Speaker 1: You ever heard of the scene in midtown Manhattan quite the happening place in the sixties. I mean, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendricks, a Fleetwood Mac, I mean this.
Speaker 2: Was the place to be.
Speaker 1: Of course, it was a flash in the pan most great clubs are. But it was when this space was being demolished in two thousand and three, when the workers demolishing the joint started hammering into a section of the basement and.
Speaker 2: A skull rolled out. That is where we kick off True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 3: The story is true. That's true.
Speaker 2: No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Garry and Shannon present true fun. Man.
Speaker 4: If you are a fan of those one thousand piece puzzles, this story feels like a five thousand piece puzzle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of different roads that would take you in different places.
Speaker 4: The pieces that fit in the wrong spots one of those kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Yes, a lot of sky pieces, lots of sky and clouds.
Speaker 4: Well, the scene, that club that you're talking about had been many things since the sixties.
Speaker 3: When it was shut down.
Speaker 4: There three oh one West forty sixth Street had several tenants. In some cases it was after the scene had closed and turned into a porn shop, a dive bar, and then a restaurant, and a restaurant was sort of the key that led to the discovery of a body. They were trying to put together a walk in freezer in the basement of this building in February of two thousand and three, and demolition was the whole thing. The construction workers noticed a raised concrete slab behind an aging coal furnace in the basement of this building, six feet wide, five feet long, a foot high.
Speaker 3: Didn't make any sense. Why why would it be there.
Speaker 4: One of the workers takes out a sledgehammer and smashes through the concrete and a human skull falls out.
Speaker 1: The cops arrive, they dig in. They find the bones of a girl lying in a fetal position, hands and feet bound together by an extension cord wrapped around her neck as well. She'd been wrapped up in a rust colored rug. At some point cement was poured on top of her. They knew she wore a size thirty two, a bra, clear pantyhose, a glittery frock. They recovered a ring with the initials p McK G, a watch issued in nineteen sixty six, a dime dated nineteen sixty nine and a plastic toy soldier.
Speaker 2: What a wild.
Speaker 1: You know, what do you call those tubes that you plant from years gone by?
Speaker 3: Micapsule?
Speaker 1: What a tie capsule of a crime scene? Right, like the fact that all of this was intact is wild. There was also DNA from an unknown source, possibly a white male, from a hair found in that rug.
Speaker 3: There were some red herrings.
Speaker 4: They now know they were red herrings in terms of the time your time capsule analogy. There there was a bag of rat poison that was found in that concrete slab that was believed to have been manufactured in nineteen seventy nine. There was a clothing label which wouldn't have appeared to exist before nineteen eighty eight. So they're trying to kind of backtime this and if they know the approximate age of this girl somewhere between sixteen and twenty one years old, they go back and kind of backdate and try to figure out when are they going to start looking through the missing persons reports. So they go back to nineteen fifty eight, that's where they started. Eventually they realized that that was going to be five years too late because those other later things that were discovered were just not actually part of the case that they were looking at.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, this is all discovered in two thousand and three, but still technology had not caught up nearly to how well it has caught up now, right. They did a lot of different tests on the DNA. The bones were too degradated at that time, degradated to go through and get any air answers from there. But the cold case unit took a look at this in twenty twenty one, and in twenty twenty three, the unit ran the DNA profile through CODIS, the National DNA database, and then they started using the familial genetic data.
Speaker 2: This is what we've talked about numerous times.
Speaker 1: It's how they tracked down the Golden State killer it has been used for iding.
Speaker 2: Jane Does as.
Speaker 1: Well, a veteran genetic genealogist who joined the NYPD on contract, was one of the ones who released sat down and poured through all of the DNA. She was the one who found the name in an obituary for a man named Bernard McLoone. This was after she kind of went through the profiles and intersected them her the familial DNA and found that there was one, there was a first cousin, and then there was a second cousin on there was a first cousin on the maternal side, second cousin on the paternal side. They kind of intersected all the data and found out the name Patricia Mclone and that was the one that kind of the only one that had both of those two people in their tree. And then they found the obituary for the guy, Bernard maclone.
Speaker 4: Okay, So once they get to that point and they've got a name for Patricia and they know who she was, they know what basically that she was born in nineteen fifty three, they then have to figure out how did she end up in that concrete slab and.
Speaker 1: She's sixteen at the time of her death murder, you would assume.
Speaker 2: Turns out she had a husband.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very weird.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about this dead girl for True Crime Tuesday. This young girl that was entombed basically in a concrete slab for decades, a hot club in the sixties that closed down. It was being demolished in two thousand and three, and they recover the bones of this girl and we're trying.
Speaker 2: To figure it out who was she?
Speaker 1: It wasn't until a couple years ago when they're running the familial DNA that they get this hit and they finally get a name on this girl. Now, was it a young girl who decided to go to one of the hot clubs in midtown maybe where there was the mafia involved? Maybe was her shady thirty two year old husband, what sixteen years old and she's got a thirty two year old husband. Yeah, there's a lot of ways this girl could have turned up dead, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Well, her mom and dad finger quotes had a pretty interesting life in that dad actually had two other families by the time he married Mom.
Speaker 2: Love a secret family.
Speaker 4: And try two of them. So there's a lot of mystery going into this girl's life. Early on the club itself, like we said, the scene, the last days were not great.
Speaker 3: Steve Paul was the owner.
Speaker 4: The bunch of people, including the mob, were coming in and demanding money for protection, et cetera. You know, we've seen that in multiple movies over the course of years. He predicted in nineteen sixty seven that the club was probably not gonna last. And this again is after the Doors had a regular residency there. Jimmy Hendrix would show up, Leonard Bernstein would walk through the halls. Every once in a while, record executives like Clive Davis would be there to try to catch a musical act before anybody else really saw it. Now it's not clear if nineteen seventy three is about when the scene closed down, if Steve Paul, the owner, knew anything about the teenage girl that was buried in the basement, and if he didn't.
Speaker 1: Somebody knew something. I mean, this girl was obviously coming from a troubled home. She may have had a teenage pregnancy. There was a fight over money between her dead father and the mother that remained. There was a brother involved trying to get his hands on the money, and so they still have no.
Speaker 2: Idea how this girl was killed. But still so many avenues.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you think you hear these stories and you think, oh, so it was the older husband or whatever that impregnated her when she was still in high school.
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was a girl who went out to the hot club and fell in with the wrong crowd. Maybe it was the guy who ran the club that was in trouble with the off and they said, hey, we need you to hide a body and we're going to put it in this concrete in the basement of your club.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a number of things that could have gone wrong.
Speaker 4: Now, needless to say, the guy that she had married is the guy that the NYPD wants more information on.
Speaker 2: I mean, still with us.
Speaker 4: That's what they think. His name is Donald Grant. At least they believe his name is Donald Grant. They're very interested in learning more information about him, whether he's still alive, whoever it might be. What other names did the guy actually use, because I mean, it would be obvious the closest person to a missing or murdered person in this case is going to be the one that's going to have the most information about it.
Speaker 2: That's the obvious one.
Speaker 1: But again, there's so much going around around a hot club like this with big names that it's an easy place to hide a mistake. Yeah, unfortunately, all right, John kencho But if you know Donald Grant, John Kenshaw, how about John John Covalo?
Speaker 3: Did I say John and Ken show?
Speaker 2: Where is Ken?
Speaker 3: You have his number? He doesn't. He never gave me.
Speaker 1: An let's see, the last time Ken wrote back to me, I'm new here, so you have to forgive me,