Speaker 1: Good morning morning.
Speaker 2: Welcome, welcome, welcome. It is at a time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust. It seems like Corey shibbl we've done this before. How are you doing today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good, Tom, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know you're always welcome. Now, we've got a runoff coming up on the twenty seventh of this month, and this is for the Washington County Commissioner District too. Now, you were in a three way race earlier during the primary, and because no one got fifty plus percent, it's hard to do in a three way race. Okay, how you got it? It really is?
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now you and you're facing an opponent here in just a few weeks. Wow, that's going to take a little out of you, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It's been a long time.
Speaker 3: It seems like I told somebody the other day that when I started this campaign off that you know, I had twenty eight and a half years experience and I'm just a few days away now from it feels like thirty two years experience. But I'm yeah, I'm almost to twenty nine years now.
Speaker 2: So wow, and you work in District three District three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, south end of the county for Commissioner Dunlap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us what you do there? I mean you you've done just just about every position available there right now.
Speaker 1: I have. Yeah, I've of course been with them nearly twenty nine years. I've been the road and bridge supervisor for the past fourteen years.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'm a graduate of the Oklahoma State Road Management Program. I've been the I've been Commissioner Dune Laps.
Speaker 1: Road and Bridge supervisor, like I said, for fourteen years.
Speaker 3: Where I've you know, got a great working relationship with him, and that's that's where I am able to, you know, see his day to day duties as a commissioner.
Speaker 1: So that's where I feel like i've you know, I've learned the job.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know. And the mister Dunlap has been a commissioner for a good long time.
Speaker 3: Himself, absolutely, I think he's seventeen seventeen years now.
Speaker 2: Now, when you have experienced what you've experienced, you also kind of know a little bit about the dollars and since side too, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, yeah, I've been to the budget board meetings of course, been to the commissioner meetings and as well as assisted commissioner, done lap with the budget in the department, you know, my department of District three.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so you know, you kind of know the ins and outs of it. You've been pretty much doing the work for a good long time. It would be kind of nice to get the full recognition by being a commissioner. I mean, it seems the time is right is for you. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: And that's the only reason that I'm even considered this is because the knowledge that I have for the job. You know, there's a lot to it. It's one of those jobs that's really hard to describe, but I think I have a I have a pretty good I have good knowledge of the jobs.
Speaker 1: So I feel like I would, you know, I would be ready for the job.
Speaker 2: On day one, So you would to worry about, you know, going to a commister's training school.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a lot of there's a lot of training hours required, and.
Speaker 3: I know I've got I've got quite a few some of the things that they require.
Speaker 1: I've already got under my belt. But yes, I would.
Speaker 3: I would have some some training and you know, I of course go to that those kind of things and.
Speaker 1: You know, learn things. You can always learn stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: So, oh yeah, you're never too old to learn, never too old to learn, right, So what fueled your ambition to do this? Just the timing of all this.
Speaker 1: It really was. It was just it was just timing.
Speaker 3: I never had any intentions of running against a city commissioner, And when when Commissioner Buba decided that he was going to not seek re election, I thought, well, you know, I know the job I've been around, I think I would be really good at it. And so I thought, you know, I'm gonna just I'm gonna file and see what happens.
Speaker 2: And while there you go here I am. Yes, you went through the first primary, and now for the runoff. Now, this is going to be interesting because we way, I understand that this is the only thing on that ballot. Yes, I guess, so, I guess if you live in the well, there's a Collinsville thing. But those things doing intersect. But but this is really going to be one of those things where people from district too need to participate and let the voices be heard.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, you know that, and that's what we're focusing on. I've taken a little bit of time off, you know, for the past I think six weeks here, really give myself a break and give everybody else a break.
Speaker 1: There was a couple of big races there, the state Senate and then.
Speaker 3: What was the other one, the state representative race. So but yeah, that's our main focus is getting people out.
Speaker 2: To vote on August twenty seventh, and right now, folks, if you've not voted recently, you might want to inquire with the Washington County the Secretary of Yvon House here at the Board of Elections downtown and if you have any questions, you can also go to the various websites to deal with that to make sure you're eligible to vote, because sometimes if you move, you know, your address changes. Hey, you know, you might want to check where you're living to see if you're still in the same district. And also whenever you move, you got to change that to make sure that everything's right and regular and ready to go and everything. But this is the one where we have two very good candidates going for it and made the best candidate win. And I want the people to make sure that they have fulfilled that freedom if they have the freedom of a choice, and it'd be great to see the good number of people out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be would I hope we have a big turnout.
Speaker 3: I understand that a county commissioner race isn't real exciting, but doesn't take away from the importance of the job. Sure, it's just not on everybody's radar, especially August twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're sitting there calling, gosh, the kids are in school, what am I doing? Yeah, and we understand that, and we really do. We were just kind of talking off here that you know the twenty seventh. Why the twenty seventh Apparently it's between well, what the primary was and when the general is and then it's pretty much the divisor.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's my best guess, that's.
Speaker 2: Mine too, mistading, I'm going with your.
Speaker 1: I need to do some research and figured this out.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it is. Give you some time in case, you know, there were actual other races in play too, But you know it comes down to this. Normally in Washington County the primary is the general in a lot of cases, but not in this one. With the runoff, how's that changed the way that you know you're you're approaching this Now you went there through round one and I know everybody gave it, you know, one hundred and twenty percent everything that got and it's like, oh my, you know, here comes round two. Like you said, you took a little bit of a break, which I think it was wise. You know. So are you going out and still making connections and meeting and greeting with people?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I am.
Speaker 3: I've been to a few meetings over the past six weeks. And yeah, it's a different approach, and of course I'm I'm not an expert at it. This is my first go round in campaigning, so but you really kind of have to follow your gut on this thing. And round two, I do believe is different than round one. It's it's kind of all about getting your your voters back out to vote.
Speaker 1: You know, if you voted the first Yeah, if you voted for me on.
Speaker 3: June eighteenth, I hope you're going to vote for me on August twenty seventh. So we're really not trying to change people's minds necessarily as much as getting them back out to the polls.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, that's a good idea. I like that. Yeah, very good. Now you've got a Facebook page.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have a Facebook page. Corey Shivel for County Commissioner district too. There is an email on that Facebook page, and messenger has been the best way. A lot of people have messaged me on there. It's quicker, It is a lot quicker, and I see it a lot quicker than I would an email. So yeah, I'm I'm very quick to respond to that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's very good. Accessibility is wonderful, you know it. I've lived a lot of different places, but until I moved to Oklahoma, did I ever once hear any candidate says, God, just give me a call or hit me up on my Facebook or send me a text, and they give out the number. Are you crazy? And then it's like, well, no, that's how people get a hold of you, right Yeah. Especially that just tells you kind of how upfront it is here in Oklahoma. There's no convolution going on here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, especially with a county commissioner. You know, he's right to be available.
Speaker 2: So yeah, oh my goodness. You know, is there anything that I missed court, because I really want to make sure we get everything in here on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think so, Tom.
Speaker 3: Like I said, we're just trying to, you know, make sure people remember August twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: You know, set a set a reminder on your phone. However, we're going.
Speaker 3: To be making some phone calls that kind of stuff. But yeah, just August twenty seventh, get out and vote.
Speaker 2: All right, Corey Shivel, thank you for being with this year. Alrighty, we've got more coming out