Speaker 1: M oh no, what evil work in the hearts of men? The Shadow a.
Speaker 2: Shadow? Hearian card the way the points of Law and honor believe as wealthy young man about count as the Shadow. Kriston's gifts with ypnotic power to cloud men's minds so that they cannot see him. Cranston's friend and companion, the lovely Markling. If the only person who knows to whom the voice of the Invisible Shadow belongs. Today's story Shandom Fingerpreadkay, you must understand h only I am a woman? No annessy Uh, I am a lady? No? I am I am?
Speaker 3: You am crazy?
Speaker 2: Mm? You say something, Margot mar what do your man? You've been sitting a bad typewrite for the past three hours mumbling.
Speaker 3: I am a lady, I am a woman.
Speaker 2: Well, so you just don't understand how an or so much search for the right word search there was a man hunt. Well not tell me. Do you think she should say I am a woman or I am a lady?
Speaker 3: No, I depends on what she is.
Speaker 2: Well, she's both.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you playstaf and just call her a female?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, they go again. How do you think it would sound for her to stand up and say I am a female.
Speaker 4: Well, I was only trying to help.
Speaker 3: They hadn't you a date with Commissioner west Can you take him to a rehearsal tonight?
Speaker 2: And I didn't want to rewrite this scene and take along with me.
Speaker 3: Though, Well, then call a woman and let's go with that.
Speaker 2: Well a woman, isn't it's very good? Yeah? I am a woman. Say that is good? I am a woman.
Speaker 4: Here a genius.
Speaker 2: I am a woman. Now come on, let's get down the police headquarters. Commissioned Weston ready to see the thing I'm doing. Well, as a matter of fact, I'm well, I don't stare much mystery plays and that's a rehearsal.
Speaker 4: Oh dam quickly? The money sitting through off things?
Speaker 2: And no, Commissioner, I want your opinion on the place. After all, I am, as you've told me so, off and merely an amateur criminologist. I'd appreciate the judgment of it, expert. You really want my opinion, you're invaluable opinion, Commissioner. Well, in that case, miss Lane, and she put it that way, And the publicity agent.
Speaker 3: Thinks it'll be good for the show if you come to see you rehearsel.
Speaker 2: Oh so that said that. So I'm just being used as a publicity gang. But good publicity commissioners, commissioners alive. Come in, good evening, boy, I didn't know you had ar comment anyway, Doc, come on in, miss Lane and Miss Cranston. Doctor Killgard.
Speaker 4: How do you do?
Speaker 5: How do you do?
Speaker 2: We mentioned for doctor are killed Dods? I medical examiner. He's been with a fox for? How long? Is the doctor forty years? Next Thursday? Command, Yes, of course. And by the way, doctor man on the port of throwing a little party for you to celebrate your long service, Yes, I know, and I appreciate your thinking of them ready, but you know, I just hate to be reminders and I'm getting old. Well, I uh, Doc, I've been thinking things over and I thought that the party would be a good place for you to announce my retirement. Yes, Doc, now, I have your pension papers in the drawer of my desk there. I haven't signed it yet because I wanted to talk to you first. Well, it hasn't my work been pedisfectory commissions. Doc, you're the best medical examiner in the country. But we're thinking of you. You've worked hard all your life. Now you can retire at full salary and enjoy yourself. If I retired, I'd be dead in six months. Now, Doc, that's no way for you to talk. I'm an old fire horse, commission I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have my work to do. But of course, if you want me to retire, I'll do it. I wouldn't think of it, Doc, I was only doing it for your day. Well, then shall we forget it for the time being? You see, I don't want to retire yet, Commissioner, I'll forget it. And doctor, all right now, I guess i'd better get along. Oh what is it you came in to see me about? Doc? Oh what would you rather we left the room? Do you'll go? Oh? No, no, indeed not. It can wait as the morning Well weren't the first act unless we hurt you, see doctor, Mister Cranston's plays and reheard so tonight, and they want my critical opinion. But if you want to talk to me, I'll be glad you don't. Indeed, what I have to tell you can wait, Commission. Ah, well let's go then. Oh, by the way, doctors report, And I wanted you to look at her right here on my desk, and you sit right down and go over them. There'll be no one around here about you at the time of night.
