
Speaker 1: But this year, man, that event, it has gotten so big, even just from a couple of years ago, it feels like it's tripled in size.
Speaker 3: I think they said it was like one third more people this year than last year. It was it was visible like you could feel it. There was like no room to move, but it was still a very good time and.
Speaker 1: They had more security than like at the White House. It was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is crazy too because two of the guys that were working for Tampa PEED, one was a guy I was a lieutenant with and one was a guy I was in CAA with working for Tampa PEED. So like, the military is such a small world, but it makes it even smaller.
Speaker 1: That Tampa community down there is very small too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So let's uh, let's get into you and your background, Stephanie. Let's start off a little bit with your origin story if you can tell us, you know, where you grew up, how you grew up, and sort of like what was that path that took you towards the military.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So I grew up in Brookville, Maryland. It's like forty minutes outside of DC Montgomery County. Had a great childhood. My parents were both public servants, so my mom is actually still running ears to this day. And then my dad was in federal law enforce. In my whole life. One of four, so kind of a big family, had a great time, spent a lot of time outdoors, spent a lot of time reading. And then despite my my interest in reading, I was a really really bad high school student. I just had like it was just like the black Sheep wild card kid. Despite my parents' best efforts. They tried really hard, so that was nothing they did wrong. It was just I just had had the bug in me. So I was getting in a lot of trouble, doing really poorly in school. Somehow, by the grace of whatever deity, managed to graduate high school, went to community college, and was continuing to just like be crazy. But at least I figured out how to get good grades because now I was paying for it, so just being like absolutely wild. My dad was doing a couple trips overseas. They were still still looking for some of like the key nine to eleven bad guys, and so my dad was out and about and.
Speaker 2: Again my mom was running an.
Speaker 3: Er, really busy, had three other kids that she needed to take care of, and so she was just like done with my can I curse on here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, cool?
Speaker 2: She was just done with my shit, quite frankly.
Speaker 3: And I kept going out getting in trouble, like I'm just doing bad stuff, you know, rushing up against like legal trouble like things that probably would have impacted my trajectory for a while. And I came home one night after she had explicitly told me you cannot go out, and my dad was on one of his hunting trips as we called them, and I was like, whatever, I'm you know, I think it was eighteen, Yeah, I was eighteen. I'm eighteen nineteen. I'm like whatever, I'm an adult. I'll do what I want, even though I still live in my parents' house. So I went out and God left my mom. She was also a legal nurse consultant, so she would go to depositions and testify and so she had a lot of stuff going on. And I came home stumbled in and I'm drunk a little bit high, and she's sitting there working at the kitchen table. And my mom is from the South Bronx and she has this really thick accent and she says, where were you? And I'm like I was out and she just stares at me, and I'm like, okay, cool, I'm going to get away with this one. So I start walking up the stairs and it was like it's like three staircases and their wood and I'm starting to make it to my childhood bedroom, which again I'm like an adult living at my parents' house acting like this, and I hear the creeks coming up the stairs and I'm like, oh, this isn't good. So I'm in my room and she comes in again and again like where were you? What are you doing? Like who do you think you are? And I'm like whatever, Like you can't tell me what to do. I have a job, I'm an adult and no shit. She picks this giant wooden mirror off of my wall, my childhood mirror. It still exists to this day somehow, and smashes this thing over my head, probably as hard as she could, and I'm like down, I'm down, I'm out.
Speaker 2: She has one in one strike. It's like lights out for me.
Speaker 3: I wake up in my baby brother who would later become a marine. I don't know if this trauma did something ime what happened, but he's like grabbed her and like getting her out of the room, and I'm like coming to and trying to figure out what's going on. That was kind of when like the light bulb went off of like, man, I'm really making this difficult for my parents who are working so hard to give me everything and you know, make sure I do the right thing, and they tried really hard to send me up for success, and I'm kind of being like a giant loser. And I'm dating this guy that's like junior enlisted in the army, and like he has a car and a house and he's going to college and him and his friends are like doing whatever they want halfway across the country, away from their parents and being adults, and I'm like, okay, so maybe I should do that. So right after that, I went to the Army recruiter and I was like, what can you do for me? And uh, that's that's when I enlisted. I finished my associates and shipped out, and yeah, the rest is history.
Speaker 1: What did your what did your parents think about that decision?
Speaker 3: You know, I think they were well, I know they were like horrified and scared, and my mom didn't want to talk to me for a while, But I think that's probably natural, as like a parent is just to be scared. I think it turned to pride pretty quickly. And my dad always laughs that like the easiest time now looking back in my military career for.
Speaker 2: Him was when I was at basic but he like didn't think that.
Speaker 3: At the time.
Speaker 1: What about what year was this, twenty twelve? Okay, So yeah, I mean it's understandable that they're scared seeing the headlines for the last you know, previous ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Uh And you came in the army as a mortician.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so mortuary affairs ninety two. Mic, it's under quartermaster. And I was going, you know, when you go through like the list of available jobs with the recruiter and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, that's a good one. This is a good one.
Speaker 3: The recruiter is like, I'm like, wait, what is that mortuary or something, and like he's like, yeah, you don't want that. That's weird. And like I was a weird kid, like super like macabre and just like dark and like reading and yeah, yeah, just you know, and like going to warp Tour and think, you know, I was like so cool and piercing my ears in the bathroom. So I'm like, oh, that's like edgy. And so I'm like, all right, well this guy thinks it's weird, Like my interests are peaud and so yeah, I enlisted as a ninety two mortuary affairs. My first unit was at Dover in Delaware and super eye opening. Uh really learned a lot. I think set the stage for my career to come, like starting a career out with seeing the horrible final result of the failures of policy decisions and strategy decisions and the whole gamut. Like I did not realize the weight of that at nineteenth. I knew at nineteen years old, like I knew this was a very serious, like sacred role and it needed to be taken seriously and I needed to be a profess and really make sure I knew what I was doing and I knew how to do it correctly because of the seriousness. But yeah, I think it only really came to me later, like how much that probably set the stage for how I view military service. And also are our leaders that deal in the blood of America's sons and daughters?
Speaker 1: Do you want to tell people a little bit about what mortuary affairs does? Because it is an important job. I mean, you guys receive the dead essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're spot on.
Speaker 3: It's the processing and care of our fallen. So when I enlisted, there was only nine hundred across the active and reserve for.
Speaker 2: I think all of the branches, so like Army, Air Force, everybody.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty small. I don't know what the numbers look like now, but yeah, exactly as you said, I mean, it's from recovery to interment, so there's a lot involved in that. I mean, every death is pretty much treated like a homicide in terms of how the military process goes. So you do the full autopsy. There is like the chief medical examiner at Dover is in charge of everything, so you're not just like going in and doing your own thing as a private and like the folks at Dover. If you haven't had a chance to go to Dover at least like just kind of check it out and speak to some of the people there. I mean that is you want to talk about professionalism in the Department of War, like that is the cream of the crop. Those people really take it seriously, wake up every day like doing the worst thing and being there for people on their absolute worst day, and they do it well and they do it professionally. So yeah, I mean it's basically just the whole process. So it just depended on what part you were going to be assigned to.
Speaker 2: For our like clinical rotation things, I guess is what you would call them so you could get hands on.
Speaker 3: Because again, it can be very jarring to handle remains, like if you haven't done that or haven't been exposed to that. So it's kind of a they do like an exposure cycle. But we went and supported the Richmond Morgues in Virginia because it was like going through their Murder Capital of.
Speaker 2: The World phase for a minute there, so they were super overwhelmed. So we went there.
Speaker 3: Got some of that hands on training and then also like that diversity in cases because unfortunately, like what's coming through Dover or what was coming through Dover was was pretty much the same over and over again. It was you know IDs, that type of thing, or like severe head injuries as a result of an ID, or honestly, motorcycle crashes like that convinced me that like nobody should ride motorcycles because the amount of young men coming through on those tables that were perfectly healthy and had entire crews ahead of them and were only in that facility because of a motorcycle crash and largely not because of something they had done, but something that a driver near them had done, was like, okay, cool, I'm like a risky edgy kid, But like motorcycles.
Speaker 2: Ain't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean those are going to be fighting words with some people.
Speaker 3: I said what I said at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I get what you're saying though, And I mean I think motorcycles are like the bane of the Army's existence in some ways, because I mean this it's constantly an issue about the reflectives and the safety gear they want you to wear and being registered and trained for that reason because a lot of service members do wipe out and either hurt themselves or get themselves killed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was eye opening in that regard. But yeah, I mean overall, the experience, like I said, very formative for me. I'm very thankful. Again, it's kind of dark, but I'm very thankful that that was my entry into the army because I think it it gave me the perspective to take all of my decisions later on very seriously that like this isn't hall of duty, Like these are real lives and I have handled the consequences of it. So yeah, I was really glad that I made that choice.
Speaker 1: And about what time was it that you thought about becoming an officer?
Speaker 3: Pretty much when I was in like going to basic training, so my dad again, while he was terrified and eventually proud, he was like, if you're going to do this.
Speaker 2: You have to promise me at some point you'll become an officer.
Speaker 3: So I got into like an ROTC program, came back, weren't into the reserve status, and then was able to go to school and just finished two years because I already had an associates and George Mason. I applied to like so many colleges. Again, terrible high school student. But I only figured it out when I went to community college, and I did really well, probably because I was paying for it and nobody was like there to hold my hand. And so I was just applying to schools that I knew had good programs and that had money for RTC programs and more importantly, had slots that wouldn't delay commissioning. And George Mason is is a pretty big RTC battalion. I had to imagine it still is they had a spot, it would delay me by like a like a half a semester or so, but I was still going to commission, so I really didn't care. So yeah, I think like when I was going to basic training, once the reality of like going to basic training, started hitting, and I wasn't like the cool edgy villa of the ball anymore. And I had to wear my giant Coke bottled glasses.
