Speaker 1: Then Rex and I.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, welcome back to a new episode of the Poker Go Podcast. My name is Donnie Peters. You're gonna get a wild time. Sunday July twelfth, twelve, twenty one pm is when I'm recording. You might be able to hear it in my voice. I have been battling a wicked case of strep throat. That's why I did not do the podcast up until today. But we do have a couple of interviews that my guy Remco grabbed when he was down there during Day six of the main event. I do want to play those for you guys to ultimately continue to tell this story. So we're just gonna have to power through this one and talk about in day six. I know you guys are going to be listening to this when Day seven is running, but hopefully we'll get caught up and then I'll be able to resume a normal schedule come the end of day seven. Sixty two players remain from Day six. Those sixty two players are guaranteed one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Tyler Gaston leads the way. Tyler Gaston, Blake Baruss, Shaolu, Mario Boos, hosting Enson the twenty nineteen winner Ramy Hamoud jung Ji Tang, Malcolm trainor the run that this kid is on. I believe he's twenty six or twenty seven years old. Australian kid, of course, came onto the scene a couple of years ago when he won the WSP Mystery Millions for a million dollars and then he just won the recently revived Hauzy Million's main event back in April. I think it was so one that so Malcolm Trainer. This kid's just on fire, sitting in ninth place coming into day seven, the one, the only Todd Brunson. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Todd Brunson is going strong and he is the first of three interviews that we're gonna play today. Remco caught up with Todd Brunson during Day six and here is that interview for you now.
Speaker 4: Todd, how much fun is it to go deep in.
Speaker 5: The Big One? Oh? There's nothing more fun to going deep in the main event.
Speaker 6: As far as your experience, what do you use specifically in the main that gives you an edsuance? Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, I only played a no limit hold of pretty much once a year, so just every time, I don't know, watch young kids what they do and then make adjustments for my game.
Speaker 6: I guess the studying is like a big conversation point among like the upcoming young crowd. What do you take from their playing style? And then how do you see what they do and how does it help your game?
Speaker 4: Perhaps?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, like I just said, you watch what they do and kind of make some adjustments and do a few things a little bit differently.
Speaker 6: And as far as playing mixed games year round, is it a big adjustment to step into this event's deep stack?
Speaker 4: Obviously slow structures.
Speaker 7: Do you have time?
Speaker 4: But does it take some mental adjustments or other specifics?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, this is completely different than mixed games. I mean completely different. So yeah, it's you know, that's why it's fun.
Speaker 6: Ten million dollars at top. We're now getting into thick of things. Do you notice the adrenaline rising. Is this different than a few days ago?
Speaker 5: Well? Yeah, of course it always builds a little bit. But I don't. I just worry about what's happening right now this table, and you know stuff like I don't, I don't worry about tomorrow, not yet.
Speaker 6: Take us back to the first time you played the main event. You remember what year it was and what the circumstances were.
Speaker 5: First time I played the main event, the first time I signed up for the main event, I want to satellite. So back then, we never start at twelve. Sometimes it would start like at three. They like waited for people and stuff. And I was sitting there waiting to play, and I got a tap on the shoulder and Jack Benny would like to speak with you. He said, okay, and he came and said, you know, Todd, you're only nineteen, and he goes, I'd let you play, but I'm under indictment and I just can't fade the heat right now. Said I understand, Jack, no problem. They give me my you know, money back, and then I want a satellite again. The next year and I played this, I signed up again. I got the tap on the shoulder again, and Jack had a smile on his face. I walked up and I pulled out a fake ID and I showed him. I said, I have a fake ID, Jack, and he said he looked at it and goes, well, you're a little too well known. If you win, I don't think they're gonna believe you're Joe Brown, so you can't. I don't think you can. It's a good idea for you to play again, I said, okay.
Speaker 4: And then the following year you did play for the first time.
Speaker 5: I believe I did. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And do you have a memory of what the sort of aura or the excitement.
Speaker 4: Around the main event was back then?
Speaker 7: Because we know all this, would.
Speaker 5: You also know what it used to be like? Well, I mean it was always special, it was special back then. And yeah, along the early years, I got really deep and I was like the chip Ley with twenty people left and I think I finished thirteenth. So that was my best finish football beat that in this one.
Speaker 7: That'd be great.
