Speaker 1: Welcome to the Word of conspiracy. Step wild say you're a freaks.
Speaker 2: Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, jeretentious do the freak show.
Speaker 3: Freak Hi, and welcome back to another episode of Deplorable Nation. I'm your host, Deplorable Janet, and today I have my best day firm the West Day, returning the lovely, talented, intelligent, and superior Miss Heidi. How are you dolling?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Thank you for the wonderful comments, because apparently, according to my Apple reviews, I'm a stuck up Mormon lady.
Speaker 2: So that doesn't Oh that is a no at all.
Speaker 3: Oh well, we can't help it that we know everything here.
Speaker 2: Just no jep kidding.
Speaker 4: Actually, what we do, and I'm happy to be here to do it again, is we study a lot, and we pick these topics and we go down the rabbit hole because it's fun to learn and I think it's important for our brains to continue.
Speaker 3: I would agree with the So today we're going to be doing a part four of our Sideshow Attractions series, and today is Skin in the Game, and so we're going to be talking about all things weird and wild of the skin that were sideshow circuits attractions. Again, don't get your panties and a wide. Ladies and gentlemen, don't be a pansy because we're not saying anything bad. We're just saying these things happen. Sometimes things are kind of a freak of nature, if you will.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: Curiosity, people's curiosity draws attention to these things, right.
Speaker 4: And there will be photos, So disclaimer warning, whatever you want to say right now, there are pictures of children, medical photos. These are medical photos. This is not exploitation, but it is what it is. This comes from medical journals most of it. So we can't I always say pictures worth a thousand words with this type of stuff.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 4: So in fact, I didn't catch one of them that Janet caught and I wasn't ready, so when we get to that one, I was like, uh.
Speaker 2: Sir, holy shit.
Speaker 3: To put it mildly. And again, curiosity comes from people, right, And and what do we do if we're out in public and we see something that's unusual or something we weren't read it, we haven't seen before. It's not that we're trying to be rude and stare and whatever. We're just like, oh my gosh. Now for me, I'm like, oh, that looks painful or you know whatever, depending on whatever it is. So sometimes and not. We've both been in this business a long time. We've seen some stuff, right, but there's always you I haven't.
Speaker 4: For those of you that don't know, Janet and I are both registered nurses. We've been in the game very long time. Janet, how long have you been in Like we're in prison, nineteen ninety, yes, and I'm ninety nine. So we're right there and we've seen a lot of things. And that's why we do this show because I said to Janet, Hey, this is weird stuff that I was fascinated with in school.
Speaker 2: Can we like go down this weird rabbit hole of medical stuff? Because I mean, I can't talk like this with everybody so right, But like I said, I'll get when I get to it.
Speaker 4: That one I wasn't ready, but I'm pretty sure you might know. But I can pull up these pictures.
Speaker 2: We've got some awesome ones today, let me tell you what.
Speaker 3: And I love stuff like this. I love the weird, the wild and trauma. Trauma is literally my favorite thing. But I will say I'm gonna throw this out there. A lot of these skin things I have seen or heard of before because the teaching facility that I worked for, the doctor that you know I worked underneath, he loved doing skin stuff. And that is literally one of the things I learned when I started out that he would always call me in and go, what do you think this is?
Speaker 2: Oh? You had firsthand? That's cool. Yeah, I put this up. And so as we talk, I know you might be in a different order, but I just slapped him together. So hopefully that works.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 4: I started with albinism, so all right, that'll work. Her hair is badass p s. I am a fan of the big Texas hair.
Speaker 3: Hey, that was eighties duce for me, right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Could have done some crazy hair because you've got a lot of hair.
Speaker 3: I do have a lot of hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome. So this gale has a lot of hair. Can you see this photo?
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, I see it. And so there's a lady kind of dressed like Victorian esque, right, and she has this wild hair, a lot of hair, yes, and of course, white eyebrows, white hair, the whole nine yards. And so I have been around of a lot of people that have the same condition. Right, So this is from a lack of melanin and the skin, and so it's kind of like, melanin is what helps you to make color, whether it be your hair, your eyebrows, your eyelashes, whatever. These people are lacking. So everything that you're going to see on them is white, and generally speaking, their skin is uber uber white too.
Speaker 4: I think that the Mormons would love these people because they like white and delightsome.
Speaker 2: So that's a quote. But my so, my mom's husband, which is not my dad, my stepdad, he actually has two nieces that are full albinism with the pink eyes and everything, and actually he's Latino, which is really was really weird for them. They were like, whoa, what happened here? But it happens. It happens in all races, and I have a bunch of pictures for that as well. So well.
Speaker 3: And the terrible thing is, and people are probably gonna get squeally about this one, but because of people that have the albinism, Circus side shows capitalized on this in a big way because they would put them next to African American performers so they could contrast it as black and white. And please don't get mad for me, saying this, I'm quoting what the what the side show said. They were white negros. Yes, that is what they billed them as in the sideshow, So that was not me. I did not make that up on my own. That's what was said.
Speaker 2: So yes, and this is kind of an example of a darker skinned person. I'm not going to say the.
Speaker 4: One word, but you know y'all already heard it, and this isn't nowadays. I don't know if he puts color in his beard and stuff, but he is albino, and he is African American and so kind of fascinating.
Speaker 2: The worst one I saw.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you saw this one for the African American people, these twins, this story, now you got some explaining to do, Barnum explaining, because let me tell you, these kids were stolen, straight stolen.
Speaker 2: Like the mother did not know where these kids went.
Speaker 4: I think they were in a cafe or something, and the circus took them at like age six or something.
Speaker 2: And I was like, uh, that's something wild. Okay, what is that thing there?
Speaker 3: That kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it? Stealing things that don't belong to you so that you can make money.
Speaker 2: Well, we have been talking about that.
Speaker 4: In this case, they were literally stolen from their Virginia home and then they were told their mother was dead, and so this was like horrible. I can't And their last name is Muse. They called them the Muse twins, but I don't think they actually were twins. I think they were just really close in age. But they were told their mom died and that they had to live with them now. So because nobody else was there, they didn't have a dad and so yeah, the dad was philandering around.
Speaker 2: I kind of wonder if.
Speaker 3: The dad seldom. Yeah, so that's the first thing that popped into my head. So that's Echo and Echo Echo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't think that's their real names. And it just was really a weird story. And guess what.
Speaker 4: They end up going back to the town where they were stolen from eventually as adults in their twenties, and like I said, they thought their mother was dead, and the mother seen them and she fought to get those guys back even.
Speaker 2: Though they were adults. Like the circus tried to own them and they had a happy reunion, but it took a long time.
Speaker 3: So flooding weaknessesness, It was very yeah, that is like super super sad that that that happened. But does that shock me with the culture and I meant that we live in today where there's a lot of missing children and for a lot of different purposes for making them.
Speaker 4: Yes, I agree on that, and definitely you know, we see that in all all phases of life.
Speaker 3: Well and kind of like we talked about and the sideshow one with the seafarer stuff is that there is a niche fetish community for literally everything on the planet. So with all the child exploitation and stuff that's out there in rampant right now, if they can find people to feed those fetishes, so that's better for them, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: This is kind of how my stepdad's nieces look. They've got the more pink eyes and a lot of times when that is an occurrence, they are blind, which is and they are they have permanent nice stagmus. And for people that don't know, that's just like when your eyes go really fast. And when I was young, it kind of scared me like, I.
Speaker 3: Well, oh my gosh, again staring right with curiosity because you've never seen it before and you're like, what the heck, what is that? Like, why is that happening? Why are their eyes doing Latin?
Speaker 4: I was like, hello, like what is going because I wasn't old enough to understand, right, Like, I was like, can that happen? They're white, and he was like, yeah, it's a thing. So random, really, I mean, they were super nice. They've lived full lives, they've had children, everything.
Speaker 3: So they the people that that I knew that had this, Like they didn't have the red eyes, but their eyes were like really really pale, really pale, like a very washed out like blue color.
Speaker 2: And I tried to get different all different ethnicities so we could see, you know, all the different people that have it, because it happens in everything.
Speaker 3: So I don't know where we're looking Asian mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Do you know how often it happens. I think it's fairly common.
Speaker 3: It's I think, if I'm not mistaken. One of the places that I read said that this is more common in Africa. Well, okay, yep, Sub Saharan Africa is the most common region for currencies.
Speaker 2: Wow. And so.
Speaker 3: Being that there's like a large percentage in that particular region, they marketed them as the human ghosts as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, these are some more Barnum twins. I hope you didn't steal them.
Speaker 3: As well, but well that would not surprise me. But you know, because a lot of the circus things that we've already done, like they were finding kids at like four and six years old and then they spend their entire life in the circus, in the circus.
Speaker 4: And we'll do one on circuses as well, you guys, probably midpoint we'll deep dive into that because it is a dark, dark story, and let alone, the origin of circuses is.
Speaker 2: Very occultish, so.
Speaker 4: Very strange, very strange, indeed. But these are the ones I pulled. I definitely found, you know, this would be probably one of the least ones I would say.
Speaker 2: I know that sounds harsh, but I mean it is what it is, like. I think this is more.
Speaker 4: Livable the blindness one isn't isn't as bad. Yes, they can there are some myths about albinism. Yes, they can dye their hair. Yes, it does work. It falls out fast right, just like gray hair. If you if you've ever dye of gray hair or light it usually absorbs super quick in but not with this type. They also, you know, can dye their eyebrows like they can look relatively quote unquote normal if they want to.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not pushing that. I think they're beautiful the way they are. But there.
Speaker 3: Though, the ones with the with the red eyes are the most off putting to me because of that. And please don't get upset about this by any means, but they remind me of those white lab mice.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was gonna say. Oh my gosh, and.
Speaker 4: For a reason, right, I just think that it's something that you think of when you see this, because it isn't. It is the only other species I know of, at least that is relatively common to have white haired, peak eyes, right, And so whatever that is.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. It's just it is. It is what it is. Yeah, So, but definitely the least offensive.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know why weird to me? Okay, The actual medical name for this is oculo cutaneous albinism. So oculo is the eye, right, and so cutaneous is the skin. So it automatically says in the actual medical title that it's an eye in skin condition.
