Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: It's time now for our community connection right here on K one. The one you trust, not a stranger. Mikes Orenson's her with us and he is with the Amayah House Community Development and boy a little bit of a name change. Their head looked twice. So what's going on, Mike.
Speaker 3: Oh, good morning. Yeah, we're well. We continue to just do what we do.
Speaker 4: We're helping people coming out of addiction, out of jail, out of homelessness, and we're we get deeply involved kind of creating a holistic program for all the stuff people need to transition into independent living. So that's kind of our daily work that's always going on. But this week we're gearing up because we have our our annual fundraiser where we do a big rummage sale and so this is this is our second year of doing the big rummied sale outside the Old Emerald in Hotel.
Speaker 1: Okay, right here on seventy five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's on seventy five, just north of Frank Phillips. So if you're right next to gansmol and all that right over there, you'll see a big sign coming up.
Speaker 3: This weekend. We've been getting donations here.
Speaker 4: For the last few weeks, people have been bringing us a lot of stuff that they're ready to get rid of, and we get to stand out there and meet people and sell it off, and this helps raise money for all the practical things we do with everybody every day.
Speaker 1: You're going to do this both Friday and Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Friday and Saturday, all day, will be out there setting up early.
Speaker 3: We say nine to five.
Speaker 4: We'll be out there getting it all set up, ready to go, and we'll be ready to sell at nine both days all day. We'll probably close down at five, but if people are still buying, we may stay still stay out there.
Speaker 1: And you got food vendors out there too, so.
Speaker 3: We will have food on Saturday.
Speaker 4: I think we're going to have some I think we're going to have some breakfast, some donuts and things in the morning.
Speaker 3: On Friday.
Speaker 4: Our guys going to be coming doing hamburgers and hot dogs on Saturday lunchtime, so we'll be ready.
Speaker 3: We'll feed you to come out and buy.
Speaker 4: Her and that all that kind of supports the proceeds for what we need to do now.
Speaker 2: And dian May, you're talking about people coming in off addiction out of incarceration and this is not an easy job. This is this is not for the timid, and you're teaching them life skills. You guys actually did a little did a little figuring here, how well is this working?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had to we're you know, with different things that we're applying for grants and different things that we're doing.
Speaker 3: We've had to do some research to be able to give numbers.
Speaker 4: And so we went back and researched, and especially the last three plus years since we really kept numbers, since we opened our Women at Children's House, we started getting numbers and started tracking down where are all these people now? How are they doing a lot of people that came through our program, and we found that about seventy three percent of the people who had come through our program over those three years, whether they graduated or not, are living stable life. If they're now, they've not relapsed, so they're still clean, they're not not gone back to jail, they're living in safe housing, and they also are working. So those those are kind of our four categories that we measured. And so to have a seventy some percent success rate when you're talking about dealing with people coming out of addiction is astounding to us.
Speaker 3: I was, I was amazed by that number.
Speaker 1: You should be, because that's off the charte.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on average, somebody who goes to rehab, they'll say they go to rehab seven times on average before they stay clean. So it's tricky work. But I found like what we're doing, we're not the rehab per se. What we're catching people coming out on the other side of that. They've usually gone to rehab.
Speaker 1: First, helping them transition.
Speaker 3: But we're helping them with all the other stuff.
Speaker 4: That's because they come out of rehab, you know someone's done it, even when they had a really great experience in me have they come out with a lot of tools for their addiction, but they still don't have a driver's license. They don't have a job, or a place to stay or any of these other things, right, so they don't in addition to mental health and recovery things that they have to work on, they may have a lot of trauma or different things they need to deal with. That's part of my job because I'm the licensed counselor, so I help with some of the deeper mental health issues that people work on. But there's all kinds of stuff that people need help with there, and if you can help them stabilize the rest of their life, that makes it much easier on them to maintain their sobriety and to maintain these because now they've got a job, they got something to live for. When they're desperate and they don't have a place to go, a place to stay, they don't have a job any money, they're going to go back to the people that they know, right, Like, they're going to go back to the easy, easy path is to go back to somebody who will give you a place to stay.
Speaker 3: But that person's probably not good.