Speaker 6: Final question, Your dad's legacy in poker, but especially also in the main band is unmatched. I was fortunate enough to be there when you guys both made the final table to produced a couple of years ago. Does his memory ring a little stronger on days like today where you're battling the way your.
Speaker 4: Dad used to and you know, perhaps you know like channel it.
Speaker 7: A little bit.
Speaker 5: I wish I had a good answer, but no, nothing I ever think about.
Speaker 4: But it's great to see he has never lived on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, yeah, the only time we think about it is like the UH used to have a family group chat that's not there anymore that I would update or something.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was todd cool to hear that little story about how he tried to get into the main event when he was nineteen, when he was twenty bold underage, ultimately didn't make it in thanks to Jack Binni. But here he is now and he's going strong. Lucas Jumalan is in. Antonio Galliana. Antonio Galliana is a two time up Visit Pe Bracelet winner out of Spain. I believe he played a wild hand. Think it was the five K six Max five. I don't know. It was like bluff, bluff, bluff. I think it was against Johann Gilbert, but he bluffed with I don't know, some crazy hand. It's just an epic, epic hand anyway, But he's still in. Jamie Shavell in Maxim Shilo is still in as well. Giuseppe Pantaleoi. Pantaleo was the beneficiary of a punt. I'll say it from TJ Reid.
Speaker 7: TJ.
Speaker 2: Reid, I think might have four or five bet with King Queen or Heath four bet and Pantaleo five bet. He called it came Queen High Hall Spades. They got the money in. Toby Lewis, I don't know why I said that, Oh, because I'm looking at Romaine Lewis's next on these chip counts.
Speaker 5: T J.
Speaker 2: Reid had King Queen with the King of Spades, Pantaleo had Aces with the Ace of Spades, and that ultimately busted.
Speaker 1: TJ.
Speaker 7: Reaid.
Speaker 2: I'll get into the bust outs in a minute. Romaine Lewis still in, Ralph Perry still in Han Fang is in there. Brock Wilson we talked about how brock Wilson a few different times during the summer, how it just really hasn't been his summer for as hot as he was for the first part of the year. But here he is trying to make it all go away with one run in the World Series of Poker main event. Michael Aguiano gags he's still in Alan Signier, This guy Alan Sannier. He is playing some wild poke rout there. He is not scared at all to pull the trigger on some big, big bluffs and he has been doing it and it has been working out very well for him. Daniel Savas, Will Gibbons. Will Gibbons is still in the mix. A little bit more tamed was Gibbons on Day six than he was on Day five. We all know his story now. If you missed it, go back an episode or two and listen to the interview with him. Or he was banned from Caesar's properties up until about three or four weeks before this summer, got a lawyer, got back in. He made one final table in the fifteen hundred plo. He made a deep run in the Millimaker, and here he is making a deep run in the WSP main event. Greg Mueller FBT himself is in the mix. Mark Troupp, this guy had a wild start to Day five, came into Day five super early on. He he gets aces versus Ace King on back to back hands, doubled up both times, so a huge start to his Day five. Ultimately has now been able to run that into a Day seven appearance. Sean Deep is still in the mix. Sean Deep, Tina doesn't care brought it up is to be main event. I don't know, I don't know if he's I don't know if he's just bsing us with this whole talk or if he really legitimately doesn't care. Either way, I'll let you guys decide on it. I haven't decided on it, but maybe you guys can decide. Because Remco did speak with him, and he asked him about, you know, being in the main event and not necessarily caring about it. And here's that interview with Sean Deep.
Speaker 6: Now shaw, deeep, how bothered are you by going Deep in the main That's the worst feeling ever.
Speaker 7: Everyone's so excited. I'm so apathetic. I can't wait to bust and go play the fucking three hundred dollar Gladiator. You know, I treat poker a little differently. I think I'm the only one getting too much sleep so far in the main Everyone else is talking about lack of sleep. I sleep better than ever. Yeah, it's, you know, a different mindset way I see poker and spots like this. And you know, I always talk about emotional control and something I'm very good at, and you know, I just don't get excited about anything, and it helps me not get dejected when things are going poorly.
Speaker 6: So what is it about your mindset in this particular event versus the rest of the summer that's so different.
Speaker 7: No, I mean I have the same mindset and this as every other one. Like, I'm happy to bust and go on into the next tournament. That's probably the reason why I bust them so often. And you know my goal is Player of the Year, and so I'm trying to get the most Player of the Year points I can get out of one, even though it's really hard. So that just means at this point surviving and fine tabling, and so that's what all makes sure I do.