Speaker 1: Mm.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes complete sense.
Speaker 3: That's why the coloring in their eyes is different because the melonin is also required to give us pigmentation in our eye color.
Speaker 2: So you know, me, I like white skin or dark skin, one way or the other.
Speaker 4: And so I mean, I could see he ended up with somebody if they had a little red tint to it, if I wasn't married.
Speaker 2: Just saying the redheaded one, he was pretty cute. I'm just saying, hey.
Speaker 3: Look at me with those beady little eyes.
Speaker 2: Mister. Yeah, I'm like, I'm just saying, but good thing I'm taking up. You know, my husband's right white albino.
Speaker 3: He is not, No, he's not.
Speaker 4: He likes to make jokes about that. He's like whatever, But the white eyebrows are kind of cool. My husband has white eyebrows. My daughter keeps saying, when are my eyebrows going to come in? And I'm like, I'm sorry. You're a child of a never dirty blonde and a redhead. Yeah she's eleven.
Speaker 2: We're still way and I'm gonna teach you how to draw on. That was the one thing Sam Tripoli said to me. I don't know if you watched it, that was really funny. The show opens up with him saying, I love your eyebrows, and I was like, weird cool like, and he's like, they're dark with the blonde hair.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, when you are blondish, not that my hair is this blonde, but it is naturally dirty blonde that you don't have a lot of eyebrows, so you learn to get good at the eyebrows and you never why.
Speaker 3: It's funny. It's like when I was growing up, mine was like dirty blonde. I call it dishwater blonde.
Speaker 2: Dishwater blonde.
Speaker 3: And like, my hair has changed color so many times over the year because I was when I was born, it was jet black. Oh really, and then it turned to the dirty dishwater blonde thing, and now it's brown and this is like God's thing, and so like, even my eyebrows and stuff have changed color. And I'm like, I don't know what's going on with me, but obviously I'm a freaking nature.
Speaker 2: Hey, I take it. I like your hair color. I think it looks like auburn. I think it's pretty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got it's got a little bit of red and a little bit of blonde in it, and of course I like it, you know, I like it. Well, keep my gray.
Speaker 2: We're not young ends.
Speaker 4: I just did have another birthday. Next year, I'm going to really celebrate because i'll be fifty. But yeah, when I see you and I'm okay, I'm okay.
Speaker 3: This year, I'm going to celebrate with that Denny's Senior Citizen discount that I get nowadays. So there you go.
Speaker 4: You don't look it, so it's cheating. Yeah, it's cheating. Don't be like, show me your license, lady. So the next one I have on the roster is very scary and sad. But this is the vampire syndrome one. Uh, and I can't remember the real name for it. I can look, well moon children vampires are moon children they were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta find it because there's so many different ones here. It is it is zero derma pigmentosum.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes. And this one is sad.
Speaker 4: They cannot go outside in the sun or they like burn to death. Like this is burns from like barely any sunlight.
Speaker 3: Right, And this this girl that we're looking at not only has like severe burns and things on her face, but also, uh, the sclera, the white of the eyes is also burnt.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's it's actually they get these freckles after they go out in the sun. Like for no amount of time whatsoever, and they scar them like the burning and the scar it's it's bad because we're going to see this next picture, see how her arms and stuff are. She she knows now, so she only goes out at nighttime at this point. This is really prevalent in India, which is weird. Yeah, and so she knows. And they call it the children of India at Night or something like that.
Speaker 3: And so well, and this one is a DNA repair disorder. It says it's caused by mutations and nucleotide excision repair genes and so the skin cannot heal or repair itself and so it causes this, uh, like scarring happened.
Speaker 2: That is like keloid scars.
Speaker 4: They're kind of This one I think shows it the best that these are like keelois because which if if you guys don't know, cheloids are just like bumpy scars, any scar that's raised to a certain level. And so she has them kind of everywhere from I would assume, not knowing, you know, as a kid.
Speaker 2: I think this is her as well. I think this is her.
Speaker 3: Later, so it says with this particular condition that not only is the immediate burning an issue, but it is also closely associated with major neurological complications, which would make sense, especially if it is frying the white of your eye because to your cranial nerves and stuff, and you have a lot of nerves controlling your facial movements and all of that stuff. And so I can imagine like that all the neurological problems that could take place because of this.
Speaker 4: And they have a sixty percent higher skin cancer of course, you know occurrence, which makes sense. I mean, but the eyes even seem like they they have that glossed over yeah, cataract yep.
Speaker 3: So if you ever see people like this, I've actually seen one person with this during my tenure at the Teaching hospital, and it's very interesting because they literally have to either never go out in the sun, never go out during the daytime, or they have to completely cover from hedge toe so that there's no exposed skin. So if you ever see anybody that's wearing like long sleep shirt, long pants, gloves, hat that get the gators, the face gators, net gators, that's probably somebody that has this condition.
Speaker 4: Wow, And it just looks I mean, if you didn't know, like all of this scarring and stuff would occur super early, you know, and then I mean obviously after you know, you wouldn't go. It does cause rickets too because they don't have vitamin D ever from the sun.
Speaker 2: Oh, they get all these problems that would be terrible.
Speaker 4: She said, she has often broken her bones and her dad was carrying her down the stairs in the article I was reading about it because she had again broken one of her bones, which and.
Speaker 3: I could say that because if you can't absorb the vitamin D through your skin, then you can't absorb vitamin C and the other vitamins that are necessary for that either.
Speaker 4: So yes, and this one I wanted to make sure and include this is a vitaligo, and vitel igo can happen also with any color of person. This girl looks maybe somewhat Asian but dye her hair, or possibly just Caucasian, but it does happen to white people.
Speaker 2: Also. I think this has kind of been labeled as like a black person thing, and it's not, you know.
Speaker 3: It's it's litteral anybody in the world, which most I will say most of the patients that we saw and traded for this were African American. I never saw a case of an Indian one in our office, but we did have one one Caucasian person.
Speaker 4: This one is a Caucasian little boy and you can tell naturally he's quite tan, you know, but the white in between is very like pronounced, it's very white like extreme, and I mean it's pretty disfiguring. Although people I think this is more out there right now a days, like my daughter has a Barbie.
Speaker 2: With this so because she has some issues with Cafe l A spots, which we'll get to here soon. But this one was, uh, yeah, she was one of the famous famous girls. Think they called her Leopard Girl or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's one of the pictures that I actually have on the thumbnail for the episode. So for people that don't know, vetta laigo is a loss of pigment in the skin causing severe white patches. And so yes, even if you're white, you can get the white patches because the melanin and stuff in your skin is absent in those areas. And they think they're pretty sure that this is an autoimmune disease that causes the destruction of the melanocytes and so it's autoimmune.
Speaker 2: They can I know, they've been treating it differently as of recently too. I think they're giving them different rejection me.
Speaker 3: Oops, yeah, I just said a oh you're good a brand name. Sorry about that.
Speaker 2: Oh, we've done it before, so and I've heard it.
Speaker 4: It's like giving people back their color, like returning their color, which is wild to supposedly.
Speaker 3: But here's my thing with the autoimmune diseases. There's always some kind of underlying cause that's causing the complication or the problem to exist in the first place. So a one size fits all treatment for people is not going to help everybody obviously, because there's something different and every person that is causing that to happen. Yeah, So how effective are those meds.
Speaker 2: Going to be? You don't know, We don't know and at what cost? Right? This is her as she's a younger person. I think so a lot of.
Speaker 3: Times when when the circus build these people, they it be Leopard men, spotted boys, Leopard girl, stuff like that, or there was something else. It was some crazy off the wall name and I'm like, what, like, where would you even call them that? Call it that? But okay, whatever, that's Yeah, that's sad.
Speaker 2: This one.
Speaker 4: Also on this next one, it's a similar and I wanted to put it next to it because it's also leopard like under the leopard diagnosis, it's more of a Noonan's syndrome and it's it's not.
Speaker 2: The same thing.
Speaker 4: But they are very spotted as well, and they're pointing the arrow because that's a melanoma.
Speaker 3: And so I was gonna say, this is hold on, you're good because we have had this as well. Let me find it because there are so many.
Speaker 2: There is a lot on skin.
Speaker 4: I was able to really find a lot of cool slides like on these because I mean, there's no way we could explain this to you guys perfectly without showing you.
Speaker 2: So they're all similar but different.
Speaker 3: This has something to do with moles. Oh, I have this my notes. I just have to find it because I have. I have like twelve pages of notes.
Speaker 2: So next time I got to get Janet's numbers and do them in order so I don't mess her up. Let's see spotted syndrome. I'll look as well so that we can let's see it is on.
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: I think they literally call it leopards And there.
Speaker 3: Is linear epidermal nevus syndrome that shows up as wart like often pigmented skin lesion or lesions that follow the lines of embryonic cell development and commously dismissed as birthmarks, especially if it's just a smaller patch than this one is. But there's also another one that.
Speaker 2: Is Newnan's syndrome. Is one of them that this particular man's photo says, this is Newnan syndrome, but they're pointing out the the melanoma there in that photo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what the one that I just read said that they are at a greater risk for melanoma. There's actually two congenital melanocidic nevus or giant mole syndrome, which that guy had very large moles on there.
Speaker 2: This one too, I think is what you're might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it says with the congingital melanocidic nevus, it says large dark, often hairy patches. So holy moly maha. I always think of that Larry the Cable Eyes where I heard that from his girlfriend, hollly Moly. So this says that large, dark, often hairy patches can cover up to eighty percent of the body. It's caused by mutations during fetal development, with an extremely high risk of melanoma.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow.
Speaker 4: And these can often be mistaken for the same thing. But these are Cafe o'lay spot and this one I do know a little bit about. This is often with NF one or you know, there's two types. There's n F two and NF one, but NF one should have And I was gonna put this in here, but if you think of the freckles that guy had all over on that last syndrome, underneath their armpits or their folds, like in your elbows, or your knees and your knee pits right like your thigh whatever, anywhere where skin rubs, they get that really dark freckling like the other guy had, but just in those areas with these spots, because there's criteria that you have to meet.
Speaker 2: My daughter was diagnosed with NF one.
