Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WVZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that all of us by now know the legal result in the criminal case, the criminal case against Karen Reid. Yesterday she was acquitted on all of the serious charges, including a murder to manslaughter and also leaving the scene of an accident. She was convicted on operating under the influence, which was the least of the charges. So I think all of us know that story. But I saw this morning a survey of Norfolk County eligible drawers which was conducted I guess overnight with us now is the pollster who did this poll, Brian Win. He is with a polling company called Opinion Diagnostics. Brian, the results of the poll are to me very surprising. I don't know if you had the same reaction. But before we go to the poll, tell us about Opinion Diagnostic. You're a Massachusetts based polling and market research firm. How long you've been around, and we'll talk a little bit about the methods that you use to conduct this poll. Right after the jury came down with their decision, So let's talk about opinion. First of all, Welcome, Brian. Let's talk about your company, Opinion Diagnostics.
Speaker 3: Welcome well, thanks thanks Dan for having me and thanks for letting me share this survey and the results with your listeners. So Opinion Diagnostics is a polling firm. I started back in twenty twenty three, but before that had done polling and political consulting for a variety of clients over the course of fifteen years. And they've been in Massachusetts now for really since two thousand and eight. I actually came up here for college at Boston College and never left. I had the opportunity along the way to do work in politics and masters usets. I moved up here originally to work for Governor Baker on his first camp or his second campaign, his first winning campaign in twenty fourteen. I had the opportunity to serve as the executive director of the mass Use Republican Party and then as Governor Baker's campaign manager in twenty eighteen. Politics and public policy for a long time here in mass but now I'm a full time poster.
Speaker 2: Do you do polling for a commercial industry, businesses as well or as it all political?
Speaker 3: So it breaks into three different categories. The first is political, the second is more of traditional market research for corporations, and then there's sort of the intersection of those things, which are issues of public policy that oftentimes are either solving that for business or elected officials or for just sort of good governments organizations to figure out how to how they should work with and address the problems that they have when talking to the electorate.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of the things that I stress with polsters who I respect, and I certainly respect seeing what you did on this ball, but with people like Dave Paleologus who's been a friend for many years, Spencer Kimball, David Suffolk, Spencer Kimball at Emerson, and when people are skeptical of polsters, I always always explain to them that it is in the interest of a polster to first and foremost be accurate. They're almost like the equivalent of a baseball umpire. I mean, the baseball umpire doesn't really care if it's a strike or a ball. But if it's you know, three feet off the plate and they call it a strike, or if it's right down the middle and they call it a ball, they're not going to be an umpire very long anywhere. And the same way with polsters. So you went into this last night obviously in the hours after the verdicts came down to the Karen Reid case, and you tell us what you did. You reached out to a lot of people, and so I think the quality of this poll was done properly. The results to me are kind of surprising. So let's talk about the procedure that you employed last night around this time.
Speaker 3: Sure, so I've done more than four hundred poles in Massachusetts over the years, and so I'm well versed and experienced and how to conduct these in this state. This poll was interesting because of how quickly I wanted to be able to move on it. So this was drafted and ready to go and ready to go at a moment's notice. And we sort of had the false alarm on Tuesday when it seemed like the jury might reach a verdict on Tuesday night after those jury questions, and so was ready to go on Tuesday night, but ultimately when in the field on Wednesday night, this poll was available for respondents to take from five pm until eleven to fifty nine pm. The people we wanted to survey were eligible jurors in Norfolk County, which to be an eligible juror in Norfolk County. You need to be a United States citizen, you need to be over the age of eighteen, and you need to be able to reasonably understand English. And we targeted individuals with the survey that we sent the survey to that we thought met those criteria. But we also confirm thatt during the course of the survey. So ultimately we selected out of the five hundred and thirty five thousand people in Norfolk County that meet that criteria to serve as a juror. We selected seventy thousand of those individuals in a random sample that we thought we would reach out to. Every one of those seventy thousand individuals received a text message last night, and in fact, I know that many of your listeners probably live in Norfolk County and a lot of them probably received this text message ask to them to take the survey. Ultimately, one hundred and seventy people that met the criteria did in fact take the survey. And to add extra confidence, every person that received the text message had a unique alpha numeric code in it to make sure that you couldn't share the survey. If two people took the survey with the same code, we could see that, and we could flag that. And in fact, normally when we do surveys, maybe three to five people share the survey say, you know, theyfore the text message to a friend, or they post on social media. In this case, this was the largest number I've ever seen. There was one hundred and sixty one duplicate responses, and I could tell from the responses that somebody had posted it on social media. Now we consider those results to be unscientific because we're trying to take a random sample of the eligible jurors in Norfolk County. So we discarded those one hundred and sixty one responses. So this is one one hundred and seventy responses from people that we have a high degree of confidence that they are eligible to service jurors, that it was individuals that we affirmatively contacted and so have a lot of confidence. And overall, this survey has a margin of error plus and minus two point nine percent. So any number that I quote tonight, that's the top line number. We could think that number could be plus three minus three roughly, but somewhere in that range. With ninety five percent confidence, what prompted.