Speaker 6: The money equity, of course, grows with each passing day. You have a big stack, you have a lot of experience. How much how much? And when is that going to.
Speaker 7: Be a factor. I doubt if I ever thought it would affect my game, you know, I'd reach out to JMO and sell some action, you know, at ICM or probably ICM premium because this field remaining is very soft right now. So yeah, I'm not really worried, you know. I know, if I bust immediately or if I win, my life ain't gonna change that much. Obviously, winning changes a little bit. My wife will spend a little bit more on the house we're building. My kids will you know, one of my kids ask for a Lamborghini if in the main. You know, they're smart kids, they know what they could get. But no, it'll just you know, probably keep me home even more than I already am. You know, I'm pretty much only there. Actually, I don't think it'll affect my travel schedule if I win, But who knows, maybe sponsorhip will give me enough mine adjustif by leaving a little more.
Speaker 6: Why does the prestige of POY drive you so much? And I've never heard you talk about the prestige of the main.
Speaker 7: I think POY is the hardest thing to win, and it's the thing where skilled determination volume are the most important thing to succeed there. And the main is just so much variance. There's so much table draws. You know, I gotten two flips or it's almost all in. I lose either of those, I'm out. Like, there's not really a way to overcome a ten thousand person field in a reasonable you know, sample size once a year. So for that reason, I've never really treated put on the pedestal that other people put it on, because I know that you know the spot I'm in, it won't come off and come in very often in my career, and it's just nothing based on skill. It just I've had great tables. I've had won the key hands and you know, made some hands on the river and that's just kind of why I'm here instead of other people. But you know, I've definitely stolen my fair share of pots and that's how I have as many chips I do.
Speaker 4: Are you at least having fun?
Speaker 7: Oh, it's like people try so hard in this term and to like play good, to play a particular way, to be like I'm talking of, I'm this like, you know, I've met some cool people. I will say in this event. There's two I can think of that I really enjoyed my interactions with them. But some people are just like so stiff because it's too big of a spot for them. So thankfully, you know, my table yesterday at the Future table was and was very light, you know, emotionally physically. I think they're all doing play well. Financially they all weren't you know, serious poker pro So we had a good time last night at stream. Unfortunately the given show people didn't watch in May hand, So hopefully next year they have multiple streams because I think my table, if it was stream for two hours, would have been more entertaining from a conversation standpoint than a play standpoint.
Speaker 6: Final question, is it a case of a final table or bust taking more risks or are you still locked into play in your game?
Speaker 7: I mean my mindset every tournament. No, you know, obviously, the page the POI jumps are so fucking small this whole tournament until tenth to ninth that's you know, and even then the money is so much that I'm still gonna, you know, play real poker and good poker. So yeah, poys an afterthought ish, But if I bust the main I'm be happy because I get to go play something else, like I you know, it doesn't matter how I bust, I'll be in whatever event registration's open on. So that was deep.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, it's the main event, buddy, and you can win ten million dollars and I think there's nineteen hundred points up top for the Player of the Year race sema as well, just win this tournament and win player of the year, Like that's how you do it, right. Thomas Klak still in. Jacob Thibodeau aka Tibbs played with him a lot around town. Very very solid player, very unassuming like no one would know him or recognize him. He's out of Alaska, but he did move down here to Las Vegas. I've played with him at when I've played with him at Venetian, you know quite a bit. Played with him at the w SB a couple of years ago. Was always extremely tough. Seems like a very good player who puts a lot into his game, and here he is seeing all that work come to fruition in a big way with a deep run here in the main LORI Shashkilatti. I hope I didn't butcher that last name. He's still a ehar Soika. He's a high roller. Is Soika making some waves here? I'm gonna butcher this one for sure. Eva Gorris Eva Goru in the mix, Jason Cornegae, Kayasuke Nagami, Sashin Josie. He played extra reely well on a stream for day six. Even though I am pretty much bedridden for the past day and a half, I've had the stream on NonStop, So I guess that's the silver lining here. You know, when I'm there at Paris and Horseshoe, you know you can't always watch the stream because you're out there on the floor you're trying to get a feel what's happening, talk to people, et cetera. But being at home, you know, I was able to watch the stream pretty much NonStop from start to finish, so it was really really good. Christopher, George Still and Patrick Leonard Pads himself on an absolute rush. Pads went to the England Mexico game down in Mexico City, came back registered late on Day two d and here he is running deep with sixty two players left heading to day seven in the main event. And he is the third and final player that Remco talked to on a Day six. So let's hear from Patrick Leonard.
