Speaker 1: This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: Hello out there in podcast land and beyond and maybe out in space. Who knows. We've got a credible crew out there right now. I'm Maxi margat Rubin along with my co host Malcolm Berman. And this is the Many Shades of Green, a program that adds a dash of green into your life. As we engage in conversations that move to inform, educate, activate, and raise your eco and social consciousness through culture, politics, music, books, art, science, community, we hope to inspire you to pick a shade of green and become a steward of this beautiful, blue, green planet we call Earth. So I'll start out in l a. Hi Malcolm Land and Hi Gay, are you out? And where the island you're in?
Speaker 3: Are you in the island? Long Island? Long Island? Beautiful Long Island.
Speaker 2: Long Island. Hey has some pretty cool beaches over there. Uh. And we got Neil back there in studio and and so welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 4: We're going to do a direct hook up with the astronauts.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't I wouldn't know what to do with myself if that happened. Uh. Again, I am a space space freaky space geeky whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 4: Could you could you? Could you call control headquarters?
Speaker 2: They were ready, he put he said, heave us the thumbs up. We're gonna they're gonna patch us into uh to the to the center that gives all that incredible information all the Houston I think there and now that that and also in space Cape Kennedy or Kennedy Space Center, I should say, used to be Cape Canaveral anyway, So okay, as you can tell, I'm infatuated with the moon dancing in the moonlight by a group called top Loader, which is very interesting because the orion is on the top of the what was on top of the rocket. We can play it.
Speaker 4: We get it most gathering.
Speaker 5: Wind Gilfain so that any fine here, it's out of shide.
Speaker 2: They don't bar and there don't five day keep.
Speaker 5: Their few stick, keep her tiring, every body, damn sound in the mule live down slight ever fire.
Speaker 6: Skill, let lod sup up fine out of side.
Speaker 4: Their fines that sound. We like our fine and will never fight.
Speaker 2: You can down Sam stay. I'm tied at the super match. I'll roll the bike.
Speaker 1: Ever by.
Speaker 2: There was dawn sound m the mule live.
Speaker 7: Down sid.
Speaker 2: Well, We're Dancing in the moonlight, And I had to pick that song because even though it kind of has a dark side of it, which I didn't realize until this is it. The song has a natural vibe and it's kind of gentle, sunshiny kind of pop sound which emphasizes a natural gathering of people enjoying life contrasted against the unnatural, like supernatural delight of a perfect peaceful night. The song was written in nineteen sixty nine. This cut was from nineteen ninety nine two thousand by Top Loader and it was by Herman Kelly, and the origin is a bit dark because she was recovering from her personal trauma. He was assaulted apparently, and he's trying to recover and he was imagining better things during that recovery, and so it's kind of has the uplifting parts to it with something that is a little chaotic, which seems to be what's happening now. We're looking for some joy and celebration amidst we're living in chaos and we need some diversion and we need joy, and right now, on our personal level, I'm getting immense joy from the Lunar Mission Artemis two and the amazing crew floating and working right now in the Orian Capsule. Human kind of has always been fascinated by the moon. The glow of a full moon brings inner peace and beauty to the night sky as it illuminates the dark. The historic diverse four astronaut team of Artemis to includes Commander Reid Wiseman, who's been on many missions, Pilot Victor Glover, who's I think the only I have to check that person of color to go on a Moon trip. There we have mission specialists Christina Cook, she's the first women woman to go to to the to the Moon, and Jeremy Hansen is the first Canadian to take a trip. So we have some international things going uh. The crew has made history as being the first units to have reached the furthest point away from Earth as they flew by the dark side of the Moon. The mission has brought people together. It's bringing back science and getting students interested in stem and steam. We need that art party in there, which is important. It gives us joy in these divided times and people are feeling some positive energy. When I look online and I see the artemist things that it's all positive and people have pride in this artemist mission. Mankind wants to explore the galaxy and is exciting to witness space travel. And while we must band together to take action against the dismantling of democracy before our eyes, we have to take a respite from the calamity being brought currently. So you know, Gay and I talked about this because we were bantering back and forth, you know, with notes. But I came across and I think you did too. Gay about Kelly Corrigan, a New York Times writer, when she said that, so what's the responsible citizen to do? How do you count to balance the drain of constantly standing guard? And she said the answer is simple. Seek moments of wonder in your everyday life. Awe inspired by nature, art where the feats of a man is justified. And this is a feat of man, this this Artemis project. How do we reach a mon moment of joy during the as I said, this chaos, Perhaps we all need to meditate, look for joy and find the common storm, which recently a couple of months ago, the Boost monks who walked that twenty three hundred miles for peace have done and we had the Winter Olympics these amazing athletes, and now we have Artemis two crew who are up in space and they're on their way back now to Earth, and it's just amazing that they saw the dark side of the moon. I was going to play Pink Floyd brain Damage, but I just couldn't bring myself to it. I wanted something a little more so Today anyway, we are joined by Gay Paulasner to discuss what we can do in this moment to be proactive and finding some joy amidst the chaos, and how kindness and empathy can bring back morality. Hopefully, we'll talk about all different things, you know, we'll see where this all lands. Will also get a bit into her art and her books, uh and a lot more. Gay is the author of young adult and adult novels. She's also a family law attorney and mediator. She co authored a book with Nora Rawley Baskin and titled Consider the Octopus. I love octopus or creatures that are amazing. So that's a that's something.