Speaker 2: And you know, slick my hair back.
Speaker 3: I think I realized pretty quickly, like maybe I should listen to my father more. So. Yeah, that's when I made that decision. So I wasn't enlisted for for very long, but it was it was enough to at least kind of get some experience, kind of see what it's like, at least on the entry level.
Speaker 1: And you commissioned as an MP.
Speaker 3: I did I commissioned as an MP?
Speaker 1: Was that your choice or was it the branch given to you?
Speaker 3: It was, which I.
Speaker 2: Know is like I don't know. I kind of laugh about it.
Speaker 3: Now because everybody was like, go am I, go am I, and my dad was like, go am I.
Speaker 2: And I did not listen to my dad in that scenario. I went MP.
Speaker 3: But I will tell you I loved being an MP. I think the thing that kind of swayed me was I really appreciated the like wartime peacetime crisis mission of like pretty much, no matter what, if we're dealing with you stateside, it's like you're having a really bad day. So I think, again, that's that like trend of like if this is somebody's worst day, or this is a dark day for mankind, maybe I want to have my hands on it. And I thought being an MP was a way to kind of like be helpful in crisis, be you know, some kind of like support or guiding system when there's chaos going on. And I loved it. I had a great time. Got to do my platoon leater rotation. We went to Germany. We did a rotation through Germany, and got to work with the Polits Eye, which is like I'm sure you've been there, but the policing like wild, had so much fun with them, learned a lot, got to see some some crazy stuff because as we know, soldiers make really poor choices when they get overseas, and so got to work with like a lot of different agencies.
Speaker 1: You were doing, you were doing sort of like shore patrol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I guess, so, yeah, it was yeah. And then also it was joint patrolling with the Pullet's Eye. So they had had a lot of the refugees from the Middle East had come in at that time, and they were having some pockets of areas where things were not going great, there was like a lot ofmmunity pushed back, and then of course US service members wanted to get in the mix of all of that, or it just so happened that the neighborhood was next to like the hottest club.
Speaker 2: So kind of getting to see how.
Speaker 3: A European entity, especially the Germans like handled that was pretty eye opening and then a great opportunity to work.
Speaker 2: With the Air Force.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, I'm Jack Murphy here at the team house, and today I want to tell you about the sponsor for tonight's show. Mars Men. This is a natural testosterone support supplement. I take it. I've been taking it for about the last five weeks now, and I'm starting to notice a difference. You take five of these pills each day, and each one of these cans last two a month. I think you need to use them for a couple months to get the full effect of them. But I'm about five weeks in and I'm starting to notice a difference. Already, increased energy, better performance in the gym, all of those things. I've you know, quite frankly in the past, had a problem with testosterone as a lot of military veterans do, as a lot of men who are going into their forties do, and this is actually something that seems to be helping me get my levels back up even higher. So I'd highly recommend checking them out. It has eight different substances in it that help boost your testosterone count. If you guys will go and check them out, we'd really appreciate it, so would the sponsor. For a limited time, our listeners get fifty percent off for life, plus free shipping and three free gifts at men go to Mars dot com. That's men go to Mars dot com for fifty percent off and three free gifts. When you check out. After you purchase, they will ask you where you heard about them. Please show support for the show and tell them that the teamhouse sent you. Thank you everyone.
Speaker 4: A lot of people put off buying a new mattress because it feels like a have too many options, too many claims, and no real way to tell what's actually going to hold up. Goostped makes that decision easier. Ghostbed is a family run company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience, backed by deep manufacturing expertise. Their approach is straightforward, focus on quality materials, small construction, and a consistency over time, not flashy features or complicated sales tactics. Every Ghostbed mattress is built for long term comfort, using durable foam and proven cooling technology to help regulate temperature while you sleep. It's designed to feel reliable night after night, not just when it's brand new. And if you're not sure which mattress is right for you, Ghostbed's online mattress quiz helps narrow it down quickly. Whether you're a side sleeper who needs a little plushness or someone who prefers a firmer feel, the quiz matches you with the right option based on how you actually sleep. They also keep pricing grounded goostbed mattresses costs up to fifty percent less in comparable brands. You could rest easy knowing you're not you're getting one of the best values at this quot level. Every match just comes with a one and one night sleep trial and industry leading warranty and fast free shipping, and as a Teamhouse listener, you can get an extra ten percent off your order. Just go to ghostped dot com slash house and use the promo code House at checkout that's go sped dot com slash house code House for an additional ten percent off site wide upgrade your sleep with Ghostbed, makers of the coolest beds in the world. Some exclusions apply see site for details. Thank you GOSPED for sponsoring the show. Thank you guys for helping support the show.
Speaker 1: Bye. What were some of the crazy things that happened while you were over there doing that job in Germany?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I did get subpoena for Ondnesday. These guys riggers.
Speaker 2: We all know.
Speaker 3: One of the craziest mls is in all of the Army, which is insane, because that makes no sense. If you're in charge of like making my parachute, I want you to like not use drugs. Poor choices. But they like beat this guy within an inch of his life, a cab driver in Germany. And then they tried to run and they ran into the barracks hammerre drunk.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody was just three sheets the wind.
Speaker 3: But they were so drunk that they couldn't figure out like they should take their club clothes off and stuff. And I had just gotten off I worked a midnight shift for one of my soldiers. Like I was like, hey, I'll work it. You go like recover, you know, because that's what like leaders eat less and stuff like that. So I was like, I'm gonna be cool and like take the shift. And so I did the shift, and I'm like exhausted, and I come back and you know, I'd already turned in like my service weapon, and I just have my little like duty phone, and I was staying in the barracks, which is like MP's are not supposed to be co located in the barracks. But their solution, so they put like my soldiers on one side, and then they had the riggers on the other side. And then their solution for the MP officer to not live with her soldiers was to put me in the rigor side of the barracks. So I like, I'm like getting ready for bed, and you know, have my big sweatshirt on and my glasses again still super thick. I have my retainer in uh, and I start hearing like a commotion down the hallways.
Speaker 2: Like you know how barracks hallways are.
Speaker 1: It's rocket yes, yeah, so you.
Speaker 2: Can hear everything. And so I'm like, oh, that doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: And I hear like the I hear like radio chatter and I'm like oof, like really not good. And I hear somebody yelling like stop stop, like stop military police, and I'm like, oh gosh, and like instead of taking like five seconds and I don't know, like putting pants on, taking my retainer out like any of these other things, I just like grab my little baton and my duty phone and I like ran out of my out of my barracks room.
Speaker 2: Like an idiot.
Speaker 3: Again, I had the sweatshirt was like down to my knees, so I'm like kin made as well have been wearing like a dress.
Speaker 2: But it was like very clear that this was like bedtime attire.
Speaker 3: And so I like out and I see one guy like whip past me and the other guy is the other MP is like crashing this guy into the wall, and I'm like, where's your partner, where's your partner? And he's like he's coming, he's coming. And so I'm like I start yelling like hey, we're down here, We're down here, because again I have nothing to assist in this scenario, like I'm I'm dead weight at this point. I'm just in the way. The next guy comes up and they start tackling with him, and I hear like you know that metallic click on, like the part of.
Speaker 2: On like a holster, like the old ones.
Speaker 3: I start hearing that, and this guy is so drunk he's like reaching for the MP's weapon, like genuinely trying to like and I hear OCOC. Nobody wants to hear in a tiny hallway in the middle of the night, and so they just start blasting this guy and so he's like he's in this hallway, shoved up against the door. They're just blasting OC, not their weapons OC. And there had been like a group of guys that had come through the hallway, and so I like grab them and I'm like moving on down the hallway and I'm like the military police with my retainer lisp, going like get against the wall. And they're like, who the who is this? Oh so very embarrassing for me, but I thought I was taking charge. And then the guy the door in front of where they're spraying this guy, he opens the door. That guy now inadvertently gets sprayed. And if you've ever been OC sprayed, which I have plenty of times, I would rather be tased over and over again for twenty four hours straight, like it is crippling to me, and so he starts screaming. Everybody starts screaming, and then I'm like, guys, like, I'm gonna go put pants on.
Speaker 2: What can I do to help? And they're like to have any water?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, sure do So I go in my room, put my pants on, start pouring water on this guy. They start escorting down the hallway, and that's when we realize right in front of the stairwell there's like now a gaggle of all of this guy's drunk buddies who are like, oh, there's two MP's, some chick in a sweatshirt with sandals on, and there's like six of us. So they're like, we're going to fight you. Like they start screaming, They're gonna like fight the pigs and all this stuff, and so just like gets out of hand. At that point, I had started calling like the duty sergeant and being like this is where we are, this is the barracks, like we need people to get up here, Like I don't have anything to assist with. I have no handcuffs, I have nothing. So that guy comes up the stairwell and thankfully he's a big guy, and so they like are all scatter, like you know, bugs. So we get outside and I'm trying to get into contact with the unit's first sergeant and commander, and turns out like the commander left the country but didn't leave like assumption to command orders. So there's just like terrified lieutenant that doesn't know what he's supposed to do, and his first sergeant is telling him that he needs to get up in the middle of the night and drive out there. And so we end up waiting for a while and finally, like the first stargeant shows up and is like, okay, everybody out of the barracks. So they just clear the barracks, like if you were in this section of barracks, you were coming outside in the middle of the night and you were lining up, and so we all line up, or they all line up rather, and we were like walking along.
Speaker 2: And they're like, well, ma'am, since you weren't on duty, we.
Speaker 3: Need you to help like validate who was there, who was part of the like fighting the cops gang, and like who you saw in the hallway.
Speaker 2: So I'm like okay.
