Speaker 1: Steve Raba and Jacob Salmas. They had their Eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Stage shat Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome back to ying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, he's Jake. Now we have Bryan with breaking news.
Speaker 1: Lisa his eye on the ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Let's start with this.
Speaker 4: Arizona Football has announced their captains for the opener. Honorary captain is going to be Chris McAllister and then the five five captains, it's going to be Noah Flvida.
Speaker 2: Oh, so that's were gonna wait, he didn't They must have announced right after they They didn't do it at the press conference.
Speaker 5: Fact, Brandan was going to say who they were, and they said, we're doing a big announcement, so don't do it. So he So they didn't announce him at the press.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just so.
Speaker 4: The So Noah Fida, offensive lineman Josh Baker and Jonah savanea linebacker Jacob Manu and defensive backs Gunner Maldonado and Trade and Stukes.
Speaker 3: Those are the captains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you Well, we'll talk about this that you probably don't have enough to fill. Anybody wants to call to This is our last chance to talk to somebody.
Speaker 3: Right, we have guests. The last two segments.
Speaker 4: Right, Arizona volleyball gets underway tomorrow. They played their first match. Because there's some new rule changes too in the in the n C double a rule changes.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 4: So there's several changes, but the two that are most important for fans to know. Let's see something about what jewelry is allowed on the court.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know that was a.
Speaker 6: Thing, but we have a rule without here in the studio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one.
Speaker 4: So the first major change has to do with double contact. There will no longer be this one. No, only recalled at the ball does not cross the nets. If it is called, the play is not reviewable.
Speaker 3: Okay that makes no sense to me.
Speaker 6: But oh yeah, I don't either. I don't get to any other You.
Speaker 3: Don't get into the whole review. If you can review something, why don't you review it right?
Speaker 5: Why do you say, well, you can't review that so we might get it wrong, and even if we do, too bad.
Speaker 6: That's just certain things, yes, certain things.
Speaker 3: No dumbest thing ever.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's the other major change concerns the liberal libaro libero position. Each team can now designate to liberos instead of just one. Only one can be on the court at a time, but it gives some flexibility in the use of the liberal. Arizona experimented with one of those possibilities and its exhibition at Northern Colorado.
Speaker 6: You know what that is, yeah, yeah, it's it's the center.
Speaker 3: Well, it's part. It's a person that plays in the back line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they've had it for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I know, I know it is. I just didn't know if you Oh yeah, yeah, I don't know if you're a volleyball guy or not. No, no, not really, but I know what that is, all right, that's like the old purpose, Yes exactly.
Speaker 4: I couldn't give you any positions of volleyball if that same save my life. So sort to the NFL. Some breaking news Niners and Brandon they have reached a four year million dollars.
Speaker 3: Oh so he's stayed after all that time, after all that, right, The good thing is he's thinking, I didn't have to go through the preseason.
Speaker 5: And again, you know, look, you guys want to get paid and all that kind of stuff. But you know, with some of the teams that they was talking about having to go to versus a team that was in the Super Bowl last year, It's like, why are you playing? I know you're playing for the money, but you also aren't you also playing for championships? And uh so, oh good. I you know, I know a couple of people who'll be happy with that, because he's really good. I mean, even though it's for me, it's he's still really good.
Speaker 4: I was I was hoping you'd go to the Patriots just because I wanted to see a good wide receiver for them.
Speaker 3: But they suck.
Speaker 5: They're really there. They look really bad. Jacoby Brissett's their starting quarterback. Oh sorry, go ahead, So yeah, the starting quarterback over there. Number three draft take Breake May. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just like, I mean, I guess. I mean, if you take a guy that high, don't you start him no matter what.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I don't know, but it comes to the thing we talk about, at least I'm talking with you about.
Speaker 6: It is the book Sway. You invested all this money.
Speaker 2: And this kid, you better be good use them and you and you have to you have to find a way because you spend all this money to justify It's like you bought the car, drive the damn car, the car, but you're afraid of driving the car in the why you don't want driving, you know, because you don't know the driver could drive that car.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then it's like what's happening in Atlanta with the quarterback situation there with Pennix and uh, a cousin is a cousin. Yeah, so this cousin is going to be the starter, right, yes, and so that's another situation, but said no, no, no, But that's my point is you you you get cousins and all of a sudden you picked this kid thinking well what and then cousins think of the same thing. On'd you move me here? When you're gonna get this kid? And I'm not going to be the apprentice. I'm not gonna be the guy.
Speaker 3: But you know.
Speaker 2: Cousins, yeah, yeah, so you can always good to have insurance. But this is the NFL and they have egos, right. It's like the guy from Denver who said I'm capable of being or I should be the number one guy.
Speaker 6: I could prove it. But you have about Nix in front of me and they to your point, that's what they're doing.
Speaker 3: That's what they're doing. I mean they except we got this guy, we're gonna play this.
Speaker 4: Speaking of some other extension, news ordered the NBA Warriors and Steph Curry. They agreed to a one year, sixty two point six million extension. He still had two years left on his extension, so.
Speaker 3: Now he's got three years. So he's got three years something about sixty a year, sixty two men for one year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he he's breathing hard to give me sixty two thousand for one years here?