Speaker 4: So what do you do in your spare time?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I don't know, she doesn't see. You're busy in general with a lot of things. But this right right anyway, The book is a heartfelt story about friendship and an empowering call to environmental protection, especially to young people who are already stepping up to help save our oceans and our earth. So Gay, welcome to the Many Shades of Green Again. You're a friend of the show because you've been on and we have. Yes, she's family, she's she's miss miss b we have she's she's cousins to our monthly political guy. And believe me, he hit that politics George Paulisner. He's out and he's out west now. But anyway, I just want to do a quote from one of the Artemis crew members, Victor Glover. He's the pilot, and again I mentioned the first person of color on a lunar mission, and I think some of this was towards his wife, but also some of it was general when he said, as we prepare to go out of radio communication, which they did yesterday, we're still going to feel your love from Earth and to all of you down there on Earth and around Earth, we love you from the moon. We will see you on the other side. This crew has been incredible. This crew has made me cry. You know, we're speaking. We wanted to hit on some Joy, and you know, I went to Apollo sixteen, and I was at Apollo seventeen launch, which was the last lunar launch, which I can't believe was fifty four years ago. I was only a baby, but but I went. I went to the launches, and I've gone to Shuttle launches. And I was at one of the Shuttle launches that took off from from Kennedy Space Censor and landed at Edwards and my brothers saw the landing in Edwards and I saw the takeoff. So it was just really pretty cool. And so so we're coming, you know, from a crazy point that doesn't seem to be. It's just spiraling constantly, you know, And we're also kind of always asking ourselves like who's going to save us? Like again, I just wrote letters to my senators like who is going to save us? Gay, Who's going to save us?
Speaker 3: There is an unloaded question.
Speaker 8: That's why.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just you know, and I said that to Malcolm earlier today when we were in the phone. I'm like, Who's when is you know, how low is low? And it just gets lower.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know if it's one of the astronauts, I said it. They said, you know, looking on the Earth, you know, looking at all the stars and everything around us, and that we are there, as far as we know, the only planet that has people, and we are in a charge of the planet to keep it whole.
Speaker 2: Mhm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we might be that we might be the only planet you know that we know of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not. We're not that advanced to be transporting ourselves to other galaxies star Trek. You know, I wish we were, because I transport myself somewhere right now, Like I don't know. But anyway, I mean, you know, there's there's heroes, there's it seems to be more villains. Uh so what what what say you on this any any any words?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I want I mean, the first thing I want to say is, you know, talking about transporting us. It was really hard to get on this podcast today. It was really hard to do anything today. I made a sign and I'm going out in the streets by myself after this. Hopefully some people will join me because I don't know what to do. But one of the things we can do, and that's something you know, you and I were talking about on our own, is the simple things we can do to survive. At this point, and man, you just you just did one of them turn on music. It's incredible. If you guys could have seen us on our little zoom we're clean like that music comes on and you go from complete despair to momentary lightness. And you and I both have musicians, singer songwriters. Music is an important part of our families. And I think about it all the time for me personally, and I'm a writer, I'm an artist. I think music is maybe the most life saving form of art that is out there. And thank goodness for the people who make it and who create both intense activist songs that carry us through dark dark times and also light songs that we can turn on and get endorphins back in our bodies.
Speaker 2: It's it's I know, I mean, your sons are musicians. My whole family is basically you know, musicians and uh and and it's just you know, we hear something, we stop moving, you just stop moving and that song dancing in the Dancing is another form art form, whether it's you know, ballet or whether you're just booging you know at a bar mitzvah, I don't know, but anyway, it's it's part of it and art. I know you are very artistic and theater, and it's just the arts. That's why I said steam, not just them. The kids out there are there's so many kids who are in just took this prodest this lunar, you know, mission to just heart and love it, and they're asking questions and when they have NASA conferences and CNN asked this kid he must have been like twelve years old, and he goes, why, you know, why do you like this? You know, and he literally, I don't know if you saw the clip, but he said, because we're going to the f and moon and he said the whole thing, and CNN it blocked in on the thing, but it didn't block it online because you can say it, and neither did. Colbert actually played the clip too, but that just said it. You know, that just said it. But again it's the the art part of you know, Stam. We need, you know, people becoming engineers and people scientists, you know, the unfortunately they decimated, like all these departments, the Union of Concerned Scientists, you know, we had them on the show. I'm going to have them back. But one of the scientists I had on that I had originally he goes, I can't come back on because if you want to see an older scientist climate scientists, and you want to hear me crying on the air, that's what she said. And she gave me somebody else who's younger, but also almost who's gone on the air because they're decimating the science population.