Speaker 3: So I'm like walking around the thing and I'm like not you not this guy. This guy definitely not this guy and I point to one and I'm like this guy for sure, and he's like, man, fuck you bitch, and my soldiers is just like and so then it just turned to like a scuffle all over again, and it was just like it was just like a crazy night. I was like, this cannot be real. At least I put my pants on at some point during this. So all that happens fast forward. A couple of the guys that got arrested during that ended up getting arrested like a couple of weeks later. Like I don't know why they were out or what happened. I wasn't part of of that level of the investigation. But they're like in this barracks and somebody like pulls out a pistol and like pistol whip somebody's girlfriend. Which you're in Germany on a military Like where did you get like a free range pistol to like just hit people with? So I was honestly impressed, Like it was terrible, but I'm like this guy like knows people, we should probably talk to him. And so they end up going to like real prison and there was this little holding area.
Speaker 2: I want to say it was called Simbach. I don't know if you remember.
Speaker 3: It was like this weird bass that like felt and looked like it was abandoned outside of Kaiserschwaten. And I'm doing like prison checks one night and guess who's in there, those those two knuckleheads. So I think that was probably the craziest in terms of like US mill you know, I'm watching like the pollets, I get after it when people are not behaving is like fat.
Speaker 1: People do they do?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Like people love to scream police brutality in the US and like I won't get into that, but I'll tell you what the polets I can be doing whatever they want to do. And people do not pull out their phones. People do not intervene, people.
Speaker 2: Mine their business. And it was very interesting.
Speaker 1: Ah those Germans, oh man.
Speaker 2: And if they want blood, they're taking blood.
Speaker 3: That was like the craziest thing to be like none of this refusing, Like we're just gonna pin.
Speaker 2: You down and get it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, uh, you know, things like that happen sometimes when MP's decide to go onto the Ranger Battalion compound and they end up getting bowled up by a bunch of privates and I may or may not have a photograph of a bunch of Ranger Battalion kids wearing Hawaiian T shirts sitting and laying on top of an MP car in the Ranger of Battalion compound.
Speaker 3: You know what everybody's got to like, Bully the MP's a little bit again. I had so much fun. I was so lucky to have like the best platoon sergeant in the world. I think that's like, I know, it's not really underrated. That's what they always tell you as like a new officer, But seriously, to have like a quality sergeant, just like an icon that's willing to train you and work with you and like keep you on the straight and narrow man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a great guy. We still talk today like ten out of ten. Very lucky for him.
Speaker 1: So you're having this big adventure in Germany. Uh when did it come or when did the you first hear about the cultural support teams?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I got like a oh I had subscribed to Do you remember S one Net?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I think it went away.
Speaker 3: There was this thing called S one net and it was like all of the mill purs that came out. You could enroll and they would just send the mill Purrs to your email and like they were very yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was in Germany and I was running like.
Speaker 3: Half marathon to a marathon like every weekend with this first sergeant who was an ultra marathon or so we were like really getting after it.
Speaker 2: I was getting in great shape.
Speaker 3: It was a really big runner and I got this like mill per that was like, hey, this thing's coming up, and I was like, man, I want to get in on that, but I got to get back from Germany.
Speaker 2: I got to figure out when I can go to the selection and do all that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I literally just found out about it from having base level milpers forwarded to me, like very very lucky. The timing was right because I had heard about it previously, like remember when Ashley's Wore the book came out.
Speaker 2: There was also some of the cadre in my.
Speaker 3: RTC program had kind of talked about it like when I was, you know, going through that, and they were like, you know, this might be something you would be interested in later in life. And it had just kind of it ebbed and flowed about when they were doing selections and if they were making new teams. And so when I saw that Milper. I was like, this is not a thing that I can wait on, Like if I'm doing it, it's happening now. And so I just started training really hard and thankfully my battalion command at that time was like super supportive and he was like, all steam ahead, we will not get in your way, Like as long as you finish your platoon leater time, Like good to go for us.
Speaker 1: So what was did you have to go to Fort Bragg and go to the selection course and all that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so I got that had to go. We did CA selection, went through that, and then once you did the CA selection, if you got selected for C A selection, then you would continue into this little board with Ranger Regiment and then there would be another selection on top of that that then you would go through the next couple months of training. So it was like really great when I got C I had no idea what CA was like. They asked you, you know, like why do you want to be C A? And I'm like, I don't know what you guys are. It sounds cool. I'm having a lot of fun at the selection, Like your workouts are great. Everybody sounds really interesting. I don't know what you are I'm just here to try and be a CST. But thankfully did make it through that and got asked to continue to keep trying for CST selection.
Speaker 1: What was it like going to CSD selection?
Speaker 3: It was so hard, Like I said, it was a really big runner. So, like lifting weights wasn't really a thing to me. I mean, I had played ice hockey in high school and then I did one season of women's semi pro football in DC and I kind of like learned a little bit about lifting weights, but I was like running all the way and then showing up to CST selection and like all of these women are absolute muscle savages and they can run and they're smart, and so CST selection was awesome. It was very intimidating. It was very stressful by design. But even if I hadn't made CST selection, like just the quality of training even within the selection itself, Like to go with you know, rangers to the range every day and shoot for hours on end and have to train with them and learn how.
Speaker 2: They do what they do, Like you're not going to get that anywhere else in the army.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, particularly at that time being a woman in the army, those kinds of opportunities weren't really there.
Speaker 2: It was so good.
Speaker 3: And like the medical training again, ranger medics like best in class, right, so to be able to train and learn all that stuff, and then like the tactical questioning and.
Speaker 2: Like the combative slash.
Speaker 3: You found yourself in a bad situation, now fight your way out of it. Like great training, regardless of if I made it or not. And again the women, like women that are going through that selection, like that's top tier, Like those are quality, cool, smart capable people. So just the friends that you make through the process too, was very thankful for that.
Speaker 1: What was sort of your impression of what the CST program was as you're going through the training, I didn't really know.
Speaker 3: Like it was very funny to me because in one of the like boards, they ask you like what.
Speaker 2: Do you think that we do?
Speaker 3: And I was like, what do you mean we and they and they were like us and it's all these rangers and I'm like, get terrorists probably, and they're like, we shoot people in the face, motherfucker. And I was like okay. They're like can you shoot people in the face? And I'm like yes, So, like I didn't really know, so I thought you know, like I had again like Ashley's War and stuff like that, and just trying to piece together bits of like news articles that came out around that. I understood it as like getting information off women and children in the battlefield because it was fifty percent of the population that couldn't be accessed, and ultimately that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. It sounds like from what you're saying that the Ranger Regiment was like very intimately involved in this whole program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think way more than I expected. Like we did all of our selection was at Fort Benning in like the little Rafts compound area. We had to take the rPAT and.
Speaker 2: Do all of those things.
Speaker 3: That was super fun. That's I learned how to lift weights there because I did not have a choice. Yeah, so we did, you know, all their ranges all like the battle drills, like you know that CQB training like all of that. So yeah, I mean Rangers were I didn't. I guess I should have known that there was other units we would go to once we got where we were going, But all of our training and everything was managed by Ranger Regiment, and I think that was great because again, like who's more professional at like mastering the basics and showing you.
Speaker 2: How to do it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's really interesting because I think some of the csts we've had on this show before probably came into the program a little earlier than you, and they went through everything at Bragg as I recall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we bounced between Benning and Brag. Yeah, now that I'm thinking it was between Benning and Brag, but it was Regiment guys and then Jstack guys. But the bulk of like what I would call the actual selection and not the train up was Regiment and then Yeah, we did a lot of a lot of the ranges with the j Stack guys, but again they were guys that come from that, so a lot of overlap there. Yeah, So I mean it was half and half between Betting and Bragg. Brag was definitely a more fun time.
Speaker 1: A little bit more laid back than the range of Regiment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also you were just kind of like further along in the process, and it was easier at that point, like just being like sore and tired all the time to just be like, okay, cool, I messed that up next event. You, Like, there were so many you can only psych yourself out so many times during the selection that at like some point you're just like, I'm just giving it up to whoever is in charge at this point, and if I die, I die. So uh yeah, it was just I think it was a lot more.
Speaker 1: Fun any other specific training you want to get into before you actually graduate from the course.
Speaker 3: We did a lot of like the cultural training because me and my partner, I know, some of the other csts that you spoke to that program had so many evolutions, so I really admire them because, like you know, like Jess and Sam, like there was not nearly as much structure around what they were going into and how they're trained up and selected, So in retrospect and like knowing how their selections and train ups went, like very thankful that there was more of a structure around ours, and it.
Speaker 2: Was like, you know, actually targeted at what we would probably be doing.
Speaker 3: The cultural training was really helpful because me and my partner ended up getting the Dual Hat mission, so on top of our regular like combat missions to go out and you know, get info from women and children on the battlefield, we also were training the Afghan Special Operations female tactical batons, So the FTP, So I didn't know what to expect, Like I had never been anywhere in the world really, I mean I've been a europe but like, I didn't really know what to expect. So I was very glad for like the precursor training on just how women treated in Afghanistan. I mean, you can read about it, and you can hear about it, and people can tell you about it, but you don't get it until you see it and you live it and you watch it every day and you have to navigate it as you're trying to train with them.
Speaker 2: So I was.
Speaker 3: Thankful for that because there's a fair amount of trading on kind of how to navigate that space as well.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest, I never really understood what you guys do or why it matters for a while, because women don't really have any power in that society, so it's like, well, what intel are you really gathering off of them? But we had a lot of duffy in here. She was a counterintelligence NCO and when they go overseas they have them do a lot of human and they had her doing very similar things to what you did. And when she started describing about what a woman's scorned will say, oh man, it all kind of clicked and made sense for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean I have distinct memories of this on one old woman being like I don't basically rough translation, I don't give a shit about him.