Speaker 3: Oh man, Wow, that's something.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: It looks like the only reason he did is because there's an NBA over thirty eight role. He'll be thirty eight at the end of his current contract, so he was able eligible.
Speaker 6: Theres me that balls me the ball.
Speaker 3: He's going. I mean, he's kind of going downhill too, Like he's.
Speaker 6: Not who Curry, who are you going downhill? Not like that, He's just not.
Speaker 3: What he's pretty damn capable to tell the people in the Olympics. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, I want you to explain your job might depend on this. No, actually, we doesn't you know what?
Speaker 3: You know what you know what's causing all this? That damn Braves had.
Speaker 6: Streaking his hand his head. I get what you're saying. He's getting older. I think you can assume that.
Speaker 3: But but still damn good.
Speaker 6: I mean I would Who would you take Steph for Lebron today? Yeah? Today? I think I mean too you? So what are you saying about Lebron? Just at a faster pace?
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's further down the hill.
Speaker 2: Both both are pretty damn good going down the hill. Well, hell, I'm already in the hill, seeing how do I get back on the hill. That's all I have for Okay, what was I going to say to you? I was gonna say something, Oh, man, see I'm going down here. I had forgotten about. Oh oh I saw something.
Speaker 6: Did you see this?
Speaker 2: College athletes in Montana are reportedly being offered cash to make endorsement videos for Senator ton John Testa. Nil given nil money to go endorse.
Speaker 6: Cab hand today. What the hell?
Speaker 3: I guess there's no rules against that, right, What the hell?
Speaker 6: I got a call?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know about that. Let's take this call.
Speaker 8: I are on the art and nine on the ball, Hi Jay, I'm gonna do you a favorite what I want to make sure you can go to sleep and be excited for the next two or three nights. Why if I'm coaching that team, I'm looking forward on the first kickoff, when you take the ball to the twenty eight yard line, I'm going to move myself as close as I can to the line of scrimmage, and I'm going to try to establish the most important dynamic of the game. In three plays, I'm gonna run the ball to the left, I'm gonna run the ball to the right, and I'm gonna run the ball up the middle. So I know that my Matt Trucks are controlling the line of scrimmage. You established that it's hard to.
Speaker 5: Recover it is, and I think I think that's really the one thing that going into the game that we're I said I shouldn't say we, that I know I'm looking for is to see can they dominate, you know, on the on the lines, because that's that's always been the question market Arizona. And I know, I don't know how much we're gonna know about how they do against New Mexico, but what we will know is if they can't run against New Mexico.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna be able to run against anybody else.
Speaker 8: They're in trouble. I don't think that's gonna be the case. I want to see them go boom boom bang.
Speaker 3: Yep, I agree with you.
Speaker 8: And we're at the we've already gained fifteen yards. Let's do it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you. That's what I want to see. Yeah, all right, cool, thanks Jim No, I agree.
Speaker 5: You know, that's what we want to see. Uh, that they just pushed these guys around. Because if you remember North Dakota State that they put all the big night long, Arizona was lucky to win that game, and there were a couple of times, even I think in the I think the Washington game last year, Arizona got pushed around on the lines but somehow managed to stay in the game. But you know, in USC, I remember being surprised at how well Arizona pushed USC around that night. So, uh, that's what I'm looking for. That's what I'm going to be paying most attention.
Speaker 3: To on Saturday night.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, so I got that out. Was there anything else? Basketball? Anything else? There had to be something. Uh, If I said we had time.
Speaker 2: If anybody want to else, want to call we out four minutes before we get to uh to Jake and nothing that you had. I had something and I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 3: I've been on the run all day long. Today's deep. I'm just a busy guy.
Speaker 6: Yes, you are going to press conferences? How many? How was that attended? Same usual, the same guy. It's like five six guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was, you know, I can give you the roll call it was. It was justin and and uh and sure, Brian Jefferies was there. Sheer was there, and his wife, Brett Brian Peterson was there, Troy Troy was there, and the town four reporter was there. Okay, doesn't remember her name again?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just to usual suspects suspects, Yeah, okay, I think that was all.
Speaker 6: And in the back you brought the age up I did.
Speaker 3: I raised. I raised the average age of that room by a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I didn't go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: In fifteen minutes, yep, fifteen minutes of breuveting stuff.
Speaker 3: We played all the good stuff. I'm kind of think there are a couple of clips that we didn't that we didn't play, but it wasn't much anything that was shortened.
Speaker 6: We get a little minute maybe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we do have one more clip. So Brandon was asked about his set. What he does on Saturdays on game days?
Speaker 3: Just do what do you do? Here's here's what he said for you. What do Saturdays look like for you?
Speaker 9: Do you have any like rituals or something that you follow like you personally or what are your Saturday mornings like when you're getting ready for the game Saturday night.
Speaker 6: That's a good question.
Speaker 7: I always like to try and get a run early in the morning. I normally try and I try and keep my routine the same. You know, the last whatever, so many years at San Jose, even in Oregon State we had we had so many night games. Like the night games are hard just because you kind of have to wait all day to play. So really you're just trying to relax watch football, you know, kind of have some more conversations with the staff about the game plan that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you mean to tell me their coaches are normal people like us.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't think they were right.
