Speaker 1: Cal Poly is in session. Students swarm through campus and file in and out of classes. You're thinking about the chapter reading they have tonight, their next class, their new dorm, their senior project, how to get to the gym, what's for dinner tonight? Where's in yours bathroom? Kate and I know things can get a bit chaotic as a student navigating the ins and outs of college life.
Speaker 2: At cal Poly. We focus on learning by doing, but sometimes you don't know what to do well. Emma and I are here to answer your who, what, when, where, why, and how's here? On CP one oh one Learned by Listening, presented by KCPR ninety one point three.
Speaker 1: Hi Mustang, I'm Emma Hughes, a third year English student, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Kate Lopenski, a third year journalism student here at cal Poly, and we're here to share our tell all guide on how to survive and thrive at cal Poly San Luis Obispo. So grab a notebook you may want to write this down. Welcome to CP one oh one. How to Celebrate Valentine's Day. This romance Field Day is fast approaching, so we obviously need to fill you in on all the fun things you can do on the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Whether you're spending the day with a significant other or a group of friends, or even alone, there's plenty you can do to embrace the day.
Speaker 2: And then I will walk you through the dating scene here and slow. What you can do with the partner, what you can do with the group, what gifts you can give, and maybe provide a story or two from our own experiences.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Kate, I thought it would be pretty fun to start this episode off with going over the history of Valentine's Day. Do you know any of the history?
Speaker 2: I don't, but you're gonna have to make this exciting because I do have history class starting at two today. So if you're gonna tell me some history, it better be like legit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'll keep it interesting, I'll keep it fun, amazing. So we all know a little bit about the story of Saint Valentine, who he was a priest, imprisoned, fell in love, and at this time that's hot. Yeah, that's hot. Yeah except you got executed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, never mind, So it has its limits. Okay, yep.
Speaker 1: But before Saint Valentine was a thing, there was this fun little festival called lupercalia a festival, a festival, and this was all about celebrating fertility, sex life, you know, all the fun things a girly should celebrate on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Why weren't we alive during the percalia? Turned up?
Speaker 1: The one little thing that might make this story a little less appealing is the sacrifice of a goat. Oh yeah, so they would sacrifice a goat and then cut its hide into strips and dip it in blood and slap the women with it.
Speaker 2: Oh like actually like slap yeah with blood. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it was like a fun, little like decoration for the day, and it was supposed to bring fertility and be.
Speaker 2: Like fun, cute and quirky. I guess so is that where like the pink and red colors?
Speaker 1: You know, maybe, yeah, some things definitely stuck around, but you know what, Okay, sacrifice, it's just like witchy girl activities.
Speaker 2: Like it has to happen, you know.
Speaker 1: So, now that we've gone over a little bit of the history of Valentine's Day, I just thought would be a fun, little cute thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, get into the episode. Yeah, and we're just gonna complain about like how single we are. Update Kate and I are actually very much single, so single. But you know what, coaches don't play no exactly. We do this for you for our listeners, the best advice, and we're just so selfless and so giving that you're going to give you everything that you need for this Valentine's Day. Yeah yeah, okay, So the big question is the one that we're still asking ourselves, is where do you find Valentine? Yes, so I have to be honest.
Speaker 1: As an English major here at cal Poly, everyone in my classes, they're primarily female, and unfortunately I'm straight and so my options are very limited. But I do partake in a dating app here or there, so.
Speaker 2: Oh, me too, don't be ashamed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, it's the nature of college life, and the dating apps here definitely vary. I have I currently have Tinder and Hinge.
Speaker 2: Me too, but like I don't use Tender. Tender is more of a game.
Speaker 1: I just like to like peruse the people, but the second someone messages me, I'm like, mmm, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Tinder is like having a huge menu like at the cheesecake factory. Like it's just so intimidating because there's so many people. Right, It's all pretty like surface level as well. Yeah, yeah, whereas Hinge that's my that's my thing. See, Hinge actually has prompts where it's like, what are you up to?
Speaker 1: What's your favorite thing? Like two truth and a lie, so you get to know people a little bit more. On Hinge, it just feels more of an app dedicated towards longevity versus Tinder, which I I would definitely say is a lot more hookup culture and just like finding a booty call for the night, which no shame, but you do you, Yeah, like maybe that's what you want on Valentine's Day, get frisky.
Speaker 2: Honestly, there's an idea. Yeah, And then I know a few people that also use bumble. Yeah I've never used it myself, but I feel like I've heard that, Like the woman has to initiate first, yes, conversation, so that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it has to be mutual match. And then once you've matched, the woman has I think like twenty four hours to send a message and initiate that. So it's very much like you have to decide if this is something you like, someone you want to talk to, someone you want to figure things out with. I haven't tried Bumble, but definitely a good option.
