Speaker 1: In company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I don't know who.
Speaker 2: The hell we think when we are get off our show.
Speaker 1: Idiots.
Speaker 3: The kids are crying to turn off.
Speaker 2: The cultures are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 3: Roughly ninety seconds ago, right before Austin Montgomery fired up the theme song to get us started, I wrapped up a phone call with Tony Vinetti. I don't say that just to brag, you know, but humble brag. I do know Tony Vinetti, He's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 2: But he went to Trinity, you know.
Speaker 3: I feel like if that was true, he would say that more. I know. He's very humble, yeah about it, Yeah, keeps it pretty private. But I don't know how this happened. But as I look down after I had hung up the phone, I really you know, it went right back to my contacts because I went to my contacts to call Tony and he I don't know if he did this at one point, I don't see him having the the I mean, I'm sure he knows how to run a phone, but he has set as an emergency contact on my phone, which is kind of scary. Like so if like I end up in a ditch and they don't know who to reach out to and they just look for emergency, I don't even know how you'd said it. I probably did it sometime, you know, on accident, because I wouldn't have done it intentionally. But what it's done here is it does have me going from Wow, that's crazy. They're gonna be calling Tony Vinetti if they found me dead in a ditch. Yeah, And you know, I don't know if that's the right person they should call or not. But now I'm thinking, you know what Tony kind of has been. I mean, he's not an emergency contact kind of guy. Wouldn't want to burden him with that, but he has kind of been like in a professional sense, like my my, my uncle, my big brother. So you know, I don't know if i'd rely on him to be the guy that, you know, if I'm in a situation and they just go and what is an emergency contact for in your iPhone? Like do you have anybody said have you ever even seen it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Now is it clear on here? Can you see like where it's got.
Speaker 2: That red Yeah, yeah, it says it right there emergency contact.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I mean I don't know if you have Tony, I mean, if you're cool enough to have Tony Vannetti's number like you do anyway, I mean, wouldn't you want him to be the first person that is called if you're in a pinch, if you're in danger, if you're in peril.
Speaker 3: Well, he's he's he's given great advice over the years, that's for sure, and he's he's been good to me. But the benefit of having Tony as the emergency contact is that he has no emotion like he's he's emotionless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get sad, he doesn't. I mean, although I have at times seen him, you know, kind of grow a little bit of a heart And it doesn't happen often, but it's happened then you woke up. But but like maybe when it comes to like I don't know, the coroner who would have to whoever calls and says, hey, you know we need to you're the emergency contact. We need to discuss do you know, Nick coffee, we need to talk about it. He would at least be the guy they don't have to worry about, you know, losing his mind and being hysterical because he's he's emotionless, like there's nothing that would you know, He's never too high too low. So anyways, like a crocodile, as always, I get a little distracted as we get the show started. But yeah, I also just wanted to brag about, you know, I got tony of n Eddy's number.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like I'm a pretty big deal by being able to say that. But anyways, let's get it started. Welcome in Happy hump day coffee and company with you here on a Wednesday, a very very very cold day, you were out and about for lunch. I mean, is it still insanely freezing outside?
Speaker 4: Fez?
Speaker 3: I mean, what's happened? And this is I would have never even thought about this in any way if I didn't witness this. So I was. I was coming from Second Street to Muhammad Ali had actually I went over to Southern Indiana earlier and came back on the Second Street bridge just drove it straight down to Muhammad Ali to take a rite and end up on the fifth Street, which is where our garage is. But to the other side there was somebody heading north and obviously there's there's snow that has been plowed that's just kind of stacked up on each side of the road, right like certain people's driveways. If you've got a two lane driveway, it's probably closer to one or maybe not even that, because you've just basically been able to clear off a path to where you can get your vehicle in and out. So with this cold, freezing temperature, a lot of this stuff that's been shoveled in different directions it's just sitting there, so, you know, still frozen, but it's so cold outside that it's not just like I mean, it's it's insanely frozen. Like I don't, I don't know the right word to use to describe it as being, you know, extensively frozen more so than just you know, frozen. But somebody on the other side they slightly maybe they were on their phone, I don't know what it was, but they slightly veered off to the right and they hit that hue, like the frozen mound of snow that had been shoveled or you know, plowed to the to the right side, the front of their car, like the bottom of it hit it and it broke, like.
Speaker 2: It cracked it.
Speaker 3: Like, so when you run into this stuff that's piled up, I mean, you probably wouldn't want to do that under any circumstance. But it's so cold that like you'll mess up your car, like you'll like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, ice blocks. Yeah, we'll be an iceberg.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 3: That's what it is. In the streets that have just been plowed to where it was just stacked up on one side or maybe both sides, that stuff has frozen to where it's essentially a humongous iceberg. And that's dangerous as hell. I mean again, if you're going off the road, that's always dangerous, regardless of the weather and the circumstance. But we don't even have the full lanes in certain areas because they just haven't been able to clear off that much space. And if you do, mean you don't even have to veer off the road. You can just not be paying attention and realize, you know, you hit that, and you'll know right away, Like I I heard it and it sounded like a car crash, and I guess technically it kind of was, because the guy stopped and got out and like you could just tell. But like the front fender, it was an accurate one of those what kind of accurate it was, but kind of a sportier one that's set lower to the ground. And I guess their front fender was. I guess a little. I mean, I feel like any car that made contact would have would have had some damage.