Speaker 4: She has about ten or twelve of these spots, just like this kid, and she had them before she was three months and they said, oh, well, she just has enough one and the more I research, I don't think so, because she doesn't have the freckling of the armpits. And also you're supposed to have lish nodules your eyes, which they try and look for every single year for her. But she's never had them, and then it can go very badly, which we're gonna get into on the next little segment here.
Speaker 2: It's a situation you guys like the goodies to come brace yourself.
Speaker 4: This is also considered only the minor, like it is severe, but it is, but it isn't, because we're gonna show you it can get way worse. You'll see these people and sometimes it will look like the moles. That's why I brought it up now, because it can be misdiagnosed for a little while, but these gross cannot be removed really, right, they get worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And this is what we're looking at is neurofibromatosis, and it's tumor gleros tumor gross along the nerves in the skin, and so it creates large clumpy nodules or clusters. A lot of times they'll they'll hang in particular areas and so they hang like grapes. The thing about neurofibromatosis is that because they follow the nerve paths, capillaries also follow the nerve paths, which is your blood supply, which is what continues to feed them all the time. And if they do like lasering, Like lasering is the only way to remove these, but when they laser them, they will come back because it's fed along that same capillary nerve pathway.
Speaker 4: So but I think I would still opt. When you said hang like grapes, I wanted to bring this photo out even though this would considered NFT because it's so severe. But I mean at the point that it starts to affect you in your facial area, and we're going to talk about one of the most famous here in a minute.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just sad. I just think that, like I would opt regardless, you know, I don't know. It just seems like it would impede your life so bad.
Speaker 3: There are some people that I've seen that have this that it's not terrible, it's just in like certain areas or certain places. But I've also seen patients that are literally covered from head to toe. It's on their eyelids, it's literally everywhere, and so sad.
Speaker 4: And usually if you're going to see NF one become severe, it will be around puberty. Not always a lot of times people just have the cafe olet spots and that's it. But now, like I said, they're changing criteria and there's saying no, that's it's not the same thing because it.
Speaker 2: Spot a lady apparently my daughter.
Speaker 4: We've just told her that's where angels kissed her and you know, because they loved her so much.
Speaker 2: Because you've got to deal with it.
Speaker 4: Like they're they're all I mean, they're visible, you know, not on her face, like if she's in a bathing suit or something. Yeah, they're they're they're flat, they're like the other pictures. But when it advances into this NF two, it doesn't have These people aren't born like this. This is the hardest part I think of this disease is it goes from you know, your normal kid and then by like two years old, if it's going to advance into this NF too, like the elephant man, they said around two years old, it started affecting his lips first, and so started having gross on his lips and then you know, everything started going more and more and more. And Okay, I have to say this part, and this is so sad. He's normal in one area of his body and that's his dick. Okay, Like I'm trying not to be crassyer people, but I'm just saying his squeaky stick. His Twinkie stick is fine, And I'm like, oh my gosh, is that like a curse to have your whole body is super cuckoo crazy? And then the one thing, I mean, I'm glad it works for his urine gentro urinary system.
Speaker 2: But like he's ever going to be okay.
Speaker 3: So looking at this picture like it's him, uh from a side view, and you can see like these neurofibromatosis tumors are literally hanging like a cluster. It looks like a giant brain sagging off of his butt. And because these run around.
Speaker 2: It's like the cow water.
Speaker 3: It's because these run around neural pathway. I can't imagine the pain that he would have if he even tried to sit down.
Speaker 2: Well, they said, the only way. I don't know. Are you going to go into his backstory at all? Or shall shall?
Speaker 3: I yeah you can.
Speaker 4: It's sad, So I mean people probably may have seen his movie. But the sad part is is his mom treated him very well and loved him. Like I said, he was born normal and so this didn't happen until later about eighteen months is when things started getting weird. And then his mom dies, like the worst thing ever, because his dad was not very nice. And then he gets remarried and has all these other kids and they're all fine, like totally fine, and so he feels completely like crap, you know, and sees that they're all more handsome and normal. He can't communicate because since it started messing with his oral area, like he couldn't talk at all, and like he could mumble, but nobody understood him ever, and it was very sad. But they said his emotional I mean, obviously it was intact, like his brain was intact.
Speaker 2: He wasn't dumb.
Speaker 4: But these people treated him so badly because, like Janet said, he's in a ton of pain. These are extra this isn't extremely painful disease, and back then they I don't even know what they would do, but they didn't do anything for him, and they sent him to work, and since he couldn't work, like I guess other people, his dad would beat him and so he did run away. And he was one of the people that I feel the circus saved because while he was a sideshow piece in the circus, it was literally the only thing he could do without causing great pain because otherwise he was working in these workhouses and.
Speaker 2: All this sad stuff. But then they stole his money and abandoned.
Speaker 4: And luckily the doctor that took care of him was very kind to him because when he came back and he didn't have any money or anything, I guess he was it was during a time when they were like no.
Speaker 2: More freak shows. That's weird.
Speaker 4: Well, it left him without a way to do anything, and so even if he stood on the corner, he had nowhere to go.
Speaker 2: He was homeless. At this point. He was like making a ruckus.
Speaker 4: So they took him to the hospital and the doctor like kind of saved him, but he literally asphyxiated himself.
Speaker 2: That's how he died.
Speaker 4: Because he couldn't even sleep laying down because these were so bad. He slept sitting and he would take his legs they said, I'm assuming they mean like pelvis, but area I don't know, because legs didn't look so bad, but regardless, I don't know, And he would sleep on the folds of his skin, sitting up, and I guess he just slipped and like is he's suffocated in his own skin.
Speaker 3: Which is really really uh disturbing if you think about that, because if you if you see pictures of this and who we're talking about, uh was Joseph Merrick a k A. You know, the elephant Man. So these have I mean he has his left arm is normal or looks kind of normal because of these overgrowths and stuff. And with a lot of these people, especially with this and with proteus syndrome and stuff, they have multiple different conditions at once.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: There is a couple people that we talked about in previous episodes that have more than one condition. And that's what it looks like with him because his hand, his right hand kind of looks like a lobster cloish type like we talked about on episode one. And his chest is very distorted in this picture, and so you can see like the left breast and nipple the right one is gone because of this hanging, narrow fried brow mirtosis.
Speaker 2: So sad. He looks like he has quite a bad scoliosis too. I think if I read right, they have that, Like that's kind of an adjunct to the Elephant Man. But it's just sad.
Speaker 4: He's not the only one that had it. This isn't actually the elephant Man. His mouth was so distorted that he couldn't even like this guy is another person that was famous that played the Elephant Man, and I can't remember his name, but it was you if you can see here, like his mouth has got a lot of problems, and the other guy it didn't seem quite as severe, even though I mean it would be.
Speaker 3: It would be really difficult, especially with the with the severe facial narrow fibromintosis tumors, like because you have a lot of nerves in your mouth, right and so following those pathways and whatever, it would be very difficult to eat, to swallow any of that stuff because nerves run literally all through your body.
Speaker 4: Well, And I liked this photo because somebody recolorized it, and I think it adds a little bit more humanity to how he looked. I I did wonder one thing, and maybe that's because I have a dark mind. If somebody killed him in the hospital, because asphyxia is weird, like they did say his neck was like contorted as well, And I'm like, I just I get it, Like I don't think anybody should do that, but it might have been a humanity thing. He may have asked them to kill him, is what I'm saying, because he was really depressed. And I will say this for the story that I read. The only memories he had of women were from books he could read. He was smart from his mother's very minuscule memories. And the doctor paid a woman who was a widow to come in and just talk to him and visit with him, and he bawled his head off because people had shamed him and treated him so terribly. This case is one where I have to say, it's actually sad he couldn't be in a freak show because when he was, he had community and money and he was able to have a life, whereas when he couldn't, he was homeless and nobody cared.
Speaker 2: And people say, oh, that's so sad, but like nobody's taking care of these people.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's so sad, but like nobody cared, so, you know, Thank heavens, he had a doctor that did put him in the attic of the hospital to live until he died.
Speaker 3: And I think that's kind of par for the course with a lot of these like side performers or whatnot, that their life or family, I guess you could say, was while they were performing, you know, being whether it was exploitative or not. Is beside the point because when they were done with that, then they were done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like who's going to take care of them?
Speaker 4: And that's where I find it really sad, because I'm like, Okay, everybody's all gung ho for like let's you know, not do that, but then what are you doing to them? So at least there, you know, he even was taking he was fed, like he literally didn't have people to feed and help him like that. That was a major level. And to Janet's point, those severe tumors, they smelled, they were infected, they the skin never coming up like I'm sure they didn't know the things we know now and hygiene and all the things.
Speaker 2: So I'm grateful that his doctor was a good, good enough guy to you know, step in.
Speaker 3: And to that point, it would be very hard to even wash around a lot of those areas, crevice creases, whatever, and it would be really difficult, I would think, to sit infection in a bathtub, And so you're relying on someone to sponge bathe, you.
Speaker 5: Probably not going to be the cleanest, no, And they didn't know the things or have the things that we of course have today, like just simple basic things like nice statin or powders or whatever.
Speaker 2: But this one is on the borderline of the two.
Speaker 4: And that's why I wanted to put this one in because as severe as it is, it is not elephant man severe. So I think they still kind of diagnose this as a severe enough one, which is so sad. I mean, because he doesn't have the facial you know, the face stuff going on, like where it's the.
Speaker 2: Big, huge tumors.
Speaker 4: Right, it's not the drooping but if you notice, like a lot of times it will go down the spinal cord and different things or be over like organs, and.
Speaker 2: They're so hard. These are not like little squishy things. These these hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're solid.
Speaker 4: So you know, this one I always found just so horribly sad. I mean, if you can imagine when we got the diagnosis, we completely lost our minds. But at this point, like I said, I think a they've misdiagnosed.
Speaker 2: It, even if not be she was lucky so just has the little birthmarks and that's all we've had to deal with.
Speaker 4: But it was terrifying. It's terrifying for a good seven years, like you just are waiting for things to pop up. And yeah, it was scary and she also had a severe heart issue with that.
Speaker 2: And she was criteria for surgery.