Speaker 1: Please take him, Yeah, yeah, take them away.
Speaker 2: This is where he keeps his stuff that you guys are interested in.
Speaker 3: You see that shack over there, like, be careful because it's filled with explosives like please take his lazy ass. So very interesting. And then also, I mean the children, like children.
Speaker 2: Are one of our techniques.
Speaker 3: My CST partner, who is the most incredible person in the entire world, she had dyed her hair blonde, natural brunette died over there, and I was like, this is so reckless, Like how are you going to keep your hair dyet? And like I'm not even bringing razors, dude, I'm just like the hairyest person on you know, the compound.
Speaker 2: And she died her hair blonde.
Speaker 3: And that was such a tactical asset for us, let me tell you, because we would come upon like these like hordes of children, Like my favorite woman was this like riverbed where all these kids were getting pushed down because the terror we're doing things up further north, and they were like flowing through this river bed and we start talking to them, like the women are like not being helpful. Nobody wants to talk to us. The I think we were with seventh group, and seventh group is like, Okay.
Speaker 2: What do you guys want? And we're like cool.
Speaker 3: One rare occasion that we get two csts on one mission, which i was more common for the earlier teams, but once, like my team was only six women for to support the entire country. So you know, they had to decide where resources were going and how many seats we were taking and things like that, and long story short, they pushed them to the side of the riverbed.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants to talk to us. Nobody is giving anything.
Speaker 3: Even though we're pulling like all this money, like suspicious levels of money off of people, you know, passports and all sorts of things. And I think like the key thing that we got out of that little adventure was my CST partner like flipping her dyed blonde hair and this like probably six year old boy being like mesmerized and just ready to tell us exactly where he was coming from. Who was up there when they left, why they left, and it was all just like the blonde hair. So that's not obviously like the mission of the CSTS to like manipulate children into telling you things. But you know, it's just a it's it's a it's a group of they're essentially like flies on the wall, like they see everything, they're internalizing everything.
Speaker 2: They know what the routines are.
Speaker 3: A lot of times there are in charge of managing the routines right like they just like any woman anywhere, they want to keep their kids safe. So when it comes down to it, they they will talk. There's just ways to to try and get things out of them. But you got to come and prepared for that.
Speaker 1: And so you were based out of Kabul, and as you said, you had this dual headed mission where you were working with the female Platoon part of the KKA, but also going out on ops too and doing the more traditional I guess CST mission. I guess let's start with the with the female platoon. Tell us about them and what it was like working with them.
Speaker 3: Man, just incredible badasses like it. You know, I hear so much conjecture, especially today about like women's rights are being taken away and blah blah blah. I'm like, let me tell you about let me tell you about some women and women's rights. So you have the female tactical platoons, largely Hazara, right, so already a persecuted tribe. We had about forty two women. You know, they would answer these vague recruitment calls, often become the breadwinner of their family, often mothers, wives, daughters, whatever, have to get permission they sign up to join this thing. They know they're putting themselves at risk, they know they're putting up families at risk, and they are all about it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Like. It was so funny to me too, because it's like I was like a first lieutenant when I showed up, and my deputy was a second lieutenant and we're like, we're here to train you and be in charge. And it's like, sure, but the female tactical platoon commander has been doing the shit for like fifteen years, so like, actually, she should probably be like trading us on some things. But it was just like the ultimate exchanging of TTPs. At the end of the day, you know, we had just come off of all of these ranges with Range Regiment and the JSAC guys, and so we're like shit hot at that.
Speaker 2: So we're like, all right, let's get you.
Speaker 3: Out on the range and like teach you this or at least like brush up on these skills and make you really good at this so nobody can.
Speaker 2: Say that you can't shoot.
Speaker 3: The physical fitness thing, like training was a big thing, like teaching them how to lift weights, teaching them how to do what they need to do physically, especially when they're so tiny, and you know, oftentimes they were like didn't have access to enough food or water, so.
Speaker 2: Trying to navigate around that also just navigating.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Katahas were much better about treating those women like valued humans. And I don't know how much of that was because we were watching or what and like, you know, me and my partner were the third gender, like we're not women and we're not men in their eyes, right, And so those guys were much better with them than I. Then I think that probably the rest of the military forces would have been. But again it was still you were like dealing with that aspect of it of like we are going to leave at some point, the US military is going to leave. The intent here is not for us to do every mission together. If we are going on a mission, it's because we are doing it together, so that you were prepared to take this from us when we inevitably depart, Like us withdrawing should not be a surprise to anybody. It is impending. We need to go out and do this thing. But it was really cool, like sending them out not partnered with US, Like being able to send the FTPS out is like just the FTP is going on this partner led mission, you know, no US CST was like that was really cool to see, is like they're integrated and also that the US is truly putting partner force missions they are leading them to, including their using their enablers, their version of the CST. So that was very encouraging to see. Yeah, just incredible women that I mean, they're English great, we did a lot of English classes, we did medical stuff, you know, sensitive sight exploitation, just kind brave souls. Like we we thought we were like so bad ass being these women that are like yeah, we're going into combat units, like we're putting special operations and then you're like, okay, but this is like way cooler because these are like forty two women out of this entire country doing that thing, but they're doing it from Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: As women, right, right, Uh. I wanted to ask you, you know, if there was a difference between how you saw the female soldiers approach specifically the Afghan female soldiers approached the job, and what the differences were between how the men approached it, be they American or Afghan, you know, was there a different way that they went about things.
Speaker 3: I think the Afghan women on like FTP side, were like very aggressive and very confident.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Because these are their countrymen, right, and so like they know what these women are going through there, it was easier for them to pick up on like subtle differences in like body language and translation. Like when I was going into a dark compound, I had a translator with me, right, Like I had my basic commands that I had memorized and things like that, but like I still.
Speaker 2: Needed a translator to know what is going on.
Speaker 3: They didn't need that, so they were able to be like a bit more direct and aggressive. I think I think they just like genuinely really had to give a shit to be there, Like there is not the hero worship that like we are we are given in the US military of like, you know, bless our troops and support our troops. And if you're in the military, like you know, for a day everybody wants to call you a hero. They don't get the luxury of that like at all, even slightly. So there's no like valor in that, particularly for the women. Right. So I think just that that commitment and how seriously they have to take it and how committed they have to be to the survival of their country to even be in that position, was like that should like make you stop and think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to ask, like, did you get to learn any of the like individual backgrounds of these women, because I mean that must have been a very interesting life path that took them to get to that place. And I'm wondering if they faced being ostracized by their families. They had to basically elope so to speak, to join the military.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of them were for more progressive families. I mean at some point, you know, they had to either get permission or tell their families that they were doing this. And then again they were largely like making money, having to travel like to and from so like let's say they like went home on leave or something like that you know, they have to like stash their uniforms and all their military documentation somewhere because they couldn't be stopped on a bus traveling with that. But yeah, I mean I got I got to know them just great people like just I remain in all of them, very smart, like educated, if not formally like informally and seeking it out every day. You know, we all say like, oh, I'm going to learn another language, or I'm going to pick up a skill, or I'm going to like I'm always like I'm going to get into woodworking, and like I can't even like commit to buying the initial kit on Amazon, right, But these are not those type of people. Like they they were like I'm going to learn English, I'm I'm going to learn how to shoot, I'm gonna get really physically fit, and then they just get it because that's what they wanted to do. Yeah. Just just an interesting like spread of people, especially between like ages and where they were coming from. But yes, largely Huzzara, So that was that was a common trend there.
Speaker 1: What kind of operations did they do.
Speaker 3: In terms of like when they were on target, Yeah, same thing as a CST.
Speaker 1: So real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if we were going into a compound in the middle of the night and in and out they were there. If it was going to be a multi day type of thing, they were doing the same exact thing.
Speaker 2: So everything we were doing, they were doing.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then at the same time, I mean, how did it work. Were you getting pulled off of that mission, off of that detail I guess to go out on actual combat operations with the American side of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, I had a partner, so her and I would pretty much rotate out, and then when we would do like the rare combine thing, we would basically have to go brief the ranger commander and be like, this is what the training plan looks like for the week, this is who's handling it, this is what the ftps are doing. And then another a CST from the previous rotation had stayed back to kind of fill this like weird civilian billet, and so we would work with her to at least like make sure that the training plan was staying on track.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean you would just have to leave that was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was only six of us, so there was only so much you know, moving people around, and then you know, my teammates and other places were busy as hell, like, so you know they got to take a knee, like you're gonna be the one that goes. And also the other thing is like if you were a CST at that point fighting for a spot on a plane, and like you understand the value of the mission, maybe you don't have the krusty team sergeant that understands the value of the mission. And it's like some new team commander who's making the decisi know what the manifest is going to look like, you do not miss out on an opportunity to be able to go support and show the value of the CST mission because CST will not be included for that team's missions again. So like you better seize that opportunity and you better try really hard and do really well to make sure you basically don't like solely the name, but also so that you were actually value added and you're doing what American taxpayers are paying for you to go do on their behalf.
Speaker 1: What was it like going out on missions with the Ranger Regiment?
Speaker 2: Most of mine were with the ODAS.
Speaker 3: Thankfully h Ranger Regiment was like fast and furious, crazy. Yeah, the ODA stuff though, Uh those were that was super fun. I'm very partial to Odias. I just think I got along with them a little bit better. I'm sorry, I know, hope, I'm not hurting any feelings, but you know, I just loved like the energy of like a bunch of these guys that you're like not.
Speaker 2: Sure if in shape or what.