Speaker 2: And I mean, like, all I can say about dating apps is like, don't be ashamed. It doesn't hurt to try. Like this is how we're meeting each other in this day and age, and it's not bad if you feel like you have to download one in order to get yourself out there. I think it's a great step.
Speaker 1: Also, just for like working on communicating with someone who, like you, potentially have a romantic interest in like, it definitely helps to you know, figure out what you like to talk about. Do you want to talk about yourself? Do you have questions that you want to ask your partner? Just kind of navigating that scene. It can sometimes be easier to do it online versus in person.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but if in person is more of your jam, there's so many different places that you can meet someone, Like, for example, class, I mean, you could always just turn over to the person next to you if they're looking kind of cute, ask for help on the homework. And it's always good to have an in class crush.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I make sure to like designate a person in each of my classes because I'm like, I gotta keep things interesting. I need to show up have someone who are like, ooh hello.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this quarter is so boring because I don't have one. Oh it's so sad. I see, I just pick anyone.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you are the person I'm trying to I have no actual attachment to them. Yeah, I'm like, I'm showing up for you because I can't be shown up for class.
Speaker 2: It's just not worth it. Okay. And then for all of our freshmen out there, and the dorms are great or transfer student second years living in PCV or Sarah even some apartments, Yeah, exactly Mustang Village. I know.
Speaker 1: Mustang Village definitely offers like a dorm like feel, and there's people just milling about all the time.
Speaker 2: It's that like proximity thing. Yeah, just there so you run into them all the time. Yeah, it's just convenient. Again, why do I not live by any like people? What?
Speaker 1: See, my group of friends live in Mustang Village, So I'm there on the weekends and I know all their neighbors and I'm like, hey.
Speaker 2: Like, how you doing? Like I see all the time. What's the vibe?
Speaker 1: So just having that proximity of like people there one thing I would maybe caution don't get too entangled in like dormzest or like anything like that, because I remember my freshman days when everyone was dating everyone within the week and then things changed and hearts were broken and it can get pretty messy. So make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
Speaker 2: But if handled well, it can turn out absolutely amazing. Okay. And then in the other place's parties, yes, this can be a little bit difficult because it allowed music and there's just so much chaos and like it can be over stimulating sometime, but you know, this is one of those scenes where you just have to be ford. If you see someone that catches your eye, you have to walk up to them.
Speaker 1: It's also almost less pressure in a way because everyone's there to party, everyone's there to have a good time. So it's like you would just feeling the moment, like you always have that excuse to back out and be like, you know what, like I just thought you were a really cool person, Like this is the space to be social and ask those kind of questions.
Speaker 2: So exactly, I like what you're saying about how yeah, it's expected, so it's not as scary, right, yeah, So keep that in mind. And then my last one is mutual friends. Oh I've been like demanding all of my friends set me up. Please. Yeah, no one yet they I'm like, guys, put in the work, please do it for me. Don't you want to see me happy? Yeah? I mean honestly, I'm vibein. I'm chill right now. But this is great because then you have someone who is vetted. Yes, yeah, you have like the friends, a sponsor, Yeah, a little sponsor going in and like, I know my friends. I trust my friends and so and your friends know you, so they know what you're looking for. So if this is an option, this is something to definitely look into. Yes, definitely one to consider. Okay, so before we get into talking about fun things that you can do on Valentine's Day, I wanted to quickly talk a little bit about mmg's newest publication, this magazine in the Peak, which is so exciting. There's actually some really fun like ideas that like you could apply towards Valentine's Day. Like, for example, there's a page where it talks about different meals from Truder Joe's that you can make.
Speaker 1: Yes, it gives you the recipe, the how to and like Trader Joe's is already an amazing place to go to for Valentine's activities, so definitely want to check out the Peak for that. There's also I think a little sound quiz in there. Yeah, there's what's your sound like? What type of music do you like? Yeah, and that's a good thing to figure out for Valentine's Day because you know, maybe you want to party, maybe you want to blossom tunes. So definitely go check out the Peak.