Speaker 2: It changed insurance information with pile.
Speaker 3: I quickly turned right and just realized, like damn, that that's for it. I would have never noticed it had it not been for the noise, like it was loud. And it makes sense because again that that's I mean, that's as frozen as as can get. So it's very cold, and uh, I'm glad that we did get the roads cleared off because with this temperature the last couple of days, it's just been absolutely freezing.
Speaker 2: Today is and yesterday I actually got to use a fiance's car just to run to the store. And it's the first day during the snow during this snow mgeddon Icemageddon that's been going on since when last Saturday, that since my roads are so bad, So they're still bad, right my side roads are still.
Speaker 3: Probably worse than it's ever been, honestly, right, I can't how cold it is.
Speaker 2: I can't get it's it's I got. I have to maneuver the car out like Austin Powers when he's stuck in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of the hallway.
Speaker 2: I got a backup, and like I gotta find the perfect sweet spot because I'm sly and the tires are spending when I'm trying to leave my my parking spot, which I left a cone out there for so no one else parks.
Speaker 3: In front of it. Yeah, I I mean there's probably still roads out there. I mean again, your street is in Louisville. I mean it's not even far from where we stand, and it's ugly, and I mean there are probably way more roads out there that just never got treated and people have been able to kind of make do. But when it gets this cold, it's it's a different level of like frozen. I mean, it's crazy. So stay warm. I think we're gonna get some temperatures above freezing here before too long, which will start another process of the melt. But this time of year, even if you do get temperature in the you know, at forty that'll do some damage to this as far as melting it. But it's gonna get blow freezing when it gets dark, and like I think, in all honesty, let's we get some kind of a heat wave where we are above freezing for like consecutive days around the clock. This is gonna be here for a while, which you know, if it doesn't impact me, then it you know, no big deal. I don't care. But I'm sure there's plenty of others that that are to you. I mean, you just shared it. It's still an issue. Your stream is still just a big block of ice, which again is not ideal for us, for anybody. All right again, Coffee and Company, that's us, Nick Coffee, that is me. I hope you knew my name. If not, now you do, and hope you remember it to I hope to make an impression on you if you are, if you are experiencing the Coffee and Company ride for the first time ever.
Speaker 2: Now you can now add producer to your list, producer and show runner.
Speaker 3: Produce Oh video.
Speaker 2: No real, Well, I'm yeah, yeah, I got you.
Speaker 3: I got you yesterday. I try to block that out because that's something that puts me in a in a negative space. But here you are gassing me up, giving me props. And I appreciate that because yes, not only did I host a show yesterday, but for two hours of it, I was producing and it it it. We finished the show. Like I was going to say we had no issues, but I think we did have a couple of issues. But you know what we look this is coffee and company because at the root I'm a company man. It's right produce. You want me to host, you mean to do weather? You mean the traffic up things. I'll do whatever you guys need. That's wha Yeah, I mean I'll go on AMZ right now and play some honky talk if we need it. Like, I'll do whatever whatever I can for the for the fine folks here at iHeart media.
Speaker 2: So do a hodown?
Speaker 3: Don't Is that a dance?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 3: That just sounds dunter. It does sound it does sound country, but I don't like it. I feel like a hodown is what is?
Speaker 2: What is a country dance? A square dance? I guess you say that doesn't sound as flashy, but line dancing line? Yeah, like like the PBR girls do across the street.
Speaker 3: How about this. I don't even really know what it is, but it sounds good. I can boot scooting boogie.
Speaker 2: That's right, that too.