Speaker 3: And then they'd be like running up of down mountains like billy goats and stuff. But it was really fun. I really liked the multi day ones. I liked the complexity of it. I liked watching how those plans came together. I liked watching how the odias like tag team problems, you know, contributing into that decision cycle where I could working with the eighteen Foxes to have a good understanding of what we were going into and likely where I was going to be most useful and preparing myself to be able to pivot, you know, kind of getting like swapped out between oda's depending on who was in like what hot zone kind of thing. Especially for those multi day, multi odier missions, that was a lot of fun because you got to like kind of see how different teams run and like what the book is, so you had like your surfer bro teams, and then like your edgy teams, which are always really funny to me, and then like you're like jock dude bro teams. And so it was a lot of fun, and I got to work with a lot of like absolute legends in the community and see how they do what they do. It felt like it felt like almost reading like a war hero book, like like reading like Loan Survivors. Sometimes you're like, there's no ways, I mean some of that stuff not true, right, we know that now, but like you're like in the presence of these guys that like, this is what they do, this is what they have done for the last twenty years, and this is what they will do until they are forced to stop doing it. And I found that the older ones. That was the other reason why I really matched with the ODEA as well, is like it was just an older group of people, so the maturity was there to understand how to use us effectively, and there was less of the ego involved in like, oh man, there's a girl in our treehouse, right, Like it was kind of just like they'd seen it before. They didn't care, they knew the utility. They looked at us as a resource, and so they were going to use this as an essentially like a weapon system for them, right in, essentially an intel platform that they could weaponize. And so I really very much so appreciated working with the odas and particularly like the Foxes and then the Zoo's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's what a good ODA does, is they see what assets they have available and bring them in and make them part of the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were great about that.
Speaker 1: Any particularly dicey operations that stand out in your mind.
Speaker 3: There was one really horrible one where we kind of got stuck in a compound and we were folks were on their way to come help us out, and we did lose service members that day. That's a tough one. And it's like very weird because I still like I was there, but I have this weird like and nothing bad happened to me, Like I didn't get blown up or anything, but I have these like ins and outs of trying to piece together what's going on. That one was really terrible, but I can't really like speak to exactly the flow of that and what happened. Besides, it was terrible and we were outside of the Golden Hour ring and so it was just a lot of conflating factors that just culminated in something very tragic. I think. I can tell you like one of my favorite ones.
Speaker 2: We were cruising alongside this like little like ridge over.
Speaker 3: This valley, and I mean we are like we've been out for like a couple of days at this point, I think, and we started like taking pop shots and from the other side of the river. And then somebody noticed that there was like one of those tunnels like coming out of the river, and so these guys were just like popping out taking pop shots, and so we ended up just setting up on the valley basically like on the edge of the ridge, and like they would pop out like whack a mole and like shoot it us, and like everybody would just shoot back and one would drop, and then another one would come out and it would be like and then they would drop, and it was like very like what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: So finally they were just like calling out like these people are just gonna keep jumping out of here, like let's just push down. Clearly they have some kind of like nest set up there. Let's just push down and just drop firepower because this like Heidi hole like nonsense. But it just struck me as like just so cavalier like like because that was like the first the first like no shit, I'm within like what I believe to be like viable shooting distance right of like I could feasibly shoot this weapon and hit somebody. And so it was like, oh shit, this is like this is like real, this is.
Speaker 2: Not a range.
Speaker 3: There's actually people shooting at us, Like this is this is serious. But it was a very good opportunity to see that ODA, like how they operate, how they communicate. I mean it was like watching like a conductor of an orchestra, right like just all the hand signals and everything they were doing. I mean it was really it was cool and it made me. It made me more scared, but it made me more committed to like making sure I actually integrated with the teams and I understood the tactics that were expected of me so I did not become a liability.
Speaker 1: And what were the differences when you supported jaysock operations between between the and the j sock side.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't really like know half the time who we're with.
Speaker 3: I think that's the big difference is like when you would go with the it would be like, oh, this is Chit and Brad and blah blah, and you'd be like, oh, great to see you again, you know. And but then when there was like other guys, like they would just kind of show up and you never really knew who they were or what they were notturally doing there, but they would be part of like all the briefs and the walkthroughs, and then you'd like march out and get on the birds, and like they'd be there and they'd just be like super chill hanging out. I kept calling this one guy Dan because the guys in one of the odas kept calling him Delta Dan, and so like I just thought that was his name because you never introduced himself. And then so like we get done with this like nighttime mission thing we're doing, and it's like snowy as hell. I'm like up to my like hips and snow and you know, hauling all my shit back, and we're like getting ready to get on the birds, and I'm like, like, I hope you had a good mission, Dan, and he's like, my name's not Dan. I was like, Oh, how the fuck would I know? Because you never introduced yourself he's.
Speaker 2: Like they just keep calling me Delta Dan, and.
Speaker 3: So it was a lot like that was like they were just kind of like these like ghosts that would just like show up to things, do their thing in some part of the compound, and then like disappear into the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like very very funny.
Speaker 3: I never really knew what they were doing there outside of what I heard like in the briefing, but I just didn't know who they were or they would show up like right before we would go somewhere, right, So there wasn't like a whole lot of time to and realistically no need for me to be like briefing them on anything. As long as I was doing my job what I was supposed to be doing. With the intelligence that I was supposed to be focused on, I would be feeding into that cycle anyways, So there's no reason for us to be like buddy buddy. But I do wish I had been like a bit like just like more confident in order to be.
Speaker 2: Like no, seriously, what's your name and where like where are you coming from?
Speaker 3: But I was just like it's just really starstruck almost and also just like really intimidated, like you know, it was a twenty five year old woman dropped into this this thing that I like really wanted to do and have been thinking about for years, and then went through the selection and you're like, yeah, I did it, but the selection is just like get into the super Bowl, like you still have to perform, and the super Bowl guess what is month long? So I was just very like, I think a little starstruck now. I you know, I certainly would go up and be like, no, like, if your name's not Dan.
Speaker 2: Then what is your name, dude?
Speaker 3: Because at no point did you introduce yourself, nor do I know where you're coming from.
Speaker 2: But you know, twenty five, you don't really have the confidence for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh I know those guys they like look over both shoulders, then whisper.
Speaker 3: Up with the or you'd be like on the birds with them and they'd be like wearing some like with gray Man outfit and you're like, do you realize you're a gray Man outfit? Like draws even more attention because you look like such a nondescript weirdo. It was. It was like one of those things where you'd see them all over, you'd be traveling with them, like because because I was in couple, and I had to support you know, Odier's wherever, you know, other units everywhere, Like Green Air would come out and kind of just pick me up from my compound and then we'd kind of do like the rotation and whoever else was going wherever, and so like guys would get on and off and again same thing. It's like they're in the little gray Man outfits, just like staring at the wall and you're like, you can sit on this helicopter for like fifteen minutes and that's say anything, that's fine, but it's a little awkward at this point.
Speaker 1: I And then what was it like rotating home after couple.
Speaker 3: They come back to the States. Yeah, you know, this is like one of the big things that I think is underappreciated when you have units that are or programs that are unique and different. There was no so okay, so you come back with a regular unit, right, and there's the reintegration and they do the little march out in the field and see your families and then you have to go clean weapons and you do the whole thing. There was none of that. It was literally like.
Speaker 2: Get on the plane and go home.
Speaker 3: And so because all the all six of us had come from every duty station imaginable. We were kind of just kicked off to the four winds and it was like okay, that like it's over now, and that was really really hard. So thankfully some of the girls. The program manager at the time was like, hey, if you guys want to like take leave and be together, like we will work something out and you guys can do that because technically I still have like command authority over you. And so she gave us the opportunity to take a good chunk of leave and we all made a point.
Speaker 2: To be together.
Speaker 3: For those of us that could. I was living in uh Savannah at the time, and so two of the csts came out and stayed with me, and it was just like, yeah, we just needed that like that wine down time. It was very hard coming back to the conventional army, especially to an MP unit. Again, love the MPs, but there's a lot of like the machismo and like the chest bumping, and I was like, I've just spent so much time around this, but people that are like entitled to bump their chest and like scream about how they're big, strong men, So like I'm not going to take it from these state side MPs right now.
Speaker 2: So that was a little bit hard.
Speaker 3: I like went kind of rogue and like, I'm like a super rule follower in the Army, but I like came home and like put these crazy red streaks in my hair and I was like, I'm going to get like another really.
Speaker 2: Big stupid tattoo.
Speaker 3: And like pierced my ear and so I just kind of went like a little bit rogue. But yeah, I would say it was it was hard because there wasn't that structured integration program like back and then when you go back to your unit, nobody knows where the hell you've been for a year, right, So like everybody I had known at that unit for the most part, had PCSD or was about to PCs. So I came back to like a unit that did not know who I was, did not know where I just came from, and like certainly didn't appreciate that like these things that I had just done or these these emotions that I probably needed to process on the back end. So that was tough, but I was so I'm always I'm grateful to be an American, every single day of my life, So grateful to be an American. Getting off that plane and driving from we landed in Baltimore, driving down to Georgia and just that long stretch of highway just in my old beat up truck that my dad, you know, brought to the airport parking lot for me, and I got a very serious speeding ticket, but I didn't care. Just to drink like cold diet coke and speed on American highways. I mean, what a lovely what a lovely.
Speaker 1: Feeling McDonald's and Starbucks as far as I can see.
Speaker 3: Man. Yeah, I just loved it, and that it didn't sound like trash all the time, and that I felt I didn't have like the grit of stand in my teeth. Yeah, it was. It was a little bit hard. And then that's ultimately why I was like, I can't stay conventional Army. I need to find a way to keep doing something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wanted to because you mentioned this this issue that with a unit cohesion that the CSTS have. I mean, was that the way it was designed to work, that it's like a one year detail that you go and do and then you're just back to your old job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I failed to mention.