Speaker 7: Now, is it coming home? It may be coming home.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure why which fell to maybe come home in but uh, I'll take either either of them, to be honest.
Speaker 6: So yeah, So how do you how you do weigh these England winning the World Cup or you winning the main Event.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's much chance of England winning the World Cup again, but I may win the main event again, so I might give my one time to England and just back myself to have a deep run again in the future.
Speaker 5: I guess you've been.
Speaker 6: One of the most consistent performers live and online for such a long time.
Speaker 7: What would a break up performance and the main mean to you? Hm? Interesting?
Speaker 3: Uh, probably not too much, to be honest, I've actually always struggled with celebrating wins. I feel like once I win something that I feel as big at the time, afterwards, I'm empty, you know, I realize kind of like the journey's amazing, like playing now, meeting all these people, it feels great, but the destination isn't always as happy as you think it may be. I'm very, very close friends with espen and I was with him on a rail from this point all the way on, and he had a great time around about now, and of course he enjoyed winning, but he didn't enjoy winning as much as he thought he may do. So being next to him and seeing him like that is trying to make me enjoy the right now. You know, if I win, it's going to be amazing, It's going to be a lot of look involved, and obviously I feel great, I feel proud, But right now I'm just focusing on each hand, getting to know all of the opponents at the tables, and yeah, I genuinely met probably twelve new friends here that I'm going to see in the corridors for the next twenty years. And as corny as it sounds, that feels like more of a wind than money, you know. So yeah, that's why I'm kind of trying to see it right now.
Speaker 6: There. How much of the game that you've been studying, that you've been working off for all these years, can you really apply at this stage in a tournament against this type of field?
Speaker 3: A lot When I think about poker and studying, I spend a lot of hours, but I'm usually a sim will come up, a spot will come up, and I'll usually say, well, what does this actually mean in life? You know, like if they do a slight bit less of this year, which direction do I go in? Also, like how much your hand's worth?
Speaker 7: You know, the solver will.
Speaker 3: Often tell you to play you know, let's say like a queen nine offseuit or a seven opposite be these hands, I'm making very little amount of money, like zero point zero one in ev in terms of big blinds, whereas you might get a spot where you flip a set or you have aces or whatever where you're making you know, like infinite more ev than the solver would do so kind of being conscious about you know, the future game and protecting my stack and just being in that seat for the next hand, in the hand after is better than trying to like maximize an edge and chase that last point one, you know. But yeah, just every spot's just a new puzzle. I'm just trying to solve work it out basically each one.
Speaker 6: Is there anyone in this field right now that knows more poker, has studied more, and is more ready for this moment?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I don't mean this from like an egotistical point of view, like I've devoted a lot of my life to poker. I've sacrificed a lot.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Maybe I know, maybe I know more about how to play Jack nine in the cutoff, but maybe they know more about some stuff which I wish I would know more of. You know, I understand that I've kind of, you know, my life could have went in lots of different directions, and I give a lot to it to poker, But that meant that I've kind of lacked in some other areas too. And play in this tournament, you play with people who have ten thousand dollars for a reason, whether they be a teacher, whether they be you know, working business, whether they own a restaurant, and they will often probe my mind about, oh, like should I have done this or not? And I will often probe their mind like, oh, you know, like how does insurance.
Speaker 7: Work under this or whatever?
Speaker 3: You know, And yeah, I think I'm I think I'm very prepared for this spot, and yeah, I'm confident in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Final question, how is it possible to still have fun when the stakes are this high? There's so much adrenaline and so much fatigue in this big moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you have two directions. You can think about, Okay, we're playing you know, like ten twenty thousand dollars blinds, or you can just think, you know, I have like thirty two big blinds and I'm supposed to do X, Y or Z. You know, I've played a lot of very high stakes torments online where it's gotten to the crungender things and I've kind of crumbled, you know, I've seen it as being too high. I haven't taken the spot, and I don't want to spend today trying to live tomorrow. You know, I don't want to think, Oh, I want to make day seven.
Speaker 7: I'm here right now.