Speaker 3: We'll leave it at that. So all right, here we are ten minutes in and I'm about to just you know, explode here. Not in that way, pervs, but I'm just I want to talk. I want to talk about Louisville basketball once again, folks, because how about this team going on the road last night and just beating the hell out of Syracuse eighty five to sixty one. It is nice to be able to have a level of expectation that these guys are going to come out play really, really hard, play well. I mean, look, they're due for a bad game, clearly, I'm not saying that they're gonna have one, but I'm just saying they've continued to play well. They've maintained a level of play since the beginning of January that has been awesome to see. And I don't see them slowing down. I know Syracuse stinks and know the ACC stinks, but you know what, I don't care because that's not something Louisville can control. And even if all that is true, which it is, like I've said it all year, the ACC is lousy this year, but that doesn't have anything to do with how that doesn't factor in to Pat Kelsey and what this group's been able to do not being impressive. What people at times that thin get caught up in is Louisville fans being this excited, meaning more excited than they've been in a really, really long time, does not mean that they think they have the best team in the country and that they're about to go out and ending. By the way, the bat signal for insecure Kentucky fans is Louisville fans acknowledging their wind streak that they're in the tournament if it started today, than being excited like we had the Kumba Yao rivalry stuff, which you know still exist. I think Louisville fans are having a hard time genuinely disliking Mark Pope because he's a hard guy to dislike. I know many Kentucky fans feel the same way, but like, look, just because Louisville fans are excited, it makes sense. They've been terrible for years, We've been lifeless. Now we have life and we're playing good basketball. We feel pretty good about where we are. That doesn't mean that the Louisville fans are claiming That's one of the things that has really exhausted me about the rivalry stuff is just because somebody is excited or is happy that their team is doing well, there's a segment of the rivalry where the other side will weaponize that against you and you know, make it seem as if you think that your team is the best in the country. Like, no, it's not the case. So I've been enjoying it thoroughly. But and I probably don't need to throw this out there as much as I do, but just to be clear, my excitement, my love for this team as fun as it's been, as I've been super repetitive about it throughout. I mean, this has kind of been reruns lately because here we are coming in to talk about a louis basketball game that happened the night before, and I'm still feeling the same way I did for the last few weeks, but even more so. Right this group is playing really good basketball, and I think they have a chance to be to be pretty good to where maybe they make a run in the tournament and get to the second weekend. And I don't think that's a crazy thing to say. The ACC being really down doesn't mean Louisville can't do that. So both things can be true. Louisville can be a team that's getting better, that has really kind of hit their stride in this new version of themselves that doesn't include case In Pryor and Korin Johnson like I think they could. All that's true, but the ACC also can be bad like and you know, as I've said all along, use it to your advantage. So eighty five to sixty one was a score last night, I mean just some numbers. I mean rain Smith continuing to be Rain Smith. I mean he now after last night. I'll double check this, but I looked at it this morning and I'm pretty sure the stats were updated. Ray Smith is now averaging more three point shots made per game than any player in college basketball from the power four level. So I mean, he had ten points of pretty quiet ten points last night. And I bring up rain just because, you know, as much as we've talked about the shooting struggles this team has had at times, one they didn't have those last night, but also even throughout that, rain Smith has come here and been one of the best shooters in the country. And then Chucky he burned. I mean last night, I mean he was insane. I mean Chucky six of ten from three twenty four points, I mean eight of thirteen from the field overall, seven assists. I mean, the guy was sensational. And then Javon Hadley, you know, kind of a quiet night. But we're talking thirteen points ten rebounds on six of eleven from the floor and I'm pretty sure. Yeah, I mean, listen to this stat line. Back to Chucky. Chucky was twenty four seven and I thought he had where does this? Yeah, Chucky didn't have a steal, which was kind of surprising to me. But anyways, back to Javon Hadley thirteen points, ten rebounds, three assists. And again, when you're getting this kind of production consistently, and I don't mean you're gonna get twenty seven every night from Chucky or thirty two every night like you did with Javon against Clemson, but the odds of you getting one of like four or five guys to really bring it, at least one of them on any given night, Like there's much more probability that happens than like one guy needing to be great every single night. I mean, look, look, this is your leading scorers in the last seven games here last night Chucky twenty four against QES, rain Smith twenty five against pit Jevon Hadley thirty two against Clemson, tray Orra fifteen against Virginia, Chucky twenty six against Carolina, Terrence Edwards twenty against dKu, Rain Smith twenty seven against FSU. So, I mean, this team, I think is legitimately in a position to where if they keep this up, if they maintain this level of just you know, being locked in, being so good defensively, and you know they just keep doing what they're doing, this team could make a run in the tournament. I mean, again, you could also lose to anybody if you don't play well. But they've now done this for a long enough stretch that it would be a real surprise if they show up and aren't playing with this kind of intensity, with this kind of togetherness. I mean, it's just it's been a really, really, really fun ride. And last night again it seemed like like the win against Pittsburgh felt to me like it was the game where you had more national noise out there about how good of the job Pat Kelsey's doing at Louisville than we've had at any point. It's been there, here and there, especially when they got off to a good start in the Bahamas. I mean, it's been out there, but the pit win it kind of took it to a different level as far as Okay, anybody that's got a platform that reaches a lot of people talking college basketball went out of their way to make sure they mentioned Kelsey and what he's doing at Louisville last night. To me, it kind of felt like it was not the national think these were some great games last night. Louisville Syracuse was not one of them. But I think the more that they keep succeeding and the more it gets talked about, the more people are going to think, like, hey, Pat Kelsey's in his first year, guy from Charleston, good coach, but he had to build a team from scratch. They had no momentum. I know Louisville's great, but like Pat deserves all the credit, but man, how did they get so bad? How did they end up in that position where they won twelve games in two years? And then you know, it's like people I rarely hear it, but occasionally you'll see somebody on Twitter, and in fact, we've had a text or we've had a caller mention it. Why you keep bringing up Kenny