Speaker 5: I thought coaches, even for a night game, would be in their office at you know, eight o'clock in the morning getting ready and stuff like that, going over the last minute stuff. But he said, you know, as he's walking down, he said, yea, I'm gonna watch some football.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 6: So you know who's the more normal dude that I've ever met? Coaching? Tellmy Lloyd? Yeah, just to dude, you don't watch game? What's your game? You know my wife will be cooking and this asking that question, what are you going to? Well, I'm just my mom.
Speaker 2: You know, I might take a glimpse of it. My wife will be cooking and we'll be talking and maybe I'll take it. We'll watch the game, and it's just a normal dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, real quick, yeah, real quick. One last call. Hi, you're on the R and I on the ball.
Speaker 10: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 8: Guy's vic?
Speaker 6: Vic? You got a minute? One minute?
Speaker 11: Okay, real quick, real quick. I want to argue with Jay. I don't want to see him run the ball for five hundred yards.
Speaker 3: I want to see t Mac could get a fifty yard and Patterson over the middle for thirty.
Speaker 11: Forget that running the ball stuff. I mean it's cool and.
Speaker 6: All that, but.
Speaker 11: I did you go see show?
Speaker 8: Hey you hit single pound?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 5: Well I agree, but I still want to see them run the run the hell out of the ball. I want to see them be able.
Speaker 3: To run the ball.
Speaker 11: Input it that way, go yard or go home? Jay?
Speaker 3: All right, man, thank you, Ben.
Speaker 6: Are you going to be there?
Speaker 10: Vic?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, Deck Yeah, thirty pals.
Speaker 6: On Okay, all right, we'll see you. We'll see you, Okay, okay, cool just in Ton, good call, real quick call. We'll come back on the other side and get a.
Speaker 3: Hold of Jake.
Speaker 12: The Windows Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one stuff warehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shot the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project, need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shot the Windowdepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom. It was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 3: At Arizona Health, our goal.
Speaker 5: Is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 3: Arizona House the.
Speaker 6: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 3: On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales. Last month of nineteen fifty two, tops Mickey mantles sold for twelve point six million. Lebron James Rookie so for five point six. Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years.
Speaker 6: They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 13: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or call five time two six five six two six Today, MLS three or eight seven Arizona BK two and nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity now It commitment to Lyndrix, syncredic rates and available loone programs of SUBJCT to change the undice.
Speaker 15: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball softball, volleyball and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 9: Got bugs, termites, fees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of you are bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jake and Salez they have their eye on the ball. On Tucson's Sports Day chet Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live.
Speaker 9: I mean IHG Radio, wap.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Iron the Ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Riverta. He's Jagan Zalez. Got a guy Ryn. Now we have Jake Fisher, our usual guest on the weekends. Before the weekend, Jake, how are you?
Speaker 11: I'm great. It feels weird to be doing this on a Thursday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we you know it turns me off, Jake.
Speaker 5: I you know, I all yesterday I thought Wednesday with I thought Tuesday was Wednesday. Wednesday was Thursday, and it's Thursday, and now I wish the game was tomorrow, but it's not.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, get me all excited. I thought I was gonna be able to go down to Tu Sun tomorrow to walk the game. But now I gotta wait some mornay.
Speaker 6: So you're gonna make your presence here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm going to be taking my brother down there.
Speaker 6: Okay, because you you it's rare for you to come down for a game, isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but we had to get season tickets this year. I mean, just you know, it's one of those things to where when you're consistently not that great, you know, it's kind of hard to invest in the program. As bad as that sounds, but it's just one of those things to where we're on the you know, on the rise, and we want to kind of do our parts to help. So we want to he got season tickets and uh, we'll be there.
Speaker 6: Well, good for you.
Speaker 5: That's cool because I mean just yesterday Desiree re Friends, I was talking about how many more season tickets sold this year.
Speaker 3: You're one of those Jake Way to go.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we got two of them.
Speaker 6: All right, No, cool? Well cool. So let's stick with the theme of the day.
Speaker 2: So when you played, you played, and you get ready for the game, like to like Saturdays first game of the year, did you get nervous?
Speaker 6: And if you did, how long did that last?
Speaker 11: You get a little jittery because you're excited, and you know as soon as you hit somebody else with a different color jersey on, it all goes away. Now it's just you know, make your reads, fly to the ball, to your best to make the tackle or make the block. And after the very first you know snap, I mean, it's good to go, you know, like my freshman year was obviously the worst. Never played a college football game before in my life. You go out and I was on kickoff, so I was gonna end up hitting somebody regardless. So it's like runnings back as you can go, hit somebody, try to make a good play. After that, all the jitters go away. And then from sophomore year on, just because we were starting on defense, it was, hey, you know, go out, make your first read, you know, kind of check your keys, go and try to hit somebody, and it doesn't matter even if you don't hit anybody on that first play that you're out there, all the jitters kind of go away.
Speaker 6: Okay, are you looking at stuff?
Speaker 2: Because we talked about this a time or two, and you know how people look at games just to flow, he's kind of been under the radar.
Speaker 6: We haven't really mentioned, haven't heard a lot about it, right right? What do you think? I'm sure you've seen him play like you specifically, how you focus on him? What do you see or what did you see?
Speaker 11: You said?
Speaker 7: Who? Who?
Speaker 6: Flow?