Speaker 4: Hers was on the pulmonary side, and the atrium is much more intensive and usually has to be fixed. And so she had a pulmonary valve defect that was, like I said, criteria to fix. But they waited because they said, sometimes these people are short of stature. That's one of the things with n F one is usually they're shorter.
Speaker 2: And he said, it might, it might catch up, and we might she'll always have it, but it might get better, right, a little better. Well, when she was about eight, we went in and he said, you don't even have to come back yearly anymore. It closed and we don't know how it's gone. So I know how miracles, yes, ma'am, Yes, God, God definitely works, and so we definitely have done much praying for her.
Speaker 4: And her name is Faith and so you know, pretty special kid all the way around for sure. And so and for these people, you know a lot of times also the bad like the bad masses come later, so.
Speaker 2: They usually are able to get married and like all that.
Speaker 4: Before it gets severe, like they might have one or two right, like a big like a couple of big ones. Like I've seen most of the time, like right here, all these people are like right here, it's really knows. Yeah, when they're younger, it seems like, you know, just a few spots. And I do have a lady that I work with as well that has this, not to this level, but it's like maybe a medium case. And she said they got really bad with her pregnancies and then they didn't go away. But she's probably about a little less than this level. But she did say, you know, I didn't even know I got married. I just thought I had some moles, you know. So they are flush colored, not usually dark or anything.
Speaker 3: Well, and the picture that we're looking at right now is an Endian lady. And you know when I said earlier, they hang like clusters and a lot of times in a lot out of places. Excuse me for saying this, but I'm amongst I'm amongst friends right now. She has an area.
Speaker 2: She has a ball sack, Yeah she does.
Speaker 3: She literally has balls hanging from her neck.
Speaker 4: It almost looks like a lung to look at it, like, but whatever, And I can't imagine this one because they can't take them off like that.
Speaker 3: That is, yeah, that one, especially that one and that's probably why it's darker because that has such a capillary flow, because that's really your thyroid.
Speaker 4: So you would think that they would get to a point where they could do something, you know, But I mean, I guess we're not there yet.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Okay, Janet, this is the one that you didn't prepare me for, and I have to we're already talking about ball sacks.
Speaker 2: Guys. Prepare yourself, well, prepare for the other part. This one, Janet, I didn't even know. I didn't even know this could happen. What the hell? I mean, I'm sure he's horny. How do you let this get so big? What is going on with these people with horns?
Speaker 3: I know, and I we had we have had a lot of a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Do this or have this.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing that's like a craze now, is having implants done to mimic these. So this, ladies and gentlemen, is a cutaneous horn. Cutaneous horns are a keratin build up under your skin, also closely linked to people that have actinic caratosis, which is his skin condition warts or squamous carcinomas. But they make very hard cone like gross come out of your skin, and so they do look like horns. That's why they can hurt a little hard. And there are people It's almost like if you look at it on a person, it looks like little tusks. You're saying, like a wild boar or something. Yes, and they do discolor and change very looks.
Speaker 2: Like a hoof. Yes, it looks like the texture of a hoof.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know this was a real thing.
Speaker 4: And first of all, look when they're mentioning HPV, you go fuck around and find out.
Speaker 2: Look, don't be sticking your head anywhere. All these people got them on their heads. I don't know, But why would you take it off when it's little? These are treatable well, And that.
Speaker 3: Is the thing. And the picture that you showed. Maybe theyse were in areas where they couldn't we we removed them. But I never saw anybody that had any to this extent. They were always smaller, but we removed a lot of those.
Speaker 2: Was disgusting. This looks like of a.
Speaker 3: JJ with the horn with the curly dookie stick.
Speaker 2: Oh girls, you guys, yeah, oh my gosh. But at this level. Okay, dude, what are you doing? Go in?
Speaker 3: Why and see like this guy's, it doesn't come straight out like a like a pyramid or a horn like his, almost as ripples in it. And I've seen some of those too. Now I will say that removing them on the head or the face, that's that was a creepy picture.
Speaker 2: We'll get there.
Speaker 3: But the head and the face are uber vascular again because of all the nerves. And so if you're going to remove something like hers, because it's so large and it's literally almost the entire top of her head, they would need to do that in a hospital because of the blood loss that would couse in that.
Speaker 2: She could shave this down and make this a bad ass bun like, get you some hair extensions, you can shave it, shape it, you know, if she can't get it off, you know, she's one hundred and seven, this lady. And so but this one my husband's.
Speaker 4: My husband said, and I said yes, and he goes, you know, somebody probably tried that, and I said, and they probably got words all up in that thing, because.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's funny because they called them horned man, devil man, or unicorn man in the side shows. And so this guy literally has one sticking out the top of his head like a unic soho would the possibility of seeing something like this in the er where somebody did try that and then they injured their internal parts from it?
Speaker 2: Yes, well the HPV from it alone, Like if that is caused from HPV, because it can be, and then you do that with a warm, wet climate, you're gonna get HPV. I don't know if you guys have ever seen. We should do a whole series on STDs next too.
Speaker 4: Oh, it would be fabulous because I do this. I know that one well because when my kids are like ten, I go, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, this could happen to your vagina because I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, I Am not going to fuck around and let my kids just go out there willy nilly throwing the box to anybody or throwing the other thing like I showed my kids.
Speaker 3: Throwing a twenty down the hallway.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, We're not doing that in my house. If you do, you can, but you know that weird shit happens. And you know what, a lot of my kids have made it to eighteen without, you know, so just saying something.
Speaker 3: We always had those conversations too, and a lot of people were like, oh, you shouldn't talk about things like that, Oh it's too young, And I'm like, no, no, no. Being the profession that I am, we literally would see children as young as nine that were sexually active.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'm not whoa, this is it. This is life, this is what a sex is a grown up thing.
Speaker 4: And if you're going to do a grown up thing, then you need to know the consequences.
Speaker 2: And it isn't just pregnancy.
Speaker 4: And I used to say, you know, pregnancy is nine months and eighteen years, you know, But herpes is the gift that keeps on giving forever.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and you got herpes, ladies and gentlemen also tends to hang in clusters like grapes.
Speaker 4: Just so you know, we'll we'll get you guys all caught up on the nastiest of nasty talk about a graphic image show we'll have to put on.
Speaker 3: We're gonna scare people.
Speaker 4: Let me let us know in the comments, do me a favor and let me janet no, if you guys are up for that, or if that's too far, if we're going too far in our medical minds because we're too sensitized.
Speaker 3: I know I was gonna say, plus both of us are like into like creepy stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this one had to be the most disturbing for me personally. Uh oh, and the next one.
Speaker 4: I forgot about. I remember this picture from from way back. This is the skin and the alligator skin babies and stuff. But I remember this picture, this specific photo from nursing school, and I because I remember thinking this is not real.
Speaker 2: That's it, this can't happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one is very strange and very creepy. Hold on a minute.
Speaker 4: When they're born, they look like this, and then it can go a lot. Well not all of them, I mean well.
Speaker 3: For people that are just listing and not watching. The baby is white as can be and then has red the lips and eyes, red lips, red eyes, and red parts kind of like design all over the body.
Speaker 4: I think it's best described as an an s like what the BDSM mask, where the leather is okay, that's.
Speaker 2: All why, and then the eyeballs and the mouth comes through. It's terrifying. I remember looking this up and thinking that is not real.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna say, there's another condition that's almost exactly like this. I gotta find it, because some of these there's just so like some of these I've never I haven't seen like in person.
Speaker 2: And I have never seen this.
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, I've seen Stevens Johnson syndrome go this badly. I will say that that is not a genetic condition. I actually had that happen to me, which is terrifying. I've never been allergic to antibiotics. But after my whole pickline blah blah blah boloney osteomyelitis in my spine, I developed an allergy and I did get it, and I did an EpiPen and all the things, and it stopped.
Speaker 2: Think heavens, because your skin will pill off just like this. And so yeah, but that's not the case.
Speaker 3: I wish people, Uh, for people who are just listing, you really need to go. You gotta check out the video just to watch like the pictures because trying to describe them, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's impossible. It's definitely a picture's worth a thousand words on this one. And it's sad because he's a real people and and we know that this is him grown up, the same kid, and so he was able to live, which a lot of them don't.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, uh, there's also you know where it gets to be like this. This is before the shedding, right, this is the alligator skin, our alligator boys and girls. And then when that skin sheds off much like a snake, reptilian, whatever, then they're left with that bear skin. And he was born without skin, which is why it looks so crazy.
Speaker 3: So this must be the ichtheosis then, so it's thick, dry, scaly skinned, resembling fish scales could also be different. There's multiple different variations of this, and so they have vulgaris harlequin, and several other things. And so either.
Speaker 2: Harlequin the baby or fish scales. The harlequin was that little baby that looks so scary. If anybody wants to look it up, it that was the harlequin baby.
Speaker 3: So harlequin ichthiosis or anybody that's interested in that. And so, yeah, like this picture doesn't bother me as much as the other one did. The other way. He was literally like terrifying. I probably would not know.
Speaker 1: What to do.
Speaker 3: Even I would have, I would have been like, what the hell? That looks like something out of a horror movie?
Speaker 2: Yes, because I mean what would you do if you really were the nurse and didn't know like that? You know that that's a lot.
Speaker 4: Even US nurses are taken aback sometimes and not in a mean way or anything. It's just a surprising.
Speaker 3: Hundred So that the harlequin, that one that you said is it says it's extremely debilitating and can be fatal in infancy or in the past it was like always fatal. I'm sure not anymore because advancement. But i will say these are things that I, honest to God, don't see that much anymore.
Speaker 4: No, no, I have you know what they said that this was really prevalent in Muslim culture, and there was one other and it's prise me.
Speaker 2: It was like a Middle Eastern type thing. And I'm like, well, you know, they still marry their sisters there, And I'm not I'm not saying they all do, but I am saying there is.
Speaker 3: Which which would make sense because a lot of these are from genetic mutations.
Speaker 4: And I'm not dissing on anybody that's of a certain race. I'm just saying, don't marry everybody. Yeah, yeah, don't do it. It's a bad plan. I don't care if they tell you you're from a certain lineage.
Speaker 3: I know I don't cute, but no, you can't marry me.