Speaker 3: I did get to some of us to get to like come back, slash, stay on and do like these little like almost tidy things to help with future selections for additional teams. So that was helpful, like because you kind of all got to come back together and do the CST thing again and then and then bring new candidates in and teach them like the tips and tricks that you had learned. But yeah, it was never It's not designed to be like a standing unit. I mean, this is a thing that you come in and you do it, and you usually go home, especially when you think about it, like from the officer side. I mean I kept getting warned about what it would do to my career progression that I was like going off of the script, off the timeline script, and I don't really like who I don't care about that, Like sure, I'm never going to be like a four start John't who gives a shit if I like did something cool one year. But yes, it was never designed to be a standing unit. Which is interesting though because now I hear these things of like, well, we don't need CST because we have women in SF and we have women rangers and I'm like a female ODA engineer, medic whatever her job is to be an engineer, medic whatever. Her job is not to deal with women and children on the battlefield. It's a totally different role. It's not simply the presence and the ownership. Can I save vagina on this.
Speaker 1: Podcast vagina is cleared?
Speaker 3: Okay? It is not simply the owner being the owner of a vagina that makes you just do that role. There is, there's training, it's a specific role, it's a specific techniques, tactics, things that you're doing. It's not simply just being a woman in the room.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, I think it's very unfortunate that it's not something that's a standing program or that it can't readily be pulled off the shelf and dusted off and be ready to be operationalized again. I will say later teams like we have like skill identifiers that indicate that we did it, but the earlier teams.
Speaker 2: Don't have that benefit.
Speaker 3: Which is also why a lot of them are fighting, you know, every single day to try and get their VA benefits to be to help them with the medical problems that they're they're facing as a result of their of their service is because they didn't. They weren't given that designated They were basically just told like go home. So I'm thankful that some of us have that designator at least because it gives us a little bit more to push back on.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, the last part of Afghanistan I got to get out of you, of course, is your dog smuggling ring.
Speaker 3: It was not a ring. First of all.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a conspiracy to me, if.
Speaker 2: My lawyer is listening.
Speaker 3: No. Yeah, met this puppy the mountain right there. Uh you know how cute those dang mountain dogs are over there.
Speaker 1: I would not describe them as cute, they're cute. And we had one kid get bit in the ass and he had to get a series of rabies shots. Young ranger getting bit out on the target.
Speaker 2: Well, that's unfortunate. I'm sorry that happened to him.
Speaker 3: But this was a very little puppy who is very sweet and bold enough to hang out around us because he had figured out that humans, especially Americans like dogs, love his kind.
Speaker 2: So he was willing to hang out with us.
Speaker 3: So you know, brought him down, kept him near us outside the compound, fed him, and he was really cute because he uh, like he knew that I was like, I would come and go, not an affectionate animal, like this was purely a resource exchange to him, and he would go and hang out on the flight line and like when the helicopter would come in, he'd be like hanging out, you know, like where's my turkey sausage? Like, glad you're not dead, where's my turkey sausage? So he really didn't give a shit about me. But I have been a lifelong animal lover.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: Even you know, even with my CSC partner there, that was a very isolating experience. I mean, only two women basically on that Ranger compound and then that's me.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much it.
Speaker 3: So just like a bright sunny spot in like a dark, dusty space and something hard to contend with when you're like twenty five year brain still forming. So met this dog took care of him. Finally, the rangers, similar to the Raby story, started rounding up the dogs and shooting them. And I had put a flea collar on this dog because I was like I don't want to have fleas, you know, And I got a very nasty message from the Ranger company commander saying like, whoever's putting the flea collar on the dog? He knew it was me, whoever's putting the flea collar on the dog, like cease and assist immediately. And I was like, okay, well I'm not. So I called back and I'm like, well, technically like this Jaysock Battalion commanders in charge of me.
Speaker 2: And he's like really cool, So I'm gonna call him and I'm like, hey.
Speaker 1: Sir, I have mommy daddy games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like, I don't work, You're not my real dad.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, hey, sir, it was me.
Speaker 3: I put the flea collar on the dog and I'm not gonna stop putting the flea collar on the dog.
Speaker 2: And he's basically like I don't want to hear about it.
Speaker 3: Stephanie like live your life, but like, don't the rangers like stop pissing them off. And so finally there was like a series of incidents where dogs started getting shot. Whether it was for good measure or not, I don't know, but I was kind of like I'm gonna like snap, like I'm gonna have a very hard time if somebody kills this dog. And so I reached out to an organization called Puppy Rescue Mission, and I was like, do you guys know any Americans in the area, and they were like, actually, we know this woman that's studying in Kabul, So if you can get him out of the camp, like we can start helping you. You just have to send this money to this person and then keep us posted basically, so I was able to get some of his basic veterinary meds brought in and get him some of that stuff. So he was at least like a stronger start than he probably would have been at this point. He was like outpacing his like half dead puppy brothers and sisters. I couldn't save them all. Kills me. I couldn't save them all. I had to pick one. And you know, so he's ten times bigger than everybody. And they keep telling me like, oh, at some point one night she's gonna call, and I'm just like really hoping it's not while I'm like out on mission or gone or something. And finally, like, do you remember those like shitty rochans Did you have to add minutes too? It was like these like next Tell but these.
Speaker 1: Like really crap like phone cards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you had to like put them in these like really crappy phones. And so one night I'm like really low on minutes. But they start calling and she's like, hey, I'm like on my way. So it's like she calls, She's like how do I get on this space? And I'm like, well, you don't, but like you can get into like the outer perimeter and then I can meet you probably, So she ends up calling.
Speaker 2: She's like, I'm outside the outer perimeter.
Speaker 3: So I geared up because I was gonna have to leave the gate.
Speaker 2: And this was not.
Speaker 3: A good decision. I knew it was wrong, but I was gonna do it. I don't think the Statute of Limitations has passed.
Speaker 2: This is probably unwise.
Speaker 3: But yeah, basically me and my CST partner, who God bless her, was like, you're not going alone. So she suited up too, and so we put all of our gear on and everything, grab our rifles and pistols and everything, go out to the gate and we're like, hey, we're gonna We're like gonna run the gate. We're gonna take this dog and run the gate. And it's snowing like hell, and they're like, all right, good luck, ladies. Like like if something happens, like we're not responsible, like this is you're not supposed to be doing this and I'm like, yep, okay, but you know, and so we run him out. This woman jumps out of the car, opens this car. There's this Afghan man driving and there's a cat carrier, and I like, shove this puppy in, kiss him on his nasty face and tell him like, I love you so much, I'll take you on the other side. And this dog is just looking at me like I should have killed you when I got the chance, and they just take off, and.
Speaker 2: Then I didn't hear anything for a while, and I was like, damn.
Speaker 3: I think like they just like fleeced me for money, right, And then finally I get this email that's like, hey, Smokey is at this like safe house outside a couple. We're gonna like try and get them on like a cargo plane. We need this amount of money for whatever. And I'm like, well, if they're still scamming me, they're doing a great job, because I'm gonna send the money. And one day I get a message it's like he's making it onto the plane. Do you have somebody on the other side they can get him? And I'm like, I really didn't consider that we would get this far. So like, no, I made no coordinations for this. So I called my roommate at the time and I'm like, hey, dude, if you take care of this feral animal that I'm shipping to our house, you don't have to pay rent. He's like what, So sure enough, good guy. He took care of him. I got back like a month and a half, maybe two months later, I don't remember, but he was like ten times bigger than the last time I saw him. He starts barking and like howling at me, and then finally he like realized who it was. And man, you talk about like homecoming.
Speaker 2: That was like.
Speaker 3: That like completed me just to see this, to go from this little tiny puppy to that' like giant, nasty mountain dog living in Georgia, and all his commands were were in pasto, so like I had to work with him on that too, because I couldn't go to like a Georgia dog park and be like Bill Parasha like this is like not a good look.
Speaker 1: He caught his freedom bird home, So is he there with you? Now?
Speaker 3: He is? He's he's outside.
Speaker 1: With my my Okay. I was going to say, extra points if we could get him on camera but.
Speaker 3: He's very he's very suspicious about cameras. He doesn't want his likeness to be seen.
Speaker 1: So you get this talk back to the United States and you're not so much enjoying your reunion with the conventional military. So what did you Where did you go from there?
Speaker 3: So I called c A called the CIA branch and I'm like, hey, I want to know if this CIA selection that I went to a very long time ago is still good. And thankfully at that time they were like, yeah, come on over. So even though I had done really bad on my what was the D lab? Was it the D lab the one.
Speaker 1: For language language? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I had taken that a week before I went.
Speaker 2: I went to selection, I want to.
Speaker 3: Say, yeah, it and basically the facility like lost power in the middle of it. And so then they restarted it and like it may as well have been like sim language to me, Like it was so bad at the D lab, I could have figured it out. So they were like, yeah, I mean, you're like language based scores like not very good, but do you promise us that you'll like try and learn a language.
Speaker 2: And I was like sure thing, and they're like, all right, come on over.
Speaker 3: So thankfully got to make the switch over to CA went through soft Triple C. Had to pause the training because I had to get my shoulder repaired.
Speaker 2: I had a series of.
Speaker 3: Like traumatic and to it, I was just trying to like nug through it, tie in it to myself at night, tying it to myself when I ran, you know, just it was like basically useless, just like a wooden arm that kept falling out. But that time that was really helpful because they were looking for a captain to come to the run the operations section at the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center. And that was right when COVID was like really popping off. And I had been going to grad school before I left for Afghanistan for emergency and disaster management. So I was like, this is my time to shine and so had a lot of fun with that. That's just like such a cool professional organization. I mean that schoolhouse, like all of my admiration goes to the Special Operation medical community. I mean what they do is truly incredible, just really really amazing people. So to be able to be inside the Schoolhouse and like keep them resourced, you know, make sure things were on track, advocate for them, like that was a really good opportunity. And then I resumed the pipeline, went through CAA and was very blessed to be assigned to the ninety first. So Africa, I'm aligned.