Speaker 3: Justin flow?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: Justin flow? I mean incredible athlete, big strong kid, uh, fast as hell. I mean he could end up being the best special teams player on the team. I mean, use him. I mean, can you imagine putting that dude, that gunner, Like, there's nobody that's quick enough that can stay in front of him, that's big enough to where you know, if you just get in front of him, he'll just knock you over. I mean, I would put him on every single special team's package. I'd put him in some you know, third and long packages where you just let him try to get after the quarterback. I mean, use the guy. You know, you got a freak athlete like that. I don't know why you wouldn't, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's what kind of we've been waiting for, you know, to see it. I don't know, Well, maybe this is, you know, maybe this is the year. I don't know. I mean he was effective last year times and during you know, during certain games and six situations. But when you look at the specimen that he has, you kind of expect a lot from him.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and even on goal lines, like you know, goal line where it's you know, first and goal on the three or the four, where you have to kind of condense your playbook, you know, you're probably gonna end up running. If not then you know you have a few guys in the back end that are key and on certain guys that can go out in the past, I mean, I would just have him go downhill and try to wreck things. You know, there are very there are some specific things that you can really use him for where he can be extremely effective. And I know that the staff just from reading up on articles and everything like that, I know the staff's probably going to try to take advantage of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So as a player, what do you see in him?
Speaker 11: And him just the ultimate package man? I mean, if he knew how to get back, drop back, you know, pass off crossers, make a couple of different reads, he'd be an All American caliber type player. But I mean, listen, there are some folks that have absolutely none of the athleticism and god given ability that he has and they know all the reads. So it's kind of you know, you can't call him really a tween er. He honestly, if this is twenty years ago, he'd be a first or second round draft pick. But because now you know, you have spread offenses, you have different passes, you have RPOs, you have things of that nature. I mean, some of those times and say it's going to be tough for them. So just put them in a good position where he can succeed and you can kind of use his skills to your advantage and they'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Some stuff was said.
Speaker 5: Brent Brennan in his press conference today talked about how the coaches think that this group of players is. I think he said that Alkina said that this group of players is more together or Biber said it was more together than any.
Speaker 3: Team he's ever been around. How I mean, it's we know it's a big deal, but how big a deal is it to be together like that? And how big a deal is it when you're not.
Speaker 11: Well, when you're that together as a team. You know, from what I can tell just from the teams that I've a part of, whether it's football or basketball, when you're that together, you play harder for each other. You tend to, you know, you tend to kind of feed off each other's energy, and you know you practice harder because you're playing your truly are playing for the guy next to you. So and trust me, they had to be that together for them to take you know, for that many guys to come back and take a chance on a brand new head coach, you know, coming into Arizona, I mean, you had some of these guys, you know, all American caliber guys that committed to staying. They didn't even know who their offensive coordinator was going to be. So you got to be that together. But you know, the only way you could be that together is you have to have a couple of leaders I can kind of galvanize the troops. And we've got those guys so very happy that we had the type of leadership that we did, you know, below the coaching staff, you know ranks obviously, and for them to keep that kind of core together without knowing what was going to happen in the future, that's pretty that's pretty admirable.
Speaker 6: So let me ask you, was there a dude on your roster that you played with that you played hard for?
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, of course there's guys that you play hard for. I mean, you know, for example, I played hard for the guys that I was playing linebacker with just because you're with them every single day. He created special relationships with the guys that are in your room twenty four to seven. You know, you go out and eat with them, you hang out with them after games. You know, Obviously during practice you're together the entire time. You're in a bunch of the same classes together. But then a couple of the guys that I knew from Tucson, right, like those guys I played hard for. So you know, obviously you have guys you get along with a little bit better than others. But you know, the fact of the matter is these guys, all, you know, a lot of them came in the same class, so a lot of them, you know, they hung out together outside of the football facility, so they created that special bond that they needed in order to kind of take the step forward that they were able to do last year.
Speaker 6: So Jay goes to my point last year.
Speaker 2: So you can even tell Jake this because I got into it a little with Lamont saying when when Noah came in to replace.
Speaker 6: Tell me the start.
Speaker 2: Jay James j La to me, it seemed and I've seen a few games. I think I know what I'm talking about. He played, they played harder for him. He sort of saved the game against Stanford, and it just looked like there was a different team out there.
Speaker 6: So I know what happens. I know what happens.
Speaker 11: Shake well, yeah, and the fact that he came in knowing the playbook he had. He had that kind of ara around him where you just kind of were comfortable that you knew he was going to do the right thing. You know. I listened to other people on radio shows, I read up on different articles, and a couple of the people basically said, hey, listen, if you're open, he's going to get it to you. Whereas when they were on the field and JD. L Was playing, you know, he was basically looking at t mac or Bus or Jacob Cowing or Bus. So you know, you know that he knows the field. You know that he knows the guys. You came in the exact same time as he did. You know, obviously he's a great leader. You guys are all friends and whatnot. So to me, just you know, when you know that you got a quarterback, you know, it's like when we were with Stoops and Nick Foles came in, those guys new we had a quarterback. But then when rich Rock came in and Matt Scott had, you know, matured as a leader and he was better fit for that offense. I mean, those guys played their tails off for Matt. So I mean it's kind of a mix and match thing. But you know, Noah, he's just one of those guys that I you know, I just feel like he galvanized the troops in a way to where you knew you were going to get the ball if you're open, so you're gonna work harder to.