Speaker 2: You to be poised and ready to do this poll. Obviously you thought about it ahead of time. This wasn't a spur of the moment poll, I assume, And if I'm asking a business question to which you cannot answer, I'm assuming you did not do this at the behest of anyone other than your own idea. Here, there's no political candidate who wanted this poll done. There's no lawyers, defense lawyers, prosecutors, nothing, No one sponsored the poll.
Speaker 3: Correct, Correct, there's no sponsor in this poll. This was something that I decided to do and that our firm decided to do ourselves because we had interest in the case and.
Speaker 2: Thought that it would be interesting to share everybody had interest in this case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And frankly, we thought that we were sort of uniquely qualified to move quickly and get the data and get it out into the ecosystem. And so this was something we did not at the behest of anyone. But I will say my phone has been ringing off the hook today with these results.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we're going to get to the results. I think they're surprising. Uh, without exposing we'll get to the results right after the break. Were you surprised by the by some of the results I.
Speaker 3: Had suspicions that a majority of people would be sort of in favor of Karen Reid uh and think that she was innocent. But the numbers and how large that those numbers were were somewhat startling to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's what we're going to talk about. My guest is Brian Winn. He runs a company called Opinion Diagnostics, been around for about three years, uh, and it is it's making an impact tonight with this pole fascinating results. We're going to go to the numbers, and then I'm going to ask all of you to We'll do a little poll of some of you if you'd like to talk to a pollster. Six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, ten thirty. I'm fascinating by polls, know a lot of pollsters. I find that most pollsters are much more accurate that we give them credit for. And you can be the judge of that when we get some of the numbers for you. Right after the break, you have the phone numbers. Those are the most important one numbers six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six seven. Coming right back on Night Side with my guest Brian Winn of Opinion Diagnostics.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio. You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So let's go to the top line here. My guest on the line with us right now is the owner, the founder of Opinion Diagnostics.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And this is a polling firm that that is is going to have a pretty big footprint. Brian Winn is his name, uh, and going to have a very big footprint. Founded twenty twenty three, but it has been around for a while even before that. So amongst this the group of pollsters of people who you pulled the quote unquote eligible jurors and you feel this is within a margin of era of a little less than three percent. What percentage felt read was guilty?
Speaker 3: So we asked people. Uh. So we read to people right after the verdict in case they hadn't seen it. We told them what the verdict was, which is that she had been acquitted of numerous charges, but she had been convicted of operating a motor vehicle under the influence of liquor commonly known as OUI. When we asked people, first, you believe the jury reached the correct verdict? So acquittal on a manslaughter but conviction on Oui. And of people that were familiar with the trial, which was ninety three percent of all jurors in Norfolk County said that they were familiar with the trial. So of that ninety three percent, seventy percent said yes, the jury had reached the correct verdict, compared to only eleven percent that said no.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you didn't ask them about murder. It looks to me as if you asked them about manslaughter, and I did.
Speaker 3: And the reason for that is what we got to in the next in the next two questions. And so the first question we asked is if for if on the manslaughter charge, right, because her Oui was a lesser included of the manslaughter charge.