Speaker 3: All right, we've got a Jassi sixteen minutes to get there. We'll never make him.
Speaker 2: Wait. Well, well the police that's called me playing police? Course?
Speaker 3: Whoa did you get.
Speaker 4: Out of the money?
Speaker 2: Yes, maggy, goodbye doctor. I got to tell you I don't work too hard.
Speaker 4: No, I won't have a nice time, and we will.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna work the siren. Oh now, just working. Let me see where did he say those reports? We? Yeah? Oh, yes, yes, course then and let me see.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, indeed, you're giving me a mighty interesting case. Why I that's odd.
Speaker 2: I had I heard something. Hey, who's there? Uh? Who's there? I said, I. I can't see you over there in the dark. Oh no, no, not you uh d don't look at me that way. No, no, you you could not. I'll call my house. Please, please you you couldn't. What what have I done to you? Oh? Please speak to me, cause you don't just keep looking at me that way? Well you you wouldn't kill me?
Speaker 4: Well you couldn't that it's impossible.
Speaker 2: I oh, oh, Wellcommissioned Witton, what's your opinion? I think you've got a mighty nice Later here a mighty nice.
Speaker 3: I think Lamarck's more interested in your opinion of these to well, of course all that.
Speaker 2: Well, now look, Criston, your villain is supposed to be a master criminal. Makes a foolish blunder for one thing, Well, then you don't think a master criminal would leave his fingerprints around, even by accident. Emphatically, no, I don't see why I see you the face Commissioner mass one of my man from headquarters. Guy, what are you doing here? Giles? Well, dostor Giles, Hello, I've got bad news for you. Doc ChIL Goods did why we just left him two hours ago in my office. He's been murdered. I know how you feel, Giles. I know we all feel. Who did it? Want to kill him? I wish I knew Giles step On at market. Yes, doctor John, you were doctor Kilgore's assistant, weren't you know? He was more than just my superior. He was the best friend I ever had, peopled me to medical school, got me the job as his assistant. But he was so good, happy one wife. Why should anyone one on now, come on, put yourself together. I'll help you all. Help you are. Have you had a chance to examine the Bundy? Hey, yes I have? What did Your fine doc has been stabbed at the face of the STU with a sharp instrument. Guess resulted almost immediately commissioned Western school Man. At least he never knew what happened. Chief. If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to bring the doc murderers a justee. What did you say was with you when you discovered dot kill Goer's Bonnie Molley? No? One, sir? What time was it? You're asking that question at least four times in the Western and you've interrupted this investigation at least fifty Oh.
Speaker 4: Commission, you're graduating. I said more than a doven words in the last two hours.
Speaker 2: Please, oh right, But I just want to be help. What time was it when you discovered the body? Molly? About eleven or just before eleven? You're off thirty eight o'clock? What are you doing at the office at that hour? Is this the third degree?
Speaker 4: Commission?
Speaker 2: No, they did not the third degree. We don't use the third degree. We don't believe in thurd degree. Methods. Well, you don't have to show that mean you needn't leave you all. I'm not leaving my office, but you are what dials? Dials? Where Cranston he's out here jumping the body. He will not make him in here immediately. He brought Nick mckon ow. Look, Clanston, I don't mind you and McClain being here, but he's interfering with my investigation.
Speaker 4: I am not I was just right.
Speaker 2: I think it's time you went home anyway. Yeah, it's two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not going home. I'll wait outside for the month.