Speaker 6: Get over right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the case like that, when you have a you know that you have to have that kind of leadership for a team like that. Does it have to be the quarterback or how much better is it because it is the quarterback.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's probably better if it is the quarterback because he's got his hand on the ball, you know, every single play. So if you have a guy that's a great leader, you know that he's a good player. You know he's going to get you the ball. You know he's going to make the right reads.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 11: That's one thing. But it doesn't have to necessarily be a quarterback. You guys, remember last year when Michigan played against Ohio State and that offensive lineman went down. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd or a team get as quiet in one hundred thousand plus, you know person stadium than they did when all American went down, So you know, it doesn't have to necessarily be a quarterback. In my opinion, if it is a quarterback, that just kind of adds to it. But you know, the leaders come in all shapes and sizes, you know, all different positions, and it just depends what they're made of.
Speaker 2: Yet, right, right, right, So what are you looking forward to on Saturday being here in person?
Speaker 11: Well, obviously I want to have a few of the spectacular plays by you know, t Mac and Noah. I want to see the offensive line and the running backs absolutely grind this team into the ground. You know, I think that we have a very solid opportunity to be one of the top two or three rushing teams in terms of yards per Carrie and Yak in the Big Twelve this year. And you know what, listen, if we don't have to lead with the pass, that's even better. However, if team tries to stack the box and you got Noah, you got T Mac, I mean, you know, good luck. But another thing I want to see. I want to see what the defensive line looks like. I know that coach Brennan and a couple of the other guys, so that that's going to be the biggest surprise on the team. I know the defensive backfields are going to be fine. I know Jacob Mono's going to be fine. What I really do want to see is who else besides t Mac is going to step up. If you can get a guy you know that does even a certain percentage of what Jacob Cowing was able to do, or if you're able to get two or three guys to step up, you know, young guys that are able to consistently make big plays and open up things for Team Mac, then that's great because we all know that T is going to get his share of cashes, his share of touchdowns. But if they're able to do what they can do, then it'll just make it easier on them.
Speaker 5: Yeah really, I mean, how how much better was Team Mac last year because of Jacob? Colleen I think had something that kind of got under maybe underappreciated a little.
Speaker 3: Bit in that.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, Kellying, look how many the guy had, you know, Like it was one of those things to where they would sit back because they thought they were going to take the top off with Timac and he would just do a little whip route or a quick out route get the first down. Move the chains and you could tell that just really really frustrated the defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I hear you, and they they got to have that guy, and I'm maybe we find out who that is, you know, on Saturday.
Speaker 5: I think that that is something to keep an eye on. Who's you know, who's the next guy or who are the next two or three guys. Then no Feat is going to throw the ball to because he had he had a bunch of those guys last year and that's what made him so effective.
Speaker 11: And again, I like, the good thing about the next two games is against you know, opponents that are not going to challenge for a Big twelve title, So go ahead and get their feet wet before we get into the Kansas States and the Utah's.
Speaker 5: Right, right, No, I I like I like hearing that because I you just again, Jake, I'm just nervous, and I'm not gonna be nervous. I'm not nervous about these two games coming up. I'm just nervous about how the season's going to end and where are they going to be at the end, because the one thing I don't want to have happen is to have all this anticipation, have these guys fall flat on their faces and then the fans go away again. I want I want to see these guys do something kind of special this year. Maybe they can, maybe they they should, but you'd like to see that, and that's what I'm.
Speaker 3: Looking for as a fan.
Speaker 11: Well, the way I see it is it's our time. We haven't had back to back ten win seasons. We haven't had this many potential first second round draft picks on a team in quite some time. We've got the coaches back together, We've got all the u of a guys that you know, basically bleed red and blue. So I think it's all kind of you know, coming together at the right time. And now it's just, you know, time to play big boy football and you know, see what we're made of. So the good thing is you've got those nerves. I mean, remember back when someone was here and it's like, well, I know we're only going to win my two games. It's good to have the nerve because there's expectations that when it comes down to it. I'd rather be in that position than just I'm just gonna I assume it's going to be a gun, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, they even what do you mean they even found a way to get into your pockets for the season, So, which is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks man, Hey, Jake, thanks the whole bunch, man, lady.
Speaker 6: See you Saturday, Oh, Jake Fisher, Yeah, see you Saturday. So what time is it now? Yeah, we gotta go. Yeah, so we take the break and get ahold of it in competition.
Speaker 5: And we'll have Eric Tors of national podcaster Fox Sports Radio Tours on Arizona covering youas stuff down here.
Speaker 3: So come on back and listen to Erin Taurs.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 16: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shure room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday Ready to save but not sure where to begin?
Speaker 17: Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big.
Speaker 6: Watch your savings grow to help.
Speaker 17: You reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today, bed Really Insured and CUA. Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 14: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 6: For over twenty years. We want you to join the action.
Speaker 14: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income. Come be a part of a winning team the A Team Apply online today at a Team security dot net.
Speaker 6: Streaming live I.
Speaker 9: Mean iHeartRadio Act.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacob Salez on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 6: Hey Welcome back to Eyeing the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Rivera. He's Jacin Sauce. Now on the phone, we have Aaron Torres from Fox Sports Radio. Aeron, how are you.
