Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for joining us today on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the Bible teaching Ministry of Rick Warren. And today we're continuing our series called the Habits of Happiness. In this series, Rick dives into the Book of Philippians and helps you discover God's path to true and lasting happiness. And now let's get to Rick. Here's part one of a message called how to Keep from Stressing Out.
Speaker 2: I read a headline that said that personal stress worldwide is now at near record levels, near record levels, the highest it's been really since about World War Two.
Speaker 3: So I decided to do a little.
Speaker 2: Research on this, and I found out that today suicide has now passed car crashes as the number one injury death in America. The number one injury death in America is now suicide. I read another statistic that the top seven stresses in life are number one your job, number two, money, three, health, relationships, poor diet, media overload, lack of sleep, and parking at saddleback. I made up that last one. Obviously, maybe you could identify with this. I got this note Pestorick. A few weeks ago, I went to a doctor for some chronic aches and pains that seemed to be getting worse. I don't sleep well and I live in a constant state of fatigue. I told my doctor that I started a business seven years ago that's become very, very successful, but I now mist forced myself to go in to work. I feel overwhelmed. I feel overloaded. So my doctor asked me to list the stresses in my life and then think up some possible ways to reduce those stresses, and then write down a plan of attack. I'd like to know what the Bible says about stress management.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: We're going to look at the classic text in the entire Bible on how to keep from stressing out. We've been in this series through the Book of Philippians, and as we come to chapter four, Paul gives us in verses six to thirteen the classic anti stress management recipe. If you have a Bible, you can open the Philippians chapter four. If you then bring a Bible, that's okay, just pull out these notes. All the verses we're going to look at are inside your bulletin on this text passage outline. Now, the key to this is that this passage actually comes with a stress management guarantee and guaranteed by a doctor. It's guaranteed by God, So you really want to pay attention to this one if you want to lower the stress in your life. In verse seven, we have the promised guarantee. Here's what it says. If you do these things, you will experience God's peace. There you go, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. The Bible calls this the peace that passes understanding. How do you know when you have the peace that passes understanding.
Speaker 3: You're in a.
Speaker 2: Situation when you have no logical reason to be at peace, and you are. That's the peace that passes understanding. When you're in a situation where you're in total chaos, total meltdown, total stress, total tension, everything is going wrong at the same time, and yet you're at peace inside. That is the peace that passes understanding. And God says, I guarantee this for you. You do these things, you'll experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind could understand. His peace will keep your thoughts quiet and keep your heart at rest. Wouldn't you like that to have your thoughts quiet and your heart at rest? As you trust in Christ Jesus. Now God promises a more peaceful, less stressed mind.
Speaker 3: Is anybody interested in this? Yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: Now you know that there are over seven thousand promises in the Bible. But with every promise there is a promise. God says, if you do this, then I'll do this. There is a condition, and I want you to circle the premise for this promise, and it is those first several words. If you do these things, circle that. If you do these things, it's going to keep you from stressing out. You will experience God's peace. His peace will keep your thoughts quiet, keep your hearts at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus. If you do these things. What things, Well, that's what we're going to look at today. And there specifically are five things that God says to do in this passage. He says, I want you to worry about nothing. I want you to pray about everything. I want you to thank God in all things. I want you to keep your mind on good things, and I want you to be content in all things. Now we're going to look at these in detail, so let's get right into it. If you're taking notes, here's the first step. If I want to keep from stressing out number one, refuse to worry about anything. Refuse to worry about anything. Why Because the number one source of stress in your life is not work, It is worry. You may be overworked, but it's more likely you are over worried. Work doesn't keep you up at night. Worry does, and most of you are over worried. Now, God is very clear in the Bible what he thinks about worry, and that's the first verse, verse six. The first part of the first verse, verse six, Philippians sport says this, never worry about anything a circle, never encircle anything, never worry about anything.
Speaker 3: Question. Is there any wiggle room in that verse? No?
Speaker 2: Is there any exception? No, is there any exemption? No is there any reason where God says it's okay to worry in this circumstance. No, never worry about anything. That's about as big a blanket statement as you can make.
Speaker 3: He says, in no circule, Well what about no, never worry about anything? But what about no, never worry about anything? But what about no?