Speaker 4: So we found the amazing success, right, We've seen from people who who will.
Speaker 3: Get in and do the work of the program.
Speaker 4: You know, you have to want to do some work because they're in classes and groups, they're working for us, they're doing all kinds of stuff. So it's like if they're willing to say yes, I just show me what to do, help me out. Those people, we've seen them do amazing things. We shared a and we shared a story. People find our facebook page. I shared a or on our website. They we shared a testimonial just a couple of weeks ago from one of our ladies' this just graduated our program. That just I mean, it makes me cry every time I watch it.
Speaker 3: She blows my mind.
Speaker 4: Melissa, her story is outstanding because she was homeless on the street in addiction, and she talked about just reaching a point where she was she was offered a place to stay because she didn't have anywhere else to go. She was down in Tulsa and she said, this friend offered her a place to stay, and she realized it was this lady's tint under a bridge, and she was like she kind of at that moment, it was nice this person offered her a place to go, but she said, God has more for me than this, right and that was part of her decision to go to rehab and to see her now. She just moved into one of the cottages on Sixth Street. She just graduated our program. She works for us leading other people, and I'm like you, you wouldn't recognize the person she is now from where she came from. So to hear people that have been through just horrible abuse backgrounds and all kinds of terrible stories that to see them thriving in life, Man, it'll blow your mind what these people do folks.
Speaker 2: You can help by by helping a d and by community development to do right by people by doing right by them. You come to the big sale coming up out there at the Old Emerald Inn and that will be on Friday and Saturday right there at the Old Emerald Inn Hotel on seventy five just Dorthan Frank Phillips Boulevard. Bring your dollars, bring your sins, but also bring your heart and your compassion.
Speaker 3: Absolutely come talk to us.
Speaker 4: And we got a lot of I mean, we've got furniture, electronics, we've got you know, exercise equipment, all kinds of stuff that people have donated. There's a lot of big stuff out there, and some of it's really nice. I'm like, people brought some pretty new stuff.
Speaker 3: So you'll get a good deal. And there's a lot of good stuff going to be out there, so it'll be fun.
Speaker 4: But come talk to us too. We would love to get to know people who are interested.
Speaker 3: In supporting or being a part of what we're doing. Uh.
Speaker 4: This is we like, you know, informing people or telling stories, introducing them.
Speaker 3: All our people are going to be out there working.
Speaker 4: We'll have all our our participants are going to be out there, you know, contributing and helping us restock stuff and doing all that, so they'll be out there too. We love telling stories and teaching people about what we do, so we would love to have some visitors.
Speaker 1: Well, that's going to be great.
Speaker 2: They can see the success written on the faces of the people who will be there, and that that's very telling. And you know that you're investing not only in a human being, which you are, you're investing in a lot of human beings, but you're also investing in our community. Shortly before the program, Mike and I were talking about different things related to Nea Maya, and you were telling me the cost of incarceration. I had no idea it was that expensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it costs the city over twenty thousand dollars a year to hold somebody in jail, and there's lots of other emergency services costs things like that. The estimate is that for one person who's who's caught up in addiction and some of these things, it would cost fifty to one hundred thousand dollars a year for the city per person. It's a lot of money we spend on someone who's stuck in those things. And so when we help one person come out of that, it's saving money too, even if you're even if you're you know, we do it for the people, but when you look at that, you're like, wow, it's saving a lot of.
Speaker 3: Tax dollars as well.
Speaker 4: When we get somebody who's no longer using up emergency services, not going in now the er or they're not going to jail. And then there's all kinds of administrative costs to that too. When you're paying the DA, you're paying all these different things for court costs and judges and all that. For people going through this stuff, there's a lot of costs to the city and to go, yeah, when you you lift one person out of there, like, it's saving us a lot of money, it's much cheaper for somebody who's now contributing Now they're working, they're paying taxes, and.
Speaker 3: They're paying rent.
Speaker 4: Then they're you know, they're contributing something to the community now too.
Speaker 3: In addition to just the I.
Speaker 4: Mean, you can't not be mood like you watch some of these stories, like you can't nott be mood by.