Payne. He's part of the story, guys, he is, I mean, he's part of He's gone. But like, one of the reasons why Louisville fans feel so great about Pat Kelsey winning here and you know, giving you some momentum is because of what happened with Kenny Payne being here. It wouldn't feel as special, this would be normal, this would just be I mean, in fact, in let's go back ten years. If Louisville's results ten years ago were exactly what we have right now, you know what we're doing. We're probably bitching. We're probably talking about how you were just beating all the teams were supposed to beat and yet we ain't beat anybody when it comes to Kentucky Duke and you know Tennessee like that cause that that was where we were then. We're not there now. So you know, the reason why this feels so great is because of how bad things were in the previous two years. And you know who was responsible for that was Kenny Payne. So I don't think a nobody's going out of their way to like bag on him, but like the scenario where Louisville is in this position with this kind of turnaround and fans energized and excited at this level in Pat's first you know, the first half season that he's been here. Kenny's a part of that, like, and it's also a large It's puzzling that Louisville was ever as bad as they were to people that didn't experience it every day like we did. So like, you know, I think Syracuse was a factor. Like last night, I feel like the Kenny Payne stuff just like it felt. It felt like fans of Louisville and even others watching those reacting to it were thinking to themselves, Man, how bad could Kenny Payne have been? And again, like I get it, and we all know the answer to that, he was really bad. But Syracuse, I don't know if others noticed it. I did get some feedback when I tweeted it out, and I didn't tweet it out when I wanted to. I waited because I knew that if I tweeted out that Kenny Payne, because let's be real, Syracuse looked a lot like Louisville under Kenny Payne, they they're already better, Like they already have eight wins this year. Like he did well in his first year there at least, you know, he didn't do well, but he did great compared to what he's doing now. So nobody is ever going to be as bad as Kenny was as far as leading college basketball program. That's a fact. So with that said, I don't want to insult Syracuse to that to that extent, but they got dudes on that team. They got dudes that can play. Now, Louisville deserves credit for taking those guys away. But like they went through the motions last night as a team, Syracuse did with that thing got down that they were down thirty points at one point. That was very similar to what we watched, and it was kind of a weird thing to to, you know, from I can only speak for myself as a fan, but I'm watching and I'm loving seeing Louisville just completely take advantage of a lifeless team like Syracuse. But it also gave me a little bit of PTSD because that was that was a sad experience. That was that was awful. We all know that, but man, it's nice to be on the right side of something like that happening. And the comparison I'm making here with Q's looking like Louisville under Kenny Paine is that they're not. There's no scenario that that team like would ever be great, but they're not even close to getting what you should be able to get out of the personnel that they have. And here we have on our end, I think Pat Kelsey is absolutely maximizing every bit of what you can get out of this current situation with these players. And it's not just like, hey, he's got a bunch of rudies out there, but he's he's maximizing what he has to work with, and these guys are getting better and getting more comfortable and coaching matters. We all know that, We've always known that, but last night was just another reminder of it. And I didn't say this to be critical. And I'll expand on the other side and give some more I mean, I don't have any really belated thoughts on it, but I guess I'll clarify. But it like last night watching Syracuse be what they were and Louisville just take advantage of it and kick their ass It's just crazy to me to think that currently Louisville is paying more money for Kenny Payne not to coach this season than they're paying Pat Kelsey. That's not it. I'm just saying that's wild to process. I'm not being critical. Pat came in on the contract that made sense given where Louisville was. They made a costly mistake in Kenny Payne, so they don't have the ability to make another costly mistake, so they gave Pat a contract that didn't pay him nearly what other coaches here had been paid. But make no mistake about it, He's gonna get paid here. I mean, I can't imagine that he won't. I don't know when, but it'll happen. Speaking of Kenny Payne, you know where he's at now, Arkansas and they are dead last in the SEC. There's a lot. I mean, it's been louder about Cal being a bomb in Arkansas than it's ever been this season because again they keep losing. And I can sense a slight level of anxiety because Kentucky wins last night. They're great, but I know some Kentucky fans are already thinking, like, we can't beat Cal's first SEC went at Arkansas, and that game's coming up in two weeks, and I don't think it'll happen because Arkansas stinks. Kentucky's really good, but it would also be you know, it'd be a real bad look. It wouldn't mean anything. You're still probably gonna be good regardless long term with Pope, but that would give cal some great satisfaction. Then I know you don't want to give him, so again, we're loaded the rest of the way. I'll quit yap and we'll go to break. It's coffee and Company, feel Abu thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: This is just a good song, but I feel like the chorus there it had had It doesn't really seem like a Pat Kelsey vibe, but obviously the chorus would be very fitting if in fact, you know, he gets a new contract.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: We talked a lot of bits yesterday, and I know you weren't here, Austin, but louisvill has never been in a position where they had to worry about somebody coming after their coach because nobody's ever thought that they could get Rick Bettin over Denny Crumb because of obvious reasons. Rick, I mean, why would he go to another college in Lead Louisville whenever He's got everything he needs and he was really successful. And then with Denny, I mean, Denny turned down UCLA whenever wouldn't retired. That was the sign he's not going anywhere. So I'm not worried about it now. And i didn't mean to put it out there. As far as Kenny Payne currently this year making more money not to coach than Pat is making to coaches. If somebody did something wrong, I mean, to be fair, Yeah, somebody did something wrong. They hired Kenny Payne. But you can do about it now. It sucks. And as I've said, as critical as I was about Kenny and how that all worked out, and how there were some signs that maybe you shouldn't do that hard for me to be overly nasty about the decision to hire him, Whenever, if I was in the position making that decision, which I never would be certainly not qualified, I probably would have done the same thing because at that time you weren't going to be able to get a name that we were floating out there, and I was willing to take a shot on Kenny because maybe he would be this guy that was waiting for a bit opportunity that could recruit at a really high level and develop players. And then we learned that he's actually somebody that is the most unqualified person at any level to be a head coach, and that played out right in front of our eyes every day. And again, I don't say this to be