Speaker 2: Okay, So again, I'm so single, so I feel like sometimes I like don't have the ability to talk on this, but I do have a roommate who is so not single. Her and her boyfriend have been together for about three years now. They're going on their third Valentine's Day together and they met in the dorms so that it can work out. It can work. They're adorable, they're great together. They're also English majors, so they're near and dear to my heart. Yeah, exactly. And so this Valentine's Day they're having a sushi picnic, which is so easy and so simple and so cute. Yeah, like and just one of the fun activities to do, just spending some quality time with your partner. You know, eating good food that you like, go to a fun little place. Do you know where they're going for the picnic? Not exactly sure yet. I just know that they love sushi, Like their thing to do together is go and get sushi.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe they'll be by the beach and do like a full fishy night for Valentine's Day. So, although Kate and I are very much single, we have done our research on some fun activities that you can do around Slow for your Valentine's Day. So obviously there's like restaurants that you can go to. There's plenty to check out around Slow. You have some that are maybe like a little more upscale, some that are fun, but anywhere you go. Definitely, just having a romantic evening with a partner at a restaurant is always a classic go to for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like if you're gonna go romantic, you do Giuseppi's. But I feel like you have to book that like a month out, yeah, because that place is gonna be popping on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: But there's some other fun activities happening around Slow. You can always look for a concert or a comedy show. I know that Slow Brew is having a fun little concert the night before Valentine's Day, I think, or maybe the night after, but definitely just go check out what's happening. I also know Asi here for cal Poly is doing a make a bouquet event the day before, so that also touches on like a good gift for someone potentially, So definitely just like peruse some of the things that are happening.
Speaker 2: There are so many things you can do, and it doesn't have to be that expensive. I mean, what matters most is just spending time with a person. And like I feel like thought is the number one thing that should go into these little celebrations and activities. You just want to make sure that you're thinking about your partner, your friends, or yourself.
Speaker 1: So kay, I'm curious now that we've touched on some of the fun things you can do, what would you do? What would be your ideal date for Valentine's Day?
Speaker 2: The way that I think about this all the time because I'm a Pisces, I like today dream Yes, me too, Yeah, me too, Yeah I know, I know. So the dream absolute dream would to like be to go to a concert because I love concerts, or even a rave. I don't know, just like someone with a live music, something crazy, something fun, a little I wish, if only, but I would do that. And then Sidecar and Downtown Slow is such a fun play, such a great atmosphere. And I'm turning twenty one in March, so yeah, not before Valentine's Day. But Sidecar makes really really good mocktails, so it's like a little practice for down the road. You literally tell the mixologist what you like in a drink and they'll make it for you. Oh, perfect, super fun. Yeah, love that. I'll have to check that out. So yeah, music and drinks with the one you love sounds like a hoot and a half. Yes, it really does. Okay, yeah, what about you? I want to know?
Speaker 1: Okay, For Valentine's Day, I think it would be fun to go to like a classic like date idea and just do a movie, like just have a fun little movie night, whether that be going to a movie theater, staying at home, or even going to like the drive in here. I think saw is so lucky to have the Sunset drive in movie theater, and I really don't take advantage of it enough me either, But like, I feel like that would be such a fun date idea, especially for Valentine's Day, like cuddle up in a car with your significant other, watch a movie and just spend some time together. You know, bring some good snacks, maybe go to dinner before or after, and just hang out and watch a good film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds like so much fun. Yeah, and that's something anyone can do for their Valentine's Day exactly. In addition to celebrations, people also like to get each other gifts. So am, I was wondering if you have any gifts in mind or places they know that people can get their gifts from.
Speaker 1: For me specific, I'm a big advocate for a homemade gift, and I especially.
Speaker 2: For this holiday.
Speaker 1: Valentine's Day is all full of love and like it's about, you know, showing your love, and so I feel like making something for your significant other, whether that be like making them a special treat like cookies or a cake, or maybe making them a homemade Valentine's card, or even like doing a fun little making them a playlist or something. You know, like back in the old day, like I.
Speaker 2: May do a mix tape. You can still do that today.
Speaker 1: You can still like have fun with it and just Honestly, for me, anything homemade coming from the heart, you know, anything that took time and effort is really what you know, I would love.
Speaker 2: To see for Valentine's Day totally, Yeah you can't, Okay. So something so easy and so nice is just getting someone a bouquet of flowers, And Trader Joe's is actually a great spot to do this because the bouquets are so able. You can even get some for under five dollars. They're so pretty too, like you can definitely get some colorful ones, definitely, and who doesn't want flowers? I mean it's just like a nice, thoughtful gift exactly. And also I love to eat, so like away to the Heart is through food. I'm sure that like Slow Doco will be doing something for Valentine's Day, Like they'll probably have some like decorated donuts, so that's always a fun option. And then another thing I was thinking about is like kind of similar to like a Valentine's car, but more of like a heartfelt like love letter. I think that would be really nice or like a scrap book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you know, go with a classic and write someone a poem. Yeah, make it like really really fun and festive and do a little love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, write a sonnet. Don't make it too cheesy though, No, get cheesy, become Shakespeare. Okay, that would give me the ick though. Yeah, but like I think.