Speaker 2: Yep, right.
Speaker 3: So the question was how close was the jury to finding her guilty of one of the higher of those lesser included charges. They found her guilty of the lowest of the lesser included charge. And so we asked people, should she have been found guilty of manslaughter or should she have been found not guilty because you have reasonable doubts but she might have committed the crime, but you have reasonable doubts or should she have been found not guilty because she's totally innocent of that crime. And among the people that were familiar with the trial, only six percent thought that she should have been found guilty because she committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, compared to fifty four percent that said she should be found out guilty because she's totally innocent. So a majority of people familiar with this trial, fifty four percent say that she is totally innocent, not even that she's innocent because of a reasonable doubt, which is another twenty four percent on top of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that gets you to that gets you to three quarters of the respondents would have would have voted to acquit on manslaughter and sixteen percent are unsure. And I'm sure the people who were unsure if they were in a jury room. Boy, that is a stunning number to me. I don't think she was guilty of manslaughter. I think the case was overcharged, But I still think that that there's a certain number of people who are going to be always influenced by the present presentation of the government, and the government obviously they didn't have a chance of going into this this trial in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Oh not not at all. And the last top line that we asked, and this goes to the presentation of the government and the evidence that they showed to the jury. We tried to predict what Norfolk County jurors would do in the upcoming civil trial. Remember, Karen Reid is still going to have a civil trial. That's a wrongful death lawsuit, and the standard, as many people probably know, is different in a civil trial. It's preponderance of the evidence. Is it more likely than not that Karen Reid is liable for the wrongful death of John o'keef. And we asked people did they think that the preponderance of evidence showed that she was liable or did the preponderance of evidence not show that she is liable? And seventy three percent said that based off the information that they knew, that the preponderance of evidence showed that she was not liable for the death of John o'keef. And so with that in mind, it is incredibly difficult to imagine how a wrongful death lawsuit is going to proceed given just the evidence that we have, and presumably at this point, through multiple years and two different trials, and all the things that weren't presented a trial, but were sort of known from outside of it without any additional information coming out. To start off with, roughly three quarters of everyone familiar with this case and roughly sixty eight percent of every person that's in eligible jur in Northfook County thinking that the evidence that current that currently exists is not enough evidence to find her liable of ronful death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's it's almost a ten to one ratio. Sixty eight percent feel that the preponderance evidence does not prove liability. Seven percent think that does. That's a ten to one sixty eight to seven, you know, sixty.
Speaker 3: Eight Put that into statistical terms if you were trying to find it. And jury selection is not a random process, right, As people remember, in the beginning of the care and Reed trial, they went through many, many jurors to find jurors that they were impartial. Almost ninety percent of the jurors said that they were familiar with the case during jury selection, but they tried to find jurors that were impartial. So if you were to say, need I need to randomly select twelve people from Norfolk County to be on a jury in a civil trial, wrongful death, and what are the odds that is sixty eight percent of all the people in Norfolk County think that she is totally that the propondence of the evidence shows that she is not liable. What are the chances of getting twelve people in a row? And if you do the mathm that it's a one in eight hundred and sixty nine thousand chants that a randomly selected jury would have twelve people that think that the propondence the evidence either shows that she is liable or that are unsure or just don't know about the case. So one in eight hundred and sixty nine thousand chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's another question that you highlight. Amongst eligible jurors familiar with the case, sixty four percent believed that John O'Keefe was killed by someone else.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's that's truly the crux of this right, And so the next section of this poll, after those the verdicts and what people would do with their jurorsey is what do they believe about the facts of the case. And when you get into the facts of the case, the one that is maybe the most startling, and it's it's the largest is sixty four percent like you said, believe John o'keeith was killed by someone other than Karen Reid. And so that sort of is the reason why you would think that she that these jurors would not see the preponderance of evidence of her being liable. You know, the preponderance of evidence standard, which is lower, not going to be You're not going to beat that standard of sixty four percent of people believe that someone else killed them. How can you say that she's liable for his death when sixty four percent of people believe that someone else killed them. And it goes down from there. Sixty three percent of these of these eligible jurors believe that evidence was planted to help ensure that Karen Reid was found guilty, and sixty one percent believe that some of the injuries on John o'keeith's body were caused by a dog.