Speaker 4: Nope, don't marry your sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles and stuff. Space it out a bit, space it out. But this baby also has it. Not quite I'm not quite as bad. I mean it's bad, but like there's worse, you know. This one I found fascinating because only on half of the body.
Speaker 2: How crazy is that? I thought that one was quite interesting.
Speaker 3: So this may be the one, and that's called vulgaris And of course even under that there's multiple different things too. But it says the alligator type skin that can be to one side of the body.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, all right, that makes more sense. That would be so strange to have, Like it's a clear demarcation for people.
Speaker 2: That can't see it.
Speaker 4: It's literally like somebody drew a line down half of the body and the rest is fine.
Speaker 3: So well, especially if if this is oh some of those are are, especially if that runs like neural pathways as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know if it did. I can't remember on that one.
Speaker 3: We'll have to That kind of looks like, hold on, so what was it? I said it a while ago, And it follows like the embryonic division line and so cellular lying straight down the back of the body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these ones were wild.
Speaker 3: Some kind of nervous thing.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, we knee it painful.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look if it's painful, because I know the next one is, and I just I'm not sure about this particular one.
Speaker 2: Oh it says alligators do feel paint. That's not what I want. I know that, Like I didn't think they didn't have. Yeah, it says, oh my gosh, whatever. So yes, it says it is painful.
Speaker 4: So if it's you know, if it's big, if it's a big area, it can cause pain because of the cracked in flame skin. So I don't know if there's even anything other than creams that can help this, because they don't sweat a lot, and they get infections a lot, and so that's why they oftentimes die. And the treatments are very minimal, just oral retinoids and moisturizers, and that sucks, like I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: And this next one is the butterfly skin.
Speaker 4: And I don't know that anybody would have been able to travel in the circus with this except very minimally, because these guys, holy moly, uh, it would take very little to damage them, and so so literally just yeah, get damaged skin.
Speaker 3: Soare for Tidle's sake. This is also called epidermolysis belosa, which is the butterfly skin. It's extremely fragile skin that blisters and tears very easily. So when extremely seep pictures of these patients, they literally look like massive burn victims.
Speaker 2: Exactly my thought. I thought the same.
Speaker 4: I'm glad it doesn't seem to affect their faces badly, and the ones that I've seen so far, anyway, the chest seems to be just.
Speaker 2: Brutal, brutal, and I can't imagine. They said, it is like horrifically painful, and I can't. I just can't imagine, because like, your skin is.
Speaker 3: So fragile that it's very very raw. It's because the skin is thinner, your nerve endings are going to be closer to the surface of the skin. I will say that looking at a lot of these pictures, there was a story of a girl that I was following on Instagram that had a the act injury that ended up looking exactly like these pictures. Into her skin and burned, burned, her scalp, burned, all the home of her scalp. She's bald, now burned all down her back. Yeah, jeez.
Speaker 2: They did say they are trying to do new gene therapy gels for these people and say that's a promising new treatment that might help. And otherwise, this is not a very good disease to have because it's all just treating the symptoms, you know, like, oh, they get infections or whatever. I imagine you just live on antibiotics because it would be constant. This kid, he only has it a little bit. But I loved the pictures.
Speaker 4: This kid, I can't remember his name, but he his whole mission was to bring attention to this disease and he did, and he did die at seventeen. They usually die very early. But this picture right here of him and his mom just melted my heart. I thought, oh my gosh, what a great photo. You know, so I'm going to look up his name. Why we talk about him, because I just was like, Wow, way to go, kid, I think, yeah, And I.
Speaker 3: Can't imagine because burns in themselves are extremely painful, so especially when you have kids like this, and it's like a genetic mutation again that like affects collagen and keratin production and so that you need those things to harden your skin and to form the multiple layers of your skin in the first place. And so with those things missing, I can't imagine like how painful it would be to wear clothes, wear shoes, literally anything, because anything that rubs on that open burn type area.
Speaker 2: Hurt like hill. And then his name is Jonathan P. I t R. E.
Speaker 4: Petree maybe, but he did die at seventeen, and his mom left a pretty big legacy on how he took all these pictures and put himself out there to bring attention to this disease.
Speaker 2: So way to go, Jonathan.
Speaker 3: I would assume that this would be very rare.
Speaker 2: Yes, extremely is.
Speaker 3: That something I've I've not seen that's one of them.
Speaker 2: Definitely, It's just wild. And this kid also has it. And I got to look up his name as well, but he actually did some pretty cool stuff and he is a weight training heavy lifting guy. Now he I mean, how cool is that? Like I thought that was pretty cool. He's like one of the world's best strong men. Blah blah blah. I was like, oh yeah, because you know he's gotta be in pain like all the time.
Speaker 3: That would be that would be awful, incredibly terrible.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine, and he he just probably learned to push through. I'm not really sure how he managed to do that. It's pretty amazing on his part, that's for sure. So yeah, he fights through it. His name is Dean Clifford, and he said literally his skin rips every time he moves.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, especially doing weight lifting or whatever. I hope he doesn't like do dead lips or anything, because I can't even imagine.
Speaker 4: Looks like he's maybe had some skin grafting. I wonder if once they have skin grafting done, if they're able. I know this is going to be controversial, but I'm gonna say it because I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: If they're doing it, they well we say.
Speaker 3: What we think, and well what we say.
Speaker 4: Listen, they're throwing away all these little baby penises after they cut them, and one way or another, I don't want to get into a discussion about if we should or shouldn't cut them, but people do, and so I want people to know. I'm not sure how they go about this, but one baby foreskin because the skin is so perfect, or skin burn victims and people like this can make twenty.
Speaker 2: Grafted sheets of skin.
Speaker 4: And look, I know we've said things back and forth about should we be doing genetic modification for certain things? Man, I don't think they should be doing full full like livers and stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know there's a level, right, But for the skin, I feel like that's a lot different where it would reject less. I'm just talking about safety, not ethic, but safety wise. Like I don't know if I would want a full heart that was created in a Petri dish.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that, right, or a three D printer right might make me a little anxious.
Speaker 4: But some skin, I have a skin graft, so I can speak on this. I can definitely say that, you know, you run out of areas. I was severely burned as a little kid. Yeah, and they had to take it. I mean I was only one, so there wasn't a whole lot of space. I mean off your butt, you know.
Speaker 2: But either way, I mean they're throwing them away.
Speaker 3: Well, and even because a lot of times when they do grafting or graft harvesting, they take it from like your thigh, but having that shaving done to do the graft in another area of your body is also excruciating and painful. Yes, it's not a walk in the park. It doesn't feel good.
Speaker 2: No, And so I think that it's important.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, if they're gonna go ahead and use them for women and they're silly their face creams and.
Speaker 2: Whatnot, blah blah blah. Like I'm just saying, I'd rather got to push this up sharing somewhere or maybe you can see it there we go, okay, And so I'm just saying, before we give it to Esda Lauter, right, maybe we could give it to the people that need it.
Speaker 4: Like that's just my thoughts on it. And if we're gonna use crisper technology and different things like that, I mean, like, let's give it to the people that need it. I mean, i mean, beauty regimes, whatever you want to do to yourself, cool, but like let's let's put it in priority.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 4: Sandra Bullock has been all over TV talking about how she uses them for her face, so you know, you guys can google it. She she literally had a full ass discussion on a TV show. It wasn't just a quote about how you know, baby penises or in her whatever the hell she uses. And so I'm just saying, if we're going to give them to somebody, I feel like you should be able to say where it goes.
Speaker 2: Because they're keeping them, they're not going in the trash. Come on, get on your here. What's that? That's why they put them in the biohazard certain things. Same thing with the plus senta and everything.
Speaker 4: If it was really going in the trash, all the things in that room are biohazard.
Speaker 2: Why is there a special bucket just for that?
Speaker 3: M makes collection collection purposes.
Speaker 4: And people are so worried about spitting in a tube. I'm like, listen, unless you're amish and you're not ever going to a doctor ever in your life, and ever like any kind of normalcy with any hospital ever, I don't think you're getting out of it.
Speaker 2: They take samples from us all the time. Let's be real. That is very true. That happens. Yep.
Speaker 3: So here's another interesting thing. Probably don't have very many pictures if any of this.
Speaker 2: I forgot.
Speaker 3: This says this, this happens, but it's not a genetic mutation or anything like that. Is literally from says self treatment enthusiast people that take colloidal silver.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't get a picture of this yes.
Speaker 3: And basically, colloidal silver builds up in your body and cannot be excreted, and so it will cause your skin to be a discolored blue gray, a lovely shade of blue gray because of the silver build up because your body can't expel it. So that is called our geria. And so I've never seen that, but it would be It's not been in a side show, but it would be visually unique for a side show if you had a blue or gray person.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that they do have some pictures and I forgot to do that one and I do.
Speaker 4: I'll reshare when we talk about yours down because I forgot they were out of order and we were going in a different direction. But I do think they have some on colloidal silver people because I remember seeing them and being because my dad, Yeah, my dad was super crazy about like alternative medicine, and we used to tell him, you're just gonna die from your crazy Mexican cures.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know what is in that bottle, but like it frightens me.
Speaker 3: Oh, colloidal silver, Like right around the beginning of the when the world went ten to chaos, Yes, colloidal silver was being pushed really big at that time for put in in your toothpaste. They had all these influencers on Instagram and TikTok and whatever pushing colloidal silver. We can, we can make it, we can send it to you, you can use it for all these different things. If it's going to turn me into a smurf, I think that I'm just saying my color.
Speaker 2: So I mean, you know it's beautiful, but I don't want to be that color. So definitely google that because it's it is a real thing, and it's uncurable. This is the sad thing, Like if you done did it too much, it's unfixable. You cannot fix it.
Speaker 6: And so because you can't remove coloidal silver from your system, I think that's wild. Yeah, so even the people that use colloidal silver in their toothpaste all of the time, you're going to change the color of your teeth.
Speaker 2: How wild? Yes, saying, And you don't want to be a smurf unless you do I have you don't want to be.
Speaker 3: A I don't. Some people may super duper enjoy that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, very strange, not not first, we don't. We don't love.
Speaker 3: So if if people like that were on a sideshow, they would probably market them as aliens.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe.