funny, because it's not funny. This is not me being a smart ass. I'm being genuine when I say this. I greatly appreciate Kenny Payne's consistency because there was really never at any point that we didn't see things on a daily basis almost that told us this guy's not qualified to run this program. And it isn't, you know, outside of just the winning and losing like he didn't, it just was, I mean, it was the guy was not qualified, and you know, louisvill learned that the hard way, and you know, people make mistakes and you got to move on from it. And with that costly mistake, I think that's why Pat Kelsey came in on a lower contract than anybody's had at Louisville than a long time. And I think that's also a factor in why you see ticket sales being what they are, because you know that was that was a costly mistake. And I mean that you know there's no pun intended. It's when I say costly, I mean it was a financial desas you're still paying Mac right now, you're paying Kenny Payne, and you're paying Pat Kelsey. I mean that's not ideal, but you know nothing you can do about it but move forward. So I imagine Josh Hurd will do right by Pat Kelsey whenever he feels like he needs to and contract extensions. Let me ask you this, if I'm just curious to see what kind of reaction we get from listeners fans of Louisville, I should say text line or phones five O two I have seven one seventy nine hundred is a number. If you guys want to give us a call, you can text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Unied text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. If they gave Pad an extension today and gave him more money, would would anybody be bothered by? I mean, would anybody feel like, uh oh, we're gonna regret this later. And I'm asking genuinely because right now things are going great. I feel like to see what he's been able to do in this first season in this situation, I mean, it's a great early return on your investment, and you feel like right now you got it right. Things could obviously change, and who knows what the future holds, but I just feel like it would be, you know, if they did it. And I'm not saying they have to, and trust me, I'm not bringing this up because I'm trying to put like pressure on you of all to do it. I just I kind of feel like if they did it, nobody'd be bothered. But I'm not saying it's necessary. As we speak, I mean, the season hasn't ended yet. Things are going really great right now. I doubt Pat's sitting around thinking, I hope I get a call from my agent letting me know that that Josh is renegotiating a new deal. But again, if they did, I wouldn't necessarily be shocked because I mean, I think Josh heard again. As much as there's criticism for him making the decision to hire Kenny, and I'll give Josh a lot of credit. He fell on the sword and wanted it to be clear that it was my decision. I did it, and that is true, but we all mean, I know that there were factors at play that also were you know, involved in that whole thing. You know, I mean, he was at a tough spot, and you know, as I said, if I was in the position. Again, I'm not qualified, but if I was him, I would have probably done the same thing, and I would have you know, it would have been a mistake on mi nd as well, and most people probably you know, there were a lot of people bringing up the fact that you would never hire a guy that had never been a head coach before, and you know, that's a legitimate point. I made that point when they hired Mike and people were talking about Kenny. I just don't think you can at Louisville do that. But they did it, and I got it as far as I understood why, understood the circumstances, understood the timing of it. But clearly it was a mistake and we learned the hard way, and you know, it sucked, but now we're heading in the right direction. So just like I'm not you know, I'm not qualified clearly to be an athletic director making these decisions. There's things that fans and I'm a fan, so I'm talking about myself that like, we don't even really we just want to win. Man, we care so bad about this program. We've gone through so much in recent years with the program just being so bad in a way we never thought possible to where we're just thinking like, look, let's get back on track. Let's go get a winner, let's go get a name, let's just let's just let's get this thing turned around. And the quickest way to do that is, of course, get rid of Kenny. But then it comes to who's next, who you're going to hire. And Josh clearly saw something in Pat Kelsey that I think others would see it too if it was highlighted, like if you said, hey, this guy, he's got the energy, he's got the enthusiasm. He really will take the resources this vehicle that is Louisville basketball, and he'll navigate it as good as anybody because he's got all those intangibles and he'll get fans excited. Because he's got that kind of personality, he's got that kind of energy about him. We all would have said, yeah, that's cool. But I think what's played out up to this point as of January fifteenth, what I'm seeing is that you know, Josh clearly knew what that would do and how that would impact us more so than we did. Because you could give us a different coach and maybe they have the same results. Right, Maybe you bring in Dusty May and you're in the same boat with the same record, same situation. Maybe it's Josh Shirtz, maybe it's Scott Drew. Pat's part of this. The component that is hit Pat Kelsey, the charisma that he has, the appreciation for the program, the humble vibes that he gives, Like that's an added element that at the end of the day, winning and losing is what we care about most. But man, Pat has added a certain layer here that has made this more enjoyable. And I think Josh Share deserves a lot of credit because his job is to get Louis of Basketball back on track and to win. But you know, right now, Louisvell's record, it's great. Like I don't want to act like I'm discrediting their success because I'm loving it. It is awesome. I didn't think they'd be here whenever they lost case in prior and then they got blown out by Ole Miss, Like I knew they could potentially be better than that showing, but like they've exceeded what I ever expected to be what this team is. So you know, I'm not acting like they're not playing really good basketball and firmly positioning themselves to be safely in the tournament. But that was a really long disclaimer to make it clear that, like, I think they're great, but their record's not crazy great, Like they're not off to like an eleven and one start or something like that, but they're they're playing hard. They are a reflection of the guy on the sidelines and on our fan base. We eat that stuff up more so than anybody, I feel like, maybe not anybody, but more so than most. And with that said, I mean, we'll never know and when it comes to that, right hypotheticals that will never have any clarity on Like it's sometimes stilly to even go there, but I don't I think if you had to get in the same situation, and it's one of those guys I mentioned, I don't think you're getting anywhere close to the amount of people showing up for games the way you are. And I say that well aware that we're still nowhere close to twenty thousand like we used to have. So like there's a Kelsey element here that isn't you know. What he brings to the table has been a factor in this team being able to get the results they're getting right now. But I think there was just clearly more there's more interest and I guess just excitement because of the way he goes about it. I mean, here, I am glazing over the guy like he's the most perfect coach of all time.