Speaker 16: Well?
Speaker 11: I'm okay.
Speaker 10: You know, I was supposed to come on with you guys yesterday and you get the big heavy hitters.
Speaker 11: How was How did you guys have a chance.
Speaker 10: To speak with Desiree and curious to hear what she had to say about about the year ahead for Arizona Athletics.
Speaker 6: Well, she's excited, obviously. Yeah, she's excited.
Speaker 2: You know, she has her challenges and we all know what those are money wise, but she's excited.
Speaker 6: She has a new coach.
Speaker 3: Yes, she fired up.
Speaker 5: And you know, here's the thing that threw us a little bit though. They're having a white out without calling it a white out in that I don't know what.
Speaker 3: The hell that means, but they're doing it. They told everybody to wear white, but they're not calling it to white out, so I don't know what that means.
Speaker 6: So so Eric, let me ask you.
Speaker 2: You're in the West Coast. I think you're an area you cover Arizona, But do you cover other schools like you do Arizona.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, you know, being a national college sports analyst, you know, I try to pay attention to as much as I can. I mean, obviously you can't follow everything, but you know, obviously, in basketball, Arizona's a school you always have your finger on the pulse of. But obviously, over the last probably eighteen months to two years, the football team has become a program that you have to follow as well. So, yeah, Steve, I try to watch and follow and consume as much as I can and talk to as many smart people as I can. And I'll tell you I am excited about Arizona football this year. I am excited, frankly, just about the state of the Big twelve five ranked teams. I think there's probably even a couple of unranked teams that are good enough to win this conference if things break right. So I don't know if that really answers your question, but I try my hardest to follow everybody. Uh, but obviously some schools you kind of are paying a little bit of closer, closer attention.
Speaker 3: No, I think it does.
Speaker 5: So let me ask you from the national standpoint, you know, we're in this era now you got you know, we got Power four instead of Power five. You got these conferences that are going to have incredible matchups when once they get into conference play, the types of games that we always wished we had, you know, Michigan playing USC and all the you know, Alabama and Texas that are going to happen week in and week out. I mean, how fired up are you guys like you who cover this stuff on a national basis to have that kind of content coming up all year long?
Speaker 10: Well, I'm I'm obviously excited. What I think is really interesting. You know, everybody talks about the positives of it, Oh, you get Alabama, Texas. Uh. But what I think is interesting this is the part that that people don't talk about. And you guys are college football fans just like I am, is somebody's got to lose these games, right, And there's gonna be good teams in the SEC, good teams in the Big Ten that take three, four to five losses. And it was funny, you know, I was doing another radio interview earlier today, and I think that, you know, especially in the SEC and the Big Ten, I think we just think that all of these oh, you know, twelve spots seven at large bid. This team's gonna get in, that team's gonna get in. There's gonna be one there's gonna be good teams that get left out. But two, I think there's going to be a lot of fan I think that the pressure is only going to ratchet up for those second tier teams. Now, Georgia Ohio State, I think that's a little bit of a different conversation about for them, it's not about making the playoff, but how far you go. But like you know, LSU is gonna be in Vegas on Sunday night, and it's like LSU loses to USC. You know, you look at their schedule. They got ahlle Miss, which is a top ten team, they got Alabama, which is a top ten team. All of a sudden, it's a little bit harder to find that pathway for them to make that twelve team college football playoff. And that's that's the type of school that is expecting on a year in, year out basis, to to to be there. You know, Penn State has been on the fringes of the playoff conversation basically go ten and two every year and you think, well, you know, an expanded playoff helps them, but now they got to play USC Now Oregon's in their conference. So I'm excited and I don't want to be a glasses half empty guy, but I think we're all looking at the positives and the excitement. But you know, as a guy who you know, I'm about the content and I'm about the interesting stories. I think it's going to be interesting to see the teams that aren't in the mix late in the season and how their fan bases react.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question. So let me ask you, do you think Arizona is at all overlooked? Is that okay, if they're overlooked, they're in the top twenty five, but.
Speaker 10: So so yeah, I do think you guys, I think they are overlooked. And I don't know if it's you know, I know, coach, first of all, I understand that it's a little bit of a you know, it's not a program that you traditionally every year have to kind of pen in as an elite you know, top ten, top twenty even top twenty five team, but you know, coming off a ten win season last year, obviously bringing back the Fafita team at combination, and I think Faffita, you know, I think the people that follow this sport think he could be in the Heis and race laid. I think I did think that there was going to be a little bit more buzz about them this time of the year, and it doesn't feel like on a national scale there is, I think. But what I would also say too, from the Big Twelve perspective, I think the buzz about Big twelve football is what I said, is the potential for parody in that league, the potential for again six to seven teams to potentially win that league. So I get it, and I get that, hey, there's not one team that's definitively in the top five and everybody else is looking up at them. But to answer you guys question directly, I guess I am a little bit surprised. I felt like there would be a little bit more buzz based on the season of a year ago, based on having a Heisman Trophy quarterback by the way he's one, having a potential early first round picket wide receiver, and t Mac. I guess I am a little surprised that there isn't a little bit more buzz about the Wildcats this year.