Speaker 6: They might be, but this is happening now, So where is this piece of hope coming from?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Like, I was actually wondering that and I literally asked the question out loud to my husband, is that we see this decimation, We know there's a decimation, Yet somehow in the middle of this decimation, this mission right was able to take place and happen.
Speaker 3: Do we know how?
Speaker 2: Like where?
Speaker 6: Because if we know how, then that tell like it's not a nebulous piece of hope. It's a serious, true, practical, tangible piece of hope.
Speaker 4: Well when did this mission? Starret? How long have they been planning this?
Speaker 2: Have they been planning this for years? I mean yeah, it's like just just think of was it sixty one when prison and Kennedy said, you know, we're going to go to the moon by the end of the decade, And they went to the moon by the end of the decade, they didn't have a computer as sophisticated as my cell phone right here in my hand, which by the way, is partially a product from NASA because it has the worst pr And if you look at what NASA has done in terms of inventions, medically and everything else, I should have had to listen in front of me, But they've done. You know, everyone's going, you're spending money, like, oh what, I guess there's something going on in the Middle East now for two billion dollars a day, this project probably costs about four billion I think I don't have the exact amount, but look what it's producing. And you know, people, the humankind has this this quest to go and to go beyond and explore, and this is part of that. I mean, we just would love to be able to take you know, people up. It's not the five minutes from these billionaires that send up and you know that what is that. This is serious and going, you know, going to the moon, hitting the dark side of the moon, losing you know, communication for forty minutes. They go, they ask the guys, what did you do? And and the Canadian guy brought some maple cookies from Canada, they go, we ate the maple cookies.
Speaker 4: I mean, tell me, wasn't Jewish?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Well, I couldn't eat the cookies if he was well pass over, Okay.
Speaker 2: I give him dispensation. If they are to eat whatever they want. They they got, they got the rabbis going, no, no problem. And then and then they had you know the moment where they named crater uh so moving and after the wife arrow barrel and it's that they were in tears and and and they and they hugged each other.
Speaker 7: In a they've all been family for all these years that they were working together. Yeah, in close contact. But I have a question.
Speaker 8: Uh uh.
Speaker 7: The NASA has invented there's a lot of things that you know is due to space space travel. But if they took that money and they were working on those projects, would they have come up with any solution any of the products that they have now if they were working in different areas, not necessarily going into the moon.
Speaker 2: The project makes you, do you know it? When you have something like this, the amount of people on it, the amount of scientists, engineers, tech people, they're always inventing, Like my uncle on the lunar module, which is up there still because it stays there. The module goes off with the lamb, the base stays on the moon. So there's bases on the Moon from the modules from all the previous you know, the Moon missions. And he developed the bottom part of the lamb. It comes out and it goes on and there's legs. There's legs. But they needed to develop big pods on the bottom of those legs for the landings, so it would be a soft land it wouldn't be a hard landing. And he was a sub contractor for Grumming and he worked on the Apollo project. And the various engineers engraved on one of the pods their names. Okay, so if this is true, which I don't think, my uncle would lie, nor would any of the engineers lie. I mean, I don't think back in the day I was a little young there. This is all true. My uncle's name is on the moon read Uncle Duke, we called him. And so there's like this science part of my family with the music part of my family. So that's that's the theme. So that's the theme. But anyway, it's you know the practicalness of when you're working on projects like this, like the problem that they had. The biggest problem they had was the toilet on this mission so far, you know, things simple like that. To me, I would have asked for a Japanese engineer on that because they make the best toilets in the world. It's like, you know, this is international, this is you're dealing with, not just you know, American tech people and engineers. This is all over the this is a global thing. This is not just And then they have you know, bases and places all over the world. And so it is true, you know, and the crew is true, is diverse, is very diverse. I mean the first woman, I mean yeah, baby, and a lot of the mission controllers are women now. And of course it's just something. But anyway, if anyone is you know, wants to check that out, go to the NESSA website and you can see, you know, up close and personal what's going on. It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 6: So but that reminded me of something somebody wrote on threads today. I don't know who they were, but it was a really compelling She's called Motherhood for Good and she was writing about the mission and she said she's talking about the women that are on board the mission, and she says Artemis is Apollo's twin sister, Goddess of the Moon, a hunter like her twin brother, but also a steward of the wildness. She is also known as the protector of women and children, the Goddess of childbirth. And so it seems fitting that this mission carries with it the first woman to travel this far from Earth, the first person of color, the first non American. The spacecraft carrying them on this historic journey is called the Integrity. Maybe I'm reaching or hearing what I want to hear, but to me, this is a new beginning.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's amazing. And also, you know decades ago that they did a movie about the black women, you know, Catherine Johnson and others who got got this going. You know literally was they were doing math, you know, on chalkboards into the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: That was. That was a great movie, you know.