Speaker 1: And did you end up having to go to language school?
Speaker 3: Yes? I did French, not well, but enough to pass the tests and honestly, at the end of the day, that's all that matters. But yes, yeah, and we only got four months of language, which is pretty tough. So I felt really bad for the guys learning like Russian and Arabic. But yeah, I just got French, which is what I wanted because I really wanted Africa. Like I was like, I will do everything that I have to do to get Africa. I want to go to.
Speaker 1: Africa, And you did, right. They sent you to West Africa a bunch of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to go to Senegal and then Benin was the big one.
Speaker 2: Benin was probably the most impactful.
Speaker 1: Well, let's start with Senegal. Then what was that deployment?
Speaker 3: Like that was really fun. It was thirty people. It was very much like a get immersed, figure out what's going on out here, similar to what.
Speaker 2: You had talked about when we spoke before.
Speaker 3: It was there was a kind of an ocent thing that they wanted us to test out and do stuff with. So that was a great opportunity for us to go. Kind of hard to keep a low profile with thirty people, but that was super cool.
Speaker 2: I mean we went, we went all over.
Speaker 3: We really like really went like very like local like it was. It was really good. Yeah, just a good time speaking as much French as humanly possible. That was really the intent behind it was like get as many people a bit of on continent experience as possible in a low threat environment and like integrated with the embassy because West Africa is going to become a thing, so we need to start rolling people into here and you know, getting some names to faces.
Speaker 1: And it was the intent also sort of like developing the relationship with the Senegalie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. We went and met with the War College and then met with some of like the soldiers and then there was like a like a fight house type of thing that a lot of soldiers were in. So a bunch of the guys went and did like combatives like in the sand and just.
Speaker 1: Oh you're talking about that like that, uh, the native wrestling that they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was crazy. I didn't partner it again, I have a fake shoulder, so like not good. I will watch.
Speaker 1: But it's huge there, huge yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super athletes. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: We joined like a gym in the community and it was like such like a prison gym vibe, Like everything was just like filthy.
Speaker 2: Invested, and it was like such a good workout. Every time that they have.
Speaker 1: I've heard the kids state because it's a way. You know, kids do that because they make a lot of money if they become good at it. And I've heard them like lifting weights in Cadence. The guys I call in like one, two, three and you can hear the weights clacking.
Speaker 3: It was incredible, Like those gyms were incredible. I mean these guys were I don't know if they were using substances. I never asked, it was none of my business, but I mean some of the largest men I'd ever seen.
Speaker 2: It's so encouraging.
Speaker 3: Like I usually get irritated at the gym when somebody's like, ooh, check your form on that, But like when these guys gave me guidance, I'd be like, just sir, we'll implement that immediately. Just a good time it was. It was really just make some friends, understand the area, get some faces to names, and ingratiate ourselves at that phase.
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk at all about like the leadership challenge that you faced out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, without like sharing anybody's like private information. We had a pretty severe mental health crisis that happened, and this was like a pretty formative like leadership lesson for me. The company commander stayed back, so I was like the ground force commander out there, and I was which meant my peers, like I was responsible for reporting back on behalf of me and my peers as well, so other captains and one of the one of the soldiers we took with us, had a very serious mental health episode that we probably should have seen coming, like Echelon's above, us probably should have seen coming. So I was very frustrated by that, but it didn't matter. Like at that point, it was like deal with it and do what we have to do. And so again thankful to the Special Operations medical community. The medics across the teams in that unit were just absolutely fabulous, did what they needed to do, got very creative, tapped in some embassy resources to help us out and hold us over to make sure nobody was in like an immediately life threatening situation, and then we were able to coordinate a very interesting evacuation to get that soldier out and get him the help that he needed, which I mean, you've you've been over there, that's like not a place where you go to like local clinics or you right, yeah, like mental health is not a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's not. I remember I had a local woman in Senegal tell me, she said, uh, what was it that that like anxiety is a Western thing? Like we don't have that here?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. And also I mean let's also think like I don't I don't want to speculate, but like let's also think about like the the substances that are available in those markets that you might not even know if you're like out on the town, you might not even realize that you're you've engaged with.
Speaker 2: You know, probably not even on purpose, hopefully not on purpose.
Speaker 3: So I don't really know precisely what ha and I just knew that we had to we had to handle it. And again the team like really rallied to to respond to that and get that soldier out, and then you know, we came back and there was a big discussion on like what are civil affairs medics carrying when they are overseas because if the ideas that were small autonomous teams, we are not always gonna be in a situation where you can call the embassy and say hey, come help. And that's exactly what we had to do. So that was that was an interesting learning lesson I think for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, and then you said Benin was kind of a big one for you.
Speaker 3: Benin was like my caa super Bowl. So we were the soft civil affairs country opener for Benin. My team had the best team, very lucky, so we did Adja set with them. That was awesome. It was, like I said, the first civil fairs ones. So the semic focus. Benin was having a really hard time. The forces, uh Ben and wah. So if we call them the fab but they were having a really hard time because they're being a bit heavy handed up on some of the border regions and you know, rounding young men up, whether they were actually affiliated with terrorists or not. You know, they were still participating in general banditry to probably survive for whatever reason, you know, but they were being pretty heavy handed and so it's creating a really big rift with the community.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: Uh, soccaf and African were like, hey, this is a good place to target a civil affairs j set.
Speaker 2: Let's work through some of these sib MIL dynamics.
Speaker 3: So we had a great time, went out there, worked with them thirty days.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We maximized it. We made the most of it. We did everything with them, you name it, we did it. And it was good because it was a totally different group that had not benefited from the odas because they had like their there are like more tactical units that of course, you go to any country and you're like, we want to do a j set and they're going to give you their like their arranger regiment, right because they're like, that's who we want to give all this to. This was great because they were like they genuinely understood that this does not necessarily need to be like their their frontline guys that are like door kicking.
Speaker 2: It probably needs to be dispersed throughout the force.
Speaker 3: So they had like medics, vets, everybody in there, like lawyers, and then some like some of the ground troop guys, so that it could really disperse through the through the formations and then we closed that out and thankful to the gracious support of Spirit of America, we were able to secure a lot more money than I expected, and we were able to do a medical Civic Action program UH in a rural community. We also brought in an Odia to help trade in the fab that had done the j set with us, and then we're going to do this capstone event was going to be the medcap for a couple of days, they came in and talked to them about like setting up security for these types of events. So it was like a lot of layering effects and wouldn't have been possible without Spirit of America. But that was really really eye opening. It was like I felt like I was watching the baby birds fly, almost as like I had just spent thirty plus days with these guys, like teaching them everything I could possibly know about what they needed to know, or at least what I thought they needed to know, and doing it in French right, and like we had so much fun. And then that first day of the MEDCAP, I was like being very micromanagy and just because I was like you cited and jazzed up and I wanted it to go really well, and it was like so great because at one point one of the guys, like one of like the junior officers, came over and he was like, we'd got it, like we were doing this, We're okay, Like it's okay, like you can go hands off, and I was like cool. And then like for the rest of that medcap over a couple of days, it was like so much fun just observing helping, like using certain things as training opportunities, but at that like micro level, with the intent that would spread throughout the formation. And then the Embassy did a really good job of amplifying that story. And so it's great now because I see the one of the kernels that was in that j set, I see him like on the news now all the time talking about Benin and like the work that the FAB.
Speaker 2: Is doing in the local communities.
Speaker 3: And how they're repairing relationships and they're hosting events to get them a little bit closer to the population. So it just I'm super proud of that one because I think there was there was ripples from that, and I don't think that you always get to say that, like I didn't necessarily feel like there was ripples from my time in Afghanistan, right, I feel like there was genuinely ripples from the time and Benine and that to me is like civil Affairs isn't always seen as like the sexiest soft tribe, you know, but to me, that's like.
Speaker 2: Why it matters.
Speaker 3: That's that's really like the impact is that that human terrain aspect of it. And so I was very very proud, very thankful to be part of that that mission.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm really glad that you could explain to people what civil affairs does because there's a lot of misunderstanding or so it's more of a harder cell, I think than like a Special Forces guy or a Navy cel. People kind of understand.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, we do that to ourselves.
Speaker 1: I set my novel in Beneen.
Speaker 3: Oh really yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Had I known you were there, I would have called you up for some research.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I was busy. And also I got like heat stroke like four times. So again, thank got for my medics. Like I remember teaching teaching one of the classes with like an ivy like running through my arm as I'm like trying to like fight through my French translation of how to speak to people.
Speaker 1: And so as you start like winding down your active duty time, I remember you had told me you spent some time in Italy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So my final assignment on active duty, I was the Aide de camp to the Navy four stars. So that was super eye opening to work for the Navy, really great experience. He was the commander Naval Forces Africa, Naval Forces Europe and ally Jointed Force Command Naples, so the NATO Command in Naples, Italy. And so that's what I did for the last two years of my active duty time.
Speaker 1: Now, how do you like that? That sounds on paper it sounds like a pretty cush assignment.
Speaker 3: It was so not cush, like you know, my husband came over there for a little bit and then he was like, now I'm going to go back, because like you're never here, and when you are here, you're just like so stressful to be around.
Speaker 2: It was an incredible experience. The exposure.