Speaker 2: And the dog that is in question is the dog that was in the house.
Speaker 3: So presumably that would be the dog that's in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not some dog was out for a midnight stroll. Eleven percent, again a starkly different number, believe that some of the injuries were caused by a vehicle, and only nine percent nine percent believe that the investigation was full and fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that vehicle number is startling, because really, what the second trial came down to was are the injuries on John o'keith's body caused by a dog or are they caused in a vehicle? Right, And that's sort of the central argument between the prosecution and the defense, and so who wins that argument? Well, sixty one percent believe that the injuries are caused by a dog and eleven percent believe they're caused by the vehicle. And so if you're looking at the witnesses that testified and having read some of the insights from the jurors today that have done media interviews during the course of today, the jurors believe that the injuries were caused by a dog, and most of them had serious doubt that there is a vehicle involved. And some of them say that they are completely certain there is no vehicle involved. And it seems to reflect the data that this survey showed.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we got to take a break here for the news at the bob of the hour. But there's some other questions that I think are very important, both retroactively and prospectively. I'll get to those next, and I'll also invite callers to join the conversation. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. This is I don't know if any other poll that was done this quickly following of jury verdict in such a high profile trial. This never was done, I believe, in the in the wake of the OJ Simpson trial or any other trial that I can think of. But this is amazing because this really does show what jurors or potential jurors, the group of jurors from which were chosen feel about this case literally the day and the day after, the day, the evening of the verdict. So these are these are I think amazing numbers, and I think it was a brilliant idea to run this poll. And we'll talk more about it, and I'd love to have some of you join the conversation. We're back on Nightside right after the news at the bottom of the.
Speaker 1: Hour's Boston's News Radio. It's Night Side with Dan Ray, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest here tonight is the founder and the owner of a company called Opinion Diagnostics. Diagnostics Brian Wynn has done what I considered to be an amazing poll of Norfolk potential Norfolk County jurors. These are people who would be eligible for the jury pool from which the Karen Reid jury was chosen. Now what I want to do, Brian, is I got some phone calls here already, so I want to go to at least one or two, and then I want to get back to other conclusions that this poll has drawn, and I want to ask some questions. In the meantime, let me start it off with Mike in Dallas, Texas. Mike, welcome to Nightside. I don't know if ever had the pleasure of your company here on Nightside before. How are you, sir?
Speaker 4: No, Dan, I'm a first time call or long time listener ever since I was a child in Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 2: Come on, so you're a run of applause to you, Mike. We do have listeners in Texas, so you're not the first listener from Texas. But I thank you very much for listening to us down there and calling and calling us tonight. What question or comment would you like to make? We have Brian Winn with us, who's in charge of this company that conducted the poll, Opinion Diagnostics, So.
Speaker 4: My question is this in a soivil trial. Of course, if she will have to give a deposition, she will have to testify in a civil trial. And I'm curious, Brian, as to whether your survey revealed anything about how the public views Karen Reid as a person, whether that dynamic will actually maybe change the results or change the opinion of people as to whether they're going to give her a clean bill of health in a civil case.
Speaker 2: Brother, if I could mike real quickly, you sound like you're a lawyer.
Speaker 4: Actually, wow, I'm a law professor.
Speaker 2: How about that? Huh? What law school? If I could, I'm a lawyer, as you probably know if you listen, I'm going to BEU Law School, Boston University Law School graduate. Do you teach? So?
Speaker 4: I teach to the University of North Texas at Dallas. We're a young law school. We've been around for eleven years, but I practiced law for thirty four years before I entered the academy.