Speaker 2: And now again we have these phones that you can ask a question, it's going to answer. The only thing I worry about is AI right now with all of this. And also, you know when you said music creation, I was worried about. I'm worried about that because they're now one of the labels has an AI, you know, component to it, and it's a music, it's AI developed music. And I just mm hmm, Hannah, I'm binder who's in hacks. You know, she did a whole thing, and she said, you know, I f you guys who are doing this. You know, because she goes, you need creativity, you need talent, you need you need the human brain.
Speaker 7: Do we if you're combined to AI gave the machine all the information about all the great musicians in the world, all the great writers in the world, and combine them, could they come up with something creative?
Speaker 2: But then you're taking from all those artists.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: The question is if they can, would that be? Would that would they be able to create?
Speaker 6: They well, if they are, they're still taking they still have to take the various components.
Speaker 3: In fact, I'm involved, they're not creating.
Speaker 6: There's a big lawsuit by authors right now against AI who stole our work to use to train AI to write like other authors. They can't train that AI unless they take something skilled and feed it into it. So what they did without permission was fed hundreds of thousands of books into their systems.
Speaker 7: So now as an individual, we do that. As an individual, you listen to music, you know the music, and then you created by the things that you've learned from other musicians.
Speaker 3: Right, But if I took your words.
Speaker 2: And that's your melody, which is copywritten, then you're you're then.
Speaker 6: I was saying, it's not just saying you're using it for the underlying ability to do so, But.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 6: I think it's a different. One is a sort of osmosis of being human, and the other one is training to take it away from the human and using it to do so. Those feel somehow very different. And right now there's a successful suit for taking those works, and there's already a settlement on the table worth I think the number is like one point five billion, Not that any of us authors see much of it, because there's so many of us. But still to take those words, feed them in and say, if you want to write a story about two humorous kids at the Great Pacific garbage Patch, here take Gaye Hollers in his book. This is how you would create that story. They may not be directly stealing every word I wrote, but they're using every word I wrote in order for them to reshape it into their own. Right.
Speaker 7: But if you're an author you get ideas from other books that have been written, and you see other styles that have been written. Now, instead of feeding this into you as an author, it's feeding. It's fed into a machine. I think there's there's a lot of questions in there.
Speaker 3: Ye, I think human nature.
Speaker 6: But humans work differently. You could say that about everything, but humans work differently. What we're able to assimilate into our worldview is always going to be taken from the things around us. But it's not a methodical lifting, stealing, feeding, and spitting out.
Speaker 4: Which technology is it.
Speaker 2: I'll give you example quickly if I can. There's a song called My Sweet Lord.
Speaker 3: I remember this.
Speaker 2: It is probably the first thing you'll hear in your intellectual property class. I told this to my son when he was in law school. I said, the first case you going to hear an intellectual property right is Brightoons music, which is my company versus Harris songs. Okay, he didn't quite believe me until the first day in class. He gets that teacher, professor, and he gets the case. It's on the black point and he's squirming in his seat and the the professor goes, you know, young Ruber, what are you doing? You know you know, sit still, and he goes, you don't know, you don't know. My mom said I was going to get this and and this is my mom and my uncle's company, Brighton's Music, And he goes, Brightons Music. It's your family's company. And it's like the quintessential you know copyright case that they use in all like copy it's always cited. You know that as a lawyer, and all the copyright cases, infringement cases, and that's us. And when I went to the library at Congress and saw it on the wall, it even freaked me out even more because there was also a picture of the Chiffons in there, you know, because they did he's you know, he's so fine, My sweet lord, he's so fine. So it's it's just when I saw that is it's in the library of Congress, you know, to me, I was like freaking out. But that's but they if they took that, they took many bars of that song. I don't think he did it consciously, George, because he was listening to the music. Because they put out a song called the King of Fuh which was originally Beat Puppy Records, And this is a song that they should have now out the mighty f king we played on a Hutchson River Radio O'Neil because it's spelled f U h K I n G. So you got that. But anyway, I can't say it on the air, but I guess I don't know on the internet you can say that. I mean, they won't clear it off.
Speaker 7: But I think one of the things that are present is doing answer. He's making language that we always toward our kids you can't use, and now we can't tetch them that now. Now, yeah, they could say, well the president says that, why can't I use it? And what do you answer?