Speaker 2: And as for you, mister Weston, it wasn't necessary to be so rude. Good night rude. Now maybe I can get somewhere at doctor Jones. Tell Commition of Wston what we're just discovered. Why it's your idea? Mister Clinston, you tell him, Well, had our commissioner, do you need me any longer? I'd like it all? Oh, I had, But I haven't finished questioning you yet. I'll see you tomorrow morning. Molly, Yes, sir, that's well, what is it? Grandson? Commissioner? Do you remember killer Norvilly? Remember him? I certainly oughto I sent him to a chair in nineteen thirty one. That's right. He was a tough customer, all right, murdered about five people with his knives, Commissioner. Before he started on his career of crime, he was a night flow and vote. Isn't that right? Yes, that's right? And what are you driving at? And doctor Giles tells me he performed the autopsy on him, right, Giles, Yes, I'll never forget. It was the fall of nineteen thirty one, my first big assignment after Doc kilde Gump in my job in the department. What's the murderer electric cureed eight years ago? I got it there with the death of the doctor. I don't know the answer to that, Commissioner, but there's a not similarity in the murder technique. And as doctor Giles pointed out, the whip and used on doctor Kilgore left the same side corner mark has found on no Velly's victims. Yes, everything is the same. Why if I didn't know the Velly was dead and buried, I say he was on man. Now wait a minute, Wait a minute, gentlemen, I can see exactly what you're thinking. Killer nor Velly comes back from the dead, to kill a man he never had anything again, Oh no, no, grand all right, all right, commission him. Now what about fingerprints? As I told you before, Cranston, a smart criminal doesn't leave his prince around about. O'Reilly found a clean cutst of prints right in the center of your desk, Jeef, he's on in the files right now checking up on them. What on my desk? You say? A complete set of princess from four fingers and a thumb, all perfect, no smudge is perfect. Well, you're very fortunate Western. Well have the murderer within an hour, Granson, I wish you luck. Gee, I've got the murderer. He's the red who killed dot kill Gore or Moly. I know your story sounded funny. Hi'll do it. Doctor Kilgoll was a friend of mine. You've got the belief up. What is all it, O'Riley? Well, I was developed in the photographs? Was the finger prince? We pound in your office? Chief? When I hundred ns and Doug kills our's office. Yes, I rushed in and hard mole in the red handed going through the duck's papers. This paper was in his hand when I jumped, and I'd say it sure, I was going through his papers. But I didn't kill Doc. I can swear why he was the best friend I ever had. Is getting to be most interesting. What did the paper say? Wasn't the note for eight hundred and fifty dollars made out to Doc kill Guard and signed Charles Moulling? Well that doesn't mean anything. I can explain that. I'd like to have you explain that, Molly. But I did Doc eight hundred and fifty dollars. But I but I paid him back early this evening. He was busy in the labnth didn't have time to get the iou for me. After he was dead, I realized how bad things will look for me if the note were found, so I went to his office to get it at Molly, Well, that's about all there is to tell. He lent me the money to pay off them, and i'd been gambling with I didn't want to lose my job, and I knew I would have you found out that I'd been gambling. You say you paid the money back to doctor kill doll Yeah, certainly received me nice. Where is no money was found on Doc kill Gore. Now I'll tell you what I think, Molly, you owe dot the money and you couldn't pay him. You've got to come to tell me about it. Bout the gambling. You got death, but can kill him? The favorite doubt I gave him the money. I tell you, I get your get a foot. I know how you feel. Doesn't anybody believe I didn't do it? Take him away? L Riley? All right, gee, come on, give him a HANDI all right, Cranston, you're convinced you have duck Kulans murder, absolutely motive and all. I don't think you have, Commissioner, there's too many loose ends. What about the fingerprints in the center of your desk? Why was the knife throne? And already you know it withdrawn just a hunch. You can't convict a man on hunches. I've got proof and the motive. What happened to the money? There never was any that was part of Molly's phony story. Oh I see, you know, Commissioner, those fingerprints, and treat me well. Go to work, Sherlock Holmes for me. I'm going home and get some much needed sleep. Come in right, have bought me the chief, But it's O'Reilly here, always busy? What did you want? But it's about the Prince Chief the month we found on your death. What about him? Well, I've checked him and I have re checked him, and they don't make sense. What are you talking about? Things of Prince we found on your death. Chief belonged to Killer Norvelly, but he's been dead since nineteen thirty one. Please Cranston, go away and don't bother me. I'm too busy to spend my time watching Born of a Axe. After all the excitement last night, I had about two hours fleet look at his debt piled with mail. I'll never get through it. All are missing something, Commissioner, there's a woman nice thraw on the billow is simply terrific. I don't care if he is can be terrific, I can't. Nice Drawer, the.