Speaker 4: But he is.
Speaker 3: He's he's perfect for us right now and I'm enjoying it. Man, I really really am been awesome. All right, real quick, before we go to the phone lines, if you're on hold, stick with us. I promise you we'll get to you guys in just a second. But I do want to share this this stat just because you know, it's it's awesome and just another sign that Louisville basketball is getting, you know, getting back to uh to where to where they belong. Right now, Louisville has won let's see, they have six road games left this season. This is courtesy of Kelly Dickey. Louisville has won more road games this season, which is four, than they did the past three seasons combined, which is three. And again that speaks to how bad those three seasons were, of course, but still like they're going on the road and winning and I know the AC sees down, but I don't give a damn. It keeps getting mentioned and I'm not gonna tell anybody they're wrong, but like I want to, I want to get a tattoo on my forehead for mostly just douguess triggered UK fans that are bothered by Louisville's excitement. I know the A c C sucks be a weird tattoo, right, but I'm need to do it. You got a guy Austin who does your ink. Actually you're clean, aren't you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I do not you have you just have a ton of piercings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've always How did you know? Is that what we talked to?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that why? Like I've heard people, I never understood the reference, but I've heard people call you Albert before. Is that now? I get it? Now? I totally prince. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I've always wanted a tattoo, but I've always I've always kind of been a mama's boy too. My mom just hates tattoos.
Speaker 3: Awesome. I'm not anti tattooed by any means, because, like I think people who some people look a tattoos look great on people. I just know they wouldn't look great on me. And there's nothing I would win on my body forever.
Speaker 2: So like I don't live by like a Bible verse or any like moral code or nothing in my life has happened drastically where I need one just yet. But I'm not rolling out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I dad I'll ever get one, but who knows, who knows? Maybe maybe maybe I changed my mind. All right, let's go to the phone lines. Cody, Cody, welcome into Sports Talk seven ninety. How you doing, sir?
Speaker 5: Hey Nick, what's happening, buddy? I got two quick things and I want to hang it. I think that offered him a five to six year contract extension, I mean I warranted, But the way he's consuming the gas and how quickly he's got the team together is I mean, more than we can ever ask for. Honestly, at this point, I would be more surprised if they didn't make the tournament than if they did and if you were told me that at the beginning of the season, I would have told you were crazy. I mean, from those this is the old miss and Tennessee and the way they've been playing, he's been getting the gas to get this point. I would absolutely a contract extension is warranted. And more thing, Nick than I got my promise. I'm rambling here. You got me going again. Do you think that if they don't offer him a contract extension, do you see some of these? I know there's not many per se bigger jobs, bigger job waspening at like maybe like at a North Carolina or something like that. Pat Kelsey could be one of those coaches the program later for him, the bad offer him money to Hey, he would you maybe you're you're you go be going, buddy. I want to hang up and lift thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you weren't rambling, my man, and that's always good to hear from you. But the phone was kind of cut. There would be like a stretch where I'm like, all right, he's good, he's he's now no longer losing signal or whatever it was, and then it would kind of revert back. But I think your question was if if Pat Kelcey like, if Louisvill didn't give him a new contract with one of these schools, I think, right now, maybe this is just me being biased. He has shown to have things that are really really valuable right now in college sports. The ability to motivate, he's relatable. He has seems to have really good relationships and communication with his players to where again they're they're a reflection of him, they're buying in and they're also making money in an il. So I think he he if he has a really great run here and they finished, I don't know, maybe go to the sweet sixteen. I just instantly would think no, who would call and think they can take Louisvill's coach? But until he gets a new contract, you would you would think that. My guess is that they'll understand that Louisville will will you know, will do what they got to do to keep him, and maybe that wouldn't make him somebody that they would go after. So when it comes to extensions, like a lot of times they're not like there's been so many extensions down the line that people look back and say, wow, why did we do that? Who was gonna hire him? That wasn't necessary, and there's plenty of examples of that. So I guess what it comes down to for me is like, is there a scenario where, like two three years, we think, oh, my goodness, can you believe we gave him that new contract and now we're stuck with him? Like, I don't see that happening, But you really never know. But when it comes down to somebody just deciding, hey, I'm gonna I'm gonna go give you more money, it's usually because they think you're gonna leave. They think somebody else is gonna come and get you. So my guess is that if they have the strong finish that I hope they have, it'll