Speaker 2: Wow, boy, well, congratulations, you're uh, you're sort of from my generation. That again, the reason I was able to take a pretty good guess at that, as you sound like a lawyer, and uh, and take that as a compliment because she's coming from one lawyer to another. A great question. Uh, Brian, would you take a shot at Mike's question.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm not sure that my survey answers your question beyond the fact that if people truly believed that he was killed by someone else, or that evidence was planted, or that these injuries were caused by a dog, and they find that she is, you know, totally innocent of the crime of which she was which she was accused in this in the criminal case, I don't know how, even even if she comes off as the worst human being in the world, how a jury could find her liable if in a civil case, if they truly believe that she was sort of uninvolved in always in this case, what I can tell you was, having read some of the stories shared by the jurors today, I think I saw the two jurors and an alternate juror at least as of nine PM, and done interviews and one of the jury's and I'll share this this is sort of outside the survey, but the juror said, when she walked in, she thought that she thought that she was not going to like Karen Reid. She thought that she sort of got the wrong vibe from Karen Reid, and during the course of the trial, the juror said that her read on Karen Reid changed to be somebody that was fighting for her life and had been put in an impossible position, and she grew to admire her. So that's the words of one juror. I can't speak to any other random juror in any other case, but maybe a small case study of how people might see her. Now, remember people didn't hear from her because she didn't testify in this case, but the prosecution played all of the clips from her HBO documentary. And I'll just say this is this is my personal view on it. I watched the HBO documentary when it came out a few months ago. I didn't think Karen Reid came off particularly well in that documentary. I don't think she came off as particularly likable. And that's just that's just sort of my personal opinion. And so that's that's the Karen Reid that that jury was presented with the one that was in the HBO documentary. They you know, her in person in a civil trial might be far better than that.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm someone who believes that sometimes in the quote of public opinion, you can influence the judicial system, as I think I was able to do in the Joe Salvati case, the Salviati Lamoni case up here, which some of you in my audience I know still remember. But I think it was a still a fundamental mistake to have her go on television, you know, because those those audio clips were used against her, and it might have been that those audio clips if she hadn't gone on, maybe she would have swept the table. Let me ask, Mike, the law school professor, would you have allowed Karen Reid to go on television? I think she was on Dateline and maybe a couple of other shows in advance of that second trial.
Speaker 4: I watched the show The Body in the Snow. I would never in a million years have her done those interviews. I think she came across very poorly. I think she made admissions against interest, and I think it was a terrible strategic mistake. But in the end, I guess it just didn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and wait, we're gonna have some other statistics here, Mike. I'm honored that you called. I truly mean that, and I hope that you'll call more often. If you get up to Boston, give me a call. We'll grab a coffee.
Speaker 4: I'd like that very much. Have a good evening, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Mike. Send me an email so I can be in touch. I'll have no giving direct.
Speaker 4: How do I get your email?
Speaker 2: You hold on here and I'm going to have no give you my direct line and my email. No, we'll give the professor Mike, who shall have forever been known as Professor Mike here on Nightside, my email in my and my direct phone number. Okay, don't hang up, Mike. You just all right. They'll take care of that. Let's get another call for you. Brian here, and we're going to get a little closer to home. We're going to go directly to the to the heart of this Canton Carol from Canton. Hi, Carol, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: How are you, Hi, Dan, Thank you for having me, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Very much for calling you. Brian Winny, they had to Brian win He is a ban a really good pusson.
Speaker 5: I'm disgusted. I'm disgusted by the all because I am one of the very few that believe carried it is totally guilty of what she's charged what's not second degree murder, but the hictil homicide would have been good. I don't think there's any third party. His friends beating him up, sorry, out in the yard. I don't believe those dog bites. I have three, you know, four dogs, and I know what dog bites look like. And I'm just I'm just really upset with the whole with the whole thing, really am I just wanted to be down and I don't want to be seep ink anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd like to ask you, Carol, Can I ask you what? Carol? Can I ask you one question? What amongst your friends in Canton? The town itself has been its battered from pillar a house here in many in many respects, what is the feeling amongst your friends? Realizing that probably most of the people who are your friends are going to be people who somewhat.
Speaker 5: Agree with you, We're very divided, very divided. Some of my family agree with me, so my family doesn't. I have a bet with a friend and now I owever her dinner, Well.
Speaker 2: Do make make sure it's a friendly dinner and don't let her rub it in.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, yeah, the way that people don't do that in Canton. We don't beat up each other and throw them.