Speaker 2: Is he your president? Because he ain't mine? And we just hit the brake. So we're gonna have the time. We're gonna have to. Yeah, I'm glad we got off of his thanks Neil, because I was about to use the actual word, but I didn't. We'll be back in a flash with gay Polis and to talk about more things that are happening currently and what we need to do to get things. Maybe I don't know, No Kings, is that protest gonna work? We'll see anyway, Please come back after these quick messages. Hudson River Radio dot com. This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: And we are back with Gaye Paulisner. We were talking about the our our Artemis mission and and things we really should like think about that we need to do also to to either fight backward do something we all feel helpless. You said before we started the show that you weren't even sure you know that you were in the mindset to do, you know, do the podcast today because of how you were feeling about what's going on. And uh, you know, people put their head in the send a lot of people, at least almost the third of the people, and then there's the third of us whose brains are melting, and then there's the third of the you know, the cult. I'll say that to be nice, and you know, what can we do? You know what can we do? And one of the things we did recently was the No King's Day and uh, there the numbers aren't completely out, but it was over eight million, close to nine which made it a million more than the previous one which was seven And there were every state and smaller towns and red towns, and yet we have this this regime in the White House. Now that does not care about the American people. They care about power. They care about money.
Speaker 3: Money.
Speaker 2: That's you know, that's a shade of green, right, Yes, money, money, money at least, you know. And if I get one of those dollars, one of those bills with his signature, I'm going to rip them. I'm going to burn it.
Speaker 4: If I rip it up.
Speaker 7: And if you go to the bank and they give you one of those that's an one hundred dollar bill, can you say, excuse me, I don't I don't want this one?
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 2: Will that caught me off?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: I what I would I burned the hundred I don't know. I don't think so for me.
Speaker 7: I don't think I burned the money. But I think I could say, no, I don't want this, give it to me in twenties, you know.
Speaker 2: You know, well, I don't know. That's the that's the craziest thing too. But but okay, what do you what do you feel about you know, the protesting you said you know you were going to go out. What what do you think that impact is having an impact?
Speaker 6: I think, like so many things, the answer to that is complicated, complex, not simple, and also one of the mistakes that we on the left are making, which is to judge whether something's valuable or not very in the black and white, and then dismiss it if we deem it not valuable, versus say, hey, that was great, and what will we do next. I think that the protests have been inspiring, have kept people going, have helped people to see how many people we have who feel the way we do and are willing to give up a day to.
Speaker 3: Go do something.
Speaker 6: And I think that one of the biggest problems with these protests is that one day here and there won't do it.
Speaker 3: We really need to.
Speaker 6: Take to the streets and stay in the streets and shut everything down. We're in the streets, and it's easy to see how difficult that is. And I think that one of the things I'm realizing, because if you watch a smaller country do it, the people take to the streets, they stay in the streets there there day and night. They don't leave the streets for periods of weeks until something gives.
Speaker 3: And in the beginning of this regime, I was.
Speaker 6: Constantly saying, why aren't we doing it, Why aren't we doing it?
Speaker 3: Why aren't we doing it?
Speaker 6: But one of the things I don't think I was taking into consideration is how large a country we are.
Speaker 4: And well, it's not the largeness of the country, it's.
Speaker 3: Well it's read out. Well that too, I get.
Speaker 6: That was my next That was the second half agreed, the second half of the sentences. But number one, how long, marge and spread out we are is a problem because if you took those eight million and you put them all in one place, the momentum might be different, it might feel differently, it might be more sustainable. But when you have instead these kind of pockets of things where it's easy to walk away and say, okay, I got to get back to regular things, and it doesn't seem to amount to enough.
Speaker 3: I think the how.
Speaker 6: Large and spread out, And then you bring in the diversity, and I think that our diversity has become incredibly challenging in that even amongst ourselves, whatever your self is, we have become split on so many things, and that we have lost sight of the fact that unlike some of the other countries we look to and see the things that they're doing, they don't have the kind of diversity we have, so they don't have the amount of complexity we have and what we've ended up doing here is kind of taken on these impossible standards for everything, and it also makes it hard to maintain these actions.
Speaker 3: And our immediate.
Speaker 6: Way of functioning right now seems to be to tear down instead of build up. And so one of the things I'm trying to model is one human being with a small platform combined of maybe five thousand people between my various you know, it's not big, but the people who know me through my books for a long time and then through my activism seem to care what I have to say, and it seems to motivate them. And one of the things that I try to bring to the table is that everything is not in either or situation. You can speak out against this while not hating everybody. You can speak out against this while not trying to destroy or tear it down.
Speaker 2: It's tough. It's tough to figure out though, as a person when you want to do something and you want to find like people, like minded people, but sometimes like minded people don't look as what you said. On the other side of the coin, you know, they're they're they're planted in what they believe, and you need to kind of look look around. You know that you know people, you know, if you don't look around, you're going to miss it. That's Ferris Bueller. You know, you know you got to take a look at life, and if you don't look around sometimes you're going to miss it. And things I think get lost in translation in a way, and that you know, people are The good part is that there are like minded people and we all feel the same way. And the question is how do we get how do we get to where we want to go?
Speaker 6: And how do you think about one of the things that I'm thinking as you say that, And it is not in small part influenced by the fact that my sister is a very practicing Buddhist and she's a Buddhist teacher, and I've been going to her teachings on a regular basis as a completely a religious but very spiritual.