Speaker 3: Most interesting woman commissioned Western.
Speaker 2: Not a Maria Novelli, Killer Norvelly's widow. You know a Killer Novelli again, Cranston. If I hear that name again, I'll begin throwing things and it won't be nice.
Speaker 4: But commission it.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it's sink? Think I go away? Mis Laine. Please Crampton go write another Mystery Player or anything you want, but don't follow me. I got the murder of Doc kill Gown. I got a motive and that's all I need. I hope, so man, I said, I really hope. So for your sake, as for me, I've got a hunch. Come on, Muggle, goodbye, Muggle. The Shadow is going to pay, Madame Maria Norvelly. I'll visit backstage at the Lyceum Theater. Who is there? I can see no one. It is I the shadow. You cannot see me, but I can see you, and you must answer my questions. Have you what do you want to hear?
Speaker 3: Nell and Novelly stressing room?
Speaker 2: Who murdered Doc Kilgo? Madam Nobley, I don't know what you mean. Is it Nolly? No?
Speaker 3: No, it could not see he is dead?
Speaker 2: Your husband? Yes, but he is dead dead, I tell you that is the truth. It was evil.
Speaker 3: He killed with the knives, the beautiful knives. I teach him the great art to throw the knives, and he uses to kill Who else?
Speaker 2: Have you the knives? Many? But yeah, what's one?
Speaker 1: Last year?
Speaker 3: I taught him he was very good. He's done quick.
Speaker 2: He learned as good as not. Really, I want him to join the act with me, but.
Speaker 3: Go on, go on, Yes, they know he say he got other reason, but the uses for the knives A he is evil too like nor really is true? Everything is true?
Speaker 2: Name? Oh, no, that I cannot say. He make me Promi's not to tell.
Speaker 4: He say, I'll kill you with your tale.
Speaker 2: You must tell me his name if I help you, please, please do not have that quickly? His name?
Speaker 3: All right, I will tell his name.
Speaker 2: His name is. That's the story, Margo. According to doctor John's report, the same weapon that killed Doc kill God also killed Madame Novell. Any fingerprints Founder's time the mongol Oh, yes, the ever present fingerprints were there, perfect said as usual, and of course they belonged to our friend, the late killer Novelly.
Speaker 4: But how could a dead man go around killing people?
Speaker 2: He couldn't, Margo, That's just it. Murderers merely using a very clever device to saw the police office trail. Yet the fingerprints do, Max Lamont, Yes, confounders, that's the confusing part of this whole thing. If I knew how the murderer performed this neat little trick and had no better way to look for him, well, darling, at least you were smarter than Commissioner Weston, he thought Mowley was the guilty party. Oh why, I was a bit upset that the killer should have struck again and Moley safely got it miles away under lock and teeth. Then I can't be too hot on Winston. My record hasn't been too good on this case. Ei. Then well, I know maybe killing or well he is alive, maybe he's the man we're after after all.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know that mood of yours when I hear it.
Speaker 2: Come on, Chief, you and I are going out for a nice brisk walk. It's getting pretty late. Mongos that no, I won't.
Speaker 3: Take no for an ends, And I come on my gloves and oh dear, look at them, just look at them.
Speaker 2: Look at one. Oh gloom, I wants another one.
Speaker 4: Oh ruin, that's all ruined.
Speaker 3: I just got them back from the cleaners and they washed them instead of dry cleaning them.
Speaker 2: Now look, yeah, they've ripped. Of course they've ripped.