Speaker 2: And I have a lot of friends. I have a lot of friends in Canton, and it's a good town. Have you called before? This is your first call, This is my first call. We want to give you a round of applause too, our digital studio audience. We really appreciate first time call.
Speaker 5: And I really think the jurors were afraid to charge her with anything more because they probably would have been a harass for the rest.
Speaker 4: Of their lives.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: And everybody else, well, I don't know that you have comments. Go to parents. She had nice flow.
Speaker 4: She you know, she looks good. But I did I did want to.
Speaker 3: I did want to comment quickly, go ahead, say right there. We did in this survey. One of what we did in the survey was we took a sample of people that live in Canton. Now it's not a gigantic sample, it's fifty four people out of that one. Ken is a relatively small part of Norfolk County, right compared to like Quinsy, for example, which is the largest. And the results in Canton were generally the same as they were everyone else, but much more I'd say the temperature was higher. So, for example, ninety three percent of people in the whole county know about the Karen Read case, but it's one hundred percent of those fifty four people in Canton, obviously, right. And if you ask people whether whether they believe, whether they believe that the verdict should have been guilty overall the whole county, it's five percent. In Canton it's twenty one. And whether or not she was not guilty because she was completely innocent, and the whole county it's fifty. In Canton it's forty nine, so a little lower, but you do have but you have zero percent of people.
Speaker 2: With to let it, let him finish, hold on, he was just finishing his sentence. Go ahead, go ahead by.
Speaker 3: There in the in the full county, we had fifteen percent of people that were unsure about the verdict in the town of Cannon. Of those fifty four people we surveyed, zero, literally not one of them said that they were unsure. Yeah, well, it'll people either were guilty or not.
Speaker 5: Getting people like to jump on the bandwagon.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Carol, thank you for your call. I hope the interview more up and on other topics as well, thank you, thank you all. Can I we'll take a very quick break if you'd like to ask Brian Won a question. We have some other really start lead statistics which we can get to and we can drill down them on them a little bit. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three, one ten thirty O'Brien, it's it's amazing. You get two people who have never called night Side before on this topic, a law professor from Dallas.
Speaker 3: That's what this case does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's also what happens on this also what happens on this this radio station. To be honest with you, it has a tremendous reach and a lot of people. I'd love to find out from Mike how he first found WBS. We have a lot of what I would call, you know at ex pats from New England who move I have people in New Mexico and other states, far flong states who stay in contact Alaska. I have listeners that I know of in Alaska. But it didn't sound to me like Mike necessarily had roots back here. So I'll figure out. But it's it's an amazing radio station, and this is an amazing story. So I'm not surprised. We'll take a quick break if you'd like to ask Brian win a question. He's the founder of Opinion Diagnostics, and there are some statistics here which also portend the future, and we'll get to those right after the break.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio. It's night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: My guess is Brian Wynn. He is the founder of a new, well relatively new company, been around for a couple of years, but he's been doing this for a longer time. This company's called Indian Diagnostics. Was Opinion Diagnostics found in twenty founded in twenty twenty three or was it previous in his previous incarnation also Opinion Diagnostics.
Speaker 3: Brian no, it was founded as Opinion Diagnostics in March of twenty twenty three. So we just celebrated our second anniversary about three months ago. But like I said, I've been doing polling for fourteen years now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in this situation, you're a founder and an owner as opposed to someone who is working on a campaign or someone who is a contract worker. So let's go to some of these statistics which I think are interesting, current former elected officials in Norfolk County's criminal justice system have lost public support. Why don't we hit the three I'm surprised that the judge is not held in higher repute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so only eighteen percent of eligible jurors approved of Judge Beverly Cononi's handling of the case or job performance on the case. And so we explained in advance what just to make sure that sort of less informed people understood that a judge was not the one making the decision in a criminal case, it was a jury. We explained what a judge did, and then we asked people whether, based off their knowledge of the case they approved or disapproved. That it was of people familiar with the case, it was eighteen percent approved, in fifty four percent disapproved.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, as a lawyer, I was critical of Judge Canoni after the first case when the jury came back and said that they were deadlocked. I firmly believe that she should have asked a simple question, are you deadlocked on all three counts? Or have you arrived at a consensus and an agreement on any of the counts, And if you believe what some of the jurors said, she would have been acquitted on the murder indictment the first time around, and also leaving the scene of an accident. So I think that this jury was very similar by the questions or asked, and a lot of the the additional expense could have been avoided. Now her behavior, her actions were upheld. They were not overturned by the s JAC or by the US Supreme Court, which decided not to grant Scherai. But I think the State Supreme Court should have issued an advisory opinion that in cases where there are multiple counts and the jury comes back and says they are hung or they're deadlocked, or whatever terminology they use, a judge should be required because partial vertics are acceptable. You could have a partial vertical accounts one and two or two in three three.