Speaker 3: Human being, whatever that means.
Speaker 6: And when Buddhists and we were talking about the Walk for Peace and how moving all of that was. When Buddhists talk about their mind, you were just saying, you know, like minded. When Buddhists talk about their mind, it's not here, it's here. And I think that one of the I'm pointing to my heart for people who can't see me, my chest, my heart, where my heart lives. And I think that one of the things we really need to do is to stop worrying about if we're perfect like minded, and worry about whether we're perfectly like hearted, and that is that all human beings have a right to exist. They have a right to safety, they have a right to peace, they have a right to happiness if they can find that, they have a right to be safe in their own homes. You know, there are some very basic things we can all agree on. And I think that one of the things this regime has done, being ten years in office or still in the psyche of what's going on, is convince us that we're not like hearted.
Speaker 3: But we are. So many of us are like hearted.
Speaker 6: We might be misguided, we might be ignorant, but most of us, the majority of us, want the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want your kids to be safe, you want to have a roof over your head, you want to have food. I mean, right now, the liveability, the affordability is we're paying you know. I know in La Malcolm, I don't know what. The guess is always higher there, but.
Speaker 3: We're six dollars.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's close to six dollars. It's like about five to eighty right. Well here with cash not credit cards.
Speaker 2: Here it's over four dollars. It's it's over four dollars a gallon now and when I'm getting gas and becausen't like that.
Speaker 8: Before this debacle in Iran taking things philosophical, we were never I mean, first of all, we're still an experiment.
Speaker 7: You know, we're going to be two hundred and fifty years. That is nothing in comparison to Iran or a lot of other countries. I mean, who've been around you know, thousands of year, thousands of years, but have been around many more reas than we are. And also technology that we can destroy ourselves. Now, this was made you know when I was in high school and they had the Adam bomb, the atomic bomb.
Speaker 4: H this was a big bomb.
Speaker 7: Now that's that's nothing in comparison what we could do now and destroy ourselves. I don't know if you've ever seen this movie King of Hearts with Alan Bates. King of Horse takes place in World War World War One and there's a village in France that the English troops are liberating, but they're not sure whether the nazis nothing. The Germans have left, so they send Alan Bates into a look at there. In the meantime, the Germans have left, but they let the doors of the insane asylum open.
Speaker 2: All the people were nuts and it's about right here now.
Speaker 7: And they inhabited the town. But that you know, they were not violent nuts. They were fun nuts.
Speaker 2: And and and then sometimes you feel like a nuts.
Speaker 7: Sometimes when Alan Bates comes into the town, they think he's the king of hearts, and then you know, they make him the king, and then the Germans are and then he goes back to his troops and says, you know, they're out of town. Then the Germans come back, and the Germans and the English troops look at each other and they all get in the line ready and fire, and they all shoot each other.
Speaker 2: Oh fabulous.
Speaker 7: Wait and and the people in the asylum see this and they say, no, we don't want this, and they take a fold their costumes and go back into the asylum, which they think is outside. And then the end you see, you see Alan Bates naked, you know what, we see his butt and he's carrying a bird cage and he's ringing, and he's ringing the asylum because he wants to get in because the world is crazy.
Speaker 4: That's what I feel happening now. The world is crazy.
Speaker 2: It is crazy, and you want to go back to see the asylum.
Speaker 4: Didn't see that destroy the world?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean these people have the nuclear codes. You know, that's scared a living crap.
Speaker 7: Well, that one person then has the nuclear code. I don't know what would happen if he decides to do that.
Speaker 2: Say goodbye to Hollywood where.
Speaker 4: Anyone would stop him?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know. I don't think, I don't know. No one seems to be able to stop him.
Speaker 6: So that's that's a so far we seemed to talk about stopping him. Every time I see one of our politicians saying like, we're we were considering, I'm like, how long you're going to consider before taking action?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Especially well the general is what I think he's fired four generals in the last four months.
Speaker 2: No, who's like twelve? Much more? No, it's more than three four months, it's a dozen already.
Speaker 6: I want to take you back to one of back to Artemis for a second, because I think it's one of the reasons why Artemis is so important is when my kids were home for the pandemic and we were at the middle end of you know who's regime, and I was out protesting every week, and it was all I was talking about and.
Speaker 3: My sons.
Speaker 6: One of my sons, I think my younger son said to me, you know, kind of said to me, there's got to be another side to you. There's got to be He didn't say exactly this, but he was kind of like, we admire all you're doing. It's great what you're doing, but it's kind of the only thing you're doing. And from an adult perspective, you might have thoughts about that. But from a kid's perspective, especially forget my son now, but the children in grade school and middle school and high school, from their perspectives, they have been living through this so long. It's all they know and it's all they see, and it's in their faces. And it is why something like this mission, like the Olympics, like the people who do smallly heroic things, is so freaking important because it gives us a collective look how hard it is for us to not go there, right before the podcast we say like, okay, we can't talk about this, but it has permeated understandably everything we do. So to have something of significant value, of historic value, like this space mission gives them something to hold on to, some a shared shared humanity to talk about that's not negative humanity, that's not the loss of humanity, but actually allows them to see the beautiful side of humanity.