Speaker 3: Some people.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I think there's so much wrong with so many people.
Speaker 3: But we're just not going to go there.
Speaker 2: Will behave right now.
Speaker 3: So the next thing we're going to talk about is Eeler's dan Lows. I forgot because Heidi and I have already done like a full episode on the Eelers dan Lows and all the different types and what kind of things are affected. So, uh, today we are gonna chitty chat about the one that affects the skin because people that have and I think it was the what was the traditional type of Eelers dan Lows. It's called classic or something like that. This was episode one one people, if you want to check that out.
Speaker 2: Can you see that? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yes, I used him as my He's wild. I love it thumbnail as well, so.
Speaker 2: I can say anything I want about this because I have it.
Speaker 3: Yes, So this is the type, which I think it was called classic. It has skin hyper extensibility, which means that they can literally stretch that skin in all kinds of different way, shapes and fashions.
Speaker 2: They don't have the skin one, but it's crazy.
Speaker 3: The first man was literally pulling the skin from his face and like inworting it in different places. And I don't mean just a little.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I'll show you all this one. Check it out.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's fabulous. That's kind of a kind of a fetish type picture.
Speaker 6: What the hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this guy is using the big.
Speaker 2: Metal lamps like paper clamps, kind of yes.
Speaker 3: Like paper clamps, and he has them attached to a chain and some kind of device, and he's actually pulling his skin from his cheeks and his neck out really far with these paper clamps.
Speaker 2: It's crazy bananas that that can happen.
Speaker 4: This is just a wild This guy has his neck over his nose like he pulled his neck skin like wo up over him.
Speaker 3: You know what this is? This right here is where they got the the marketing's genius behind those neck gators.
Speaker 2: Oh that's what's up. Oh my gosh, what this is or.
Speaker 3: Foreskin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I yeah, I didn't say it, but yeah I thought it. I thought it for sure. I'm just gonna say I don't care. And it's wild.
Speaker 4: Because when he isn't pulling on his skin, if you guys notice, he looks normal.
Speaker 2: It's totally normal. But then when you pull it, it just stretches like crazy, and so these people have one nice thing and all of the elers daan. Most people have this, they get a look young.
Speaker 4: This was kind of one of my diagnosing factors is you don't age that rapidly because your skin is weird.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's a collagen disorder. And so that's one nice thing that we get.
Speaker 4: So I have the hypermobility type, which sucks because the skin trick is fun, but the hypermobility one hurts right like it's crappy.
Speaker 3: And I was dying then, the opposite of the way they were meant to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is how I was diagnosed. So they are bending.
Speaker 4: A lot of people say I could bend my thumb forward too, and I'm like, no, with your head backward, and.
Speaker 2: I'll show you my little trick here there you go. Nope, So my joints do this.
Speaker 4: But the bad part about this is people will say, well, that's cool because like a contortionists, until you start breaking your back and your hips and your because things.
Speaker 2: Just slide out of position. You wake up one day you sleep with your arm up and your shoulders dislocated, and I mean you just learn how to put things back, which sucks. It's extremely painful in general because when you walk, things move like they shouldn't. So yeah, sucky.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So imagine like the normal functioning of your body and people that have this this hyper flexibility type, how things moved backwards. So imagine walking and your knee went backwards. That's why when Heidi and I talked before, that is definitely me. I have had that many times where my knee went the wrong way.
Speaker 2: Yes, so do you have it too? Are you hypermobility?
Speaker 3: They have never diagnosed me with that, but I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: Touch your nose with your tongue, this is a diagnosis.
Speaker 3: I will not show people on video because I just did. I don't want it. I don't want to cause all kinds of excitement for your day, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah now, yeah, now, hey, we have talent whatever.
Speaker 4: Fine, but yes, things pop out and they don't necessarily go back, go back. Yeah, this guy has it, and he is displaying my daughter can do. But it freaks me out. I don't try to do this because it freaks me out.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I could that I.
Speaker 3: Can, and then you run the risk if you're doing this, our joint's going to go back, and so I know we talked about that on our full show on Elers, Dan lows about people that are quote unquote double jointed, which is what the picture of this girl looks like. She's double jointed to be able to do that, which all reality is literally Eler stands.
Speaker 4: Right, right, and they I mean the skin thing is crazy to me, Like this brings a whole new meaning to the word skin suit for my brain.
Speaker 2: But I don't have that type, thank Heaven's.
Speaker 4: But like I said, the second type, I don't know if it's any better because it's still it's like a whole pain.
Speaker 3: So when I see you, like, I'm not going to be able to pull your skin.
Speaker 4: And no like the elephant girl, Yes, the poor elephant girl, I guess she could do that. They didn't show, but you can see the wrinkles like literally it's like a suit of of like like a person that lost a lot of weight.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, it's like from though.
Speaker 3: This is what Okay, So what Heightie's talking about the elephant girl and the condition that she has, and it it looks like elephant skin because it's textured the same and it does have like the wrinkles and the folds just like an just like an elephant does.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so babies like, this isn't from weight loss, this isn't from this is like from little I.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say, uh, gastric bypass surgery right right. We've had a lot of patients that have the skin that hangs like drapes, but it's not textured like this, no, so.
Speaker 4: And it's soft usually like so elers down loss. Your skin will be softer than normal people's skin. It'll be see through like you can. It's and this comes from the stupid in breeding of the royals because they called them blue bloods right because you can see their veins and they were kind of.
Speaker 2: Proud of this, which is so random and weird, but yeah, that's what's up.
Speaker 3: So, so the Elephant Girl was Susie the elephant skin Girl. It said that she was the only person in her family that ever had any kind of weird skin condition or anything like that. But the creases were mostly formed in the joints et ceterac sector. So she traveled around Europe because she was born in Germany. Earned Blynn traveled around Europe first, then she came to Cody Island and started performing there, and that's where she got the nickname the Elephant Skin Girl and Susie, which is not her real name anyway, Charlotte Linda Vogel. So she did that for a while, but because performing was so demanding and they wanted her to do so many shows, she left and decided that she was going to be featured in Ripley's Believe It or Not, which was the exhibit at the Chicago World's Fair.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 3: Kind of weird how the World's Fair ties in with the side shows.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: So she did that, but they made her perform like eight times a day. Oh wow at this Ripley's Believe It or Not. So it was too exhausting for her, so she quit and and opened her own show, this girl called the Swamp Girl. Oh and she builled it as an improbable cross between a woman and a swamp lizard.
Speaker 2: Why would she pick that? There's so much better?
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: That's so weird, I mean, mm hmmm, swamp Girl. I just I don't know. I don't know if that translates over.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know. Because she had her maybe they told her she couldn't use Elephant Girl anymore. So she had to come up with something she could.
Speaker 2: Be like elastic girl skin or I don't know, curtain curtain skin.
Speaker 3: I don't know, curtain girl, curtain girl.
Speaker 2: Maybe, I mean maybe she thought that that would be a false advertising.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna share a story with you because I said curtain girl.
Speaker 2: I did have a.
Speaker 3: Person that I knew at one point in time that was a female that the lips down below warlike curtains because I've it's almost like I've never in my life like you could literally wrap that around someone's head twice. And I don't mean that in a bad way, but we're we were talking about it a lot, and it's just stretchie the skinna. So think about the your ear lobe, right, and people were gauges to like stretch them out and make the holes bingeror whatever. This was a natural occurrence. Doesn't know what happened, but they were so long that she actually had a vaginal labia revision.
Speaker 2: I would as well, ye, we'll go in and chop that off if it is excessive like that.
Speaker 4: And even in some of these you know, skin ones, I guess maybe I'll trade the pain because I'll keep the pain for not having curtains.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know. You know, I don't know what's worse because she fixed it clearly, but then you have to live with it until that's painful.
Speaker 3: Though happened, happened that revision double because that's we're all skin down there and in the yonder.
Speaker 2: Parts and the yonder nether regions, y'all. That's rough. Yeah, I just can't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, from what I saw so far on these people, they were lucky enough that their skin went back right, but not the elephant girl right.
Speaker 2: Hers was saggy. Though that's rough. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know what's worse.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's many many types of elers Dan lost you guys, and you can, like Janet said, check out our episode on that. But I think the most common is what I have, which is called heeds hypermobility. None of the skin weirdness, thank Heaven's, although it does give me some perks. I have extra soft skin. My husband's always like, oh my gosh, your hands are like like the softest ever, which they call velvet skin.
Speaker 2: Also with that, when you carry babies, it rips like it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't just get stretch marks. It's a sitch, you know, and so think Kevin's that goes away when things go back down. But oh it's painful, like literally painful stretch marks and different weird things like that.
Speaker 2: But our skin doesn't like to heal.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah. But luckily, like I said, would I trade the pain for the aging, I don't know, you I don't know, freaks me out. I'm like, well, I don't really know any difference because it's not like you never had pain, like you're born basically in pain.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I definitely learned to not do all my fun parlor tricks.
Speaker 4: Anymore, like exactly behind my head and crazy things, because.
Speaker 3: See I used to be able to do that with the legs. I can't, yep, obviously not anymore.
Speaker 4: But no, but if you do have eelers downlosts, that would make sense why you also have back issues because we don't walk normally because things slide out of your spinal cord.
Speaker 2: Should not be moving around while you're walking, and they.
Speaker 3: And they have stay back and that's that's exactly why they did this fusion, because mine was moving in ways.
Speaker 2: It's not supposed so see that that makes me think you really can you binge with on backward like I did?
Speaker 3: Like this, No, okay, mind Jessica.
Speaker 2: I don't know if people can even see not that way but this way.
Speaker 3: You No, I can't that far.
Speaker 2: It just normal. I can't normal, and mine are like, my hands are here. I'll do my little trick. It's a fun one. My husband was like, what the hell? I used to show people in like high school and stuff, but not the head the lake behind.
Speaker 3: He's gonna start charging in a mission thing.
Speaker 2: He's like, what honor?
Speaker 3: He start his own side show at home, right, just at home.
Speaker 4: I'll just be in the window doing my cool tricks. But they would, you know, what they would want. They would want the.
Speaker 2: Bad ones for Yeah, I don't. I don't get damn like that. But and I don't. I don't want them.