just be a restructured deal. He will add more time, it will be more years at it, and he'll make more money and we won't have to worry about it anybody. I'm not worried at all about him being here long term. It's just an interesting situation because he's off to such a great start, and if that continues, we will be in a position to where, I mean again, I'm not faulting anybody, but we would be in a position where, for the first time ever, as Louisville basketball fans, we sit and think we need to make sure we pay our coach, because if not, somebody's going to come and try to get him if he stays at that price. My thing is, I don't see a scenario where Louisville commits to keeping him at his said price if he continues to win, because you get what you pay for, and he is. I mean, he's making a lot more money than he ever made at Charleston. There's no doubt about that. He's making a lot of money. He's making a lot more money than you, and I'm sure, but this job, when it's done well and things are going great, it pays a lot more than what he's making now, and everybody knows that, and he knows that. So you know, I hate even having the conversation, and it's my fault out through it out there, But it just fascinates me because I think fans right now would be totally fine if he got a new deal that locked him in long term, that included some big buyout and we may learn years down the road that was a mistake, but so far, I mean, he's been that impressive. So I talked about it a lot yesterday, and I don't want to regurgitate too much from what was on the show just to day ago. But with schools now having to put the bill for revenue sharing and whatnot, that's just going to have an impact on decisions like this, right, getting coaches more money just because you know they're doing well. But if anybody's deserved it, I would say that it is Kelsey at this point. But again I'm also not going to be like my guess would be that if they continue to play well, he will have a new contract at the end of the season, and everything's great and we're celebrating it. But like he also if he got one next week or two weeks from now, I mean, I can't say I'd be stunned. Probably not a probable thing to happen, but he's got a lot of momentum and it's been fun. All right, we got to get to a break. We'll come back on the other side. Get back to your phone calls, Jerry. I'll be up next on the other side. So if you're on hold, stick with us, give a lock right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: I do want to talk about Arkansaw's awful start to the Caliperi era. I guess Cali Perry's awful start at Arkansas's what I should say, because I enjoy seeing it in a weird way, because Kenny Payne is the coach there. I kind of like that. I don't. I mean, maybe that makes me a bitter you know, bitter whatever, Petty, I don't care. I'm enjoying watching Arkansas suck. But when they come in to play Kentucky at the beginning of February, I think it's February first. Well, Kentucky should be big favorites there. But man like, if they lose that one, it probably won't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. But Kentucky fence cannot lie and act like it'll just be whatever. That'll be a tough one to take, but they shouldn't because they're clearly better. All right, let's go back to the phone lines here to finish up the three o'clock hour. If I go to five seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call, Let's go to Jerry. Jerry, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety what's happened? Hey, Nick?
Speaker 4: He keeps throwing out subjects that I want to talk about too, And it's not even the reason I came. I'll give you a cal real quick. The reason call I've I've been communicating a live with people on Twitter and stuff Arkansas people, and I keep saying his biggest downfall is not shaking up his stay. If he's got a bunch of yes man there, they're dead.
Speaker 3: They're dead weight, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 4: Now, now I'll say this cal, I was. I was looking forward to him going there knocking it out of the park because I thought it'd be funny for all the Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Fans that I am here.
Speaker 4: But he he ruined that when he hired Kenny Payne. He ruined that for me. Because now I'm.
Speaker 3: With you, I didn't know what I would do. But as it's played out, Jerry, I'm like, yeah, this is awesome to see both those guys losing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, here's the deal, okay, Uh, I didn't call about the Kelsey contract. By getting my thoughts real quick, I think Josh heard. You know, he's got to act, and I don't know how quickly he has to act. But he's also got to be physically responsible. Sure, And and here's what I here's what I wish a d S would do. Like, here's what I wish Kelsey would accept. And I wish he heard would offer a heavy, heavy salary and a low low buyout in case things go crazy. You know, I think that's the way you got to go. You know, you see these bows and you just scratch your head and you go, what the hell are we doing? You know? But you know, we are not that far removed from nor Waterman bailing us out against Eku.
Speaker 3: Yep, and man, how does that look now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So oh it's huge, so real quick your KP comment, I can't believe that you said you would have hired him too. I never thought that. Never he was He was from the cow tree and that was enough right there to say. And he never had been a head coach. He was never willing to go out there. And it's like I used to say, he was never willing to bet on himself. I wanted the fat salary.
Speaker 3: You were right, that was wrong.