Speaker 2: Never worry about anything? Now, Jesus thought worry with such an important topic that He's spent a major section of his most famous sermons called the Sermon on the Mount talking about worry, and in that Sermon on the Mount, he gives a the four reasons you should never worry about anything. You might want to write these down. Number one, Jesus says about worry. Worry is unreasonable. It's illogical, it is unreasonable. It doesn't make sense. Matthew six twenty five. Jesus says this, don't worry about your life. Don't worry about your life what you'll eat or drink, or about your body or what you wear. Is not life more important than food, and is not the body more important than clothes. He's saying, this is not logical. You get your priorities out of order. It's irrational, it's it doesn't make sense. It's unreasonable. Now, why is worry unreasonable? No, there's a couple of reasons. First, because worry exaggerates the problem. It never makes a problem smaller, It always makes it bigger. Have you know somebody says something bad about you, The more you think about it, the bigger it gets. Are you got a problem you start worrying about. The more you worry about it, does the problem shrink with your worry?
Speaker 3: No, it always gets bigger.
Speaker 2: Worry exaggerates. It's irrational, it's unreasonable. It makes it bigger. It grows the problem out of proportion. And not only does is worry exaggerating your problem. Worry doesn't work, it never has worked. It is worthless. It is stewing without doing. It doesn't make any difference.
Speaker 3: In your life.
Speaker 2: See, to worry about something you can't change is useless, and to worry about something you can change stupid. Just go change it. In either case, worry is not the answer. Worry doesn't work. It's unreasonable. Second, Jesus says, worry is unnatural. There are no born worriers. You might think you are, but you're not. You're not a born warrior. You learned it. Worry is something you learn now. The good news is if you learn to worry, it can be Yeah, unlearned. Now you learned it. And actually to get good at it, you gotta practice it. Some of you are pros at worry. You have practiced it so much. You are so good at worrying.
Speaker 3: You are you?
Speaker 2: I mean, you get the PhD if you if they had Olympics on worry.
Speaker 3: You'd get a ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you have practiced it so much, but it's learned.
Speaker 3: Worry is not natural. No baby is born worrying.
Speaker 2: They pick it up from everybody else. Now, Jesus says in Matthew six twenty six, look at the birds of the air. They don't sow a reeve or store away in barns, and your heavenly father feeds them.
Speaker 3: Are you not much more valuable than they?
Speaker 2: If anybody's on God's welfare program, it's birds. They don't do anything except birdie things.
Speaker 3: Tweet that's it. Well, I tweet.
Speaker 2: Maybe they tweet too. Look at the birds of the air, they don't sew a reeve, But he says, your heavenly father feeds them. Notice you're heavenly fathers talking about the birds.
Speaker 3: Heavenly father. He's saying, you are heavenly father.
Speaker 2: Now, if God is your heavenly father and you are his child, children get special privileges, and children of royalty are treated royally. And he says, what are you worrying about?
Speaker 3: Birds?
Speaker 2: Don't worry, and they're not even God's not their father. God's their creator, but not their father. God's your father. Don't worry about it. Verse twenty eight, twenty nine. Jesus says, and why do you worry about clothes? And why do you worry about clothes? Look at the lilies of the field, the field lilies. They they don't worry about theirs. Yet King Solomon, in all his glory, was never clothed as beautifully as they are. He's saying, in all of God's creation, in the entire universe, only human beings worry. We are the only thing God made that doesn't trust him. And he says worry is unnatural. He says, God says, you're valuable or valuable than these things.
Speaker 3: I take care of them.
Speaker 2: By the way, since worry is unnatural, it's also unhealthy that He wasn't designed to handle worry. It wasn't design. When people say I'm worried sick, they're telling the truth. And doctors say a lot of people could leave hospitals today if they knew how to get rid of guilt, resentment, and worry, because that's what puts most people in. And see what I'm saying is it's not so much what you eat, it's what he's you. It's what he's you that makes you sick. It's the worry in your life. It's not just unnatural, it's unhealthy causes all kinds of health problems. The Bible says this Proverb's twelve twenty five. An anxious heart weighs a man down. Oh you know that one, and you feel like you're just pulled down by the worries. You know, the word worry actually comes from an old English word which means to strangle or to choke. That's what worry comes from, to strangle or choke. And when every time you worry, you are strangling and choking the life out of your life. An anxious heart weighs the men down. Look at the opposite Roberts fourteen thirty says, but a heart at peace gives life to the body.
Speaker 3: You want to be healthier, You need to.