Speaker 3: I mean I went to like over like think I did account It was like over like twenty five countries or something crazy some of those multiple times. The peak behind the curtain. You know, if you're the person that's attached the hip of a four star, especially in those commands, like to see historical events playing out in real time that nobody in the world but you and those people in that room or know that are happening right then, and then knowing you can't tell anybody about it, and then you see it on the news a couple days later and you're like, Okay, cool, now I can like kind of talk about it. Just a really good learning opportunity to the I would say to like anybody that's still in the military and deciding like broadening assignments like that. So I had to choose between that or an assignment at first Group, and I really wanted the first Group one, and that would have been an amazing opportunity as well. But there was like something niggling in the back of my brain that like a NATO assignment is like crazy, and a NATO assignment in a four stars like personal staff is like nuts. So I'm glad that I did that because the NATO exposure fabulous, Like just to be in an environment where you're not immediately like the big dog when you walk in, like you know, you go overseas, you go to all these places and you're like, I'm an American but then you walk into a NATO command and it's not always like the Americans in.
Speaker 2: Charge of the thing.
Speaker 3: So that was very humbling and very helpful. And then again to go to some of those countries that like in what world would I be going to like Serbia, right, you know, or like watching like crises in Kosovo like unfold from you know, the back of a plane and trying to figure out what we're gonna do when we hit the ground, like we had like an emergency landing in Poland that was nuts, and like I was in the cockpit with like the little GPS tracker, like trying to figure.
Speaker 2: Out where we were going and what needed to happen.
Speaker 3: Like just crazy like that, because like you're responsible for getting the four star where he needs to be because he's a four star, he's.
Speaker 2: Got a lot going on. He's the only guy that can do the thing.
Speaker 3: So very high pressure, but a lot of fun. Very thankful to have worked for that commander because he was very patient, very kind, very cerebral, and so my exposure to the Navy in that regard was I think that was good, good Navy exposure.
Speaker 2: And then just such a professional staff around him.
Speaker 1: But you didn't care for Naples so much.
Speaker 3: No, And you know, I'm ethnically Italian, like Theresa is my maiden name, Rittola is my married name. You know, I'm wearing a Cornicello necklace, like I'm Italian. But Naples, man Naples was the food ten out of ten, the wine ten out of ten when you went down to the Amafi coast beautiful. But living in Naples like felt like Syria. It's just the governance is very poor. They've been gutted in terms of the resources. In southern Italy, it was just chaotic. It kind of felt like a war zone. So I also, you know, I took the assignment and thinking, ooh, my European vacation, and it was very much so not a European vacation one because of the nature of the assignment and too just the location wasn't necessarily what I think one thinks of when they think about going to Naples, Italy. But nice to be able to just jump in the car on the weekend and like go to Sirecto or go like you know, rent a boat for like barely anything and just go cruise around. Even though I'm like, in no way qualify to drive a boat.
Speaker 1: And now you are in the civil Affairs Reserves and also out on sippy street work in a real job. How are you finding that? How's that treating you?
Speaker 3: It's good, you know. I got off activeduty with fourteen years. Made that decision for my family because, as I think a lot of people that are drawn to this community, if we don't actively pull ourselves out of it, will just continue to get on planes and go to other countries, and we're gonna chase that feeling every time. So I had to make a hard decision get out. My husband had gotten out like four years before, so he was he was pretty over the Army experience and went and did good things from there. I was terrified because so much of my personality is the Army. I mean, like I said, I I genuinely believe the Army saved me from a really bad future, like I was going down a bad path, like I talked about.
Speaker 2: So I owe a lot of my.
Speaker 3: Like just my everything, my education, my confidence, my friendships, everything I have to the Army. My dog, my husband, I met him in the Army, right, like I owe everything the Army. So very hard for me to make that tradition transition, which is why I made the decision to stick with reserve, So got off activity. The next day I was assigned to reserve unit. That Reserve unit is super cool. They're out in Virginia Beach. They're actually getting after stuff, really good realistic training and super high quality experienced people willing to learn but also teach. Just a good time with with good access out there. Virginia Beach is like incredible, So like sure, I'll go do drill in Virginia Beach because it's just beautiful. And then yeah, working on the civilian side, I work for an AI enabled decision intelligence company. They're London based.
Speaker 2: And I have a lot of autonomy.
Speaker 3: Absolutely love what I do. It's a it's a platform that I wish that I had had. Definitely would have been helpful in Afghanistan, would have been very helpful in West Africa, especially towards the soft and a regular warfare mission set. So you know, if you you believe in the in the platform that you're helping people get onto and learn about, and the team culture is awesome, that is really very much so making the transition easier. It's it's a great team, really great company. Everybody's awesome. A lot of former military soft from Allied nations as well, so I still get that kind of like NATO feel to it as well. And so it's been it's been really great. But you know, I still keep tabs on everything. I still get those those hunger payings for the Army sometimes. But then I go on the Army subreddit and like read all the crap that's going on, and.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, it sounds like there might be another adventure or two for you out there with the reserves, if they some more time spent in Africa.
Speaker 3: Maybe, Yeah, absolutely, I mean I think that's the seriously like undersung aspect of the reserves is like if you what I'm coming to realize is like, if you want to do something and you want to get after it, those opportunities available, and you're so much less at the whims of timing, Like I feel like it is on active duty, where like you missed the deployment by a month, right, or you know whatever, you recycled to school so then it delayed something like that. It's it's it's not like that in the reserves. Like if you want to do it. You want to contribute, even if it's for shorter stints, like you can go do that. So there's definitely opportunities that could come down the pipeline if if it makes sense.
Speaker 1: So tell us about All True.
Speaker 3: So All True was formed by former csts Jessey. You had her on one of your episodes earlier and she is incredible. So nonprofit founded by former csts, like I said, and it has grown to be an amalgamation of women and men from the soft community that are all about empowering future generations.
Speaker 2: So they're doing a lot of great work.
Speaker 3: They've done some incredible stuff in Ukraine and then Kenya was a recent one and they've got a lot of great stuff coming up. But that has been so critical to such a that that tiny community of women that were csts of like just being like I see you, I know what you did, I know what you're about, and just the rallying around each other, advocating for each other, and then all of the men that are part of that, that worked with us or worked around us, that also believe in that that operational imperative of of essentially like I don't want to say weaponizing gender, but knowing there's value in UH using that gendered aspect in for for operational.
Speaker 1: Success and and also you want to talk about Guerrera.
Speaker 3: Guerrera. Yes, did you watch Gera? No?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So. Guerrera is a three part series produced by All True and Dulcinea Productions.
Speaker 2: UH.
Speaker 3: It tells the UH story of Jenny and Captain Jenny Morino, she was killed in action when she was a CST, but it also tells the story of the broader CST story and also the Afghan Female Tactical Platoon story from csts that were there, ftps that were there, and then the men that we or at least those teams. I was not on those teams that was early in the in the CST program that were there and worked with those women and saw their value and still beat the drum for it. Like I said, three part series Apple, Apple TV, YouTube Premium and then Amazon. It's really incredible, if not just for like the footage alone, I still don't understand how they got some of the footage that they did, like archived footage, just really incredible. If you've been to Afghanistan, like you will, you will be like transported back. You can like you can smell it almost like that that distinct Afghanistans. Then while you're watching this but very moving, very important story captures a part of uh our history that I think a lot of people don't know about and probably would would never know about unless they went looking for it, just because the CST story has not been captured in that way necessarily before. So I think if anybody is interested in that, they want to learn more about the Odas and range A regiment and all of that and how we worked with them. That's a that's a really good primer. And then the context of like everything that was going on for the CST program to be stood up. I think that's an important part to understanding the the the policy and the strategic failures of the global we're on terror as well.
Speaker 2: So just a just a different, different approach to capturing that history.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I'm looking forward to it off to check it out. Is there anything else you'd like to talk about? Anything I've failed to ask during this interview that you'd like to get into.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel like we've been like talking for hours. I've just been talking so much.
Speaker 3: No, I really appreciate it I think what you're doing spreading the word, capturing people's stories is really important, you know, it's it's we were talking about before, Like this just makes it's a small world, but the military makes it even smaller. So I think it's really important to know what our our our brothers and sisters are doing out there or have done, because it informs what you could possibly do or what you might be interested in. Right Like, if people hadn't talked about the CST program, I wouldn't have known about it. I wouldn't have known to keep you know, I wouldn't have known to like key in on that when it came out on the in the mill.
Speaker 2: Per message because I would have had no context.
Speaker 3: So I think it's very important to talk about these these programs, even if they're sunseted they don't exist. I personally believe there will be a need for a CST or a CST like program again, and so I think it it would benefit us all to learn about it now and take some of the lessons from it, so we're we're a little bit more prepared next time.
Speaker 1: Definitely, where can people find you? Are you on social media or LinkedIn or anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The only social media I have is linkedin' I'm a LinkedIn girl these days. You know, you make the pivot to corporate, you got to be on the LinkedIn game. So yeah, you can find me on LinkedIn. It's Stephanie R. D Rotolo. If you want to see my dog, I do. I have to put pictures of him on there. He has his like very own branded aspect.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's where you can find me. I'm on there all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and yeah, we'll have a link down the description of this podcast also for folks. Well, Stephanie, I mean, thank you for doing this interview. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. It was super fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well stay in touch and everyone else. We'll see you guys next week. Hey, guys, I want to take a moment to tell you about the Teamhouse podcast newsletter. If you go and subscribe, it's totally free, and what it will do is aggregate all of our data, all of our content that we put out, the things that are on the Teamhouse on our geopolitics podcast, Eyes On, things that I write journalistically with Sean Naylor on the High Side, anything else that we have going on books we recommend upcoming guests that we have coming on the show, and also you know, filtering in some fun stuff in there as well. If you go and check it out, we send it out just once a week. We don't want to spam you guys. It's just a kind of roll up of all of our content on a weekly basis. You can find our newsletter at teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash join again. The website for that is teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash join. Uh So we hope to see you there. The link will be down the description