Speaker 4: Okay, So so anyway, the thoughts on the team, real quick, very excited. Uh, Kelsey, I'm right now, I'll give him a nine out of ten. I mean, uh yeah, Q stinks and the A C C stinks. But you know what we're doing. We're going up, We're not and having e ku scorers. We're crushing some of these teams. You know, we're burying them, and you know we're shooting a higher percentage. Blah blah blah We're doing. But I will say this, after case in Pryor got hurt, I was crushed. I thought, Man, it's not gonna it's not gonna happen year. And the job they have done is unbelievable. I'm cautiously optimistic. I still go into every game looking at it as a fifty to fifty. I know the other day on the show, you said that a lot of them on the ESPN percentages is like fifty two to forty eight. We're a favorite, but we're not a heavy favorite, you know. And so another thing real quick, Syrahcuse and IU, they both last night were so similar to where we've been.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you saw the pictures of IU students section after halftime.
Speaker 3: I saw the clip of them yelling fire woodson. That was I mean, that's not that surprising, I guess, but I mean that, I mean that was allowed. I mean there was a lot of people all on board with it. As they were getting embarrassed on their home floor, they.
Speaker 4: Emptied out of there. And there's a picture on Twitter that's unbelievable. There's not i mean the top fifty rows, there's one guy sitting there. But the hires they've made, alumni hires just typically do not work. Brom's working pretty good, but besides that, it just seems like it's not working.
Speaker 3: If you're hiring a guy and the biggest component as to why you're hiring him is because of the connection that I've learned Jerry, that that seems to be the red flag right with Brom. We would have hired him if he didn't coach here because he was doing well at Purdue, and he also would have never come to Louisville had he not played here. But I think that's what's played out, is like Kenny, nobody else was going to hire Kenny, but we did. Right, Nobody else from the college game was going to hire Woodson, but they did. And not to say those guys didn't have at least something on the resume. Kenny never been a head coach Woodson had never coached in college. But what was the biggest factor in their decision was that they went there. And again, I think when you really evaluate, and that's where I go back to, you were right, I was wrong. You know, Kenny had never been on himself and there it was a risk. It was a huge risk at a time where you didn't really want to take a big risk having a guy leads your program who had never done the job before. So, yeah, the hires because guys have that connect. If that's the strongest component to you wanting to hire them, that should tell you all you need to know.
Speaker 4: A couple more things I'll get off here. I appreciate the time. Okay, yesterday you somebody texted in and you talked about last year's team for a second, and you touched on Mike James. Mike James has not played this year, really is not played. He is not played for NC State, And Dennis Evans has not played for Grand Canyon either. I knew that deep dive on that. I did a deep dive on that whole team yesterday. The only guys that are starting consistently are Trey White and Sky Clark. Everybody else, even even Caleb Glenn, who's doing great. He's coming off the bench, but most of the guys are not starting hurt. He's hurt.
Speaker 3: I was looking at his numbers. It's from last year, not this year. Thank you for Clark correcting me.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping he gets a red shirt because I like Mike James. But anyway, one more thing. Did you see did you see where the kid from Vandy last night had his first turnover of the season. He's played over three hundred minutes. His name's Tyler Tanner. He's got thirty three assist and one turnover.
Speaker 2: I just that shout out to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 4: Is unbelievable, you know. So that's all I got, buddy.
Speaker 3: Thank appreciating, appreciate it, Jerry. Good to hear from you. Yeah, thirty three assist in one turnover. That's that's very impressive. And it'd be different if he didn't play a lot he does. He's averaging seven points a game, so impressive, no doubt. Now when it comes to the you know, when it comes to Josh Hurd and you know, the fiscal resp Like the reason I keep talking about it, I've done it two straight days, is not because like I'm I'm thinking somebody messed up and didn't give Kelsey more money when he signed on. It's not because I'm thinking, as we sit here today and he doesn't have a new contract, somebody's did something wrong. I just find it fascinating because this is an unusual spot for Louisville fans to feel like, all right, we got to cut the check because we know we're paying less than we typically do one because Pat was going to get a big rais jumping from Charleston to Louisville, but also because of the costly mistake that was made with KP. So I'm just fascinate to see how it plays out. I believe firmly that it'll play out where he gets a new deal at some point and he's here as long as he wants to be here, if he continues to have success. But it's just, you know, unfamiliar territory, I guess, but that should be expected to give it the fact that the territory we were in the last couple of years. Same thing, all right, we got to run two more hours left though, And I do want to talk about Indiana kind of where they go, and I rarely can say I told you so, and I guess I can't really do that yet, but I felt like last night was going to be either a blowout loss for Indiana that sends them in a level of toxicity they've not experienced yet under MIKEA. Woodson, or they were going to get a win to kind of confirm that despite sort of a worse start than they expected, they can still be pretty good. But they ended up getting blown out, and like, Woodson's got to be done at the end of the year, I mean, right, I mean, in fact, I he's kind of at a level now where their decision to bring him back in it already working out pretty poorly right now. It wouldn't be a crazy thing if they fired in midseason, just because they're in a position now where they need fans to not be as dejected as they are, because clearly there were some fans that thought Woodson shouldn't have been back this year. He did come back. He built a really good team as far as talent, but he's not leading it. And when they get beat, they get blown out, they just roll over Louisville. Louisville did it to him just a month or two ago. Whenever it was and here they are again. Once they hit adversity and they play good teams, they get bent over. All right, quick break will come back. Two more hours left right here on Sports Talk seven ninety