Speaker 3: The people side of it. But it's also a practical, real good too.
Speaker 2: And let's face it, these folks if they've gone through the rehab, they don't want to go into incarceration.
Speaker 1: They've been some of them have been there already.
Speaker 2: Yes, although hate we've got nice facilities, nobody really wants to Nobody really wants to be there.
Speaker 1: They don't know.
Speaker 4: And that's why we've got some really good prayerms like we work closely with, like Mental Health Court and Drug Court that can divert people.
Speaker 3: So they don't have to go to jail.
Speaker 4: And that's when we can take those people and we can, but we can help them actually succeed in it because a lot of times people struggle when they don't have transportation, they don't have a job to pay for things like drug tests, and then they struggle to complete it and they don't show up and then they fail and then they go back to jail. And so when we can make sure they get there, we can make sure they're fulfilling all the things they're supposed to do. You know, we're drug testing them as well and doing all that that Now they actually have a structure to help them complete it and they're succeeding and they're all of a sudden graduating from those programs and so it takes some it takes someone on one work and some group work with them. Oftentimes people are coming and they're just they're broken by a lot of the things that they've been through and they need somebody to give them some structure and direction, and so that's that's what we come in. It's just it's a lot of we're going to walk through this with you. And when they get overwhelmed by it, and I'm like, they're telling me, you know, I can't get funding for this.
Speaker 3: I don't have my driver's license. They're telling me I can't get it back.
Speaker 4: And we have people in our office that are you know, they'll they'll talk to Shelley and shell I say, I know how that works.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: We'll call this person in that person and you just have to fill this out and we'll go do it.
Speaker 3: And pretty soon they've got it worked out. And you know, then they're like.
Speaker 4: Oh, they don't know how to work these systems and how to get some of these things fixed.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty well convinced that most people aren't supposed to know how the system works.
Speaker 4: It gets very confusing and you get all these mixed messages and so but we've been dealing with this for a while, and we've dealt with a lot of people, and so our ladies in our office they know how these systems work, and so they can say, oh, you know what, there's funding for that. You know you can get you know, you can get housing money from this organization who has funding. Oh I never knew that, but we know how the system works, and we can help you get that.
Speaker 3: You and help people get a help when.
Speaker 4: They realize they lost their driver's license and they it's just they owe this fine and once they pay that fine, then get their license back.
Speaker 3: Okay, well let's help you figure out how to get that fine paid.
Speaker 4: Then we can these A lot of these things are fixable problems, but people don't have any idea how to do it. And so then when you go in and you help them, and now all of a sudden, they've got that obstacle cleared. Now they can get back on their life, you know, they can get in track.
Speaker 1: They see that glimmer of hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and once that light of hope is lit, Hey, some folks are just unstoppable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you see people changed, where instead of just being defeated and broken that they start to see hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes a huge difference.
Speaker 2: All it needs is one victory, sometimes one small one to get you a little momentum in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then get to work, and then and having support along the way when they know they have people that are they when they're frustrated and they're fed up and they're just stressed out, why isn't this happening any faster? They have people that can come to and talk to now, and they have people that care about them that are gonna listen, They're gonna care and say no, stick with it, we're gonna get there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they just need that to be able to vent.
Speaker 4: Don't give up, don't just blow it off and say run off and you know, throw it all away. You know, in those down moments, they have somebody to talk to and say, no, stick with it. It's going to get there. It just takes a little longer.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: We do a lot of that too, just manage the emotions of the stressful process.
Speaker 2: A lot of power there in the positives, yeah, folk, So let's keep the positives going. We'll see out there on Friday and Saturday to help out in Nemia Community Development and it's their second annual rubbage sale. Boy, I remember when this took off last year. That was a big deal. It was, and this is going to be a bigger deal.
Speaker 3: We had a big crowd last year. It's right on seventy five, so we get a lot of drive by traffic.
Speaker 2: So it's going to be right there at the old Emerald In Hotel, right there on the seventy five, just north of Frank Phillips.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mike, thank you for being here. It'll be a stranger.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. It has been awfume.
Speaker 2: All right, we get to learn a lot. All right, folks, We've got news coming up next.