Speaker 2: Stop worrying, never worry about anything. Why it's unreasonable and it's unnatural. The third thing, Jesus says, it's unhelpful. It's unhelpful. Worry cannot make you one inch taller. Worry can't make you one inch shorter. Worry can't take ten inches off my waist. If it could, it would have. Worry cannot lengthen your life. It can shorten your life. Though we know that worry cannot change the past, and worry cannot control the future. It messes up today. That's all it does. It doesn't change the past, it can't change control the future. It just messes up today. It's kind of like sitting in a rocking chair. You expend a lot of energy, but you don't make any progress. You're just It's useless. The only thing that worry changes is you. It makes you miserable. He has never solved the problem. It's unhelpful. And then the fourth reason why the Bible says never worry about anything is because it's unnecessary. God says, what in the world you're worrying about? Don't you think I'm going to take care of you? Don't you think I'm going to meet your needs. I made you, I created you, I saved you, I love you, I put my spirit in you.
Speaker 3: Don't you think I'm going to take care of your needs.
Speaker 2: It's unhelpful, but it's also unnecessary. There's no need to worry. Jesus says this in Matthew six thirty. You know, if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, think of all the beautiful flowers that are never seen by human beings, but God takes care of him. He said, if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he most surely care for you, oh you of little faith. The Bible says this one Peter five seven. Unload all your worries on God, since he is looking after you. And I love that word unload because literally, in the original Greek, it means to just drop. It's not like take a long throw of it, like you're throwing a baseball or throwing a rock across the lake.
Speaker 3: It just says unload. It means let it go, let it go.
Speaker 2: And God says, you know, all those things you're stressing about this morning, all those things you're anxious, you're worried, you're fearful, you're uppied about.
Speaker 3: Let it go. Let it go. Never worry about anything, because it's not going to do any good anyway. So what do you do? Anyway?
Speaker 2: You do the next step, and that's the second part of this verse. First part of verse six says never worry about anything. The second part is talk to God about everything. That's the second step. You talk to God about everything. Don't panic pray, don't worry, worship, stop talking to yourself about all the stuff to stress you out, and start talking to God. Talking to yourself won't do anything, but talking to God will. He's saying, talk to God about everything. This is the second part of this verse Philippians four to six. Never worry about anything. Instead, in every situation, let God know what you need in your prayers and in your request. You know, I got to thinking yesterday, if you prayed as much as you worry, you'd have a whole lot less to worry about. And by the way, God, since God has promised to care for you, if it's not worth praying about, it's not worth worrying about. He says, talk to God about everything. God knows what you need in your prayers. You know, when I was a kid, anytime I had a need in my life, I would I'd go talk to my dad, say Dad, I need this. And sometimes it was something that cost, something that's expensive, and I said, Dad, I need I can distinctly remember that not once as a kid when I said God, Dad, I need this. Never once did I worry about where my father was going to get the money. Never once, because that's not my job. It's my dad's job to figure out where the money is going to come from. It was my job as a kid, as a child, to simply ask. It's not your job to figure out how God's going to do it. It's your job to ask, to ask your heveny fellows, father, I need this help you. See, when you worry instead of asking, you're acting like an atheist. Worry is practical atheism. That's what it is. It's acting like I don't have a heavenly Father in my life. It's acting like God doesn't exist. It's acting like I'm a spiritual orphan. Worry is practical atheism. God says I'll take care of you. It's acting like God can't be trusted. Now here's what the Bible says. Look in your outline, James four two. You do not have because what you do not ask, you do not ask God. So here's the second key to stress management. Worry less, ask more, worry less, ask more. Instead of worrying, pray, worry about nothing, pray about everything. He said, Well, I don't want to bother God with this little bitty, tiny little thing. There's nothing tiny to God. Every problem in your life is tiny. To God, there's no big problems in your life. There are no little problems in your life, because all of them are tiny to God. Now here's what the Bible says in Romans chapter eight thirty two. Since God did not spare even his own son Jesus, but gave him up for us. All he died on the cross for us. Won't he give us Christ? Who won't he who give us Christ also give us everything else we need?
Speaker 3: What's he saying here? Follow the lodge?
Speaker 2: Your biggest problem is getting into heaven, because heaven's perfect and you're not, and neither am I. I stopped batting a thousand about breath number three, and so God came up with plan B. He came to Earth in human form, and he said, I'll live a perfect life and I'll die for you, and you can get into heaven on my ticket. It's grace. I don't work it, I don't earn it, I don't deserve it, I don't buy it.
Speaker 3: It's just grace. I told you last.
Speaker 2: Week that one of my mentors was Peter Drucker, and I asked Peter one time. Peter, at one point, did you step across the line and accept a relationship with Jesus. He said, you know, Rick, the day that I understood Grace for the first time, I realized I'm never getting a better deal. There was no way I'm getting into heaven on my goodness. I'm not good enough.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: If God did not spurs on Sun but gave him for us, won't he give us everything that Christ has given to us? Won't he give us everything else we need? If God solved my biggest problem, everything else is small by comparison. If God loved you enough to die for your sins, don't you think he loves you enough to help you with your finances?