Speaker 3: To put a fine point on that. Alan Jackson said in an interview earlier today that he believes he's the first duo of defendant and defense attorney to be acquitted twice. Yeah, okay, you've never seen never seen that ad I think you're correct on that double jeopardy is institutionally protected or prohibited.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well I think that that. Well, again, it's tough to get sir, sure are with the US Supreme Court, but I think the Massachusetts State Supreme Court missed an opportunity to provide guidance for superior court judges. Okay, Massachusetts State Police, once considered a top police agency, they're under intense criticism. Three quarters of the people polled agree with the decision to fire the lead investigator, who was on television last night, I believe, with ABC saying what a great job he had done. This fellow named Michael Proctor.
Speaker 3: Correct. So that's seventy six percent agreed that he should have been fired by the state Police. Only six percent disagree with the remainder unsure. And then you know, sort of just a startling indictment of his actions in this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and his behavior, and then of all the people involved with his case, the biggest loser at this point appears to be the district attorney, Mike Morrissey, who's up for reelection in twenty twenty six. What did the numbers show for the big incumbent district attorney?
Speaker 3: So for me, someone that had worked in politics, these might be the most startling numbers in the entire poll. So we asked, remember this was all eligible jurors, and you don't need to be registered to vote to be a juror, but you do need to be over the age of eighteen and a United States citizen. So about ninety five percent of the individuals that took this survey or are registered voters, so they would be eligible to vote in twenty twenty six. And we asked just that ninety five percent of the survey respondents whether or not Michael Morrissey had performed his job well enough as Norfolk County District Attorney to deserve reelection or is it time to give a new person a chance? Four percent said he deserves reelection, sixty percent said it's time to give a new person a chance. Is pretty standard wording I use in questions in political surveys I do for my clients and have used this wording for probably the better part of the last eight or nine years, and never have I seen results that are within twenty points of this. You know, there are individuals that are elected officials under indictment that probably have better numbers for their deserves re election than Mike Morrissey does.
Speaker 2: Right now, Wow, wow, I would I'm look, yeah, politicians have to have to read polls, and I'm sure that he is. I don't think he'll run for re election.
Speaker 3: And here here's his big his big problem is, if you are a Democrat, eight percent believe he deserves reelection, in fifty three percent believe in your person deserve I should have a chance. Now, he already has Democratic primary opponents that have already announced in a running against him. So how he wins the Democratic primary is beyond me. And then even if he were to make it to a general election, only about three and a half percent of all the Republicans and independence combined believe he deserves reelection, and so how he would win against a Republican and a general election is beyond me. I saw here he issued a four word statement earlier today something to the effect of the jury has spoken, or the jurors have spoken to me, is you know, putting back my head as a political strategist, I don't. That to me seems like a resignation that his term is as district attorney is over, and I think these poll results.
Speaker 4: Bear that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's waving the white flag, that is for sure in my opinion, Brian, I love this hour and we'll do it again. I really thank you for this. I think people have learned a lot and it's an amazing poll and I think people should go find it and look at it Opiniondiagnostics dot com and they will find it pretty easily on the website. I assume it's highlighted on your website tonight.
Speaker 3: Top top of the website tonight, canvass it ro.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed the conversation today and also our hour tonight. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We will talk and thank you to you and your listeners really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely great hour. Thank you so much. All Right,