Speaker 2: And this is I mean from this whole mission so far. I'm just you know, pray for the safety of the crew there and everything goes well on their reentry. But what they have accomplished is amazing. Again, it took fifty four years to do this, and uh, you know after you know, after the the Shuttle that you know, blew up. It just that NASA program just that was that it was. It was gone for a long time. And then you got SpaceX and you got virgin and you got Bezos. You know, uh with his penis looking rockets, I mean, look at his rockets. You can see what that is. Yes, and and and and and you know, and the and then we didn't even touch billionaires in their effect on what's happening. Any No, No, I don't believe it does don't totally quote me, but from what I'm reading, it's NASA and Boeing and and it's the NASA, you know, all all the engineers and technology people and and it's to do this is amazing. It's something.
Speaker 6: It really is magical. It's actually magical. It's actually the magic that is missing.
Speaker 4: I was watching the launching and it's, oh my god, that they put that thing up.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I saw that the apollos were the Saturn five rockets, which I think this is even more powerful. But when I was there in the viewing area, the earth, you know the song, I feel the earth move under my feet. The earth know, Carol King hit it right, you know, the earth was moving under my feet and everyone else's and it would just rumbled through. I had never felt an earthquake before until my family moved to l A, and then I felt many.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I felt the earthquake right.
Speaker 2: But but but the rumble and the way it goes up and you're tracking it and just tracking, and then when the second part of it comes off, it trails down falls into the ocean, and then you know, like more, they're on their way and they're going to be you know, hitting.
Speaker 4: Going into the.
Speaker 7: Amazing that they can contact the people in the spaceship and talk to them. And the only time they couldn't talk to them when they were in the dark side of.
Speaker 2: The morning, the dark side of the moon, and and and I could. And what they saw, I mean, no one else has seen. And they have to be the ones explaining it. They are the storytellers. Not only they are an incredible you know, crew with amazing abilities, but to be able to see that and then can be reporting reporting back and pictures and such. Uh, it's just you know, and what.
Speaker 7: They still have that pressure when they when the rocket takes off. They don't talk about that anymore.
Speaker 2: The G force is insane and they.
Speaker 7: Don't talk I don't think I've heard them talk about that anymore. Used to be the one of the main topics.
Speaker 2: And say the G force and have that pressure on you, I mean they they have. I'm sure there's still plenty. I mean that look what you're sitting on top of. It's this small capsule sitting on a huge rocket. You know, it's you know, rocket man, it's still it's a rocket. And uh, it's it's just to see it into and then you know, and they said, like four hundred thousand people in the vicinity were watching this, and they would be in Titusville and Cocoa Beach, you know, and Daytona. You know, you can see it from all those spots. I was lucky enough again to be able to through my uncle who got us these passes, to be in on the ground itself in the area.
Speaker 6: You know, what I was thinking would be a cool thing. You forgive me if I'm throwing out like a ridiculous idea, but I was thinking as you're talking, I'm just thinking about what I was saying and what you're saying, and the fact that our kids so desperately need this hope and magic and miracle to hang on to. In that in addition to you know, the adults that have been watching it probably in classrooms around the country. Yeah, that's what The teachers are, fabulous educators who you know, do everything they do, are doing in these classrooms, and I was thinking it would be really cool to have a classroom teacher and their kids on and let them talk about what they got out of watching this space mission and how it helps their world view and what they learn from it. Because I think somewhere along the line, we have to keep steering these kids towards that space and magic and spirituality that comes with watching something like that. I don't mean religious spirituality. I mean it's something bigger than yourself.
Speaker 2: My spirituality is in the same the same spot as yours.
Speaker 3: But I was thinking of it just like that.
Speaker 2: That would be.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do, Yes, I do because of my books.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's maybe get together and have to be sooner rather than later. And they had some kids asking questions to the NASA people, and they were then giving those questions to the astronauts and they and one of the kids like basically said, if there's an emergency and you have to do CPR in space, how do you do it? This is a kid thinking this like this is a question. Yeah, uh, And I think it was Hansen. I don't know which it was Hansen or Wiseman. I'm not sure or they They did that this is how they would do it, because they they're floating in space, right, So how do you get yourself in a position to keep yourself still, you know, and keep the person still? And they said that they had to back up into things, you know, to put themselves against stuff in this small little. It's like two minivans traveling in space and they were able to pump you know and show the kid, you know what that they would do, and you know, just stuff stuff like that, I mean, and what they're thinking about, you know. So yeah, it would be great to have some some kids.