Speaker 3: Don't you think he.
Speaker 2: Loves you enough to help you with your health, with your relationships, with the career decision, with closing a deal, with making a sale. Yeah, there is no area of your life that God is not interested in. The Bible says he has the hairs on your head number now for some of this that's not too hard. But God knows every hair in your head, and even the ones you left in the sink this morning.
Speaker 3: That's how detailed. I don't even know how many hair is on my.
Speaker 2: Head, but God does. God says, I all care for you, and I'll care for all of your life. So one of the dumbest things you can say is God, I'll handle this. Really, when he's offered to take care of every air of your life, to say, God, I'll handle this. Why you want to lower the stress in your life. Worry about nothing and pray about everything. Number three, The third thing he tells us to do is to thank God in all things. Thank God in all things. Now, I doesn't say thank God for all things, because there's a lot of things you shouldn't be thankful for. There's pain in the world, there's evil in the world. Somebody gets cancer, you don't have to thank God for cancer. Somebody dies, you don't have to think thank God for their death. But it says in all things, give thanks, which means even in the bad times, I can find something good. Now here's the third part of that verse Philippians four to six. He says, you know, worry about nothing, and then he says, when you ask God for what you need, also thank him. Circle that thank Him for all he's done. Always ask with a thankful heart. Today's English version said, now, I'm not going to belabor this point because twice already in this series, we've talked about the connection between gratitude and happiness. You cannot be happy and ungrateful at the same time. Happy people are grateful people. Unhappy people are ungrateful people. Study after study after study has shown that the healthiest emotion known to human beings is the attitude of gratitude. And the more you build gratitude in your life, the more happy and the more healthy you're going to be. And the in fact, study is shown that having an attitude of gratitude actually raises your immunities, and being ungrateful and being resentful actually lowers your immunity to other things in life. We know that gratitude is one of the remedies for depression because it gets my eyes off myself and gets it on other people. Instead of looking at what I don't have, I look at what I do have. It's a stress reliever, gets the focus off me. Ungrateful people are unhappy people. He says, when you ask God, don't just ask, but also thank him. Always ask with a thankful heart. Now, the fact is I can always find something to be grateful for. We've talked about this for on the cover of K's last book on choosing joy. There is a pair of railroad tracks, and it's representative of life that on in your life. You're always you've got two rails at the same time. One rail of the good things that are happening in your life, and the other rail are the bad things that are happening in your life. Now, I used to think that life was a series of hills and valleys, mountaintops and load times, and you know, you have all of these good times and you have all these bad times.
Speaker 3: But that's not really true.
Speaker 2: The fact is you get them both at the same time all of your life. In other words, there's no time in your life when everything is good and there's nothing bad in your life, and there's no time when everything is bad and there's nothing good in your life. No matter how good things are going on in your life, there's always something you need to be working on. And no matter how bad things are in your life, there's always something you can be thankful for. Be grateful for, and so I can always find something. And this is the third step for stress reduction. Be thankful and thank God in all things. This is exactly what the Bible says. First Thessalonians five eighteen says this in everything circle that. Now it doesn't say in most things. It says in everything, not four, but in everything give thanks for This is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. You know, people ask me, not time Rick, I'm just trying to figure out what God wants me to do with my life. What is God's will for my life? There it is right there. This is the will of God for you. And before God shows you step two, you need to take step one. God does have a will and a plan for your life, your marriage, your career, your education, and everything else. Before we get to those specifics, Gods says, let's work on the general. The first thing is I want you to learn to be grateful in every situation. This is the will of God for you. You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things you ask about us most here on Daily Hope are the Bible scripture cards. We get a ton of requests for them. So Pastor Rick has created another deck of scripture cards with fifty two key verses from his Habits of Happiness teaching series. These verses will help you discover God's path to true and lasting happiness. They're colorful, eye catching cards, and they make it easy to memorize the Word of God so you have it when you need it most. Something you hear Pastor Rick talking about all the time, so be sure to ask for the Habits of Happiness scripture cards. When you support Pastor Rick's Daily Hope with a gift to help share the hope of Jesus Christ with people all around the world, it's our way of saying thanks. Just go to Pastorick dot com to get your copy of this great resource. That's Pastorick dot com. Or you can just text the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. Again, that's the word hope to seven oh three oh nine, and thank you so much for your support. Your gift to Daily Hope helps us share the Hope of Christ with people everywhere.
Speaker 3: Be sure to.
Speaker 1: Join us next time as we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.