Speaker 5: Well, is the Big Twelve as a whole I feel like they're they're being underestimated a little bit. They keep using the parody angle to say, well, you guys are going to beat the hell out of each other all season long, so you're only going to get one team in the playoff while we expect the SEC to get five.
Speaker 3: Are they being overlooked a little bit?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: And I that's the one thing, guys that you know, I I don't know if I'm a little bit bothered by, but I do think a lot of the national talking heads, uh you know, not the good ones like.
Speaker 8: Me, like you, the national guys.
Speaker 10: I think one listen, I get it. You know, the SEC schools, the Big ten schools, they are schools that you know that that largely the you know, in football anyway, the biggest fan base is the you know, they create the most interest whatever. Okay, I get all that, but I do think there is uh this vault of well, you know, the ACC stinks and the Big twelve stinks, and that you know, even though we're calling it a power for those two conferences aren't on the same level as the SEC and the Big Ten. And it's like, why don't we just see how the games play out? Right, you know, I mean you look at you know again a Utah. I mean, you know, Utah dominated a league for years that of course featured Oregon and USC and Washington and so and yeah, I know Utah went eight and five last year. They were also playing with a third string quarterback. So like that's an example. Obviously, Kansas State was the Big twelve champion two years ago in a year where TCU went to the college football playoffs. So I actually agree with you, guys, is I don't like this narrative, Like it just feels like the powers that be are already trying to shape this narrative. Of those are by far the two best conferences. They deserve all of the benefit of the doubt. And I'm much more of a person that let's let's see it all play out on the field before we make those big sweeping conversations like that.
Speaker 2: Other than other than Noah and t Maac, what are you looking forward to see from from Arizona, because we all know those two guys.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think I just think the big thing is, obviously there was some guys lost along the defensive front from a year ago, and just how how this team has reloaded and and just in general the defense. I mean, you guys know it. I remember talking to you guys at this time last year. Is that that two years ago, Uh, the offense had kind of come around under you know, the previous coach, but the defense wasn't there. And then last year, obviously they made a big leap, but then you lose a lot of guys up front, Uh, you know that are no longer with the programs. So I think that's ultimately at the end of the day, what's either going to be lead to the success or failures of this team is kind of the guys that were brought in to replace, you know, the guys that basically the guys on the defensive side of football, the guys that were either brought in to replace or or who have developed within the program. I know when you stee when you say what areas the defense is kind of a big generalization, But obviously I think that's going to be the part that that defines the season because as good as Noah, Noah Fafita and t Maac are, they're gonna need help on the other side of the ball as well.
Speaker 5: All Right, so let's let's talk a little bit about nationally I know you you know, you make picks and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Who you know, who we're looking at? Is it the usual suspects?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 5: When you start thinking about the college football playoff, you know, is it Georgia? Is it Ohio State?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: I think a lot of people are kind of backing off of Alabama with with Kaitlyn Boor in his first year, but uh, you know who who are going to be talking about.
Speaker 3: At the end of the year.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, I listen. I think all those teams that are in the that have always been in the mix, They're not going anywhere. I think what I'm kind of curious about, big picture, is just how how the twelve team playoff looks where you're potentially, if you include a conference championship game, you could be playing five postseason games. Now, if you win it, you get the first round by if you don't win it. So if if Alabama and Georgia play in the SEC championship game, one of them is going to have to play in that first round, which means that one of them would potentially have to win five postseason games to win a national championship. So what I'm kind of curious about is one during the season, it's probably is it gonna be less about style points? You know, I was on in Alabama today, and you know, if you're up thirty one to ten, and you know, maybe you would send your starters out there to start the fourth quarter. Maybe thirty one to ten is too close of a score, but you get The point is that, you know, maybe in a previous year you'd send out the starters for another possession or two. Well, now you obviously want to keep guys healthy because they could be playing up to seventeen games, but you also have to kind of start to build that depth kind of within the program because again, you could be playing seventeen games. So that's what's interesting to me. But I do think the teams that have been able to recruit and retain year over year are the ones that have the advantage because I do think the depth is gonna be the biggest factor. And who's still in the mix in now mid to late January when the championship has played, So yeah, I think it's it's Georgia. Ohio State might have the best roster in the country. I still don't fully believe in Ryan Day. I really do like Oregon I know Dan Lanning hasn't had that real signature win yet. They lost to Washington twice last year, but I mean, he's just bringing in so much talent. And then I'm kind of curious about some of those second tier teams. You know, Missouri's kicking off right now. They're a right around a top ten team Ole miss. I don't know if any of them have enough to ultimately win a national championship, but those are the kind of schools that wouldn't surprise me if they stay in the top ten all year. Maybe they would have been six seven eight in a previous year and been outside the playoff. Now they're going to have a shot at that that twelve team twelve team playoff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you I know Jay's been waiting for months for this day to start. Are you as giddy as Jay?
Speaker 10: I am? And I'll tell you, you know, it's just what it is, guys is And I'm sure you guys feel the same way. But you know, I just get tired of talking about the same things over and over and over and over again.
Speaker 11: And you know, we've all had.