Speaker 4: And simple thing.
Speaker 6: How do you go to the bathroom without yes, I all, yeah, that's the first kid question and usually the second adult question.
Speaker 2: Right, Well that's yeah, well that's that's the bathroom. The toilet wasn't working.
Speaker 4: Right, you know, there's no gravity there, so you know, it doesn't they.
Speaker 2: Had they had a resort to they had to resort to bags again. But it's uh, it's it's something else to just think about. Again. If there's any Japanese engineers out there, helps out.
Speaker 4: Uh always say, don't want to get close to the astronauts when they come off till the shower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they do get to wash around or something. I mean, and then the big thing used to be tanged, but now it's uh, it's nutella. I mean, you talk about an ad campaign that they don't have to do anything. They get permission to show the astronauts sending nutella through gravity and the other one atching it. You know, I want this, But that was to me that was very funny that, you know, of all the things that they showed and focused on, it was they liked nutel office. It's okay that nothing. Apparently this is free ads. They should Their next ad should just be you know the guys. But anyway, so, I mean, I think we're getting to the rap here. What I never asked your shade of green? Quickly? I know it's at the end. I usually do it in the beginning. Do you have a shade of green today that we have to get out? I never I didn't ask that question, which is usually my front question.
Speaker 3: And I forgot to think about that.
Speaker 2: Today's a bad question. It's okay.
Speaker 6: I'm going to give you a very practical shade of green, sure, which is I have been very into the color green in my art, which is funny because as a kid, I didn't like the color green, but I especially like sort of a spring right right right, but the green. And when we hang up, there was no protest near me, and I just felt like I couldn't stay in the house today the whole day and go about business as usual. So I put out a call on my Facebook page that at six o'clock Eastern time, I'm just going to go out to the usual spot in my town where we usually protest and stand there with a sign that says peace, and I'm going to make wishes for the world and for the people and Iran that I know and the people in our country who are suffering that I know. And that sign is primarily green. So there's a very practical answer for you in terms of the lettering on the sign.
Speaker 2: Now, we got some green at the piece. We like to keep that. And where can people get information? You have so many books? We didn't we only mentioned one or no. That's okay, but next time we'll do more on the books. But where can they get hold of you?
Speaker 6: They can find me on social media at gay Paul g A E p O L. They can find me my books. Wherever our books are sold online, they can find me through you.
Speaker 2: It's it's at g A G A O L g A p O L.
Speaker 3: So I'll use that in my all my social media there right right, Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, well, you are an amazing person and and I just love to have you on and there's so much to talk about. There's so much going on in the world. And and I hope that cooler heads. No, I I just giving it. Think he gives an eight o'clock dead. I mean, I just people are nervous at eight o'clock. It's like something's going to explode, you know. Uh. And you know we both have kids, and you know we're just nervous wreck, you know, and nervous wreck at this point. I mean, I just I try to be calm in uh. You know, music is what makes me calm.
Speaker 3: And this this space, some of that beautiful music. It's still Sonny out, go outside.
Speaker 2: I'll take the dog out again. It's pretty windy, but it's okay. Uh. And yeah, it's just you know, you have to have your health. You know, I had a little health issue, but okay, so far I'm not going on the wood and and that's that's it. So all right. Go find Gay at Gay Paul the a E. P O. L with the little ad percent in front of it, and check out her books. Check out all the great things she's doing. Get activate yourself. People, do what you can, whatever you can, as small as it is, whatever it is.
Speaker 6: Putting kindness out into the world is something, it really is. I hugged a stranger in a parking lot the other day and it changed my whole day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just do do things. Acts of kindness are important now because right now there's a there was a song Goodbye True World, Bye Crew Worll. I'm off to join us, go gonna be a brokenhearted coom. I remember that I remember all these crazy songs because I grew up in a house of music that played all these crazy songs. But anyway, so we're gonna, we're gonna peace out right now, and I'm gonna say thanks for joining us. For the Many Shades of Green. For more info and shows, go to Hudson River Radio dot com, Malcolm Presents dot com and the Many Shades of Green dot com. Send you to send us your thoughts at TM Shades of Green on Instagram and threads and Facebook and all all the others. I'm not on X though I got off of that. Please subscribe to our podcast on all major podcasts apps. A shout out to Neil, who I cannot do any of this without. Thank Thank you Neil. Also to Brian and Malcolm for their help. Remember to pick malcome Malcolm. Malcolm gives us the move he has all the movies in the back of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that he knows all these movies from from He goes into his way back machine and brings them out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Well that was the job that I had with the screening old movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: That's My favorite is Casablanca.
Speaker 2: Well now we know when I ask you what your favorite movie is, what the answer is going to be. Anyway, So Picocheted Green, remember to Picocheted Green and raise your eco and social consciousness Maxie Margot Rubin and we'll see you again next time. Thanks.
Speaker 1: This is Hudson River Radio dot com.