Speaker 3: I don't want them kidnapping you and taking Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah they might. And that was you know, I almost got kidnapped in the Dominican ones. That was really scary. That's a real story.
Speaker 4: I got detained and the plane was leaving and they took my husband away and put me in a room all by myself with these humongous security guys, and they said it was about my bag. But I know Spanish and I think it saved my life. So I don't know amazing Spanish, but I know a pretty good amount. I'm very conversational, like I know plenty. And they were on the phone, but they weren't talking about my bag. They were talking about my hair color, my eye color, and my body, and I was I lost my mind and I started like yelling at them and Spanish, and my husband started pounding on the door and as soon as they heard me speaking Spanish, they like shoved all my shit in the bag and like threw me out the door and we.
Speaker 2: Made the thing.
Speaker 3: It was terrifying when who doesn't speak Spanish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was terrifying. I was like I can't even break y'all, like everything's all gone, like knock it off, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Out of here. With that, I don't want to go there. There's a lot of places I don't want to go, just because it was.
Speaker 4: Actually amazing, but just the airport was scary, which is random, you would think not. But the actual island, of course, we were in an inclusive gated all that stuff, like it was very safe.
Speaker 2: But we actually got married there and it was beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 3: It would be pretty to see. But I don't know. The world is so Craig Cray.
Speaker 2: And I know, I know it was fantastic. Oh.
Speaker 3: I got to mention this because you know, I said earlier that sometimes the performers had multiple things. So back to the episode number one that we had with the seafarer diagnoses Grady Styles, who was bash, hit nuts and murdered people. He also, outside of lobstercle hands, also had the ichtheosis vulgaris.
Speaker 2: Oh he did, yes, So it's weird.
Speaker 3: That's why I like multiple performers. Uh, it wasn't uncommon for them to have more than one condition. And oh then they could really play.
Speaker 2: Isn't his mom on drugs or something with him was? Or no, I can't remember. There was one. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, speaking of I have to tell this one last story about the elephant man. You know, you guys, he went through his life because at that time they really thought that women when they were pregnant, if you saw something that scared you, it could change your baby. And I guess she got scared by an elephant while she was pregnant, so they literally call it pregnancy impression. And she went through the rest of her life believing that she caused this to her son because she got scared by an elephant.
Speaker 3: Well that is really sad because what is that That is that is literally blame the mother. Yeah, and that is literally, uh like a terrible guilt to be faced with with your whole entire life because in printing you with some kind of bullshit.
Speaker 2: It was sad.
Speaker 4: I felt really bad for both of them. And then she dies right after, and then the dad just beats the ship out of him constantly.
Speaker 2: I was like, Wow, great, great story. Whoa So yeah, they really used to think this stuff though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that.
Speaker 2: Must have seen a seal I don't know.
Speaker 3: And your girl her mom's all mermaid right exactly.
Speaker 2: We're kidding you guys. We got to lighten it up a little bit. We saw some freaking traumatic photos. So yeah.
Speaker 3: So here's an interesting performer. His name was Willie Harris. He was billed as the frog Boy. He had ixtheosis of his skin, but it gave him or that he was promoted. I guess it didn't give him. They promoted him as a green, slimy froglike character, even though he didn't really have green skin, but they would they would slather him up and stuff before they like tossed him out there to perform, so that he would get the frog type color.
Speaker 2: Yuck. Here, it's yeah, Barnham, I hope you had some answering to do when you got where you're going.
Speaker 3: A hundred person not okay. So the the elastic skin man that you showed the pictures of earlier, he has elers dan lows, but his name was Felix Whirlie and he was literally the most famous side show performer because of his ability. So I gotta go over really quick. So these are skin conditions that are really weird that could warrant h circus side show stuff, but some of them were not ever included for different reasons. So I've had a patient with this one. It's called Morgellon's disease and it's a serbucial diagnosis. Patients report crawling sensations, skin leasions, and fibers emerging from their skin.
Speaker 2: And they come out.
Speaker 4: They literally pull them Like I used to think it was bullshit, but I have seen them pull them out.
Speaker 3: The weird things. Well, I had a patient that our doctor thought she was nuts because she was talking about eggs in her nose and eggs in her skin and whatever this thing was was implanting eggs in her and we thought, okay, she's uber like uber uber on drugs. But she literally had things come out of her arm in the office, and I was like another taken aback moment, and I'm like, what the hurl is that?
Speaker 2: No, ma'am, No, ma'am, You're like, listen, doctor, clearly this is not in her head.
Speaker 3: I mean it is, but obviously, but she was like wanting him to, you know, use the otoscope for the ear to look up her nose because she could feel. So she did have things come out of her arm, and they weren't fibers, I don't.
Speaker 2: They were like eggs. Yes, did he get anything out of her nose?
Speaker 3: I don't think he looked because he thought she was nuts.
Speaker 2: Well, but she showed him stuff. I don't know. That's I mean, that sounds like parasites. It was.
Speaker 3: It was pretty crazy. And and so I said it was controversial virtual because they think it is a delusional thing or uh, parasitosis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm telling you, guys, these delusional.
Speaker 4: People are pulling hair fibers out like this long it's and they're not ingrown hairs.
Speaker 3: And I would imagine probably more so after than the X because of the self assembling nano technology stuff. So could incidents of this pop up or we should.
Speaker 2: We should check and see if there's a higher incidence after we'll have to dig because I'm sure it's going to not come up, of.
Speaker 3: Course not, it's gonna be buried. So the next one is dermatographia, which means that you can write on the skin and it will stay there for a while. I actually had this for quite a while when I was younger, Like I could literally write a message on my skin and it would stay there for a while. And so that you're gonna love this. It's caused by mast cell ohsativity and so the things that cause allergic reactions to go into hyperdrive part of your immune system. That's what causes this to happen. And it's it's like rare. It's kind of a form of hives, but it doesn't last very long. And so they couldn't use people like me and the side show back in the day, even though I would have gone willingly yes, whatever. Yeah, I would have gone, but they wouldn't let make us. The writing didn't day long enough.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 3: So here's an interesting called blow syndrome, and it's a rare inherited granulomitous disorder that causes weird skin rashes, arthritis, and inflammation. They it wasn't visually dramatic enough for them to be put in a side show. But you'll have like little weird like benign tumors grow up under your skin here and there, or like strange bending of your joints. So like little almost like little arthritic tumors on your joints.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's like a Bible bump.
Speaker 3: You freak fingering, Okay. So and then we already talked about the moles. But here's an interesting one. It's a rethrow poetic proto porphia, and it is extreme sensitivity to sunlight causes burning, pain and swelling within minutes, kind of like the other one that.
Speaker 2: We talked about.
Speaker 3: And this is from uh a rethrow point and is made from the bone marrow. That's how your red blood cells are made. Is from the rethrow poeaton that comes from your bone marrow. And so this is a genetic disorder that comes from an over production of heme, which is is the blood component of your blood or the iron component of your blood, and so it was part of that, but this was not caused or not. They were not put inside chows either, although these kind of things inspired the vampire legion, so it's very closely related and similar again to the vampire syndrome we talked about the vampire moon kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 3: So this one is very weird and I do not have a clue in hell how to say this. It looks like patchyantia maybe congenita, and it is thickened nails, painful callouses, and white patches inside the mouth. Its weird, has uh mutation in the keratin genes, and it's extremely extremely painful. But I guess you can get like and I've I've actually seen people with like the really thick nails before. Oh yeah, but they always called it, what was a on aco micosis or something like that, So was it really or was it this? I don't know because they're they're usually very thick like hooves and they're hard to cut. People would always come to us to try to have us like cut their nails and I'm like, outside of like a bone saw of for casting, I don't know what we would.
Speaker 2: Use because time to go to the podiatrist that yeah no.
Speaker 3: Or people that get callouses that are really excruciatingly painful and they're very thick. We've had patients like this where we actually had to shave them with the razor blade. Oh wow, just shave the callous down.
Speaker 2: Ww So then you have.
Speaker 3: Callous flake solo.
Speaker 4: I would love to tell you the percentage, which should be a simple thing to retrieve and for any other disease. It is because I've been looking for more Gallon's disease since we spoke about it, and.
Speaker 2: It won't tell me. It's a controversial, but it will clear up into until twenty twenty. Of course, it's hard to track, but it's been tracked every year before.
Speaker 3: That, of course, but now all of a sudden it's it's woo wu. It's impossible now, yeah, so difficult, okay, whatever. So this is a very interesting thing. I've only seen it once. It's called like and plainness, and it's flat. It cheap purple bumps that often form in a lacy pattern on the skin with white patches in between. It's very strange. They also it also happens inside the mouth. The mouth is where I saw it, which was really weird. I'm like, whoa, So this is also an autoimmune in origin. They have no idea what causes it, but it literally does look like a lace pattern, like a doyley that your grandma would have on her side table.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, that's crazy. So on that on the tongue one and stuff. Are these all just autoimmune?
Speaker 3: That one? That one is, yeah, like and plainness is autoimmune? And that literally almost all of these things we talked about today were genetic and I think they're allly imune that were auto immune. And that was the bit of igo because they don't know what the underlying cause of the autoimmune disorder is, but they're gonna treat everybody the same.
Speaker 2: H wild.
Speaker 4: I bet it's wildly misdiagnosed, especially the oral one. I bet they just over and over say it's thrush rush yeh, you know, blah blah blah. And in this lacy one, I bet they. I bet they don't know unless you're a specialist.
Speaker 3: Like it was so weird because like I would go in and I would see a patient first and they would tell me like, you know, my throat hurts or whatever, and I'd go to look at it, and I'd be like, I've seen a lot of throats in my life. And I was like, holy molly, yeah, I'm like, dude, this is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It literally looks like a lace pattern.
Speaker 2: In her mouth.
Speaker 3: And he went in and he's like, oh, do you know what that is? And I'm like, nope, no, idea. Yeah, they nailed it right off the bat. I had never even heard of it before.
Speaker 2: And geographical tongue, right, that's another fun one. Yeah, well, I don't know. There's a good one which just happens. It's been nigh. But it looks terrifying, like if you're looking in mouse like we're talking about that. When you see that, you're like, what's going on there?