Speaker 1: It'd be funny. You you decide on your cheese level for this. But so those were some of our ideas for like you and a significant other, but for those who are single like am I, or those who would rather keep repeating it's like or single or remember that time we told you we were single.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's still We're still single. Yeah, nothing has happened in the past, but like half hour No.
Speaker 1: Anyways, if you are single or you would rather spend the holidays with your friends, there's still plenty out there for.
Speaker 2: You to do. Mm hmm so much so. Yeah. One of the ideas that you brought up was like a little singles party.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so like every single person that you know just gets together to mingle and just like all the singles in one room.
Speaker 2: Maybe you'll find someone. Should we set that up? I feel like we should.
Speaker 1: I'm down and I'm saying, like anyone that you know, like invite everyone exactly, because why not. But another idea is like a first date party where everyone in attendance has to bring someone as like their first date. And so I've talked about doing this with my friends because we're all on the dating apps, so like just going on like Hinge, Tinder, just texting someone and be like, hey, like I'm having a party tonight. It's like a singles party. Do you want to come? Do you want to like attend with me? And I think that could be fun because, like again, party environment has like a little bit less pressure, especially if you let them know, like we're having a like singles party where it's like everyone there is like on a first date, but you still get to mingle and you get to be around other people.
Speaker 2: So that's always a fun option. And then a lot of the activities that we talked about for couples before aren't necessarily for couples, and you can do these with your friends too. Like last Valentine's Day, my roommate and I went to the theater and saw the most recent magic mic and it was just filled. The theater was filled to the brim with girlies and everyone was just screaming at Channing Tatum and it was so much off. Oh exactly, exactly, Yes, So like, I personally love that because it just shows that like, no matter like what, if you just have a little plan, you can make Valentine's Day such a memorable and fun night because we still talk about it to this day because it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: One Also, like even just going out to dinner, like going to a restaurant, get dressed up, make it fun, go do your thing.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: Also on the line of food, you can always stay in and make some like heart shaped food, like I know me and my friends once made heart shaped pizzas. And like again Trader Joe's like sponsors please because we love you, Like you can buy their pizza dough and you can just roll that out. You can make it heart shaped. You can make pancakes heart shape, even a cake, you know, anything like get in the spirit, have some fun with it.
Speaker 2: And then if you're not necessarily looking to do something with food, you can always do crafts y, Yeah, just pick up some supplies. You can have like a paint night or drawing or whatever.
Speaker 1: Even like in elementary school, we used to make these mailboxes, yes for Valentines, and of course they were just like brown paper bags that you would decorate. But even something like as simple as that, and then write little personal Valentines for like anyone in your group and just like go around the room and deposit those into the mailbox. Like doing something fun like that is always a good way to spend your holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so fun. That's so nostalgic too. Real quick, I wanted to talk about what you can do if you're Ryan solo this Valentine's Day, because you can have the I think the Valentine's Day is the perfect time to have a self care night or self care day.
Speaker 1: Whatever you want, self love. It's still Valentine's spirit.
Speaker 2: So just go to the store, get a face mask, get some candles, I don't know, put on your favorite playlist, like just being super intentional with it too, so that it doesn't just it doesn't just seem like.
Speaker 1: Another night, right, or even like make yourself dinner, Like do something new and something exciting that's honoring you and like who you are, Honor your box, honor you know your mind.
Speaker 2: Do something that's just for you exactly because everyone listening to us right now, you're hot and you should celebrate that you how amazing you are. Yeah yeah mm hm, Well that's all the time we have for today. One last piece of advice.
Speaker 1: If you're single, hit us up, come slide into our DMS.
Speaker 2: Okay, are we gonna drop the user names?
Speaker 1: I mean I think you know where to find us. We're tagged on KCPR.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you really care, you'll beat the detective. You'll come find us, go stalk us, find us at KCPR. No, that's a good idea. Don't give it to them, No, make it work for it. Yeah, exactly. You know you want us, come get us. Yeah. Anyways, we'll be back with more tips and tricks next time on CP one on one. Learn by listening, and you can find us on any preferred streaming platform For the next episode.
Speaker 1: And to keep up to date with CP one on one and all KCPR podcasts, follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Spotify, TikTok, or Facebook at KCPR nine to one three.
Speaker 2: Or check us out out on KCPR dot org slash podcast. Signing off, I'm one of your favorite single girlies, Kate Lopensky, and I'm another single girlie, Emma Hughes. Thanks for keeping up with all things cal poly. H