Speaker 3: I need to live now, I need to execute, I need to do what I need to do. And that's not always you know, like playing big because the stakes because I don't want to be scared. Sometimes it is being a little bit scared. Sometimes it is surviving. Sometimes it is preservation, you know. And that's kind of the beautiful thing about poker is that you have to wear risk rewards the future of the now. And yeah, teachers a lot about life, I think too, and it's the beautiful game.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That was Pads always a pleasure to have Pads on the microphone, and he seems like he's just taking it all in, having a blast with it off. You guys follow Pads on social media. You know, he's just really trying to live through this moment and you know, make the best of this run. Edward Sacrist pair Stillan, Brian Larkin, Carlos Chata. You used to play a lot of high Rollers and then I feel like he dipped out of the high Rollers scene for a little while. But Carlo is a very good player. Also, Tolga Karakaya, Archimedes Arenas, Berkeley, Yon, John Lee Wang, Dennis Carlson, Ricardo Cermino, Michael o'connoran and Dylan Smith. I'm gonna get to Dylan Smith, who is one of the best all around poker players in the world, but also a very very good Nolan Holden player. Believe he won a WPT from Seminole not too long ago. Dylan Smith is one of those guys who has really stormed onto the scene in the recent three to five years maybe, and one of the best. Can play all the games and can play them extremely well. Is out of Florida, or at least that's where he resides now. And another player who's always drafted in twenty five K fantasy also also has a bracelet, does Dylan Smith, which I think he won earlier this year. Vladimir Belokov, Harturis straskis a Rosher Vaziri, Ori Elou latches Are Petkov. Matt Lapasse. Matt Lapasse is a name it sticks out to me. I've covered him before or something, but been around a while. Canadian player Henrik Turner, John Weiss, Jeff Weiss. I'm gonna guess no relation, but you never know. Aki hero Konishi, Thomas McDonald, David Kluckman. I should look up Kanishi as we do Oka hero Kunisi because on the broadcast last night, I think Nick Shulman was questioning if if they had seen this guy before and if he had made a deep run in the wsit being main event before I looked it up. I don't see a deep run in the main event from Nick was saying maybe last year. But what he might be thinking of is Kanishi got second place in the WSP Europe Main Event this year in April for one point two million euros or one point three a two million dollars. So Kanishi crushing this year with that run, that second place mentioned in the WSPORT main Event and now here Final sixty two of the WSP Main Event. Thomas McDonald, David Kluckman, Marshall, Diigel, Kanya Zang. She is the lone female remaining, but she is third to last in chips. Caid Lattenbacher Caid's out of I think Michigan a very young kid. I have played with him a bit in some events around town at the win at Venetian, et cetera. He's he's very young. He won a bracelet events I think online on through the Michigan website, either a year or two ago. He's the second sort of stack returning. Then Gregory Brown. Gregory Brown is the short stack remaining. Gregory Brown is he was on a Venetian streamer too that that Rimku and I did coverage on. So yeah, so that's who we got advancing to a day seven, and then just quickly some of the players that we did lose on a Day six. We lost Aaron Barone, dutch Boyd hit the raal, Lauren Klein was bounced as well. There's gonna be some ramifications, I guess from the tank that Lauren Klein was in. I'm still at home, gonna be staying home today, but I'm hearing that they're instituting shot clocks and that used to be made event, which is absolutely bananas to me to be able to do that for day seven. So we'll see what comes of that.
Speaker 6: TJ.
Speaker 2: Reid went out, Ryan Miller went out. I mean, I think I'm pretty safe to say that I think Ryan Miller might have made one of the worst folds in WS to be made of industry, and that's probably gonna be one that's haunting him for quite some time. Free Jeteen also out. Jeremy Hyman to dance Da Villa. We lost him as well. We lost Sewn Winter Shawn Winter got very very short, ultimately busted with ACE six versus tens. We lost Caitlyn Kameski, hit the rail, was that an exisca and uh so Hedwala all busted out on day six. So that's the pot, short and sweet. I gotta go lay it back down before I die anymore. But sixty two players remaining entering at day seven. Hopefully tonight I'll be rested enough that I'll be able to get one of these out on a more normal schedule. So thanks for bearing with me, guys. I'm a bit bummed that I wasn't able to continue the trend of doing one every single day, but hopefully we're back and uh that's it. That's the pot. So my name is Donnie Peters and I'll talk to you guys next time.
Speaker 1: Adn't the change expressed, Okay,