Speaker 4: All the oil has been washed out of the leather. If they had any sense.
Speaker 2: Oil leather, preserve margle if the oil was still in the leather, the preserving oil, they'd still be good. There's a glove, I mean the month some time. Of course, that's it. You've just given me the one link I need to tell the case. I don't understand what you remember. I told you if I knew how the murder of performed his trick, I'd know where to look for him. Yes, well, Mogo, right now the shadow has to make a call on a gentleman in a dissecting laboratory. Oh there, answer me a lot. It's a shadow, doctor Gilds. So sorry to interrupt your labors, but I must ask you to give me a very unusual pair of gloves. You present what well? I uh, I can't see her. No, unfortunately, you can't see the shadow. I ask you for the gloves, not oh for your men. You can't know anything about me. I know this, Giles, but only you and doctor Kilgore would have been able to get the finger prints of killer nor Billy after he was electrocuted. M and with doctor Kilgore that it was pretty obvious who the murderer was. You know a little too much, Shadow. I have a knife in my hand. I can't see her, but I can hear. Why don't you throw your knives? Yes, Shadow, there there there I killed yet. No, doctor Giles, I'll not be another of your victims. I Oh, what do you wanna see? I want your confession to the murder of duct Kilgore and Marina Belly. I also want the pair of gloves you made of human skin, the skin you took from the tips of killing Overy's fingers. Would you perform the a topsy and then kept in preserving oil? You know too much, Shadow, But I can talk plainly to you because you won't live to tell you killed or kill God? Yes, I kill him? But why why? Giles thought he studied my way? I should have been head of the department long ago if I had a wait for him to die. He also had found out that you had killed Overy's finger, Prince, and was going to tell Commissioner Western the night you murdered him. Is that right, child? It It's right, But he can't tell now Kenny met him. Novelly's dead too, because she knew too much. Everyone thought the Velly did it, didn't they, gild I prepared for years to do this. First I stole a fingerprints from Novelli's hands when I performed the autopsy in his body. Then I got Novelli's own wife to teach me to throw the ninth the way he did. No one would catch me, No one would suspect me. My time was perfect. No pl in this perfect. In some way, the criminal slipped up and has brought to justice. I want to know, why do you send for me? Giles? I send for you, Commissioner, the shadow shadow here and headquarters, guest Commissioner, And this is the man you want, the murderer of Kilgore and men of Noma. What child? Ass child? Surprise day, Commissioner, YESHI anything, Hi, Jedny. But you couldn't tach me. You'd never found out. Now that you have your ectoic, you're not gonna take me away too late, Shad always said, killed himself.
Speaker 4: Oh come in hello, commissionering memo.
Speaker 2: H oh hello, Layne Cranston. I'm busy, sad, as say, Commissioner. I wanted to see you this morning because I have another idea about the kill Gour case. What hey, wait a minute, don't you read the papers? The papers. I brought the case wide open last night with Giles. I know it all the time, Giles. Well what do you know about that? Giles? Well, well, dude, tell us, Commissioner, why did Giles do us go out and buy yourself a paper Cranston. I'm sorry. I've got a lunch and take with the mayor and I'm late now, Commission.
Speaker 3: Rest, we'll actually get to hate you if you've teached him too much.
Speaker 2: You know, this muggle. He didn't give the shadow any credit for the solution of the crimes. Whoever, I broke the case last night, Cranton opened my mom. That was a horrible case. How could Giles kill the man who was his best friend, who helped him to school, got in his job here?
Speaker 4: How could he?
Speaker 2: Well, my good Giles was obviously suffering from a persecution conflict. He imagined the world was against him. He said his friends were his enemies. His twisted brain was a brilliant one. It was devilishly tibber. But he paid for his crimes, as all criminals to do. Eventually say that isn't sand what let line? I can use that in my second Nay.
Speaker 4: You mean, just before the heroine says, I am a woman.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, no, no, marble. The weed of crime bears have fruit. Crime does not be I don't know