Speaker 3: I've seen some uper interesting things in my life, not gonna lie. Oh yeah, you know along with this stuff of course, like all kinds of rashes and warts and you know, everything under the sun, things that are contagious, things that are not contagious, fungal infections, parasites, you know, the parasites.
Speaker 4: Get me, man, I'm like, oh, that gives me the heaties for a while if somebody comes in and you're helping them, and even if.
Speaker 3: It's just like scabies, which is a we've had a lot of scabies people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not the end all be all. It's curable and stuff, but I'm itching for like a month after that. Just you know, you're and you don't you.
Speaker 3: Thought it's the thought of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's mister stupid.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna I'm gonna share this with people. So if you don't know what scabies are, escape bees are like little mite type parasites. They get they burrow under your skin. It is usually in a straight line like a pencil. And the reason why it is so bad is because they pee and poop under your skin.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna be worse. I didn't know that hard. There are cures. Get in there, Go get rid of that.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, what take care of the bugs? You wait?
Speaker 4: But kids get this all the time, you know. This is where I would mainly see things in the er, like little kids coming in with weird stuff like this just from the playground or.
Speaker 3: What we sell Moluscam contagiosum often in little kids or in uh like football players and stuff, and it causes little like warts all over your skin. They're little teeny warts, but they're highly contagious. And so because that is rampant in locker rooms and stuff, and.
Speaker 2: It's swimming pools, y'all, provided it wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Be uncommon to have like whole teams come in and have to get treatment, and they call them pedophla and drops and they are chocolate drops and it's it's like a brown acid that you have to put on these to burn them off.
Speaker 2: Jeez. So yeah, that none of that sounds fun.
Speaker 3: You can get them all over, even on the twinkie.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not the twinkie.
Speaker 4: Listen, when we tell if y'all want that special you guys, let us know, we'll talk about what can happen now you're young.
Speaker 2: It's good information to have. If you're old, it's probably too fucking late, but.
Speaker 3: You already have simplis. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: You know, all the good ones got simphless to the brain, like Howard Hughes simplest of the brain.
Speaker 2: Alcopine wasn't a good one, but you got simplest to the brain. But a lot of these really smart guys, right, or they just go cuckoo crazy like Meetschee. It's weird. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had one of my very first patients that I had to take care of when I was in school and on the rotation in the nursing home was a lady that was like, oh, I don't know, like eighty six at the time, that had syphilis. Oh because the town that I grew up in back in the day, they called it the red light district.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, So yeah, she had the oldest job in the world. And we're not knocking it. But back then, m would I do it?
Speaker 3: No, it was just unusual. I was like, this lady's in a nursing home and she has syphilis, Like, how did she get syphilis? That's weird, my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 3: And she told me all about it.
Speaker 4: Oh well, at least she remembered getting it, because sometimes things like that, Sometimes bad things happen in places she shared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she shared a lot, like a little TMI.
Speaker 2: She shared a lot. You know.
Speaker 4: I had this really confused lady that I used to take care of, and she was fantastic. She her name was Gertie and she used to be a dancer. And she danced on like cruise ships, and she was pretty famous.
Speaker 2: And this one lady walked in front of her one day, and this girty had dementia and Gerty was always thirty. Gerty thirty right, and she wasn't she was old, but in her mind she was hot shit and she was thirty. And so she said to me, look at this fat ass lady walk in front of me. She was so mean, and she so the lady's butt was big, and every time she'd walk she'd say ka katunga.
Speaker 4: And I'm like trying to shut this lady up, right, Like I am seriously like having a moment. And I'm super Mormon at this time too. I'm like, stop, stop, what are you doing? And so she just she goes, I go, you know, Gert, you're not so great yourself. And she goes, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm thirty and I'm amazing. And I thought, well, I guess it's not the worst thing that can happen.
Speaker 3: I don't know, say, I love talking to old people because if they can recall, they can share the most interesting stories with you. Always. That was my favorite prior to the job. But I also was not a fan of working on the Alzheimer's wing.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's fine for the people, it's sad for the visitors. Like her husband, like Gert was fine. Okay, she was in her own land, and she was thirty and flirty and fabulous, right, but she wasn't married at thirty. So this man that had been married to her for most of her life, she didn't know who he was. And so you know, she would scream at him sometimes.
Speaker 2: Get out of my room, and like, who's this all? She was mean? She was kind of mean, but she was hilarious. And who's this old motherfucker in here? Like he's old and ugly? Get him out of hair, like mean stuff to him. All that, and he just loved her, you know what. He didn't even care. He just loved her and loved her and her kids. She didn't know them, she I mean, she just didn't know anybody, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that part was bad, but like I said, for her, that's only painful for others. For her, she was fine, you know, I mean, I hate to say it.
Speaker 3: It was living her best life actually.
Speaker 4: What she was thirty and she used to tell me, I'm thirty and flirty and fabulous. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I was like old, like eighty and not that nebulous. But she used to just torture that one lady. I don't know why she was so mean to that lady, but she had it out for that one lady, and that lady hated her back. But if somebody was saying katunga behind my ass every time I walked, I would be upset too.
Speaker 3: I would just make a song about it. At my age now I don't really care.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's true, and she was older, but I you know this, that lady was pretty high strung. We'll say that.
Speaker 4: Oh but yeah, fun fun times. I was liked taking care of people in no matter if they're young or old or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't do kids. So when I say young, I mean not peeds. Yeah see I didn't.
Speaker 3: I liked pads.
Speaker 2: That was that was you nick. You is fine, But when they know I'm coming for them, I'm out. Like kids know, when.
Speaker 4: They're brand new neonates, people are always like, oh, did you feel so bad poking them in the head.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, they don't care. They just lay there. They're super sick like they don't care. So no, I didn't feel bad. I was saving their life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I didn't mind. I didn't mind the kids so much because I actually got really good at that because I would talk to them about cartoons or whatever first.
Speaker 2: Do something to distract.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're better at it than I. They always knew. I think my nervousness like came through or something.
Speaker 2: But trauma that's my jam. Not now. I do psych because my body, you know, doesn't like to.
Speaker 3: Because my body said, psych, you're not doing trauma anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely did.
Speaker 4: It was like, you want to break the rest of your back. Probably it's probably already broken, but I just don't know about it.
Speaker 3: Let's see if you can bend this way right.
Speaker 2: Pain is relevant.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you've always been in pain, that's a bad thing about Elers down most people or other people in chronic pain.
Speaker 2: It really has to be bad to get past the normal threshold to know.
Speaker 4: And so like when I was a kid and I broke my ankle because I rolled it seventy two times because Eeler's DWN lost right, I walked on it for three days and before I knew it was even broken.
Speaker 2: I mean I was in pain. People were like, weren't you hurting.
Speaker 4: I'm like, well yeah, but it did break it good enough to get some scar tissue to hold it still, so that was cool.
Speaker 3: Maybe you needed that, right.
Speaker 4: I mean I never broke it again, to be honest, and I had to have an MRI on it because it's the same side as that student thing, and they put in there a piece is like dislocated off, like I broke it off, and so they're like, probably from an old break, and I'm like, you're probably right.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to heal it took. Like I think I was in a cast the whole year. That year it was lame and I was like nine, So it's like, right at that time where you want to be active and you're running, I.
Speaker 3: Can't imagine that anything from Eiler's Dan Lows would be a longer recovery time.
Speaker 2: That was forever.
Speaker 4: It was like four fiberglass casts I think before it ever, and then I think they just gave up. I think they were like they were like, well, pick, she's walking on it, she seems okay whatever, let her.
Speaker 2: Go take the cast off. Yeah, that's all right. Well this one was fun. What we going to do for our next one. I can't remember. We got flu.
Speaker 3: Flexibility and our no no uh skeletal stuff and enjoying twins.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, let's do that all right. Next time, I'll have you send me yours like the way you have your.
Speaker 4: Notes, and I will match the pictures to your notes so we don't have to scramble around because that's kind of hard.
Speaker 2: And then we will get back with you guys on that one.
Speaker 4: And when it gets close to spooky season, we'll try and find our most fed up one for y'all, because that's why I.
Speaker 2: Edited the F word there. I've already said it like twice today.
Speaker 3: Whatever you're entitled, we're all a work in progress.
Speaker 2: We're dope.
Speaker 3: Thank you, my beautiful friend, for being here for another lovely episode of side show Attractions and tell the good ladies and gentlemen where they can bind you absolutely.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me as always wonderful to collaborate with my friend Janet, my bestie, and I.
Speaker 4: Can actually collaborate and chat with her because you know, she's one of the few people in the podcast world that I know is a real human.
Speaker 3: Oh JK, I am not an NPC's not.
Speaker 4: She's she's real. I'm telling you guys, check her out. And so for those that don't know me or if this is your first time seeing me, I'm Heidilove of the Unfiltered Rise. I am everwhere podcasts are served. I have lots of guest appearances. If you put in Spotify, Heidilove or Unfiltered Rise, you'll probably get a slew of things coming up there. I do have my own website, Unfiltered Rise podcast dot com. If you don't like podchasers at all, you can go there. However, if you like Spotify, I would love you to follow me on there, and if you can give me an Apple review, hopefully if it's a good one, because that's been brutal lately.
Speaker 2: You go on big shows, you get big hate. That's what happens.
Speaker 3: That's true. But somebody's always got to be hating and if they hate on me, they're leaving somebody else alone.
Speaker 2: This is true. And Janet, just in case they don't know, because you're on my show, what, I'm nowhere to find you as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I am deplorable Janet. You can find Deplorable Dation on every podcast platform plus now videos on Spotify also have a Rumble channel, so you can look it up on there if you want to hit me up with an idea for a show, or you want to come on to the show. You have testimony to give, you want to talk about medical stuff or a journey that you've had do so you can find me a deplorable Janet on Instagram and no Janet Kate now on Twitter.
Speaker 4: Or x follow us, hit us up, give us reviews, give us likes. How we keep in the business and we're lonely ladies in the business, so keep it going.
Speaker 3: And we're pretty fantastic. And I'm just gonna say I like us, So there you go. Thanks you guys, for me and for Heidi. Thanks for tuning in to another episode and we'll see you next time. Have a good one.