Speaker 10: Our opinions on college football in the NFL since the last season ended, and since rosters came together and in the case of the NFL, the NFL draft, and it's like, I'm just ready for games.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: I was hosting Fox Sports Radio yesterday and it's like, I'm tired. I'm tired of talking about Aaron Rodgers. Is he actually going to be healthy? Is he not healthy? I'm tired, Like, just get me a game to see. By the way, the game that's about to start right now, Colorado. Everyone has an opinion on them. I think they actually could be pretty good. Well, it's time for me to shut up. It's time for everybody else to shut up, and it's time to find out if they're actually legitimate legitiate not. So Yes, I am fired up, if only because we have something new to talk about and I don't have to hear people talk about the same five topics that they've talked about for the last seven or eight months.
Speaker 6: So don't shut up. You got five minutes left, So let me ask you.
Speaker 2: Aaron, he's polarizing, obviously, Dion, where do you sit on him treating or you know, mandating the depress and all that. You can't talk to you, You can't ask any questions.
Speaker 10: The CBS thing was a little weird. A few weeks ago, I was actually traveling, so I missed a lot of that narrative the Denver Post thing. I'll say this, guys, and I know you guys have covered a beat and maybe you disagree. It's not that I love what Dion did, but if you listen, if you read some of the things that this particular writer has said about Dion, I think it does cross the line from uh, from being critical to kind of being personal. I think one of the quotes was, he's the Bruce Lee of BS blah blah blah blah blah this and that. And guys, I have a writing background just like you guys do, and I it's I'm not anti being critical. That's part of the job. And I would hope that Dion understands that. But I think we all know that there's kind of a line where it goes from being critical to being personal. Now, I think I think that's something that maybe could be addressed behind closed doors, and if it continued, and maybe it has been addressed behind closed doors. But I will say, you know, guys, we've all you know, we've all been in those press rooms, we've all been in whatever and I still believe that that having that credential around your neck is a privilege, not a right. And I just I think some of the stuff that I've read that this guy has written has felt personal. Now again, I wish this was something that that had been maybe and by the way, and again, I know i'm continuing, you know, I'm rambling here, But maybe it has been addressed and the guy wasn't toning it down. I don't know, but I did think that at times some of it did come become a little bit personal for the guy from the Denver Post specifically.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's fair. You know.
Speaker 5: My My only thing with it is you're Deon Sanders. You know, this guy doesn't hold a candle to you, and why are you, you know, giving him that?
Speaker 10: Of course, the counter to that is it's because he's exactly what you know. I don't think Breton bret. I don't think Brett Brennan can do that. I think Kyle Whittingham can do that. But Dion Cannon, I'm not saying that makes it okay. I'm not saying it makes it okay. I'm just saying but, but I think to your point, I do agree that I'm sure. You know, he hears worse from the fans every time he walks out of the tunnel. I'm sure he hears worse from uh when he was a player. So you know, maybe you let it go.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I mean, I don't necessarily disagree that maybe it's just something that that's part of the job and you have to deal with. I do think, like I said, I I said it a few times. I think some of the stuff this guy said got a little bit personal, and you know, maybe it's something that two guys just need to behind closed doors and uh and talk it out. But but I that that's kind of where I stand on that.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's that's fair enough, fair enough, all right, Well I get you know, going back to what we were you were talking about Minagle. I'm just excited about seeing how all this is going to work, how the playoff is going to impact the season. Right, Florida State already lost, but you know last year they had gone, we're out of the playoff, and now you know they're still in it, and and you know, good for them, but uh, you know you are you're right, I mean, you know, Alabama caud have four losses when when was the last time that happened? Uh, you know those kinds of things are I'm interested to see how all that shakes out.
Speaker 10: No, no doubt. And but you know I still think so First of all, I agree with you one hundred percent, but you know, I do think there's like a fine line between you want to be careful in not overreacting, right, but you also have to be like realistic. Right, So, like Florida State's a great exam Like I'll give you a different example, right, Like Clemson could lose to Georgia by thirty this weekend and they'll have no impact at all on if they make the playoff, right, if they win the ACC it doesn't matter, But I do But but how does it happen?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 10: And so like with Florida State, you know, I was doing my radio show on Saturday night, and you know, people were saying, oh, you're overreacting, da da da dah. And it's like, okay, maybe, but you got pushed around at the line of scrimmage and that's supposed to be an area of strength. And you know, getting beat up by a team that you're not supposed to get beat up by, you know, that's probably not a great sign for the rest of the season. And so to your point day, it's like, you know, I think that's gonna be kind of in it. Like you said, how does it play out? Like, you know, what are the is there? By the way, is there a trend that happens early in the year that you can point to and say, well, these two or three teams they took a bad loss, but you know what, they were able to rebound and it wasn't a big deal versus the two or three teams, And it's like, oh, that team, you know, we should have seen it coming, I guess. And so it's what's gonna make it fun? I will say, I am actually very curious what the responses are come Monday and Tuesday of next week. Again, if a Clemson lo is it the end of the world? Are we not as crazy about it? I don't know.
Speaker 11: I don't know how it's gonna be, but I'm excited to want.
Speaker 6: We gotta go. Thank you very much, Erin, thanks the whole bunch as always do you soon appreciate.
Speaker 10: You, fellas I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: We'll talk soon, Okat thank you? Hey we gotta go? Great?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hey, pick it up on the podcast. Will be back next week, Oh no, tomorrow, we got tomorrow. I forget Tomorrow's not Saturday. All right, we'll be back tomorrow. Talk you later.